Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,162 members, 7,835,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? (8550 Views)

Christian Association Of Nigeria (CAN) Denies N7b Bribery Allegation / Can Nigeria Actually Get Better? You Are Being Deceived! / Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by Nobody: 1:02am On Apr 06, 2012
NRI PRIEST: All you need to do in order to find out if Nigeria will get better is just to peruse throught the comments made by the supposed "educated" Nigerians on Nairaland and thats all you need; Bunch of hateful and tribalistic bums! They claimed they are educated but most of them have not the common sense nor wisdom to make a constructive and sensible arguements! Nigeria is a wicked Nation!

This okoro animal will forever disgrace his father's village. Are you not one of the most tribalistic bushbaies on NL?

Abeg, get a tissue and wipe your nose.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by khukhi(f): 1:04am On Apr 06, 2012
One thing I've learned is that Nigerians don't like to be told what to do!
I personally believe god helps those who take the action to assist themselves. The situation in Niger Is like praying to win the lottery and not buying a lottery ticket.
Y'll think ur leaders will wake up and decide to stop looting,..,?Never!
So why not remove them?

But one other thing that's holding you back is the internal division. Nigeria can get better. This is like asking if leaders are born. The answer is no they are not born,they're made.

Nigeria needs enthusiastic and passionate young people who can unite and fight for better leadership and unity for the country.

You have so so many graduates ... I don't understand what's holding y'll back.

Behavior can be changed, the people need to remain positive to keep going.

Mobilize yourselves and be the change you want to see. Be a leader, start the movement. Your people are so smart and so bright... You need to build the courage to do something about the future.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by Beaf: 1:04am On Apr 06, 2012
People like me will make Nigeria better (together or in pieces). It is destiny. cool
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by ACM10: 1:13am On Apr 06, 2012
vevcom media: I have been fortunate to see different countries. In nigeria, there is a common misconception that one day it will get better, one day this, one day that. I don't share that view, The truth is most people here don't even know what they are missing, they don't see the extent nigeria has become a failed state. One thing about we human beings in general is we like to hope and hope, and believe in the future, not our fault, but just the nature of man. Many people don't see how the developed counties are screwing with us everyday. Do you think our not having industries are just the fault of our leaders? Do you know the leaders are placed there by other powerful nation? There is the popular lady here from IMF, collecting awards abroad, yet people here suffer with her policies.

You also go to churches, and see people praying for nigeria, yet many fail to see that even the religious institution of us "closing eyes and praying" was brought about by the colonial masters. They on the other hand, sit and critically examine their social issues. Most of those social issues have been dumped on us. In truth it's a vicious circle, and it is almost impossible for nigeria, and many other 3rd world countries to actually get better. They need us suffering so they can enjoy a life of luxury (Someone has to do the dirty work).

Hopefully (i know, but what can i do, but hope also), one day, we will have good leaders who are strong enough to fight against their exploitation policies.
Interested in your views.

I concur with the post above.
Let me quickly add to your comment. Nigeria will not get better. As a matter of fact, Nigeria will get worse. Every nation that makes progress shares 3 things in common. They are:

1. Goals: An objective purpose towards which an endeavour is directed.

2. Target: How you to achieve your goals.

3. Indicator: Measurable pointers that signals whether you are moving in the right direction to achieve your goals.

Nigeria lacks the three. Therefore things are bound to go from bad to worse. No amount of prayer will rescue Nigeria. Nigeria needs fundamental restructuring work. We set goals everyday without appropriate targets and indicators. With every regime comes a change in policy. There is lack of continuation. There is lack of oversight. Since there is no sustenace of good policy, we are bound to rise higher on the failed state index till the whole country collapse.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by khukhi(f): 1:18am On Apr 06, 2012
torkaka:
no offense but my guy, if you want to step into the 21st century and your better half is pulling you towards the 17th century how do you hope to move forward? how do you move forward when some sees the damming effect of polio but yet refuses vaccination in the name of religion? how do you move forward when people have now decided western education is bad? how do you move forward when the best for the job takes a back sit while the one qouta favours takes the front sit? how do you move forward when street begging is considered the right thing? how do you move forward when some one has no regard for another who farms on he's property cause he prefers to destroy it in the name of grazing? how do you move forward when your neighbour from birth is taught to consider you an infidel?

