Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,168 members, 7,953,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:06 PM

What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? (32034 Views)

Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? / What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? / What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 11:58am On Jun 26, 2012
yungboss:
ik i cant see the pic, i want to see ur ride

Pics are not uploading? How do i upload?

Ikenna.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 12:07pm On Jun 26, 2012
Ikenna351:

Pics are not uploading? How do i upload?

Ikenna.
maybe its too large, check the size. Its limited to 200kb. My bmw pic is on my profile, i resized/edited it to 172kb
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 12:14pm On Jun 26, 2012
yungboss:
maybe its too large, check the size. Its limited to 200kb. My bmw pic is on my profile, i resized/edited it to 172kb

They have attached.

Ikenna.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 12:33pm On Jun 26, 2012
still cant see it, is it appearing on the body of ur post?
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 12:37pm On Jun 26, 2012
yungboss: still cant see it, is it appearing on the body of ur post?

Yes. Two of them.

Ikenna.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 12:39pm On Jun 26, 2012
yungboss: still cant see it, is it appearing on the body of ur post?

Bo back to page 2 of this thread.

Ikenna.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 1:05pm On Jun 26, 2012
man, ur car looks sweet! But the view is far... Is it evolution 505 or gti...my family member had one in those days, it had 260km/h on the dash...
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 3:08pm On Jun 26, 2012
yungboss: man, ur car looks sweet! But the view is far... Is it evolution 505 or gti...my family member had one in those days, it had 260km/h on the dash...
Evolution or gti? You must be kidding me. It has V6 badge.

505 Evolution was only manufactured in Nigeria, for Nigerian markets and other African countries, hence, the 3rd world countries. It got only XN1A (Inline 4 cylinder fuel carbureted engine).

505 GTI was manufactured and sold in only Europe, Australia and some Asian countries. The GTI specs wasnt for Nigerian market, since we couldnt have afforded it then, i.e. it wouldnt have sold much in Nigeria because of the financial strength of Nigerians. Thats why Nigerians got the lower specs: SR, GL, GR and Evolution, in which all had the XN1 ( carburetor engine). GTI got only ZDJL (Inline 4 Electronic Fuel Injection engine). Some American Spec I-4 Natural Aspirated engine 505s got the ZDJL.

505 V6 was only manufactured and sold in Europe, North America and Japan. Never saw the shores of any African countries as new. It was way beyond our league in that era. Many countries that waited patiently to get the V6 couldnt because not much was produced. The production of the V6 started in 1986, at the time when the production of 505 was coming to an end. So few thousands of them were produced and sold. The lucky ones that got them wouldnt let them go. Those that couldnt get them had no option than to go for Volvo 760 GLE, since the car had the same engine in 505 V6, hence the PRV(Peugeot , Renault & Volvo). But then, Volvo is not 505. The PRV V6 engine, ZN3J, in 505 behaves differently from the Volvo 760 with the same engine. Even those that have driven or owned foreign assembled 4 cylinder 505s would attest that they behave & handle differently from the Nigerian assembled 505s, not to talk of the V6. The 3 car companies, Peugeot, Renault & Volvo came together in Douvrin France and jointly produced the V6 engine used by them and other car manufacturers in that era. The PRV V6 engines were sold from 1974 to 1998, when the 3 companies went their ways to produce their own V6 engines. The American 505 V6s got STX, GTX and STI badges. Then, 505 V6 was a rare car to find and very few now exist, that is, if you find one that is ready to give up his. The car is rare, but not the engine because Volvo, Renault, Citreon and some other European car companies used the engine in most of their products (cars) in that era. So parts availabilty has never been a problem to us, the few owners.

Ikenna.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by boyendowed(m): 3:55pm On Jun 26, 2012
The only thing I can say about a V6 engine is the fuel consumption rate.It drinks fuel the way fish drinks water.Apart from that,it's a good engine
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 4:38pm On Jun 26, 2012
Ikenna351:

505 Evolution was only manufactured in Nigeria, for Nigerian markets and other African countries, hence, the 3rd world countries. It got only XN1A (Inline 4 cylinder fuel carbureted engine).

