Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! (19659 Views)

A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly / The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. / Who Are The Most Educated Nigerians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Nobody: 10:35pm On Apr 06, 2012
PhysicsQED:

So if they're just there to suck on Britannia's t1ts, why do they have such an attitude? grin

Look at Sagamite! grin grin The guy is always on his high horse on here. Is that some sort of coping mechanism perhaps?

There was one thread where he was ranking universities from the UK and America into tiers and classifying graduates into this and that and getting into arguments about UK Nigerian grads vs. U.S. Nigerian grads and all this stuff. . .And Nigerians don't even get into Cambridge?

You know what empty barrels do.... cheesy cheesy

Sagamite is a clown with one vocab, I LOL every time I read his post. You can't blame him - he's a freshie, and traveling to the UK is probably a prize to him. cheesy cheesy cheesy

A few Nigerians went to Oxbridge but the percentage would probably be in the 0.00%1 range, and that's just being generous. I know a friend who went to Oxford, and two women who did their masters at Cambridge. Most of the Nigerians who graduated from Oxbridge are mostly international students.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Kilode1: 10:40pm On Apr 06, 2012
Do we have like SAT results or something for Nigerians vs. white Americans?

We don't have it. I can bet they won't release one soon. I'll be shocked if they do that.

Black is Black in Omerica, cheesy Which why I'm glad Nigerians are taking good advantage of the affirmative action laws in that country. they shouldn't lose both ways
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by PhysicsQED(m): 10:42pm On Apr 06, 2012
shymmex:
That's just one in hundreds, and her case was peculiar because her family has been all over the news for almost a decade now. The Imafidons are very popular out here.

Twenty-one Oxbridge colleges took no black students last year
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/dec/06/oxford-colleges-no-black-students

Oxbridge elitism: how many black and poor students go to Oxford and Cambridge?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/dec/07/oxbridge-elitism-oxford-cambridge-race-class

Whitewash: TWENTY-ONE Oxbridge colleges took no black students last year
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336414/Oxbridge-whitewash-21-colleges-accept-black-students-academic-year.html#ixzz1rIT03i00

Racism at Oxford!…with Three Real-Life Examples!
http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2010/12/09/racism-at-oxford-with-three-real-life-examples/

Fewer black students at Oxford and Cambridge
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8964154/Fewer-black-students-at-Oxford-and-Cambridge.html

Why aren't there more black students at Oxford and Cambridge?
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100067045/why-arent-there-more-black-students-at-oxford-and-cambridge/

Interesting.

When you first brought it up I thought that perhaps it was due to extra-academic requirements or connections necessary to get into Oxford and Cambridge, but reading through some of those links, I see that not many blacks there apply, and not many have the grades for it. I guess your assessment of the differences between Nigerians in the UK and the U.S. is probably correct.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by strangerf: 10:42pm On Apr 06, 2012
shymmex:

You know what empty barrels do.... cheesy cheesy

. . . they call others reeetards when they are lost for words.

Sagamite is a clown with one vocab,

He actually has more than one vocab . . . re/t/a/r/d, c/r/e/t//i/n, mo/r/o/n, di/m/w/i/t . . . thats more than one grin

I LOL every time I read his post. You can't blame him - he's a freshie, and traveling to the UK is probably a prize to him. cheesy cheesy cheesy

What do you expect from soomeone who couldnt make it at OAU, after getting admitted via under-G moves?

A few Nigerians went to Oxbridge but the percentage would probably be in the 0.00%1 range, and that's just being generous. I know a friend who went to Oxford, and two women who did their masters at Cambridge. Most of the Nigerians who graduated from Oxbridge are mostly international students.

Hakeem bello, Ogunlesi, FRA williams readily come to mind
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Nobody: 10:50pm On Apr 06, 2012
strangerf:

. . . they call others reeetards when they are lost for words.
He actually has more than one vocab . . . re/t/a/r/d, c/r/e/t//i/n, mo/r/o/n, di/m/w/i/t . . . thats more than one grin
What do you expect from soomeone who couldnt make it at OAU, after getting admitted via under-G moves?
Hakeem bello, Ogunlesi, FRA williams readily come to mind

Bwahahahahahaha

Let Sagamite enjoy is delusions of grandeur, and his 15secs of fame. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

The guy is a clown!
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Kilode1: 10:56pm On Apr 06, 2012
ekt_bear: Kilode, in short, deal with it. You are one of the elites grin

You will fool your kids with these stories of how you made it to America through luck and hard work, but then they'll find out that their grandfather is a college graduate in chemistry, speaks excellent English, that their father was the local science fair champion in high school, etc.

