Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,515 members, 7,812,600 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:59 PM

Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees (14937 Views)

Jigawa Donates Goats To 8,000 Widows / Aregbesola To Empower 5,000 Widows In Osun / Zamfara Arranges Husbands For 2000 Widows (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Boyoorisha: 8:59am On May 04, 2012
Kano State, where the number of divorcees is cause for concern, the government is acting as matchmaker to help ex-wives and widows find Mr. Right.
He should be tall. Kind, of course. And generous, especially when it comes to buying all those little trinkets that a woman desires.
“A little handsome,” but not too much, says Altine Abdullahi. “It’s a danger.”
In northern Nigeria, it is a truth almost universally acknowledged that a woman of a certain age, and in a certain situation in life, must be in want of a husband.
But if the woman in that certain situation is a divorcee or a widow, finding a husband isn’t easy, even without the shopping list of desirable qualities ticked off by Abdullahi (a divorcee).
That’s why 1,000 women have thrown their fates into the hands of the Kano state government, which will act as their matchmaker. The religious authority in the Muslim-dominated state, the Hisbah Board, has embarked on a massive husband hunt for divorcees and widows. The first 100 women, including Abdullahi, are to be wed in coming weeks.
“I’m getting married,” she says. “God willing!”
She has no idea who her husband will be. But, like the practical character in a Jane Austen novel, she’s no romantic.
“I know love is something, but ...” she pauses wistfully. “Love doesn’t really last.”
Abdullahi, 44, preens like a fine, glossy bird, creaming her plump lips, powdering her face, fluttering her eyelashes girlishly. Her smiling face, with perfect white teeth, peers out from dozens of photographs stacked on her desk and decking the wall of her office, where she heads the organization Voice of Widows, Divorcees and Orphans Assn. of Nigeria. Her skin is clear, her eyes bright, her silver bangles jangle happily, yet she complains that she looks “tired.”
“Beautiful? You should have seen me when I was young. Then I was beautiful.”
The state-as-matchmaker plan came after Abdullahi made an emotional plea on Kano radio for husbands for desperate widows and divorcees.
In Nigeria, women of marriageable age who remain single are seen as suspect, their respectability questioned. Throughout many parts of the Muslim world, divorced and widowed women are forced to go home to their fathers or brothers and are viewed as a burden and failure. Or they live on the edges of society, shunned and forced into begging or prostitution to support their children.
Sometimes the brother of a dead man will marry the widow and support her and her children. But many divorced women find it difficult to remarry.
In Kano, the state capital, there’s a sense of crisis about the number of divorcees, although statistics aren’t available to back up widespread perceptions of an increase in failed marriages. The problem sharpened here after Kano state and 11 other predominantly Muslim states adopted sharia, or Islamic law, between 1999 and 2001, allowing men to divorce unilaterally simply by thrice stating “I divorce you,” an act that cannot be undone with a simple change of mind.
“With growing cases of divorce among couples, the state has reached an unenviable record in the country. In any social gathering and various fora, the most common discussion in the metropolis is the growing rate at which divorce is taking place,” said a February article in the Nigerian newspaper Leadership.
An everyday quarrel can easily escalate into divorce, says Abdullahi, whose divorce happened as quickly as a car crash, in a moment of heat, instantly regretted by both sides.
The row came after her husband took a third wife who was demanding more nights with him. When he conveyed the demand to Abdullahi (as second wife), she told him it was women’s business. He should send the third wife to her.
He refused. She insisted. He said, “Be careful.”
She insisted. He told her to leave. A few more sharp words and before anyone could stop it, the couple were divorced.
“I started crying. Even he started crying too. We cried together. He said, ‘Just go back to your room and forget about the divorce.’” But she couldn’t. Under sharia law, she says, she cannot go back to him unless she remarries and her husband either dies or her new marriage ends in divorce.
She left their four children with him, as is often the case. (“He treats them very well. So why should I worry myself about them?”) She has seen them once since, in 2005. She left, certain he’d miss her and her cooking, especially his favorite dish, spaghetti bolognese, made from a recipe she’d found in a magazine.
That was 12 years ago.
“I know he misses me.” Still, she says, 40 days can now pass without him entering her mind.
After the divorce, Abdullahi decided to put herself through law school, but being smart didn’t compensate for her lack of a secular education.
“I didn’t understand a word the lecturer said.”
In 2008, the state government’s religious Social Reorientation Program, A Daidaita Sahu, meaning “straighten your lines” in the local Hausa language, urged men to be tolerant of trivial marital problems. One reason for the state’s high divorce rate, the government found, was “the misapplication of power by men to divorce women.”
Many Kano men, who see obedience as an important wifely trait, don’t want to marry divorcees, Abdullahi contends.
“Nobody comes to us. They say we are not disciplined,” Abdullahi says. “We challenge that. They’re our men and if they don’t marry us, who will?”
The Hisbah Board is subjecting all marriage applicants, male and female, to medical and HIV tests, and requires each to fill out a form, providing details of their social “status,” education, likes and dislikes and an outline of what he or she expects in a spouse.
Husbands will pay a modest bride price, but no less than one gram of gold (which Abdullahi wants to go to the bride but usually goes to her family). The state will also pay all wedding expenses.
About 2,000 men have applied to be screened as potential husbands. For men, it looks like an affordable way to get hitched, with the bride price low, the trouble of haggling with the bride’s parents averted and the wedding paid for.
Even members of the Hisbah Board have recently taken extra wives “to set a good example,” board official Nabahani Usman said. (The board sees it as an act of charity and kindness to take in an extra wife.)
For many of the divorcees and widows, the attraction is the protection offered by the board, which will make sure any future divorce isn’t trivial.
Some critics of the marriage plan, such as writer Ayisha Osori, argue that its great flaw is in giving false hope of success in marriage to women when society’s views of wives remain problematic.
“Absolutely nothing has changed. The men have not changed, the state has not changed, and the realities of the women — right where society wants them to be — have also not changed,” Osori wrote in Leadership. “And so the cycle continues, with women in and out of the homes and beds of men who can discard them as quickly as it takes to say talaq,” she added, referring to the Islamic term for divorce.
Abdullahi met recently with Aminu Daurawa, head of the Hisbah Board, who promised to personally select the best available man for her.
He’d better find someone who appreciates a bold, charismatic woman.
Abdullahi’s outspoken ways have been controversial. In 2009 she planned a “million divorcee march” in the streets of Kano to protest the dire situation of many divorcees and widows. Tongues wagged over such a scandalous idea. Men — and women — condemned it.
She was summoned by the Hisbah Board, forced to cancel the protest and had to promise never to talk about it again. She was chastened but didn’t give up fighting.
“I’m a strong woman. I got my strength from my father.”
These days, Abdullahi looks anything but downtrodden. She adores fashion (which can be quite an expensive habit, even in Kano) and goes a little starry-eyed when listing the hoped-for qualities of her soon-to-be-found husband. She may not be romantic but can’t help dreaming big.
“I want a husband who will get me anything I want in my life. It’s not important to be rich. But I don’t want poor.”
And if he’s cruel, miserly, bad-tempered, violent or simply doesn’t suit, she will reject him.
“If he can take good care of me, fine, I’ll stick with him. But if not, I’ll find my own way.”
But can she? The Hisbah Board’s determination to save all but the most dire marriages may cut both ways. If she (or any of the women) doesn’t like the board’s version of Mr. Right, she may be stuck.
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/45416-kano-seeks-husbands-for-1-000-widows-divorcees.html

