Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,880 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (878) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4439221 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (875) (876) (877) (878) (879) (880) (881) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bengurion1: 4:46pm On Sep 23, 2019
Good day house,

I have a question please.

I submitted forms for primary auction of September 18, 2019 for 364 days at a First Bank branch. I received investment advice to day and the rate on it was 12.95% and not 13.3% which was CBN stop rate for 364 days.
I've called and the explanation am getting doesnt sound right. They have said that the bank decided to offer its customers 12.95%.

Can the bank decide the rate to offer its customers for a primary bid?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 23, 2019
Yes
Bengurion1:

Good day house,

I submitted forms for primary auction of September 18, 2019 for 364 days at a First Bank branch. I received investment advice to day and the rate on it was 12.95% and not 13.3% which was CBN stop rate for 364 days.
I've called and the explanation am getting doesnt sound right. They have said that the bank decided to offer its customers 12.95%.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 5:19pm On Sep 23, 2019
Bengurion1:

Good day house,

Yes. If you have N50m, you can specify your own rate before the primary auction. If you do not have N50m, you have to go with whatever rate the bank bid during the primary auction. See it as the bank selling to you from their pool in a secondary market scenario. In addition, that CBN rate is called Stop Rate. Some banks bid higher than that and fail. So most banks normally bid low in order to have a higher chance of succeeding. The CBN Stop rate is not known prior to the auction.

12 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by michealekene(m): 8:07pm On Sep 23, 2019
I intend to do 1M for 364days for at least 13%., but due to some unexpected expenditures, I will have only 900k to invest. 
Should I write 1M in the Tbill primary market form(even though I have 900k in the account) 
Knowing fully well that the 900k covers the discount value? 
I know this is not applicable to Firstbank. I am asking as regards stanbic ibtc since Stanbic usually debit discount value in Tbill. 
NB
Face value = 1M
Discount value = 870k
Assuming rate = 13%
Tenor =364 days 
Thanks

Please can someone confirm if this is still possible with stanbic ibtc
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 8:13pm On Sep 23, 2019
michealekene:
 I intend to do 1M for 364days for at least 13%., but due to some unexpected expenditures, I will have only 900k to invest. 
Should I write 1M in the Tbill primary market form(even though I have 900k in the account) 
I know this is not applicable to Firstbank. I am asking as regards stanbic ibtc since Stanbic usually debit discount value in Tbill. 
NB
Face value = 1M
Discount value = 870k
Assuming rate = 13%
Tenor =364 days 
Thanks

No more possible with stanbic bank.

The reason is - they will deduct the full capital on Thursday morning, following the Wednesday auction.

Then they will credit you with the interest later that Thursday. So, if your capital is not complete, I wonder how they are going to do it.

I think GTbank might allow you do it.

Let the elders who use GTbank come in and answer.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Damolux01(m): 8:24pm On Sep 23, 2019
michealekene:
NB
Face value = 1M
Discount value = 870k
Assuming rate = 13%
Tenor =364 days 
Thanks

If you can lend it from someone close to you, do...knowing fully well that you'll def pay up on Thursday. I do this alot to have a round figure investment.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by michealekene(m): 8:24pm On Sep 23, 2019
[quote author=Grupo post=82501694]

No more possible with stanbic bank.

The reason is - they will deduct the full capital on Thursday morning, following the Wednesday auction.

Then they will credit you with the interest later that Thursday. So, if your capital is not complete, I wonder how they are going to do it.

I think GTbank might allow you do it.

Thanks What about for secondary market stanbic still??
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by michealekene(m): 8:24pm On Sep 23, 2019
[quote author=michealekene post=82502037][/quote]

What about secondary market?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by michealekene(m): 8:25pm On Sep 23, 2019
Damolux01:
If you can lend it from someone close to you, do...knowing fully well that you'll def pay up on Thursday. I do this alot to have a round figure investment.

Possible for secondary market?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 8:28pm On Sep 23, 2019
[quote author=michealekene post=82502037][/quote]

I don't know about secondary market as I've not done secondary market with stanbic before.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 8:33pm On Sep 23, 2019
michealekene:
NB
Face value = 1M
Discount value = 870k
Assuming rate = 13%
Tenor =364 days 
Thanks

go there and try it.
If it fails then do secondary and reinvest interest.

GOOD luck.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IamR: 8:38pm On Sep 23, 2019
Damolux01:
I used to do that too.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 8:49pm On Sep 23, 2019
michealekene:
NB
Face value = 1M
Discount value = 870k
Assuming rate = 13%
Tenor =364 days 
Thanks

I doubt this. Becos 1M is suppose to be deducted and the interest paid to you. What do I know, maybe somebody has done it b4. What I know is that you may ask dem to invest even the profit. Giving you about #1,034,444 -I did this at the beginning of the year.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Innoxxacs: 8:57pm On Sep 23, 2019
michealekene:
NB
Face value = 1M
Discount value = 870k
Assuming rate = 13%
Tenor =364 days 
Thanks

1M should give 130k
But you need 1M in...
I'd say run 800k, take 104k (up front interest)

Add 100k(4k remaining)to the remaining 100k run 200k on the next date take 26k(up front interest) add to the remaining 4k you have 30k cash and 1M in the bank
My 2cents

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:38pm On Sep 23, 2019
Innoxxacs:
1M should give 130k
But you need 1M in...