505 GTI was manufactured and sold in only Europe, Australia and some Asian countries. The GTI specs wasnt for Nigerian market, since we couldnt have afforded it then, i.e. it wouldnt have sold much in Nigeria because of the financial strength of Nigerians. Thats why Nigerians got the lower specs: SR, GL, GR and Evolution, in which all had the XN1 ( carburetor engine). GTI got only ZDJL (Inline 4 Electronic Fuel Injection engine). Some American Spec I-4 Natural Aspirated engine 505s got the ZDJL.

505 V6 was only manufactured and sold in Europe, North America and Japan. Never saw the shores of any African countries as new. It was way beyond our league in that era. Many countries that waited patiently to get the V6 couldnt because not much was produced. The production of the V6 started in 1986, at the time when the production of 505 was coming to an end. So few thousands of them were produced and sold. The lucky ones that got them wouldnt let them go. Those that couldnt get them had no option than to go for Volvo 760 GLE, since the car had the same engine in 505 V6, hence the PRV(Peugeot , Renault & Volvo). But then, Volvo is not 505. The PRV V6 engine in 505 behaves differently from the Volvo 760 with the same engine. Even those that have driven or owned foreign assembled 4 cylinder 505s would attest that they behave & handle differently from the Nigerian assembled 505s, not to talk of the V6. The 3 car companies, Peugeot, Renault & Volvo came together in Douvrin France and jointly produced the V6 engine used by them and other car manufacturers in that era. The PRV V6 engines were sold from 1974 to 1998, when the 3 companies went their ways to produce their own V6 engines. The American 505 V6s got STX, GTX and STI badges. Then, 505 V6 was a rare car to find and very few now exist, that is, if you find one that is ready to give up his. The car is rare, but not the engine because Volvo, Renault, Citreon and some other European car companies used the engine in most of their products (cars) in that era. So parts availabilty has never been a problem to us, the few owners.

Ikenna.
yes thats true man, i could remember the 505 sti, with aa different body sort of, from the regular body. It had these big/emphatic bumpers, and a different looking headlamps, then i used to look at speedometers alot smiley
Ikenna351:

505 V6 was only manufactured and sold in Europe, North America and Japan. Never saw the shores of any African countries as new. It was way beyond our league in that era. Many countries that waited patiently to get the V6 couldnt because not much was produced. The production of the V6 started in 1986, at the time when the production of 505 was coming to an end. So few thousands of them were produced and sold. The lucky ones that got them wouldnt let them go. Those that couldnt get them had no option than to go for Volvo 760 GLE, since the car had the same engine in 505 V6, hence the PRV(Peugeot , Renault & Volvo). But then, Volvo is not 505. The PRV V6 engine in 505 behaves differently from the Volvo 760 with the same engine. Even those that have driven or owned foreign assembled 4 cylinder 505s would attest that they behave & handle differently from the Nigerian assembled 505s, not to talk of the V6. The 3 car companies, Peugeot, Renault & Volvo came together in Douvrin France and jointly produced the V6 engine used by them and other car manufacturers in that era. The PRV V6 engines were sold from 1974 to 1998, when the 3 companies went their ways to produce their own V6 engines. The American 505 V6s got STX, GTX and STI badges. Then, 505 V6 was a rare car to find and very few now exist, that is, if you find one that is ready to give up his. The car is rare, but not the engine because Volvo, Renault, Citreon and some other European car companies used the engine in most of their products (cars) in that era. So parts availabilty has never been a problem to us, the few owners.

Ikenna.
yes thats true man, i could remember the 505 sti, with a different body sort of, from the regular body. It had these big/emphatic bumpers, and a different looking headlamps, it had 250km/h on it. Those were really great cars...how did the 504 series 2 (this was a very different version of the regular 504. Differnt dash, 5gear manual) compare to the 505?
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 5:09pm On Jun 26, 2012
yungboss:
yes thats true man, i could remember the 505 sti, with aa different body sort of, from the regular body. It had these big/emphatic bumpers, and a different looking headlamps, then i used to look at speedometers alot smiley
yes thats true man, i could remember the 505 sti, with a different body sort of, from the regular body. It had these big/emphatic bumpers, and a different looking headlamps, it had 250km/h on it. Those were really great cars...how did the 504 series 2 (this was a very different version of the regular 504. Differnt dash, 5gear manual) compare to the 505?

