Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,676 members, 7,816,777 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (849) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4438889 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (846) (847) (848) (849) (850) (851) (852) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 7:56pm On Aug 10, 2019
No you can't do part liquidation, it has to be all.

The calculation rather should be 21m - 120k = 20,880,000. The sum maybe slightly less if the bank uses some charges as their usual way of cheat.

globalresource:

You mean if I want to liquidate everything? Is it not possible to liquidate part of it?

What I need is 7m

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 8:24pm On Aug 10, 2019
Acidosis:

3m plot of land + fence and CofO for 4M? That's impossible. Survey in Ogun states goes for 250-500k. And getting a survey is just one step to obtaining a CofO o.

Besides, why would anyone risk a 4M plot of land for a "paltry" 8M after 7 years when TBills at compounded interest rate (13.57%) would yield 9.8M over the same 7 year period?

That's a terrible investment decision even without being aware of the risk factors (land grabbers, legal issues, stress of getting a new buyer, agency fees, etc.)

Very valid concerns but I think you would agree that buying the land from established real estate companies would extirpate majority of these risks.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 8:32pm On Aug 10, 2019
condomuser:
Gone are the days when they tell you "Land keeps appreciating", the insecurity in naija doesn't allow for lots of diversity in landed properties today. It is better to buy property in a choice location with COfO at reasonable price than go and buy land inside a bush and wait 20 years for development to enter the area, often at-times stories go begin enter the land.

Greedy men everywia, I rather eat my sweat than allow some local land re-sellers use my money to drink pepper soup.

I recently sold a land that i bough at N3m in ibeju Lekki in 2011 at N3.5 million due to stories that were sounding like pasuma music to my ears, i have decided to eat peppersoup with the money until it finishes. A plate of peppersoup currently goes for N1,200, that means i can eat 2,916 plates of peppersoup grin.

What plate are you on now? shocked
I like peppersoup too grin

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 9:11pm On Aug 10, 2019
kamsy4God:
Stanbic ibtc secondary market rates today :
104 days = 10.9%
160 days = 11.4%
258 days = 11.5%

I did 160 days.
smiley
I also keyed into 160days.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 9:16pm On Aug 10, 2019
globalresource:

You mean if I want to liquidate everything? Is it not possible to liquidate part of it?

What I need is 7m
Tbill is not fixed deposit.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ibk2020: 9:20pm On Aug 10, 2019
igbizen:

I also keyed into 160days.

pls is the recent secondary rate, more better than recent primary auction rate?

pls I need answer
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DInkMan(m): 10:27pm On Aug 10, 2019
RealityShot:
chigo4u
it was supposed to be next wednesday..
but pub. Holidays...

so it will be till next 3 weeks because you cannnot submit form before wed.

You sure? I submitted my bid this week at Stanbic for the 14th auction. I will see how it pans out.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 10:27pm On Aug 10, 2019
RealityShot:
chigo4u
it was supposed to be next wednesday..
but pub. Holidays...

so it will be till next 3 weeks because you cannnot submit form before wed.
Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vazsily(m): 10:52pm On Aug 10, 2019
TotoNaRubber:
You can buy from trusted Abokis in the streets or you can buy from people remitting funds to Nigeria depending on your location.

But you need to have an account domiciled in the currency you want to invest in, there are banks with little withdrawals fees, make inquiries regarding the banks and give us a feedback. Usually you need a minimum opening balance of $100.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IkalaiyeLOTO: 2:34pm On Aug 11, 2019
C505:
@ freeman67, tritritri, desanta, ahiboilandgas for your wisdom. God's blessings continually be upon you and all of us aspiring for a common goal.

