Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th (18246 Views)

How To Increase Your Internet Speed With TP Link Router / Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed / How To Run Internet Speed Test With Dos Command (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by london2lasgidi(m): 4:05pm On May 18, 2012
Bandit C.:
When you have close to 60 million individuals using limited broadband, it is bound to be slower compared to a place where 10 million individuals are using it. Simple logic.

Nigerians are known in Africa as some of the highest internet portal users. That means that more websites are accessed, more softwares are downloaded and more data are uploaded and since broadband is limited, you are bound to have slower internet speed in countries with large population of which a huge chunk of it make use of the internet often.

There is a good reason why Finland has the fastest broadband speed compared to Germany.

You people amaze me with how dull you are. A known ghanaian nationalist posts an article and you begin heaping insults on your home country. No one cares to apply his/ her sixth sense. Dullards

Don't mind these lousy folks.

1 Like

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Walala(m): 4:23pm On May 18, 2012
Akwasi:
According to latest statistics from Ookla’s NetIndex, Ghana has been ranked with the fastest broadband Internet speed in Africa.

Ookla is the global leader in broadband testing and web-based network diagnostic applications. Based on millions of recent test results from Speedtest.net, the NetIndex compares and ranks consumer download speeds around the globe.

From the results, Ghana currently has download speeds of up to 5.14 Mbps, ranking it 73rd in the world. The country is closely followed by Kenya with 4.94 Mbps, Angola with 4.53 Mbps, Rwanda with 3.28 Mbps and Zimbabwe with 2.98 Mbps in that particular order.

Other African countries with the fastest broadband speed include South Africa with 2.98 Mbps, ranked 6th in Africa and 105th in the world; Libya with 2.94 Mbps, ranked 7th in Africa; Morocco with 2.77 Mbps, ranked 8th; Nigeria with 2.30 Mbps, ranked 9th in Africa and 129th in the world; and Tunisia ranked 10th with 2.12 Mbps.

http://techloy.com/2012/03/12/africa-top-broadband-speed/

Most of you are a bunch of morons who have no common sense. Did you see the criteria that was used for the comparison? They used speed test .net tests and took the average so it is only right that a country like Nigeria where everyone wants to feel among and they go get internet but they get the cheapest kind and then they start to test their speeds because that's what everyone is doing so the low scores will bring down the other higher speed test scores. There is absolutely no way that Ghana has this speed and it is not tied to population or total number of internet users.

This is a silly report that does not include all the criterion used to derive such baseless results. Ghana will never grow like Nigeria and you can ask the USA who is more important in the world today. Nigeria GDP is $240Billion compared to Ghana's $37Billion. Even Lagos has a bigger economy than Ghana. *****Hissing*****

2 Likes

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by DisGuy: 4:26pm On May 18, 2012
So the question is why is 'the nigerian company' suppling more bandwith or whatever you call it, to ghana, even though the demand is here in nigeria
Nigerians are paying more,

BTW MainOne is not exactly most nigerian companies, How many other nigerian companies supply Ghana?

and how do we know ghana doesnt have investment in MainOne, these sort of companies that goes through
different countries have local companies chipping in money

What happened to all those satellites snapping pictures in the sky undecided
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Afam4eva(m): 4:32pm On May 18, 2012
Bandit C.:
When you have close to 60 million individuals using limited broadband, it is bound to be slower compared to a place where 10 million individuals are using it. Simple logic.

Nigerians are known in Africa as some of the highest internet portal users. That means that more websites are accessed, more softwares are downloaded and more data are uploaded and since broadband is limited, you are bound to have slower internet speed in countries with large population of which a huge chunk of it make use of the internet often.

There is a good reason why Finland has the fastest broadband speed compared to Germany.

