Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,739 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos (16897 Views)

Patience And Goodluck Jonathan After Church Service In Bayelsa (pic) / Pipeline Vandals Kill 10 DSS Operatives In Ogun / Military Barracks Bombed In Kwami LGA In Gombe State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by koruji(m): 7:51pm On Mar 11, 2012
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/11/us-nigeria-violence-idUSBRE82A05A20120311

By Buhari Bello

JOS, Nigeria | Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:35pm EDT

(Reuters) - Christian youths killed at least 10 people in reprisal attacks after a suspected suicide bomber hit a Catholic church in the central Nigerian city of Jos on Sunday, killing three people, authorities said.

"The situation is bad," Sati Dakwat, health commissioner for Jos, told Reuters. "Several were killed in the reprisal attacks, more than 10."

A Reuters reporter at the scene of the church bombing was unable to gain access, as the police had cordoned off the area around Finber's Catholic Church in the Rayfield suburb of Jos.

"We haven't got actual figures of injured yet, but at least three people have been confirmed dead by our men attending the scene of the blast," the Jos coordinator for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) Al Hassan Aliyu said.

But he later added that "the situation is calm now", after the initial reprisals by Christian youths.

Earlier NEMA called it a suspected suicide bombing, but Aliyu said this was not yet confirmed.

Islamist sect Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for a wave of bomb attacks on churches across Nigeria since Christmas Day. The bombing campaign has raised fears that the group is trying to ignite sectarian conflict in Africa's most populous country, split roughly evenly between Christians and Muslims.

In the past decade Jos has become the main flashpoint for tensions between Nigeria's Christian and Muslim communities. Bombers have targeted its churches many times since Christmas.

A Reuters witness watched angry Christians set up road blocks near the church. In the past, such a move has preceded retaliatory violence against Muslims.

President Goodluck Jonathan, whose term has almost come to be dominated by the insurgency in the north, condemned the bombings, a statement from his office said.

"Despite seeming appearances to the contrary, government is indeed winning the war against the terrorists and will continue to progressively destroy their ability to unleash murderous attacks on peaceful, law-abiding Nigerians," it said.

"Their hideouts and modus operandi are also being consistently exposed."

Boko Haram, whose name means "Western education is forbidden", wants sharia law more widely applied across Nigeria.

The sect has been waging an insurgency against Nigeria's government since 2009, and has been blamed for hundreds of killings in gun and bomb attacks.

SECT STIRS TURBULENCE

Styled on the Taliban, Boko Haram's methods have become more sophisticated in the past six months, and it has widened its targets beyond the police and other authority figures to include Christian worshippers.

On February 26 a suicide bomber drove a car packed with explosives into a church in Jos, killing two people and wounding 38. Christian youths beat two Muslims to death in revenge.

Other cities also have been affected.

A bomb at a Catholic Church in Madala, just outside the capital Abuja, killed 37 people and wounded 57 on Christmas Day. Another blast struck a church in Jos.

Boko Haram claimed responsibility for previous attacks on churches, citing violence against Muslims by Christians in Jos as justification.

Despite its Islamist ideology, it is Muslims in the north of Nigeria who mostly bear the brunt of the sect's violence.

Police killed a suspected Boko Haram fighter and arrested 11 others in the sect's northeastern heartland of Maiduguri on Saturday, Borno state police spokesman Samuel Tizhe said.

He said they had tried to attack a mobile police base, but were repelled. He said one of the gunmen was killed, 11 were arrested and arms and explosive devices were seized from them.

Earlier on Saturday, suspected Boko Haram gunmen attacked and burned down a police station in Bulabilin Ngaura village, in the northeast, killing one policeman.

Suspected sect members shot dead a traditional ruler in the northeastern Gombe state, as he left a mosque after Friday prayers two days ago.

On Thursday, a Briton and an Italian held hostage in Nigeria were killed by their captors after being held for almost a year by what security officials said was a Boko Haram faction, although a spokesman for the sect denied any involvement.