On a serious note though, I think the main lesson I've drawn from this personally is a bit more humility. To realize that my accomplishments aren't really due to anything amazing that I personally did, but basically a consequence of certain things I've inherited from my parents and grandparents.

Of course, it sounds a helluva lot sexier to say that your grandfather was an illiterate lion hunter in the Ekiti bush or something cheesy grin

You no serious o. grin

If i'm elite, then Ndidi Okereke-Onyuike is a Victoria's Secret Model

But yes, I will tell my kids: I'm the Great-Grand son of a Hunter who trekked all the way from Tapa to become a servant of a Yoruba King. A Grand Son of a Cocoa farmer who left his son one weighing machine, 2 farms and 7 Embroided Caps.

And yes, I'm the son of a No-nonsense Tisa father who is proud of his Odua accent. cool

So maybe I'm elite.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 06, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Interesting.

When you first brought it up I thought that perhaps it was due to extra-academic requirements or connections necessary to get into Oxford and Cambridge, but reading through some of those links, I see that not many blacks there apply, and not many have the grades for it. I guess your assessment of the differences between Nigerians in the UK and the U.S. is probably correct.

The bolded part is politricks, a decent number of black kids do apply from time to time - but most times, they're asked to go for less competitive courses.So, most kids would rather apply to a second-tier university and study their preferred course - rather than get into Oxbridge to study anything. Having an African name is also disadvantageous our here, hence why some people change their names. You'll be surprised that your application can be denied out here, just by having an African name alone.

And don't forget there's no affirmative action out here, and they could care less if they admit black students or not.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by strangerf: 11:00pm On Apr 06, 2012
^^^

So you are from the hinterland, like me. grin

Hinterland? I miss those days. cheesy
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by SEFAGO(m): 11:03pm On Apr 06, 2012
I know quite a large number of Nigerian who went to Oxbridge. I went to primary school with them. Infact a lot of Nigerians I grew up with man all attend top UK universities. Like top 5-6 and most are not smart. Suffice to say though that currently there are a lot of Nigerians in top UK universities relatively. Just that they are not that many at Oxford or Cambridge but dem plenty for Imperial College and UCL and a few from London school of Economics. Infact I would wager that there are more Nigerians at good UK universities than US universities since its closer to home and they are much much easier to get into grin. Any school that does Engineering has loads of Nigerians.

As for the US in some of the Ivy League schools I have visited 90& of the time the only black people studying Science or Engineering are Nigerian whether Yoruba/Edo/Igbo/even Hausa. At Harvard and Princeton the undergrad class is predominantly Nigerian (Fresh of the boat from Nigeria, Nigerians from the UK a bunch who attended posh boarding schools and Nigerian-American.) I have been told so by other black students who attend these schools that there are too many Nigerians in these school. A guy I know who went to Harvard said like if 10% of teh students are black at least 3-4% are of Nigerian descent. But that does not tell you anything there might be more African-Americans they just tend to focus more on studying other stuff like sociology and International relations or whatnot.

What I can say though is that Nigerians/Other Africans are the biggest beneficiary of affirmative action.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Afam4eva(m): 11:03pm On Apr 06, 2012
This UK go hard gan oo.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by cap28: 11:07pm On Apr 06, 2012
This type of topic is typical of the kind of pathetic self congratulatory behaviour that delusional nigerians love wastingg their time on. The real question to ask is why is it that these so called educated nigerians can not use this education to take back control of their country from their white slave masters. Why is the average nigerian content to remain an inferior to a white man? Eveen with the so called education u have no control over ur own economic destiny as the whiteman stii calls the shots in every aspect of your life , so what good has ur eurocentric education done u when u still have to go cap in hand to whitey to beg for a job? I think nigerians are totally shameless to actuaally brag abt taking affirmative actio slots meant for black americans shame on any nigerian who can't fight for justice in their own country but wants to reap the benefits of the civil rights movement which many black americans fought and died for

1 Like

Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by strangerf: 11:11pm On Apr 06, 2012
SEFAGO: I know quite a large number of Nigerian who went to Oxbridge. I went to primary school with them. Infact a lot of Nigerians I grew up with man all attend top UK universities. Like top 5-6 and most are not smart. Suffice to say though that currently there are a lot of Nigerians in top UK universities relatively. Just that they are not that many at Oxford or Cambridge but dem plenty for Imperial College and UCL and a few from London school of Economics. Infact I would wager that there are more Nigerians at good UK universities than US universities since its closer to home and they are much much easier to get into grin. Any school that does Engineering has loads of Nigerians.

