Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? (13820 Views)

Boy Suspended From School For Reading Bible During Recess / How Many Here Have Read The Bible From Cover To Cover. / Muslim Murders Wife For Reading Bible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by GboyegaD(m): 4:32pm On Apr 10, 2012
There is nothing to be embarassed about. That is what you had and if she doesn't like you read your bible from your phone then it is her cross. This is not something to cry about except if your motive was ulterior.
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by walcolm(m): 4:33pm On Apr 10, 2012
fubbyy: Yesterday on a bible study,I was pointed 2 read the bible and the sister conducting the study embarassed me because I brought out my phone to read from,I felt so embarrassed and appologised,but I remember watching a pastor on tv reading from his laptop while preaching, nairalanders what's your opinion on this?

what exactly does 'embarass' mean in this context? did she say you were a sinner for not coming with a paper bible to church or what?
you need to provide more clarification before you all folks on here jump off on a tangent
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Reptyle(m): 4:41pm On Apr 10, 2012
Some churches do not allow phone bibles because of the tendency of abuse by the users. I have had cause to rebuke a few people in church who under the pretext of using the Bible app on their phones, begin to ping, receive and respond to text messages and even take calls right in the middle of service, thus distracting others. Laptops and tablets are a more acceptable.
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by theviper1: 4:56pm On Apr 10, 2012
it is either envy or foolishness from the sister.the bible can be read from anything.in todays age of high tech,pple can use whatever to store their infos and datas.would she have embarassed their pastor if he were the one that read frm his moble fone?
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by adctrl: 4:59pm On Apr 10, 2012
I take only my phone to church these days as I have various versions of the Bible on it for comparison etc.
As long as you don't distract other people, I don't see anything wrong with using the Bible on your fone.

As someone said, you may need to move to a church that has embraced technology....if you don't see anything wrong with using your fone!

1 Like

Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by sirp2007: 5:04pm On Apr 10, 2012
next time ''when in rome behave like d romans''....
since u apologise it means u are matured.
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Dyamante(f): 5:13pm On Apr 10, 2012
fubbyy: @image123 what about the pastors preaching with their laptops?

Or even ipads?
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Image123(m): 5:15pm On Apr 10, 2012
baryore:

Do u have to mention Bishop Oyedepo? Did OP say anything about him? Why can't you just answer a question based on what was asked? Try not to talk negatively about anointed men of God even if you don't like them because it will have a disastrous effect on you. Pls take this advice and do not reply foolishly.
i did not talk negatively about Oyedepo. Your post is a disaster BTW. You need urgent prayers. Learn to mind your business instead of coming to fight where there's peace.

1 Like

Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by emsquare(m): 5:26pm On Apr 10, 2012
logicboy: Because your phone was made by an atheist? grin

LOL!!!
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Edjimor4(m): 5:46pm On Apr 10, 2012
Please people get my guy's message. He said it was a Bible study in which case, a Bible was needed irrespective of the version, format, form etc. 2ndly, my guy never volunteered to read rather he was pointed at. In this case no intention of showing off. 3rdly, he was embarrassed yet he appologised. In the 1st case what should have matterd was if what was contained in the softcopy was in tandem with that of the hard copy. Though the lady did it to serve as a deterence to other members of the church else people will abuse it. From the 2nd issue, this guy is not a show-off kind of guy. He sat in the crowd but was singled out. The leader thought he had a hard copy Bible. On the last issue, believe me, i really salute my guy's reaction. His reaction was really a manifestation of maturity, godliness, discipline and humility. My advice is know your denomination. Is it the type that is conservative or liberal.
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Apr 10, 2012
I'm waiting for the day someone will come and harrass me for reading bible from my phone or pad. undecided
I can't stand bush, primitive minded people who take it further by not minding their own business.

In the age of stone, the commandments were imprinted on stone tablets.
In age of papyrus, that and more of the bible made it's way to paper.
So you best believe in the age of Superconductors, the bible is making its way to computers and devices as well.

