Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,187 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:48 PM

What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists (4942 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / Atheistic Contradiction / "Atheistic Belief Is Also From The White Master" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 9:38am On Jul 22, 2012
mazaje:

You clearly stated that your god can not be summoned at will because that takes him of the god category. . .I clearly showed you where he was summoned at will to prove himself just the way martins talked about and you are here blabbing and throwing more excuses. . .In the pages of story books which happen to be the only place where your god exist, he is always doing incredible things, he can be summoned at will to prove himself, Elija summoned him at will. . . Gideon and many others. . .In fact in the pages of story book were read that your god once addressed men through public speech. . .God is the same yesterday to day and forever no?. . .Keep on making excuses. . .If your god truly exist you will NOT be here telling us about his existence and what he wants because you have failed miserably, he will do it himself. . .
If there is anything I don't quite like about you, it is how you start an argument by choosing not to understand a position.

If I say "Mazaje come here" and you decide to come, that doesn't mean I automatically have control over your will.
However, if I call you repeatedly and you always show up each time I call, then It can be argued that I have control over your will.

God can be called upon but it is entirely His decision whether He wants to honor your word or not. What Martian was asking for was repeatable theophany i.e. controllable appearances of God.

God is not controllable. If God's appearances are repeatable, then they cease to be miracles no matter how wonderful they are.
If every time you recite a prayer a certain way, the exact same miracle happens then it is no longer God you are praying to but a machine.
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by mazaje(m): 9:47am On Jul 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
If there is anything I don't quite like about you, it is how you start an argument by choosing not to understand a position.

If I say "Mazaje come here" and you decide to come, that doesn't mean I automatically have control over your will.
However, if I call you repeatedly and you always show up each time I call, then It can be argued that I have control over your will.

God can be called upon but it is entirely His decision whether He wants to honor your word or not. What Martian was asking for was repeatable theophany i.e. controllable appearances of God.

God is not controllable. If God's appearances are repeatable, then they cease to be miracles no matter how wonderful they are.
If every time you recite a prayer a certain way, the exact same miracle happens then it is no longer God you are praying to but a machine.

Remember we are talking about a god you guys claim WANTS humanity to know him and have a personal relationship with him. .We are talking about a god you guys claim WANTS to SAVE humanity. . .If he can speak to ancient men through public speech on the pages of story books, fight along side them, show himself to be real to them when he was summoned for a test etc, he should be able to do same to us the modern people. . .So that we will stop relying on people like you that are always trying to make his case for him but failing all of the time. . . .
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 10:39am On Jul 22, 2012
mazaje:

Remember we are talking about a god your guys claim WANTS humanity to know him and have a personal relationship with him. .We are talking about a god your guys claim WANTS to SAVE humanity. . .If he can speak to ancient men through public speech on the pages of story books, fight along side them, show himself to be real to them when he was summoned for a text etc, he should be able to do same to us the modern people. . .So that we will stop relying on people like you that are always trying to make his case for him but failing all of the time. . . .

And I am saying that God is still in the business of doing the extraordinary. he is still talking to people and doing miracles and people are still believing. Nothing has changed about God.
The only thing is that when a man has pre-concluded that miracles never happen, even if a miracle kicked him on the head, he won't believe it is a miracle he will say "there must be a scientific explanation for it" and when he has found none, he will say "we are still searching for a scientific explanation" or he says "it is a perfectly normal though rare occurrence" he never accepts a miracle, he doubts it until he dies.
That is what I call "fanatical skeptism": The firm belief in doubt.

https://www.nairaland.com/995063/skeptic

1 Like

Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Kay17: 12:46pm On Jul 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
As expected, you have come up with another theory laden with a pre-assumption. How does the story of Elijah prove that God is subject to man's will? Elijah believed in God. He called God and God answered. It was God's choice whether He wished to answer or not. Others have called God at some times and He chose not to answer. If God didn't answer, He would still have been God. You are only speculating as usual.

Maybe Baal had equal discretion.
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Kay17: 12:48pm On Jul 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:

And I am saying that God is still in the business of doing the extraordinary. he is still talking to people and doing miracles and people are still believing. Nothing has changed about God.
The only thing is that when a man has pre-concluded that miracles never happen, even if a miracle kicked him on the head, he won't believe it is a miracle he will say "there must be a scientific explanation for it" and when he has found none, he will say "we are still searching for a scientific explanation" or he says "it is a perfectly normal though rare occurrence" he never accepts a miracle, he doubts it until he dies.

