Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,807 members, 7,810,100 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:44 PM

Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully (60529 Views)

Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments / The Role Of Land Surveyors In Nigerian Real Estate / Fraudulent Land Sale, What Do I Do To Get My Money Back From The Lawyer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by geomatics: 10:34am On Dec 29, 2013
Injector: I really don't know how To use this site, but can anyone tell me how to get/obtain a C of O, I guess u guys understand me, cuz lately I have been using money for something I don't know.thanks

I will advise you go to the Ministry of lands in your state and make this inquiry. This must have been after you have registered your land. The time you obtain the C of O varies from state to state. Some may take six months while some can take up to 2years. I advise clients to do it themselves because they may run out of patience while using any agent. I prefer going straight to the directors of Land, Planning, Surveyor General etc for any inquiry.
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by donchichi: 9:06am On Jan 07, 2014
donchichi:

Thanks.

I've come accross a scenario where there were 3 plots and 3 survey plans but ALL 3 plans looked the same and the plots shown on them had the 3 plots joined together to resemble a single plot. Is this normal?

Please let me know.

Hi Geomatics or any expert, Can you help me answer my question to lawyer above?
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by geomatics: 12:07pm On Jan 07, 2014
donchichi:

Thanks.

I've come accross a scenario where there were 3 plots and 3 survey plans but ALL 3 plans looked the same and the plots shown on them had the 3 plots joined together to resemble a single plot. Is this normal?

@donchichi, you must have come across a layout survey. In a layout survey plan, you will notice that almost all the plots have equal dimensions and area. Three plots may be co-joined if one person owns the three plots. It can also be co-joined if two plots are making reference to a particular plot of interest especially in red copy production. It is normal donchichi.
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by donchichi: 3:55pm On Jan 07, 2014
geomatics:

@donchichi, you must have come across a layout survey. In a layout survey plan, you will notice that almost all the plots have equal dimensions and area. Three plots may be co-joined if one person owns the three plots. It can also be co-joined if two plots are making reference to a particular plot of interest especially in red copy production. It is normal donchichi.

Oh ok. That makes sense now. i've been racking my brains and getting worried because a friend recently had a plan done for each of his 2 plots but all the plans(4 in number) are very identical. how will this affect the sale of the other plot if he decides to sell it?

Also, for my learning, what other types of survey are there apart from layout survey? Please let me know.

Thanks.
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by geomatics: 9:20pm On Jan 07, 2014
donchichi:

Oh ok. That makes sense now. i've been racking my brains and getting worried because a friend recently had a plan done for each of his 2 plots but all the plans(4 in number) are very identical. how will this affect the sale of the other plot if he decides to sell it?

Also, for my learning, what other types of survey are there apart from layout survey? Please let me know.

Thanks.

a)how will this affect the sale of the other plot if he decides to sell it?
It doesn't affect the sale of the other plot in any way. As far as the land belongs to him, he can sell it no matter how the land is represented on a survey plan.

b)what other types of survey are there apart from layout survey?
Apart from the layout survey, we have the following types of survey;

Boundary Survey: A survey for the express purpose of locating the corners and boundary lines of a given parcel of land. This involves record and field research, measurements, and computations to establish boundary lines in conformance with the Professional Land Surveyor Act. Easement lines may also be located and/or established with this type of survey.(basis of this topic)

Topographic Survey: A survey locating topographic features - natural and man made - such as buildings, improvements, fences, elevations, trees, streams, contours of the land, etc. This type of survey may be required by a governmental agency, or may be used by engineers and/or architects for design of improvements or developments on a site.

Site Planning Survey: A combination of boundary and topographic surveys for preparation of a site plan to be used for designing improvements or developments.

Subdivision Survey: The subdivision of a tract of land into smaller parcels, showing monumentation and survey data on a map, in conformance with local ordinances and the Subdivision Map Act.(can be regarded as layout survey)

Control Survey: Precise location of horizontal and vertical positions of points for use in boundary determination, mapping from aerial photographs, construction staking, and other related purposes.