You people amaze me with how dull you are. A known ghanaian nationalist posts an article and you begin heaping insults on your home country. No one cares to apply his/ her sixth sense. Dullards
So, why is Ghana's internet speed not faster than that of the US and India since we've reduced it to population. We have the resources, man power et al and pride ourselves as the giant of Africa yet we're lagging behind in almost everything including internet speed and you tell me that it's because many people are sharing a limited server. Why should they be sharing limited servers in he first place when we have the material resources to get more servers. That's a cheeky excuse if you ask me.
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Chanchit: 4:36pm On May 18, 2012
cyril83: Ghana is the truly Giant of Africa
Yes, they are the "TRULy" gaint of africa..
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Ysol(m): 4:50pm On May 18, 2012
How many people dey Ghana,comparing to Nigeria?

How many people dey Used Internet for Ghana Comparing to Nigeria?
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Nonybb: 4:53pm On May 18, 2012
This country called ghana(small letter intended) is really an inferiority complex set of ppl. Whenever they re higher in anythng compare to naija whether true or false they become so happy. For there info we dont even compare our self with any african country, wat we compare our selves with are japan china indonesia malaysia etc. So why being happy comparing with u ppl. Most nigeria to be honest dont even knw theres a country called ghana but whenever things or events happens in naija there media would report it like its there national story. Since ive lived in this country i ve neva seen a headline of our news letter on ghana. For some of us ghana is a bush place. Thats why most of there dirty bleached guys flog our country for movie set. A country whose populatn hv 90% dark ppl hv almost 95% of there tv screen goddess appearing fair in completion. Wat a typical inferior country!

1 Like

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by amosy007: 4:56pm On May 18, 2012
london2lasgidi: Why are we always comparing Nigeria with Ghana? Do you guys know the difference in population, and how difficult it is to cater for the huge population??

Tired of the Ghana comparisons, please compare Ghana with Lagos..

What's the internet speed in Lagos compared to Ghana?

What's the growth of the Ghanaian economy compared to Lagos??

If you compare America, or the UK to either Switzerland, or Luxembourg; you will find out that they're better than both the UK and America in every index...

Seriously, Nigerians need to grow up.
gbam... U nailed it.. Buh the comparison always start by ghanaians.. Check dis post again it was started by a ghanaian.. I wonder why dey cant just face deir country and leave naija with its problem
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by amosy007: 5:00pm On May 18, 2012
Bandit C.:

thank u so much.. Some nigerians are just to dumb.. They dnt knw when to criticize their country or not.. Even d mor0n that started dis topic did it on purpose (probably to mock nigeria) buh sum stupid people just fly around saying anytin that comes to deir empty skull
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by mikron(m): 5:08pm On May 18, 2012
xanadu333: and we pay the highest for subscription. u see what GEJ has brought to us >:
is this GEJ's fault too?

1 Like

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by amosy007: 5:08pm On May 18, 2012
Walala:

Most of you are a bunch of morons who have no common sense. Did you see the criteria that was used for the comparison? They used speed test .net tests and took the average so it is only right that a country like Nigeria where everyone wants to feel among and they go get internet but they get the cheapest kind and then they start to test their speeds because that's what everyone is doing so the low scores will bring down the other higher speed test scores. There is absolutely no way that Ghana has this speed and it is not tied to population or total number of internet users.

This is a silly report that does not include all the criterion used to derive such baseless results. Ghana will never grow like Nigeria and you can ask the USA who is more important in the world today. Nigeria GDP is $240Billion compared to Ghana's $37Billion. Even Lagos has a bigger economy than Ghana. *****Hissing*****

