Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,179 members, 7,829,233 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (980) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4458087 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (977) (978) (979) (980) (981) (982) (983) ... (2233) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:26pm On Dec 01, 2019
250,000 housing units at an average cost of N2.5 million per unit will cost about N6 Trillion every year.

We have people who have been paying rent for the past 20 years, without any hope of having their own house.

Some people might argue that it is not possible to build a housing unit for N2.5 million. But it is possible.

Cements in Nigeria are sold for about N2500, while the same products are sold for about N1000 by the same Nigerian makers in other West African countries like Ghana

12 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 2:36pm On Dec 01, 2019
emmanuelewumi:
250,000 housing units at an average cost of N2.5 million per unit will cost about N6 Trillion every year.

We have people who have been paying rent for the past 20 years, without any hope of having their own house.

Some people might argue that it is not possible to build a housing unit for N2.5 million. But it is possible.

Cements in Nigeria are sold for about N2500, while the same products are sold for about N1000 by the same Nigerian makers in other West African countries like Ghana

WOW!
SERIOUSLY?
how?
including transportation fare!

see wickedness

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Thisnut(m): 2:41pm On Dec 01, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

the reason is because of the cost of production in Nigeria is too high. Things are shipped into Nigeria, after all the import and export tax, cost of clearing and shipping fee, that same product is still cheaper than made in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by damilola1978: 2:45pm On Dec 01, 2019
DigitalMallam:
PFAs invest N6.8tn pension assets in govt securities.

The economy cannot grow this way. PFA with staggering N9.8tn in their portfolio should sponsor a bill to enable them build infrastructures on their own like; modern speed of light rail, road networks, sea/airports and run it professionally. Helping this lazy govt source for fund which a sizeable chunk will be mismanage is like a spoilt child with zero intellect inheriting a fortune. In no distance time what will become of the inheritance.
who absolves the risk?...I am sure you dont want stories that touch when it is time to access your pension

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mizwisdom(f): 2:50pm On Dec 01, 2019
healthserve:

We should blame it on the lack of good will in the stock exchange system... Of which its over 13years, it still lacks depth, direction and is not insulated from big forces that have the capacity to manipulate it.

Till the stock exchange is revamped and properly structured to prevent mainupaltive forces, funds flow in the country will continue to find expression through tbills investment, unless rates on savings are on par as tbills with additional incentives.

Even down to 5% per annum, its way better than savings or stocks where even after ten years capital can never be regained let alone gains yet we see listed and issuing institutions declaring annual profits. Spits. tongue angry What a fantastically corrupt financial system/country

Don't worry it will soon reduce to 2% with the way it's going people will soon have no choice but to discard TBs investing for a while.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:52pm On Dec 01, 2019
RealityShot:
WOW!
SERIOUSLY?
how?
including transportation fare!

see wickedness

The average price is about N800 in North African countries.

It appears the makers of the products in Nigeria have agreed on how much they will sell the product.

Dangote cement controls over 60% of the market, but Lafarge, BUA, CCNN and others are not ready to start a price war.

I thought other players will use the price war to displace the market leader.

If you are based in Lagos or Western part of Nigeria.
There is a soft drink called BIgi, which has succeeded in eating big into the market share of both Coca cola and Seven up. The company used price war.

When the 50cl pep bottles of Coca-Cola and Seven up products were increased to N120 per bottle. Bigi came out with 60cl at N100.

Since then both Coca-Cola and Seven up have been struggling to recapture their market share.

Dangote cement also claimed the leadership of the cement market from Lafarge, through price war and serious marketing.

12 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:53pm On Dec 01, 2019
Thisnut:
the reason is because of the cost of production in Nigeria is too high. Things are shipped into Nigeria, after all the import and export tax, cost of clearing and shipping fee, that same product is still cheaper than made in Nigeria.

I am talking about Dangote cement made in Nigeria, that are exported to Ghana.