As for the US in some of the Ivy League schools I have visited 90& of the time the only black people studying Science or Engineering are Nigerian whether Yoruba/Edo/Igbo/even Hausa. At Harvard and Princeton the undergrad class is predominantly Nigerian (Fresh of the boat from Nigeria, Nigerians from the UK a bunch who attended posh boarding schools and Nigerian-American.) I have been told so by other black students who attend these schools that there are too many Nigerians in these school. A guy I know who went to Harvard said like if 10% of teh students are black at least 3-4% are of Nigerian descent. But that does not tell you anything there might be more African-Americans they just tend to focus more on studying other stuff like sociology and International relations or whatnot.

What I can say though is that Nigerians/Other Africans are the biggest beneficiary of affirmative action.

Mercer County baby! grin

Your last line is not 100% true though.

March 19, 2007
Black Immigrants, An Invisible 'Model Minority'
By Clarence Page
WASHINGTON-Do African immigrants make the smartest Americans? The question may sound outlandish, but if you were judging by statistics alone, you could find plenty of evidence to back it up.

In a side-by-side comparison of 2000 census data by sociologist John R. Logan at the Mumford Center, State University of New York at Albany, black immigrants from Africa average the highest educational attainment of any population group in the country, including whites and Asians.

For example, 43.8 percent of African immigrants had achieved a college degree, compared to 42.5 of Asian Americans, 28.9 percent for immigrants from Europe, Russia and Canada, and 23.1 percent of the U.S. population as a whole.

That defies the usual stereotypes of Asian Americans as the only "model minority." Yet the traditional American narrative has rendered the high academic achievements of black immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean invisible, as if it were a taboo topic.

Instead, we should take a closer look. That was my reaction in 2004 after black Harvard law professor Lani Guinier and Henry Louis Gates Jr., chairman of Harvard's African-American studies department, stirred a black Harvard alumni reunion with questions about precisely where the university's new black students were coming from.

About 8 percent, or 530, of Harvard's undergraduates were black, they said, but somewhere between one-half and two-thirds of black undergraduates were "West Indian and African immigrants or their children, or to a lesser extent, children of biracial couples."

If we take a closer look, I said at the time, I bet we'll find that Harvard's not alone. With all of the ink and airwaves that have been devoted to immigration these days, black immigrants remain remarkably invisible. Yet their success has long followed the patterns of other high-achieving immigrants.

As one immigrant Jamaican friend once told me, "I'm too busy working two jobs to worry about the white man's racism."

Now comes a new study that finds a consistent pattern of Ivy League and other elite colleges and universities boosting their black student populations by enrolling large numbers of immigrants from Africa, the West Indies and Latin America.

Immigrants, who make up 13 percent of the nation's college-age black population, account for more than a quarter of black students at Ivy League and other elite universities, according to the study of 28 selective colleges and universities. The authors of the study, published recently in the American Journal of Education, included Douglas S. Massey of Princeton University and Camille Z. Charles of the University of Pennsylvania. The proportion of immigrants was higher at private institutions, 28.8 percent, than at the public ones, where they comprised 23.1 percent of enrollment.

Are elite schools padding their racial diversity numbers with black immigrants who do not have a history of American slavery in their families? This development immediately calls into question whether affirmative action admission policies are fulfilling their original intent.

But as Walter Benn Michaels, a professor of English at the University of Illinois at Chicago, writes in his book "The Trouble With Diversity: How We Learned to Love Identity and Ignore Inequality," the original intent of affirmative action morphed back in the 1970s from reparations for slavery into the promotion of a broader virtue: "diversity." Since then, it no longer seems to matter how many of your college's black students had slavery in their families. It only matters that they are black.

That said, I don't begrudge black immigrants or any other high-achieving immigrants for their impressive achievements. I applaud them. I encourage more native-born American children, particularly my own child, to take similar advantage of this country's hard-won opportunities.

