Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,821 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa (13900 Views)

522 West Africans Repatriated From Gabon Over Illegal Travel Papers / 10 Things Nigerians Are Doing Better Than Other Africans / How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 5:43pm On Feb 15, 2010
Europeans spend their time traveling their continent which keeps the currency within their region, creates different culturela awareness, helps create a tourist industry and promotes jobs,

The Americans are the same way and would tavel more within the US that say taking a trip to South Africa.

Why don't we a Africans promote tourism more within our borders and keep the currency within these borders.

I mean theres lots of tourist destinations within the continent

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=7510&edition=2&ttl=20100215163807

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Fhemmmy: 5:57pm On Feb 15, 2010
Cos an average african dont feel fufilled till they step their foot on the soil of Western world, and so amazing that some would even get there and run away and become a refugee in another land while they live all behind

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 6:13pm On Feb 15, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Cos an average african dont feel fufilled till they step their foot on the soil of Western world, and so amazing that some would even get there and run away and become a refugee in another land while they live all behind

lets put this in context. The average African who can afford a holiday is a working class to middle class individual who earns an income and could be less tempted to run away from what is giving him his daily bread.

The issue is the lack of information for exotic destinations to go to within Africa itself and a misconception of Africans that all part of the continent are not travel worthy.

13 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Fhemmmy: 6:42pm On Feb 15, 2010
morpheus24:

lets put this in context. The average African who can afford a holiday is a working class to middle class individual who earns an income and could be less tempted to run away from what is giving him his daily bread.

The issue is the lack of information for exotic destinations to go to within Africa itself and a misconception of Africans that all part of the continent are not travel worthy.

I wish that was true.
There are so many medical doctors in USA and Canada that are driving cabs.

There could be problem of misinformation, however, even the govt has not spent anything on tourism in how many years.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by joxiri: 7:31pm On Feb 15, 2010
I personally think your post is not entirely true
Most europeans travel far and wide, uk students go everywhere for their gap year from south america to the middle east
theres europeans even in somalia coming under kidnapping
its true that most americans remain withiin the us
But europeans like to explore well those that can afford it, provided europeans can afford it, they will most likely travel outside the european continent

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Pittbaby(f): 7:37pm On Feb 15, 2010
I personally think your post is not entirely true
Most europeans travel far and wide, uk students go everywhere for their gap year from south america to the middle east
theres europeans even in somalia coming under kidnapping
its true that most americans remain withiin the us
But europeans like to explore well those that can afford it, provided europeans can afford it, they will most likely travel outside the european continent

A great percentage of americans have never been out of there home state and dont have an international passport .

11 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by kadman(m): 7:41pm On Feb 15, 2010
morpheus24:

Europeans spend their time traveling their continent which keeps the currency within their region, creates different culturela awareness, helps create a tourist industry and promotes jobs,

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=7510&edition=2&ttl=20100215163807

How did you draw the above conclusion up ? I'm at a Uni in UK. .  And all my exposed European and British friends have travelled to Africa / Middle East, they wouldn't even take anyone who hasn't been to North,Cental and South America seriously. This coming summer they are all hecking us that they want to visit Nigeria, I've told my friends that my hand no dey that one o

7 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by joxiri: 8:36pm On Feb 15, 2010
very true kadman
and poster you need to consider the fact that africans also require visas to go to other african countries
whereas there is free movement in europe for europeans

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by justwise(m): 8:39pm On Feb 15, 2010
morpheus24:

The Americans are the same way and would tavel more within the US that say taking a trip to South Africa.
Why don't we a Africans promote tourism more within our borders and keep the currency within these borders.
I mean theres lots of tourist destinations within the continent

I totally disagree with u, its cheaper to take holiday outside UK then doing it here. So alo of pple here do their holidaying outside the UK
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 9:07pm On Feb 15, 2010
you guys don't seem to be getting the big picture here.

I am not saying that Europeans do not venture outside of their continent. What I am implying is that Africans in general do not take full advantage of the tourism within Africa before venturing out

Example: How many of you have been to Ethiopia, Morroco, Gambia, Senegal, Goree island, Cape verde, Mozambic, Zanzibar, Sechelles, Madagascar, Desert festival in Mali, Calabar Festival, Yankari game reserve and so on?

7 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by joxiri: 9:16pm On Feb 15, 2010
have you also considered that africans arent wealthy enough to take these holidays
Most africans that go to europe are going to see relatives and dont pay for hotels

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 9:35pm On Feb 15, 2010
joxiri:

have you also considered that africans arent wealthy enough to take these holidays Most africans that go to europe are going to see relatives and dont pay for hotels

I don't get your point. The Africans(residing in Africa) who travel to europe are wealthy enough to buy Airline tickets to europe and come back with heafty bags of goodies, new gadgets and so on but somehow can't afford hotel accomodation in "African" hotels which are relatively cheaper than the alternatives in Europe.

