Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! (19674 Views)

A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly / The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. / Who Are The Most Educated Nigerians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by cap28: 9:04am On Apr 08, 2012
Cheikh your analysis of the british educational system is spot on many negroes like sefago are so mesmerised by the names oxford and cambridge tht they hve nevr for once stopped to research the historic backgrd of these institutions for eg why were they establshd how r they funded who funds them. Britain operates one of the most racist and elitist educational systems in the world places liike oxford and cambridge r set up to perpetuate the rabid class system in this country, do u thk its a coincidence tht all the top govt jobs are occupied by oxbridge alumni ? Oxford is a finishing schl for the british elite a few rich foreigners r allowed in frm time to time but they tend to go back to their country's of origin to wrk for daddy.

Therefore uve got to laugh at the likes of sefago who actuaally think those places were set up for the benefit of people who look like him. Many of the professors at these so called elite institutions believe tht0 africns r members of an inferior race why then wld u want to be taught by pple with such beliefs how wld u view ur race after 4 years of this kind of abuse? This is why the
majority of africns who graduate frm these kind of colleges are virtually useless to their own race. Okonjo iweala is a prime example. Africns r only useful to europeans wen they r being used to destroy their own pple as in the case of oknjo iweala or where they are being used as cheap labour many dumb negroes still hvnt understood this basic fact.

1 Like

Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Anvaller: 9:35am On Apr 08, 2012
analryder:

the whole of you including yourself in such survey and getting proud about it are all fools...soon it will be dawned on you to realise that where ever you are as long as its not your home, you will always take what they give to you...and for you to be complaining about been credited like the asians, then u are a bigger fool...cos even a blind deaf and dumb man knows how the asians have been impacting developments in their countries and communities. who will give you respect when all u do is to study there and at the end refuse to go back home..or even if u are staying there make the best of it...but instead u prefer staying to fight for menial jobs and be wanting them to respect you just like that...and when u go back to nigeria, u wont try to calm down but be bragging all out as if you own the poor country u left nothing good for not even a reputation. Stop all these rubbish about being credited over there and make the best of urself and for people around you...first u should see how the asians have been setting up companies and be employing themselves out there. For u,...u'll want to have all to yourself, big names, titles etc and at the end level zero

While I do not want to call u a HATER because u might actually mean what u wrote in honest sense but try not look like one. The point is, u are getting things wrong. I know loads of Asians who are not willing to go back home, I even laugh when some ppl are making reference to Indians. From my experience and observations so far, Indians, Chinese, Pakistanis, Indonesians etc are the major migrants, not we Nigerians and even the whole of Africa at least if compared to them.

U would be wrong again to think that the reason China and India are growing is because the group abroad are going back to develop the countries... Nah! misconception!!! they have their homegrown technology and in most cases, they even try to limit interaction with the West as much as possible while they are developing their technologies.

In basic principle of economics, ppl migrate to where the jobs are, the only Asians going back home are those who are very sure of a job at home. I don't understand most of u trying to blame Nigerians abroad for Nigeria's woes, what magic would one perform in a political environment where the politicians are as corrupt and as deadly as an archetypal drug cabal? Let's say not necessarily politics but one can also do business, so which business? U would run which business in an environment that is not conducive for running business? U need to understand what u are talking about and imagine if u were the one, would you go gamble with ur money where there is no security of anything? remember that money earned abroad is hard earned not through corruption or just sitting down in an office doing almost nothing and collecting very fat salary and benefits.

So let Nebeuwe rejoice if that is what makes him/her happy. We can only advise such ppl to look for possible windows of business or whatever opportunity in Nigeria because one can never tell but u shouldn't think it shoud be a must for them to go back home. No, not at all.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by igbo2011(m): 11:25am On Apr 08, 2012
cap28:

Thanx guys how do u email seun direct to get him to unblock?
All I have access to r these nl email addresses that nevr respond to ur queries

You can find him on twitter. Twitter search seun nairaland. Or seun osinawa (something like that) and ask him. Or email like him as a friend on nairaland and email him from here

Also you are right. About harvard cambride and oxford. Those schools serve the caucasian race not the black race. They make you look down on your own people and turn you into a european. All of our degrees don't mean anything unless we are building nigeria.