Let me stick with my MM and TB.
I was trying not to put all eggs in a basket but this basket still looks OK

Thanks house

Narrow escape grin

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 4:42pm On Aug 11, 2019
Bamz:

Very valid concerns but I think you would agree that buying the land from established real estate companies would extirpate majority of these risks.
Very true bro
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 735i(m): 5:22pm On Aug 11, 2019
kamsy4God:
104 days = 10.9%
160 days = 11.4%
258 days = 11.5%

I did 160 days.
smiley

Do you not think that shorter tenors is the way to go at this time? Huge maturities ahead and pressure on reserves should force meffy raise rates...no?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 6:33pm On Aug 11, 2019
735i:

Do you not think that shorter tenors is the way to go at this time? Huge maturities ahead and pressure on reserves should force meffy raise rates...no?
yes
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 8:56pm On Aug 11, 2019
Acidosis:
Very true bro

Who's had experience with real estate companies like Adron?

Are there other reputable coys like them?

My colleague just opened my eyes to sth I thought I should have known. Getting a loan to buy a land for long term keeps and resale makes so much sense. Let's say a Microfinance firm gives you 1.5m (to pay 300k interest). That 1.5m can be used to get land assets that would take care of the paid interest and still yield some profit in a few years.

The only risk I'm seeing is maybe lack of buyers but this isn't a risk per see esp if one consults planners to estimate tu e potential of a particular area.

I need opinions here.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 9:01pm On Aug 11, 2019
Ahaaaaa
What if you buy a land in dispute and give the scammers the whole N1.5 million and become Aaron grin

In Nigeria, you have to look at the risks first before profits.

Bamz:

My colleague just opened my eyes to sth I thought I should have known. Getting a loan to buy a land for long term keeps and resale makes so much sense. Let's say a Microfinance firm gives you 1.5m (to pay 300k interest). That 1.5m can be used to get land assets that would take care of the paid interest and still yield some profit in a few years.

The only risk I'm seeing is maybe lack of buyers but this isn't a risk per see esp if one consults planners to estimate tu e potential of a particular area.

I need opinions here.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by C505: 9:44pm On Aug 11, 2019
IkalaiyeLOTO:

Narrow escape grin

For your mind.

I asked for directions and good Samaritans offered their help and you say narrow escape

Abi dem sended you?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by utepu: 9:53pm On Aug 11, 2019
Bro, what are your strategies? Please share as I am tired of bad tenants

Your post didn't clarify how a court can get my money for me should such deviant tenant disappears. And Yes, talking out of experience, a bad one at that. Had to wake early to attend court hearings, paid exorbitant legal fee, and the idiot packed out his properties unknown to me ,cos i don't live in the house, one of the tenants living there called me to come as this guy was busy destroying anything good in the house (WC, meter board, kitchen cabinets, wardrobe ) . Was lucky to meet him at the exact time the truck he brought was about to leave, then the blood shed was so gruesome ,my compound was stained with blood. Since that bloody incident, i chose not to approach a court for such case, I've adopted my strategies, and it's working. [/quote]

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by utepu: 9:56pm On Aug 11, 2019
Bro, what are your strategies? Please share as I am tired of bad tenants
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 10:01pm On Aug 11, 2019
TotoNaRubber:
Ahaaaaa
What if you buy a land in dispute and give the scammers the whole N1.5 million and become Aaron grin

In Nigeria, you have to look at the risks first before profits.

If you've been following the land discussion closely, I talked about dealing with reputable real estate companies.

A company like Adron would get a joint CofO. Maybe you should clarify your statements cos I'm confused.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by papadoculus(m): 10:19pm On Aug 11, 2019
kamsy4God:
104 days = 10.9%
160 days = 11.4%
258 days = 11.5%

I did 160 days.
smiley
Are you for real?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 6:31am On Aug 12, 2019
Bamz:

I need opinions here.
which mfb will give loan at 20% one-time charge till whenever you can pay up?

Sir, mfbs charge their rates PER MONTH mostly.
So that 300k will be demanded every month till you sell the land!!!

Leave land alone till you have money to invest and wait for 10-15 years before you start getting profit.
Flipping real estate requires A LOT OF LUCK.

And please, did that FRIEND tell you what the "aDron" will charge?

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 7:38am On Aug 12, 2019
Bamz:

I need opinions here.

