Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,026 members, 7,818,032 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

Advice Needed Please! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advice Needed Please! (2522 Views)

Human Rights Activists Needed, Please! / Advice Needed: His Wife Will Not Allow Him Rest. / Advice Needed! Am I So Picky As Regards To This Issue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed Please! by uche13: 6:51pm On Mar 26, 2012
Good people of the family section, please matured advice is needed here.

My cousin's mum, never got married. She cohabited with a man for about 14 years without the man performing any marriage rites on her. They just "assumed" they were married until the man woke up 14 years later after 3 girls and walked out of the marriage. He went ahead to marry another woman (did all the necessary ceremonies even church wedding). My aunt was disillusioned, she was not working and the task of raising these kids rested o her shoulders. She had high pressure with other sickness and it was only by the mercy of God that she is still alive today. This all happened a couple of years back.

The issue at hand now is that the first daughter is set to marry. According to the culture of the woman, since the man never married the mother, the kids automatically belong to the woman's family. However, the reverse is the case where the daughter's fiance comes from. His people are insisting that the wedding be done in her father's place as doing it in her mum's place carries the implication that she is a bastard with no roots. Her father is ready to do arrange the traditional wedding in his place but her mum is considerably livid. If the wedding is done in the father's place, the mum cannot attend since she is not recognized there so the mum is so angry as to why the father is now all of a sudden showing up after so many years. He never paid the moneys social welfare asked him to pay for the upkeep of the kids years back and she really had to struggle to raise them.

The daughter on the other hand is caught between both parents who are now hurling insults at each other. Meanwhile, she is heavy and her bp is high at the moment. Her mum is so bitter with her to the extent that they had a huge disagreement which made the girl pack and leave the house to an undisclosed address as the mum further called her fiancee to curse him if her ever thinks of housing her daughter without marriage.

Though i seek the advice of matured people here, my own suggestion however is this. She should talk to the mum, reassure her of the fact that she loves her and appreciates her role in her life. Further explain to her that doing the wedding in her dad's place is just a matter of fulfilling obligations blablabla. Soothe her and play on her emotions and she would relax. Better still, the trad should be done in lag and with that no body can stop her from attending though its still the dad's people who would handle everything.

Your suggestions are highly welcome.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by Fhemmmy: 8:48pm On Mar 26, 2012
uche13: Good people of the family section, please matured advice is needed here.

Meanwhile, she is heavy and her bp is high at the moment. Her mum is so bitter with her to the extent that they had a huge disagreement which made the girl pack and leave the house to an undisclosed address as the mum further called her fiancee to curse him if her ever thinks of housing her daughter without marriage.

Explain, heavy as in pregnant or heavy as in heavy minded?
Re: Advice Needed Please! by ifyalways(f): 9:02pm On Mar 26, 2012
Much ado about nothing.Don't know why things are hard(well,except one thing) in marriages these days.

Who are the husband's family that are insisting on celebrating the union in the dad's place?what is the husband(to be) position?This is how it starts oh,extended family pokenosing into matters,making simple things complicated for the new couple and sowing early seeds of discord.

This is an issue that should be agreed on by the young couple,then they convey their decision to both families.

The way forward now is to pick a neutral venue. The girl goes home to calm her mom,the boy goes to his people to tell and invite them to the new avenue and both goes to the the girls dad to invite him to the new venue.Shikena.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed Please! by Busybody2(f): 12:03am On Mar 27, 2012
Shame on the girl, not only did she have the nerve to listen to the crap fed her by her fiance, she also had the audacity and affront and sheer disrespect to pass this message on to her own Mother, SMH

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed Please! by Nobody: 1:46am On Mar 27, 2012
people are focusing on the wrong issues here:
A) what does the future married lady WANTS?

B) who care what the mother feels, its all about her DAUGHTERs big day and she should put her cheap differences aside. father wants to step up and help his daughter (for once) and she is getting in the way, how callous! the fact that he didnt pay child support ordered by the court is OBVIOUSLY irrelevant to the daughter who has no problem having the ceremony done at her fathers.