Court Exhibit (Land in Dispute)Survey: Analysis of various legal description and survey maps, field locating of record, existing monuments, and physical features, and mapping showing this information for the purpose of presenting a visual exhibit to be used in a courtroom.

Construction Survey: Construction staking of improvements shown on improvement plans for control of construction on developments for roads, buildings, pipelines, etc.

Hydrographic/Marine Survey: Marine surveyors measure harbors, rivers, and other bodies of water. They determine the depth of the water through measuring sound waves in relation to nearby landmasses. Their work is essential for planning and constructing navigation projects, such as breakwaters, dams, piers, marinas, and bridges, and for preparing nautical charts and maps.

Mining Survey: Mine surveyors make surface and underground surveys, preparing maps of mines and mining operations. Such maps are helpful in examining underground passages within the levels of a mine and assessing the volume and location of raw material available.

Geophysical/Oil location Survey: Geophysical prospecting surveyors locate and mark sites considered likely to contain petroleum deposits. Oil-well directional surveyors use sonic, electronic, and nuclear measuring instruments to gauge the presence and amount of oil- and gas-bearing reservoirs.

Pipeline/Route Survey: Pipeline surveyors determine rights-of-way for oil construction projects, providing information essential to the preparation for and laying of the lines.

Geodetic Survey: Geodetic surveyors measure large masses of land, sea, and space that must take into account the curvature of the earth and its geo-physical characteristics. Their work is helpful in establishing points of reference for smaller land surveys, determining national boundaries, and preparing maps.

Photogrammetric Survey: Photogrammetric engineers determine the contour of an area to show elevations and depressions and indicate such features as mountains, lakes, rivers, forests, roads, farms, buildings, and other landmarks. Aerial, land, and water photographs are taken with special equipment able to capture images of very large areas. From these pictures, accurate measurements of the terrain and surface features can be made. These surveys are helpful in construction projects and in the preparation of topographical maps. Photogrammetry is particularly helpful in charting areas that are inaccessible or difficult to travel.

Others are Dimensional Control Measurement, Digital Mapping, Deformation Monitoring Survey etc.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by donchichi: 3:27pm On Jan 08, 2014
geomatics:

a)how will this affect the sale of the other plot if he decides to sell it?
It doesn't affect the sale of the other plot in any way. As far as the land belongs to him, he can sell it no matter how the land is represented on a survey plan.

b)what other types of survey are there apart from layout survey?
Apart from the layout survey, we have the following types of survey;

Boundary Survey: A survey for the express purpose of locating the corners and boundary lines of a given parcel of land. This involves record and field research, measurements, and computations to establish boundary lines in conformance with the Professional Land Surveyor Act. Easement lines may also be located and/or established with this type of survey.(basis of this topic)

Topographic Survey: A survey locating topographic features - natural and man made - such as buildings, improvements, fences, elevations, trees, streams, contours of the land, etc. This type of survey may be required by a governmental agency, or may be used by engineers and/or architects for design of improvements or developments on a site.

Site Planning Survey: A combination of boundary and topographic surveys for preparation of a site plan to be used for designing improvements or developments.

Subdivision Survey: The subdivision of a tract of land into smaller parcels, showing monumentation and survey data on a map, in conformance with local ordinances and the Subdivision Map Act.(can be regarded as layout survey)

Control Survey: Precise location of horizontal and vertical positions of points for use in boundary determination, mapping from aerial photographs, construction staking, and other related purposes.

Court Exhibit (Land in Dispute)Survey: Analysis of various legal description and survey maps, field locating of record, existing monuments, and physical features, and mapping showing this information for the purpose of presenting a visual exhibit to be used in a courtroom.

Construction Survey: Construction staking of improvements shown on improvement plans for control of construction on developments for roads, buildings, pipelines, etc.

