Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic (9287 Views)

Unpatriotic Nature Of Nairaland So Called Opposition Crew / Northern Elders Amnesty Call For Boko Haram: Unpatriotic, Insane And Insulting / Spreading Rumors That Our President Is Dead Is Unpatriotic And Ungodly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Aladinn(m): 7:36pm On Mar 08, 2012
bittyend:

We can't keep blaming them - they did what they thought was right, to get the British off our back, and they achieved their objective. And we all know they laid a good foundation for the future of Nigeria - until the events of 1966. We must never forget our history, but we also need to move on and look for ways to make our future a better one.

Our founding fathers are all dead and buried - and they're not the ones destroying Nigeria today. We all need to look at the man in the mirror, and take our destiny into our hands.
I understand your point perfectly well. And i like your burnin desire about being nigerian and being patrotic.
The truth is, every patrotic act is viewed under the prism of ethnicity. Either as ethnic gain or as a show of ethnic superiority.
Right, our founding fathers are dead and gone, but their deeds (self-centeredness) lives on. The 1954 census ws d beginning of the corruption that has eaten deep into our conscience. The outcome of the census had ethnicity written over it.
The only way patrotism can be redefined in this country is by putting it in primary school curriculum, that pupils should see themselves, first as Nigerians before any other classification. Moreso, a law should be passed that evry child is an indigene of his/her birth town.
Without these, the issue of being patrotic would only be a discussing subject.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Mogidi: 8:02pm On Mar 08, 2012
There's nothing Nigerians love more than whinning and complaining. Nigerians would tell you how advanced the US and Uk are but when you ask how to make Nigeria into a new"USA" he would be out of his depth. Is it a coinsidence that most of our rulers studied abroad but failed to see how societies are governed?
A Nigerian would blame all the ills of society on the govt but should he win an election, he'd out do those he complained about.  We only believe in ready made countries and blame govt for every thing while doing nothing ourselves.

Whilst blaming govt please include these people.
The Police (bribe takers)
The civil servants who go to work but does nowt all day
The rest of Nigeria that remained passive in the face of corruption.

Did I leave out any group?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by LogicMind: 8:04pm On Mar 08, 2012
I am not a nigerian.

(and neither are you)
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by eghost247(m): 8:13pm On Mar 08, 2012
wrong to genralize i love my country
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by ufot(m): 8:18pm On Mar 08, 2012
Let us all examine our inner selves and then ask the question"Am I patriotic?" We all talk too much.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by wakagirl: 8:21pm On Mar 08, 2012
bittyend:

I'm coming over in september. I spend the last three months of every year in Nigeria and I have been doing that for 4years now. The time is now, enough of all these clueless and thieving bastards - we must take a stand!

me thinks being this patriotic is not spending 9 months out of 9ja but 365/366 days
i love your passion and will be looking forward to you starting
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Mogidi: 8:25pm On Mar 08, 2012
ufot:

Let us all examine our inner selves and then ask the question"Am I patriotic?" We all talk too much.

Am sorry 90% of Nigerians are incapable of the above, its easier for a Nigerian to blame someone else e.g the govt, other tribes etc.

wakagirl:

me thinks being this patriotic is not spending 9 months out of 9ja but 365/366 days
i love your passion and will be looking forward to you starting

Are you for real? So spending 365/366 days makes you patriotic? I think you're out of your depth here try the "romance section". Hehehe!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by babsomotde(m): 8:38pm On Mar 08, 2012
Sorry, a point of correction. There are still some honest, down to earth and patriotic citizen of nigeria home and abroad. I'm one of them. I believe in nigeria even if it is going to fall but I pray it never. A good thing produced by thousand of people can be destroy by just one bad egg. So, i think there are also other patriotic citizen in Naija . THANKS.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by wakagirl: 8:44pm On Mar 08, 2012
Mogidi:

Am sorry 90% of Nigerians are incapable of the above, its easier for a Nigerian to blame someone else e.g the govt, other tribes etc.

Are you for real? So spending 365/366 days makes you patriotic? I think you're out of your depth here try the "romance section". Hehehe!!!

remove whatever you have blocking your sight and reread it
did i say poster is not?
so all those mentioned as being patriotic like Awolowo, Ojuku, Gani and co spend few months of the year in 9ja and enjoy the rest in oyinbo country only staying in 9ja btw Sept and Dec when understandably its a wise thing to do because of bad weather during that period. i beg
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Mzekezeke: 8:56pm On Mar 08, 2012
The Nigerian is full of self-interest and inglorious scheming and subterfuge against his fellow man. What more do you expect from a people who sold their own brothers to transatlantic slavers from the 16th-19th centuries.