The facelifted (2nd series) 504 was only produced and sold in Nigeria, Argentina and China. Europe and North America never got the 2nd series. 504 production and sale in Europe stopped in 1983. The production continued in Nigeria till 2005. Funny enough, the 504 production & sales continued in China till 2009. Strange, isnt it? That goes to tell you how damn good the car was, because if there were no demands for them, their wouldnt have been production of them till 2009. People had realised that those RWD Peugeots couldnt be replaced with their new products, in terms of the ruggedness, reliablity and durabilty. The only bullet-proofed cars Peugeot ever produced. I use both (RWD & FWD) and needed not to be told the difference.

Let me not derail this thread that much with Peugeot thing again. Am happy I have the KING of them all in my name.

Ikenna.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Trac: 12:05pm On Jun 29, 2012
Ikenna351: Trac, for the first time, I disagree with you on your theory on V6.

Am not here to talk about the I6 or dispute the fact that is good. Am not a theorist or an idealist, but a realist. I dont talk about what i dont know of or have not used. I havent driven or used an I6, So i cant comment on what i dont know. But i have heard how sweet an I6 could sound when on high rev. A school of thought argues that I6 performs better, while another school of thought will swear by V6 performance. Like I said, am not a theorist. But I have seen BMW I6 in action & could say they are damn machines!

Now to your theory on the V6. Its wrong for you to say all V6 are flawed engines. I dont know the V6s you have used that made you conclude so. I have two PRVs. Guess what? Each are 90 degrees V6s, not 60 degrees. I know where you are going with the 90 degrees: the imbalance. But guess what again? My two PRVs have Balance shaft on each of their right cylinder banks. The first generation PRV (90 degrees) suffered the mechanical imbalance because it was an odd-fire engine, hence the vibrations. But then the second generation PRV that the Renault 25 introduced, was an even-fire 90 degree V6. The balancer shaft in the even-fire PRV made it one of the smoothest & sweetest running V6 ever produced in that era, hence the elimination of engine vibration. The higher you rev the engine, the smoother & sweeter it sounds. Hence, the V6 songs!

I was driving to Enugu from my hometown, Awkuzu, on Onitsha-Enugu expressway with my brother last January, with my 605 V6 5sp manual. At a point, he asked me " how come the car is so soundless at the speed I was doing (which i dont want to mention here), as if there is no engine in the engine bay?" He was impressed. At that speed I was doing, he couldnt believe there was no vibration of any form, no engine sound heard (which we would have been hearing harsh engine sound with most I4) & the car was tearing the wind effortlessly. Yes, I could say effortlessly because I was the one driving. I knew how light i depressed the throttle pedal, which I was barely accelerating, yet the car was flying, you could say that. Since that day, he was converted, a V6 believer! The other day, he called me & was so excited that he saw a Peugeot 406 V6 for sale where he stays. But sadly, didnt have the financial strength to take the car home, make it his. A truely converted V6 fellow! I felt sad too.

Should we talk about my RWD Peugeot 505 V6 5 speed manual? Lets not even go there. Test-drive one & your theory will change, if you can still find one, anyway. I believe a lot of 60 degree V6 owners out there will have one or two things they will say too about theirs, how difficult it is for them to leave the V6 world because of the performances of the V6s they own or have owned. Like I said, am a realist, not an idealist.

Ikenna.

It's not a theory, it's tribology. I did not make it up and I could go deeper but this thread will head elsewhere from it's intended focus but I will keep it in layman's.

All v6's are flawed. It isn't an opinion but the nature of the configuration. The balance shaft is used to balance-out the rocking couples but this only cancels the first order vibrations. What is worse about the v6's is that the second-order vibrations are not eliminated because of the cost to research and engineer would out-cost the vehicle price limits, so the use of the engine mount is used. The second-order vibrations can be resolved but I am only aware of one approach and I can only explain it in details using equations derived from the forces of the crank assembly and make some amplifications and then, might have to dig up my notes to refresh myself.

To term a spade a spade and use black/white logic, the only v6's that are not flawed are the horizontally-opposed or boxer configurations. Those engines are perfectly smooth and need no balance-shaft. They are 180 degrees v6's. Some call them H's but they are v6's (if you want to be technical about it).