C) at best, future hubby should understand that his future wifey's life has not been straight forward, and ACCEPT to have her mum present at her father's place during the ceremony, et voila, case closed!
Re: Advice Needed Please! by Nobody: 4:20am On Mar 27, 2012
@ poster, What matters is what the daughter wants and there must be understanding that there are different people and obligations pulling her. I agree with MBJ, that the mother must put herself aside,SUPPORT her daughter and work with everyone to make this a happy occasion.And the mother attending HAS to be worked out. Theres no reason for people to selfishly bicker and fight.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by tpia5: 4:27am On Mar 27, 2012
registry first, iron out the kinks later, at your convenience.

unless you like wahala.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed Please! by Nobody: 7:01am On Mar 27, 2012

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed Please! by blank(f): 9:42am On Mar 27, 2012
Family is such an issue. Sometimes, i wish we could just do whatever we want and then inform family to just come as guests. Wahala to much o.

The girl in question should do what she wants to do. Even if her mum did every for her, she might not bear her father any grudges. She wants her dad to part of her big day, big deal. The mum should deal with it and try and work her way into a compromise. My issue is even with the in-laws sef. They know the parents are separated yet they want to start laying their own laws n customs. Thought the traditional wedding belongs to the bride and they do things the way the bride wants.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by Busybody2(f): 9:53am On Mar 27, 2012
MRbrownJAY: people are focusing on the wrong issues here:
A) what does the future married lady WANTS?

B) who care what the mother feels, its all about her DAUGHTERs big day and she should put her cheap differences aside. father wants to step up and help his daughter (for once) and she is getting in the way, how callous! the fact that he didnt pay child support ordered by the court is OBVIOUSLY irrelevant to the daughter who has no problem having the ceremony done at her fathers.

C) at best, future hubby should understand that his future wifey's life has not been straight forward, and ACCEPT to have her mum present at her father's place during the ceremony, et voila, case closed!

Case reopened.

This is not a battle of the sexes matter.

This is not a clearcut straightforward case of a difficult Mum.

[size=18pt]This is a case whereby the girl is being forced to yield to not her man oh, but her man's family putting their foot down that they want to hide the fact that the girl is a bastard[/size]

If I was the girl, to hell with that wedding! What ludicrous proposition are the man's family going to come up with next? And if she wants to proceed with this wedding, she better get pregnant sharpish, have a perfect non-disabled baby, and make sure that baby is a boy. . .

Arrggghhhh, Nigeria sucks, why is my blood suddenly boiling. . .
Re: Advice Needed Please! by Busybody2(f): 10:06am On Mar 27, 2012
Wowser, the girl ain't even a bastard, if we look at the true meaning of the word, just the victim of a deadbeat, feckless, caddish, bounder of a spermdonor dad, who thinks waiving a few worthless Naira can erase his past Bleep up undecided

The girl is an inconsiderate greedy ingrate, end of. Anyway marriage is about leaving one family to go and cling to another family, so she should go right ahead to where she has already been "wrongly" prejudged as a bastard. I bet this same family also have a few excuse/culture (naturally blaming the girl of course) to explain every curve ball life throws at the couple. And I can bet my bottom dollar this is those type of families we read on here who divorces their wives for serving them the wrong part of a Chicken, Good luck.

THREAD CLOSED.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by uche13: 10:16am On Mar 27, 2012
Thank you to every person who contributed here.

@fhemmy, Heavy in this context means she is pregnant.

@ ifyalways,
You know, in as much as couples are usually adviced to make their own decision and be firm about it, there are issues that tend to be way out of their hand. We are still very cultural in this country and we have to respect some norms and traditions i think even if just for the sake of peace and the future. I believe that it is the white wedding that a couple has so much influence over any decision they take as to venue, etc. However, it is not so easy when it has to do with traditional wedding. This is the reason why in most cases where even the father does not want to be involved in the child's wedding due to sepeartion, an uncle in the family represents him.

