Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,281 members, 7,829,633 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees (14950 Views)

Jigawa Donates Goats To 8,000 Widows / Aregbesola To Empower 5,000 Widows In Osun / Zamfara Arranges Husbands For 2000 Widows (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Sagamite(m): 3:02pm On May 04, 2012
Zhul-fiqar:
i think i will also follow the same path of LagosShia and say:

[size=14pt]PEACE![/size]

So I take it you are not capabale of making sense of it too but yet you are dogmatic in following it? undecided
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Zhulfiqar1: 3:21pm On May 04, 2012
^^^^

it means i am not ready to repeat myself because someone refuses to see the answer or behave in a way that portrays him as someone beyond reasoning ability by asking the same question twice after that question was given an answer.

PEACE!
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Sagamite(m): 3:28pm On May 04, 2012
Zhul-fiqar:
^^^^

it means i am not ready to repeat myself because someone refuses to see the answer or behave in a way that portrays him as someone beyond reasoning ability by asking the same question twice after that question was given an answer.

PEACE!

You don't seem capable of giving an answer or comprehending the requirements of the debate.

I am asking questions based on relativity/comparisons, you are answering by giving rules of a process instead of answering the questions.

It is either you lack comprehension or you plainly cannot rationalise the religion you follow but yet follow it devoutly.
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Novice1(m): 3:36pm On May 04, 2012
Sagamite:

You don't seem capable of giving an answer or comprehending the requirements of the debate.

I am asking questions based on relativity/comparisons, you are not answering by giving rules of a process instead of answering the questions.

It is either you lack comprehension or you plainly cannot rationalise the religion you follow but yet follow it devoutly.

?
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by begwong: 4:02pm On May 04, 2012
BlackBaron: Why not worry about building schools instead of pairing up humans whose ultimate goals would be breeding an army of potential almajiris

and suicide bombers grin
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Chanchit: 4:09pm On May 04, 2012
TALAQ! TALAQ!! TALAK!!!
Everybody TALAQ!.... Funny people, no be sharia say make them dey talk am? If to say the wife go talaq with half of their property, the men no go dey remember the word.....

2 Likes

Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Chanchit: 4:12pm On May 04, 2012
begwong: [/b]
and suicide bombers grin
And boko bafana bafana
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Tyche(m): 4:41pm On May 04, 2012
The people that brought religion to Africa did a wonderful job of caging Our mind and reasoning ability. The illogical defences on this thread is a clear testimony.
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by begwong: 4:41pm On May 04, 2012
15 million naira already budgeted for these mass weddings! lipsrsealed
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by nagoma(m): 5:18pm On May 04, 2012
Why can't they treck to italy and sell punny just like the southern unmarried and married women do?
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Sagamite(m): 5:23pm On May 04, 2012
nagoma: Why can't they treck to italy and sell punny just like the southern unmarried women do?

Because they are too dearth poor and might also have their throat slit as religious punishment.
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by nagoma(m): 5:33pm On May 04, 2012
[Zhul-fiqar:
^^^^

PEACE!

My Dear Zhul-fiqar. you must be new to NL. Sagamite and others are not looking for answers or education, just out to insult with the hope of causing injury and anguish. But you may repeat what you said, it may help him. After all " at -taqra ta allimul khimar" isnt it? (Repetition teaches the donkey.)
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Sagamite(m): 5:39pm On May 04, 2012
nagoma: [Zhul-fiqar:
^^^^

PEACE!

My Dear Zhul-fiqar. you must be new to NL. Sagamite and others are not looking for answers or education, just out to insult with the hope of causing injury. But you may repeat what you said, it may help him. After all " at -taqra ta allimul khimar" isnt it? (Repetition teaches the donkey.)

You are a cretin!

Be taking free education aimed at helping you to mentally develop as an insult.

