Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,502 members, 7,816,193 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja (40866 Views)

Ibe Kachikwu And Wife, Elizabeth, At Thisday Awards (pic) / American Anthem Announced Before Nigeria’s At THISDAY Awards / Another Bomb Blast At ThisDay Office In Kaduna, 10 Killed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 26, 2012
Everyone keeps shying away from the problems.

The real problems affecting Nigeria are: poverty, corruption, and inequality. Boko haram is a non-issue - there won't be boko haram, if those youths had a future. Something to aspire to in life, and a reason to be alive.

Are those people looting the bomb scene boko haram as well??

Nigeria is a failed state, period.

1 Like

Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by forkadict(m): 4:14pm On Apr 26, 2012
Okija_juju:

ITs easy to get carried away by cheap sentiments. . . But let me ask you this;

1. If you were Jonathan, what would you do?!

2. Since you are not Jonathan, what is your solution to the Boko Haramites?

Please ask me the same questions and i will school you.
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by wirinet(m): 4:15pm On Apr 26, 2012
Okija_juju:

I'm so sorry for you, if all this rubbish you said made sense to you.
On september 11th 2001, Two commercial jetliners were flown into the World Trade Center.
Same day, another plane was flown into the ground close to the pentagon.
The President of the U.S Mr George Bush pointed fingers at Al-queda and Bin Laden.
Several U.S platoons, Commands and troops were moved into Afghanistan... It was a full blown war.
10 years later and several billons of dollars spent and Binladen was only killed in May 2011.
That was a full war situation o!!
3 years after Sept 11 2001, Bush says Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and ordered an invasion of Iraq.
He even called it the "axis of evil".
Barely 1month after the invasion, Baghdad was siezed and President bush was caught on camera saying "We won". .
This is over 7 years after that famous speech on that Navy sheep.
Over 500 U.S Army troops have died since then. Several billions spent.
Do we blame it on bush?!

You seem to think that the president sits in Aso rock and has CCTV covering Nigeria.
In your wisdom, you actually think he knows where the Boko Haramites are hiding and hasnt captured them?!
What do you want Jonathan to do for you please?!
He came out the other day and said the Nigerian Army was not up to international standard, Nigerians attacked him.
He sends your international standard Army to Kaduna and thay cant even catch boko. (Although I dont blame them).
Do you realize how difficult it is to fight a group like boko Haram in non-war situation?!

Nwokem have a rethink. . Its not wise to keep blaming the president for evry and anything. . He isnt GOD!

I am shock by the level of your reasoning. You are behaving like a drowning man clutching onto straws for survival -logically that is.

What happened after 9/11, did George Bush give meaningless speeches or did his spin doctors reel out propaganda on how the president was not responsible for 9/11?
The president and commander in chief of the armed forced threatened the whole world with the "if you are not for us, you are against us" speech, and invaded Afghanistan even without congressional approval or UN approval and used the momentum to attack Iraq for economic reasons.
So have there been a terrorist attack on US soil since then. You are comparing that to our own C in C who makes all kinds of useless speeches on how his government has been infiltrated by Boko Haram and how powerless he is.

What about the UK bombings? Have there been any terrorist attack in UK since 7/7? Did Gordon Brown give excuses on why they cannot catch the terrorists?

You are just jumbling unrelated issues together to excuse GEJ. If GEJ is not siting on his add watching CCTV or cable TV, then what is he doing about the bombing and maiming of Nigerians now an almost daily affair.

Why can't he capture the boko haram leader, even if it involves threatening or invading the country habouring him. What is he doing with the close to 1 trillion naira security budget. He is the commander of chief of ALL the Nigerian armed forces.

how can a general call his troops substandard and tomorrow you would order them to the battlefield, that is the most stupid statement by a general in the history of the world. If they are truly substandard, whose job is it to make sure they measure up to standard?