The only issue is that when you buy a land from companies like ADRON, you're not allowed to sell at your own rate. The company do the valuation, and take a certain percentage of the proceeds. Also, note that with companies like ADRON, a land purchased for residential purpose cannot be used for commercial or investment purposes. When you buy for the purpose of investment or commercial, you pay more. These are some of the well spelt clauses on ADRON's Contract of Sales (I have a copy btw). ADRON has been advertising some of their estates for close to 5 years now, so are you gonna wait until they go out of sale? You can't sell higher than their readily available offers.

Some of the benefits include ease of payment/installments (sometimes up to 5 years). However, this also comes with extra sum. That is, when you choose e.g. a 5-year package, you pay significantly higher than the actual value of the land. To sell this kind of land to a new owner might not produce expected profits especially when the coy has several or other similar plots to sell at cheaper rates with installment privileges.

You can compare these terms with other property and real estate companies. I'm sure you will do the proper and due diligence because reputation is a key issue.

I'm not advertising though but you can check LandLagos (they're new, owners of Pork Money), they've got some of the best and interesting deals I've ever seen. My engagement with one of their subsidiary enterprise showed positive and legitimate results.

There are many ways of producing some profits from that loan by investing in some emerging, disruptive and innovative firms in Nigeria, only issue is many of us don't want to hear anything aside TBills and Bonds.

12 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:41am On Aug 12, 2019
RealityShot:
which mfb will give loan at 20% one-time charge till whenever you can pay up?

Sir, mfbs charge their rates PER MONTH mostly.
So that 300k will be demanded every month till you sell the land!!!

Leave land alone till you have money to invest and wait for 10-15 years before you start getting profit.
Flipping real estate requires A LOT OF LUCK.

And please, did that FRIEND tell you what the "aDron" will charge?

Bros dis one na long story...@Bamz Why not tell your friend to go get the loan and buy d land, after 2 yr..ask him how far..

Make sure he gives u prove of any result..

The Good news is ..Microfinance will be dere after 2yr.. land are always dere ,

If Na loan dey hungry you , Be careful of nigeria banks .

Why not sale ur car use the money for ur BIZ ? if it goes wrong ..after 1 yr ur left with a land and no car. dis is better dan after 1 yr ur left with a land , no rest of mind from d bank, then ur collateral will be taken ?

Using a loan to start a biz ..U must be new to LIFE .

I wish u the best.

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 8:27am On Aug 12, 2019
tritritri:

Bros dis one na long story...@Bamz Why not tell your friend to go get the loan and buy d land, after 2 yr..ask him how far..

Make sure he gives u prove of any result..

The Good news is ..Microfinance will be dere after 2yr.. land are always dere ,

If Na loan dey hungry you , Be careful of nigeria banks .

Why not sale ur car use the money for ur BIZ ? if it goes wrong ..after 1 yr ur left with a land and no car. dis is better dan after 1 yr ur left with a land , no rest of mind from d bank, then ur collateral will be taken ?

Using a loan to start a biz ..U must be new to LIFE.

I wish u the best.

So, why do people take loan exactly?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 12, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
So, why do people take loan exactly?

To scale/expand proven business models.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Hallenjay: 9:50am On Aug 12, 2019
NL1960:

I = ( P * R * T ) / 365*100 = 250,000 * 10 * 200 / 36500 = 500000000/36500 = 13,698.63

P = Principal

R = Rate

T = Tenor

I = Interest

Discounted Amount (DA) = P - I = 250,000 - 13,698.63 = 236,301.37 (excluding charges)
pls which bank is better in term of interest and dat have a minimum of 100k for a start in TB... I've tried fixed deposit many times wit fcmb I gat got nothing. Like 0.5% or less something I can't relate with.
Kindly help... Someone suggest First bank I don't know if there's another else cos I don't like dem
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 10:19am On Aug 12, 2019
Hallenjay:
pls which bank is better in term of interest and dat have a minimum of 100k for a start in TB... I've tried fixed deposit many times wit fcmb I gat got nothing. Like 0.5% or less something I can't relate with.
Kindly help... Someone suggest First bank I don't know if there's another else cos I don't like dem