That you choose to remain in the stone or papyrus age is something you must keep to yourself, and not show your ignorance by assaulting the dignity of others.
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by tunde233(m): 5:55pm On Apr 10, 2012
I love your courage to apologise. Sincerely,
I do not see anything wrong with reading the
Bible from your phone. Though some people
distract us by putting big laptop on the
Lectern/pulpit while preaching. You impress me with
your maturity.

Why are some people making some funny comments here!
I do not understand.
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Koolking(m): 6:00pm On Apr 10, 2012
Image123:
The print media is fading!! Indeed. You've started smoking abi? He should have apologised, stop confusing him. It's not only when you're wrong that you apologise. You should grow up. He did right by condescending to men of low estate, and abasing himself instead of proving mr. right. There's order in church, you of all people should know that.

Thank you brother. You have a spirit of discernment. Phone bible cannot replace the real bible. People are expected to attend churches with their hard copy bible, there is power in that. Just like bulletins and handouts that summarise bible verses have given priorities in church services instead of bible. With the thoughts of being handed with bulletins in the church makes some feel bible is a burden. Besides, people are supposed to switch off their phones in the church. phones distract and interfere with the public address systems. Not becos there are sins in the world you agitate for God to be changed. There are things that are still sacrosanct and cannot be changed despite tech evolution
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Johnson6: 6:11pm On Apr 10, 2012
Guy if u hv ability 2 influence members of ur church,stay and do dat but if u can't,move on b4 dey infect u wit their bush bhavor
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Apr 10, 2012
Koolking:

Thank you brother. You have a spirit of discernment. Phone bible cannot replace the real bible. People are expected to attend churches with their hard copy bible, there is power in that. Just like bulletins and handouts that summarise bible verses have given priorities in church services instead of bible. With the thoughts of being handed with bulletins in the church makes some feel bible is a burden. Besides, people are supposed to switch off their phones in the church. phones distract and interfere with the public address systems. Not becos there are sins in the world you agitate for God to be changed. There are things that are still sacrosanct and cannot be changed despite tech evolution

Ever heard of airplane mode? No? I thought so.
Understand this scripture I leave to you lest you get stuck in the man-made cage of religion and tradition instead of focusing on living a bold, Holy Spirit life.
"The word killeth, but the Spirit giveth life". It is the SPIRIT that matters, not the medium the word is put on. If your only gripe & focus is how the person did not read from a paper, then how different are you from the Pharisees and Sadducees that beefed with Jesus over healing a lame man on the Sabbath?

Be careful yourself that you do not allow "religion & Tradition" to overshadow the freedom of Holy Spirit in your lives. He is not confined to such trivial, foolish things.

That being said, my only agreement with you is that, yes, it was right that he apologized for the sake of peace. As you would remember, Paul also mentioned that you shouldn't use your freedom to oppress people who are still in a sort of mental/religious bondage who are unable to comprehend your freedom in Christ.
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Leopantro: 6:21pm On Apr 10, 2012
Phone
bible cannot replace the
real bible ? let me re-phrase that statement into a question. is there a difference between a normal bible and a bible on an ipad or an android tablet ? I thought the word of good works by faith. I have watched various american services where everyone was with an ipad. what makes it different from here? recall that the gospel was first written on stone, than on sheeps skin then on paper. is paper now ordained by God?
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Apr 10, 2012
tunde233: I love your courage to apologise. Sincerely,
I do not see anything wrong with reading the
Bible from your phone. Though some people
distract us by putting big laptop on the
Lectern/pulpit while preaching
. You impress me with
your maturity.

Why are some people making some funny comments here!
I do not understand.

So have you not seen a laptop before?
Help me understand why this is so distracting? undecided
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by slam7000(m): 6:31pm On Apr 10, 2012
Same happened to me last yr,went to winners chapel enugu..the one b/w lagos street asata and presidential rd,was using my phone to read some passage and one of the ushers confronted me and asked me to put the phone away,tried explaining what i was doing but he wouldnt listen to me,well i put the phone away.i think he thought i was texting and communicating with someone.
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by freecocoa(f): 6:41pm On Apr 10, 2012
Koolking:

Really?so there's power in the printed bible that cannot be found in one on phone?pray tell more about it.