Boko Haram used to be confined to Nigeria's northeastern state of Borno. But the sect, or factions of it, have expanded in the past six months to operate in at least 10 states across the north, and have struck the capital.

(Additional reporting by Shuabu Mohammed in Jos and Ibrahim Mshelizza in Maiduguri; Writing and additional reporting by Tim Cocks; editing by Michael Roddy)

1 Like

Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by Nebeuwa(m): 8:14pm On Mar 11, 2012
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by freegaza(m): 9:06pm On Mar 11, 2012
An eye for an eye and the world wil know eyez are not for play.up boko haram,up christian youthz
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by olaak1(m): 9:10pm On Mar 11, 2012
I trust my J town people (Christians) we no dey carry last let those aboki continue in their senseless act; the more they try, the more their brethren life go 4 it; Boko Haram my foot!!!
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by emmke(m): 9:13pm On Mar 11, 2012
u bomb jos, u put the lives of innocent muslims in jeopardy. I always knew there'd be a reprisal. Boko boys aint doing no one a favour, cos To every action, there's an equal and opposite REACTION.
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by hakanai(m): 9:41pm On Mar 11, 2012
Obviously frm some animals reply here you can see people celebrating killing.So shamefull.hope they would celebrate same if the Jos muslim community begin to react too!

2 Likes

Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by Sike(m): 9:52pm On Mar 11, 2012
*sighs*
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by Nobody: 9:55pm On Mar 11, 2012
haka_nai: Obviously frm some animals reply here you can see people celebrating killing.So shamefull.hope they would celebrate same if the Jos muslim community begin to react too!
^^^^ i dont agree. I think people are fed up with one sided barbaric killings. When eminent nigerians like cbn gov sanusi lamido, justify boko haram menace to 13% oil derivation, is that not anarchy.

2 Likes

Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by buzor(m): 10:00pm On Mar 11, 2012
Haka nai, i suspect u must be a member of bh. U were threatenin if ur senseless muslim brothers react.
Me, i think they should react, so that they can be finally wiped out from d city of jos once for all...
My 2cent
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by prodam(m): 10:02pm On Mar 11, 2012
this is weird...
heading to something predicted few months back by me and other activists.
Nigeria my country
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by Skanas(m): 10:04pm On Mar 11, 2012
Jay town,this was not how I left u aarrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by solomto(f): 10:06pm On Mar 11, 2012
Na wao!
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by babaowo: 10:09pm On Mar 11, 2012
@ kuruji....for u to see true an "eye for an eye" wait till they attack south west.
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by Mcdondayan: 10:15pm On Mar 11, 2012
If other states can emulate jos, then very soon the muslims elites will beg dre bh brodas to stop d menace.if they kill 1, we kill 5.
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by Modula(m): 10:20pm On Mar 11, 2012
40 vs 68
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by Mcdondayan: 10:20pm On Mar 11, 2012
A gospel according 2 pastor Ayo.We have 2 defend ourselves. The Israelites did that nd re still doing dat till date. Its nt wrong 4 us 2 defend ourselves
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by dadicvila(m): 10:21pm On Mar 11, 2012
haka_nai: Obviously frm some animals reply here you can see people celebrating killing.So shamefull.hope they would celebrate same if the Jos muslim community begin to react too!
you think say na only una sabi kill abi?just tell ur people to bring it to the south south,we ijaw youths are waiting
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by SamMilla1(m): 10:21pm On Mar 11, 2012
Good. Atleast the Christian youths heard my advice. Turning the other cheek to be slapped has been scraped from our mental book. Infact my next advice will be to even start the attacks and not to wait until they attack. Fckng fanatics.
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by Knorkastur: 10:22pm On Mar 11, 2012
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 11, 2012
Mcdondayan: If other states can emulate jos, then very soon the muslims elites will beg dre bh brodas to stop d menace.if they kill 1, we kill 5.