All we need is oinfrastructure and we can start up great businesses.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Ufeolorun(m): 12:09pm On Apr 08, 2012
We don't need to re-invent the wheel we can tweak it like the Chinese are doing but we must first build a nation.We have capacity like everybody else but what we do not have is a coordinated structures fully guarded by few influential minority who prolly will be dictators,THE INFLUENTIAL MINORITY WE HAVE BEEN SADDLED WITH ARE SEXUALLY PERVERTED,MORBIDLY HEDONISTIC MIDDLE AGED LOUTS.I say this cos most of the countries we now call developed had once in their life an authoritarian system that enforced compliance and harmony then they graduated to Democracy,thats why i laugh whenever the West calls Chinese government totalitarian.China will never allow democracy for years to come cos they know their success right now and in the future is heavily dependent on sovereign ideological coherence(a proper country)
As long as 'iroju raye'(confusion) pervades our land creative thinking can never happen
sad
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by cheikh: 1:12pm On Apr 08, 2012
Katsumoto
You are partly correct in that most of the UK spaces at Oxbridge go to white students but that is mainly in certain disciplines such as law, literature, and history. Most science positions go to foreign students and home students who 'conform'. To conform, you must have attended a private or grammar school, played rugby, cricket, etc. If you are some brainy black kid from Islington or chalk farm, then you are unlikely to get an interview. It is difficult to get an interview if all you are relying on are your grades. If grades only, then they must be so good that you are mentioned in the dailies. As a home student, you must bring other abilities to the table because there are too many applicants. That doesn't hold for foreign students.

^^ Bro you're very much on point. Although I might disagree a little with the mention of[b] Islington [/b]and[b] Chalk Farm [/b]as they are not exactly [b]typical [/b]of the usual relative inner city areas like Southwark(Peckham), Tottenham or Hackney. Islington and Chalk farm are predominantly populated by fairly well heeled educated middle class whites usually with very good university education. For some reasons not quite clear to me most lecturers/academics and writers reside in these two places. Perhaps it's a case of "birds of the same feather flock together" or "water seeking its level" grin grin. Nevertheless your analysis of the inherently elitist British educational system is very correct.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by daylae(m): 2:00pm On Apr 08, 2012
It is understandatble for africans wanting to clinge to getting higher degrees in the US so as to attain and maintain a respectable status in a society where they are considered ALMOST secondary(after the "whites-supremos",prefared latinos and asians). It might just be an edge,or at least a way of ensuring survival. undecided
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by IYANGBALI: 2:32pm On Apr 08, 2012
if boko haram hear this they would head to america to finish them,they do not like western education
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Nobody: 6:02am On Apr 09, 2012
Dede1:

How is bottom?

Anyway, Dayolodo and Ekiti Ikebe are trolls who believed this rubbish “I think most Nigerians who come to the US are middle class at the minimum” to be true. It is either you are drunk or malnourished to the point of confusion. Where did fools such as you and Dayolodo get the whiff of middle class strata in Nigeria?

You're surely smoking something highly toxic. Why would I think so when we have some of your brothers dealing drugs here to get to middle class?
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by analryder: 11:57am On Apr 09, 2012
Anvaller:

While I do not want to call u a HATER because u might actually mean what u wrote in honest sense but try not look like one. The point is, u are getting things wrong. I know loads of Asians who are not willing to go back home, I even laugh when some ppl are making reference to Indians. From my experience and observations so far, Indians, Chinese, Pakistanis, Indonesians etc are the major migrants, not we Nigerians and even the whole of Africa at least if compared to them.

U would be wrong again to think that the reason China and India are growing is because the group abroad are going back to develop the countries... Nah! misconception!!! they have their homegrown technology and in most cases, they even try to limit interaction with the West as much as possible while they are developing their technologies.

In basic principle of economics, ppl migrate to where the jobs are, the only Asians going back home are those who are very sure of a job at home. I don't understand most of u trying to blame Nigerians abroad for Nigeria's woes, what magic would one perform in a political environment where the politicians are as corrupt and as deadly as an archetypal drug cabal? Let's say not necessarily politics but one can also do business, so which business? U would run which business in an environment that is not conducive for running business? U need to understand what u are talking about and imagine if u were the one, would you go gamble with ur money where there is no security of anything? remember that money earned abroad is hard earned not through corruption or just sitting down in an office doing almost nothing and collecting very fat salary and benefits.