Foool!
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by nagoma(m): 5:53pm On May 04, 2012
The proportion of unattached women in the north is the same as it is in the south. the difference is that pros-titution is accepted as a noble profession in the south and southern nigerian women are selling punny all over west africa and western europe and beyond. the southerners don't see anything immoral about it, as many of those contributing here were actually born and raised in brothels.
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by ceejayluv(m): 6:03pm On May 04, 2012
I see nothing wrong with the arrangement. More like a state-approved match-making and wedding planning service. Kini big deal?
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Sagamite(m): 6:06pm On May 04, 2012
nagoma: The proportion of unattached women in the north is the same as it is in the south. the difference is that pros-titution is accepted as a noble profession in the south and southern nigerian women are selling punny all over west africa and western europe and beyond. the southerners don't see anything immoral about it, as many of those contributing here were actually born and raised in brothels.

But the South is more developed and have more progressive and sane people than the North?

And does not have the amount of child brides ending up with miserable lives because of moronic adherence to a theo-cultural idiocy?

Their women are educated, progressing and competing in the economy?

Their men don't go about giving arse to Alhajis?

Mooron, shut up and never compare the North to the South. The gap is huge!
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Sagamite(m): 6:09pm On May 04, 2012
ceejayluv: I see nothing wrong with the arrangement. More like a state-approved match-making and wedding planning service. Kini big deal?

The big deal is that the state leadership is too dumb to have more visionary initiatives to pre-ocuupy its limited time with, and deal with root causes.
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by nagoma(m): 8:04pm On May 04, 2012
@Sagamite

You will never understand What morality is for the reasons I gave above. Development is different from values. The south may very well be more developed by the current definition of material development. We are talking about moral values and you will agree with me that they differ. Never tell me to shut up because ( a) I will not (b) it is rude and constitute one aspect of the lack of morals with you guys. It is a shame. Some cultures can only support bacteria!!
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Ngodigha1(m): 9:35pm On May 04, 2012
nagoma: @Sagamite

You will never understand What morality is for the reasons I gave above. Development is different from values. The south may very well be more developed by the current definition of material development. We are talking about moral values and you will agree with me that they differ. Never tell me to shut up because ( a) I will not (b) it is rude and constitute one aspect of the lack of morals with you guys. It is a shame. Some cultures can only support bacteria!!
Poor boy, why not shut up as Sagamite has commanded you. He is your master, so respect your self and obey him.
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by IYANGBALI: 9:50pm On May 04, 2012
what happened to their cows?they should get married to them afterall they are all cows
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Crayola1: 10:23pm On May 04, 2012
nagoma: The proportion of unattached women in the north is the same as it is in the south. the difference is that pros-titution is accepted as a noble profession in the south and southern nigerian women are selling punny all over west africa and western europe and beyond. the southerners don't see anything immoral about it, as many of those contributing here were actually born and raised in brothels.

The problem with that line of thinking is that the people who need attention and help the most are ignored and left to the wayside. If you honestly believe that prostitution is a Southern phenomenon, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you grin

Here from the UN:

The Northern part of Nigeria has not attracted enough attention as Edo, Cross Rivers, Delta, Ebonyi and other states from the South leading to the erroneous assumption that human trafficking is more prevalent in the south of Nigeria. However from March 2002 to April 2004 alone, the Saudi Arabia authorities deported nine thousand, nine hundred and fifty women and one thousand, two hundred and thirty one underage and unaccompanied children. (www.unesdoc.unesco.org)
Investigations revealed that the majority of the women deported from Saudi Arabia are from Kano, Borno, Adamawa, Yobe, Nassarawa, Plateau, Niger, Kebbi, Kwara, Sokoto, Zamfara, Jigawa, Gombe, Bauchi and Taraba states. These records debunk the erroneous impression that human trafficking for prostitution does not occur in the Northern part of Nigeria. (www.unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0014)
http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0014/001478/147844e.pdf

Despite the widespread nature of the phenomenon, research on human
trafficking is concentrated on southern Nigeria with Delta, Edo
and Cross Rivers States being the main focal points. Consequently,
the northern sector of the country has received relatively little attention.
This incorrectly suggests that human trafficking is not a problem
in northern Nigeria. The trade in human beings is as prevalent
in northern Nigeria as in other parts of the country.

