Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

Show Off Your Best Work. - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Show Off Your Best Work. (16707 Views)

What Are Your Best Successful Blogging Tips? / What Is Your Best Site Analysis Tool? / Best Work At Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 05, 2012
@Op, dont use the works of Akara webmasters u meet on nairaland to generalize, ok?
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by Godmann(m): 2:54pm On Mar 05, 2012
So after all the noise making, I could not see any good functional site posted here.

Nigeria stinks. We are all noise makers
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by zebudaya(m): 3:04pm On Mar 05, 2012
deco2come:

@poster

Saying that Nigeria Webmasters Suck is an insult. There is a big difference between Website programmer and Website designer(i.e the person that handles the graphic interface).

For instance, due to the situation of things, I admit that I am not good when it comes to graphic interface of a website but as long as the mechanism that controls the site is concern, I know that I can handle it and get things working perfectly.

Besides, judging Nigerian to other countries like US, UK,Canada, is unfair when you know fully well that the situation at home for example electricity issue, internet speed, lack of equipment, etc don't help web designers to function well. Imagine writing a code and when you are about to get things done, all of a sudden, there is a power failure or your internet is not connecting again.

Have you ever written code with candle and lamper  with car battery powering your system before? That is what we go through just to put  out "Hello World" for you to click. Go to most Nigeria universities, check out the number of students that are studying Computer Science and Engineering, and tell me how many among them have personal computer or how many the school provided for them. Now compare that to the countries you are judging us with. Instead of insulting them, you should encourage them. Who knows where the next Mark will come from.

Finally, do you mind telling us the area you specialize(e.g doctor, lawyer, engneer, etc) so that we will know if you suck in that field?

You folks love to celebrate and defend mediocrity. Shilling is right. Most African sites are ugly. A good programmer should have an eye for design. End of story. There are free wordpress themes one can modify or learn from. One can also use Joomla or Drupal. At least make sure the colors coordinate. Look at this South African website. It's world class. http://www.woothemes.com/

Your story about programming and almost completing the code and there is power outage is moot. What does that have to do with anything?

@Shilling Jobberman is well designed. just add a www and a .com to it. For some reason the forum won't let me post the link here. I guess it's a competitor to "you know who's" site.  grin
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by quadrillio(m): 3:21pm On Mar 05, 2012
Godman_n:

So after all the noise making, I could not see any good functional site posted here.

Nigeria stinks. We are all noise makers

u're right ooo, hummmmmm.

but wait, I'm a web developer nah. BRB *I need to check my CV to remember my best JOB* (I left my CV at home)

- SAFE
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by Godmann(m): 3:24pm On Mar 05, 2012
Yea jobberman is a good site.
zebudaya:

A good programmer should have an eye for design. End of story. There are free wordpress themes one can modify or learn from. One can also use Joomla or Drupal. At least make sure the colors coordinate. Look at this South African website. It's world class. http://www.woothemes.com/

I disagree. I have never been and will never be a designer. I trained as a programmer and can program reasonable at both the server and client sides. But design: never. I don't like it and believes I am not cut out for it.

Also my first web(PHP) job in UK in a small company, no one ever gave me a design job. There was a designer and I believe that is the way it is. Most good programmers are hardly good designers. I enjoy programming, I hate designing.

Period.
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by Okontami: 3:24pm On Mar 05, 2012
Oga Poster, Why are you are so dumb. Please state the things you are expecting to see on d Sites that you are not seeing.
What are the KPIs you are basing your judgement on? or you are just opening your mouth wide because you want to release some bad odour? Always be constructive in your criticism and judgement hence forth . OLODO
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by Demdem(m): 3:25pm On Mar 05, 2012
Seun should ban the poster for insulting him grin grin grin
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by yawatide(f): 3:28pm On Mar 05, 2012
You folks love to celebrate and defend mediocrity. Shilling is right. Most African sites are ugly.
1) Shilling *may* be right based on personal experience and not facts.  If it is factual, may we see the evidence please
2) Most African sites are ugly?  Is this like Shilling's case of emotional arguments or factual argument?  If the latter, again, evidence please.

No one is celebrating or defending mediocrity here.  At least I am not.  We need to move past talking points that aren't based on facts.  Just because you haven't had the opportunity to see a good site doesn't mean they exist.  Also, when you say most, that assumes you have seen at least 51% of the Nigerian websites out there. . .and I doubt this is the case.  Again, if you have done your research well, present it to the forum and I will be the first one to take back all I have said here on this thread.
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by Thatdave(m): 3:42pm On Mar 05, 2012
check
www.dwitch.com
everything was from scratch.
Please say what you feel.
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by gempo(m): 3:46pm On Mar 05, 2012
@shilling you can check out this site www.omavo.com. It is based in Nigeria and developed by a Nigerian and is meant for the world.
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by zebudaya(m): 3:49pm On Mar 05, 2012
yawa-ti-de:

1) Shilling *may* be right based on personal experience and not facts.  If it is factual, may we see the evidence please
2) Most African sites are ugly?  Is this like Shilling's case of emotional arguments or factual argument?  If the latter, again, evidence please.