If GEJ feels he is not competent to handle Boko Haram, let him resign honourably and let Sambo try. If it is beyond sambo, then he too should resign, maybe David Mark can bring the situation under control. We need action and we need it yesterday.
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by Okijajuju1(m): 4:17pm On Apr 26, 2012
maclatunji: ThisDay Newspaper office in Abuja Attacked in Aparent Suicide Bombing

At least one death and several casualties have been reported in an attack this morning at ThisDay office in Jabi, Abuja. This story is still developing but you might recall that the United States Embassy in Abuja put out a warning to its citizens about a potential attack on Nigeria's capital, Abuja 9 days ago.

[b]The warning which was contained in a statement dated 17th April, 2012 amongst other things read:

The U.S. Mission in Nigeria issues the following emergency message for the attention of all U.S. citizens in Abuja, Nigeria. The U.S. Embassy has received information that Boko Haram may be planning attacks in Abuja, Nigeria, including against hotels frequently visited by Westerners. The U.S. government has no additional information regarding the timing of these possible attacks. [size=18pt] The Nigerian government is aware of the threat and is actively implementing security measures.[/size]

The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens to exercise additional caution. Please maintain a high state of vigilance and personal security awareness, particularly in and around Abuja, Federal Capital Territory, near Nigerian government facilities, diplomatic missions, large gathering places, hotels, markets and malls, and places of worship. We advise all U.S. citizens to review their personal security plans, remain aware of their surroundings, including local events, monitor local news stations for updates, and report specific incidences of targeted violence to the U.S. Embassy in Abuja or the U. S. Consulate General in Lagos at the numbers below. For additional information, please refer to “A Safe Trip Abroad.[/b]

It is yet to be confirmed who is behind these attacks but immediate suspicion would be on Boko Haram, the religious sect that has waged a campaign of terror in Nigeria for close to 5 years now.

http://coolstuff49ja..com/2012/04/thisday-newspapers-in-abuja-attacked-in.html

@bolded, see America taking responsibility for the safety of Americans in Nigeria. And we have some people here telling us that we should not hold our Chief Security Officer and Commander-in-Chief of our armed forces for the widespread lack of security in OUR OWN COUNTRY.

Nigerians are we this slow?

Mr. Fast NIGERIAN, how did you miss that highlighted part of that message?! What exactly is in that message that the Nigerian Government hasnt communicated to us in the past?!

My friend get off of Jonathans diick already!!

Since you are the only intelligent Nigerian, what is your solution to this problem?! Its easy to sit in front of a computer and point fingers. .
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by Nobody: 4:18pm On Apr 26, 2012
And all those beating the drums of disintegration - I pity you myopic folks.

Even if you divide the country today, that won't change anything with the mentality of those who occupy Nigeria today. It's still going to be the same people, with the same thieving politicians running the show. South sudan is a country today, what's their achievement?? It's still the same medieval people in the same space - while those who divided the country are enjoying the free flow of their oil wealth.

Nigeria needs a strong,and selfless leader - Goodluck Jonathan JonaFAIL is a weakling, he shouldn't be in-charge of a country as big as Nigeria. The guy can't even control his own wife, yet he's is the leader of the most populous black country on the planet.......
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by forkadict(m): 4:20pm On Apr 26, 2012
Beaf: Lol! These days, I see clowns like fork addict and olualfred dancing the id!ots dance and I decide to just watch, be entertained and have a good laugh.

Which kind dance you dey dance? I have said it on this forum time and again and i will not get tired.

For all those who downplay this evil Boko haram threat on or off nairaland will themselves directly or indirectly have a dose of the medicine so they'll appreciate just how sweet it is. And BEEF, you are first in line murraforker!
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by Nobody: 4:24pm On Apr 26, 2012
Okija_juju:
Mr. Fast NIGERIAN, how did you miss that highlighted part of that message?! What exactly is in that message that the Nigerian Government hasnt communicated to us in the past?!

