Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? (7952 Views)

Ahmed Mazloum Represents Nigeria On Kilimanjaro Mountain / . / Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by BUSHMAN1: 7:36pm On Jun 14, 2012
pslm23: I haven't been to Nigeria in 4 years. it's sad that the last 2 times i went was to bury my dad and mom sad For my dad's burial i spent a total of 3 weeks...(the funeral lasted a whole 2 weeks!! haba! and the deceased family are required to be there at all times....! For my mom, i only spent 10 days in the East because i didn't have enough vacation and personal days left.
I would just love to visit and spend like 15 days not for funeral or wedding or naming ceremony, but just to hang out with my family and friends, drink tea from mai shayi, eat suya, eat mamput, eat correct home made bitterleaf soup, ukazi soup, beans and plantain, rice and stew, jellof rice, akara, moi moi, ijebu bread (and chew stone in the process smiley )......hmmmm! I'm seriously homesick oh! but by God's grace, Naija will feel my footprint come December! smiley
Travelling home can be fun but at the back of your mind you're also praying that armed robbers won't attack you, or you won't fall into the hands of trigger happy policement looking for "kola", or you won't have accident, or plane won't fall on your house while you're in it, or boko haram won't decide to visit your neighborhood or even that snake won't bite you, etc....
sorry for your lose.. anyway carefull with all this foods wey you mention say you want to it wen you go naija, i just come back from naija last easter all the akpu,ogiri,moimoi,akara,e.t.c wey i eat still dey purge my belle up till today grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by Fhemmmy: 7:36pm On Jun 14, 2012
omega25red: all the people who go for 3 months, dont you have a job you have to get back to? or are you actually allowed to take such a long vacation.

Some holiday are cumulative and some are business men.
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by Wallie(m): 8:18pm On Jun 14, 2012
No one seems to go for only one week or less except me? There's nothing like people only getting to hear that you came home but gone before they could stop by! grin I'm about to do my one week visit again. Hopefully, my schedule and appointments go according to plan but that will never happen because people seem to have a different concept of time over there. undecided
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by Fhemmmy: 8:37pm On Jun 14, 2012
Wallie: No one seems to go for only one week or less except me? There's nothing like people only getting to hear that you came home but gone before they could stop by! grin I'm about to do my one week visit again. Hopefully, my schedule and appointments go according to plan but that will never happen because people seem to have a different concept of time over there. undecided

Are you in UK?
Cos most people from UK could afford to do such , , , grin
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by tlops(m): 8:45pm On Jun 14, 2012
I stayed for three weeks and I got bored after two weeks. Thinking to reduce it.
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by Nightshift(m): 8:48pm On Jun 14, 2012
3 Weeks during Palm-wine season is a must every year. Those 3 weeks are always spent between Ugba/Abacha joints at New-Haven Enugu and shuttles to my village.Evenings are exclusively for pami.Tastes better than a plate of pizza with Italian wine.Dry season is coming soon for another home trip!
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by Wallie(m): 8:58pm On Jun 14, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Are you in UK?
Cos most people from UK could afford to do such , , , grin

Nope, US.
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by Fhemmmy: 9:00pm On Jun 14, 2012
Wallie:

Nope, US.

OK, was asking cos some people from UK even go Nija for a party over the weekend and come back to UK for work on Monday in UK
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by tobiloba82: 10:58pm On Jun 14, 2012
I HOPE THIS DANA AIR CRASH WONT SCARE A LOT OF THE DIASPORIANS AWAY FROM HOME.
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by KayDee4: 12:42am On Jun 15, 2012
Considering the distance to be covered and long flights to get home, 2 or 3 weeks for me is simply not enough, I'll rather be home for a full month or longer. Just got back to base from a 3-week vacation in Naija and I'm already planning for another by the end of the year; I hope I can make it.
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by http(m): 12:45am On Jun 15, 2012
Going to Naija is a must for me since my immediate family are there, am seriously looking forward for my next vacation now, this place is boring for me now, i normally spend 4 weeks, but this time around ticket confirmed, 2 months and 5 days jara. I would have love to spend 3 months if am self employed..
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by r231(m): 1:21am On Jun 15, 2012
Fhemmmy:

OK, was asking cos some people from UK even go Nija for a party over the weekend and come back to UK for work on Monday in UK

grin grin grin grin grin grin

why you dey abuse me now haba grin grin
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by UNLEASHED(m): 2:11am On Jun 15, 2012
Haven't been there in 3 years, definitely going in few months to come...just for 3 weeks or probz till i squander all the money i take with me.
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by princeonx: 3:26am On Jun 15, 2012
I have visited like 6 times in 12yrs for both business and stress-asure lol! My first and longest visit was 2 months 2 weeks (10weeks)! And honestly I started crying to come back to the US after my first 5 weeks! I didn't really enjoy the visit cos my parent won't let me be! Pls don't go here! Pls don't go there! This People are bad! Those people are evil! Dont ever shake that man! Dont hug that lady! etc! And I didn't get to visit Jos which was where I spent my last 10yrs before I left naija due to some stupid crisis. My shortest was 3 weeks in Nov. 2010 when I went for my dad's funeral! (miss my oko-man). I couldnt stay long cux wify just had our first child/son who was still less than 2 months when grandpa passed! Going again this Xmas for a month!
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by gtrust: 6:47am On Jun 15, 2012
omega25red: all the people who go for 3 months, dont you have a job you have to get back to? or are you actually allowed to take such a long vacation.