The phone is supposed to be in flight mode in church so no calls or texting to distract\disrupt the service.

Since technology evolution cannot change somethings especially the bible in this case,why aren't we still reading the words of God on stones or scrolls like it was done back then?
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Koolking(m): 6:43pm On Apr 10, 2012
2buff:

Ever heard of airplane mode? No? I thought so.
Understand this scripture I leave to you lest you get stuck in the man-made cage of religion and tradition instead of focusing on living a bold, Holy Spirit life.
"The word killeth, but the Spirit giveth life". It is the SPIRIT that matters, not the medium the word is put on. If your only gripe & focus is how the person did not read from a paper, then how different are you from the Pharisees and Sadducees that beefed with Jesus over healing a lame man on the Sabbath?

Be careful yourself that you do not allow "religion & Tradition" to overshadow the freedom of Holy Spirit in your lives. He is not confined to such trivial, foolish things.

That being said, my only agreement with you is that, yes, it was right that he apologized for the sake of peace. As you would remember, Paul also mentioned that you shouldn't use your freedom to oppress people who are still in a sort of mental/religious bondage who are unable to comprehend your freedom in Christ.

I subscribed to that too. As far as this thread is concern I had never expressed any contempt to his apologies, in fact that was a well thought out decision. My take is, the Bible is sacrosanct and should be held that way. Phones can be used for all sort of things for personal glory and are not solely for Godly purpose, this renders tech mediums unholy and should not be used as interface with God. For the fact that you have a bible on it does not make it holy; and still cannot be tenable in HIS presence. People don't know scribbling or penning on the bible is ungodly, these are trivial things we overlook as not importance.
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 10, 2012
Koolking:

I subscribed to that too. As far as this thread is concern I had never expressed any contempt to his apologies, in fact that was a well thought out decision. My take is, the Bible is sacrosanct and should be held that way. Phones can be used for all sort of things for personal glory and are not solely for Godly purpose, this renders tech mediums unholy and should not be used as interface with God. For the fact that you have a bible on it does not make it holy; and still cannot be tenable in HIS presence. People don't know scribbling or penning on the bible is ungodly, these are trivial things we overlook as not importance.

Do you remember the dream Peter had on that roof about the "unclean" animals from heaven?
Meditate on that and may the holy spirit give you insight. Brother, you are still stuck in "religion". It is one of the prevalent issues with Nigerian churches today. "Religion" is one of the tools the enemy has used to also keep people out of the church as they really don't want to be bogged down by a lot of things which, though unnecessary, are forced upon them as being necessary. You have no idea how crafty this enemy of yours is.

Strangely enough, By your logic, you are also asserting that all the "grandfather bibles" that have been tattered due to years of use (that my uncle still keeps and uses because it has been with him through some rough times grin ) are also not "holy" and fit for God's use. Could this also be why Nigerians don't feel someone wearing jeans is a man of God unless he wears a suit or robe? There is much to be done in Naija. undecided

Just curious. Are you, per chance, a Catholic?
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 10, 2012
[quote author=aletheia]@Image123:
How do you reconcile these two posts:

Before the printing press was invented the Bible was written on parchment. Does that mean we should be carrying around the Bible as scrolls of parchment. There is nothing wrong with using a phone. If you make an exception for the pastor, then you should make exception as well for the members.
Make we dey carry scroll for armpit dey go church na, if na me i go sieze d microphone because jesus no use mic for im time.
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Leopantro: 6:59pm On Apr 10, 2012
@koolking, I accept your premise but I beauty is in the eye of the beholder.what about people hide guns and drugs in bibles? you know those small bibles in hotels ? they are the perfect shape, texture and length for smoking weed. and when you run out of toilet paper......its basically how you use it and what you believe in
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Nappsy(m): 7:11pm On Apr 10, 2012
You acted maturedly instead of creating a scene; i do not see anything wrong with reading a bible passage from any kind of devise as long as it states what is truly written down.
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by tayoccu(m): 7:17pm On Apr 10, 2012
Koolking:

I'm sure someone in the past also said the same thing about the bible being put on paper.
My bible says the earth is the lord's and the fullness thereof...
So what ever medium the scripture is put on (as long as it is made on materials given to us by God :d ) doesn't matter, cos it the words that are holy, not the medium.
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by dasparrow: 7:24pm On Apr 10, 2012
fubbyy: Yesterday on a bible study,I was pointed 2 read the bible and the sister conducting the study embarassed me because I brought out my phone to read from,I felt so embarrassed and appologised,but I remember watching a pastor on tv reading from his laptop while preaching, nairalanders what's your opinion on this?

You did nothing wrong. During worship, I access the bible from the internet because I am able to pull up the scriptured verse and chapter faster than if I was trying to access the quoted verse and chapter by flipping through my hard copy bible.
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Tboiszwag(m): 7:29pm On Apr 10, 2012
Whether bible or phone,it makes no difference.d sister doesnt understand
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by delikay4luv: 7:43pm On Apr 10, 2012
freecocoa: Walai OP of i were in your shoes,I wouldn't apologize but quietly sit down,then if she went ahead to talk about it after i must have sat down,I'll then challenge her to tell me what makes the words of the bible in the phone different from those in prints.

I put my phone in flight mode when in church and read the scriptures from it,I see no wrong in what you did.
brilliant
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Koolking(m): 7:44pm On Apr 10, 2012
Leopantro: @koolking, I accept your premise but I beauty is in the eye of the beholder.what about people hide guns and drugs in bibles? you know those small bibles in hotels ? they are the perfect shape, texture and length for smoking weed. and when you run out of toilet paper......its basically how you use it and what you believe in

They take curses upon themselves. This is not from me but from HIM.

@2buff Thanks for the attention. I respect your intellectual thoughts. I DONT believe in religion as it is practice by the majority, I believe in godly orders and morals that will liberate human from the shackles of human-religion. I may lost my religion but not my morality and the acknowledgement of the extant of God. I still clinch to my opinion even with my life that the Bible can never be submerged in tech. I may be wrong trying to speak for others but personally I am not wrong about my believe. Cheers
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Image123(m): 7:44pm On Apr 10, 2012
obakovich:
i've not said that it's wrong to read Bible from phone. What i'm saying is that people should learn to use their discretion and be considerate of others. Many posts here smack of selfishness. There's more to life than i'm right or you're wrong. If it's the pastor, that's another case as He is the leader, the members follow. Another thing you should all note is that you gain more when you study print than on phone and co. So stop cheating yourself and feeling cool about it.
Just as an aside opinion, There's something sanctified and dignified about a print Bible or scroll if you please. It's an HOLY Bible, not your phone Bible.
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by osifred(m): 8:26pm On Apr 10, 2012
¶ am yet to see how correctly sumbody who is obviously wrong a sign of maturity. @ Op ¶ did like to knw †ђξ line U̶̲̥̅̊ used in apologing. Like M̶̲̥̅Ƹ guess. 'Sori for usin ma fone to read †ђξ world of God'

¶ can't stand backward pple so ¶ would hav done one of †ђξ two dependin on ma mood. Gently let her understand dat dia is nufin wrong in usin ma fone to read †ђξ bible before sittin down or leave †ђξ bible study and neva come back especially wen she stil insist it is wrong.

Dat was how †ђξ oda day a pastor was preachin against christian using †ђξ internet cos accordin to him dia is nufin gud abt †ђξ internet. Can U̶̲̥̅̊ believe dat?
Re: I Was Embarassed 4 Reading Bible From My Phone,whats Wrong With That? by Lexusgs430: 8:32pm On Apr 10, 2012
I sincerely hope you had a chat with this woman privately, and showed her the errors in her thinking mentality?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cardinal Keith O'brien Resigns As Archbishop / Gang Kidnaps 17 American Missionaries In Haiti / Six Things Christain Youths Should Engage In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.