Since you are the only intelligent Nigerian, what is your solution to this problem?! Its easy to sit in front of a computer and point fingers. .

It seems you're benefiting from hanging on GEJ's nutz, if you're not - you won't be supporting him. A leader is meant to show leadership - and the since the guy is basically not doing what he was elected to do, why can't leave the damn place, and go enjoy the money he has looted?
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by maclatunji: 4:24pm On Apr 26, 2012
Okija_juju:

You are trying to punch above your weight my slow friend. What do you expect the American Embassy to say: The Nigerian Government is completely useless? That is not diplomatic language now (they have said it O but in far away America, not here grin). The koko is that if they actually believed that the Nigerian government was useful to them in terms of safety of their citizens living in Nigeria, they would not have issued the warning. Of course, I don't expect people with 'arrested development' like you to understand that. Or do you want me to bring out the Nigerian government's reaction to that American Embassy Press release to destroy your silly point?
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 26, 2012
fork adict:
Which kind dance you dey dance? I have said it on this forum time and again and i will not get tired.

For all those who downplay this evil Boko haram threat on or off nairaland will themselves directly or indirectly have a dose of the medicine so they'll appreciate just how sweet it is. And BEEF, you are first in line murraforker!

Yo, ignore beaf - he's a fool. He's a paid troll!!
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by Cheester: 4:29pm On Apr 26, 2012
Which way Nigeria
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by maclatunji: 4:29pm On Apr 26, 2012
Okija_juju:

Just as it is easy to become an overnight billionaire as President and refuse to declare your assets whilst claiming to fight corruption.tongue Admit that GEJ has failed woefully by allowing Boko Haram to terrorise Nigerians at will and I will teach you a thing or two.
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by forkadict(m): 4:33pm On Apr 26, 2012
Sugardiva:

I agree with you but lets be honest. We say GEJ is incompetent, Which Nigerian Politician would do better? To me replacing Jona wld just be a case of frying pan to fire or at the very least fire to frying pan. What our Nation needs is either a division or a revolution. Personally I hv always depended solely on God for my protection. After all except God watches a house the wacthman wathcheth in vain. But that doesnt mean the watchman shldnt watch I guess.

And who says that many BH victims do not depend solely on God for their protection just like you or even more?
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by Bawss1(m): 4:34pm On Apr 26, 2012
Okija_juju:

Bawss1

I know the FBI prolly have some immigrants and suspects on their watch lists, Wire taps and all other methods they employ to check the activities of terrorists. . . But this is what I mean by "There is only that much the Americans can do". .

Before Pearl Harbour, The Americans anticipated an attack, Had the japanese Armed forces and fleets under survellance, took steps to guard against an attack, yet. . . .

My own solution to this "IF I WERE THE PRESIDENT" would be a sting operation. . . That would be aimed at getting the sponsors and not the bombers. But sting takes alot of time to perfect (and maybe that what Jonathan is doing).

9/11, similar story. . . We all heard the conspiracy theories that flew around. . . Still, a couple of Arabs came to the U.S, registered in flight schools across the country and learnt how to fly commercial jets and still succeeded in carrying out their attack. . .

The fact remains that these terrorists have the element of surprise on their side. . They know much more about the government than the government knows about them... Its not like they have a timetable of attacks that specifies where and how. . . The U.S with all its technology has some sleeper cells under surveillance but I can assure you that they dont know all...

In Nigeria its worse. . . No reliable data base of any kind, The armed forces are poorly equipped to fight this type of non-conflict type war. . If it was like the MEND group that had a uniform, a logo, a base and a known area of operation (Niger Delta Creeks & waterways) with easily recognisable targets (Oil installations, Expartraites and Government officials) then they would have had some sort of advantage. . But these NappyHead terrorists have no known target as they up and blow up wherever whenever (both musims and christians alike, government and non-government, e.t.c), no known base and no specific area of operation (today Kano, tomorrow Jos, next Bauchi. . .e.t.c), and the ARMY cant just walk in and go house to house and do whatever it takes to get the job done as this is a democratic setting and the state they are in are not a war zone, howelse do we want this menace to be solved. . . . . Thats what I mean by that.
@Okija Juju

In the US since 9/11 the measures put in place by their government have prevented any attacks in their country, this goes to show that certain things can be checked.