Hydrographic/Marine Survey: Marine surveyors measure harbors, rivers, and other bodies of water. They determine the depth of the water through measuring sound waves in relation to nearby landmasses. Their work is essential for planning and constructing navigation projects, such as breakwaters, dams, piers, marinas, and bridges, and for preparing nautical charts and maps.

Mining Survey: Mine surveyors make surface and underground surveys, preparing maps of mines and mining operations. Such maps are helpful in examining underground passages within the levels of a mine and assessing the volume and location of raw material available.

Geophysical/Oil location Survey: Geophysical prospecting surveyors locate and mark sites considered likely to contain petroleum deposits. Oil-well directional surveyors use sonic, electronic, and nuclear measuring instruments to gauge the presence and amount of oil- and gas-bearing reservoirs.

Pipeline/Route Survey: Pipeline surveyors determine rights-of-way for oil construction projects, providing information essential to the preparation for and laying of the lines.

Geodetic Survey: Geodetic surveyors measure large masses of land, sea, and space that must take into account the curvature of the earth and its geo-physical characteristics. Their work is helpful in establishing points of reference for smaller land surveys, determining national boundaries, and preparing maps.

Photogrammetric Survey: Photogrammetric engineers determine the contour of an area to show elevations and depressions and indicate such features as mountains, lakes, rivers, forests, roads, farms, buildings, and other landmarks. Aerial, land, and water photographs are taken with special equipment able to capture images of very large areas. From these pictures, accurate measurements of the terrain and surface features can be made. These surveys are helpful in construction projects and in the preparation of topographical maps. Photogrammetry is particularly helpful in charting areas that are inaccessible or difficult to travel.

Others are Dimensional Control Measurement, Digital Mapping, Deformation Monitoring Survey etc.

Didnt expect this much info. Thanks alot man.

Very much appreciated.
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by EKOboy1: 5:31am On Jul 11, 2015
Point of correction
If a survey plan has not got the stamp" free from acquisition" stamped on it, does not make the survey plan invalid,fake or useless.
Thousands of Survey plans will not have this stamp on them. One of the main reasons why the stamp is surfacing today is because most of the Lands"Under village Excision"have been depleted,sold,built,etc etc to the point were Govt acquired Land is now been sold. Hence the need to state if the land is free from acquisition or not. It is not a legal requirement on any Survey plan.

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by ray48: 10:15pm On Jul 11, 2015
Very informative
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by CaptainJason: 5:21pm On Jul 12, 2015
NICE!
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by PrinceE46: 12:38pm On Sep 21, 2015
hmmm truly this guy name is whatever he calls himself or you call him......
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by obidevine(m): 10:32am On Oct 17, 2015
lawyer:
5. Another Important part of the Survey plan that you must look out for is the Survey Plan Number. This is a classic scam that some surveyors use to deceive people. They will draw up the whole survey plan but conveniently hide the Survey Plan. Without a survey plan number your survey is as good as useless. Your child’s drawings are probably worth more in Value than your survey plan. grin

Without that Survey plan number, it cannot be lodged at the surveyor general’s office for record purposes, it cannot be used to draft your agreement, it cannot be used to trace the red copy and I cannot be used as evidence in court during a property law suit because its defective from the start.

It is always at the lower right hand corner of a survey plan and because these dodgy surveyors don’t intend to lodge the red copy they end up not giving the survey a Survey plan number. They will tell you the have lodged it but it hasn’t been lodged because there is no record file of it. Always check for the Survey plan number at first glance.
... The law you are much too much ... Abeg keep exposing them... Na u be the man biko.
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by omokayodey: 7:30am On Jul 04, 2016
You have really saved someone from being a victim. Thank you so much. After reading this, i discover in am in big sh*t as regarding the survey plan document. Please I would like to have your e-mail address to discuss some problems i am having now and how you can be of help. This is mine:hammedomokayodey@gmail.com. Thank you in anticipation and God bless
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by mtngloetiartel: 12:19am On Aug 03, 2016
honmusa:
Is it possible for more than a person to have in their possession original survey plan to the same land ?
yes o! It's so pathetic
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by Popsyfarian: 7:32am On Jan 06, 2017
Hello can I have your contact so that we can work things out ?
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by Popsyfarian: 7:35am On Jan 06, 2017
You can email me on yemithg11@yahoo.com
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by dejiotus: 6:58am On Oct 01, 2017
Good morning and happy independence day to all the gurus in the house.
I will be very grateful if gurus in the house can introduce me to a god fearing registered surveyor, and advise me about the current survey cost of a land with semi detached house situated at Magodo Shangisha (phase 2). The land size is about 336 square meters(half of the original plot).