But I also think we need to revisit the meaning of "diversity." Unlike our current system of feel-good game-playing, we need to focus on the deeper question of how education can be improved and opportunities opened up to those who were left behind by the civil rights revolution.

We tend to look too often at every aspect of diversity except economic class. Yet, the dream of upward mobility is an essential part of how we Americans like to think of ourselves.

It's also why a lot more people are trying to get into this country than trying to get out.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by SEFAGO(m): 11:14pm On Apr 06, 2012
cap28: This type of topic is typical of the kind of pathetic self congratulatory behaviour that delusional nigerians love wastingg their time on. The real question to ask is why is it that these so called educated nigerians can not use this education to take back control of their country from their white slave masters. Why is the average nigerian content to remain an inferior to a white man? Eveen with the so called education u have no control over ur own economic destiny as the whiteman stii calls the shots in every aspect of your life , so what good has ur eurocentric education done u when u still have to go cap in hand to whitey to beg for a job? I think nigerians are totally shameless to actuaally brag abt taking affirmative actio slots meant for black americans shame on any nigerian who can't fight for justice in their own country but wants to reap the benefits of the civil rights movement which many black americans fought and died for

Where do u live again? Oh the UK my bad. Do as I say not as I do.

The bolded part is politricks, a decent number of black kids do apply from time to time - but most times, they're asked to go for less competitive courses.So, most kids would rather apply to a second-tier university and study their preferred course - rather than get into Oxbridge to study anything. Having an African name is also disadvantageous our here, hence why some people change their names. You'll be surprised that your application can be denied out here, just by having an African name alone.

Bullshyt. They are probably asked to go for less competitive courses because they are not qualified. I doubt the tutors who handle admission are trying to bring a specific people down. Fact remains that if you are exceptional and work hard you will probably get rewarded. Most of the Nigerians I know at oxbridge are not super superstars anyways what they have though is that they went to public schools and were decently good in school.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Nobody: 11:15pm On Apr 06, 2012
cap28: This type of topic is typical of the kind of pathetic self congratulatory behaviour that delusional nigerians love wastingg their time on. The real question to ask is why is it that these so called educated nigerians can not use this education to take back control of their country from their white slave masters. Why is the average nigerian content to remain an inferior to a white man? Eveen with the so called education u have no control over ur own economic destiny as the whiteman stii calls the shots in every aspect of your life , so what good has ur eurocentric education done u when u still have to go cap in hand to whitey to beg for a job? I think nigerians are totally shameless to actuaally brag abt taking affirmative actio slots meant for black americans shame on any nigerian who can't fight for justice in their own country but wants to reap the benefits of the civil rights movement which many black americans fought and died for

I always enjoy reading your comments.

I think it's high time we started putting some of these qualifications to good use in Nigeria. I'm tired of semi-illiterates leading us. A country of able-bodied men and women - being lead by cripples. sad
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by SEFAGO(m): 11:16pm On Apr 06, 2012
Your last line is not 100% true though.

In what way? Come on you live in America, the fact that you were allowed into college is a testament to the beauty of AA grin

Pay honor and respect to who is due-guilty white people
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Nobody: 11:18pm On Apr 06, 2012
SEFAGO:
Bullshyt. They are probably asked to go for less competitive courses because they are not qualified. I doubt the tutors who handle admission are trying to bring a specific people down. Fact remains that if you are exceptional and work hard you will probably get rewarded. Most of the Nigerians I know at oxbridge are not super superstars anyways what they have though is that they went to public schools and were decently good in school.

I don't like went people argue blindly from hearsay without knowing the facts. Do you live in the UK? If not, you can't know better than someone raised here. Just because you know a bunch of international students in those Universities - means the same applies to those who live here. The Universities out here are business organisations, and they would admit international students who are less qualified - as long as they can afford the huge fees.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by strangerf: 11:20pm On Apr 06, 2012
lol
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by cap28: 11:24pm On Apr 06, 2012
SEFAGO:

Where do u live again? Oh the UK my bad. Do as I say not as I do.