So let Nebeuwe rejoice if that is what makes him/her happy. We can only advise such ppl to look for possible windows of business or whatever opportunity in Nigeria because one can never tell but u shouldn't think it shoud be a must for them to go back home. No, not at all.

@Anvaller and Nebeuwe...please am sorry, am not a HATER dont be ofended and forgive me for my rants! its just that i get so fed up by some so called surveys that people do and we all jubilate and dance to it and at the end we start our usual complains about racism, culture, nationalism etc!. One thing i do know for sure is that what we have as a problem no matter how bad at home if we dont take care of it ourselves no one's gonna take care of it in the best way for us. As we all claim to be disrespected in certain environments even with our huge piles of degrees, it will always continue if we as black african dont show respect and love for each other like others no one would ever value us. Just as you said concerning the country's corrupt situation, still we are not lead by fools or illiterates...rather sufficient numbers of our leaders piled up degrees like the mentioned blacks in America. I have been to some places in the world...and I know how the people value each other with great love and respect. But ours as i said earlier has been Greed, even most educated people of our own race shower respects to themselves alone. when they come back home or where ever they are they never put their heads low or try to live a humble life to earn every bit of respect that can be associated to them. I went to Nigeria 2009 with the agric company i work with for a land to start an agric project as an agric engineer for a milk and corn plantation. Only to be blocked by some fools that calls themselves the assistant commissioner of agriculture and the commissioner himself asking me to see them with a N25million bribe first. The company was not only shocked but withdrew from there and the only Nepalese in my company had to take them home to set up a new branch there...as i tell you today i was really embarrassed having these kind of people as leaders in my own home land. And the most painful thing there was that both fools studied abroad with atleast Masters degrees each to the best of my knowledge. after telling them the importance of this company to our community they said that they know and am not the only one that has come with such stuff, still people are not able to buy corns, flours, starch and milk in affordable rates and when u cold afford this u start living like a king. At least some weeks ago a thread came up that one commissioner of health slapped a nurse on duty for what reasons because she didn't stand up for him when he came and that she was on phone who know wether she was talking to a patient...where as, that fool was a Doctor. Thats the kinda things people in order race see and loose value on us cos our people dont show dat in the first place.

To cut the long story short, there are countries that would be mentioned when u see someone for the first time and before u know it...u'll start developing respect for that person without having any knowledge of his educational background or social class just cos of the way his people treat him/her. And there are some when u hear them u just hiss...not until u get to know who the person is...So wat i would say is that we shouldn't blame everything on these people, we as a race we still need to do and protect our own for others to value or else u'll just be like a trash cos that how ur people have shown u to be cry cry cry
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by ferhyntorlah(f): 12:12pm On Apr 09, 2012
ekt_bear:

Well I'm not blaming anyone for leaving for greener pastures. But the issue is that it sucks for the country they've left behind. It is a case of the rich (the USA) getting richer and the poor (countries like Nigeria) getting poorer.

A lot of these talented folk immigrating to the US, I'd love to "kidnap" them and move them to my own homeland, if this were possible.

The country herself is not helping matters either. I have observed something about Nigeria, if someone wants to steer her in the right direction, some people wouldn't want that. Some prefer the country being messed up like this. Once they sense changes and improvements coming, they make sure the changes do not happen. Take PHCN for instance. I don give up on her(Nigeria) for now.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by willsman(m): 1:33pm On Apr 09, 2012
@CyberG, you said what Nigeria is here. And without the Federal Government of this country tackling some of the things you mentioned that are hindering this country from moving forward, Nigeria will still remain where the British left us in the name of 'ONE NIGERIA' despite the fact that we have foolishly spent 51 years together without real fundamental development in the land in all sectors. Some people may be against your contributions here but truth must be told and a naked one. Already black man hates truth as you said here. Nigeria have every things you can think of to develop Nigerians without traveling to the US for education but the alarming rate of corruption here is nothing to mingle with. The white must not say no to racial discrimination and US is the number 1 globally despite the fact that they give Nigerians visa lottery. Corruption is it here.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by opcomm1: 5:05pm On Apr 09, 2012
Those degree are meaningless.

Nigerians with their emphasis on degrees. It's not the degree that matters, but your personality and what you know and can do.