In Nigeria you say it is worse right? No reliable database of any kind - whose responsibility is that? The armed forces are poorly equipped/trained? Yet we have a leader ready to announce that terrorism will end soon. See where I'm going with this? Anyhow you cut it Mr President is made to look ineffective. Still as I said earlier blaming him for these attacks is ridiculous but one can understand why the uninformed in their fury are quick to call for his removal. Fact is, one is hard pressed to believe that this government is sincere in tackling terrorism. A CCTV project was started sometime last year in Abuja yet some reports have it that up till now it is yet to be completed.If they claim to know the sponsors how come no arrests have been made.(Or maybe arrests have been made in camera and I'm not aware)

Anyways in addition to all that has been put in place till date I hope GEJ stops making remarks that appear to quickly dismiss the threat that Boko Haram poses. There is no quick fix to this challenge that we are faced with, so let's deal with it with the seriousness it requires.
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by farolee(m): 4:35pm On Apr 26, 2012
bibina:

so its GEJ who bombed THISDAY office? Eediot!
An empty head is a load to the neck.so is your fathers' sister that determine what happen in your family and not your father again? Nairalander who be 9ja president? Empty head.
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by forkadict(m): 4:39pm On Apr 26, 2012
maclatunji: ThisDay Newspaper office in Abuja Attacked in Aparent Suicide Bombing

At least one death and several casualties have been reported in an attack this morning at ThisDay office in Jabi, Abuja. This story is still developing but you might recall that the United States Embassy in Abuja put out a warning to its citizens about a potential attack on Nigeria's capital, Abuja 9 days ago.

[b]The warning which was contained in a statement dated 17th April, 2012 amongst other things read:

The U.S. Mission in Nigeria issues the following emergency message for the attention of all U.S. citizens in Abuja, Nigeria. The U.S. Embassy has received information that Boko Haram may be planning attacks in Abuja, Nigeria, including against hotels frequently visited by Westerners. The U.S. government has no additional information regarding the timing of these possible attacks. The Nigerian government is aware of the threat and is actively implementing security measures.

The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens to exercise additional caution. Please maintain a high state of vigilance and personal security awareness, particularly in and around Abuja, Federal Capital Territory, near Nigerian government facilities, diplomatic missions, large gathering places, hotels, markets and malls, and places of worship. We advise all U.S. citizens to review their personal security plans, remain aware of their surroundings, including local events, monitor local news stations for updates, and report specific incidences of targeted violence to the U.S. Embassy in Abuja or the U. S. Consulate General in Lagos at the numbers below. For additional information, please refer to “A Safe Trip Abroad.[/b]

It is yet to be confirmed who is behind these attacks but immediate suspicion would be on Boko Haram, the religious sect that has waged a campaign of terror in Nigeria for close to 5 years now.

http://coolstuff49ja..com/2012/04/thisday-newspapers-in-abuja-attacked-in.html

@bolded, see America taking responsibility for the safety of Americans in Nigeria. And we have some people here telling us that we should not hold our Chief Security Officer and Commander-in-Chief of our armed forces for the widespread lack of security in OUR OWN COUNTRY.

Nigerians are we this slow?

Nice one guy.

I have asked them to at least tell us who we can hold responsible if not GEJ. Dem no gree talk anything.