A form of trafficking currently under investigation takes place in the
northern part of Nigeria and involves the luring of young children to
Saudi Arabia to be killed for blood money known as “diya”.
The method is
quite simple: the trafficker, often female, takes a child trafficked to Saudi
Arabia to go shopping; when she spots an affluent Arab’s car, she pushes
the child in the path of the car to get run over and possibly killed. There
are two types of penalties for anyone who kills another human being in
Saudi Arabia. The first is the death penalty; the second is the offering
compensation to the relatives of the dead victim, if the relatives accept
(“diya”). The trafficker opts for the second option and obtains an equivalent
of about Naira 3,500,000 (local currency, equivalent to some US $27,000).
The trafficker returns to Nigeria and informs the parents of the trafficked
child that the child died of natural causes. The trafficker pays the parents
about Naira 100,000 an equivalent (about US $775) as the wages of the
child while in Saudi Arabia. Parents do not typically probe the trafficker’s
story, often accepting the death of the child as the will of Allah. Many
simply accept the supposed wages
. There is little research on this form of
trafficking, but our interviews suggest that those recruited are women and
children from poor family backgrounds and rural communities.40

Children and young women are also lured into exploitative migration
and sex work via their desire to go to Saudi Arabia for pilgrimage.
This is another example of Islam being manipulated for the purpose of
trafficking. Young girls from nearly all the northern states are potentially
vulnerable, contrary to the common belief that trafficking for commercial
sexual exploitation is limited to the southern part of Nigeria. In the North,
religion is used as a means to lure the innocent just as it is in the South,
where the majority of trafficked persons are Christians.

Trafficked women and girls are mostly sent to countries in the region, such as Benin, Côte d'Ivoire, Gabon, and Cameroon. The most common Middle East destination is Saudi Arabia, where, during the hajj religious pilgrimage, Nigerian children and older women are forced into street begging, domestic service, and prostitution.
http://www.migrationinformation.org/Profiles/display.cfm?ID=788

Do you honestly believe its Southern Women they are talking about Hajj to? Maybe that might plausable in the South West where there is a significant Muslim population, but the rest of the South...rare, Europe is the usual destination

Hadja Hadiza's open-legged posture speaks volumes about her view of Islamic law. "It is great for business," she says, seated on a lump of concrete, as yet another Nigerian man followed one of her girls into a hut on the brothel compound. If you took away the "harlots", the drunks and the gambling, Firgi would be back to what it used to be, a village with goats and camels, 200 metres from the border post, in Niger.

But since shari'a arrived in neighbouring northern Nigeria, Firgi has grown into a den of vice. Hundreds of men flock here, day and night, to escape punishments under Nigerian Islamic law, 80 lashes for drinking beer, 40 lashes for playing a game of chance and 50 lashes for "procuration of woman".

Damhanza Idriss, a Nigerian in his thirties, threw another 20 naira note (12p) on the straw mat where he was playing whist, and says: " Shari'a is a good thing. It keeps troublesome elements in line." Then he adds: "Every Muslim must say that shari'a is good or he is denying his religion."

Mr Idriss, a cross-border trader, comes to Firgi every week. "The place is open for business around the clock, every day. It allows us to do what we have always done, but which is risky in Nigeria."

Firgi has a rival hotspot, Birni N'Konni, another former pastoral desert village in Niger,[b] 125 miles to the west, is another escape valve from the shari'a stronghold of Sokoto and a haven for "refugee" prostitutes.[/b]http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/nigers-border-prostitutes-and-the-profits-of-islam-683723.html

Southerners too?

If you like I can give a source straight from a Hausa woman who lived at the turn of 19th century, who talks about how open prostitution was in Northern Nigeria?