Stop tripping over this shiit by giving credibility to boko harams.those idiots have killed more muslims than christains in the north,so whats the fuzz all about here ? Hu
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by presfedrep: 10:24pm On Mar 11, 2012
Christian youth kills 10 in reprisal attack in jos plateau state, i hope they are really christian youth? Again will someone comes out and says he killed someone?
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by umechuma: 10:28pm On Mar 11, 2012
Nice move from Jos Youths.For every 1 christian killed,10 Muslims should also be killed.
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by Mcdondayan: 10:34pm On Mar 11, 2012
@ bluetooth. Who cares if they kill muslims or not. If they are nt after christains y do they keep bombing churches? Since ur religion tells u 2 kill 4 ur god y re u crying that ur brodas re also killed?
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by chuks49(m): 10:44pm On Mar 11, 2012
BH represents only a fraction of what islam truly represents, with or without BH, islam still ramains a violent religion. From mohammed to uthman dan fodio, to queen amina, to osama bin laden, they all represents true worshippers of allah.
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by eherbal(m): 10:46pm On Mar 11, 2012
You can't go about cowardly snuffing out the lives of innocent citizens and thinking there won't be consequences. Collateral damage comes to play, hence the reprisals by the Christian youths,who may have unfortunately killed innocent Muslims.And. So the domino reaction is activated
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by Abagworo(m): 10:50pm On Mar 11, 2012
When I tell you guys that there can never be peace in Jos someone will come up with the idea that I do not wish them well. Even if Nigeria breaks up peace will still elude there because it has been covered in blood, It is a centre for cycle of violence. The only way there can be peace if if every other person vacates and let the Hausas and Beroms fight till the last of one of the ethnic groups is killed but I don't see that happening. So I never see any news of Christian/Muslim violence in Jos as a surprise. Thanks to Governor Jang for starting this endless cycle of violence.
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by teskyg: 10:57pm On Mar 11, 2012
Violence is taking the north backward.the senseless carnage must stop.
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by Akins02324(m): 11:00pm On Mar 11, 2012
I dnt think there can be any positive action taking by this present administration to curb this dissastrous act until one of their children fall a victim.
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by gregg2: 11:07pm On Mar 11, 2012
Evil religion whose god is so powerless that followers have to fight and kill for him.
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by nas00(m): 11:11pm On Mar 11, 2012
Hmm.. There can be no worse disaster..to think many innocent muslims will be mauled. The Christians have been pushed to the wall, and now they must turn back and attack their oppressors. It's a natural thing.

Enough of the sunday-sunday insult on the body of christ. It's the innocent lives that will be terminated I feel for.

BH has put ordinary citizens in deep sh*t.. God dey
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by livapul86(m): 11:14pm On Mar 11, 2012
@All: The story of a reprisal is nothing short of a massive lie by the Reuters reporter. I just watched Channels news at Ten and the state commissioner of health which the said reporter quoted, denied giving any sort of interview to the aforementioned journalist or anyother. If in doubt, check out www.channelstv. com for a transcript of the interview they had with the commissioner. Please, lets stop spreading a lie. There were NO REPRISALS.
Re: Reprisals Kill 10 After Church Bombed In Nigeria's Jos by newmaonza: 11:20pm On Mar 11, 2012
I really want to know Who is behind this beautiful script "BH" that is currently playing out in Nigeria..... I think the script has just played out only 10%..

What-ever Our Politicians are playing out, i will advise u all to keep ur cool & stop abusing ur-selves,Stop Swallowing Panadol on their headaches,

We r yet to see the full script & if U r in the Red Zone, Run while U still have ur life 2mmorrow might be too late..

As for GEJ, i am still watching how he is exercising his powers as President, he could be the ultimate pawn in this whole script

SHINE YOUR EYES shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Soldiers Block Boko Haram's Movement In, Out Of Sambisa Forest — Buratai / Ambode At The Launching Of Dangote Foundation In Lagos / "Yahaya Bello Is Little Hitler" - Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.