With all those degrees, what have they done? My brother has a PhD from Texas A & M but getting 90K USD per annum while his younger bro with just a BSc from Canada is banking over 150K CAD per annum. Mind you, Canadian dollars is worth more than US currently.

Fiuck all those advanced degrees and go get yourself some skill that sell. Or better, start your own startup. You will make more than being employed by silly Multinationals who don't have your best interest at heart.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by kobikwelu(m): 6:26am On Apr 10, 2012
addressing some of the issues raised.....

firstly, if you are an immigrant in the united states or any country in the west (and if by mistake you come b black man) the odds are highly stacked against you.....you have to prove your self at every point....even to an illiterate white man.....due to some backward negative stereotypes about how dum a black man can be you just have to prove your self....
also what do you expect!! you are an immigrant in a foreign land ...you dont think they would welcome you like jesus was welcomed into jerusalem?? the united states ecomomy is tanking fast and the locals are blaming immigrants, soooo dont expect to get choosen over a local when it comes to job interviews, except the job you are looking for is suited for internationals...

secondly....the general mindset is a black man is a black man...forget all that talk of african-american and african......that is why the news hardly get reported of our exploits....but of comfort is the fact that in schools here, you see nigerians, Ghanians, congolese and kenyans (like my school)doing their thing in highly specialized courses....(a thing of joy).

IMHO the key is ..DO NOT CONFORM TO THEIR STEREOTYPE ABOUT YOU AND THEN SLOWLY YOU WOULD BE ACCEPTED INTO POSITIONS OF TRUST......

by the way, i no blame them sef...we all have stereotypes about our fellow nigerians....soo who is without sin, cast the first stone
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by kobikwelu(m): 6:32am On Apr 10, 2012
Those degree are meaningless.

Nigerians with their emphasis on degrees. It's not the degree that matters, but your personality and what you know and can do.

With all those degrees, what have they done? [b]My brother has a PhD from Texas A & M but getting 90K USD per annum [/b]while his younger bro with just a BSc from Canada is banking over 150K CAD per annum. Mind you, Canadian dollars is worth more than US currently.

Fiuck all those advanced degrees and go get yourself some skill that sell. Or better, start your own startup. You will make more than being employed by silly Multinationals who don't have your best interest at heart.

errrrr..just asking about the boldened part...why would your brother jack book till PHD....only to go and work in a company....waste if you ask me.....

corroborating your arguement...the saying ...your degree is what you make of it....is very very true...ive seen guys with associate degree(nigeria's HND equivalent) go on to earn more that a BSC holder...its all about location, bargaining power and your skill set.......BE PROACTIVE IN SCHOOL.....PAY ATTENTION TO PROJECTS IN YOUR COURSES AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SOMETHING YOU CAN USE TO BARGAIN FOR A BETTER SALARY....ALSO BUILD UP YOUR CHARISMA AND OUTLOOK OF CONFIDENCE...THOSE STUFF WORKS WONDERS IN MANAGERS (and chicks tooo)
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by cheikh: 12:35pm On Apr 16, 2012
Ufeolorun
We don't need to re-invent the wheel we can tweak it like the Chinese are doing but we must first build a nation.We have capacity like everybody else [b]but what we do not have is a coordinated structures fully guarded by few influential minority who prolly will be dictators,THE INFLUENTIAL MINORITY WE HAVE BEEN SADDLED WITH ARE SEXUALLY PERVERTED,MORBIDLY HEDONISTIC MIDDLE AGED LOUTS.I say this cos most of the countries we now call developed had once in their life an authoritarian system that enforced compliance and harmony then they graduated to Democracy,[/b]thats why i laugh whenever the West calls Chinese government totalitarian.China will never allow democracy for years to come cos they know their success right now and in the future is heavily dependent on sovereign ideological coherence(a proper country)
As long as 'iroju raye'(confusion) pervades our land creative thinking can never happen

^^Gbam+ bolded wink We don't really have an intellectual(ideas) elite in Nigeria as such. We tend to group mere "story" tellers etc as intellectuals and monied political thugs/delinquents as elites. Our journalists are even worse if they can be called journalists at all shocked.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by cheikh: 2:00pm On Apr 16, 2012
PhysicsQED
I honestly hope more evidence can be found supporting the thesis that the roots of Greek civilization were mostly Afroasiatic.