Nigeria is Africa's armpit and will forever remain a cursed toilet of a country and Nigerians are bacteria fighting to climb out of that toilet to go and infect other countries. Wherever you go you find them peddling filth and criminality yet they have a country blessed with the Earth's bounties.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Lexoria: 9:06pm On Mar 08, 2012
Are you kidding?Patriotic?Tried already even against all odds,left europe with the family to go touch lives in 'our beloved' country only to be robbed twice in 9months,threatened with kidnapping which was the last straw.We went to the police to seek help,an outrageous bill was thrown at us to station 2mopol to us.We had to hurriedly leave the country cos those ones are also thieves,as we backed out from the deal,they might send their people to us just to make sure we come back to them.Imagine being in your country and you can't sleep.In one of those incidents,I was almost raped in front of our 2kids.Thank God for the car that seemed to be approaching our gate and the rogues fled thinking,it was the patrol van.You are forced to act normal in the face operation mettted out to people they have nobody.You talk and everyone lashes out at you,the people act like abnormal beings.Pls when you guys have made the change then we'd think of patriotism.Goodluck with that tho.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Arosa(m): 9:17pm On Mar 08, 2012
Mzekezeke:

The Nigerian is full of self-interest and inglorious scheming and subterfuge against his fellow man. What more do you expect from a people who sold their own brothers to transatlantic slavers from the 16th-19th centuries.

Nigeria is Africa's armpit and will forever remain a cursed toilet of a country and Nigerians are bacteria fighting to climb out of that toilet to go and infect other countries. Wherever you go you find them peddling filth and criminality yet they have a country blessed with the Earth's bounties.

You are a daft stinking cunnt, go to your fat asss brothers and sisters and spread your aids in peace!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by chrisvdt: 9:18pm On Mar 08, 2012
because d one's not home or abroad are d patroitic ones
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Trules: 9:29pm On Mar 08, 2012
what is there to be patriotic about I will never be patriotic again , i have tried  , have bleed cried and tried . There is nothing i can do  to bring my arms to raise that flag with pride again.There is no reason to have any kind of pride or patriotism for Nigeria. (Nobody should use any one person as a reason to have pride in Nigeria , anyone who is/ was Nigerian and became successful did not do so because of or due to Nigeria. We should have pride in Nigeria , if at all because of what Nigeria represents as a whole not as what parts of it represent or people from Nigeria represent. )

Give me one good reason to be patriotic, ,anybody , one good reason, one good example , , cry

Didn't think so ,

I was in Nigeria for Independence day 2010, on a long trip to some friends , was listening to the radio, i was probably the only person listening  the presenter egged people on to call in and say something positive about our 50th independence day, after 3 hours of switching in and out of the station, i don't think one person called.

I should be patriotic,,  to a country led by ignorance , pfeh

I should be patriotic,,   to a place where we have so little in the way of personal identity every school boy grows thinking that the lyrics to 50 cents songs should be their motto in life , and that American rappers are the norm or should be our norm. . ( I got tired of looking at every young man, some with more artistic, mathematical or other talent thinking he was 50 cent , and in their mind aspiring to be  the same, look at most of the male musicians and tell me every second one doesn't have the rhythm of " Candy Shop" built in some how.)

I should be patriotic, , to a country where all we can think of is the best way to get one over on our fellow man

I should be patriotic, , to a place where many friendship are bought and sold for the price of a star ( beer , not object in the sky)

I should be patriotic ,, to a place where people will not stand up for another human being or even try to  help each other if there is nothing for them to gain.  I have seen some people hover around an accident , and when  they think no one is looking , thy picked the cars in the crash clean like vultures.

I should be patriotic ,, to a country where , god forgive me ,. , no joke , I have met people who are at university, but somehow don'T deem to be able to read or write, ( not saying i am the best there is )

I should be patriotic to ,, a country where when I grew up we were allowing teachers to beat young children with sticks as thick as my nephews arm, until some would bleed and others would carry those scars for life.

I should be patriotic to ,, a place where we are not going to move forward no matter who is in charge North, South, East ,West ,Upside Down or Tribal gods.

