Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,609 members, 7,816,510 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. (2477 Views)

10 Keys To Healthy Relationships: A Must Read!!!!! / Beware Of Stingy Guys In Relationships!!!a Must Read ,girls Ur Opinion Please. / Romantic Love Text Message And Advice For Distance Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by Nobody: 12:52pm On Apr 12, 2012
After reading a couple of arguments and counter arguments about long distance relationships on NL, and its practicality - I had to do a flash back on one of such relationships I had years back. I was 19years old at the time - and I just reconnected back with one of my childhood friends, who left the UK for the US of A - like 7years before then. We were happy to be in touch again, and we started from emails and msn chats - to phone calls. We went from talking about movies, music, life in America and the UK, the different terms in English language used for certain things in both countries - to talking about relationships and future plans. We became very close, and a day didn't go by - without her ringing my phone at least twice (sometimes at awkward times because of the time zones).

One day, the unthinkable happened - she said she likes me a lot, and she wanted to be my girl friend. I had to laugh it off at first because I thought it was a prank, but she was dead serious about it. I was shocked she wanted to be in a relationship with a guy she hasn't seen for 7years, and don't even know the kind of guy I've transformed into. And at 19, my thing like every other guy of my age back then was to beat as many pum as I can grin (London heads would understand what I mean). She insisted we give a trial - and I had to oblige because she was dead serious about it.

The phone calls went from twice a day to like five times a day despite the time zones, and we never got bored of each other. The whole thing was so insane that, though there was no physical contact, we kind of connected well - and knew everything about each other. We went from the "I like you a lot" mantra - to "I love you." She sent me loads of Jordans, Nike airmax, Timberland boots etc. but every time I made an offer to reciprocate her generosity - she would ask me not to bother because I wasn't working at that - I was in Uni full-time, and a part-time hustler. She ran up her monthly phone bills into hundreds of dollars, but that didn't stop her from calling me.

We did the whole thing for a year, before the unthinkable happened. One of her female cousins, she introduced me to, via the phone sent me a semi-naked picture of herself - which I never asked her to, and my girl found out about it. She rang me up about it, and literally cried for like half an hour. I felt guilty because she gave up so much for me - and trusted me - though the whole relationship was unreal. I decided we needed to wake up from our dreams and get real - because there was no way the relationship would work. We were teenagers, and that's the period we need to ride life till the wheels fall off. I don't want no imaginary chic chasing me around with phone calls - I want the real bedroom romance, and getting 'jiggy' with it. grin

We broke up, but we still keep in touch till this day - though she's married now. We're still very good friends, though I still haven't seen this girl since she left the UK. Every time I look back at the whole ordeal, it's still like a dream to me. The world is a funny place, I tell ya. cool

Long distance relationship is impractical - it's an imaginative thing, that's never gonna work - that's my honest opinion. cool
Re: The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by Nobody: 12:54pm On Apr 12, 2012
Enjoy. wink
Re: The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by Nobody: 1:00pm On Apr 12, 2012
So what is the lesson in this super story?
Re: The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Apr 12, 2012
yorke: So what is the lesson in this super story?

Long distance relationships don't work - it's an illusion IMHO. cool
Re: The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by Goldieluks: 1:18pm On Apr 12, 2012
shymmex:

Long distance relationships don't work - it's an illusion. cool

Your point of view, not everyone's.

1 Like

Re: The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by Nobody: 1:22pm On Apr 12, 2012
shymmex:

Long distance relationships don't work - it's an illusion. cool
You mean like Lagos to Ibadan?
Re: The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by KwachImani(f): 1:40pm On Apr 12, 2012
I am in one such relationship and He is a Nigerian, we met while he was out of his country and he visited my family and we are still going strong....it can work if both parties make it work.

2 Likes

Re: The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by Nobody: 5:02pm On Apr 12, 2012
Goldieluks:

Your point of view, not everyone's.

I'm sorry, I should've added 'IMHO' at the end. We all have different belief system, and things that work for us - and like they say: different strokes for different folks. I'm just they type of guy that likes practicality - I'm a realist, and I believe everything should be done in real time - and not in an imaginative way.
Re: The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by Nobody: 5:03pm On Apr 12, 2012
yorke:
You mean like Lagos to Ibadan?