No one is celebrating or defending mediocrity here.  At least I am not.  We need to move past talking points that aren't based on facts.  J[b]ust because you haven't had the opportunity to see a good site doesn't mean they exist[/b].  Also, when you say most, that assumes you have seen at least 51% of the Nigerian websites out there. . .and I doubt this is the case.  Again, if you have done your research well, present it to the forum and I will be the first one to take back all I have said here on this thread.

I listed jobberman. I thought it is well designed. Stop arguing, stop shooting the messenger. Back up you criticism with facts. Please post the well designed Nigerian sites.

I de siddon look.
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by soloqy: 4:09pm On Mar 05, 2012
Dual Core:

Whois: unotechmedia.com
Registrar of Record: In2net Network Inc.
Record last updated on 16-Jul-2011.
Record expires on 28-Feb-2012.
Record created on 28-Feb-2008.

Why would a company of that 'status' , that is involved in web business, allow their doman to expire ?

Mind-boggling
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by deco2come: 4:27pm On Mar 05, 2012
zebudaya:

You folks love to celebrate and defend mediocrity. Shilling is right. Most African sites are ugly. A good programmer should have an eye for design. End of story. There are free wordpress themes one can modify or learn from. One can also use Joomla or Drupal. At least make sure the colors coordinate. Look at this South African website. It's world class. http://www.woothemes.com/

Your story about programming and almost completing the code and there is power outage is moot. What does that have to do with anything?

@Shilling Jobberman is well designed. just add a www and a .com to it. For some reason the forum won't let me post the link here. I guess it's a competitor to "you know who's" site.  grin

You failed to understand the difference between a programmer and a designer
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by soloqy: 4:36pm On Mar 05, 2012
Thatdave:

check
www.dwitch.com
everything was from scratch.
Please say what you feel.

Facebook wannabe or what?

How Original.

Even the spot Facebook logo is supposed to be, have signs of photoshop eraser being used on it.
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by petres007(m): 4:37pm On Mar 05, 2012
Dual Core:

Whois: unotechmedia.com
Registrar of Record: In2net Network Inc.
Record last updated on 16-Jul-2011.
Record expires on 28-Feb-2012.
Record created on 28-Feb-2008.

Damn! This is really bad for business o. Wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen it myself.  shocked angry
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by soloqy: 4:42pm On Mar 05, 2012
gempo:

@shilling you can check out this site www.omavo.com. It is based in Nigeria and developed by a Nigerian and is meant for the world.

Someone get @bros1234 in here.  grin grin
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by zebudaya(m): 4:45pm On Mar 05, 2012
deco2come:

You failed to understand the difference between a programmer and a designer

You fail to appreciate the need for good design. If a programmer sucks at design, he should hire a designer to make his work look good.

Same reason why women wear make up and lipstick. Same reason men polish their shoes and cut their hair. To look good

Bill Gates made billions by realizing computers needed a user interface instead of DOS. Why are you trying to drag us back to the stone age. Everything is judged by what it looks like. Design is as important as function.

I'm done. If y'all want to celebrate mediocrity go ahead. Me and my household would strive for excellence.
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by Nobody: 5:03pm On Mar 05, 2012
Hmmn, veeery interesting thread indeed. . . . .
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by soloqy: 5:25pm On Mar 05, 2012
On the issue at hand, I would say I dont blame the person that started the thread and those supporting her view. There are a couple of people in the webmasters section that I respect(no need to mention their names but I suspect they will know themselves). But there are people in the webmasters section, who incidentally are more vocal and forward in advertising for jobs and replying job ads, that are unprofessional and really graphically/aesthetically challenged. And I suspect its those people that the OP and those in support have based their views on.

A couple of weeks ago, this same issue came up and someone said that we must not criticise badly done jobs nor point out when someone is being unprofessional in his/her work. I remember I tried to make the person understand that Nairaland's Internet reach is quite extensive and that there was a danger of people both in Nigeria and abroad, to start placing all webmasters in Nigeria on the same pedestal. This is why I said that.

I can tell you that there are good designers that I know who only visit the webmasters forum just for the sake of it and would not post their work or jobs here so as not to be placed on the same pedestal. I know that some people will then say that if they do post their jobs, that the jobs would stand them out, but there is more to it than that.

We saw in this webmasters section last year, when someone replied to an advert for a web design job and listed jobs from another companies portfolio. Just to impress the person looking for a web designer. Imagine that? Steal links to someone else's portfolio and pass it off here as his own. Isnt that preposterous? With the level of unprofessionalism going on here, it doesnt even end at just stealing links and passing it off as theirs. Anyone that can do that, can as well go to your clients(which they will get from your links) and totally mess up things for you. Even if you get to clear up issues later,  a damage, no matter how little, has been done.

These are some reasons why some of those people(who I know personally), shy away from posting their portfolio here.

