Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,561 members, 7,812,818 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

Denominations In Christianity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Denominations In Christianity (1455 Views)

..so Many Denominations; A Blessing Or A Curse To Christianity? / Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? / Why Are There Many Different Denominations In The Christian Faith? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Denominations In Christianity by bigd4050: 9:20am On Apr 18, 2012
I am a Christian, yet the fact that there are so many denominations bothers me, because Christians should be united on one truth. How important is the fact that Christians don't agree on some points? Is it sufficient that we all mainly agree on the gospel message?

Atheists: How does the fact that there are denominations play into your refutation of Christianity? Is this an ultimate refutation or just a minor point to you guys?
Re: Denominations In Christianity by Callotti: 9:49am On Apr 18, 2012
It plays a big role.
More riducle for Christianity.
"The Tower Of Babel" personified. kiss

The ultimate refutation was hypocrisy and Christians being the most perverse of all religions! kiss
Re: Denominations In Christianity by bigd4050: 9:53am On Apr 18, 2012
I agree Christians should be ashamed of themselves for this happening, because they are supposed to be unified.

Why do you say hypocrisy is the dealbreaker?
Re: Denominations In Christianity by rastamouse: 10:01am On Apr 18, 2012
bigd4050: I agree Christians should be ashamed of themselves for this happening, because they are supposed to be unified.

Why do you say hypocrisy is the dealbreaker?

Are you serious? Since when has men ever agreed on things of religion? Do you know what happened in the early church?
Re: Denominations In Christianity by bigd4050: 10:03am On Apr 18, 2012
rastamouse:

Are you serious? Since when has men ever agreed on things of religion? Do you know what happened in the early church?

That's exactly the problem. There should be an agreement or Christians look like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off.
Re: Denominations In Christianity by rastamouse: 10:06am On Apr 18, 2012
bigd4050:

That's exactly the problem. There should be an agreement or Christians look like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off.

Human minds cannot fully comprehend the scriptures so we have divine revelations and those who use carnality. That will continue to bring disagreements. Disagreements in itself is not bad because it will help us to grow as a society. However when it is not handled properly, then it can mar us.
Re: Denominations In Christianity by logicboy: 11:35am On Apr 18, 2012
rastamouse:

Human minds cannot fully comprehend the scriptures so we have divine revelations and those who use carnality. That will continue to bring disagreements. Disagreements in itself is not bad because it will help us to grow as a society. However when it is not handled properly, then it can mar us.

Your bible is the biggest hypocrite;

Mark 3:25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand

So much for the divisions in christianity! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Denominations In Christianity by rastamouse: 11:45am On Apr 18, 2012
logicboy:

Your bible is the biggest hypocrite;

Mark 3:25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand

So much for the divisions in christianity! grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin What is the division? When did differing opinions become division? Atheists and wisdom...two worlds apart grin
Re: Denominations In Christianity by emofine2(f): 12:58pm On Apr 18, 2012
It's one thing I've always pondered about in Christianity. Having diversity in a shared belief is not something I deem as necessarily conflicting or contradictory but when it appears that believers of the same professed god are disunited in one faith there appears something amiss. Some denominations are antithetical to one another some even claim to be more righteous and it is such that makes one wonder about the directions these churches are going.
Different bibles, different religious personnels, different rules etc.
Do some denominations exist solely to sabotage? Which denomination(s) is genuine?
I imagine such exercise to be pretty confusing for a person who is seeking to adopt a faith....if such person chooses Christianity after surveying through which religion to adopt, the next task is to find out which denomination one should assume
Re: Denominations In Christianity by rastamouse: 1:08pm On Apr 18, 2012
emöfine2: It's one thing I've always pondered about in Christianity. Having diversity in a shared belief is not something I deem as necessarily conflicting or contradictory but when it appears that believers of the same professed god are disunited in one faith there appears something amiss. Some denominations are antithetical to one another some even claim to be more righteous and it is such that makes one wonder about the directions these churches are going.
Different bibles, different religious personnels, different rules etc.
Do some denominations exist solely to sabotage? Which denomination(s) is genuine?
I imagine such exercise to be pretty confusing for a person who is seeking to adopt a faith....if such person chooses Christianity after surveying through which religion to adopt, the next job is to find out which denomination one should assume

Emo, it is unfortunate but inevitable. For instance, I am a Methodist and there are a lot of things I don't agree with my own denomination. One of such things is that i don't see the reason why my tithe should be recorded. I see tithe as something personal and my left hand should not even know about what I placed in my right hand. However, my Church insist. Since this is not something that threatens my going to HEAVEN, I oblige.

Most of the issues that separate us as Christians can be attributed to small differences in basic Bible interpretations. This should be expected because JESUS made it clear that only the HOLY SPIRIT is the spirit of truth and can bring out the truth in the scriptures.