@MBJ,

Yea i know it is the daughter's day but i feel the mum's pain so much. Why is he the father all of a sudden acting all concerned about the daughter's life. He never cared about the children. It does not matter if he never cared for their mum but at least his kids. This was a man that left immediately she gave birth to the third child who happened to be a girl all in the name of the woman only having girls for him. That is not the main issue now so i am not even delving into it now. But you know, this woman had to drop 2 of her girls for a while at the SOS Village because she was ill and she could not cope with the responsibilities as at then. I was talking to a lady just the other day whose father sent her and her two daughters packing but who once in a while after so much bickering sends them money for their fees. At a point she said that she would stop collecting and rely on God to raise her kids. I told her to collect any money or anything he sends to her as it is not a favour but his responsibility. I also reminded her that in the future after all her suffering, the man may come back apologizing bla bla and its still people that would advice the kids to forgive "after all, he is still your father". She would now be the one at the losing side. Nonsense.

@CC,

You are correct oh. If the girl insists on her mother's people performing the marriage rites, she may be the subject of ridicule. This is not just the issue of venue but the family that would handle everything from the giving of list to collecting the bride price. Tradition is so annoying. In the future, her in-laws if they happen to be bad people would taunt her and remind her of how she has no roots and no family. It would even expose her family deficiency which i even feel should only be exposed to her husband. His people may not even recognize her and God forbid but what happens in the unlikely event of anything happening to her husband. It is terrible indeed!.

This is why i advice the father's people to handle the ceremony but it should be done in Lagos as the idea of the mum hiring a canopy and doing her thing would not work in the village as the umuada would have a field day mocking her, gossiping and ridiculing her and her strength may fail her once again.

Thank you everyone.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by uche13: 10:27am On Mar 27, 2012
@BB,

I understand your anger oh. Its really annoying but this is Nigeria for you and our over adherence to useless customs and traditions. The truth is that young men need to start standing up and take a stand on issues in their family way before the issue of marriage arises.

My father told us of how when his people fought him when he got born-again. he refused to comply with some native traditions and was almost treated like an outlaw (adherence to tradition was even worse during his time oh). He said the town union people refused to attend his wedding but they were not missed as his fellowship brethren in uni and his xtian friends more than made up for their absence. But the truth is that he became known for his stand on issues to the extent that when my elder sis did her wedding, they removed everything on the list related to alcohol and other native rites as they knew he would never comply.

As it stands, my fear is that this poor girl may end up having the mum's story as the date of the trad wedding has been cancelled. She has left her mum's house and she is heavily pregnant. She stands the risk of living with the man without being married all in the name of issues should be resolved first and then the babies start popping and before you know, no wedding is conducted.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by Coldfeet(f): 10:34am On Mar 27, 2012
I feel sorry for this girl, if not that she's already pregnant my advise would be to just forget about the guy and his family, the signs that the family she's about to marry into are core traditionist! Lord knows what they'll insist on next.

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed Please! by Busybody2(f): 5:01pm On Mar 27, 2012
uche13: @BB,

I understand your anger oh. Its really annoying but this is Nigeria for you and our over adherence to useless customs and traditions. The truth is that young men need to start standing up and take a stand on issues in their family way before the issue of marriage arises.

My father told us of how when his people fought him when he got born-again. he refused to comply with some native traditions and was almost treated like an outlaw (adherence to tradition was even worse during his time oh). He said the town union people refused to attend his wedding but they were not missed as his fellowship brethren in uni and his xtian friends more than made up for their absence. But the truth is that he became known for his stand on issues to the extent that when my elder sis did her wedding, they removed everything on the list related to alcohol and other native rites as they knew he would never comply.

As it stands, my fear is that this poor girl may end up having the mum's story as the date of the trad wedding has been cancelled. She has left her mum's house and she is heavily pregnant. She stands the risk of living with the man without being married all in the name of issues should be resolved first and then the babies start popping and before you know, no wedding is conducted.

Sorry my blood was overboiling earlier.

Wow, thank God for exemplary rare good men like your Daddy who do not compromise their integrity that others now hold him in such high esteem, they now have to conform to him and knowtow to him. When a man's way is pleasing to the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. . .

Like you correctly said, this issue could have been trashed out as soon as they started dating/getting serious, now she stands to betray her Mum and lose her trust.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by Tgirl4real(f): 5:17pm On Mar 27, 2012
I really don"t see why people can"t understand the woman's postion. A man leaving you and your kids after co-habiting for 14 years is wicked and callous.