TO ALL PRO GEJ GUYS ON NL: PLEASE SINCE YOU GUYS SAY WE SHOULDN'T HOLD JONATHAN RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR SAFETY AND SECURITY AS NIGERIANS RESIDENT IN NAIJA. WHO DO WE HOLD RESPONSIBLE PLEASE? I NEED YOU GUYS TO ANSWER ME

1 Like

Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by Okijajuju1(m): 4:42pm On Apr 26, 2012
wirinet:

I am shock by the level of your reasoning. You are behaving like a drowning man clutching onto straws for survival -logically that is.

What happened after 9/11, did George Bush give meaningless speeches or did his spin doctors reel out propaganda on how the president was not responsible for 9/11?
The president and commander in chief of the armed forced threatened the whole world with the "if you are not for us, you are against us" speech, and invaded Afghanistan even without congressional approval or UN approval and used the momentum to attack Iraq for economic reasons.
So have there been a terrorist attack on US soil since then. You are comparing that to our own C in C who makes all kinds of useless speeches on how his government has been infiltrated by Boko Haram and how powerless he is.

What about the UK bombings? Have there been any terrorist attack in UK since 7/7? Did Gordon Brown give excuses on why they cannot catch the terrorists?

You are just jumbling unrelated issues together to excuse GEJ. If GEJ is not siting on his add watching CCTV or cable TV, then what is he doing about the bombing and maiming of Nigerians now an almost daily affair.

Why can't he capture the boko haram leader, even if it involves threatening or invading the country habouring him. What is he doing with the close to 1 trillion naira security budget. He is the commander of chief of ALL the Nigerian armed forces.

how can a general call his troops substandard and tomorrow you would order them to the battlefield, that is the most stupid statement by a general in the history of the world. If they are truly substandard, whose job is it to make sure they measure up to standard?

If GEJ feels he is not competent to handle Boko Haram, let him resign honourably and let Sambo try. If it is beyond sambo, then he too should resign, maybe David Mark can bring the situation under control. We need action and we need it yesterday.

How does one invade ones own country?! Bush could do that because the FBI and Homeland security knew that the bombers were a sleeper cell of Al-queda that they had under surveillance for a while and lost. . . They tracked their financing to Afghanistan and confirmed the presence of Mr. Bin Laden on afghani soil. The Americans could afford to drop over 100million dollars worth of tomahawk missiles on Afghanistan because they werent fighting on U.S soil and no American lives were at stake. . Jonathan does not have all these luxuries. . The security outfits in Nigeria are weak, the terrorists are home grown, the places they live in are surrounded by innocent Nigerians, he cant just declare marshall law in any northern state for fear of inciting ethnic sentiments, e.t.c...

Who is the enemy?!

Can you spot a Boko haram member on the streets of Kaduna or Kano if you saw one?

Do you know the name and address of the Boko Haram leader?!

Do we Have CCTV footage of any bombing in Nigeria like scotland yard did during the london bombings?!

Are our security agencies as equipped as that of the Uk/U.S/Canada and most of europe?!

DO you know that the 1 trillion Naira security budget incldes and is to restricted to; Pensions, Equipments, Salaries, Logistics and everything pertaining to security to be shared amongst the Army, Navy, Airforce, SSS, Police and Civil Defence (amongst others)?!

If the president is indeed doing something about Boko Haram, I dont think it would be wise for him to come out on T.V and read out a manifesto of the steps he has taken thus far as even the BOKO HARAM guys do watch t.v, listen to radio and are on Nairaland as well. He is prolly keeping his cards close to his chest while trying to keep the Ship called Nigeria afloat.

The Nigerian troops are substandard, a trip into your neighbourhood military base would prove so, and inasmuch as it is the Presidents duty to bring them up to par, we as a nation dont have that kind of money. . Go find out how much 1 Lockheed Martin F-35 lightening II or C-130 Hercules aircraft costs or even a MIG then you would understand. . The rot in the country is over 30 years old, and you want Jonathan to fix it all in under a year?! IS HE GOD?!