How do you move forward when one refuses to have yellow fever shots before travelling . grin grin grin
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by OneNaira6: 5:24am On Apr 06, 2012
buzugee: yeah when pigs fly

GBAM!!!!!

Nigeria getting better is as possible as I winning a trillion dollars.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by marvel10: 8:28am On Apr 06, 2012
Of course it can get better. You weren't specific in what areas you are wishing it to get better. It has gotten better in the Telecoms sector and there are numerous small to medium sized companies that do well despite the crippling infrastructure.
Socially and morally, there are huge declines, if you look over the last 10 years, let alone 30 years. The Medical and Education sectors are also in a rut. That can get better with a Fashola type. Change need not take 1m people, just the right person, the right backer and the support.
In the interim, let us support those who do a good job. Nigerians are mean these days, they celebrate a successful persons fall and actually look forward to it. Religion has done more harm than good so all in all, it is getting better.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by vevcommedia(m): 8:39am On Apr 06, 2012
khukhi: One thing I've learned is that Nigerians don't like to be told what to do!
I personally believe god helps those who take the action to assist themselves. The situation in Niger Is like praying to win the lottery and not buying a lottery ticket.
Y'll think ur leaders will wake up and decide to stop looting,..,?Never!
So why not remove them?

But one other thing that's holding you back is the internal division. Nigeria can get better. This is like asking if leaders are born. The answer is no they are not born,they're made.

Nigeria needs enthusiastic and passionate young people who can unite and fight for better leadership and unity for the country.

You have so so many graduates ... I don't understand what's holding y'll back.

Behavior can be changed, the people need to remain positive to keep going.

Mobilize yourselves and be the change you want to see. Be a leader, start the movement. Your people are so smart and so bright... You need to build the courage to do something about the future.

1st line in bold. Having many graduates is not the issue. Having opportunities to make something of their life is what's needed. Having infrastructure, having a health care plan, having a pension plan. having an industry that actually produces something, - serious something, at least one thing, or where do you want those graduates to work, earn money, become strong men in the community, further their knowledge, change their country? Not one where you fear for your life, every weekend, you need to go for a revival camp as you fear next month might be your last/ relieve the amount of stress - don't forget, relaxation spots are few and priced too high.... i think that's enough

2nd line in bold. That is what i call a la la la line. Something told and retold , until people believe that change is easily achievable. OK, you know what, i will pretend what you say is correct. So teenager A believes he can become a big man one, day, goes to school, studies hard, gets a good job, rises little by little. The police/armed robbers/cultists/ bad roads/ fake drugs fail to get him. He becomes a very successful businessman. He joins politics. He has good intentions of educating his people and providing for them. Finally after a long campaign he gets into the presidential office. He is shocked to see how corrupt the whole thing is - how everyone is stealing/looting the country dry.

He is approached by some of the men who have been in politics for a long time. They tell him, he has to follow so and so policies, to continue the looting. He himself will be made rich beyond his dreams. he thinks about joining the looters says no, begins fighting them, changing policies here and there, forcing everyone to work in a straight line. Yes he is doing a good job. What do you think western democracies are thinking? Do you think they want the economy working? I mean, if we can refine our own oil/produce a lot of food and goods, are we going to buy from them? what will happen to their economy? who will they sell their goods to? the next thing that will happen is suddenly there will be a coup d'etat or that man will be killed.