The mother simply doesn"t want her daughter"s big day to be taken away from her. Though, it's the daughter wedding, it's also the joy of every parent esp mothers to see that joyous day.

Imagine one family telling me, my wedding has to be so so so. . .

Obviously, d girl will be seen as a second class in the man's house. it's just unfortunate that the girl is pregnant.

I can't put down my mom cos of my own selfish reasons o cos she has trully suffered for me. Instead, I will wait till my daughter is ready to get married and do my own thing.hehehe

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed Please! by ronkebp(f): 5:29pm On Mar 27, 2012
i think the mother's feelings should be put into consideration.

Oh!!! so all of a sudden her so-called father now wants to be a father to the kids he abondoned years ago, the girl is so silly to rub insults on her mothers face. Seriously?

So now, inlaws, especially from the male side dictates where marraige is to be done? I thought their role is to come to the woman's place for the wedding?

Anyways, my take is that, the lady should ask the father to comeover to her mothers' place for the wedding!!! i support her mother not going, especially if she has not forgiven the man, and that is the case.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed Please! by ronkebp(f): 7:02pm On Mar 27, 2012
Coldfeet: I feel sorry for this girl, if not that she's already pregnant my advise would be to just forget about the guy and his family, the signs that the family she's about to marry into are core traditionist! Lord knows what they'll insist on next.

This is part of the things that happens, when you decide to open legs without sense before marraige, lets assumme that the guy dumps her now, it will be a diiferent story we would be handling here on NL.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed Please! by Nobody: 2:56am On Mar 28, 2012
uche13: Thank you to every person who contributed here.
@MBJ,

Yea i know it is the daughter's day but i feel the mum's pain so much.

we ALL do but that shouldnt be a reason to wreck her daughters big day.

Why is he the father all of a sudden acting all concerned about the daughter's life. He never cared about the children. It does not matter if he never cared for their mum but at least his kids. This was a man that left immediately she gave birth to the third child who happened to be a girl all in the name of the woman only having girls for him.

so what you are saying is that: his daughter needs his help but the father should refuse to help? lol! whatever happened in the past IS IN THE PAST, the fact that the daughter reached out to him is a proof to that.

That is not the main issue now so i am not even delving into it now. But you know, this woman had to drop 2 of her girls for a while at the SOS Village because she was ill and she could not cope with the responsibilities as at then.

again we all do understand that she has been through a lot but that shouldnt be a reason to wreck her daughters big day, and this lady should put her hatred for the father aside.

I was talking to a lady just the other day whose father sent her and her two daughters packing but who once in a while after so much bickering sends them money for their fees. At a point she said that she would stop collecting and rely on God to raise her kids. I told her to collect any money or anything he sends to her as it is not a favour but his responsibility. I also reminded her that in the future after all her suffering, the man may come back apologizing bla bla and its still people that would advice the kids to forgive "after all, he is still your father". She would now be the one at the losing side. Nonsense.

pls care to tell me what would this woman be "losing" if her daughter forgives her father?! so because she raised their daughter on her own, this kids should NEVER get in contact with their father?! because she refused to receive the little money that the father sent, he has no right to contact his children ever again?

you do know that this makes no damn sense, right?

ronkebp: i think the mother's feelings should be put into consideration.

definitely, but it shouldnt be the main issue here. there is absolutely nothing wrong with her attending the fathers place.

Oh!!! so all of a sudden her so-called father now wants to be a father to the kids he abondoned years ago, the girl is so silly to rub insults on her mothers face. Seriously?

as much hatred as the mother may have for the father, children dont think like that. her father will always REMAIN her father, and that girl probably love him just as much as her mother. kids dont put weight on such issue as the mother does, when it comes to love.
do you really believe that a daughter will stop loving her father simply because he didnt pay child support?! lol!