2 Likes

Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Basic(m): 9:50am On May 04, 2012
Why is this on the front page? So that we'll send applications? Next post please!
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by greall1: 9:51am On May 04, 2012
Its gr8 achievement for BH lolz
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Nobody: 9:52am On May 04, 2012
LOL @ SUBJECT grin grin
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by xanadu333: 9:53am On May 04, 2012
hahahahah huhuhuhuh kekekeke wowowowowow this pple go kill me with laugh. so BH don bomb all their hubby. if they want men let them come to lagos for sample and testing. cos men must test b4 marriage.

2 Likes

Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by lbotus(f): 9:54am On May 04, 2012
Idle government.smh
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Nobody: 10:00am On May 04, 2012
Stupidity! There are more pressing issues like their cities and villages being bombed daily.
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by betrani(m): 10:03am On May 04, 2012
these nyanrinyas are not fit to get married again o! Aboki nor fit use wife finish take give me make I marry! tufiakwa enor go work! Na so so quanagida b dat nor be sexy!!! that hole don sawa! Make D government Find something better to do like; poverty alleviation and development of the rural areas abi nyanrinyan join too?

2 Likes

Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by greall1: 10:03am On May 04, 2012
Come who go marry them for lagos. Abeg if na play stop am lolz. quote author=xanadu333]hahahahah huhuhuhuh kekekeke wowowowowow this pple go kill me with laugh. so BH don bomb all their hubby. if they want men let them come to lagos for sample and testing. cos men must test b4 marriage.[/quote]
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by kemiola89(f): 10:05am On May 04, 2012
LMAO@ topic
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by ektbear: 10:06am On May 04, 2012
She has no idea who her husband will be. But, like the practical character in a Jane Austen novel, she’s no romantic.
“I know love is something, but ...” she pauses wistfully. “Love doesn’t really last.”

Heh. This is heartwarming smiley
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Nobody: 10:07am On May 04, 2012
Some Northen Governors are not fit to rule at all, what is the business with Goverment and finding husbands for widows? Just imagine if such Governor becomes President = Disaster
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by AlusiOkija: 10:07am On May 04, 2012
EVen Hausa people now are a target for the Yoruba mods on Nairaland. . .