If the above is an excuse , What about the Africans who are residing in european countries(making the euro) how come they don't take holidays with African destinations in mind aka the places I have mentioned above and their european counter parts are?

8 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Nobody: 9:40pm On Feb 15, 2010
because they ran away from poverty and dont want to run back to it

or be reminded of it

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by joxiri: 9:42pm On Feb 15, 2010
the same africans that shop for the cheapest airlines travelling with all sorts of airlines that take forever to get to their desitnation
   these africans reading in europe how many of them go on holidays and its a very little percaentage of most africans
  free accomodation in europe is still cheaper than african hotels
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 9:44pm On Feb 15, 2010
tpia.:

because they ran away from poverty and dont want to run back to it

or be reminded of it

how can travelling to the seychelles remind you of poverty?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by joxiri: 9:46pm On Feb 15, 2010
its probably cheaper to travel to europe than the seychelles for nigerians

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 9:56pm On Feb 15, 2010
joxiri:

the same africans that shop for the cheapest airlines travelling with all sorts of airlines that take forever to get to their desitnation
   these africans reading in europe how many of them go on holidays and its a very little percaentage of most africans
 free accomodation in europe is still cheaper than african hotels
Average hotel accomodation for a weeks holiday in europe (50 euro *7 days=350 euro)
Naira equivalent=200 * 350= 70,000 naira

Averate price of a blackberry phone in euro 200-300 Euro.

DON"T GIVE ME THAT PLEASE!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 9:59pm On Feb 15, 2010
joxiri:

its probably cheaper to travel to europe than the seychelles for nigerians

Don't think so

The real reason is Africans see european destinations as desirable because they are programmed to believe these are the best destinations to go to.

I mean I am not saying one should spend every waking moment in Africa but put it on the table as a possibel destination.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Nobody: 10:18pm On Feb 15, 2010
@post
i guess, going to Mali for a Nigerian might not be that appealing and the person would prefer to save his money to go to a "funkier" place like europe, US etc.

also i dont think there is much to see in places like Cameroon, Togo, Benin, Niger etc while if someone is living in France for example, you would have many fantastic touristic places within a short distance to discover like UK,Italy, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Spain etc all within a train ride distance and CHEAP as hell due to all these low cost airlines.
where can anyone get a flight from Lagos to Douala for 79€ or less? is there even a functioning rail system in 9ja?

Europe, US just cant be compared to Africa and thats just the sad fact about it all.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 10:35pm On Feb 15, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

@post
i guess, going to Mali for a Nigerian might not be that appealing and the person would prefer to save his money to go to a "funkier" place like europe, US etc.

also i dont think there is much to see in places like Cameroon, Togo, Benin, Niger etc while if someone is living in France for example, you would have many fantastic touristic places within a short distance to discover like UK,Italy, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Spain etc all within a train ride distance and CHEAP as hell due to all these low cost airlines.
where can anyone get a flight from Lagos to Douala for 79€ or less? is there even a functioning rail system in 9ja?

Europe, US just cant be compared to Africa and thats just the sad fact about it all.

What about the places i mentioned earlier which are hot tourist destination spots in African and have a lot to offer. ie. Senegal, Gambia, Angola,Seychelles,madagascar, Ethiopia, South Africa, Zanzibar, Morroco, Cape verde. All these places are in Africa.

Is it because of the perceptions of this places by Africans.

I have been to a few of the above places and some of them blew me away. i never believed Africa had so much to offer and indeed was very ignorant of the fact. Which I think is the problem here

6 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Nobody: 11:19pm On Feb 15, 2010
morpheus24:

What about the places i mentioned earlier which are hot tourist destination spots in African and have a lot to offer. ie. Senegal, Gambia, Angola,Seychelles,madagascar, Ethiopia, South Africa, Zanzibar, Morroco, Cape verde. All these places are in Africa.

Is it because of  the perceptions of this places by Africans.