If miracles are impossibilites and disruptions in natural order and laws of thought, its fair to say both God and Miracles can exist in an irrational world.
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 1:07pm On Jul 22, 2012
Kay 17:

If miracles are impossibilites and disruptions in natural order and laws of thought, its fair to say both God and Miracles can exist in an irrational world.
Do you believe that this world is rationally ordered?
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Nothing has changed so theophany should be a walk in the park for him.

Mr_Anony:

If an amputee experienced spontaneous regeneration of a limb after the invocation of the name of your god, I will become an evangelical christian.
I have lowered my standard because it seems theophany is asking too much of an omnipotent god.
The reason you live in England and not Onitsha is because the people who built the country said "there must be a scientific explanation for it" when they don't understand natural phenomena, while you people say things like, "it MUST be spiritual".
It is that mentality of accepting "miracles" and putting a book of jewish myths on a pedestal that has contributed to the cultural and economic retardation of black folk.
I call it "black religiosity" : The firm belief in Absurdities.

2 Likes

Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by mazaje(m): 2:00pm On Jul 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:

As Martin said, the restoration of the limbs of an amputee after being prayed for in the name of Jesus will make me and all the atheist here evangelical christians, after all Jesus PROMISED those that believe in him the ability to do GREATER things than he did. .We were told among other things that he healed a man whose ear was amputated and had it restored. . .If the bible is true christians can heal amputees and restore their amputated limbs back. . .The FACT that no christian on earth can do that says it all. . .Clear cut miracles DO NOT happen. . .
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Kay17: 2:23pm On Jul 22, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Do you believe that this world is rationally ordered?

If we aren't in a rationally ordered world, there would be no Reason.
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 2:31pm On Jul 22, 2012
Kay 17:

If we aren't in a rationally ordered world, there would be no Reason.
Is our world rational or irrational?
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Kay17: 3:10pm On Jul 22, 2012
I answered Rational
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 3:26pm On Jul 22, 2012
Kay 17: I answered Rational
Apologies, I didn't read your answer properly.
The follow up question; If the world is rational, doesn't this imply that there must be something or someone that gives it order?
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Kay17: 6:18pm On Jul 22, 2012
Why should I presume a disorganised world??

If all entities have their characters and behave in a predictable manner, wouldn't order be natural?!
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 6:32pm On Jul 22, 2012
Kay 17: Why should I presume a disorganised world??

If all entities have their characters and behave in a predictable manner, wouldn't order be natural?!
can you tell me of any one entity whose predictable manner is explained of itself?
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Kay17: 6:34pm On Jul 22, 2012
Gravity.

Energy
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 6:50pm On Jul 22, 2012
Kay 17: Gravity.

Energy
You gave some very wrong examples or perhaps you didn't get my question. gravity for instance is not something that behaves in a certain way, gravity is the behaviour itself.
we were talking about natural order and things following that order gravity is one such natural order, energy is an ability. They are in a sense abstracts.
You have not mentioned any entity that follows an order but the order the entity follows is explained by observing it in isolation i.e an object moving but which you don't need the law of motion to explain it's movement; the moving object just explains the phenomenon of movement in itself.
There is no such thing.

for irrationality and disorder to occur, there must be order and rationality from which it deviates.
For rationality and order to exist, there must be one that rationalizes and puts the order in place
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 8:08pm On Jul 22, 2012
mazaje:

As Martin said, the restoration of the limbs of an amputee after being prayed for in the name of Jesus will make me and all the atheist here evangelical christians, after all Jesus PROMISED those that believe in him the ability to do GREATER things than he did. .We were told among other things that he healed a man whose ear was amputated and had it restored. . .If the bible is true christians can heal amputees and restore their amputated limbs back. . .The FACT that no christian on earth can do that says it all. . .Clear cut miracles DO NOT happen. . .

Lol, you guys are funny. You remind me of when the devil tempted Jesus to turn stone into bread........oh well

...........But the Jewish leaders demanded, “What are you doing? If God gave you authority to do this, show us a miraculous sign to prove it.”
“All right,” Jesus replied. “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”
John 2:18-19
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 22, 2012
@ OP

When all the theists quit talking and God actually does the talking.
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by cyrexx: 9:18pm On Jul 22, 2012
phxc: @ OP

GBAM!!!
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by thehomer: 10:25pm On Jul 22, 2012

God is busy listening to T.B Joshua to come looking for you to have a chat. grin
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jul 22, 2012

Like i said... atheists' will only accept the validity of the God theory when they receive His physical address.

