Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,907 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (853) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4439279 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (850) (851) (852) (853) (854) (855) (856) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acme77: 7:39am On Aug 17, 2019
Please I do not understand these banks. I went to Zenith and was told only 1 million upwards. Also at Stanbic IBTC, was told secondary has ended. Only primary is on. But I thought the rates been display was on the 15th. So why are they saying secondary has ended. And why will Zenith say only a million naira upwards can invest?

In Zenith Bank, the least is a million naira.
You may decide to use First Bank. The least amount in 100 thousand naira.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mimini: 9:14am On Aug 17, 2019
amjustme2:
Prolly you got to the bank later than 3pm for Second Market.

As for limit, some banks set their own minimum. Some 100k, others 200k. Don't know about Zenith's

Thank you.
Was there by 3pm. So does it mean I have missed Tbill for this month?
When then is the next Tbill rate and how do I ensure I don't miss d next one? Am I suppose to apply to the bank before the rates comes out? I am confused because I was at the bank the next day after seeing the rates.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by billtommy(m): 9:27am On Aug 17, 2019
CompareDBest:
Right time to invest?

Secondary market rates across commercial banks have risen in the last few days. Some rates we have seen:

https://comparedbest.com/ng/stanbic-ibtc-bank-nigeria.html
Stanbic IBTC (today) 12.8% for 175 days
Stanbic IBTC (today) 12.7% for 49 days
Stanbic IBTC (today) 12.25% for 259 days

https://comparedbest.com/ng/zenith-bank-nigeria.html
Zenith (yesterday) 12% for 344 days

More commercial banks tbills rates ranked top-to-bottom: https://comparedbest.com/ng/best-nigerian-treasury-bill-rates.html

Even Fixed Deposits are looking up...Ecobank has rates starting from 10.25% for less than a million Naira: https://comparedbest.com/ng/ecobank-nigeria.html .

Or wait for even more rate rises? What do you think...

What time of the day do you update the daily rates on your website?

It will do more good if it can be gotten around 1pm everyday. It would drive more traffic to your website while you save investors of the daily hassle of jumping from one bank to the other...looking for the best rate.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by amjustme2: 10:19am On Aug 17, 2019
10am till about 2pm DAILY would be a safe time to inquire about Secondary market rate

mimini:

Thank you.
Was there by 3pm. So does it mean I have missed Tbill for this month?
When then is the next Tbill rate and how do I ensure I don't miss d next one? Am I suppose to apply to the bank before the rates comes out? I am confused because I was at the bank the next day after seeing the rates.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mimini: 10:54am On Aug 17, 2019
But has the Tbill for the secondary rates published 15th August ended in all banks? I really want to be part of it.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 11:35am On Aug 17, 2019

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by forlahkhe: 2:43pm On Aug 17, 2019
A COURT IN LONDON AWARDED 3 TRILLION NAIRA JUDGMENT AGAINST NIGERIA......

please, will this affect tbills?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by drdrei09: 3:38pm On Aug 17, 2019
If I put 2 million in treasury bill, what's the least amount I'm likely to get as interesting, please?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 3:39pm On Aug 17, 2019
forlahkhe:
A COURT IN LONDON AWARDED 3 TRILLION NAIRA JUDGMENT AGAINST NIGERIA......

please, will this affect tbills?

No, it won't. N3 trillion is just half of Zenith bank's total assets.

Moreover, history of treasury bills in Nigeria dates back to 1960, just a year after the establishment of CBN. If the total corruption and looting of 59 years did not affect TBills at any point in time, it won't because of a 3 trillion naira judgment in a Nigerian London court.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 3:42pm On Aug 17, 2019
drdrei09:
If I put 2 million in treasury bill, what's the least amount I'm likely to get as interesting, please?

It is irrational to put 2 million in a venture you know nothing about. Keep your money, and understand/learn the dynamics before delving into it.

Trust me, no one will answer your question as far as this thread is concerned.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by forlahkhe: 3:56pm On Aug 17, 2019
Thank u my bro for trowing more light on ds......I don dey fear o.