My personal advise to you is that read the Bible and pray to the HOLY SPIRIT for discernment. That is a sure way to have personal relationship with GOD which will not be based on any denomination.
Re: Denominations In Christianity by logicboy: 3:41pm On Apr 18, 2012
rastamouse:

grin grin grin grin What is the division? When did differing opinions become division? Atheists and wisdom...two worlds apart grin

You want to tell me that a catholic mass is the same as service in winners chapel or in a baptist church?

Or you want to tell me that pentecostal churches say hail maries and teach about purgatory?

Your denial about the divisions in christianity is just plain ignorance. Stop taking drugs
Re: Denominations In Christianity by numo86(m): 4:10pm On Apr 18, 2012
:-).....I agree there a lot of denominations...
But what I dnt understand is even chrches that r suppose to be under 1 umbrella still keep dividing into splinter groups but @ d end of d day do and worship exactly d same way........
E.g. .....we know there are d prosperity pentecostals....comprising of d redeemed,winners,christ embassies,kicc's,trem's,etc.....
Why are they nt answering just 1 name since they do exactly d same things and infact they inter-mingle well??....
......I jus dnt get it when I see smaller groups breaking out just to replicate d same acts practiced in his or her former place of worship.......confusion here and there...
I'm nt gonna judge any1 but if churches that are splitting will still practice exactly what its Father church practiced then why seperate?
I like to be where there aint no imitations...where procedures are almost a replica of how d apostles were organised...
Re: Denominations In Christianity by bigd4050: 4:28pm On Apr 18, 2012
rastamouse:

Emo, it is unfortunate but inevitable. For instance, I am a Methodist and there are a lot of things I don't agree with my own denomination. One of such things is that i don't see the reason why my tithe should be recorded. I see tithe as something personal and my left hand should not even know about what I placed in my right hand. However, my Church insist. Since this is not something that threatens my going to HEAVEN, I oblige.

Most of the issues that separate us as Christians can be attributed to small differences in basic Bible interpretations. This should be expected because JESUS made it clear that only the HOLY SPIRIT is the spirit of truth and can bring out the truth in the scriptures.

My personal advise to you is that read the Bible and pray to the HOLY SPIRIT for discernment. That is a sure way to have personal relationship with GOD which will not be based on any denomination.

It should not be inevitable though. There are many scriptures that talk about the need to be united. That means in speech, action, and doctrine. To have so many denominations is a black mark on Christianity because it shows that we cannot agree on the truth of the Bible. It isn't necessary to disagree, and there weren't always denominations, so I'm not sure what point your trying to make.
Re: Denominations In Christianity by bigd4050: 4:31pm On Apr 18, 2012
numo86: :-).....I agree there a lot of denominations...
But what I dnt understand is even chrches that r suppose to be under 1 umbrella still keep dividing into splinter groups but @ d end of d day do and worship exactly d same way........
E.g. .....we know there are d prosperity pentecostals....comprising of d redeemed,winners,christ embassies,kicc's,trem's,etc.....
Why are they nt answering just 1 name since they do exactly d same things and infact they inter-mingle well??....
......I jus dnt get it when I see smaller groups breaking out just to replicate d same acts practiced in his or her former place of worship.......confusion here and there...
I'm nt gonna judge any1 but if churches that are splitting will still practice exactly what its Father church practiced then why seperate?
I like to be where there aint no imitations...where procedures are almost a replica of how d apostles were organised...

I agree, it is a shame. The reason they split is over one issue that is not related to the overall message of the gospel, or it is but is perverted. For instance, Lutherans believe that baptism directly saves you, and you can be baptised as an infant. This is not shown anywhere in the Bible, so many other's disagree. No compromise was ever met, so there goes the denomination. There should be healthy debate and you never see that, people just go off and start their own church...much the the anglican church just because the king of england wanted a divorce.
Re: Denominations In Christianity by rastamouse: 6:07pm On Apr 18, 2012
bigd4050:

It should not be inevitable though. There are many scriptures that talk about the need to be united. That means in speech, action, and doctrine. To have so many denominations is a black mark on Christianity because it shows that we cannot agree on the truth of the Bible. It isn't necessary to disagree, and there weren't always denominations, so I'm not sure what point your trying to make.

Are you a member of the Catholic church?
Re: Denominations In Christianity by bigd4050: 11:03pm On Apr 18, 2012
rastamouse:

Are you a member of the Catholic church?

No I'm not. They deviated from the original church that the apostles set up. They were the first denomination IMO.
Re: Denominations In Christianity by rastamouse: 11:13pm On Apr 18, 2012
bigd4050:

No I'm not. They deviated from the original church that the apostles set up. They were the first denomination IMO.

So you as a Christian have a differing opinion from other Christians?
Re: Denominations In Christianity by bigd4050: 12:01am On Apr 19, 2012
rastamouse:

So you as a Christian have a differing opinion from other Christians?

