Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,554 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk - Health (2268) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk (8177316 Views)

Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) / Can I Still Get Pregnant Or Do I Remove The Fibroid / Revealed: The Secret Fertility System That Cures Infertility & Get You Pregnant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2265) (2266) (2267) (2268) (2269) (2270) (2271) ... (6958) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by BritneyStacy: 4:39am On Sep 03, 2016
Liftedhands:
Anak123 and melly245(456)ma

Britneystacy I am patiently waiting to see my sons name sake o! My Ekene wanted to appear yesterday too but he saw so many broken bottles na so the guy dodge take cover ;

Mummy Senior Ekene, meet us on thread cuties this Thursday cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by carinmom(f): 4:49am On Sep 03, 2016
sugah:
SEPTEMBER IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Father we thank you for bringing us this far in this beautiful journey of procreation. We ask that you perfect this blessing you have bestowed upon us.
We commit all our September mamas into your hands and ask for supernatural deliveries, healthy babies, healthy mothers and happy fathers.

We thank you for those of us that have welcomed our bundles of joy already. We ask that you provide all that is required to take care of them.

We pray that the month of September would bring countless miraculous bfps to our ATC mamad especially to those that are on the verge of losing faith in You.

Ehen my mamas, anybody that born should mention me abeg. Vigilante is real. And I applaud mamas that have time to share their BS immediately after delivery.. welldone tiimzy.

Hello team captain, hope our baby is doing well ooo and sucking enough milk.

I have been delivered of a beautiful baby girl on the 2nd via C-section.

Thanks for all your prayers.

34 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by sugah: 5:01am On Sep 03, 2016
Congrats to joomie and carinmom. May God bless your LOs.

1. sugah...*** ported to August...handsome prince***
2. Chili89...EDD 8th...Team Pink
3. Uglybetty1...***Ported to August***beautiful princess****
4. Loistee..***ported to August.. handsome prince****
5. Mowojuoluwa********** God knows best **
6. Serefunmee
7. Blessedmum...EDD 18th...Team blue
8. Mummyife...EDD 15th...Team blue
9. Olaoyekemi...EDD 21/25th...Team Blue
10. switlolly27....EDD 26th....Team Green
11. Funmz.....EDD 25th...Team Green
12. Ibari
13. Starbuck...EDD 13th...Team Blue
14. Cheerychy ** waiting for your transfer letter**
15. Carinmom...*** beautiful princess
16. Beebee12
17. AdaEkube...EDD 28th...Team Pink
18. Teal................Team blue
19. HillyMa...EDD 5th...Team blue
20.MamaOO.....EDD 2nd....Team blue
21. Sexyshe.*** ported to August.. handsome prince***
22..Jina24......EDD 26th........Team pink
23. eigmaticme..****God knows best***
24. Simababe..........Team Green
25.Ahmanim
26. Tiimzy... ported to August, beautiful princess
27. besttbabe
28. Tippex....EDD 28th....Team Pink
29 Haleematm...*** ported to August, handsome prince***
30. Odycute
31. Babysugar1.......Team blue
32. PresVA
33. Itunumary
34. Tallgirlslim......Team blue
35. Mumgb...........Team pink
36. Jesusbaby1.....Team pink
37. hormobollar...EDD 10th...Team pink
38. Joomie..... *** beautiful princess
39. Chizeal.....EDD 28th...Team Blue
40. Faari.......Team Green
41. mymoneygrows.***Ported to July...2 beautiful Princesses!
42. portable4real.....Team Blue
43. tipsyjules......Team blue.
44. Coldfeet **ported to August, 3 handsome princes***
45. Lastbornop*** deported to August
46. OmoNwa
47. HerteEnUke26....EDD 8th...Team Green
48.Chubby100....EDD 20th...Team Blue
49. Fabmummy (on behalf of her sister )....EDD 21st...Team green****angel baby, God knows best
50. rollyare...EDD 28th...Team Blue
51. Mitchydiva...EDD 4th...Team Pink
52. Tequila10...EDD 12th...Team Blue
53. Peggygee....EDD 6th...Team..
54. Liftedhands (on behalf of her sister)...EDD 12th...Team Pink
55. Damysa...EDD 15th...Team Pink
56. Jamjam5000...EDD 2nd ...Team Pink
57. Nkoyo13...EDD?...Team Green
58. runsaway...EDD 11th..Team pink.
59. gurlnext2u...EDD 28th...Team blue
60. VEE992..EDD29th...Team Blue

3 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by mitchyy(f): 5:03am On Sep 03, 2016
ahnie:
Time to bow out from this thread.the hatred and pretence here z so obvious.