Anyways, my take is that, the lady should ask the father to comeover to her mothers' place for the wedding!!! i support her mother not going, especially if she has not forgiven the man, and that is the case.

so you do believe that what happened between mum and dad should be an issue in the way of their daughters wedding?
Re: Advice Needed Please! by GboyegaD(m): 4:57am On Mar 28, 2012
This shouldn't translate to much issues if the mother of the bride isn't selfish in this matter. For the sake of the future joy of her daughter, she should allow the wedding hold at the girl's daughters place and that doesn't mean she isn't strong. Besides, since she chose to play the good girl for their father for 14years, she need not hold anything against the father of her children and should see it as a learning point for herself, family and those who knows her.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by ronkebp(f): 3:00pm On Mar 28, 2012
MBJ got all your analysis, the daughter is the insensitive one in a situation like this, i wished the mother had forgiven the father for all he did to her, but she obviously has not. As a daughter what steps has she taken in reconciling her father to her mother or bridging the gap between them?, now that it is her turn to marry she wants her mother to follow her to her father's house with all the heaviness in her heart.

My cousin's parents divorced i guess, when she was lets say 9, But can you believe when it was time for her to get married, hers' was the first wedding in her family then, the kids had their own meeting, got their dad and mum together and it worked, the parents came together for her wedding, every grieviances had been resolved.

The lady should not think that strong-head will get her any where, God forbid if the dad was with his ancestors, will the guys family say they have to do the wedding in the father's house dan-dan?

The guys family should go and sit down, they don't know anything and they are setting rules.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by uche13: 4:31pm On Mar 28, 2012
Thank you everyone jare.
I am giving any bit of advice to someone so strong headed. Can you just imagine, i was able to get the whole story and it down right disgusts me.

Firstly, this girl is the first and prior to her parents having issues, she was very close to her dad. When her dad abandoned them, she woke up one day and said she was going to look for her dad. She was abt 14 then. She was successful in her bid and against our advice moved in with his family. She know last there one month sef before running to her mum and complaining of her step mum maltreating her.

Now seven years later, she is acting so silly. What transpired is that after her fiancee told her that his people said it is an abomination to do the wedding in her mum's place, she told her mum and called her dad secretly. The mum got a call one day after 7 yrs from her "husband". After series of exchange of hate mails between the two of them, the girl quarreled with the mum and had the guts to tell her that she wants her to go through what she the mum went through.

To cut the story short, she(daughter) deleted her father's name from the mum's phone, told him her mum is being difficult, went ahead and presented the traditional wedding list to the father without even showing the mum and has now moved out of the house.

very sillly and immature daughter. May God help divorced or separated mothers who against all odds struggle to raise their kids.

@MBJ,
All i said was that i advise women who are separated from their spouse not to be too proud to collect funds from their husband if he offers to render any help to the kids. My reason is that the kids in the future are likely to forgive their dad and then he begins to reap where he did not sow.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by blacklion(m): 4:42pm On Mar 28, 2012
ifyalways: Much ado about nothing.Don't know why things are hard(well,except one thing) in marriages these days.

[b]Who are the husband's family that are insisting on celebrating the union in the dad's place?[/b]what is the husband(to be) position?This is how it starts oh,extended family pokenosing into matters,making simple things complicated for the new couple and sowing early seeds of discord.

This is an issue that should be agreed on by the young couple,then they convey their decision to both families.

The way forward now is to pick a neutral venue. The girl goes home to calm her mom,the boy goes to his people to tell and invite them to the new avenue and both goes to the the girls dad to invite him to the new venue.Shikena.

If the groom is from a traditionally minded Igbo family (as I suspect) then yes, they do actually have EVERY right under Igbo customary law to insist that the traditional marriage take place at bride's father's compound to save themselves from shame. Unlike some other ethnic groups, Igbo customary law is extremely rigid about illegitimacy; So the groom's family are probably unhappy already that their son is marrying a bastard and don't want the stigma compounded by a traditional wedding ceremony hosted by the bride's mother's family.

Now the father may be a totally useless, irresponsible jerk who never paid her mother's dowry or took care of his kids but as long as he is her publicly known or acknowledged father, then he or his senior male relative must give out the bride in marriage and the ceremony must take place at his compound or at a location of his or his male kin's choice. This is the only way the groom's family can prove to the world that their son is not marrying a woman with no known father i.e. yes she may have been born a bastard but she has a publicly known father, her mother was not a harlot who got pregnant by an unknown customer. In the Igbo customary law, its already bad enough that the bride was born out of wedlock since the father never paid her mother's dowry; for the bride to now get married at her mother's place is like officially proclaiming her bastardy to the whole world i.e. she has no known father hence the ceremony had to take place in her mother's compound. So most traditionally minded Igbo families would do exactly what the groom's family is doing here.

