Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,508 members, 7,830,522 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (868) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4459873 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (865) (866) (867) (868) (869) (870) (871) ... (2233) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Donbrig: 5:00pm On Sep 11, 2019
[quote author=olujaidi post=82134688]

A fee a brokerage or other financial institution charges for safekeeping services. Safekeeping or custody is a service in which the brokerage or financial institution holds securities on behalf of the client, which reduces the risk of the client losing his/her assets.

There was a CBN circular a few years ago mandating banks to transfer client investments to custodians eg FBN Custodians, Zenith Custodians etc. It was displayed in banking halls all over the country. This means that your investments are no longer domiciled with the bank but with the Custodian. It's an additional layer of risk management

Your bank is simply an agent facilitating investment, divestment and settlement

Thanks for the explanation, but I think all these big big English makes it more easier for financial institutions to deceive ignorant costumers.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 5:15pm On Sep 11, 2019
feelamong:

I dont think its a good idea to rush into a long term TBill deal now.

Naija is broke and the FG needs to borrow over N1TR in this quarter..

I see rates going to as much as 14.5% in the coming weeks.

Just look for good short term secondary market deals and lie there for the small time.....

I normally do long term o as i use it to pay my rent which falls due early October. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 5:20pm On Sep 11, 2019
tijusegele:
So pls guys I juz need response against tomorrow

I walk into FBN to make enquiries and the reply I got was these

I can’t invest in the primary market until the nxt 2 week

Why I will have to come back tomorrow to see the rate of the secondary market

Pls any advise because it seem the bank are not happy when customers come for treasury bills

They said I can do a fixed deposit which is 5.5%, but I turn it down

Though primary market auction is every 2 weeks. According to the 4th quarter NTB calendar posted here recently, there would be another auction next week on 19/09/19. So it means you can still invest in primary market next week if you wish to.

Except there didn't have any available in the secondary market today which is very unlikely or you went after 3:00pm, they ought to have shown/told you the tenure and rate available.

What you should do is to either go to another branch of FirstBank tomorrow if there is another branch where you live or when you go back there tomorrow be very bold to ask of the person in charge of TB.

Tomorrow there is no primary market so you will request to know the tenures and rates available in the secondary market straight. Then choose from whatever is presented to you. If they decline just tell them you will call and notify firstcantact about what transpired. I believe that should suffice..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 5:23pm On Sep 11, 2019
feelamong:

Just look for good short term secondary market deals and lie there for the small time.....

Yes that's what I am going to do for the next one when month ends by God's grace.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:25pm On Sep 11, 2019
Donbrig:

Na waoo, in a country where we are still fighting to have ordinary 30k as minimum wage, having 100m makes you a rich man, and you could have that money working for you all the days of your life inside Nigeria.

I don't have any properties yet. A single house in lekki is 70 million cheapest and drive a Toyota avensis.

That's why I don't feel rich.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tijusegele(m): 6:46pm On Sep 11, 2019
Very correct sir I went there around some minute to 4pm and she said I should com around 10-12

More so all I want to know is should I just settle for secondary market tomorrow dose it make sense or should I wait till 19th sept

freeman67:

Though primary market auction is every 2 weeks. According to the 4th quarter NTB calendar posted here recently, there would be another auction next week on 19/09/19. So it means you can still invest in primary market next week if you wish to.

Except there didn't have any available in the secondary market today which is very unlikely or you went after 3:00pm, they ought to have shown/told you the tenure and rate available.

What you should do is to either go to another branch of FirstBank tomorrow if there is another branch where you live or when you go back there tomorrow be very bold to ask of the person in charge of TB.

Tomorrow there is no primary market so you will request to know the tenures and rates available in the secondary market straight. Then choose from whatever is presented to you. If they decline just tell them you will call and notify firstcantact about what transpired. I believe that should suffice..

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by seyisanya(m): 8:52pm On Sep 11, 2019
Hello Feelamong and other gurus, is Eurobond same as this?
feelamong:

I actually bought from AXA Mansard..

am also aware that UBA, FBN Quest and Stanbic all offer Eurobond products too

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 9:18pm On Sep 11, 2019
feelamong:

Above is an advice to me by Oga feelamong earlier. You should consider it too.

tijusegele:
Very correct sir I went there around some minute to 4pm and she said I should com around 10-12

More so all I want to know is should I just settle for secondary market tomorrow dose it make sense or should I wait till 19th sept

Depending on tenure you intend to invest in. If its for short tenure no need to wait you can do secondary in order not to waste more days. However if it's for long tenure, there is a possibility rate may go higher on the 19/09/19 so you can consider doing it then.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tijusegele(m): 9:59pm On Sep 11, 2019
I salute u sir. Thanks so much

Depending on tenure you intend to invest in. If its for short tenure no need to wait you can do secondary in order not to waste more days. However if it's for long tenure, there is a possibility rate may go higher on the 19/09/19 so you can consider doing it then. [/quote]
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 11:34pm On Sep 11, 2019
Nigsrdumb:

I don't have any properties yet. A single house in lekki is 70 million cheapest and drive a Toyota avensis.

That's why I don't feel rich.
What did you do to amass that? Also you don’t need a house in lekki, far overpriced

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 11:48pm On Sep 11, 2019
chigo4u:

What did you do to amass that? Also you don’t need a house in lekki, far overpriced
Yahoo

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 6:06am On Sep 12, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
Yahoo
why ?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Midex88(m): 6:13am On Sep 12, 2019
Treasury Biĺls
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 6:15am On Sep 12, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 7:17am On Sep 12, 2019
seyisanya:
Hello Feelamong and other gurus, is Eurobond same as this?

This is Eurobond Fund.......Not purchase of actual Eurobond.