Oh Missmalachi
Zaynie
Melly234
Soonest
Mitchyy
Foetus
Harmymy
Maureensylvia
Bolade005
Liftedhands
Rezzy

Wipes tears... cry cry
Shakes her big bum cry cry cry cry cry cry

There z Godu.

cry cry cry cry Oniovo why now?
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by mitchyy(f): 5:04am On Sep 03, 2016
Congratulations to all those who have offloaded. May Jehovah's blessings remain on your little ones.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by sugah: 5:08am On Sep 03, 2016
carinmom:

Congrats luv
My dear, the sucking is now aggressive. Once he opens his mouth and breast never enter he starts fighting. I think its the multivitamin he is on that's making him very hungry.
But I can't complain cos its also helping my stomach contrast.
Is your BM flowing yet?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by enque(f): 5:15am On Sep 03, 2016
U de even buy for 6k...pregnacare max is now 7k plus lipsrsealed undecided
I don de mentally calculate how I go buy 4 more packs to take me till december, once I exhaust d one I have now. Bearing in mind that the price may increase 2moro sef.

Na God go save man pikin!

sugah:

I switched for 2 reasons:
I was traveling and needed to buy 3 packets and that came upto 6,000*3=18,000 (in this buhari economy grin)
Pronatal was 2100*3=6,300

2. Pronatal is for pre, during and post pregnancy. So im still taking mine after childbirth.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by enque(f): 5:31am On Sep 03, 2016
Our matron at ANC confirmed this same thing when one mama said she had stopped eating plantain since she got preggers cos someone told her abt the 'oka' thingy....

Abeg o!! Eat ur plantain wells o...I fit help u eat sef if u still de fear grin grin

Florena:
Sô I Google-d soft spot on babies' head and I just discovered it's called Fontanelles and very normal. The posterior one will close early say 6weeks, while the anterior one takes almost a year to 18months.

Yoruba mothers call it "Oka" and they claim eating plantain while pregnant is the main cause, SMH! And to think that i stopped eating plantain cry cry cry

I think we should discuss pregnancy myths self, the thread is boring!

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by cherrymum1: 5:41am On Sep 03, 2016
Florena:
Sô I Google-d soft spot on babies' head and I just discovered it's called Fontanelles and very normal. The posterior one will close early say 6weeks, while the anterior one takes almost a year to 18months.

Yoruba mothers call it "Oka" and they claim eating plantain while pregnant is the main cause, SMH! And to think that i stopped eating plantain cry cry cry

I think we should discuss pregnancy myths self, the thread is boring!

Don't mind all these carriers of pregnancy myths...... Awwww u now stopped eating plantain.... I love plantain so much but during pregnancy it was irritating me sha but when I offloaded I continued my thing o.
Plantain doesn't cause anything especially the unripe one I heard is a good source of iron.

Abeg fry ur selxy plantain and post here o....*cheeky tongue out*

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by cherrymum1: 5:44am On Sep 03, 2016
Carinmom and joomie....congrats on the births of ur babies. The hand of God will always be upon them. Kisses to them...

2 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by cherrymum1: 5:46am On Sep 03, 2016
NNE Ekene, tainkzzzz for the love... I'm sure the king of freshness os still getting fresher. God will keep them for us.

2 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by cherrymum1: 5:50am On Sep 03, 2016
Mr. Bolase005, when I never chop recharge card from u, u wan come bow out...
Ahnie....u berra come back here...where u dey go?

