Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,078 members, 7,818,232 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (866) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4442225 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (863) (864) (865) (866) (867) (868) (869) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by billtommy(m): 11:47am On Sep 08, 2019
DigitalMallam:
Dear House,

With current economic climate in Nigeria, I contemplating switching from TBill to Eurobonnd. Though i know the A-Z of TBill but have little knowledge of the later, I've been to Stanbic to do some research and was told I will need to open a domiciliary account which is a current account, from my experience with current a/c in Nigeria, I'm aware it attract some form of maintenance fees.

Which will be more profitable Eurobond or TBill, I don't want to lose my hard earned savings due to the looming devaluation, I can't stand another situation whereby the Naira will shed huge chunk of its value to devaluation. I've few more years to retirement.

Honest professional advised needed.

Someone should please attend to this question. Im sure i am not the only one awaiting the response

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Etfash(m): 1:42pm On Sep 08, 2019
billtommy:

Someone should please attend to this question. Im sure i am not the only one awaiting the response

You can open the domiciliary account under your Naira account and request that charges on the dom. account be taken from the Naira account.

Regarding the Tbills and Eurobond, the rate for the latter is definitely lower, the difference in rate could be as high as 6%. If you consider that the Naira may shed more than 6% of its current value, then, the Eurobond may be beneficial in the short term; in the long term, this is not guaranteed ( personally, I feel the Naira will eventually get stronger after this year, because of the reduction in Food importation and potential 70%+ cut in petroleum products import which I envisage will cut the demand on the dollar significantly).

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 4:02pm On Sep 08, 2019
Philantropists:
Guys i have a question, I want to offer scholarship to my brother's child, he just informed me the nursery school fees per semester is N300,000 i.e. N900,000 per year for a 3 year old child.

Question 1; i'm not current with the school fees for nursery pupils, do nursery school school children pay this much for good quality schools in the eastern part of Nigeria.

Question 2; Can i invest N10 million in Treasury bills on behalf of the child and they can use the interest payments to pay the child's school fees or rather go for bonds.
1) 300k is quite on the high side for a nursery pupil, however I feel your brother has a taste for quality education and so has his kids in there.

there are so many schools out there that can offer as much quality education for lesser fee.

2) Yes you can invest in, but your capital may be stagnant year in year out. as almost all the interest made will be put into the child's education at 10-11%.
Because of the dynamic rate change, Bonds may be best for you. lock in the cash for 5-6yrs at a far much higher rate for that child

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 4:57pm On Sep 08, 2019
Philantropists:
Guys i have a question, I want to offer scholarship to my brother's child, he just informed me the nursery school fees per semester is N300,000 i.e. N900,000 per year for a 3 year old child.

Question 1; i'm not current with the school fees for nursery pupils, do nursery school school children pay this much for good quality schools in the eastern part of Nigeria.

Question 2; Can i invest N10 million in Treasury bills on behalf of the child and they can use the interest payments to pay the child's school fees or rather go for bonds.

Ask him for the name of the school. Then google it and get their contact. I doubt a school charging that high will not have a website or a contact. Then send a mail to them to inquire of their fees. Do not give your surname to them as they can easily use that to match to your brother's surname.

14 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:05pm On Sep 08, 2019
Philantropists:

If I may ask what happened to your brother, that you want to be fully responsible for the education of his child?

What happens if he decides to have the second, third, fourth and fifth child?

The most important thing is to make sure you have a system and structure in place that will ensure the sustainability of the help you want to render to brother's child(ren) till they finish their University education. You should know that this is something you will do for the next 18 to 20 years.

I want you to carry out a personal investigation to determine the average school fees for Nursery classes in that part of the country. I have been a victim whereby a relative, I assisted with her child school fees was collecting three times of the school fees from me. This continued for 2 years before the truth came out. The relative connived with the management of the school, by giving me inflated school fees bill.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by akinonigbinde: 5:31pm On Sep 08, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Biakwa: 7:00pm On Sep 08, 2019
Good day,

Please what was the last stop rate for primary NTB sale for 90,180,and 364

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Philantropists: 7:33pm On Sep 08, 2019
Good you asked, he is not financially stable at the moment, i believed taking care of his child's school will lift 10 percent of his burden off. I intend to give him a cheque of N10 million but i thought about him using the money to womanize and finish it in one year then i feel Treasury bills or Bonds will yield N1.3 million per year at 13%. If he decides to have other children he will cater for them, i can only assist to an extent.