a hug and a beer 4 u my brother... Just dunno what these ghanaians problems are... They just wana be in the league of nigeria by any means... They cant even compare the whole economy of ghana to lagos... Yet they wana compete with the whole country....yet they wnt find deir likes to compete with (the likes of cameroon, togo, ivory coast etc) they just want to compete with nigeria
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by amosy007: 5:12pm On May 18, 2012
Nonybb: This country called ghana(small letter intended) is really an inferiority complex set of ppl. Whenever they re higher in anythng compare to naija whether true or false they become so happy. For there info we dont even compare our self with any african country, wat we compare our selves with are japan china indonesia malaysia etc. So why being happy comparing with u ppl. Most nigeria to be honest dont even knw theres a country called ghana but whenever things or events happens in naija there media would report it like its there national story. Since ive lived in this country i ve neva seen a headline of our news letter on ghana. For some of us ghana is a bush place. Thats why most of there dirty bleached guys flog our country for movie set. A country whose populatn hv 90% dark ppl hv almost 95% of there tv screen goddess appearing fair in completion. Wat a typical inferior country!

thats a true countryman talking grin *ONE BEER 4 u too* grin cheesy
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 18, 2012
Jomiliny: Ah! Nigeria yaff scatter pata pata is like i will relocate. If i see the chance to move out of this bleeping country, i don't think i will come back here oooo cos all this things is discouraging someone. I hate Nigeria
thanx fool...we hate u more
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 18, 2012
Wud hv taken dis thread serioulsy if it was started by a reasonable person not by a bloody low life wt an IQ of a beast wt the name of akwasi...tenk gawd am not a mensah/ghanian...mtcheeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by emmke(m): 6:01pm On May 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Even with the whining things are no changing, at least not as fast as we want them to change. So, are you suggesting that we keep mute when we see what we don't like?
am not against whining but why whine about a thing like this? Ghana is even ahead of SA and all the north African countries in this ranking does that mean they are a better nation than them? Attempts by some posters to explain why we are this low in the ranking apparently fell on deaf ears. One can't help but have the feeling that Nigerians just love to dwell more on Nigeria's negatives.
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by jude33084(m): 6:04pm On May 18, 2012
cyril83: Ghana is the truly Giant of Africa

Before you change your nationality pls hear this; do you know that Nigeria holds the largest internet subscribers in Africa? MTN and GLO internet users in this country is even higher than some countrys total population mention above? What am trying to say is that the rate at which our internet subscribers growing is faster than what the operators forecasted or predicted that's why you experience network problems due to constant upgrading of their facilities all the time.
To me, Nigeria still remains the best!
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by blayz0923: 6:15pm On May 18, 2012
Does this mean we should all move to ghana cos of faster internet speed?
Crap
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Nobody: 6:24pm On May 18, 2012
this low life ..low self esteem ghanayans again? chei wetin man no go see ghana wey no reach rivers state state self wan compete with nigeria

i dey laff grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Korrection(m): 6:34pm On May 18, 2012
This has shown that only Nigerians have the right to keep Nigeria one...No country messes with us..south africa tried it and got more than they can chew.....now ghana's comparison with internet....Tell me what will happen if all internet users in Nigeria moves to ghana....rubbish...Because Obama visited and commended them as the giant of Africa doesnt really mean they are better off...Watch out as Obama looses the US forthcoming election simply because he hates us.....We are Nigerians...wether good or bad...we are good people and of course great Nation.....wether bad leaders or not..one day we will get it right.....

1 Like

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by SNCOQ3(m): 6:38pm On May 18, 2012
I just lost the desire to respond to the topic when i discovered i had to use Tor to access nairaland on the same machine i've been trying to use since yesterday with my normal browser.
@ MOD, do you guys block IP addresses without a good reason?
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Nobody: 6:46pm On May 18, 2012
a hug and a beer 4 u my brother... Just dunno what these ghanaians problems are... They just wana be in the league of nigeria by any means... They cant even compare the whole economy of ghana to lagos... Yet they wana compete with the whole country....yet they wnt find deir likes to compete with (the likes of cameroon, togo, ivory coast etc) they just want to compete with nigeria

We compete with Nigerians because they are much easier target than say Cameroon, togo and ivory coast. You guys are so full of yourself. Simple fact Ghana trash Nigeria in everything and y'all know it.

