Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,748 members, 7,824,154 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (6193) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 (10562782 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6190) (6191) (6192) (6193) (6194) (6195) (6196) ... (19194) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by RuuDie(m): 9:21pm On Oct 31, 2018
raumdeuter:

Airmark say Suarez is one

Nope. Suarez doesn't fit that fox-in-the-box description. At least not in the "original context" of that term I know!

In fact, with the modern day footie, those sort of strikers are a "dying" breed.

2 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by ItGeek(m): 9:21pm On Oct 31, 2018
Any links to the match please ?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by RuuDie(m): 9:22pm On Oct 31, 2018
Unlimited22:

Not yet. Not just yet, though he certainly will be.

Una go dey there Real Madrid go come collect am!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nobody: 9:23pm On Oct 31, 2018
So David Luiz and Rudiger are really our best defenders cheesy This Derby dey mad Sha, four goals tan

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Unlimited22: 9:24pm On Oct 31, 2018
RuuDie:

Nope. Suarez doesn't fit that fox-in-the-box description. At least not in the "original context" of that term I know!

In fact, with the modern day footie, those sort of strikers are a "dying" breed.
The term itself is actually quite loose. Because a fox In the box is a striker who's ultra sharp and intelligent in the area, and gobbles up chances like no man's business.
Whether or not his usefulness extends to holdup and linkup play, assisting, dribbling etc is up in the air.
Going by the first definition, Luis Suarez is a fox in the box. So is a striker like Inzaghi or prime Javier Hernandez.
However, when you define a fox in the box as a poacher and little else, there is a problem as Luis Suarez is most definitely not JUST a poacher.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Unlimited22: 9:25pm On Oct 31, 2018
RuuDie:

Una go dey there Real Madrid go come collect am!
LMAO. Ask Gary Neville what happened when he tried to coach another sinking ship in Spain.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Unlimited22: 9:30pm On Oct 31, 2018
Finally, Chelsea score grin cheesy
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by alexie4real(m): 9:31pm On Oct 31, 2018
Cesc with the goal
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 31, 2018
Unlimited22:
Finally, Chelsea score grin cheesy
finally a shot on target after enjoying about 70% possession
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Unlimited22: 9:42pm On Oct 31, 2018
Afolabi6046:
finally a shot on target after enjoying about 70% possession
2, actually. For the first 30 minutes Derby were decidedly better despite having about 30% possession.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Unlimited22: 9:50pm On Oct 31, 2018
But shey it is this Christensen that wants to leave for lack of game time, abi?

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Leyqute(m): 10:00pm On Oct 31, 2018
SMH. Two own goals
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 10:07pm On Oct 31, 2018
RuuDie:

Describe a fox in the box with examples bro.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by EvilMetahuman: 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2018
frank really doing wonders with this derby team.
they will surely be in premier league nxt year if nthing goes wrong.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by EvilMetahuman: 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2018
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2018
Unlimited22:

The term itself is actually quite loose. Because a fox In the box is a striker who's ultra sharp and intelligent in the area, and gobbles up chances like no man's business.
Whether or not his usefulness extends to holdup and linkup play, assisting, dribbling etc is up in the air.
Going by the first definition, Luis Suarez is a fox in the box. So is a striker like Inzaghi or prime Javier Hernandez.
However, when you define a fox in the box as a poacher and little else, there is a problem as Luis Suarez is most definitely not JUST a poacher.

Spot on. There are many terms used in soccer, which may be interpreted wrongly by many. But when someone explains one needs to reason along. For example some players can be called "wing wizards", does it mean they just stay along the line without doing other things in other areas? They are called such, because they are genius in that area of the field. Ronaldo can be called a fox in the box, because of his skills that give him edge against defenders. We can then start analysing it one after the other. His movements off and on the ball alone in the box, is what donkeys like Morata will never have.

Everything should not be turned to arguments but some people derive pleasure in arguing needlessly.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 10:35pm On Oct 31, 2018
lordfalcao:
is your van dijk the upgrade to Cahill??

cheesy

Do I need to still answer this question bro?

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 10:38pm On Oct 31, 2018
airmark:
cheesy cheesy

The difference between me and you is, I trained under pro coaches and I interacted with pro players, with discussions on technical aspects of the game.

You said Suarez shouldn't be tagged that, but you were asking what made Morata to be exempted, adding an image where he was called that. You've been in America for years now, you should know what characteristics of a fox, are. You must have come across 'wily like a fox' before. The craftiness and deadliness of a striker in the box and in front of goal, are crucial to him being tagged that term.

Not all strikers are smart and deadly, Morata is a donkey in the box right now. Suarez was deadly and crafty in the box in his years in Liverpool and even when he was hot in Spain. He rarely missed 1 v 1 unlike Morata. He was swift and more deadly in the box than outside. There was a season all his goals were inside it.