I believe TBills or Bonds yields will put this particular child through up till University level at annual interest of N1.3 million a year.
Wow a relative of yours connived with the school mgt, people are just mean. i will try see how this can be avoided.

emmanuelewumi:

If I may ask what happened to your brother, that you want to be fully responsible for the education of his child?

The most important thing is to make sure you have a system and structure in place that will ensure the sustainability of the help you want to render to brother's child(ren) till they finish their University education. You should know that this is something you will do for the next 18 to 20 years.

I want you to carry out a personal investigation to determine the average school fees for Nursery classes in that part of the country. I have been a victim whereby a relative, I assisted with her child school fees was collecting three times of the school fees from me. This continued for 2 years before the truth came out. The relative connived with the management of the school, by giving me inflated school fees bill.

Ok i will do that, they are based in a city called Enugu, do you have idea how much good nursery schools charge as his quote seems to be high, I guess there are good private schools taking between N100k to N150k. Sorry if you are not based in this area, just thought i'd ask.

Thanks
NL1960:

Ask him for the name of the school. Then google it and get their contact. I doubt a school charging that high will not have a website or a contact. Then send a mail to them to inquire of their fees. Do not give your surname to them as they can easily use that to match to your brother's surname.

Could you pls provide me with some info for some schools if you have, they are based in Enugu, I can actually make inquiries on his behalf and make recommendations.
Thanks
chukzyfcbb:

1) 300k is quite on the high side for a nursery pupil, however I feel your brother has a taste for quality education and so has his kids in there.

there are so many schools out there that can offer as much quality education for lesser fee.

2) Yes you can invest in, but your capital may be stagnant year in year out. as almost all the interest made will be put into the child's education at 10-11%.
Because of the dynamic rate change, Bonds may be best for you. lock in the cash for 5-6yrs at a far much higher rate for that child

Haha post office indeed, the fees N900k/year for a child that is going there to eat biscuits and watch spider man is high but worth it if there is excess money but in Nigeria, quality is not usually in line with high prices. Wow just N100k for children, abeg give me the contact i will make further inquiries with it and if he agrees i move them to Abuja.
ibechris:

Let them kukuma open post office on your head now...my brother I live and work in Abuja and my two children are in Nursery schools and i pay N100,000 for both of them...

Am not saying that they are lying but at least they should come out it clean. And for the 10million,it will certainly go a long way in helping to pay up his fees but there are times it may not meet up because of low rate.

Ok, I will look intobonds thanks, Nigerian bonds you mean? I will look iinto high tenure bonds as it will yield higher interest.
unite4real:

Go for Bonds as you already have the coupon fixed throughout the tenor which will guide your disbursement for this purpose

Thanks
IkalaiyeLOTO:

Be patient for the answer to your question sir, and be ready to beam more light on this your undertaking grin

It's Enugu
ahiboilandgas:
it depend on state
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 11:35pm On Sep 08, 2019
freeman67:

Oga feelamong I salute you... I must say you are a very patient and understanding (person) somebody ooooo. After all the lecture notes you deposited at the beginning of this thread with everything explained in details lot of people will still come and ask same questions and you still create to to respond to them. Though some may not have enough knowledge on how to navigate threads on Nairaland, others just do not like to commit time and learn about what they want to put money in.
and that is why Nigeria is littered with millions of FAILED businesses!

TELL THEM AGAIN, i beg
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 4:39am On Sep 09, 2019
Philantropists...

"Don't give me the fish eeO!
show me how to fish eeO!
i want to catch e fish eeO!"
...song by I dont remember who lol

do Tbills and get 1.180million at 11.8% interest rate.
give your bro 500k to start rice business plus 180k for shop rent

give your bro another 500k for the childs school fees for this new session.

tell him you will not pay again after this year.
Let him continue with profits from his business.

the truth is he can get schools as low as 15k, but he chose to make you pay for the best plus all expenses for his family for the year!

let me ask you this, how many teachers/workers do you think earn upto 80k monthly?

if that was your bros salary, would he use all of it to pay school fees for ONLY ONE child?

Show him how to catch fish .

i have helped my 2 brothers to start working, i didn't give them a penny. Just motivation and financial education.