Think my story is fantasy? Just research nigeria's past leaders, and why some of them were bumped out of government.
And when you are done. go to Venezuela research too. Hint: they also have oil, and leaders who wanted to change the country
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by vevcommedia(m): 8:57am On Apr 06, 2012
marvel10: Of course it can get better. You weren't specific in what areas you are wishing it to get better. It has gotten better in the Telecoms sector and there are numerous small to medium sized companies that do well despite the crippling infrastructure.
Socially and morally, there are huge declines, if you look over the last 10 years, let alone 30 years. The Medical and Education sectors are also in a rut. That can get better with a Fashola type. Change need not take 1m people, just the right person, the right backer and the support.
In the interim, let us support those who do a good job. Nigerians are mean these days, they celebrate a successful persons fall and actually look forward to it. Religion has done more harm than good so all in all, it is getting better.

Yes telecoms is better, that is what i call something little to make people calm. For knowledge on what is possible with all the oil money, i say again, go to UAE, Kuwait, see what's possible.
However note this, Many foreigners live in Lagos. Have you ever seen where Foreigners stay in Nigeria and that region was underdeveloped. think about it. They also need comfort here. Generators, shoprites, good hospitals etc. Or don't you know if most of the white people lived in kebbi state, there will be huge improvements there. Think of ikoyi, V.I., where they live, have they ever being bad areas? Abuja, Port Harcourt. Hell, when they were even building rail networks in the old republic, they built only to cities where they can get their goods, and have them transported to lagos for shipment abroad. the rest of the country wasn't invested in. enough said here.

You say the Fashola type, yes good point. Fashola fights so many battles just for the changes he is getting. He is also lucky that lagos is a highly educated region. However lagos is not nigeria. In many other parts of the country, nothing like that is going on. the people don't know their rights and nothing is being done. If a very educated man goes to that region and tries to change it, once he is not from that. Due to cultural differences, only a man from a region can govern it. fashola can't go to the north or east and try to change it. Their leaders won't bother to change it, and importantly the people won't complain. The west is a bit different in culture. People in the west don't respect money that much. So a man who steals is looked down upon. Not so in other parts, people are happy if a ruler provides them food daily. These are all cultural differences.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by PaulJohn1: 10:03am On Apr 06, 2012
Yes, I believe nigeria can get better. People complain about the government, we say lot of things about the government been greedy, corrupt and the rest. But i'll like us to ask ourselves this: 'are we going to do what right when we have the power in our hands'.

