Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice (18789 Views)

8 words of advice for the Unmarried Single Mothers. / Words Of Advice From A Mother To Her Daughter / Any Word Of Advice To Those Scared Of Getting Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by applelady(f): 10:40pm On Mar 24, 2012
Please ‎​♍Ɣ friends, I am HIV positive and my uncle who is un aware of my status wants to help me with a custom job, I'm wondering if customs discriminate against HIV people even though you look healthy. I'm in a dilemma cos I don't know what to tell my uncle, please house help me cos I'm scared.

1 Like

Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by Nobody: 12:30pm On Mar 25, 2012
if your uncle is getting you the job through general recruitment then am afraid you will be tested during training. they might kick you out. but if your uncle is well connected and its through replacement then lucky you, you wouldn't go through any testing.

on another note i'd like to chip in a few words for yoU. why don't you want to disclose your status even to family? i have a cousin who got infected and told everyone. initially we found it difficlut to deal with it but as time went on every one accepted it (infact we hardly remember her health condition) and now she is happily married. LET YOUR FAMILY KNOW! EVERY OTHER THING WILL FALL IN PLACE.

12 Likes

Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by applelady(f): 1:52pm On Mar 25, 2012
@torkaka, you said they might kick ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ out which means you are ₪☺τ̅ reAlly sure, please I want somebody that is sure to enable ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ know what to do.
In the issue of telling ‎​♍Ɣ family,hmmm,you don't know the kind of family I came from, they would probably die before ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ so no need telling them. Thanks sha for your contribution, more please!

1 Like

Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by dalaman: 4:34pm On Mar 25, 2012
As he said, if you are going through general recruitment, then you will be tested. That I know for sure.
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 25, 2012
the reason i said they might kick you out is this; during the just concluded training exercise for cadet officers, all round test were conducted. some time through the training some cadets were called and decamped! no one gave reasons for their decampment though it was rumored in camp that some tested positive and some were pregnant.

on the other thing; don't you think its better to know now than wait till later? wouldn't the hurt be more aggrevated if they know you lived a lie all this while? my family(i inclusive) also looked down on my cousin when we first knew. but now believe me things are totally different. give it ashot!
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by eherbal(m): 8:45pm On Mar 25, 2012
applelady: @torkaka, you said they might kick ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ out which means you are ₪☺τ̅ reAlly sure, please I want somebody that is sure to enable ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ know what to do.
In the issue of telling ‎​♍Ɣ family,hmmm,you don't know the kind of family I came from, they would probably die before ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ so no need telling them. Thanks sha for your contribution, more please!
why defer a bad day when it'll eventually come?your family should be the first to know.if you don't tell them now,they'll know one way or the other.confide in your uncle,you'd be surprised how calmly he'll deal with it. he may even muscle you into the service.best of luck.there is no easy way out of this.
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by Outstrip(f): 10:14pm On Mar 25, 2012
But why can't someone who is HIV positive work in customs? Is that not discrimatory? @ poster sooner or later you will have to tell at the very least your closest relatives. Think about that. Don't rush and tell whern you are not ready but be realistic and know that eventually you will have to tell your family. Goodluck. I truly wish you well

12 Likes

Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by mirob(f): 1:16pm On Mar 27, 2012
I thought HIV test is ₪☺τ̅ among the test taken in other to get a job, that is discrimination at it's height, so the people involved should just G̶̲̥̅̊☹ and die, abi?

2 Likes

Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by maclatunji: 1:31pm On Mar 27, 2012
mirob: I thought HIV test is ₪☺τ̅ among the test taken in other to get a job, that is discrimination at it's height, so the people involved should just G̶̲̥̅̊☹ and die, abi?

The excuse would be that HIV infected people are 'not fit' for the rigours of the job. OP, tell your uncle the truth!

1 Like

Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by teskyg: 3:34pm On Mar 27, 2012
I dont think they checked for HIV status...Its one of those things anyway.Inform your people and for counseling.Its not easy but God will be with you.
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by stepo707: 3:53pm On Mar 27, 2012
embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by Standing5(m): 3:58pm On Mar 27, 2012
She deinitely can. Not all establishment request for Medical test again some request for just a medical certificate of physical fitness
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by forkadict(m): 4:43pm On Mar 27, 2012
I thought it's illegal to make subject someone to take HIV test without the person's express permission? A prospective candidate can sue a prospective employer if the candidate finds out that he was made to undergo HIV test and was not employed by the company.

Lawyers in the house. Can y'all confirm this?
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by chuckdee4(m): 4:55pm On Mar 27, 2012
maclatunji:

The excuse would be that HIV infected people are 'not fit' for the rigours of the job. OP, tell your uncle the truth!

That's a lame excuse, is shedding blood part of the job description for Custom Officers?
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by maclatunji: 4:57pm On Mar 27, 2012
fork adict: I thought it's illegal to make subject someone to take HIV test without the person's express permission? A prospective candidate can sue a prospective employer if the candidate finds out that he was made to undergo HIV test and was not employed by the company.

Lawyers in the house. Can y'all confirm this?