The compromise solution I can see here is for the traditional marriage to be held at the home or compound of a male relative of her father in an urban area accessible and acceptable to the bride's mother and father e.g. Enugu, Owerri, PH or even Lagos or Abuja. The father or his designated representative (usually a senior male relative) should be present to perform the traditional rites and receive her dowry. This should satisfy all sides and fulfill all righteousness in terms of Igbo customary law.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by blacklion(m): 4:52pm On Mar 28, 2012
uche13: Thank you everyone jare.
I am giving any bit of advice to someone so strong headed. Can you just imagine, i was able to get the whole story and it down right disgusts me.

Firstly, this girl is the first and prior to her parents having issues, she was very close to her dad. When her dad abandoned them, she woke up one day and said she was going to look for her dad. She was abt 14 then. She was successful in her bid and against our advice moved in with his family. She know last there one month sef before running to her mum and complaining of her step mum maltreating her.

Now seven years later, she is acting so silly. What transpired is that after her fiancee told her that his people said it is an abomination to do the wedding in her mum's place, she told her mum and called her dad secretly. The mum got a call one day after 7 yrs from her "husband". After series of exchange of hate mails between the two of them, the girl quarreled with the mum and had the guts to tell her that she wants her to go through what she the mum went through.

To cut the story short, she(daughter) deleted her father's name from the mum's phone, told him her mum is being difficult, went ahead and presented the traditional wedding list to the father without even showing the mum and has now moved out of the house.

very sillly and immature daughter. May God help divorced or separated mothers who against all odds struggle to raise their kids.

@MBJ,
All i said was that i advise women who are separated from their spouse not to be too proud to collect funds from their husband if he offers to render any help to the kids. My reason is that the kids in the future are likely to forgive their dad and then he begins to reap where he did not sow.

Uche,

Life is not fair most times. I have an aunt who went through a similar situation of abandonment by her husband - though she was legally married. But at the end, she had to put the daughter's interest first and give way on the daughter's traditional wedding at the dad's compound. If your aunt is an Igbo woman and she knows the customary law concerning marriage as a well-brought up Igbo woman should, then she knows what is expected and what to do. She should put aside her pain and hurt over the maltreatment by her kids' father and think of what is best for her daughter.Its painful indeed and very unfair but this is the harsh reality of the Igbo culture when it comes to marriage ceremony.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by blacklion(m): 5:00pm On Mar 28, 2012
And a last nugget for some ladies with boiling blood etc grin grin

Mark my words - you women are often your own worst enemies. If this girl takes your advice and insists on the traditional marriage taking place at the mother's place, I can guarantee you my last dime that it will be the young husband's female relatives (not even the males) who will rise up 2-3 years from now to insult and humiliate the wife that she was not properly married according to Igbo customary law because the ceremony took place at her mother's place and therefore her own kids are illegitimate just as she was born an illegitimate child.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by uche13: 5:08pm On Mar 28, 2012
@Blacklion,

Thank you. I'm actually advocating for a compromise. A wise child can get whatever he/she wants from the mother. Of course, it is wise for the wedding to be don't in the father's place or conducted by his family if done in Lag. All the daughter needed to do was to go talk to the mum, soothe her, stroke her ego, sit on her laps, recount all the sacrifices she made for the kids and tell her this is one big sacrifice she needs to make just to fulfill all righteousness. The woman is not hard-hearted and would have simple budged. But no! she insulted the mum, told her father her mum is making things difficult for her, told the mum that she wants her to go through what she went through, had the guts to tell the mum that she is sure she is not her biological mum and has moved out of the house to maybe the guys house. Maybe the guys mum would come do omugwo for her. pschewwww.