The original property owner had a C of O, and the total land size was 671 square meters; on which he built 2 wings of 5 bedrooms duplex, separated in the middle by a common dividing wall (semi detached). The 2 wings were purchased by 2 separate owners. I was advised that the two new owners of each wing are required to survey their wings individually, and submit same at the land registry, before perfection can commence. Many thanks
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by Hassanabioduna(m): 7:17am On Oct 01, 2017
dejiotus:

Good morning and happy independence day to all the gurus in the house.
I will be very grateful if gurus in the house can introduce me to a god fearing registered surveyor, and advise me about the current survey cost of a land with semi detached house situated at Magodo Shangisha (phase 2). The land size is about 336 square meters(half of the original plot).

The original property owner had a C of O, and the total land size was 671 square meters; on which he built 2 wings of 5 bedrooms duplex, separated in the middle by a common dividing wall (semi detached). The 2 wings were purchased by 2 separate owners. I was advised that the two new owners of each wing are required to survey their wings individually, and submit same at the land registry, before perfection can commence. Many thanks

Magodo is a Government scheme and has to be signed by the surveyor General
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by dejiotus: 12:01pm On Oct 08, 2017
Hassanabioduna:

Magodo is a Government scheme and has to be signed by the surveyor General

Hi Hassanabioduna,
Many thanks for your advice. Just seen your update. I am actually very keen to have a rough estimate about the potential cost of doing the survey. A figure of 750K has been mentioned, but any legit advice on how to bring the cost down will be very helpful. Happy Sunday to all our guests in the house. Many thanks.
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by Hassanabioduna(m): 6:14am On Oct 27, 2017
dejiotus:

Hi Hassanabioduna,
Many thanks for your advice. Just seen your update. I am actually very keen to have a rough estimate about the potential cost of doing the survey. A figure of 750K has been mentioned, but any legit advice on how to bring the cost down will be very helpful. Happy Sunday to all our guests in the house. Many thanks.

that's the best price so far. You can't see anything lower than that
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by dejiotus: 1:53pm On Nov 04, 2017
Hassanabioduna:

that's the best price so far. You can't see anything lower than that
Many thanks for the advice and update. Kind regards
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by The10thMan(m): 1:03pm On Mar 03, 2019
lawyer:
Quite a while peeps. Una don wahala me tire to write articles, so as a servant to the people I must heed that clarion call. wink

Invariably, this survey plan as presented by a land seller/agent is likely/probably not genuine at all?

Got this while searching for a Property to do a Bar, Lounge, Restaurant & Cafe Business on the island axis.

Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by OlaogunMichael(m): 9:27am On Sep 04, 2020
Good day everyone. I would love to bring your attention to a little information lawyer shared and i will like to pinpoint that it is misinformation. I am a surveyor by profession.
Firstly the fact that a survey plan is not stamped free from known government acquisition doesn't mean that the survey is a scam. Such survey might have it records on the gazzete office of the lagos state ministry of lands, that does not mean the surveyor is a scammer or the survey is fake nor invalid it is very much a true survey copy.
Re: Top 10 Land Survey Plan Scams By Fraudulent Land Surveyors! Study It Carefully by steve6: 11:14am On Mar 09, 2022
Nice info

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cement, Sand And Granite (concrete) Mix Explained / Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos / How I Pay My Rent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.