Be quiet wher I liv is neither here nor there - at least I am wide awake and aware of what is really going on unlike delusional fools like u who actually think the white man sees u as his equal - let me tell something with or without the oxbridge deggree u r still the whitemans bitch why can't u use ur degree to stop the ongoing reclonisation of ur continent no ur forte is to brag abt worthless pieces of paper
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by SEFAGO(m): 11:25pm On Apr 06, 2012
shymmex:

I don't like went people argue blindly from hearsay without knowing the facts. Do you live in the UK? If not, you can't know better than someone raised here. Just because you know a bunch of international students in those Universities - means the same applies to those who live here. The Universities out here are business organisations, and they would admit international students who are less qualified - as long as they can afford the huge fees.

I dont believe they will try and out-rightly discriminate againt Africans at this present point. Like whats the motive? If they are willing to accept International students who are African then discriminate against those who are british just because of tuition does not make sense at all.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by SEFAGO(m): 11:28pm On Apr 06, 2012
cap28:
Be quiet wher I liv is neither here nor there - at least I am wide awake and aware of what is really going on unlike delusional fools like u who actually think the white man sees u as his equal - let me tell something with or without the oxbridge deggree u r still the whitemans bitch why can't u use ur degree to stop the ongoing reclonisation of ur continent no ur forte is to brag abt worthless pieces of paper

More like you argument and statements are neither here or there. Most nigerians who go abroad do so for their survival not to serve as a sort of instrument for change. They are not obliged to come back and change the country. Whether they are slaves of thew hite man or not is another matter. Human beings have being migrating for years to seek better economic opportunities even the people you are so obssessed with- white people. they do not do so for some altruistic reason- if they did they might as well have been more productive starting an NGO in Nigeria as opposed to doing that.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by cap28: 11:39pm On Apr 06, 2012
SEFAGO:

More like you argument and statements are neither here or there. Most nigerians who go abroad do so for their survival not to serve as a sort of instrument for change. They are not obliged to come back and change the country. Whether they are slaves of thew hite man or not is another matter. Human beings have being migrating for years to seek better economic opportunities even the people you are so obssessed with- white people. they do not do so for some altruistic reason- if they did they might as well have been more productive starting an NGO in Nigeria as opposed to doing that.

Hmm and here I was thinking that education was meant to be used as a tool for devt - evry progreesive grp of people tht I knw hve used education for the development of their people as a collective grp all the european scintists, phlosphrs, teachers professors hve used their knowledge for the benefit of their collective race but in ur own case u r content to brag abt how u have acquired a eurocentric education which has been designed to keep u in a position of inferiority for the rest of ur life
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by cap28: 11:40pm On Apr 06, 2012
SEFAGO:

Hmm and here I was thinking that education was meant to be used as a tool for devt - evry progreesive grp of people tht I knw hve used education for the development of their people as a collective grp all the european scintists, phlosphrs, teachers professors hve used their knowledge for the benefit of their collective race but in ur own case u r content to brag abt how u have acquired a eurocentric education which has been designed to keep u in a position of inferiority for the rest of ur life
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Nebeuwa(m): 11:51pm On Apr 06, 2012

If I had a dime for every time a person said something like this. Africans need to take responsibility for their own mess and stop blaming others.

You say that the average Nigerian is content to remain an inferior? Where did you get this information? From what I have seen from Nigerians in the United States, many are willing to compete with the "white man" in his own country. I haven't seen many Nigerians acting subservient to others. When I go to my professional school each day, I compete with people of all races and I see everyone as equal. I do not feel inferior to anyone.

Where do you live again? If I do not hear an African country, then I think you are being very hypocritical. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. This is like many of my Afrocentric brothers and sisters who always complain about the white man, but would never live in Africa. I think they illustrate the hypocrisy that I just read in your post.

Sorry, but I will make my mark on the United States. This is my home and I have every right to be here. All human actions are motivated by self-interest. And I believe my own self-interest will be furthered by living in the United States than any other country. God bless America.

1 Like

Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by cap28: 11:54pm On Apr 06, 2012
shymmex:

I always enjoy reading your comments.