Yes I do, that is why I want to be able to discuss some of the differences of denominations here, so that we can come together on things.
Re: Denominations In Christianity by numo86(m): 9:06am On Apr 19, 2012
@bigd...
D problem started after true christianity that started wit d apostles lost its trueness 3 centuries after Jesus and d apostles all died....
I mean what we are seeing today is some sincere hearted persons strugglin to go back to hw things were done accordin to d scriptures.....
Bt many still wana make money out of religion too so they split......
Its nt going to be easy my bro.....
But let us rili try to work hard to practice exactly wat Jesus christ and his apostles practiced....

Imagine when a church will make females pastors and bishop mrs.....definitly dis-agreement will arise when some1 goes thru d scriptures to find out that women never held teaching offices in d early christian congregations and that d scriptures kicks against it.....that will also cause a split....

What about wether christians shuld get involved in politics or not,engage in warfare or not........what did Jesus teach us and what examples did he set as regards those issues....

Wahala!!!!.......many never wanna seat together to resolve these issues....m

Na wa!!!!
Re: Denominations In Christianity by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:09am On Apr 19, 2012
bigd4050: I am a Christian, yet the fact that there are so many denominations bothers me, because Christians should be united on one truth. How important is the fact that Christians don't agree on some points? Is it sufficient that we all mainly agree on the gospel message?

Atheists: How does the fact that there are denominations play into your refutation of Christianity? Is this an ultimate refutation or just a minor point to you guys?

Martin Luther protested against the RCC and became the father of the Protestant church and since then there has been splinter groups running into thousands of Protestant denominations but despite all these confusion these churches all subscribe to foundational beliefs such as the deity, crucifixion, death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. The Scripture says that:

"The foundation of God stands sure, having this seal, The Lord knows them that are His. And let every one that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity" (2 Timothy 2:19 The Evidence Bible)

The candid truth is that there no church denomination in heaven because God knows no distinctions.
Re: Denominations In Christianity by logicboy: 11:14am On Apr 19, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Martin Luther protested against the RCC and became the father of the Protestant church and since then there has been splinter groups running into thousands of Protestant denominations but despite all these confusion these churches all subscribe to foundational beliefs such as the deity, crucifixion, death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. The Scripture says that:

"The foundation of God stands sure, having this seal, The Lord knows them that are His. And let every one that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity" (2 Timothy 2:19 The Evidence Bible)

The candid truth is that there no church denomination in heaven because God knows no distinctions.

Yet, isrealites were God's chosen people
Re: Denominations In Christianity by Ngwakwe: 11:17am On Apr 19, 2012
Logic Mind: ask seun for a christian only section.
if you are really serious about getting one, threaten him like the muslims did.

or better still, quit nairaland 'cos we're here to stay!

@Logic Mind
Having thoroughly under-studied and typically analyzed your views, I can confidently put it to you that:
1. You have a Christian parents
2. Your found out that your preachers were hypocrites
3. You understood that faith and reasoning should go together against just believe
4. You believe that Conviction (belief) should be periodically tested as to invalidate it or reconfirm it.
5. You are rigid in religious interpretations, meaning an assertion or proclamation should have a definite meaning and not vague or ambiguious.
6. You hate hypocrisy
7. Your IQ is above average and you like challenging the status quo ante
8. You accept the truth when convince but not openly.

My friend you are not an Atheist as you claim but a Prodigal son that his anticipated welcome will be highly celebrated.

You are definitely the type to lead the Church of Jesus Christ in this perverted generation. I look forward to welcoming you. You are almost my type
Re: Denominations In Christianity by iheanyi4u(m): 11:25am On Apr 19, 2012
Denominations exist now....but that barrier would soon be broken cos....

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ
Eph4
Re: Denominations In Christianity by jagunlabi(m): 11:55am On Apr 19, 2012
Back to catholism with every christians sojourning outside it then.
bigd4050:

Re: Denominations In Christianity by jagunlabi(m): 11:59am On Apr 19, 2012
What division? We can start with catholism and protestantism. If i remember correctly, there was a very brutal and long war between the two cults or faction or whatever you wanna call it. We can also talk about the absolute hatred between catholics and Jehovah Witnesses. Etc, etc. No divisions, you say?
rastamouse:

Re: Denominations In Christianity by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:42pm On Apr 19, 2012
"The foundation of God stands sure, having this seal, The Lord knows them that are His. And let every one that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity" (2 Timothy 2:19)

Whoever preaches or believes in another Christ, another gospel or another doctrine apart from the doctrine of Christ is not a part of Him. So all those who have been sidetracked should get back in line (Galatians 1:6-10).

Re: Denominations In Christianity by bigd4050: 5:45am On Apr 20, 2012
jagunlabi: Back to catholism with every christians sojourning outside it then.

I never said Catholicism was the correct way, I don't believe it is, because some parts of it are not based on the Bible. No need to regress back there, that is how things were started in the first place.

(1) (Reply)

Atheism Is The First Step To Satanism: Reject God First / A Witch Who Sold Her Soul To Satan / Is Sexual Thought A Sin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.