The worst thing to ever to is to make your husband no you are not on talking terms with your mum and family. He knows you have no support and would most likely use it to his advantage. The next thing one would see is a post like this "Husband is maltreating me and i have no one to turn to" bla bla bla.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by ronkebp(f): 8:40pm On Mar 28, 2012
uche13: Thank you everyone jare.

@MBJ,

My dear, i ahd not read this before i sensed that, that girl is foolish, and really what you sow, you will reap. I don't pray for problems in her marraige, but by the time she starts to see wehn!!! it is this her mother she will run to.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by Nekai(f): 9:21pm On Mar 28, 2012
If my future husband's tradition means that the wedding must be at my father's house, then so be it. Deadbeat Dad wants to finally step up after years of leaving me high and dry, I won't complain.

However, I would INSIST that my mother must attend. If this girl is willing to toss her mother to the side so easily then she is sending her future husband a strong message.

He already knows she has a father that is unreliable, and therefore not an important person to consider or consult. Now she is showing him that her mother is irrelevant as well. It's not a good thing to be viewed as a stand-alone individual, because the relationship and level of respect a husband has for the in-laws can influence the way he treats his wife and marriage.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by Nobody: 7:41am On Mar 29, 2012
@Uche13
from your post we can clearly understand that this girl LOVES HER FATHER, so the faster everyone understands that, the easier they will resolve this issue. her mum is against her father and wants her daughter to hate him just like she does, but she DOESNT....... and therefore her move is FULLY UNDERSTANDABLE!

the minute daughter got the news from her in law, she told her mother AND CALLED HER DAD, what else would you expect her to do? duh! since she knew fully well that her mother wasnt going to call him, she asked him to call her to "sort things out about the wedding", and any loving mother would have restrained herself and play it cool, FOR THE SAKE OF HER DAUGHTER!

the daughter was FORCED by her mother to make an important decision (aka start planning the wedding without her), as we can clearly see that the mother was NOT willing to have the wedding at the father's place. so what did you expect the daughter to do? cancel wedding plans because mother is putting HER narrow minded selfish issues in the way of her daughter's big day?!

her mum is just trying to use her children to side with her in her hatred for the dad. such women are the worst of you lot out there (aka the womankind). IMHO, she is no better than the sick parents teaching their kids to hate blacks, g[b]a[/b]ys or people of different religious background etc.

@RonkeBp
from Uche's post, what more could daughter have done? she tried but mother was just too stubborn, so she removed her completely from wedding proceedings till her mum comes back to her damn senses. well done!
Re: Advice Needed Please! by shilling(f): 10:13am On Mar 29, 2012
This story makes me sick to my stomach!

My biological dad (whom I was extremely close to before their divorce) also walked out on us, leaving my mum with 4 kids. My mum also had high bp, etc and had to go on meds. However, she is now healthy and happy (thank God!). I am not married, and do not live in Nigeria but I do understand culture and trad. That being said, assuming I choose to get married in Naija, there is no way on earth I will have my wedding in my dad's place. Her future in-laws are ridic, and this is a huge red flag that should indicate what is to come when they get married.

I seriously cannot think of a worse way to embarrass my mum. Just remembering my mum cry for the first time, which happened many times later won't let me do something so wicked to my mum. Dang, I am so disgusted right now.
Re: Advice Needed Please! by Busybody2(f): 11:30am On Mar 29, 2012
Major red flag that should not be swept under the carpet because of "one silly day" that does not guarantee that the marriage itself would work.

Dearest daughter-in-law, you are a bastard who is beneath us, and because of our worries concerning what the society would say, we have to cover your shame by insisting you get married where we command you, even if you have to sell your soul to the devil, otherwise you cannot marry our son whom the sun shines outta his ar'se.

And after that wedding, every problem in Nigeria would dissappear, every tribe would start getting along with each other, child slavery would be eradicated, Nigeria would join the league of the G8 and attain overnight first world status. . .
Re: Advice Needed Please! by Analytical(m): 11:40am On Mar 29, 2012
So angry right now...

What I would have said is made nonsense by the fact that she is heavily pregnant, amidst so much turmoil. What a way to start what seems a bumpy married journey already! sad

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help A Newly Wedded Couple / The Sad Lives Of Single Mothers With Sons / Is She Cheating On Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.