Definately, our leaders we're complaining about would have once been in our position, complaining about the government then. And I believe one day we that are complaining today would be the one managing the country, are we going to do what's really right in our own time?
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by otondo55: 10:14am On Apr 06, 2012
am not seeing that with the nature of things in that nation....prayer without good work is dead indeed. People have to stand up for what they believe, a call for National Sovereignty of the nation is of most important, lets stop deceiving our selves as one nation. Lets stand and speak for the truth, how things should be done in the nation.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by Sike(m): 10:25am On Apr 06, 2012
LaiLai!
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by manmustwac(m): 11:32am On Apr 06, 2012
As long as the masses keep waiting for some invisible guy in the sky to come down and solve the country's problems, instead of taking the bull by the horn and doing it themselves Nigeria will NEVER EVER get better cry cry
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by Waduku(m): 11:46am On Apr 06, 2012
Frankly,am not a pessimist,but I find it quite difficult with unfolding events to believe in the betterment of this failing counrty,d country has all it takes to be great,but it keeps dwindling with obvious signs of stagnation and exploitation by the elites that are bent on taking the country to his kneel,with failing standards in all facet,with corrupton as a norm.
Every day we are faced with new form of thieving strategy and these incorrigible elememts are celebrated and respected by the impoverished populace.Nigeria pride to be giant of Africans by population size and not by any economic index,quite religious from both sides of the divide;yet very corrupt with dead conscience.Religious fanaticsm amounts to mere deception if the preached fate does not transcend to your dealings.Most often, appointment and job placement are consider base on ethnic and religious senitiment.Would nt want to be caught up in the web of analyzing the paralysis of this supposed great country.The only way Nig can be better;is when there is total REVOLUTION[anihilation] of these corrupt personnel that have built an empire of wealth for thier childrens,also for every new born child;it should be whisper to his ear on daily bases;YOU MUST NOT BE CORRUPT as this has been the bane of why the generation before failed,also Ethics and Value with empahasis on corruption should be introduce in the academic curriculum from eleementry up to the terttiary level in respective of ur choosen feild.That way we can chart a bearing of direction.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by olajide8(m): 12:42pm On Apr 06, 2012
Beaf: People like me will make Nigeria better (together or in pieces). It is destiny. cool
Beef loves the heat! with all your previous point of views on GEJ emba nunuu! I doubt you would want to keep nigeria united even when the solution is very easy and simple good & honest governance
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by belluci(f): 12:48pm On Apr 06, 2012
**singing*** Nigeria go survive ,Africa go survive.... Nigerians are survivors .. @ op, Nigeria can get beta without the recycled leaders in place. Meaning new set of leaders who will not be attracted to office because of the juicy offers of office (of course a drastic slash in the exisiting remuneration) and a reorientation of the minds of the surviving majority. because honestly an average Nigerian is corrupt. ....
If the above is possible then Nigeria CAN actually get better.
My own humble view
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by olajide8(m): 2:05pm On Apr 06, 2012
BUSH MAN: embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassednigeria will never get better, until the country is split into three
Left to you and this current generation including I myself, that source for the easy way out, nigeria no fit better lailai, but I think we should bear something in mind the development in some areas of this country is not as a result of us, as most of us here just heard that this and that policy was enacted by the govt., of the day then, and by those that lead these areas in the past, AWOLOWO, et al, look at a picture I would post below and ask this question can nigeria ever be as clean neat as this? Where as nigerians stay in this same vicinity and they fit in well, What ever your response is would determine if you and I want to make nigeria better and that is doing It the hard way together.

Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by cap28: 2:17pm On Apr 06, 2012
Nigeria can get better but only if all nigerians from all walks of life unite against our common enemy the western nations and their errand boys aka the nigerian elite. Any attempt to try and move nigeria forward without removing these two huge obstacles will end in failure. The igbos tried it durring the civil war and sustained 3 million casualties this is why the only way to defeat this menace is for all nigerians to unite across tribe and religion
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by greatlee(m): 6:01pm On Apr 06, 2012
Nigeria to get better? NO WAY! Unless the Jerry Rawlings formula is applied
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by otokx(m): 7:22pm On Apr 06, 2012
Doubts have begun to enter my mind; the mentality of the people is so bad.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by LogicMind: 7:50pm On Apr 06, 2012
nigeria must divide to get better.

i don't throw litter on the roads in my town and surrounding villages, but elsewhere i don't really care.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by Beaf: 8:09pm On Apr 06, 2012
olajide_07:
Beef loves the heat! with all your previous point of views on GEJ emba nunuu! I doubt you would want to keep nigeria united even when the solution is very easy and simple good & honest governance

Dude, I said it is in my destiny to make Nigeria better (together or in pieces), and you bera believe it. cool
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by GboyegaD(m): 9:07pm On Apr 06, 2012
iiiyyyk:

you dont realy know how bad nigeria is untill you leave the shores of nigeria to one of this developed countries.

4 months ago, God gave me the privilege to come to UK after my service.

i dont want to mention infrastructure, cos we might never reach their level. what marvels me most is the commitment of their leaders towards the welfare of each of their citizen. we neeed to come here and learn what governance is all about. every day i ask my self what is wrong with african leaders.

i dont expect naija to be as developed as uk, but if we continue with this national structure and type of leaders, things will only get worse in nigeria.

I feel you on this. The level of backwardness in Nigeria is so great that so many thing would change for Nigeria to get any better. Besides the government caring for theri citizens in developed countries, thei citizens themselves are sincere towards the purpose of wanting a good governance unlike ours where deceit reigns.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by GboyegaD(m): 9:20pm On Apr 06, 2012
marvel10: Of course it can get better. You weren't specific in what areas you are wishing it to get better. It has gotten better in the Telecoms sector and there are numerous small to medium sized companies that do well despite the crippling infrastructure.