I know a few people with very good jobs.
They work and save some real money, buy alot of goods in 40 feet containers.
from China and factory outlets in US.
Take unpaid leave for 3 months and come back smiling!
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by gtrust: 6:54am On Jun 15, 2012
tlops: I stayed for three weeks and I got bored after two weeks. Thinking to reduce it.
Don't share out ALL your 'goodies', tell them your bag is coming later.
Share fews days to when you're leaving, that way you will retain some patronage
Visit other towns/cities (avoid some airlines)
Generally try and blend.

I usually don't like leaving nijja no matter how long my vacation.

Think of building yourself a beautiful house with great gardens (size depends on your pocket)
Buy one bus and park all the essentials you will need in nijja.
That way, it turns out cheaper holiday than Carribean!

Real fun in YOUR OWN house with your own people in your own village

1 Like

Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by luckyme9(f): 7:09am On Jun 15, 2012
When it's just me and my husband, 3-4 weeks. When I take the whole family, 6 weeks no more no less. Reason being that the air fare, is sooooooooo much for my family of seven. Plus the first week or two is sweating and adaptation for us, late second week into the third week is when we finally have blended in and settled. Especially with the kids, I intentionally give them time to bond with the culture and stuff. I remember my girls going to the next street to buy soda "minerals" and eva water,carrying them on their heads. They always have fun "so far"
About the time, thank God my husband and I work in the hospital, where we get to take time off, sometimes with or without pay, depending on how much PTO we have. We save all year round to visit home. Thank God we both believe in home sweet home NO PLACE LIKE HOME.
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by moonraker(m): 7:32am On Jun 15, 2012
Interesting Thread!!!!

Havent been home since 2010..

planning on going for the summer

for 2weeks. Longest has been one

month when i was still student but

erm i do not have that kind of luxury

anymore. Plus the tickets are just

ridiculously high.. imagine BA charging $3500 for 2wks

even emirates and qatar that use to be my two best friends

are messing up....

Someone mentioned the fact that his or her parents were being over protective.

eg dont go there etc, well i can relate to that... it can be really annoying..
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by crackhouse(m): 7:48am On Jun 15, 2012
Billyonaire: So people still live abroad ? That's absurd.
my brother ask them o. They prefer to be washing plates & cooking pots outside naija for peanuts whereas people that looks after my dogs here earn good money.
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by Redman44(m): 9:06am On Jun 15, 2012
@Crackhouse, you're a big fool sad sad sad sad. Do you think every Nigerian abroad washes plates and pots for a living? And what if they do menial jobs in Europe and America? What is your Problem with that? Don't derail this thread with your narrow and bitter thinking, bruv. Some of these Nigerians or other Africans washing Plates for a living are doing it for reasons best known to them. Some are saving up their cash to go to school in the evening or receiving training that will help them get better jobs. Are they not even earning their money with peace of mind? How many Nigerians back home can boast of doing better than them? Please try and think deeply when you're posting on threads on Nairaland. You're a vile person with your comment. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by justwise(m): 9:13am On Jun 15, 2012
crackhouse: my brother ask them o. They prefer to be washing plates & cooking pots outside naija for peanuts whereas people that looks after my dogs here earn good money.

Narrow mindedness.
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by stepo707: 10:01am On Jun 15, 2012
Hmm.Enjoying the comments here.
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by moonraker(m): 10:17am On Jun 15, 2012
crackhouse: my brother ask them o. They prefer to be washing plates & cooking pots outside naija for peanuts whereas people that looks after my dogs here earn good money.

Wow so we still have people like this on planet earth??
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by BUSHMAN1: 10:43am On Jun 15, 2012
Fhemmmy:

really? hows that possible? weekend in naija.. might have to try that
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by Redman44(m): 10:57am On Jun 15, 2012
Holidaying in Nigeria is something I will embark on early next year or in December 2012. I've not been to Nigeria since December 2007 and I really look forward to coming home to do a lot of things. There are some people I want to go and see because they made an impact upon my life. They took care of me at different stages of my life and I want to reward them in my own little way. I also need to collect my certificate from the University I finished from in Nigeria. I could not collect my Certificate ( BA Degree in History ) before jetting out of Nigeria for an adventure that is proving fruitful in Europe. I also want to spend some time in Ogun State, Ondo State and Oyo State. I want to visit tourist attractions like the Olumo Rock, Ikogosi Waterfalls, UI Zoo etc. So I guess I will spend up to 4-6 weeks in Nigeria. I won't be spending much time with my family in Nigeria before embarking on my trips across Nigeria. Let me stop here. I need to go back to work in order to save up for this planned trip. Hmn.
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by RoberEdward: 12:19pm On Jun 15, 2012
Vacation on Nigeria wao I can spend 1 month with my family.. smiley
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by crackhouse(m): 12:45pm On Jun 15, 2012
Conversation between John & Temitope who lives in U.S.A. John is rich and have a good job while Temitope doubles as a house help and a nanny. JOHN:- Temitope, i will travel to naija next week to see my parents. TEMITOPE:- haba john, i thought u travelled sometime last 2months. JOHN:- yeah but u know, i just want to see my mum & siblings and to stay with them for a while, u know. TEMITOPE:- it's o.k & when will u be back?. JOHN:- ehmm, i will stay just 2 weeks. TEMITOPE:- o.k, greet my mum for me when u get there. JOHN:- o.k i will do that but Temi wait o, is it not up to 4yrs u stopped visiting Africa?, Whats wrong?. TEMITOPE:- i felt there's no need visiting since i always speak with my mum & siblings on phone and besides i heard there's a lot of kidnappings & robbery in naija these days, i am afraid i may fall into their hands if i travel. JOHN:- but i have been travelling for a long time now and i have not heard or seen where sb was kidnapped, why will that thought of yours stop u from travelling to go & see ur parents for 4yrs now?. TEMITOPE:- ehmm, john u may not understand but i really know what i am talking abt. infact, to be frank with u i don't have money for air ticket. Do u know how much it will cost me to travel to Nigeria? That's roughly $5000k excluding the money for village expenses, where will i get that kinda money?. JOHN:- i feel ur pain, it shall be well o.k. TEMITOPE:- thanks john. I will wait till when i have saved enough money. JOHN:- bye. TEMITOPE:- bye, see u when u come back. Now pals, this is the real reason why many of our naija guys are stucked over there but they will tell u their reason is b/cos naija is bad as if there is no crime where they are. Whereas they are damn broke and they ain't gat no money.
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by livapul86(m): 1:28pm On Jun 15, 2012
crackhouse: Conversation between John & Temitope who lives in U.S.A. John is rich and have a good job while Temitope doubles as a house help and a nanny. JOHN:- Temitope, i will travel to naija next week to see my parents. TEMITOPE:- haba john, i thought u travelled sometime last 2months. JOHN:- yeah but u know, i just want to see my mum & siblings and to stay with them for a while, u know. TEMITOPE:- it's o.k & when will u be back?. JOHN:- ehmm, i will stay just 2 weeks. TEMITOPE:- o.k, greet my mum for me when u get there. JOHN:- o.k i will do that but Temi wait o, is it not up to 4yrs u stopped visiting Africa?, Whats wrong?. TEMITOPE:- i felt there's no need visiting since i always speak with my mum & siblings on phone and besides i heard there's a lot of kidnappings & robbery in naija these days, i am afraid i may fall into their hands if i travel. JOHN:- but i have been travelling for a long time now and i have not heard or seen where sb was kidnapped, why will that thought of yours stop u from travelling to go & see ur parents for 4yrs now?. TEMITOPE:- ehmm, john u may not understand but i really know what i am talking abt. infact, to be frank with u i don't have money for air ticket. Do u know how much it will cost me to travel to Nigeria? That's roughly $5000k excluding the money for village expenses, where will i get that kinda money?. JOHN:- i feel ur pain, it shall be well o.k. TEMITOPE:- thanks john. I will wait till when i have saved enough money. JOHN:- bye. TEMITOPE:- bye, see u when u come back. Now pals, this is the real reason why many of our naija guys are stucked over there but they will tell u their reason is b/cos naija is bad as if there is no crime where they are. Whereas they are damn broke and they ain't gat no money.
Oga from your post, you're trying to paint the hustle in Naija as overflowing with success. I am in the same Naija with you, and each day comes with its own choking problems for me. I won't mind understudying you to share success stories too.
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by Fhemmmy: 1:36pm On Jun 15, 2012
r231:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

why you dey abuse me now haba grin grin

I fit abuse Chief?
I Chop winch?
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by Fhemmmy: 1:38pm On Jun 15, 2012
BUSH MAN: really? hows that possible? weekend in naija.. might have to try that

Flight from UK to Nigeria is how many hours?
So they could leave Friday noon, and get to Nigeria and start the party Friday night, then, once the party is done on Saturday, they could leave Sunday noon and be in UK same night and get ready for work on Monday . . tongue
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by Fhemmmy: 1:39pm On Jun 15, 2012

Lol . . . Why assuming that all Nigerians abroad washes plates?
Re: How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 15, 2012
Wallie[b:
]No one seems to go for only one week or less except me? There's nothing like people only getting to hear that you came home but gone before they could stop by! grin [/b]I'm about to do my one week visit again. Hopefully, my schedule and appointments go according to plan but that will never happen because people seem to have a different concept of time over there. undecided

LOL.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Signs That Your Visa Application Will Be Denied / Can I Get Europe VISA With 200K / Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.