.. Good luck Sir

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mekanus(m): 7:00am On Sep 09, 2019
I just stumbled on this thread today. I will have to start reading from page 1 in order to grab more info about this treasury bills. But I want to quickly ask, when will the next Treasury bills auction be?

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 7:20am On Sep 09, 2019
@Philanthropist

My 3 brothers children are in UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA, ENUGU STATE

School fees for nursery school 25k per term

School fees for primary school 35k per term

At least UNN nursery and primary school is among the best in enugu as most of their teachers have a minimum of bsc and most have masters from the university.

Also, last year I visited them....the children are OVER SHARP in terms of education

Please tell your brother to send the child there except you have too much money to do saraka. ....

Please do bond and with the 10M yields from the Bond (maybe 1.3M annually ), you can send over 100 children including you brother's child to that school and the parents of the other children will be praying for you daily.

At oga Emma. ....some people are so ungrateful. ..just imagine the person you want to help cheating you. If I were you, the management of the school will be sued. ...

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 8:28am On Sep 09, 2019
ukay2:
@Philanthropist

My 3 brothers children are in UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA, ENUGU STATE

School fees for nursery school 25k per term

School fees for primary school 35k per term

At least UNN nursery and primary school is among the best in enugu as most of their teachers have a minimum of bsc and most have masters from the university.

Also, last year I visited them....the children are OVER SHARP in terms of education

Please tell your brother to send the child there except you have too much money to do saraka. ....

Please do bond and with the 10M yields from the Bond (maybe 1.3M annually ), you can send over 100 children including you brother's child to that school and the parents of the other children will be praying for you daily.

At oga Emma. ....some people are so ungrateful. ..just imagine the person you want to help cheating you. If I were you, the management of the school will be sued. ...

Management of which school?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dake40(m): 8:49am On Sep 09, 2019
Mekanus:
I just stumbled on this thread today. I will have to start reading from page 1 in order to grab more info about this treasury bills. But I want to quickly ask, when will the next Treasury bills auction be?

This week..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 9:23am On Sep 09, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

Just imagine and iam sure this person will be complaining that we have bad and corrupt leaders. Imagine if such a person now gets to power at LGA, State or Federal level.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 9:31am On Sep 09, 2019
Philantropists:
Good you asked, he is not financially stable at the moment, i believed taking care of his child's school will lift 10 percent of his burden off. I intend to give him a cheque of N10 million but i thought about him using the money to womanize and finish it in one year then i feel Treasury bills or Bonds will yield N1.3 million per year at 13%. If he decides to have other children he will cater for them, i can only assist to an extent.

I believe TBills or Bonds yields will put this particular child through up till University level at annual interest of N1.3 million a year.
Wow a relative of yours connived with the school mgt, people are just mean. i will try see how this can be avoided.

Ok i will do that, they are based in a city called Enugu, do you have idea how much good nursery schools charge as his quote seems to be high, I guess there are good private schools taking between N100k to N150k. Sorry if you are not based in this area, just thought i'd ask.

Thanks

Could you pls provide me with some info for some schools if you have, they are based in Enugu, I can actually make inquiries on his behalf and make recommendations.
Thanks

Haha post office indeed, the fees N900k/year for a child that is going there to eat biscuits and watch spider man is high but worth it if there is excess money but in Nigeria, quality is not usually in line with high prices. Wow just N100k for children, abeg give me the contact i will make further inquiries with it and if he agrees i move them to Abuja.

Ok, I will look intobonds thanks, Nigerian bonds you mean? I will look iinto high tenure bonds as it will yield higher interest.

Thanks

It's Enugu

Do not give him that cheque for 10m. I repeat. Do not give him that cheque for 10m. Do Bond instead of TBs. Bonds pay interest at intervals. That interest at intervals will then be used to settle the school fees every term.

I commend you for wanting to train the child. You can even make it in such a way that when he child finally graduates, if he wants to startup a business, you can give him the 10m as capital.

Btw, iam based in Lagos and not in Enugu. So will not know about schools there. Maybe you should google the Catholic diocese in Enugu and check their websites. Most likely they will have nursery and primary schools and you can tell your brother to take the child to one of them. He cannot connive with such schools.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by temi4fash(m): 9:47am On Sep 09, 2019
Philantropists

You can create a thread on Nairaland and ask on the topic.

You write something about idea on the best schools in Enugu.