I have been to a few of the above places and some of them blew me away. i never believed Africa had so much to offer and indeed was very ignorant of the fact. Which I think is the problem here

its the same for these places. the only great place out of the list you gave is the Seychelles but its such a tourist spot that is DAMN expensive, maybe Madagascar and south africa(for its national parks/safaris) and Senegal for the island of Gorée!
Gambia?! please!!!!!! lol

but in all, the attraction isnt there. also, telling your friend you went to Europe instead of "Zanzibar" will have a bigger appeal, almost like saying that visiting African countries has no value.

but hey, believe me if i tell you that going to Belgium/Germany and even UK for french people has not much value either compare to going overseas like Asia/Africa/US etc.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by AjanleKoko: 7:40am On Feb 16, 2010
Are you aware that going to London is cheaper than going to Seychelles or Botswana?
Besides, we live in a safari environment anyway. What with all the mosquitos I chase around every evening, why on earth would I want to go to a game reserve? grin

On a serious note, the concept of vacation for the African is mostly shopping, not hiking or other outdoor activities. Just visit any of the tourist destinations in Europe, and you'll be able to count how many Africans you see taking in the sights, as opposed to the shopping districts.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by malaika(f): 9:05am On Feb 16, 2010
::

8 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by suxes2005(m): 10:49am On Feb 16, 2010
I fink d problem is dat we aint got more attraction
centres here and mroeover no one will go to obudu cattle
ranch and decide not to come home again,

We all wants to visit europe and see wat up dia

SHALOM
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 2:34pm On Feb 16, 2010
malaika:

Nice post Morpheus cool I'm passionate about travel within Africa, there's so much to see and learn and rich culture all over Africa. I also like the fact that I can blend in and not stand out wink

Money and perceptions are an issue, but I get your point about Africans being willing to spend money going to Europe/US. I noticed that flights are quite expensive within the continent, even more than travelling to Europe sometimes. I went on holiday to Morocco some time ago and had to fly via Spain first because direct flight from SA to Morocco with SAA was ridiculously priced. Also been to Ghana, and I drive to Victoria Falls anytime I please plus I live in a tourist destination country and take full advantage of that, the best safari lodges and beaches (ok I'm biased here grin) are at my doorstep. I know some SA-hater on NL will soon tell me about our crime and how many SAns can afford such holidays but I'm talking about myself and I'm not rich just a normal working person who has to budget for a holiday.

My dream African holiday - 4x4 drive through West Africa, starting Cameroon - Nigeria - Benin - Togo - Ghana - B.Faso - Mali (Timbuktu, Djenne all that history) ending in Senegal (Goree Island etc) now that would be great and it will happen!! Africa Rocks!! grin

I understand where you are coming from as far as holiday destinations within SA. I was in your country for a short period on research and was blown away by the scenary and what it had to offer as far as tourism is concerned. i have been to several other places including Ethiopia and was also blown away comparing what you see on T.v versus when you actually arrive there.

I think the major issue with Africans is the perception of going to this other places and many have a blanket view of Africa. No one should blame europeans or others for not coming to visit their country when there is no work being done to develop and promote areas that would be good tourist destinations.

The governor of Cross river state in Nigeria has tried tremendously in creating a tourist city in his home state and gradually the message is beginning to go out even with Nigerians who reside overseas.

I met a black Saffa lady who had visited the area with the usual stereo type perception of Nigeria but now that lady literally can't stop talking about how much fun she had on her visit there last xmas, jsut goes to show you.

6 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 2:37pm On Feb 16, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Are you aware that going to London is cheaper than going to Seychelles or Botswana?
Besides, we live in a safari environment anyway. What with all the mosquitos I chase around every evening, why on earth would I want to go to a game reserve? grin

On a serious note, the concept of vacation for the African is mostly shopping, not hiking or other outdoor activities. Just visit any of the tourist destinations in Europe, and you'll be able to count how many Africans you see taking in the sights, as opposed to the shopping districts.

You obviously haven't been to many Safaris

As far as shopping is concerned. thats the major problem. How can a holiday be necessarily about shopping. I am guessing thats what relaxes the average African. The ability to buy goodies and return back home.

don't you think the issue is with perception and don't you think this should change.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by londoner: 2:44pm On Feb 16, 2010
OP, the same reason why they wont "buy African" in general. They feel anything outside is automatically better. Going abroad outside Africa for a holiday is seen as a status symbol and they see western countries and western people in that light. I do think its a West African thing though. If you speak to other Africans they tend to travel a bit more in their region.

Africans/Nigerians tend to travel for status/business or family. People of other cultures travel for pleasure/ exposure and personal education/growth.

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by AjanleKoko: 5:02pm On Feb 16, 2010
morpheus24:

You obviously haven't been to many Safaris

As far as shopping is concerned. thats the major problem. How can a holiday be necessarily about shopping. I am guessing thats what relaxes the average African. The ability to buy goodies and return back home.

don't you think the issue is with perception and don't you think this should change.

Au contraire, I have been to a couple. If you count the Desert Safari in Dubai sha cool

I agree with you, it's all about perception.
You obviously live in the West, so you buy into the Western perception of a holiday, which is understandable. You wanna get away from the concrete jungle. But me I live in the real jungle. A drive from Lagos to Ibadan is for me all the safari I can handle cheesy

I think I like the idea of a drive across Africa though. But the governments have got to do something about their frigging border guards. I went to Benin Republic sometime last year, for a work related project, and it took us four hours to get across. We needed to get special permits for the car, bla bla bla. Enuf extortion. Other than that it was pretty okay.