1 Like

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by manny4life(m): 7:01pm On May 18, 2012
mjconcept:
Guy how do you know your name?

Meaning?
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by amosy007: 7:12pm On May 18, 2012
We compete with Nigerians because they are much easier target than say Cameroon, togo and ivory coast. You guys are so full of yourself. Simple fact Ghana trash Nigeria in everything and y'all know it.

hahahahaha bloody black cocoa nigge'r self wan compete with better people...abeg pack well jor make u pass the mic

better people they talk ghanaian self dey talk...what an insult up on injury
ghana of all country? choi laff don kill me finish for here grin
FYI khaki can only pretend like leather but can never be leather tongue tongue

fooooooooooooooooooooool cheesy cheesy cheesy grin tongue
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by whitedove(m): 7:31pm On May 18, 2012
What's the big deal about 9ja being #9? naija is always having 9 whether na 419 or IDD na +9...infact we are 9!(factorial) seriously this contraption called Nigeria is not working. embarassed
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by PetroDolla: 7:37pm On May 18, 2012
The Ghana haters are at it again,huh? Pure crap!
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Sike(m): 7:43pm On May 18, 2012
whitedove: What's the big deal about 9ja being #9? naija is always having 9 whether na 419 or IDD na +9...infact we are 9!(factorial) seriously this contraption called Nigeria is not working. embarassed
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by stunna2(m): 7:45pm On May 18, 2012
please people lets drop the fight over who is most backward now...hopefully in a few more years it won't matter!! my 1st computer in the 1990s ran on a network with download speeds of 25 kilobits per second and DSL (top of the line Digital subscriber Lines)had speeds of 300 kb/sec!

Well, my ipad now runs a LTE network at close to 30 megabits per sec!!!

so, things will continue to get better too in africa weather it's nigeria or ghana!
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by novaman: 7:45pm On May 18, 2012
good location for yahoo boyz lol
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by PetroDolla: 7:46pm On May 18, 2012
Nonybb: This country called ghana(small letter intended) is really an inferiority complex set of ppl. Whenever they re higher in anythng compare to naija whether true or false they become so happy. For there info we dont even compare our self with any african country, wat we compare our selves with are japan china indonesia malaysia etc. So why being happy comparing with u ppl. Most nigeria to be honest dont even knw theres a country called ghana but whenever things or events happens in naija there media would report it like its there national story. Since ive lived in this country i ve neva seen a headline of our news letter on ghana. For some of us ghana is a bush place. Thats why most of there dirty bleached guys flog our country for movie set. A country whose populatn hv 90% dark ppl hv almost 95% of there tv screen goddess appearing fair in completion. Wat a typical inferior country!

A demented ewu. I understand your frustration- tethered to an eternally hopeless country, bottom dwelling thing they call nigeria is no joke oooh. The last time I checked they said every nigerian will suffer from insanity in their lifetime. I guess yours has started early,huh? shameless bigot!

1 Like

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by PetroDolla: 7:48pm On May 18, 2012
Korrection: This has shown that only Nigerians have the right to keep Nigeria one...No country messes with us..south africa tried it and got more than they can chew.....now ghana's comparison with internet....Tell me what will happen if all internet users in Nigeria moves to ghana....rubbish...Because Obama visited and commended them as the giant of Africa doesnt really mean they are better off...Watch out as Obama looses the US forthcoming election simply because he hates us.....We are Nigerians...wether good or bad...we are good people and of course great Nation.....wether bad leaders or not..one day we will get it right.....

Keep deceiving yourself.......................
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by VellyG(m): 7:54pm On May 18, 2012
Airtel is currently 3.26Mbps..your figures for nigeria is misleading..thanks
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by lakeside4love(m): 7:59pm On May 18, 2012
So d internet speed in America is way slower than that of Ghana becos the population of US is much more than that of Ghana??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) / How To Control Windows 8 Data Usage / SOLD. USA Used Lenovo T420 Core I5 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.