The 90 degrees is worst of all the configurations; the crank is thrown at [(30+90)+(30+90+...n], thus there are certain points in the cycle where you have dead spots (no power delivered). 720 by 120 is 6 and this is the v6 configuration at its optimum. When you have 720 by 90 (i.e. 720/90)and then, your expected conclusion is 6, you are certain some explanations should be ready to justify the expectation. So, this is simple arithmetic for the less-than-180-degrees v configuration. In layman's terms, to get this engine configuration to acceptable standards, certain measures are taken into effect that enables the inherent deficiencies to be masked. The inherent problem to this configuration is never eliminated. It's only patched. The results are clear in the long-run.

People that are certain that a v6 is better than a straight 6 know nothing about engine performances. Cruising from one end of Lagos is not a method to benchmark. You can only make judgements when you have aggressively driven it on a race track.

I am in no way stating that the 605 v6 is a bad vehicle but it offers no performance. The same with the Ford Mustang and some others in the same calibre. You have BMW's in your area. Drive a model that has a high-turbulent flow compression engine in it. That is a car with an acceptable level of performance (not the best); not the best example for sure but a taste of what performance is. If you can get hold of a Subaru, the 2.5L 4 Cyl or the 6 cylinder, the imprints it will leave on you will be remarkable. -- and I'm referring to the Impreza. The 2.5L will outperform all the vehicles you have mentioned and would out-smooth it as well.

The realistic measure would be to look at graphs that plots the performance curves and that would resolve any disputes.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Trac: 12:45pm On Jun 29, 2012
yungboss:

Trac you facts have alot of rough edges to them...i travelled last year in an 8-yr old merc c320 v6 and there was nothing like vibration you mentioned, like ik said what's the function of the balance shafts? So you mean to say all v6 engines are a flaw? Interesting.
At high speed, aerodynamics come into play i agree. But power matters to a great extent
Lets look at a hypothetical case, a toyota celica rated at say, 170hp and a 5.7l toyota tundra rated at 450hp (hypo numbers), at 160km/h which do you think will have more comfort going down, based on your statement that hp doesn't really matter at top speed...which is more aerodynamic? Idk...

All v6's are flawed designs.

I am quite acquainted with the v6 you are talking about. Actually, it's a v8 that has been sectioned. What MB did was to use special engine mounts to suppress the secondary order vibrations and the balance-shaft barely cancel out the vibrations. The fact you cannot feel anything doesn't mean it was flawlessly designed. The engine you are referring to is the 112 motor. It wouldn't be a sale-potential if you could feel the flaws at the point of sale. This engine is louder than its predecessor and unrefined as well (bad harmonics within certain rpm bands).

Here comes the interesting part. I never said horsepower doesn't matter at top speed. You are referring to approximately 100-110mph, right?! Aerodynamics isn't noticeably coming into play that you will need your reserved power to the overwhelming drag. This is still nothing to the chassis and people drive at those speeds everyday. At 160mph+/260kph+, you'll begin to feel the air push down your vehicle as you press-on. This you'd notice as your vehicle is pressed downwards on its suspension. You also might not be able to see clearly through your windshield. Stopping the car is another matter and the headache you might have later (depending on how long you drove at those speeds). The higher you go, you'll need power. I am not referring to the Tundra or anything with that magnificent surface area. To be quite frank with you, the Tundra can't reach those speeds because it isn't aerodynamically designed for such feats. The idea of sport cars being streamlined to reduce surface area is to be able to cut through the air with little resistance and to also have the tyres planted. It is recently the Lotus crossed over to the 200+hp territory. They are quick, can dial into corners tighter, brake later and take-off earlier, 4 cylinders so less reciprocation masses and they stumped with the big dogs and you can guess the rest. The same goes for the Porsches; aerodynamics and acceleration were the key principles. The example of the Porsche 356 is a perfect example. Power isn't everything.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 5:28pm On Jun 29, 2012
Nice one trac, nice one. Just seeing ur post. But from my little knowlege i though that the I-6 engines have no 'net' shaking force when they are rotating but not FIRING. Once firing i.e.running, all internal combustion engines have some shaking force and harmonics acting to some degree, for instance, torsional motion.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Trac: 10:19pm On Jun 29, 2012
yungboss: Nice one trac, nice one. Just seeing ur post. But from my little knowlege i though that the I-6 engines have no 'net' shaking force when they are rotating but not FIRING. Once firing i.e.running, all internal combustion engines have some shaking force and harmonics acting to some degree, for instance, torsional motion.