Thinking of a road trip to Ghana sometime this year, but I would have to get myself another passport for that purpose though. My blood runs cold at the thought of a half-literate gendarme consficating my passport.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by AjanleKoko: 5:07pm On Feb 16, 2010
londoner:

OP, the same reason why they wont "buy African" in general. They feel anything outside is automatically better. Going abroad outside Africa for a holiday is seen as a status symbol and they see western countries and western people in that light. I do think its a West African thing though. If you speak to other Africans they tend to travel a bit more in their region.

Africans/Nigerians tend to travel for status/business or family. People of other cultures travel for pleasure/ exposure and personal education/growth.

Dude, everything outside sub-saharan Africa is usually better. As much as I would like to think otherwise. We all hope for that day, but for now . . . aint that the same reason why most of you guys live outside Naija?
I think East Africans do a lot more travel within their region. They share common trade, language and affinity. Like Kenya-Uganda-Tanzania are more or less the same people, speaking Swahili. Same with the peoples of Congo DR, Zambia, Malawi, and Zim.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 5:35pm On Feb 16, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Dude, everything outside sub-saharan Africa is usually better. As much as I would like to think otherwise. We all hope for that day, but for now . . . aint that the same reason why most of you guys live outside Naija?
I think East Africans do a lot more travel within their region. They share common trade, language and affinity. Like Kenya-Uganda-Tanzania are more or less the same people, speaking Swahili. Same with the peoples of Congo DR, Zambia, Malawi, and Zim.

I don't get your point quite clear. I agree West Africa has less tourist destinations than most of Africa in general but why aren't you traveling to East Africa or Southern Africa or the islands that surrond the areas for recreation. ( the language and cultural differencies there are as contrast as if you took a trip to malaysia)

I agree that shopping is obviously better in the European/American socieites due to price/vaue advantages but the underlying issue here I beleive is ignorance and lack of exposure of some of these interesting areas.

In Nigeria you are programmed with T.V shows and travel channels on the best places to visit in europe and America yet I doubt anyone can boast of any channel that presents tourist destinations in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by AjanleKoko: 8:19pm On Feb 16, 2010
morpheus24:

I don't get your point quite clear. I agree West Africa has less tourist destinations than most of Africa in general but why aren't you traveling to East Africa or Southern Africa or the islands that surrond the areas for recreation. ( the language and cultural differencies there are as contrast as if you took a trip to malaysia)

I agree that shopping is obviously better in the European/American socieites due to price/vaue advantages but the underlying issue here I beleive is ignorance and lack of exposure of some of these interesting areas.

In Nigeria you are programmed with T.V shows and travel channels on the best places to visit in europe and America yet I doubt anyone can boast of any channel that presents tourist destinations in Africa.

Studio 53 on MNet features African tourist destinations. Most of the people in Africa who can afford travel watch Mnet anyway.
So I don't think it is lack of information. In fact, work wise, people in Nigeria get to travel around Africa a lot these days, especially if you work in multinationals like Ecobank, Unilver, Zain, MTN, etc. I don't think it's about ignorance.

Frankly speaking, if you don't live and work in Africa, it will be very difficult for you to make a balanced assessment. What you would value in the West is very different from what we would value in Africa. Most of us enjoy the concrete jungles in Europe and the Americas. Apart from SA, there is little or no opportunity to enjoy a relatively sane environment. Forget all that hype about Ghana. It looks just like Nigeria, and I don't want to see another Naija when I am on vacation.

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 8:54pm On Feb 16, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Studio 53 on MNet features African tourist destinations. Most of the people in Africa who can afford travel watch Mnet anyway.
Thats about the only program I know that does that and it caters more to SA travellers. Its impact is seen in the growing desire for most southern Africans to venture out to places like the seychelles, zanzibar and madagascar. The promotion of these places should come from travel operators inside Nigeria. Ghana is the only spot now awadys that most operators encourage Nigerians to travel to,

AjanleKoko:

Frankly speaking, if you don't live and work in Africa, it will be very difficult for you to make a balanced assessment. What you would value in the West is very different from what we would value in Africa. Most of us enjoy the concrete jungles in Europe and the Americas. Apart from SA, there is little or no opportunity to enjoy a relatively sane environment.

Now the bolded part is very untrue. I spent some time in Ethiopia not too long ago and the place was very relaxing, it afforded me also with the opportunity to experience a very differnt African culture and one that i will be enriched for.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Need Botswana Visa / Residents Stranded As Fuel Scarcity Bites Harder In Abuja / Shonekan's Burial: Lagos Announces Closure Of Roads In Marina Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.