But look at the double standard... when are atheists going to present to us a video of the big b[i]a[/i]ng?
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Kay17: 10:42pm On Jul 22, 2012
God has retired from coming downstairs.
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by manmustwac(m): 11:29pm On Jul 22, 2012
@poster
Pointless topic because there's nothing u can do to prove to any atheist that God exists.
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Zodiac61(m): 12:10am On Jul 23, 2012
noetic16: Atheists assert that there is no God. Usually they lean on science, logic or supposedly superior arguments to assert their claims.

but lets for one minute assume that atheists/atheism is motivated by lack of answers or superstition or evidence as they claim and that science has an answer to everything, what would change in the face of science or evidences available to change your atheistic postulations?

obviously the physical healing of an amputee would not change the mind of someone like mazaje, simply because you can tell that mazaje's atheism is motivated by emotions. somewhere along the line, he prayed for something extremely important, it did not happen, he didnt bother to find out God's opinion, he just concluded that there is no God. The same story applies to a million other atheists on the face of the earth, who probably had a loved one on a sick bed dying of an incurable disease only for them to pray and still yet the person died, hence they concluded that there is no God.

Obviously, these people are misguided as they have no understanding of prayer, God, Jesus, Salvation, Miracles or Christianity. Their mental orientation involves the belief that God is like alaadin jinn, who you simply call on at any time of the day for whatever u want. is this what the scriptures teach? So we had misguided half-baked christians, with unChristlike desires suddenly bitter and professing atheism.

But the crux of the matter is that, since all atheists claim to be atheist due to prevailing evidences or lack of them to support the existence of a creator . ..the question is what evidence would suffice to change your mind? what evidence would change your present dogmatic belief?

This question is important because it allows us to separate emotional atheists from the logical ones. Logical ones lean on intelligence and idealism to argue their case and perhaps can be honest enough to admit the vulnerabilty of their argument.

so what would make you dump atheism?

This really is an ignorant post.
Having reached a conclusion about atheists, a silly question is asked.
Most atheists are atheists because there is no evidence that god exists.
The healing of an amputee would not lead me to the automatic conclusion that "goddidit".
There would have to a total exclusion of natural causes before one considers the supernatural.
You theists should really do better than lazy attempts to rationalize your beliefs in the big sky fairy.
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Kay17: 12:16am On Jul 23, 2012
Mr_Anony:
You gave some very wrong examples or perhaps you didn't get my question. gravity for instance is not something that behaves in a certain way, gravity is the behaviour itself.
we were talking about natural order and things following that order gravity is one such natural order, energy is an ability. They are in a sense abstracts.
You have not mentioned any entity that follows an order but the order the entity follows is explained by observing it in isolation i.e an object moving but which you don't need the law of motion to explain it's movement; the moving object just explains the phenomenon of movement in itself.
There is no such thing.

for irrationality and disorder to occur, there must be order and rationality from which it deviates.
For rationality and order to exist, there must be one that rationalizes and puts the order in place

Gravity is an abstract?

Energy is ability??

I doubt if we are eferuing to the same terms.
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Nobody: 1:42am On Jul 23, 2012
Kay 17:

Gravity is an abstract?

Energy is ability??

you really dont know anything dude. Your posts are far easily the least substantive... full of hot air.
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Kay17: 2:05pm On Jul 23, 2012
^^^

So you agree with mr anony that Gravity is an abstract and Energy is ability??
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jul 23, 2012
Kay 17: ^^^

So you agree with mr anony that Gravity is an abstract and Energy is ability??

Who cares? I was merely making a general comment about u.
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by Kay17: 2:51pm On Jul 23, 2012
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by thehomer: 7:31pm On Jul 23, 2012
Kay 17: Empirical proofs for evolution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

What sort of empirical evidence can you provide to someone who refuses to accept empirical evidence? The guy doesn't even know that scientific theories are based on empirical evidence.
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by MrAnony1(m): 6:06am On Jul 25, 2012
Kay 17:

Gravity is an abstract?

Energy is ability??

Wow! Really? I'll put up the post again.

Mr_Anony:
There is no such thing.

@Kay, You have successfully sidestepped the main issue at hand by reading exactly what you wanted to read into what I didn't imply (remember we were talking about order in the first place). Thanks for your dishonesty.

Quick reminder: The main point of my post is contained in the final paragraph highlighted.
Re: What Evidence Would Change Your Present Atheistic Postulations? @ NL Atheists by mrmayor(m): 8:41pm On Jul 25, 2012
1. Restore an Amputee after praying.

2. Ability to Walk on Water after calling on the name of Jesus

3. Parting the Atlantic, just like the Red Sea

4. Ability to drive a car without Fuel after praying, I hear Daddy GO has done it already, want that "grace" extended to all

5. Finally, if God truly can, let him cure Corruption in Nigeria.

If these are done, even one I will repent now now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Shall We Continue In Sin? / List Of Sins That Will Lead You To Hell / The Cult Of The Askers And Knøckers And Seekers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.