1 Like

Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by forkadict(m): 4:50pm On Apr 26, 2012
Okija_juju:

How does one invade ones own country?! Bush could do that because the FBI and Homeland security knew that the bombers were a sleeper cell of Al-queda that they had under surveillance for a while and lost. . . They tracked their financing to Afghanistan and confirmed the presence of Mr. Bin Laden on afghani soil. The Americans could afford to drop over 100million dollars worth of tomahawk missiles on Afghanistan because they werent fighting on U.S soil and no American lives were at stake. . Jonathan does not have all these luxuries. . The security outfits in Nigeria are weak, the terrorists are home grown, the places they live in are surrounded by innocent Nigerians, he cant just declare marshall law in any northern state for fear of inciting ethnic sentiments, e.t.c...

Who is the enemy?!

Can you spot a Boko haram member on the streets of Kaduna or Kano if you saw one?

Do we Have CCTV footage of any bombing in Nigeria like scotland yard did during the london bombings?!

Are our security agencies as equipped as that of the Uk/U.S/Canada and most of europe?!

DO you know that the 1 trillion Naira security budget incldes and is to restricted to; Pensions, Equipments, Salaries, Logistics and everything pertaining to security to be shared amongst the Army, Navy, Airforce, SSS, Police and Civil Defence (amongst others)?!

If the president is indeed doing something about Boko Haram, I dont think it would be wise for him to come out on T.V and read out a manifesto of the steps he has taken thus far as even the BOKO HARAM guys do watch t.v, listen to radio and are on Nairaland as well. He is prolly keeping his cards close to his chest while trying to keep the Ship called Nigeria afloat.

The Nigerian troops are substandard, a trip into your neighbourhood military base would prove so, and inasmuch as it is the Presidents duty to bring them up to par, we as a nation dont have that kind of money. . Go find out how much 1 Lockheed Martin F-35 lightening II or C-130 Hercules aircraft costs or even a MIG then you would understand. . The rot in the country is over 30 years old, and you want Jonathan to fix it all in under a year?! IS HE GOD?!

I hereby ask you a few questions and i need you to respond to each.

1. Are you aware that GEJ himself declared publicly that Boko sponsors are highly placed in his government? Answer yes or no

Your response will determine my next line of questioning.
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by forkadict(m): 4:51pm On Apr 26, 2012
[/b]TO ALL PRO GEJ GUYS ON NL: PLEASE SINCE YOU GUYS SAY WE SHOULDN'T HOLD JONATHAN RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR SAFETY AND SECURITY AS NIGERIANS RESIDENT IN NAIJA. WHO DO WE HOLD RESPONSIBLE PLEASE? I NEED YOU GUYS TO ANSWER ME
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by nigexport: 4:53pm On Apr 26, 2012
shymmex: Everyone keeps shying away from the problems.

The real problems affecting Nigeria are: poverty, corruption, and inequality. Boko haram is a non-issue - there won't be boko haram, if those youths had a future. Something to aspire to in life, and a reason to be alive.

Are those people looting the bomb scene boko haram as well??

Nigeria is a failed state, period.

This has nothing to do with poverty, corruption and inequality. It's based on an "idealogy", plain and simple. The suicide bombers are just gullible fools who will all end up in hell-fire, their sponsorers are greedy northern politicians who have been sidelined from the political landscape.
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by Okijajuju1(m): 4:54pm On Apr 26, 2012
fork adict: [/b]TO ALL PRO GEJ GUYS ON NL: PLEASE SINCE YOU GUYS SAY WE SHOULDN'T HOLD JONATHAN RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR SAFETY AND SECURITY AS NIGERIANS RESIDENT IN NAIJA. WHO DO WE HOLD RESPONSIBLE PLEASE? I NEED YOU GUYS TO ANSWER ME

GOD!!
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by forkadict(m): 4:56pm On Apr 26, 2012
Okija_juju:

GOD!!

LMFAO! Are you kidding?
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by Wallie(m): 4:59pm On Apr 26, 2012
GEJ is not God and he never claimed to be but he’s the President of Nigeria!