Add 100k(4k remaining)to the remaining 100k run 200k on the next date take 26k(up front interest) add to the remaining 4k you have 30k cash and 1M in the bank
My 2cents

u go school
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nnamz(m): 11:33pm On Sep 23, 2019
Innoxxacs:
1M should give 130k
But you need 1M in...

My 2cents
A Harvard graduate in our midst . . .

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mymadam(m): 11:47pm On Sep 23, 2019
Damolux01:
Sharp guy!

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 6:24am On Sep 24, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nofij(m): 6:40am On Sep 24, 2019
Good morning house

I used to follow this thread for a while until the stresses of life distracted me somehow... lol

I do not know if this topic has been addressed here but I’d like to ask... what are the thoughts about Stanbic’s money market? Is it better than Tbills? What are the standout differences?

I will really appreciate any helpful responses before I make my next move. Thank you so much great house!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by michealekene(m): 7:14am On Sep 24, 2019
Damolux01:

Thanks...I already subscribed to tbills with stanbic ibtc, secondary market around August I think, where they deducted the discounted value alone living behind the interest.

I'm hoping that before month end I initiate another 1M but it's not complete, of which from the high rates now and all...when dey deduct the discounted value, it can cover including the charges.

I know someone answered the question a while ago, but I needed to know the possibility for secondary market
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by michealekene(m): 7:18am On Sep 24, 2019
Innoxxacs:
1M should give 130k
But you need 1M in...

My 2cents

Lool...thanks. but this one na stress. I prefer rounding up in million. Plus...I also found out stanbic doesn't reinvest interest for both pry and sec. It would have been a better option like I do with FBN

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Boyhood: 8:52am On Sep 24, 2019
nofij:
Good morning house

I used to follow this thread for a while until the stresses of life distracted me somehow... lol

I do not know if this topic has been addressed here but I’d like to ask... what are the thoughts about Stanbic’s money market? Is it better than Tbills? What are the standout differences?

I will really appreciate any helpful responses before I make my next move. Thank you so much great house!
Your question has an answer here
https://www.nairaland.com/1912965/mutual-funds/187

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nofij(m): 9:34am On Sep 24, 2019
Boyhood:

Your question has an answer here
https://www.nairaland.com/1912965/mutual-funds/187

Thank you boss... I didn’t see answers to my questions there though. smiley
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 2:10pm On Sep 24, 2019
Poor rate today from FirstBank..

11% 177days.

#secondary market

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ibechris(m): 2:21pm On Sep 24, 2019
Union bank rate today for 93days is 11%.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 2:23pm On Sep 24, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
a new area will be developed,properties are over price in Nigeria and exploitative in poor infastructure...i rather buy a million dollars house in Vienna than 350m in banana island
Exactly, those places are almost at thier peak.

Eko Atlantic City is on the way to take the wealth from banana island, there are fast growing areas within Lagos than can generate a tangible return after holding for some years.

If that owner decides to sell that land 5yrs later, I am very sure he can't sell it at more than 600m, whereas if that money is split into mid sums like 20,25m for a plot scattered around fast growing areas in Lagos, in 5yrs, it could hit 40m or more.

that place already gives a Poor ROI, a 600m house can't give a rent of more than 20-25m per annum this is below 5% ROI....

Nice one bruh

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ini4brandon(m): 3:05pm On Sep 24, 2019
Pls I need advise urgently. I applied for tbills in primary market. On the day of auction, an emergency arose and I applied to withdraw after the money was deducted in lien by my bank.
Can I get the money back immediately?or how long do I wait?
Pls. Help I'm stuck right now.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chyima(f): 4:13pm On Sep 24, 2019
Good day house, I am trying to diversify my investment using investment house now.
Pls who has an idea of a reputable investment house with good ratings and rates .
I am open to more options of investment.
Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Damolux01(m): 6:30pm On Sep 24, 2019
michealekene:

Possible for secondary market?
yes pls.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Damolux01(m): 6:33pm On Sep 24, 2019
mymadam:
Sharp guy!
That's the surest way to go!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 10:30pm On Sep 24, 2019
Innoxxacs:
1M should give 130k
But you need 1M in...

My 2cents
Did you consider the charges and the number of days lost from the original calculation and perhaps the possibility that interest may drop. I embarked on this just last month and within a week interest went from 13% to 11.7%. Stanbic can be crazy with interest sometimes. I would say demand and supply sha.

(1) (2) (3) ... (875) (876) (877) (878) (879) (880) (881) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.