Looool! Stop patronising me, bruv..

Lagos to Ibadan is the same country - that's not long distance.
Re: The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by Nobody: 5:04pm On Apr 12, 2012
Kwach Imani: I am in one such relationship and He is a Nigerian, we met while he was out of his country and he visited my family and we are still going strong....it can work if both parties make it work.

Hmmmmm, good luck with that.
Re: The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by chizzy86(f): 5:53pm On Apr 12, 2012
shymmex: After reading a couple of arguments and counter arguments about long distance relationships on NL, and its practicality - I had to do a flash back on one of such relationships I had years back. I was 19years old at the time - and I just reconnected back with one of my childhood friends, who left the UK for the US of A - like 7years before then. We were happy to be in touch again, and we started from emails and msn chats - to phone calls. We went from talking about movies, music, life in America and the UK, the different terms in English language used for certain things in both countries - to talking about relationships and future plans. We became very close, and a day didn't go by - without her ringing my phone at least twice (sometimes at awkward times because of the time zones).

One day, the unthinkable happened - she said she likes me a lot, and she wanted to be my girl friend. I had to laugh it off at first because I thought it was a prank, but she was dead serious about it. I was shocked she wanted to be in a relationship with a guy she hasn't seen for 7years, and don't even know the kind of guy I've transformed into. And at 19, my thing like every other guy of my age back then was to beat as many pum as I can grin (London heads would understand what I mean). She insisted we give a trial - and I had to oblige because she was dead serious about it.

The phone calls went from twice a day to like five times a day despite the time zones, and we never got bored of each other. The whole thing was so insane that, though there was no physical contact, we kind of connected well - and knew everything about each other. We went from the "I like you a lot" mantra - to "I love you." She sent me loads of Jordans, Nike airmax, Timberland boots etc. but every time I made an offer to reciprocate her generosity - she would ask me not to bother because I wasn't working at that - I was in Uni full-time, and a part-time hustler. She ran up her monthly phone bills into hundreds of dollars, but that didn't stop her from calling me.

We did the whole thing for a year, before the unthinkable happened. One of her female cousins, she introduced me to, via the phone sent me a semi-naked picture of herself - which I never asked her to, and my girl found out about it. She rang me up about it, and literally cried for like half an hour. I felt guilty because she gave up so much for me - and trusted me - though the whole relationship was unreal. I decided we needed to wake up from our dreams and get real - because there was no way the relationship would work. We were teenagers, and that's the period we need to ride life till the wheels fall off. I don't want no imaginary chic chasing me around with phone calls - I want the real bedroom romance, and getting 'jiggy' with it. grin

We broke up, but we still keep in touch till this day - though she's married now. We're still very good friends, though I still haven't seen this girl since she left the UK. Every time I look back at the whole ordeal, it's still like a dream to me. The world is a funny place, I tell ya. cool

Long distance relationship is impractical - it's an imaginative thing, that's never gonna work - that's my honest opinion. cool
for you not others me inclusive
Re: The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by Nobody: 7:53pm On Apr 12, 2012
chizzy86: for you not others me inclusive

Where did I say it was for you? undecided
Re: The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by KwachImani(f): 7:06am On Apr 25, 2012
shymmex:

Hmmmmm, good luck with that.
...thank you shymmex..dear!... grin
Re: The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by cindyrella(f): 8:28am On Apr 25, 2012
Op, i think it didn't work out for you cos u were both teenagers.

1 Like

Re: The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by Nobody: 9:41am On Apr 25, 2012
Yaa for you it didn't work but for some it does. It did work for me. And my time fame was even much longer than yours. Long distance relationships only work for people who are destined to be together.
Re: The Practicality/impracticality Of Long Distance Relationships - A Story. by Rocktation(f): 10:41am On Apr 25, 2012
You can never say never. Ask The Fray.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Am A Nigerian Based Abroad, See What Love Wants To Do To Me (pic) / Slim And Fat Lady, Which One Will You Go For? / Mum Who Has Sex With Her Son Plans To Marry And Have Kids By Him pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.