I should be patriotic to,,  a country where a decade and more ago there was rampant cultism and violation and God knows what else was going on in some of the so called best Schools of West Africa , and the mentors educators and principals stood by and watched ( some even literally, if they didn't take part).

I could go on but my blood pressure and age will not allow it,  So in closing I say , I could no more be patriotic to Nigeria than I could be to a rock sticking out of the mud.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Mogidi: 9:33pm On Mar 08, 2012
wakagirl:

remove whatever you have blocking your sight and reread it
did i say poster is not?
so all those mentioned as being patriotic like Awolowo, Ojuku, Gani and co spend few months of the year in 9ja and enjoy the rest in oyinbo country only staying in 9ja btw Sept and Dec when understandably its a wise thing to do because of bad weather during that period. i beg

You still don't get the crux of my arguement. Staying 365 days in Nigeria does not make you patriotic. Gani is not regarded as a patriot because he spent 365 days a year in Nigeria. He's a patriot because of what he did, what he fought for etc.
Look up the word "patriot" in the dictionary and then come back, meanwhile,  return your sorry azz to the romance section. This is beyond you darling.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Trules: 9:42pm On Mar 08, 2012
"Sorry, a point of correction. There are still some honest, down to earth and patriotic citizen of nigeria home and abroad. I'm one of them. I believe in nigeria even if it is going to fall but I pray it never. A good thing produced by thousand of people can be destroy by just one bad egg. So, i think there are also other patriotic citizen in Naija . THANKS."

But can one good egg survive amongst a million bad ones?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Arosa(m): 9:49pm On Mar 08, 2012
Trules:

"Sorry, a point of correction. There are still some honest, down to earth and patriotic citizen of nigeria home and abroad. I'm one of them. I believe in nigeria even if it is going to fall but I pray it never. A good thing produced by thousand of people can be destroy by just one bad egg. So, i think there are also other patriotic citizen in Naija . THANKS."

But can one good egg survive amongst a million bad ones?

Sure why not, its only the nose of the observer you should be worried about not the one egg. tongue
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by bakila: 10:30pm On Mar 08, 2012
Nigerians are very patriotic, problem is our system entrust people with money and power over who will say anything about the money. We are indifferent to suffering around us. Give any naijain money he turns to five element ninja.
We are in a cash and carry I pass my neigbour set up. That mentality must go first, then treat ethnic nationalisn we are on our way.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by prodam(m): 11:08pm On Mar 08, 2012
I think this topic seeks to find a solution to a recurrent problem in our dear nation, the topic is asking an important question which is paramount to finding a solution to the problem of non-patriotism , the Topic is not giving room for some impatient ones to start condemning our dear Nation.

The thing is this, if you think the whole system is corrupt, simply, continue with your own self principle of patriotism.
if you are a patriotic citizen already, please continue to be one cos I strongly believe that Nigeria would have a new story

if the youth of today are saying NO to change, then we are preparing for a worse situation in this country.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Nobody: 11:29pm On Mar 08, 2012
@OP define patriotism and I'll tell you what I am undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by koruji(m): 1:34am On Mar 09, 2012
There is no Nigeria, so how can you accuse Nigerians of been unpatriotic. That is the truth. Every TDH is just using the cesspool to further their own ends.

But if you do think there is a Nigeria the real question you need to ask is WHY ARE NIGERIAN LEADERS SO UNPATRIOTIC.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by koruji(m): 1:39am On Mar 09, 2012
Even when it is clear that unpatriotic leaders are going to ruin the lives of 150 million people if not called out.

Patriotism sounds good, but remember the phrase "PATRIOTISM IS THE LAST REFUGE OF THE SCOUNDREL". Our leaders have shown they are SCOUNDRELS, hence their use of patriotism to get support. We know better.

prodam:

I think this topic seeks to find a solution to a recurrent problem in our dear nation, the topic is asking an important question which is paramount to finding a solution to the problem of non-patriotism , the Topic is not giving room for some impatient ones to start condemning our dear Nation.