Abeg o....this thread go be like Queens College (grandma attend, mummy attend and daughter go attend) kikikikijiki

7 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Jennifer89(f): 6:00am On Sep 03, 2016
yimu# mamas that want to leave this thread what's your problem? why do you want to leave a house you have built from foundation because you saw some termite feasting on the plywoods?

look, mamas must quarrel. even our dh we kpekus every night is not spared. we argue with our siblings and parents so why the i want to 'bow' out talk? this is a forum comprising of individuals with different temperament. So, you don't expect misunderstanding not to emerge. Note that inasmuch as we want to maintain decorum, issues must arise. if it doesn't arise today it will definitely arise tomorrow.

I remember when mamas in the new born thread were condemning pap aka ogi. i just pity that mama that said she gives her baby pap. you need to read what some mamas wrote as if giving your child pap is a death sentence claiming that it has no nutritional benefit even if u garnish with crayfish........ bla bla bla (They also drag there grin)

roll eyes# Anyways, it's your decision. if u feel you wanna go bye bye as my Warri people will say 'Happy Leaving'( Sorry if it offends you)

But note that as you're leaving you are hurting those who cherish you. imagine a mother walking away from her hungry kids.

Abi una they enjoy the 'please don't go' grin grin grin grin grin grin

I raise Beyonce hands for all mamas and again, no vex if my post site your borri am just thinking aloud grin mmuah mmuah mmuah!!!!!!

24 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by helovesme(f): 6:23am On Sep 03, 2016
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by carinmom(f): 6:27am On Sep 03, 2016
sugah:

Congrats luv

Thanks for all your prayers smiley

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by carinmom(f): 6:28am On Sep 03, 2016
cherrymum1:
Carinmom and joomie....congrats on the births of ur babies. The hand of God will always be upon them. Kisses to them...

Thank you dear, and amen to the prayers.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by missmalachi: 6:37am On Sep 03, 2016
Joomie:
Limps into thread, blows whistle.
Mamas in the house, join me in praising God, the King of Kings that has blesses my family with a bundle of joy.
My cheeky chubby princess arrived yesterday 02/09/16 (my LMP EDD) at exactly 10:20am via V.D with episiotomy Weighing 3.5kg.

Scan won DH.
cc Sugah jamjam5000.
B.S in a bit, still in the hospital.
Congrats dear,may her arrival bring bountiful blessing to your family.enjoy vigilante.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by missmalachi: 6:43am On Sep 03, 2016
carinmom:

Congrats dear,may her the immeasurable blessings of the lord continue to be with her.

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by esof1(f): 6:44am On Sep 03, 2016
This post is very long but highly educative.
Cc. florena, enque. I saw ur post and decided to share this. My mum and her friends have been on my neck as regards this anterior fontanelle on my ds, thank God for my stubborness, I wud av given my son one "nonsense agbo"

So what is this "Oka"?
The Grannies and some mums believe that there is a "hole" or "space" which is "breathing" or pulsating in the head of the new baby which is abnormal. That this soft space is not right and should not be there. Any baby that has this "abnormal space or hole" is diagnosed with "Oka". 

For fat, hairy babies, the "hole" is not so apparent and often ignored. However, in smaller babies who are also not gaining weight or perhaps loosing weight, the space is very prominent and can even be sunken. Such babies are easily labelled as having "Oka" and commenced on all forms of treatment ranging from application of substances on the scalp to drinking herbal remedies. There are lots of myths and beliefs surrounding this "Oka".

So why am I talking about "Oka"?
Some years ago, during my residency training to become a Paediatrician, I was working at the Children Emergency Room (CHER) at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital when two women rushed in with a baby crying. That is not unusual in CHER. What was terrifying that day was when I saw the baby rushed in. He was about 2 - 3 months old. For the first time in my life, I was seeing the brain live and direct in a living person who was not being operated. This was not a movie scene! The brain of this baby was completely visible to everyone. What happened? 

In the usual fashion, the grandma who came for "omugwo" had made a diagnosis of "Oka" and has prescribed the traditional treatment which was coating the surface with a black material. Unfortunately, in this scenario, whatever substance was applied was so caustic, it eroded (burnt) away the membrane of the anterior fontanelle and you can see the baby's brain live and direct!!! Of course, this was disastrous....for baby, mother and grandma and even us the doctors. 