One of the many self deciets we live by. Has the telecom sector become truly efficient as it should be with the continuous network failure we experience? Besides, the cost of using telecoms in Nigeria seems high and it is very gar from what it should be to say it is really better.
As for your postulation on Fasola, I am sorry I still haven't really see much in what he has done when compared to the money Lagos State generates. At first I loved him but later I realised I chose of my self will to be blindfolded to truth because he hasn't really done as much as we praise him. Fasola is one of the worst governors for all I care who has made the cost of higher education go up beyond what the citizens can afford yet, there are no scholarship schemes to help the brighter ones get this education. Nigeria keeps growing from worse to worst and the only phase in which indices shows it is getting better is when you compare, you notice that those in governance currently loot the treasury than in the past and also, our population growth rate is really on the rise.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by achukwunet(f): 9:33pm On Apr 06, 2012
Dearies of course Nigeria can get better... once we fix the obvious problems. Corruption and crooked politicians are the 1st that need to be removed. Once that is settled, we move onto other issues like lighting, water, education, pollution (yes it matters) and other important things. The most important, yet the government is too busy worrying over gays and lesbians
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by billyG(m): 10:00pm On Apr 06, 2012
yea! nigeria will get better if when birds smokes cigerretes and monkey sniffs snuff.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by olumidazz: 11:26pm On Apr 06, 2012
Well for me Nigeria has been in reverse ever since babangida was forced out, and believe it or not this country will never ever ever ever ever ever ever, I repeat never ever ever ever ever get better until we adopt a political system perculair to us. And not Until we get rid of this militarised democracy and destroy its existing structures e.I the national assembly, house of assembly, and a host of other illegal establishments brought to life by corruption, nepotism, tribalism globilization {the lie of the west} nigeria will not enter gear. The only option to put nigeria in gear is the option of the SNC.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by prettyboi1(m): 12:00am On Apr 07, 2012
kpozite: Hope is an amazing emotion that keeps life going without life will loose many if not all it's meaning. It is an inherent characteristic of man everywhere but here in Nigeria the hope here is for individual success or breakthrough whatever becomes of the country is not an average Nigerian's business. And I think that is the root of our problems individual selfishness and greed to the detriment of other citizens and the country. Nigeria need not change,(change to what if I may ask) it is we the citizenry who need to change our mindset
SIMPLE.....THIS IS THE BEGINNING & THE END TO THIS QUESTION.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by prettyboi1(m): 12:11am On Apr 07, 2012
1. Also,Nigeria will get better when we believe in ourselves & realize the country is only a mirror effect of our individual lives I.e. we have to change ourselves from our individual lives before it reflects at national level.
2. We need to get away from this so called "democracy" & find a system of government peculiar to us as a people & our cultural heritage. Afterall,long before colonialism, history has it that many African countries & empires WERE DOING VERY VERY WELL.
3. We need to break away from the chains of the west...mentally,physically,governmentally etc & start trying to compete with them in every sense rather than always looking up to them like they're some kind of "gods."
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by prettyboi1(m): 12:17am On Apr 07, 2012
cap28: Nigeria can get better but only if all nigerians from all walks of life unite against our common enemy the western nations and their errand boys aka the nigerian elite. Any attempt to try and move nigeria forward without removing these two huge obstacles will end in failure. The igbos tried it durring the civil war and sustained 3 million casualties this is why the only way to defeat this menace is for all nigerians to unite across tribe and religion

cap28...well said,you're always on point. Thank God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kenyan Cartoonist Mocked And Ridiculed Jonathan With Boko Haram.. / Did Anyone Notice This Didn't Happen This December / FEC Approves ₦2.1 Billion For Hostels, Stadium Projects In UNIZIK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.