I think it's high time we started putting some of these qualifications to good use in Nigeria. I'm tired of semi-illiterates leading us. A country of able-bodied men and women - being lead by cripples. sad

Thanx bro the problem we hve in nigeria is not just the fact tht we hve a grp of neo clonial agents running the country bt also the fact tht nigeria is filled with spineless ignramuses who actually think tht they have acheived something monumental simply becos they have acquired the whitemans education an education designed to convince u of ur inferiority to all other races of men - I can't help but laugh wen I see the likes of sefago and other brainwashed negroes falling ovr themselves to tell u abt the educatio that has kept them paralysed while the whiteman continues to loot and destroy their own continent these negroes dnt understand just how much the white man holds them in contempt
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by PhysicsQED(m): 12:00am On Apr 07, 2012
Cap28

What sort of education would you design to liberate Nigerians (or if you want to be more general, Africans) from mental laziness, spinelessness and inferiority complexes?

What would that involve specifically? And how would you implement it so as to complement modern 21st century education and career paths?
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by ektbear: 12:03am On Apr 07, 2012
Hehe

The nature/nurture direction was kind of fun and interesting, but this "black power" turn...I always wonder why the must virulent pan-Africanist, black power types are preaching from London. Kind of cracks me up.

If you believe your message so much, quit your job in London and go teach in my town! grin

Talk is cheap bruh
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Nobody: 12:06am On Apr 07, 2012
SEFAGO:

I dont believe they will try and out-rightly discriminate againt Africans at this present point. Like whats the motive? If they are willing to accept International students who are African then discriminate against those who are british just because of tuition does not make sense at all.

I don't think it's about "out-rightly discriminate againt Africans" - it has more to do with superiority complex. And don't forget these are exclusive institutions for the alpha-white people - the top of the pops of their race - and most don't like to mingle with too many black people. I'll also like to add that most times, Oxbridge has special preferences for students who attended certain exclusive private schools - these kids are trained from nursery school the Oxbridge way.

And they make the money they use in subsidizing their home students from international students - and don't forget these international students are also elites from other countries, who are privy to have attended exclusive schools in their home countries.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Nobody: 12:15am On Apr 07, 2012
Nebeuwa:

If I had a dime for every time a person said something like this. Africans need to take responsibility for their own mess and stop blaming others.

You say that the average Nigerian is content to remain an inferior? Where did you get this information? From what I have seen from Nigerians in the United States, many are willing to compete with the "white man" in his own country. I haven't seen many Nigerians acting subservient to others. When I go to my professional school each day, I compete with people of all races and I see everyone as equal. I do not feel inferior to anyone.

Where do you live again? If I do not hear an African country, then I think you are being very hypocritical. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. This is like many of my Afrocentric brothers and sisters who always complain about the white man, but would never live in Africa. I think they illustrate the hypocrisy that I just read in your post.

Sorry, but I will make my mark on the United States. This is my home and I have every right to be here. All human actions are motivated by self-interest. And I believe my own self-interest will be furthered by living in the United States than any other country. God bless America.

Brother, it is not about where your home is or not - it is about happiness. Are you comfortable with being a 2nd class citizen for the rest of your life? And do you enjoy the images of Africa you see from time to time on TV in your Western abode? If you don't, then we the African diaspora have to go back to our continent and change our future, and change the future of our brothers and sisters. Africa is the mirror used to judge black people in the Western world - no matter where you live, when anyone sees you, what comes to their mind is the image of poverty, wars, destruction etc. they see about Africa all the time.

No one is going to change the destiny of Nigeria, and Africa in general but us the expats.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Nobody: 12:18am On Apr 07, 2012
cap28:

Thanx bro the problem we hve in nigeria is not just the fact tht we hve a grp of neo clonial agents running the country bt also the fact tht nigeria is filled with spineless ignramuses who actually think tht they have acheived something monumental simply becos they have acquired the whitemans education an education designed to convince u of ur inferiority to all other races of men - I can't help but laugh wen I see the likes of sefago and other brainwashed negroes falling ovr themselves to tell u abt the educatio that has kept them paralysed while the whiteman continues to loot and destroy their own continent these negroes dnt understand just how much the white man holds them in contempt

Hotep, brother.

Education is meant to teach people about critical thinking, and how to be a leader - and it's just a pity that most educated Nigerians don't see that way. They see it as a means to earn a living, and as long as they can earn a living - they're comfortable with life. It's just sad!
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by PhysicsQED(m): 12:18am On Apr 07, 2012
shymmex:

And don't forget there's no affirmative action out here, and they could care less if they admit black students or not.