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:55pm On Dec 01, 2019
damilola1978:
who absolves the risk?...I am sure you dont want stories that touch when it is time to access your pension

PENCOM has a ring fence round the pension fund.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IamR: 3:48pm On Dec 01, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

I am talking about Dangote cement made in Nigeria, that are exported to Ghana.
See wickedness! Some Nigerian businessmen are just evil.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 4:36pm On Dec 01, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

It appears the makers of the products in Nigeria have agreed on how much they will sell the product.

Dangote cement controls over 60% of the market, but Lafarge, BUA, CCNN and others are not ready to start a price war.

There is a soft drink called BIgi, which has succeeded in eating big into the market share of both Coca cola and Seven up. The company used price war.

When the 50cl pep bottles of Coca-Cola and Seven up products were increased to N120 per bottle. Bigi came out with 60cl at N100.

Since then both Coca-Cola and Seven up have been struggling to recapture their market share.

Dangote cement also claimed the leadership of the cement market from Lafarge, through price war and serious marketing.

wow!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Just2endowed2(m): 5:21pm On Dec 01, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

FSDH is highly reliable, it used to be one of the four discount houses in Nigeria because it metamorphosed to a Merchant Bank. They have a stockbroking subsidiary, asset management subsidiary and also have Pension fund management subsidiary.

It was 12.4% about 2 weeks ago. I have money market fund account with them and FBN Quest

Yes, I have been trying to sub with there app but it's not working. Maybe I have to do paper work myself.. There return is increasing
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by healthserve(m): 5:49pm On Dec 01, 2019
Mizwisdom:

Don't worry it will soon reduce to 2% with the way it's going people will soon have no choice but to discard TBs investing for a while.

My sister. I recall this moniker we've interacted a few before now. But I don forget o. Anyways how family, and all?

About tbills reducing I don't have hand in such issues o. Before I'm targeted as an hater/spoiler... grin

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by damilola1978: 7:11pm On Dec 01, 2019
Mizwisdom:

without a highly diversified and stable economy, you would only see that rates because there would be a higher parallel market available for only the elites (like what is happening presently)...hence the rich gets richer, the poor gets .... undecided

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 7:19pm On Dec 01, 2019
Donbrig:
We speculate a lot in Nigeria. My people calm down, no cause for alarm at all. Naira won't be devalued again. CBN is facing their own challenges like every other monetary bodies in other countries. In 2020, FG must put an end to oil subsidy, and CBN must stop forex, Nigerians must help to boost our economy and naira by patronizing local products. Dollar has more challenges than naira on the global stage. Russia and China have completed plans to do without dollars in all transactions and EU have already concluded plans to challenge the unfair advantage dollar is having across the globe by initiating other form of payments without the dollar. In reality, dollar is bleeding more than naira, mainly Nigerians are still overrating the dollar.
I don’t think this is true. If you follow trump on twitter, you’ll see he is always asking the federal reserve to reduce exchange rate of the dollar to help them gain trading advantage or something of that nature. Remember America economy is doing very well and the trump policies is rather affecting China and Europe badly

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by damilola1978: 7:21pm On Dec 01, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

Absolutely right...I was opportune to interact with some people from Zambia. The country has its state owned cement factories with different players, there was a bit of cooperation hence they had a standard pricing. When dangote cement came into the country...guess what...they started a price war...cement that used to sell for 50kwacha a bag, was now being sold by dangote at 35kwacha a bag.

This distabilized the cement industry in Zambia...every nook and cranny you end up seeing only dangote cement.

Without a price war...consumers just have to pay the price.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 7:24pm On Dec 01, 2019
healthserve:

If the leader of CBN is chosen from amongst bank top echelon, whose interest will he stand for/posture towards when decision is to be taken?...Plus, the regular economical meetings at top financial level, reflects more of the top guns who look first for business interest than national interest... This absolves Emefiele for being singled-out as anything. Its what our society wants..