The thing is this, if you think the whole system is corrupt, simply, continue with your own self principle of patriotism.
if you are a patriotic citizen already, please continue to be one cos I strongly believe that Nigeria would have a new story

if the youth of today are saying NO to change, then we are preparing for a worse situation in this country.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by achinu(m): 1:46am On Mar 09, 2012
@ Poster, I think you as well as many of the Nigerian masses like yourself have settled for accepting mediocrity as being patriotic (Not knowing what your fundamental rights are as a citizen of Nigeria, Fela (R.I.P) said it best, "animal can't give me human rights, because human rights nah my property") , FYI, there is a HUGE difference in being patriotic & just being a mindless follower
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by SamIkenna: 1:55am On Mar 09, 2012
bittyend, I have no doubt you're a good person and that you love Nigeria. In terms of ideal and vision you probably belong in the class of H. Macaulay and Zik. However, this is Nigeria where the likes of Zik and H. Macaulay were not made to flourish and reach the sky because the British didn't craft Nigeria for such lofty ideals to see the light of day.

Britain didn't want a country where nationalism runs deep and boy did they get it on a platter of gold. You might say why do I still mention Britain? Isn't it decades since they left? The answer is yes, its been decades since they left but the reality they left behind is that there is no true nation for us. What they left behind is a geographical expression where every region and tongue seeks total domination. They left us a mix-match of sworn enemies and foes and you cant call that a nation.

Its good to be patriotic but for us to truly have that and not just lip-service patriotism is if we have a true nation that we can lay claim to its founding. Right now it will be disingenuous to use the patriotism of US and English citizens as examples. US and England are nations founded by the people for the people while Nigeria was founded by the queen of England for her empire - BIG DIFFERENCE. And for Nigeria to sustain this empire it had to perpetually be in competition and fighting with its different ethnic groups. Yes, we're no longer sustaining the empire like before but cant you see the in-fighting and bitterness we accumulated over these years of empire sustenance have damaged our love and patriotism?

If you overlook the 52 years of self damage this faulty crafted country did to her people then it would be difficult to see why Nigerians don't feel like they belong here. England, US, France, Germany, etc did not send their armies to mow down their country men but Nigeria did and still doing - now do you see why it would be difficult to have patriotism here? How can a Berom man be patriotic if some of the state machineries are in cahoots with the invaders of Beromland, how can a man in Odi be patriotic after seeing how the army of a country he calls his own sacked and desecrated Odiland, what about Zaki Biam, what about Asaba murder that our govt has failed to render apology, what about those Easterners killed in the North in 1966 with some members of FG army partaking in the ignominy?

A true nation does not kill her people and still expect allegiance from the people, its abomination. Now the question is - is there hope for Nigeria? I will say yes and no. Yes, if we can put a stop to the old British Nigeria and engineer a new one where every group will control her affairs and only rely on FG for a national army and currency. No, if we still hang on to what we have now and still think nature will work things out down the road. So, in the nutshell, what we need now is not really patriotism to Abuja but "patriotism" to truth and faith in the outcome of SNC.

Thats my own.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by udezue(m): 3:14am On Mar 09, 2012
Nigeria is an unnatural entity created by the British so there shouldn't be a reason for u to expect any patriotism. I beg find something else to whine about.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by malaria(f): 6:17am On Mar 09, 2012
Oh! U paptriotic,ugandain.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by KayDee4: 6:19am On Mar 09, 2012
bitty . . .

Pls teach me how to be patriotic. I'm interested.  cool cool cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 09, 2012
I don't know why. Nigerians tend to be unpatriotic, every country on earth has its own problems. This Nigeria is the only country we can call our own, we r Nigerians-being unpatriotic doesn't help us in any way. We re better off patriotic! I'm a proud Nigerian! I defend my country anywhere, any time. Please learn to love your country, so the outside world can love you too.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Nobody: 8:05am On Mar 09, 2012
Some times one is inspired to ask what one can do for one's country when one's country has done something for one- Babzilla wink
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by clemog: 9:13am On Mar 09, 2012
Our leaders are not being patriotic, so how do you expect followers to be?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Both Home And Abroad So Unpatriotic by Nayah(f): 9:32am On Mar 09, 2012
clemog:

Our leaders are not being patriotic, so how do you expect followers to be?
FG is not Nigerians parents, civism and individual education are the key, FG will not do everything everyone has to take his responsability, when you steal this is not Goodluck who send you doing this so I would like Africans to be responsible not always putting blame on authorities, it's about our mentality first

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Court Frees Babalakin Over N4.7bn Fraud / Ike Ekweremadu Visits Governor Dickson (Photos) / Fire At Sokoto Central Market: Tambuwal Sets Up Committee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.