Acidosis:

No, it won't. N3 trillion is just half of Zenith bank's total assets.

Moreover, history of treasury bills in Nigeria dates back to 1960, just a year after the establishment of CBN. If the total corruption and looting of 59 years did not affect TBills at any point in time, it won't because of a 3 trillion naira judgment in a Nigerian London court.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by drdrei09: 4:37pm On Aug 17, 2019
Acidosis:

It is irrational to put 2 million in a venture you know nothing about. Keep your money, and understand/learn the dynamics before delving into it.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 5:21pm On Aug 17, 2019
drdrei09:
Calculating the least amount you will get requires three information from you. These are Principal, Tenor and Rate. You have only provided Principal.

Na only 'winch' fit know the Tenor and Rate wen dey your mind. I no be 'winch'. cheesy grin

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by drdrei09: 5:27pm On Aug 17, 2019
NL1960:

Calculating the least amount you will get requires three information from you. These are Principal, Tenor and Rate. You have only provided Principal.

Na only 'winch' fit know the Tenor and Rate wen dey your mind. I no be 'winch'. cheesy grin
The tenure is 91 days.
I don't know how to get the rate angry

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mimini: 5:30pm On Aug 17, 2019
mimini:

But has the Tbill for the secondary rates published 15th August ended in all banks? I really want to be part of it.

pls someone should answer this question.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Boyhood: 6:32pm On Aug 17, 2019
mimini:

From your question, its obvious you still don't understand the whole concept of T-bills. but let me try to answer your question
Each bank has its secondary rates separate depending on the availability. If a particular bank tells you they don't have at the moment, just go to the next bank you will surely get. But the secondary rates in next bank will differ from what the first bank will offer you oh..

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 6:44pm On Aug 17, 2019
mimini:

pls someone should answer this question.

T-bills secondary market is a form of black market with no form of coordination or predetermined timeline across all banks. When it comes to secondary market, no two banks have the same or predetermined tenor or rates. The banks simply sell to you what they bought from an existing holder of Treasury Bills.

It's a process of buying from those who wish to terminate their investments, so there are no predetermined rates or tenors. You need to approach any bank of your choice to know whether such offers are available.

As per primary market, auction takes place fortnightly at the same time in all banks. Note, it's an auction, and you're not even permitted to state your own rate. Unless you're investing N50m+, the banks simply bid on your behalf (together with other customers).

When CBN's stop rate for an auction is 11%, and your bank tender a bid of 11.5%, the bank lose out for that period. To scale the hurdle, whatever your bank bids must fall in the range of CBN's stop rate. Don't bother asking anyone what CBN rates are for the next auction because nobody knows, including your bank manager. They only bid and predict using some dynamics such as previous stop rates, FG policies, inflation, etc.

Also note that the fact you're buying from the primary market doesn't imply you're getting better rates than those buying from the secondary market.
Which is better? Well, no one can answer that. Whichever offers an individual better rates at any point in time is better.

16 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ijeoma660(f): 7:04pm On Aug 17, 2019
Acidosis:

T-bills secondary market is a form of black market with no form of coordination or predetermined timeline across all banks. When it comes to secondary market, no two banks have the same or predetermined tenor or rates. The banks simply sell to you what they bought from an existing holder of Treasury Bills.

It's a process of buying from those who wish to terminate their investments, so there are no predetermined rates or tenors. You need to approach any bank of your choice to know whether such offers are available.

As per primary market, auction takes place fortnightly at the same time in all banks. Note, it's an auction, and you're not even permitted to state your own rate. Unless you're investing N50m+, the banks simply bid on your behalf (together with other customers).

When CBN's stop rate for an auction is 11%, and your bank tender a bid of 11.5%, the bank lose out for that period. To scale the hurdle, whatever your bank bids must fall in the range of CBN's stop rate. Don't bother asking anyone what CBN rates are for the next auction because nobody knows, including your bank manager. They only bid and predict using some dynamics such as previous stop rates, FG policies, inflation, etc.