We don't have an independent CBN chief. Many factors will pull anyone who sits on that chair

1. Presidency

2. Cabals within the govt

3. Bank Top Execs

4. Erratic economy. Almost zero productivity.
Lamido Sanusi was an exception. All the bogus banking fees Sanusi cancelled as governor the fraud called Emefiele has restored almost all and more!

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:45pm On Dec 01, 2019
damilola1978:
Absolutely right...I was opportune to interact with some people from Zambia. The country has its state owned cement factories with different players, there was a bit of cooperation hence they had a standard pricing. When dangote cement came into the country...guess what...they started a price war...cement that used to sell for 50kwacha a bag, was now being sold by dangote at 35kwacha a bag.

This distabilized the cement industry in Zambia...every nook and cranny you end up seeing only dangote cement.

Without a price war...consumers just have to pay the price.

Ghanaians actually prefer Dangote cement, it got to a level when other local cement producers wanted Dangote to be sanctioned.

I guess the around N1000 the products are sold in Ghana is a price war aimed at disrupting the cement market in that country
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by eddyakinrinde(m): 8:48pm On Dec 01, 2019
Happy December everyone, the year has been a good one for me investmentwise I must say and also a tough one in some ways. From 6.3m as at beginning of the year, I have bn able to grow my tbill investment to total 11m and additional 1m maturing in January to total 12m. It was indeed a tough rough path leading to this as I have had to deny myself various luxuries this year and several things I closed my eyes to not buy. But it worth it all. The increment was made possible by putting additional fund each month and reinvestment. But I made sure everything mature by Dec.
So my fear now is going by the current downtrend in tbills rates I totally confused on what my next year investment plan would be. I have a food commodity business am into, the total money in the business is just around 3m. Definitely I will have to put more fund in the business from all this but cannot put all so I won't mismanage the money. Am just confused on how best to invest the rest in the new year.

17 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 9:14pm On Dec 01, 2019
unite4real:

This scenario played out in 2007/2008 when there was too much money in the hands of citizens not knowing what to do. All of a sudden the entire airwaves every now and then was adverts of Initial Public Offerings of different commodities. While the foolish (including me) were front loading their money into and open ended pipe in the name of buying into an IPO and admiring the certificates, the financial crooks were at the back end of the pipe off loading the money in the name of trading (by hyping and manipulating share prices). Recession was the result. Sometimes i wished all my capital then were even in just a savings account without interest. The loss was too much. AFter then, i discovered Government Securities.

One thing to note is this. Money is like energy. For everyone that lost money, some other person gained it. The sad part is, 100 people can loose money to 1 person. The reverse is never the case. With the latest trend, there is likely going to be another experience of too much money and myriads of scammers. Even when a legit investment come your way, there is likelihood of funds over saturation which makes an investment company become obsessed. Only those with track records will be able to hold investors funds in keeping with promises.

I have series of BONDs and TBs maturing From February 2020 and Bonds coupons going on with the next one in December.

None of those moneys will be used for any other investment other than what i am used to. I will rather keep them trekking (short TBs or MMF) and wait for the prime time or nothing.

Nice analysis, sir

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CHoccolaTE: 11:04pm On Dec 01, 2019
olusogo1:
It seems GTbank is not even ready to participate in NTB again, 2 primary market auction without success and account officer daily saying no secondary market, may have to port to another bank.
First bank as well, this is the 2nd time they are returning my money
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by rexericx(m): 11:15pm On Dec 01, 2019
CHoccolaTE:

First bank as well, this is the 2nd time they are returning my money

U can get secondary mk now..

180days was 7℅ at GTBank on Friday

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 4:35am On Dec 02, 2019
Nigeria does not see its foreign exchange reserve level falling to $30 billion and so is not contemplating a currency devaluation anytime soon, a senior Central Bank (CBN) official told BusinessDay last night.

It had been reported last week that CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele had told investors in London the apex bank would consider a review of its exchange rate management mechanism if the reserves were to fall below $30bn.
However, the senior CBN official said “the bank does not see reserves falling to that level given the stability in oil prices”.