For Nigeria? Conducting medical test on applicants is not illegal. What is illegal is not employing people just because they are HIV Positive. You want to sue a paramilitary organisation for this? I wish you the best of luck!
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by Goodcare(m): 5:09pm On Mar 27, 2012
See everybody has pass through sickness in live so therefore pravacy must be respected in any Conner.....your illness is your pravacy please don't tell anyone if you are called for interview......Remember after six month of your Probation you will be staff and you are entitled to all medical expenses and other staff benefit.......i wish you best of luck in Jesus name
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by PurestBoy(m): 5:16pm On Mar 27, 2012
When they told you to stop shagging you refused to listen...Now see where it ends now.

applelady: Please ‎​♍Ɣ friends, I am HIV positive and my uncle who is un aware of my status wants to help me with a custom job, I'm wondering if customs discriminate against HIV people even though you look healthy. I'm in a dilemma cos I don't know what to tell my uncle, please house help me cos I'm scared.
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by chuckdee4(m): 5:20pm On Mar 27, 2012
PurestBoy: When they told you to stop shagging you refused to listen...Now see where it ends now.

You're a nini, is that the only way HIV can be contacted?

4 Likes

Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 27, 2012
PurestBoy: When they told you to stop shagging you refused to listen...Now see where it ends now.

who let this animal out the zoo?

@post
customs is paramilitary, testing your status and fitness is not out of place

4 Likes

Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by kristiansmart: 5:38pm On Mar 27, 2012
A prospective candidate can sue a prospective employer if the candidate finds out that he was made to undergo HIV test and was not employed by the company.[img]http://www.demama.info/hjk[/img]
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by stagger: 5:46pm On Mar 27, 2012

The same response that a top govt official gave stakeholders in 2004 when the expired HIV drugs scandal became public after the Nigerian govt could not sustain its subsidy of HIV drugs and Bill Gates came to our rescue with 100million dollars worth of drugs.

Some ignorant people never seem to amaze me.

3 Likes

Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by kemmeye: 6:18pm On Mar 27, 2012
You should be able to get a good job. You can always sue if they discriminate against you just because you have HIV.
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by soapdish(f): 6:44pm On Mar 27, 2012
@Purestboy... Your level of ignorance is so sad and pathetic. You need to enlighten yourself before you make a fool of yourself in a public forum.

1 Like

Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by amirize(m): 6:48pm On Mar 27, 2012
Hey
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by brade: 6:50pm On Mar 27, 2012
apple lady i will like to be your friend

1 Like

Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by soapdish(f): 6:58pm On Mar 27, 2012
@OP If you are on ARV drugs long before the medicals, your viral load would likely be very low and may not be detected. That is your best option. If you have not started on the drugs, you better start. Goodluck.
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by Nobody: 7:06pm On Mar 27, 2012
OP
U need to be physically fit to work with a paramilitary organization like Customs.

amirize: Hey do not tell ur uncle or your relatives, family members, they cant help u ok.
Rather tell God, pray and seek HIM, HE will heal ur disease, HE has done it to others, HE can heal u too. Confide in people, pastors connected to God with gifted healing anointing so they pray wit u ok. Be positive and continue with the job processing, u never cant tell, not a big deal for God to do supernatural things ok. Make up your mind for healing from God and pursue it till you get it... Dont take any negative words or advise from nairaland posters...

Wishful thinking. U wan make pastors take advantage of her to collect her money abi? If she will tell God, tell him alone. She still must take meds.

Animal. Waste of space.

1 Like

Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by piphunter(m): 7:07pm On Mar 27, 2012

You should be ashamed of your self you insensitive son of a bitch

3 Likes

Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by MOM1(m): 7:21pm On Mar 27, 2012
Tell your uncle.. what will be will be...

1 Like

Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by Nobody: 7:21pm On Mar 27, 2012
amirize: Hey do not tell ur uncle or your relatives, family members, they cant help u ok.
Rather tell God, pray and seek HIM, HE will heal ur disease, HE has done it to others, HE can heal u too. Confide in people, pastors connected to God with gifted healing anointing so they pray wit u ok. Be positive and continue with the job processing, u never cant tell, not a big deal for God to do supernatural things ok. Make up your mind for healing from God and pursue it till you get it... Dont take any negative words or advise from nairaland posters...
Listen to d above poster GOD can do it most def am convinced of dis fact.
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by andyanders: 7:27pm On Mar 27, 2012
Go to Synagogue Church of All Nations and get deliverance and your HIV will be healed and you will still get your job.r
Re: HIV & Work: Desperately In Need Of Advice by sunnshyn(f): 7:34pm On Mar 27, 2012
piphunter:
You should be ashamed of your self you insensitive son of a bitch
he was wrong saying what he said. However, u going ahead to call he's Mom a Naughty Woman wass a bit too far! Don't u tink? Pple sud try as much as possible to be decent in dir use of words...Just Saying.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Don't Feel Attracted To My Wife Anymore / Reasons Not To Compare Your Kids With Others / Help!i Am Madly In Love With My Wife Best Friend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.