I can't spend alot of hours educating someone who's not ready to learn. How I wish we are debating this issue physically in the presence of soccer experts, you would have become an embarrassment in their eyes. It would have been a joy for me.

There is no substitute for education and promoting ignorance

educate yourself and the other army of ignoramus on this thread

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/18/modern-strikers-endangered-lukas-podolski-arsenal

How modern football has made the fox in the box an endangered species

3 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by EvilMetahuman: 10:39pm On Oct 31, 2018
good game.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by RuuDie(m): 10:39pm On Oct 31, 2018
airmark:

Describe a fox in the box with examples bro.

Two words. Filippo Inzaghi!

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 10:40pm On Oct 31, 2018
Unlimited22:

The term strictly means a poacher

Read the below links or google and let me know where you see where the definition can cover Suarez

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/18/modern-strikers-endangered-lukas-podolski-arsenal
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 10:41pm On Oct 31, 2018
RuuDie:

Two words. Filippo Inzaghi!

You've not described a fox in the box bro. I asked you that and to give exampleSSS.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Unlimited22: 10:48pm On Oct 31, 2018
EvilMetahuman:
good game.
Worst game under Sarri so far IMO. We were very lucky to win.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Unlimited22: 10:51pm On Oct 31, 2018
raumdeuter:

Read the below links or google and let me know where you see where the definition can cover Suarez

Personally, I'd rather not have Luis Suarez described as a fox-in-the-box, but it's very possible a striker can combine lethal predatory instincts with strength and good linkup play etc. Just look at prime Sergio Aguero. Prime Luis Suarez.
Strikers hardly score worldies from 25 yards out, yet there are target men who are slow and ponderous and rely on brute strength and massive aerial abilities and are excellent at bringing others into play.
In my opinion, the term is quite loose. Anyone who is sharp and scores lots can fit that bill.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 10:52pm On Oct 31, 2018
raumdeuter:

So Suarez wasn't a poacher at his peak. cheesy

I would have loved you to say this nonsense physically in the midst of professionals.

2 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 10:53pm On Oct 31, 2018
airmark:

So Suarez wasn't a poacher at his peak. cheesy

I would have loved you to say this nonsense physically in the midst of professionals.

Only a fool and a blind person will call Suarez a poacher

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 10:54pm On Oct 31, 2018
Unlimited22:

Personally, I'd rather not have Luis Suarez described as a fox-in-the-box, but it's very possible a striker can combine lethal predatory instincts with strength and good linkup play etc. Just look at prime Sergio Aguero. Prime Luis Suarez.
Strikers hardly score worldies from 25 yards out, yet there are target men who are slow and ponderous and rely on brute strength and massive aerial abilities and are excellent at bringing others into play.
In my opinion, the term is quite loose. Anyone who is sharp and scores lots can fit that bill.

A deadly striker, a player who scores most goals in the box, not particularly skillful but scores a lot of goals. .
Example: (Headline) Rasmussen: I’m a fox in the box. Morten Rasmussen has told Celtic fans the Parkhead club have signed an old-fashioned penalty box striker.

http://languagecaster.com/football-glossary-fox-in-the-box/

Who will watch Suarez and say the bold about him
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 11:02pm On Oct 31, 2018
raumdeuter:

Only a fool and a blind person will call Suarez a poacher

Squawka is a fool. cheesy grin

Cc unlimited22 hanksanuku patrickmufc

2 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 11:08pm On Oct 31, 2018
airmark:

Squawka is a fool. cheesy grin

Cc unlimited22 hanksanuku patrickmufc

What is the meaning of this rubbish? How will someone watch Suarez and claim he is a poacher. That is why its important to have your own brain and not depend on people to think for you
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by EvilMetahuman: 11:11pm On Oct 31, 2018
Unlimited22:

Worst game under Sarri so far IMO. We were very lucky to win.
lol but derby is not a bad team.

I was shocked when we parked the bus towards the end grin

Our defenders though.
No wonder conte failed last season.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 11:13pm On Oct 31, 2018
raumdeuter:

[s]
What is the meaning of this rubbish? How will someone watch Suarez and claim he is a poacher. That is why its important to have your own brain and not depend on people to think for you[/s]

I was expecting you to say I wrote that article for squawka. cheesy

Shameless man. I warned you this morning, keep disgracing yourself. cheesy cheesy cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 11:18pm On Oct 31, 2018
airmark:
I was expecting you to say I wrote that article for squawka. cheesy
Shameless man. I warned you this morning, keep disgracing yourself. cheesy cheesy cheesy

The most important thing is to use your brain if you have one.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6190) (6191) (6192) (6193) (6194) (6195) (6196) ... (19194) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: viciati(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.