I use Stanbic and so far i have been fine with their primary market rate. Never done secondary market.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Hallenjay: 10:33am On Aug 12, 2019
NL1960:

I use Stanbic and so far i have been fine with their primary market rate. Never done secondary market.
I've 100k for Start now... Do they accept dat and opening a new account for dt purpose, hope there's no conditions dt I'll av. To wait for certain year or months
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 1:07pm On Aug 12, 2019
Acidosis:

The only issue is that when you buy a land from companies like ADRON, you're not allowed to sell at your own rate. The company do the valuation, and take a certain percentage of the proceeds. Also, note that with companies like ADRON, a land purchased for residential purpose cannot be used for commercial or investment purposes. When you buy for the purpose of investment or commercial, you pay more. These are some of the well spelt clauses on ADRON's Contract of Sales (I have a copy btw). ADRON has been advertising some of their estates for close to 5 years now, so are you gonna wait until they go out of sale? You can't sell higher than their readily available offers.

Some of the benefits include ease of payment/installments (sometimes up to 5 years). However, this also comes with extra sum. That is, when you choose e.g. a 5-year package, you pay significantly higher than the actual value of the land. To sell this kind of land to a new owner might not produce expected profits especially when the coy has several or other similar plots to sell at cheaper rates with installment privileges.

You can compare these terms with other property and real estate companies. I'm sure you will do the proper and due diligence because reputation is a key issue.

I'm not advertising though but you can check LandLagos (they're new, owners of Pork Money), they've got some of the best and interesting deals I've ever seen. My engagement with one of their subsidiary enterprise showed positive and legitimate results.

There are many ways of producing some profits from that loan by investing in some emerging, disruptive and innovative firms in Nigeria, only issue is many of us don't want to hear anything aside TBills and Bonds.

Thank you so much for your comprehensive response.
From the foregoing, it is clear that real estate coys would do all they can to discourage you from reselling then. This leaves one with the tacky option of getting a land from private sellers and doing all the necessary things to secure the land.

I'm interested in knowing more about the above for people that may have access to loans.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 2:33pm On Aug 12, 2019
Bamz:

Thank you so much for your comprehensive response.
From the foregoing, it is clear that real estate coys would do all they can to discourage you from reselling then. This leaves one with the tacky option of getting a land from private sellers and doing all the necessary things to secure the land.

I'm interested in knowing more about the above for people that may have access to loans.

Bro, these options are everywhere o (I just mentioned two). I usually don't recommend because I don't want to be held accountable for any glitch (our choices should be based on our risk appetites).

Nevertheless, you can look up the two previously mentioned options. I'm also an ardent fan of credible fintechs, especially Agric fintechs like Farmcrowdy (now Crowdyvest), and financial tech firms offering fixed deposit investments. An example is Paylater (now Carbon). Carbon offers fixed deposit for very short tenors like 3 days, 7 days, 14 days, 1 month.

Personally, if I have access to a big loan with a flexible repayment term, I will look the way of Farmcrowdy reason being that their interest rates are not annualised like TBills or Fixed deposit. 15% is 15% whether it is 3 months, 6 months or more [no tax, no deductions; same model with Pork Money, however, tenor is fixed 11 months]

You can check the website or download Farmcrowdy App on playstore. You can also follow these guys on Facebook, read more about them and make your decision.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ibechris(m): 2:57pm On Aug 12, 2019
Jgoldie:

I was confronted by a guy in access bank,he said i should fill the hida form...high interest stuff..is it same as treasury bill

Don't partake in HIDA account ...the interest is not in any way equal to treasury bill. I opened mine in 2010 and ever since,I don't enjoy it a bit. Na marketing thing not as real as its being advertised.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SaintHilary(m): 6:04pm On Aug 12, 2019
After reading 849pages in 2days, I must b loyal to all d silent big men in dis thread...Ena dey call money like say na person name embarassed and person busy dey argue for Ashawo thread cry
But that wont stop me from investing my small 200k in the next auction though cheesy
Rome wasn't built in a day...ena too much abeg!!!!

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (846) (847) (848) (849) (850) (851) (852) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Edukpo and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.