If a company is not doing well, you blame the CEO. That does not necessarily mean that the CEO was directly responsible for what went wrong but it means that whatever happened happened during his watch!

Who got blamed for the recession/unemployment that happened in America? Bush and Obama! Bush for causing it and Obama for not doing enough for getting us out of it. Was Bush personally responsible? Nope. It started with the credit default swaps on Wall Street. Can Obama personally put America to work? Nope, private companies do that!

The person in charge takes the blame or credit for anything that happens during their watch. Can a president control everything that happens? Nope but they sure as hell can try their best to either control or mitigate it. Even if another attack were to happen in the US today, nobody would blame the President for not doing enough!

Due to that single attack on 9/11, the US has spent over $4 trillion and counting fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Now, you can’t even go through any international airport around the world without getting screened by x-ray machines.

I actually see this Boko Haram menace as an opportunity to upgrade our security apparatus and create new industries. The war on terror was a great way for America to invest in new technologies and companies.

Someone asked what GEJ could be doing differently –
1. Bring our security apparatus into the 21st century! I’m not just talking about tanks and planes. We need to seriously upgrade our intelligence services to rival the likes of Pakistani ISI or the Israeli Mosad. I chose both countries because we probably have comparable GDPs.

2. His public utterances should inspire confidence that he’s on top of what’s going on even if he has no control! People in dire situation respond to hope, which is why religion is extremely popular in Nigeria. People that have been suffering for over many decades will keep telling you that “e go better one day”! That’s hope and it affects their outlook in life. What do you think people will do if they know that their situation will only get worse and will lead to their death?

3. Arrest and charge anybody that aids BH to court; preferably, the military court if the constitution allows for it.

4. Bring in foreign professionals for the time being to get things under control (probably done already – might be related to the June dealine).

5. Seek permission to pursue BH across Nigerian boarders into neighboring countries if need be.

6. Lastly, talk tough and be resolute!
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by Nobody: 4:59pm On Apr 26, 2012
nigexport:
This has nothing to do with poverty, corruption and inequality. It's based on an "idealogy", plain and simple. The suicide bombers are just gullible fools who will all end up in hell-fire, their sponsorers are greedy northern politicians who have been sidelined from the political landscape.

Save that bs rhetoric called ideology.. Why didn't suicide bombers exist before 9/11?? Why are there no suicide bombers in Morocco, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, and even war ravaged Sudan??

Poverty breeds what you call ideology - these guys are hopeless, that's why they fall for the indoctrination. Have you ever seen a rich and well fed suicide bomber?

And save that hell fire bs for the church goers - hell fire don't exist, just as suicide bombers ain't getting no damn 77virgins nowhere.
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by Nobody: 5:30pm On Apr 26, 2012
filia4real: I think those calling for the resignation of GEJ are not being sincere. If the aim of BH sponsors is 2 make you believe that then you are culpable. The issue here is to show those evil, selfish, and greedy people that Nigerians can no longer be taken for a ride. We can't be deceived into believing that we can't live together as one after so many years. Let our voices be one in condemning these violents instead of blaming the presido
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by jidsoon(m): 5:31pm On Apr 26, 2012
In Pictures: Bomb explosion at Thisday Newspaper in Jabi, Abuja

Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by uniquedesigns: 5:32pm On Apr 26, 2012
May God save us from this deadly pple ooo
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by 3kay945(m): 5:33pm On Apr 26, 2012
Sealeddeal: People dat blame GEJ are clueless themselves.Nigeria is a less developed society and can never be compared with London.we should bear all these in mind.even human development index is not optimal as such,people say nonsense after every bomb blast.Firstly,consider urself being the president,what will do dat GEJ never done? We should be criticising constructively and not criticising out of sheer hatred.Security chiefs should be questioned.those dat indict powerful figures from north does not have evidence.everybody suspects dem even president bt no one got evidence.if u question Buhari without evidence,u might end up increasing his popularity and so on.
Bros,
I dont think you know the meaning of GOVERNMENT or what it entails.
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by neksummi(m): 5:42pm On Apr 26, 2012
God is watching and He'll fight for this country. And for the perpetrators and
their sponsors, they'll soon go the way of the Bin Ladins. The end of the wicked
is always destruction!
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by crackhouse(m): 5:55pm On Apr 26, 2012
JimOvia: Its true. I'm a living witness. Just close to my office. The aftershocks nearly deafened us. I never thought in my life that a 'breaking news' will occur close to me ever. I thank God for sparing us because it was so so close. Unbelievable. Here in abuja. I have since gone home. The crazy thing is that people were even running to where it happened. What if there was a 2nd bomb?
those people running to that place are the potential almajeris. That's their character.
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by 3kay945(m): 6:13pm On Apr 26, 2012
wirinet:

Thank u.. Broda!
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by scopusng(m): 6:21pm On Apr 26, 2012
Boko Haram claims responsibility 4 Thisday bombing and killings of innocent lives.
Re: Bomb Blast At Thisday Office, Jabi, Abuja by wirinet(m): 6:24pm On Apr 26, 2012
Okija_juju:

The issue of invading ones own country does not arise here. But as president GEJ has enormous powers, he could declare a state of emergency in the whole nation or any part thereof. OBJ declared state of emergency in Ekiti and plateau for less serious reasons.

For your information, dept of homeland security was created as a response to 9/11 and not available at the time of the terrorist attacks. Why can't out security and Intelligence agencies monitor Boko Haram and trace the sources of their finance. Already the supreme leader of Boko Haram has been traced to Norther Cameroon, why can't they go after him? To disable a terrorist organization, you arrest or eliminate its leaders as is d
one by the US or Israel.

If the security agencies are weak, why can't he strengthen them? From available information on the media, the terrorists were trained abroad, Mauritania, Sudan, yemem (remember adbul mutallab said was trained with other Nigerians in yemen), they have funding from Iran and Al Quaida in the Magreb. So Boko haram has lots of international connections.

Okija_juju:
Who is the enemy?!

Is that not obvious, Boko Haram and politicians hiding under boko haram to further their political ambitions and international terrorist organizations that wants to use Nigeria as their new base after Pakistan and Yemen became too hot.

Okija_juju:

Are our security agencies as equipped as that of the Uk/U.S/Canada and most of europe?

No I do not know the face of Boko Haram members but that is why officers that work for SSS, DMI, Police, etc earn salaries. To gather intelligence.
The names of prominent Boko Haram members are public knowledge as captured members have divulged that information long ago.

So why do we not have CCTV all over Abuja? Se bi dem say dem Don award the contract? Besides these technologies are very cheap and easy to install nowadays, its no big deal as you people make it look.
Okija_juju:

Why don't you provide us with the breakdown if the N1 trillion security budget so we can see the amount allocated to pension, logistics, hardware, etc.
Okija_juju:

undecided

How much money would be required to bring our security forces to standard? I am talking about standard based on threat levels we face in relation to our GDP. How much does other countries with similar GDP and threat levels spend? How much does Brazil, south Africa, Israel spend?
Even though we might not require an F-13 or a MIG to fight terrorism, how much do they actually cost? After all we have up to 10 aircrafts in the presidential fleet, are you saying Nigeria cannot afford 1 or 2? What about the planes already in the airforce, are they not operational?
We are tired of plans that are inside GEJ's chest, we need to see action and results. We need to see a drastic reduction if not complete halt in terrorist attacks on Nigerian soil.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Bello Yabo Arrested For Calling El-Rufai A 'Small Bird' / Governor El-Rufai Weeps On Meeting Boy Whose Eyes Were Removed By Ritualists / Onyeama Knocks South African Minister Who Described Nigerians As Drug Dealers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.