That is why I talk and educate mums about this traditional myths and beliefs that are dangerous to children's health. Of course, granny did not mean to harm her precious grandson but she did anyway.  That baby had to undergo brain surgery. Of course, he had serious infection of the brain even before and after surgery. Though he did not die, but there are long-term complications he will face all because of someone's ignorance. No wonder, ignorance is more expensive than education.

FACTS TO KNOW ABOUT "OKA"
1. The "soft hole or space" often erroneously believed to be an abnormality is A NORMAL PART of the baby's head. It is called ANTERIOR FONTANELLE (AF). 

Every baby has it. It is there to allow along with the small spaces (sutures) between the different bones of the skull to accommodate the baby's brain growth. So it is not "OKA" or any other thing....It is a normal part of the baby's head.

2. The anterior fontanelle (AF) is covered by a membrane, and this membrane is what actually separates the baby's brain from the environment. It is that important! So any application of substances that can damage this membrane will lead to exposure of the brain to the environment with serious consequences like in the story above.

3. The fact that in some babies, very hairy or chubby especially, that you can not see it pulsating or "breathing" in local naija parlance does not mean it is not there. Some mums have actually said their babies do not anterior fontanelle! That is not true....every baby is born with one!

4. The size and shape of the AF varies from one baby to another normally. In some conditions, it can be too big. Also the anterior fontannelle can be elevated "bulging" in some conditions especially if the baby has infections in the brain. It can be depressed "sunken" in other conditions like in babies that are very dehydrated or malnourished. 

Please note that in these conditions, it is not the AF causing the disease symptoms (for example diarrhoea and dehydration with sunken AF). Rather, the AF is just reflecting the fact that something is wrong in the body systems.

It is important to say this because this is one of the reasons some mums believe in "OKA". Such babies are sick and may either have prominent or sunken AF in addition to other symptoms. The "OKA doctors" will now say it is the "oka" causing the symptoms. 

The danger of this belief is all treatments will be directed to the AF and the underlying disease causing the change in AF will be ignored. Also some of the native medications often use d have dangerous side effects and consequences especially on the immature liver and kidneys of the babies causing further damage...."fry pan to fire" scenario!!!

5. The AF closes on its own by age of 18 - 24 months. This is because more than 90% of brain growth and development has occurred by the age of 2 years. You did not need to do anything about it. It happens on its own. Just to note that some diseases can cause delay in closure of the AF. See your paediatrician if you can still feel the AF in your baby after age 2 years.

6. You did not need to apply oil to the AF hourly or daily....highly unnecessary and the dripping oil will cause rashes on the baby's face. The AF is not "drying up" like many naija mums believe. You also do not need to put thread from cloth. You also do not need to mop AF with hot water or apply any substances local or herbal on it. JUST LEAVE THE AF ALONE!!!

7. Finally if your baby is sick with or without observed changes in the AF, please go to the Hospital immediately. Don't assume and don't accept the "OKA" diagnosis. Please see your doctor for proper  diagnosis and treatment. A stitch in time saves nine
Copied from askthepediatrician.com.

32 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Blessedmum(f): 7:02am On Sep 03, 2016
sugah:

Make me too threaten to leave the thread wether anybody go beg me to stay grin grin grin

I aint going nowhere, at least for now but vigilante is real. So I really commend mamas that still have time to answer questions even with their hands full. God bless you all.

My September mamas how far? Any births yet? Any contractions? Any show? It shall be well with us all.
Cappo ayam on my knees begging you not to go, at least wait for team September to offload finish grin
I trust you not to go sha. I never thought ppl ll still be taking dis issue far. It's normal for us to fight and it is the right thing to forgive and forget too.
Please we shouldn't let the purpose of this thread be defeated, let's all come together and unite back as one. ONE LOVELOVE kiss kiss kiss
Senior Zanies congrats on your new job, the place ll favor u ijn.

2 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Blessedmum(f): 7:05am On Sep 03, 2016
Joomie:
Limps into thread, blows whistle.
Mamas in the house, join me in praising God, the King of Kings that has blesses my family with a bundle of joy.
My cheeky chubby princess arrived yesterday 02/09/16 (my LMP EDD) at exactly 10:20am via V.D with episiotomy Weighing 3.5kg.
Congrats mama, welcome to our world Princess.
Team September dropping painlessly, thank you Jesus.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Blessedmum(f): 7:08am On Sep 03, 2016
carinmom:

Another September baby in the house, congrats Teamie. Plz rest well.