This is more like investing in Money market funds (which invest in Tbills and other short term money market instruments like CPs) and not buying Tbills directly.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 7:30am On Sep 12, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
Yahoo
If I hear
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolajay: 8:30am On Sep 12, 2019
Everyone is positive the rates might increase as the year winds down. So, if you do short term investment, you get the funds back and if the rates increase, you reinvest. If otherwise, you also decide.

Also, based on your fund usage, you can consider the best time for your investment - short or long.

Donbrig:

Pls, I intend to invest about 14m for next week's tbills, is it better to go for short or long term? Because some are saying rate might increase in few weeks/months to come.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kryptem: 8:53am On Sep 12, 2019
When one subscribes at the PRIMARY MARKET, when will the interest be paid? I subscribed at the PRIMARY MARKET on Tuesday. The full amount was deducted yesterday (Wednesday) and I am yet to have the interest paid into my account. This was with FBN.
NOTE: I filled UPFRONT payment of interest.

I am just curious. Had thought that they would leave the interest while deducting the balance at the prevailing rate for the particular tenor.
I am waiting for how it pans out today, else, I visit the bank tomorrow.
But, for the experienced, is this how it works?
Thanks!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 8:55am On Sep 12, 2019
kryptem:
When one subscribes at the PRIMARY MARKET, when will the interest be paid? I subscribed at the PRIMARY MARKET yesterday. The full amount was deducted and I am yet to have the interest paid into my account. This was with FBN.

I am just curious. Had thought that they would leave the interest while deducting the balance at the prevailing rate for the particular tenor.
Thanks!
it first bank ? Werey bank they might reinvested the interest too
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 8:59am On Sep 12, 2019
Yahoo got me lol.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by oluayebenz: 10:29am On Sep 12, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
Yahoo

Pure Nigerian mentality........

Any rich young guy is into Yahoo! There are many young folks making millions in their businesses.

We need to change our ways in this country!

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 10:36am On Sep 12, 2019
oluayebenz:

Pure Nigerian mentality........

Any rich young guy is into Yahoo! There are many young folks making millions in their businesses.

We need to change our ways in this country!
Pure Nigerian way of assimilating writeup...

Where did you see "RICH", "YOUNG" and "GUY" in my comment? angry

I wonder how people just give their own meaning to your comment and start attacking you based on the their own meaning they gave to your comment.

I am young and have made more than that in my businesses. So, my comment can't possibly mean "Any rich young Nigerian is into yahoo".

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by oluayebenz: 11:21am On Sep 12, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
Pure Nigerian way of assimilating writeup.

Where did you see "RICH", "YOUNG" and "GUY" in my comment? angry

I wonder how people just give their own meaning to your comment and start attacking you based on the their own meaning they gave to your comment.

I am young and have made more than that in my businesses. So, my comment can't possibly mean "Any rich young Nigerian is into yahoo".

So tell us why you said his into Yahoo

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by stevemarkdangot(m): 11:43am On Sep 12, 2019
kryptem:
When one subscribes at the PRIMARY MARKET, when will the interest be paid? I subscribed at the PRIMARY MARKET on Tuesday. The full amount was deducted yesterday (Wednesday) and I am yet to have the interest paid into my account. This was with FBN.

Thanks!
Same here with Zenith bank. The money was deducted from my balance with no mail or message. I will check with them tomorrow too if I didn't hear from them today.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Stephenchisky(m): 11:43am On Sep 12, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 11:58am On Sep 12, 2019
Please can I use one accoun to buy 10 year FGN BOND 2029 ........LIKE 50K to buy FGN 2029 bond in September 2019 and same account to buy 100k same 2029 FGN bond in January 2020....knowing that the coupon will come every October and April till 2029. ....how will the different coupons of the 50k and 100k be entering the same account. ...I hope there will be no confusion from CBN when paying different coupons of same bond with different amount to the same one account i used for subscription....

Cc:

feelamong

emmanuelwumi

Other gurus

please help your boy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 12:25pm On Sep 12, 2019
ukay2:
Please can I use one accoun to buy 10 year FGN BOND 2029 ........LIKE 50K to buy FGN 2029 bond in September 2019 and same account to buy 100k same 2029 FGN bond in January 2020....knowing that the coupon will come every October and April till 2029. ....how will the different coupons of the 50k and 100k be entering the same account. ...I hope there will be no confusion from CBN when paying different coupons of same bond with different amount to the same one account i used for subscription....

Cc:

feelamong

emmanuelwumi

Other gurus

please help your boy

yes you can, the will all appear on your cscs account and you will get your coupons as ususal.
Have no fear.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 12:40pm On Sep 12, 2019
ernie4life:

yes you can, the will all appear on your cscs account and you will get your coupons as ususal.
Have no fear.

Am not using my broker Sir,.

Am using bank to subscribe to it....that is why aml asking.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 12:50pm On Sep 12, 2019
ukay2:

Am not using my broker Sir,.

Am using bank to subscribe to it....that is why aml asking.

All bonds are warehoused on CSCS regardless of who the receiving agent(bank or broker) is
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 1:03pm On Sep 12, 2019
ernie4life:

All bonds are warehoused on CSCS regardless of who the receiving agent(bank or broker) is

Thank you Sir....

So I will fill my cscs account numb in the form for April 2029 fgn bond
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 1:12pm On Sep 12, 2019
Alert for matured TB just drop from Stanbic. cool

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by osigiepurr(m): 1:30pm On Sep 12, 2019
Just invested in Tbills few minutes ago @Stanbic IBTC.......105days @ 11.9%

(1) (2) (3) ... (865) (866) (867) (868) (869) (870) (871) ... (2233) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.