RealityShot gave you a very great idea, would make sense if you can implement it

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 9:47am On Sep 09, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 12:02pm On Sep 09, 2019
Rate
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 12:59pm On Sep 09, 2019
It WILL not Might increase.
Donbrig:

Pls, I intend to invest about 14m for next week's tbills, is it better to go for short or long term? Because some are saying rate might increase in few weeks/months to come.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 1:01pm On Sep 09, 2019
Philantropists:

Yes you can.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 1:06pm On Sep 09, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

Nigerians smh

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 1:09pm On Sep 09, 2019
2 weeks time. If you have gt immediate cash to invest this week
Mekanus:
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 1:11pm On Sep 09, 2019
NL1960:

Do not give him that cheque for 10m. I repeat. Do not give him that cheque for 10m. Do Bond instead of TBs. Bonds pay interest at intervals. That interest at intervals will then be used to settle the school fees every term.

I commend you for wanting to train the child. You can even make it in such a way that when he child finally graduates, if he wants to startup a business, you can give him the 10m as capital.

Btw, iam based in Lagos and not in Enugu. So will not know about schools there. Maybe you should google the Catholic diocese in Enugu and check their websites. Most likely they will have nursery and primary schools and you can tell your brother to take the child to one of them. He cannot connive with such schools.

Never ever!!!!!!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Experience4u(m): 3:37pm On Sep 09, 2019
What's the name of the school in enugu, I can make enquiries for you free of charge.[color=#000099][/color]

Philantropists:

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

It's Enugu

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by reservd(m): 6:44pm On Sep 09, 2019
ernie4life:
Rate
What bank pls
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nadico(m): 8:04pm On Sep 09, 2019
[quote author=Philantropists post=82043613]Good you asked, he is not financially stable at the moment, i believed taking care of his child's school will lift 10 percent of his burden off. I intend to give him a cheque of N10 million but i thought about him using the money to womanize and finish it in one year then i feel Treasury bills or Bonds will yield N1.3 million per year at 13%. If he decides to have other children he will cater for them, i can only assist to an extent.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

It's Enugu

That should be pinecrest schools in Enugu cos I believe it's the most expensive now. Fees for extended classes for the upcoming session is about 21k dollars.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 8:27pm On Sep 09, 2019
reservd:

What bank pls

An asset management firm, not a bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chifrando(m): 9:23pm On Sep 09, 2019
Hi guys, please what's the minimum amount to invest?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Just2endowed2(m): 5:59am On Sep 10, 2019
Chifrando:
Hi guys, please what's the minimum amount to invest?
j

Depending on the bank you use. Zenith is 1m; first bank.,ecobank, stanbic, fidelity accept 100k.

Walk in to your bank and make inquiry. But try read from page 1 to 10 to know how it works
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 7:29am On Sep 10, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 10:03am On Sep 10, 2019
DigitalMallam:
Dear House,

With current economic climate in Nigeria, I contemplating switching from TBill to Eurobonnd. Though i know the A-Z of TBill but have little knowledge of the later, I've been to Stanbic to do some research and was told I will need to open a domiciliary account which is a current account, from my experience with current a/c in Nigeria, I'm aware it attract some form of maintenance fees.

Which will be more profitable Eurobond or TBill, I don't want to lose my hard earned savings due to the looming devaluation, I can't stand another situation whereby the Naira will shed huge chunk of its value to devaluation. I've few more years to retirement.

Honest professional advised needed.

I was faced with this dilemma sometime last year when i did some research and saw how much i lost holding Tbills when I should have switched to Eurobonds shortly before the last devaluation of Naira.

However we all need to understand some things, we might never see another major devaluation of up to 100% like we saw the last time, but over time stats have shown that we are all far better off holding dollars.

What i did was to move 40% of my Liquid assets to Eurobonds, while keeping the remaining 40% in Treasury Bills and 20% in Mutual funds.

In the short term, you will be lucky to get up to 10% return in Eurobond..(I was lucky to buy Fidelity bank Eurobond at 10.5% yield) from what i see now its about 8% now. However you can sleep well knowing that the fear of Devaluation will not affect you that badly if and when it comes...however, you will not get up to the 18% we got from Treasury Bills sometime ago.

So my advise is that, it is good for everyone to have some of his liquid assets in Dollars Investments and Eurobonds is the place to be.

If you are also like me that enjoy taking risk....buying Bitcoins is another way to diversify away from Naira (This is a risky bet though)

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (863) (864) (865) (866) (867) (868) (869) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.