WHY IS THIS ON THE FRONT PAGE?!

Is it because it is Hausa people under attack?!

If the post read "EKITI STATE SEND YOUTH CORPERS TO SERVE AS NURTW AGEBROS" would it make the front page?!! angry

One Nigeria!!

Stop the marginalization. . .

Free Okija Juju
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by calibet(m): 10:09am On May 04, 2012
who send them,thats one thing i hate about the northerner, there is no consideration,any ofence their wife commit the will warn her three time after wich they divorce,now what do dey expect since thier is no total forgiveness,even if its a minor quarrel.in fact i predict that in few more yrs to come the rate of divorces in the north would attract international responce
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by ektbear: 10:09am On May 04, 2012

The problem sharpened here after Kano state and 11 other predominantly Muslim states adopted sharia, or Islamic law, between 1999 and 2001, allowing men to divorce unilaterally simply by thrice stating “I divorce you,” an act that cannot be undone with a simple change of mind.

Lmao. Islam is a very man-friendly religion. Divorce this easy? The man doesn't lose half of his wealth in the divorce either, I take it? grin
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Nobody: 10:09am On May 04, 2012
Alusi Okija: EVen Hausa people now are a target for the Yoruba mods on Nairaland. . .

WHY IS THIS ON THE FRONT PAGE?!

Is it because it is Hausa people under attack?!

If the post read "EKITI STATE SEND YOUTH CORPERS TO SERVE AS NURTW AGEBROS" would it make the front page?!! angry

One Nigeria!!

Stop the marginalization. . .

Free Okija Juju

Not only One Nigeria, what about One Naira?
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Sagamite(m): 10:10am On May 04, 2012
The North just seems to want to accelerate to backwardness.
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by ektbear: 10:11am On May 04, 2012

She left their four children with him, as is often the case. (“He treats them very well. So why should I worry myself about them?”) She has seen them once since, in 2005. She left, certain he’d miss her and her cooking, especially his favorite dish, spaghetti bolognese, made from a recipe she’d found in a magazine.

The author of this article has a flair for writing. I'm impressed.
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by annajess: 10:11am On May 04, 2012
i dont understand these northerners
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by calibet(m): 10:11am On May 04, 2012
nah me good to marry used product.them they craze
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Nobody: 10:12am On May 04, 2012
Sometimes I have a bad day or I feel like my parents are too over-controlling or that my life is the worst deal anyone can get. But then I see stories like these, and I laugh out loud, buy myself a bottle of juice and 6 hotdogs and celebrate a wonderful life!
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by ektbear: 10:13am On May 04, 2012

Even members of the Hisbah Board have recently taken extra wives “to set a good example,” board official Nabahani Usman said. (The board sees it as an act of charity and kindness to take in an extra wife.)

lmfao cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by ektbear: 10:16am On May 04, 2012
Hmm. So The Nation stole this article from the LA Times, it appears...the author is a LA Times writer.

Lame..
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Nobody: 10:21am On May 04, 2012
Are u kiddin me....Wonders shall never cease sha.....Lwkmd...A match maker state govt....Funny enuff the government made the law that caused the problem in the first place...A state cannot be ruled by twoo different constitutions.
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Arosa(m): 10:23am On May 04, 2012
Are southerners or Christians allowed to marry these women?
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Welder(m): 10:29am On May 04, 2012
[b]Even members of the Hisbah Board have recently taken extra wives “to set a good example,” board official Nabahani Usman said. (The board sees it as an act of charity and kindness to take in an extra wife.)

[/b]This is so disgusting
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by MyJoe: 10:30am On May 04, 2012
Sagamite: The North just seems to want to accelerate to backwardness.

I think the Hisbah Board is trying to solve a social problem. What is vexing here is the Shariah prescriptions on divorce which is at the root of this problem. Unfortunately, nothing, it appears, is being done about this by the thoughtful Kano government.
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Sagamite(m): 10:30am On May 04, 2012
Arosa: Are southerners or Christians allowed to marry these women?

You want to marry from a bunch of women of which majority have fistula?
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Nobody: 10:31am On May 04, 2012
Basic: Why is this on the front page? So that we'll send applications? Next post please!
why not if u r interested
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by purplekayc(m): 10:35am On May 04, 2012
Husband or concubines?? undecided

undecided
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by mygsmnairacom(m): 10:38am On May 04, 2012
The rate of divorce is becoming so worrisome. Can this programme be truly regarded as a type of social welfare scheme to protect women? Hard to answer.

In the next three months, I'll no longer be giving you cash; instead, I'll teach you how to be self-reliant https://www.nairaland.com/923056/smart-ways-reduce-extended-family

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BOTCHED DIPLOMACY AS Saudi-Arabia Deports 510 More Nigerian Women Pilgrims!! / Fayose Is Qualified To Contest 2019 Election, No One Should Stop Him - Ladoja / Christian Votes Will Make Atiku President~Governor Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.