Hmmm, I was scrolling through the comments section in one of the links you gave me and I saw this series of exchanges, including a comment from a poster with the name "Ab1odun" (obviously Abiodun):

Ab1odun:
6 December 2010 10:47PM

I'm black and applied for Law at Oxford this year. Got 5 As at AS level, near-perfect predictions far beyond what they ask for and pretty nifty GCSE grades too. Didn't even get an interview and everyone thought there was something smelly in the water. They never told me why I wasn't good enough. I would be very worried for the future and direction of our society if this is why.

niccochan:
6 December 2010 11:17PM

@Ab1odun

I went to a high achieving white, middle class school, and a large one at that, and only one person from my year group went to Oxbridge. This students has Twelve A* grades at G.C.S.E, five and a half A-levels at A grades and two high level step papers in Maths and Chemistry. I know this because she was my best friend. I'm afraid that you are grossly underestimating what it takes to get in to an oxbridge college.

Also consider how many foreign students apply. I went to visit my friend a number of times at Uni. Her friendship group from her college consisted of a girl of indian origin, a japanese boy and a german guy. It was the biggest college and in no way 'white'.

What is really more worrying in general is the habitual under achievement of both afro-carribean and white working class teenagers. The university entrance statistics will never look any different if this problem is tackled at primary school level. University entrance panels can only work with what they are offered.

Salmonslice:
6 December 2010 11:18PM

It is really quite unjustified to accuse the admissions system of racism, given that at postgraduate level at Oxbridge there is a clear majority of overseas students of all ethnic backgrounds -- and many of these postgraduate courses are very competitive, if others are rather more preferred by the universities for the overseas fees they generate. Certainly in my experience no postgraduate from India or China has ever intimated experiencing discrimination in the selection process.

The problem thus seems confined to undergraduate admissions, and thus cannot be simply 'institutional racism' -- or if so, something that is institutional well beyond the walls of Oxford and Cambridge and within the educational system at large. It really does seem like very lazy journalism to target the Universities themselves with this sort of thing, as usual under the obligatory photo of the Radcliffe Camera.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/dec/06/oxford-colleges-no-black-students

Also, look at this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/503406/nigerian-student-achieves-best-2010

She said she planned to go to Cambridge. Probably got in.

I don't think it's a politics thing or race thing at all, but going by what was written in the article about the most popular subjects, your analysis about choosing less famous/prestigious universities, but sticking with the desired subjects may be correct.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by SEFAGO(m): 12:26am On Apr 07, 2012
cap28:

Joker. I was just talking 2 weeks to a Nigerian who attended a really elite US university on scholarship and came back home to look for a job and he could not find a job in Nigeria because of nepotism. His family is not rich but he decided to come back because of he-goats like you who kept on telling him to come and serve his motherland. God knows he could have wrecked his life, guy enrolled in the first grad school that accepted him and went back to America. lesson in point lol Nigeria does noes not want to develop themselves why disturb yourself lol.

You think you get a job in Nigeria based on wetin you read? Man you have been out of the system for long.

I don't think it's about "out-rightly discriminate againt Africans" - it has more to do with superiority complex. And don't forget these are exclusive institutions for the alpha-white people - the top of the pops of their race - and most don't like to mingle with too many black people. I'll also like to add that most times, Oxbridge has special preferences for students who attended certain exclusive private schools - these kids are trained from nursery school the Oxbridge way.

Then you are describing elitism not racism. Also don't forget there are quite a few Indians in these universities. Are they not ethnic minorities? Anyways dont let Cap28 infect you with the victim mentality. Confidence that's all you need fake or real.
Re: Survey: Nigerians Most Educated In The U.S! by Nobody: 12:27am On Apr 07, 2012
PhysicsQED:
Also, look at this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/503406/nigerian-student-achieves-best-2010

She said she planned to go to Cambridge. Probably got in. I don't think it's a politics thing or race thing at all.

You're entitled to your own opinion - but getting into Oxbridge has a lot to do with race, and class to an extent. From the comment you posted, you saw the guy with a Yoruba name saying he didn't even get an interview despite meeting the requirement. My assumption is that his name ratted him out.

I know a lot people in the UK who have changed their last names to English names because of this, and things similar to this. You're entitled to believe what you want to believe.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Which Of These Statements Is Correct??? / JAMB: How Cut-off Marks Were Fixed – Registrar / Aminu Sheu: Osun Polytechnic Student Slumps, Dies After Writing Examination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.