^^ Actually the DNA of the Greek is Asiatic(middle-East) than European. The Europeans(north) because of their "Purposeful" sense of history/self, have to anchor their "civilisation" mission and sense of well being on something tangible and somewhat illustrious than on their traditional marauding "barbarian" past and perhaps present too hence Greek/Macedonian history is very handy indeed wink grin. Europeans are good story tellers and blessed with fantastic imagination too. They are very good at translating their thoughts and imagination into reality good or bad. They are not ashamed of mimickry/copycat. You only have to observe the Nazi(Hitler) era Artefacts etc grin.

Just for the record, I don't think Diop was really much of a "radical". He went to France to study physics under a famous white French physicist, married a white French woman, etc. He was mainly out to correct some erroneous definitions, distortions, and Eurocentric perceptions about Egypt, but the man himself does not seem to have personally been much of a political/social "radical".

^^ You are right but no one expects him to be "perfect" or "radical" either, otherwise the essence of his scholarship is lost. Diop was never a follower of "fashion" or what's in "vogue". Yes he married an Oyinbo but that was the norm amongst his generation of 'educated' french colonised Africans of his time. He is strictly a scientist/anthropologist not a political or social animal. He is very doggedly/thorough. His personality is very serious and unsmiling. African history as we know it today may never have been featured in the UNESCO history of the world but for his doggedness. As usual Africa would have been invisible without his scholarship/resoluteness. Ivan Setima and Chancellor Williams are what I'll classify as "populist" historians but it does not trivialise or undermine their work either. I hope you get my drift wink.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Gerrard59(m): 8:18pm On Jun 04, 2019
Interesting thread.... When Nairaland was lit.

In summary, as a race, we've a long way to go.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Gerrard59(m): 5:09pm On Jan 08, 2022
igbo2011:
@Shymemex and @cap28
Hotep my fellow Pan African brothers. I se you guys know your history. Frantz Fanon, Diop, Ivan Sertima, Drusilla Houston, JA Rogers, Basil Davidson, Martin Bernal, all Africans need to read their books to rid ourselves from the inferioirty complex that the race has. We must also control the TV and not let any negative images of blacks onTV. We must also control the image of God and not let a white jesus in any church around Africa. We must ban the white image of Jesus and change it to a black Jesus or we should rid the religion in total and go back to spirituality (withou the ritual stuff).

The physical slavery is over now it is the mental slavery. Most of the black race is enslaved in the mind. We goto Harvard, Columbia, Cambridge, Oxford and we can't even solve Africa's problems. It doesn't matter what we do in America or Europe, as long as Africa is he way it is then it is still bad. We need to WAKE UP!!! We need to rpresent Africa well. Buy Nigerian products clothes and when we are abroad weneed to be proud of where we came from. I started this site for a reason. www.nigerianedp.com so more people can use their money to build Nigeria. Like us on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nigerian-Economic-Development-Plan/278164788911610

Ngozi Okonjo is a harvard educated but that means NOTHING unless she builds Nigeria. Her style of economics fits the world Bank and serves the west NOT Africa. THe harvards and Cambridges serve European style and teach about EUROPE!! Read the book miseducation of a negro by Carter G WOodson it is a MASTER PIECE. Negros are miseducated worldwide not just America.

@Shymmex I know many people put you down for trying to be proud of where you are but you should still keep trying to convince Africans to unite. We need to before it is too late and we are exterminated. THis century is te most important in our history. THe EUropeans may exterminate us when they need to rebuild their ciites after LA, CIcago, NY Londn and Paris get nuked by RUssi or China. Beijing and Shanghai can get nuked as well and the Chinese might come for our land. Look what they did to TIbet, they can do it to us as well. We need to WAKE UP! in the next 15 years or it will be our end.

@
We must WAKE UP!!!

Must have been ment or some novel crack formula.

P.S. I'm pretty sure most of the Ndi intellectwats who whined on this thread campaigned and voted for Buhari in 2015. Just like one GenBuhari did only to regret that Buhari wasn't the right candidate.

Idiats!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Will Nigerian Universities Resume This Month? / Futo to Begins Sales Of 2014/2015 Post Ume Form / See Photos Of The Abandoned Burnt Room In MOREMI OAU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.