“In any case, the talk about setting the reserve level as a trigger for an adjustment of the Central Bank position on the exchange rate must also be linked to oil prices. The Central Bank closely watches this as well as the reserve level,” the official said.

According to the high level CBN official, “Our view is that both have to be taken together. For as long as oil prices remain in the $50-60 per barrel range, we do not think there should be any panic and even then we do not think reserve levels will fall to below $30bn. Remember that the last devaluation took place at a reserve level of $23bn.”
He said the current government “came in at a time the reserve was $31bn and we did not devalue, so there is no question of a devaluation simply as a result of the reserve level falling to $30bn”.

Also speaking on Friday evening at the bankers’ dinner in Lagos, Emefiele highlighted Nigeria’s healthy reserve level as well as improved foreign exchange inflows into the country. He attributed this to “the impact of a tighter monetary policy regime, attractive yields in the money market, and our efforts at supporting domestic productivity in the agriculture and manufacturing sectors, along with improvements in oil production”.

“In the I&E window, over $60 billion worth of transactions have taken place since the inception of the window in April 2017, and our foreign exchange reserves are above $40bn as at October 2019, relative to its low point of $23bn in October 2016,” Emefiele said.

“We have been able to build our reserves in the midst of lower oil prices, as strong reserves aid the confidence of domestic and external investors. Today, our current stock of external reserves is able to finance nine months of current import commitments,” he said.

On exchange rate, Emefiele said “with a moderated inflation rate, positive GDP growth and improvements in our external reserve position, the naira-dollar exchange rate at the I&E window has remained stable for the past 29 months at N360-$1 and we have witnessed significant convergence in the exchange rate across the various market windows”.

BusinessDay analysis shows that the futures market has remained at the spot level for a long spell and traders said savvy investors have been using the market to hedge, a clear indication of a much-improved forex situation and of the absence of panic.

FX reserve unlikely to fall to $30bn, no devaluation on the horizon – CBN
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PETERiCHY(m): 6:39am On Dec 02, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

A bag of Cement here in Dubai is 9AED.
1AED is equivalent to #97naira.
If you convert that amount to Naira that will give you #873 per bag.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DigitalMallam: 7:01am On Dec 02, 2019
lancee:

He said the current government “came in at a time the reserve was $31bn and we did not devalue, so there is no question of a devaluation simply as a result of the reserve level falling to $30bn”.

FX reserve unlikely to fall to $30bn, no devaluation on the horizon – CBN

I hate to discuss politics but this govt is taking us to be fools, no govt in the history of 9ja has ever enjoyed the good will bestowed unto the PMB govt. We love him without using our brain, we gave 100% support for petroleum product price increase, same offense we crucified GEJ. PMB and his team is good at just one thing 'telling stories and make beliefs'
There's no iota of truth in the above gibberish from the CBN, initially they told us the reserve was empty when they assume power, now its $31bn, and with all the unprecedented borrowing they have managed to save $9bn. As at 2015 our external borrowing stood at $12bn, now external borrowing is now a whopping $27bn, while internal is $56bn. The sad part is that they are asking for a fresh $30bn loan. Did I just read they never devalue the naira, perhaps they forgot the naira was N197 to a $ when PMB came to power.
The two premise upon which Emefiele believed will determine the fate of the naira are not within his control, oil price which is by implications determine external reserve - he can't do nothing about the two, that shows the kind of economics our CBN gov is practising. It is crystal clear that oga is out there to impoverish the masses while allowing a few cabals to increase their wealth. Or how do you explain tb going for 6% while omo (exclusive to the few) is doing 13%.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Just2endowed2(m): 8:03am On Dec 02, 2019
DigitalMallam:

I hate to discuss politics but this govt is taking us to be fools, no govt in the history of 9ja has ever enjoyed the good will bestowed unto the PMB govt. We love him without using our brain, we gave 100% support for petroleum product price increase, same offense we crucified GEJ. PMB and his team is good at just one thing 'telling stories and make beliefs'
There's no iota of truth in the above gibberish from the CBN, initially they told us the reserve was empty when they assume power, now its $31bn, and with all the unprecedented borrowing they have managed to save $9bn. As at 2015 our external borrowing stood at $12bn, now external borrowing is now a whopping $27bn, while internal is $56bn. The sad part is that they are asking for a fresh $30bn loan. Did I just read they never devalue the naira, perhaps they forgot the naira was N197 to a $ when PMB came to power.
The two premise upon which Emefiele believed will determine the fate of the naira are not within his control, oil price which is by implications determine external reserve - he can't do nothing about the two, that shows the kind of economics our CBN gov is practising. It is crystal clear that oga is out there to impoverish the masses while allowing a few cabals to increase their wealth. Or how do you explain tb going for 6% while omo (exclusive to the few) is doing 13%.
The guy na crook

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mizwisdom(f): 9:45am On Dec 02, 2019
healthserve:

My sister. I recall this moniker we've interacted a few before now. But I don forget o. Anyways how family, and all?

About tbills reducing I don't have hand in such issues o. Before I'm targeted as an hater/spoiler... grin

Yes, we have. You helped me when I was seeking advice on farming. I'm grateful.

Last year I made 15% now 8% on the same amount of TBs grin it will definitely become worse soon no doubt. Such an astronomical fall in 12 months is sad and we have the same govt and policies to contend with for the next 3 years so you can imagine grin this government only wants to stop the channels where the middle/lower class were benefiting, it's wise for us to start seeking hidden ways to reap from them again because as they have noticed TBs it can never be the same again until they are thrown out. So for people insisting on TBs till they die, it's unfortunate.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by healthserve(m): 10:44am On Dec 02, 2019
Mizwisdom:

Yes, we have. You helped me when I was seeking advice on farming. I'm grateful.

Last year I made 15% now 8% on the same amount of TBs grin it will definitely become worse soon no doubt. Such an astronomical fall in 12 months is sad and we have the same govt and policies to contend with for the next 3 years so you can imagine grin this government only wants to stop the channels where the middle/lower class were benefiting, it's wise for us to start seeking hidden ways to reap from them again because as they have noticed TBs it can never be the same again until they are thrown out. So for people insisting on TBs till they die, it's unfortunate.

I knew it. I remember now. Pardon my forgetfulness. Thanks accepted.

Give it time. The rates won't be low forever. Personally, I don't think the government has issues with low/middle class persons. The government has its reasons and whatever the motives maybe, the market is dynamic and revolves in the kinetic pattern of ups and downs, round and about, so after the market rate goes low, it has no where else's to go than up, as we say in the financial industry. It may take a while, but you can expect changes. Meanwhile, you can use tbills as your savings account as you look forward to improved rates

Happy New Week

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by richforever123: 11:53am On Dec 02, 2019
You guys should just forget about the rates increase, as long as Government is focusing on Taxation, it is getting money from other sources and does not need our treasury bills, this thread should be closed

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by donshady(m): 12:30pm On Dec 02, 2019
richforever123:
You guys should just forget about the rates increase, as long as Government is focusing on Taxation, it is getting money from other sources and does not need our treasury bills, this thread should be closed

Why you sound pained lol���

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 1:01pm On Dec 02, 2019
richforever123:
But it wants to borrow $30b, also OMO rates are still at 13%? Lol

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sempe123: 1:05pm On Dec 02, 2019
Now that treasury bill rate is very.Is it advisable for one to go into fixed deposit?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 1:52pm On Dec 02, 2019
sempe123:
Now that treasury bill rate is very.Is it advisable for one to go into fixed deposit?

Even at this rate Tbills is still better than FD. Instead of fixed deposit consider money market funds. For me fixed deposit is a NO NO! Well that is my personal opinion.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (977) (978) (979) (980) (981) (982) (983) ... (2233) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: niyoni and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.