You are right on it but it goes way more than that.

Let's talk about how you feel behind the wheel of these engines. The v6 cannot be torquey or deliver torque as an inline of the same numbers. The main culprit is balance-shaft and the second-order vibration left to be suppressed by the engine mounts, so you have parasitic losses and it is greater the higher the rev/min, thus defeating purpose of available power to the driver. This is not to say power would is not produced but the gains would be a whole case different if it weren't for the nature of configuration. So, what is done is to have the power rearranged (it's an engineering term) to the lower end of the tach and this is where people are impressed. So, it isn't a high-revving-high-output engine. So, off the line, it'll take off but it won't maintain it.

The inline is another matter. This is from personal experience, the power is progressive and exponential. Once you get into the power band, there is a surge and it keeps going. The sound feedback you get from the engine is enthusiastically rewarding. There isn't much torque at the lower band of the tach because that is just the very nature of the engine. You will have to rev it to conjure the power and torque and using all the tach is pleasure. Power is designed for top-end performance, so off the line may not be that impressive but there are serious gains for the rest of the mile in a race.

I am not a fan of BMW's and I don't like them because I can read through one and explain in design what they are. But the very core of BMW's is what I give great honour to: the inline sixes. BMW is a company that only makes engines - the other aspects aren't truly their core. The inline 6 designation that was in the M3's (especially the CSL) was one of a particular kind. Great performance at high rpm but that detail to optimisation got to its final limit. BMW stated gains couldn't be gotten of the 3L displacement within the inline and still maintain the high revving potentials, hence the switch to the v8. This configuration does not suffer from the secondary-order vibrations the v6's have and it is also an acceptable compromise to the straight 8s. It doesn't perform like a straight 8 or identical numbers but the variations can be overlooked. You will never find a military tank with a v6. They are all inline six' with power in excess of 1000 and higher.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 11:07am On Jun 30, 2012
Trac:

Let's talk about how you feel behind the wheel of these engines. The v6 cannot be torquey or deliver torque as an inline of the same numbers. The main culprit is balance-shaft and the second-order vibration left to be suppressed by the engine mounts, so you have parasitic losses and it is greater the higher the rev/min, thus defeating purpose of available power to the driver. This is not to say power would is not produced but the gains would be a whole case different if it weren't for the nature of configuration. So, what is done is to have the power rearranged (it's an engineering term) to the lower end of the tach and this is where people are impressed. So, it isn't a high-revving-high-output engine. So, off the line, it'll take off but it won't maintain it.

The inline is another matter. This is from personal experience, the power is progressive and exponential. Once you get into the power band, there is a surge and it keeps going. The sound feedback you get from the engine is enthusiastically rewarding. There isn't much torque at the lower band of the tach because that is just the very nature of the engine. You will have to rev it to conjure the power and torque and using all the tach is pleasure. Power is designed for top-end performance, so off the line may not be that impressive but there are serious gains for the rest of the mile in a race.

I am not a fan of BMW's and I don't like them because I can read through one and explain in design what they are. But the very core of BMW's is what I give great honour to: the inline sixes. BMW is a company that only makes engines - the other aspects aren't truly their core. The inline 6 designation that was in the M3's (especially the CSL) was one of a particular kind. Great performance at high rpm but that detail to optimisation got to its final limit. BMW stated gains couldn't be gotten of the 3L displacement within the inline and still maintain the high revving potentials, hence the switch to the v8. This configuration does not suffer from the secondary-order vibrations the v6's have and it is also an acceptable compromise to the straight 8s. It doesn't perform like a straight 8 or identical numbers but the variations can be overlooked. You will never find a military tank with a v6. They are all inline six' with power in excess of 1000 and higher.
okay, thats highlights a few questions about these engines...tho my line of engineering deals with electricals i'm sure i'm not out of place here.
Talking about I-6, i have observed that most bmws especially the 3series, perform better than most cars of the same power/torque number. Sometimes i think bmw scaled down its numbers for performance against what they actually are. From experience, i ran against a 3.0 avalon and i caught up comfortably at 118mph. My car's got 148hp against the avalon's 220hp...
The power surge from 140 to 180km/h was unbelievable, for a 2.0l I-6 engine...is there anywhere in Nigeria to dyno (observe the torque curve) cars to measure actual power/torque of a vehicle?
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 11:07am On Jun 30, 2012
Trac:

okay, thats highlights a few questions about these engines...tho my line of engineering deals with electricals i'm sure i'm not out of place here.
Talking about I-6, i have observed that most bmws especially the 3series, perform better than most cars of the same power/torque number. Sometimes i think bmw scaled down its numbers for performance against what they actually are. From experience, i ran against a 3.0 avalon and i caught up comfortably at 118mph. My car's got 148hp against the avalon's 220hp...
The power surge from 140 to 180km/h was unbelievable, for a 2.0l I-6 engine...is there anywhere in Nigeria to dyno (observe the torque curve) cars to measure actual power/torque of a vehicle?
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by keth: 7:20pm On Jun 30, 2012
hi.....
its very easy to Automotive Wolf was designed with all car owners in mind. Whether you are the average family car owner, backyard mechanic or car enthusiast you will now be able to keep track of your vehicle maintenance with ease. It reminds you when your car is due for maintenance, tracks all your operating costs and helps you save money by avoiding costly repairs. Good car maintenance is essential to keeping your car running well, extending its operating life, minimizing repair costs and maximizing its resale value. Our Car Care software was designed to enable you to reach these goals and help you with your preventive car maintenance schedule.
Top Car Reviews
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 11:00pm On Jun 30, 2012
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 9:15am On Jul 01, 2012
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by daomi(m): 11:02am On Jul 01, 2012
@ all,pls i'm abt buying my first car but stuckd btw honda babx boy v6 & bulldog 4 plug.pls i need ur advice as regard both cars.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Trac: 6:27am On Jul 04, 2012
yungboss:

You were at an advantage on certain aspects; lightness and better aerodynamics. BMW's philosophy is also efficient dynamics. If I am not mistaken, BMW has the world's most advanced variable timing and coupling it with top-end performance, the Avalon would have been quick of the line but would not maintain the lead as it continued (due to its lack of top-end performance). The Avalon also is not tuned for performance - in other words, it isn't properly quick. It might also weigh in excess of 3800 pounds or more.

1 Like

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 5:49am On Sep 29, 2012
Trac:

You were at an advantage on certain aspects; lightness and better aerodynamics. BMW's philosophy is also efficient dynamics. If I am not mistaken, BMW has the world's most advanced variable timing and coupling it with top-end performance, the Avalon would have been quick of the line but would not maintain the lead as it continued (due to its lack of top-end performance). The Avalon also is not tuned for performance - in other words, it isn't properly quick. It might also weigh in excess of 3800 pounds or more.
thanks for sharing this...
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by KA24DETT(m): 3:44am On Sep 30, 2012
Got to give it to Honda,, u know they were the first with variable valve timing.. Everybody is just modifying it to suit their needs. I wouldnt say BMW has the best, it just suits their need. Infiniti calls it VVE-L ( variable valve event and lift) and BMW calls it VANOS.
All in all, Honda got the most advanced. BMW introduced theirs in 1992 while Honda introduced theirs in 1983
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 5:10am On Oct 01, 2012
KA24DETT: Got to give it to Honda,, u know they were the first with variable valve timing.. Everybody is just modifying it to suit their needs. I wouldnt say BMW has the best, it just suits their need. Infiniti calls it VVE-L ( variable valve event and lift) and BMW calls it VANOS.
All in all, Honda got the most advanced. BMW introduced theirs in 1992 while Honda introduced theirs in 1983
really, thought they introduced theirs in 1989...on the integra, 1.6l engine, 160bhp (...impressive bhp/L), but BMWs got double vanos and valvetronic too. they are two different valve timing/positioning mechanism, vtec kicks in at higher rev, vanos/valvetronic occupies a wider range (pls correct me where i may be wrong)
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by gulfer: 9:05am On Oct 01, 2012
Trac, Yungboss, Ikenna etc, you guys are the masters/teachers and I am happy to be in your school. All these learning will surely influence my next car; certainly a BMW I6 preferably a 3series coja.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The 2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross CUV Is A Beauty For Nigerian Roads(Photos) / Nissan Xterra Owners Forum / How To Drive The 2019 G-wagon SUV Through The Mud Explained By Mercedes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.