2 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Blessedmum(f): 7:26am On Sep 03, 2016
iomoge2 sorry about the fall and hope u're strong now. As regards the scan, there is nothing to be worried about my baby has always been reading two weeks ahead. My recent scan at 36weeks shows baby is now weighing 2.8kg .
Before I forget plz bring party rice for ur girl, seriously craving for one.

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by airforcewife(f): 7:28am On Sep 03, 2016
Thanks Maama esof1 for the piece, enlightening!
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Amhappy(f): 7:42am On Sep 03, 2016
Omojudy:

That friend has he got a job? And there is something my aunty in law does, she cooks only twice a day for guests. At lunch she will give kids something though. Also reduce rations at home and dont leave even garri lying around. Do all these with a smiling face.

Friend is into this GNLD things. He keeps complaining that they ve not been paid.

Thanks @ that your Aunty tip.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by esof1(f): 7:43am On Sep 03, 2016
airforcewife:
Thanks Maama esof1 for the piece, enlightening!
U welcome sis.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by firsttymum(f): 7:44am On Sep 03, 2016
babythug:

Biko nnwanem,

Biko Nyem number for Tanko..... Odi very urgent!

Dalu oh

Hep your girl plssssss

see attached
Cc Mumtwins08

3 Shares

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Amhappy(f): 7:47am On Sep 03, 2016
realdentist:
is ur dh owing the friend a favour or something? I don't understand how u can comfortably stay in someone's house for 3 years (not weeks) knowing that they are financially constrained.

My dear I don't know if he owes him any favour. The thing tire me ooo
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by HerteEnUke26(f): 7:52am On Sep 03, 2016
princessKF:

Thanks mama.... i'm just trying to look tender and beautiful like our senior mummies in the house. How is Ekene bobo?
ohhh so sorry mama, am just seeing this, u know dey palpate with hands so I guess that's where the inaccuracy comes from. Sure it will end in praise. Thanks a lot ma'am
@ma' am liftedhands

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by HerteEnUke26(f): 7:55am On Sep 03, 2016
sugah:
Congrats to joomie and carinmom. May God bless your LOs.
yippee!!! My teamies having it painless and supernatural, guess that 5mins delivery prayer works. Alhamdulullah Dearies, God bless our little ones.

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by kemesty(f): 7:56am On Sep 03, 2016
Congratulations to carinmom and joomie. Your princesses will continually bring you joy and they will fulfil purpose.

Cappp sixx , edd according to lmp is 7th January. I am 22 weeks today. Hospital couldn't check for sex at my last appointment. Will definitely update it as soon as i find out.

Accountant Zaynie, congratulations on your new job appointment. How's queen Atinuke? But before your handover, you gats to be investigated by the Efcc, Icpc, SARS, VIO, FRSC, auditor general of the federation , FIRS , pls remind me any I am leaving out.
We need to know what happened to all our tomatoes, gas and dollars.

Britneystacy, i am still waiting to read your BS to know how labor is real. How's prince Ekene? My hugs and kisses to him.

I have been so busy lately with work. I love you all mamas.

Jazzyjazz, 'how is you'
Nothing but goodnews to the remaining September mamas who are yet to offload. Mother, father and baby will be in good health will great joy.

6 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Amhappy(f): 7:58am On Sep 03, 2016
missmalachi:

@ amhappy.......by default the wife takes the blame for every action taken.even if he helps financially and otherwise i think he should be encourage to have an apartment of his own and start getting things gradually.i think you should stop loaning money to cater for them except it is so necessary.just be careful and apply wisdom cos i for one prefer departing with people in peace.

My dear I prefer departing in peace too that's why I have let it be all this while. He doesn't contribute financially. I was even buying bathing soap for him or he will be secretly using mine. I have to start hiding detergent,my hair cream etc,it now a burden.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2265) (2266) (2267) (2268) (2269) (2270) (2271) ... (6958) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.