So, like some have already said, no need to use some people in here to judge.
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by yawatide(f): 6:26pm On Mar 05, 2012
zebudaya,

It appears you are hearing me but not listening. If you were doing the latter in addition to the former, you would have understood that I am actually directly talking to the message/OP and not the messenger.

If you have noticed, I have purposely not picked any fights with anyone on here. This is because I firmly believe in the battle of ideas, as opposed to the "naija way" of "he/she who shouts loudest is in the right" - Caution!

In other news:
I am surprised about unotechmedia. Their sites/clientele are superb. I hope everything is alright with them. I would hate to see them disappear from the naija web dev scene. They are definitely trailblazers.
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by ogzille(m): 6:38pm On Mar 05, 2012
We have some cool naija sites, am just so sure!!! angry angry angry
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by newslive(f): 7:04pm On Mar 05, 2012
well, checkout this website, buit in nigeria by a nigerian and for nigerians

Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by remoranger(m): 8:02pm On Mar 05, 2012
na wwa o. well. i come dey fia to post my site. chai. lol. its been a looooong time coming. this fight grin grin grin
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by binaflexia: 8:17pm On Mar 05, 2012
*dhtml:

Hmmn, veeery interesting thread indeed. . . . .
. . . . DHTML grin

The guy no fit shout, becos him know say he site be like blog.
Bros you really need web designer for that your site shia make u for fit concentrate for the development aspect were u for get power, na so oyinbo dey do am.
You still be chairman any day.

@topic
see my new work as my power reach.
www.sabidgroup.com
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 05, 2012
binaflexia:

. . . . DHTML grin

Bros you really need web designer for that your site shia make u for fit concentrate for the development aspect were u for get power, na so oyinbo dey do am.

@topic
www.sabidgroup.com
Caramba. My website is a developer's site, nothing is wrong with it - www..net - has a blog but it is not a blog - and it has good alexa ranking too.
I dont have space to update my portfolio, but new sites i will add to my portfolio include:-
- www.interswitchng.com (The Main Interswitch Website) - Yes, I said it - and in the public too.
- Afribank / Mainstreet Bank - http://www.mainstreetbanklimited.com/ - still work in progress - www.bank.dhtmlkits.com
Na why i dey laff for some of una be that. . . .werrin be my own? As long as cash dey enter. . . .and i am not doing rubbish for my clients.

Aside of all that, i cannot find a basis for comparison between http://www.sabidgroup.com/ and http://www..net
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by greenmouse(m): 8:48pm On Mar 05, 2012
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:09pm On Mar 05, 2012
grin grin grin grin I recommend @poster to be bokoed without further delay grin
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by MrWhy1(m): 9:18pm On Mar 05, 2012
She has a point.  It all about concept, ideas and also staying abreast with the latest web technology. We seem to lack it and it spans across many professions and not only our web designers.

Instead of attack the messenger, focus on the message.
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by Sprumbaba: 9:19pm On Mar 05, 2012
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by MrWhy1(m): 9:34pm On Mar 05, 2012
yawa-ti-de:

No one is celebrating or defending mediocrity here.  At least I am not.  We need to move past talking points that aren't based on facts.  Just because you haven't had the opportunity to see a good site doesn't mean they exist.  Also, when you say most, that assumes you have seen at least 51% of the Nigerian websites out there. . .and I doubt this is the case.  Again, if you have done your research well, present it to the forum and I will be the first one to take back all I have said here on this thread.

Singing Kumbayah. You too get mouth cheesy.

binaflexia:

. . . . DHTML grin

@topic
www.sabidgroup.com

You try sha cool. But some of your menu's no dey open.

*dhtml:

Caramba. My website is a developer's site, nothing is wrong with it - www..net - has a blog but it is not a blog - and it has good alexa ranking too.
I dont have space to update my portfolio, but new sites i will add to my portfolio include:-
- www.interswitchng.com (The Main Interswitch Website) - Yes, I said it - and in the public too.
- Afribank / Mainstreet Bank - http://www.mainstreetbanklimited.com/ - still work in progress - www.bank.dhtmlkits.com
Na why i dey laff for some of una be that. . . .werrin be my own? As long as cash dey enter. . . .and i am not doing rubbish for my clients.

Aside of all that, i cannot find a basis for comparison between http://www.sabidgroup.com/ and http://www..net

That your site need simplicity. Too rag-tagged for the eyes.
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by Nobody: 9:34pm On Mar 05, 2012
Re: Show Off Your Best Work. by binaflexia: 9:40pm On Mar 05, 2012
*dhtml:

No matter the purpose of a website, a good design will always make the site more interesting to it's users.

Me, I'm not a good interface designer myself, but I recognise and appreciate one when I see it.

www.dhtmlexreme.net interface? it's nah. . . nah. . . .nah. It looks like a poorly edited blog template.

Check out www.css-tricks.com, also a  developer's site and tell me your observations.

And for the comparison. I built mine from scratch while yours is a edited template. Right?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Is The Cost Of A Website In Nigeria?? / Access Bank Wants To Exchange My Ad Income At N305/$ / What Is Cloud Hosting: How Does It Really Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.