Also note that the fact you're buying from the primary market doesn't imply you're getting better rates than those buying from the secondary market.
Which is better? Well, no one can answer that. Whichever offers an individual better rates at any point in time is better.

Excellent stuff....exactly what I was trying to explain to a colleague

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by forlahkhe: 8:11pm On Aug 17, 2019
Pls, do u mean if I have account wt gtb, I can go and buy secondary tbills in stambic if stambic has higher rate? Or u must have an account with whichever bank u want to buy secondary tbills from.

Acidosis:

[/b][b][b][/b]

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 17, 2019
Acidosis:

So u go school like this eeh?
Salute.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by globalresource: 8:14pm On Aug 17, 2019
forlahkhe:
Pls, do u mean if I have account wt gtb, I can go and buy secondary tbills in stambic if stambic has higher rate? Or u must have an account with whichever bank u want to buy secondary tbills from.

You need an account with them I believe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by drdrei09: 8:24pm On Aug 17, 2019
Acidosis:

please, I wish to talk to you privately. If you're less busy, I'll like you to explain some things to me. Can I drop my email address?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Anatech(m): 9:27pm On Aug 17, 2019
Acme77:
Please I do not understand these banks. I went to Zenith and was told only 1 million upwards. Also at Stanbic IBTC, was told secondary has ended. Only primary is on. But I thought the rates been display was on the 15th. So why are they saying secondary has ended. And why will Zenith say only a million naira upwards can invest?

In Zenith Bank, the least is a million naira.
You may decide to use First Bank. The least amount in 100 thousand naira.

Yes that maybe their policy, you know of recent you can only invest in the primary market if you have 50,000,000 (Fifty Million Naira), what bank do is that they collect a large pool of investment, collecting large sums will ease their management as they will be a limited number of people to manage, that will be the main reason why they only accept not less than 1,000,000

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kristien4(m): 11:47pm On Aug 17, 2019
Akin3891:

Your post didn't clarify how a court can get my money for me should such deviant tenant disappears. And Yes, talking out of experience, a bad one at that. Had to wake early to attend court hearings, paid exorbitant legal fee, and the idiot packed out his properties unknown to me ,cos i don't live in the house, one of the tenants living there called me to come as this guy was busy destroying anything good in the house (WC, meter board, kitchen cabinets, wardrobe ) . Was lucky to meet him at the exact time the truck he brought was about to leave, then the blood shed was so gruesome ,my compound was stained with blood. Since that bloody incident, i chose not to approach a court for such case, I've adopted my strategies, and it's working.
Please what are your strategies, educate me.. i have wicked tenants too..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 5:15am On Aug 18, 2019
forlahkhe:

You need to have an account with the bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 5:16am On Aug 18, 2019
sassysure:

So u go school like this eeh?
Salute.
grin Thanks, and thanks to the thread, school no teach me this kain thing

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 5:17am On Aug 18, 2019
drdrei09:
please, I wish to talk to you privately. If you're less busy, I'll like you to explain some things to me. Can I drop my email address?
You can send a pm
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 8:33am On Aug 18, 2019
What will happen to dollar, now that the FG is stopping CBN from giving Forex to food importers. And how will food prices go?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by papadoculus(m): 1:53pm On Aug 18, 2019
I just found this mouth watery rates on I-invest

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 4:03pm On Aug 18, 2019
papadoculus:
I just found this mouth watery rates on I-invest

Is this one mouth watery.......abi u were not here when we invested at 18%.....

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dannywest01: 4:36pm On Aug 18, 2019
zamirikpo:

Is this one mouth watery.......abi u were not here when we invested at 18%.....
it is mouth watering considering the rates we have been getting for some time now.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 7:57pm On Aug 18, 2019
It looks alright but it seems they hold your interest until maturity, they don't pay upfront, the recurring interests in itself is mouthwatering grin

dannywest01:
it is mouth watering considering the rates we have been getting for some time now.

(1) (2) (3) ... (850) (851) (852) (853) (854) (855) (856) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: enque(f) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.