Please get off your high horse, prostitution is known as the oldest profession in the world for a reason undecided
Your ignorance about your own region has dire consequences for Nigerian women. lipsrsealed

You are one of those Northerners, that for some odd reason believe that you are superior to the rest of Nigeria especially the "pagan" Southerners. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lugard put a foot up your ancestor's collective asse.s like everybody else? In fact Northern Nigeria gave the least resistance to the British. After the British gave one KO to the Fulani, everybody knew what time it was and accepted British rule. In the South people at least put up a fight for a while and still gave the British hell after the fact.So what exactly are you so proud about? Don't get me wrong, people should take pride in their culture, but in your case its some perverse arrogant pride as though you guys were f.u.cking China or something?

1 Like

Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by nagoma(m): 10:37pm On May 04, 2012
@Ngodigha1

Another gutter breed seeking attention? But has no intelligence.
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by oobim(m): 10:38pm On May 04, 2012
What rubbish!shame on these people.northern nigeria's new name is Nigerkistan.kai!ISLAMaBAD mehn
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Crayola1: 10:40pm On May 04, 2012
Let me just say I have no malice towards Northern Nigerian women, they are Nigerians at the end of day and their plight is shared by Nigerian women all over. Its just that people like Nagoma play on the ignorance of some folks who believe hook line and sinker what the British said about their ancestors, consciously/subconsciously.

About the topic at hand, its band-aid policy, marrying 50 women to one man will not alleviate the problems in the North. Only women empowerment, jobs, education, poverty reduction...basically investing in the people will bring change. Few people in the West can manage to support a family with a Wife, Husband, and two children and somehow this scheme which doubles everything is supposed to work in Nigeria, which by all accounts is a poor country?

The cycle of poverty will continue into the next generation.
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by oobim(m): 10:52pm On May 04, 2012
IYA NGBALI: what happened to their cows?they should get married to them afterall they are all cows
You badt gan!lol.didn't u hear all their cows were murdered in pontiskum,abi na pakistan?they no even get cows again.

1 Like

Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by nagoma(m): 10:58pm On May 04, 2012
@crayola
Crayola the white man's nigger is back with his whining and new American gutter slangs. Who told you that the primitive tribes of the southeast fought Lugard? They were too eager to collect mirrors and wine bottles in exchange for slaves. Go and read about the battle of Kano 1902 and the reason why it was ( with exeption of the boar wars of SA ) the hardest for the British . Find out why the rare and highest British military honor the - victoria cross - was give for the final occupation of kano. Read about Buhari of Hadejia and the tough time he gave the European invaders. Read about Sultan Attahiru. You belong to food gatherer civilization who suddenly found themselves in the 20th century and so became drug couriers , kidnappers and 419 stars. The fiction you copied From a kidergarten reporter about imagined blood money payment and the niger/ Nigeria border will remain a boring attempt at fiction writing. Everybody in the world knows how criminal Nigerians are. Majority do not know that these are just criminally minded Igbos spoiling our names.

1 Like

Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by passionate88: 11:11pm On May 04, 2012
Arosa: Are southerners or Christians allowed to marry these women?

Mr. Man... U are not.. Unless u wish to convert to islam... Yet the muslim says christianity is harsh on women...
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Crayola1: 11:42pm On May 04, 2012
Crayola the white man's nigger is back with his whining and new American gutter slangs. Who told you that the primitive tribes of the southeast fought Lugard? They were too eager to collect mirrors and wine bottles in exchange for slaves. Go and read about the battle of Kano 1902 and the reason why it was ( with exeption of the boar wars of SA ) the hardest for the British . Find out why the rare and highest British military honor the - victoria cross - was give for the final occupation of kano. Read about Buhari of Hadejia and the tough time he gave the European invaders. Read about Sultan Attahiru. You belong to food gatherer civilization who suddenly found themselves in the 20th century and so became drug couriers , kidnappers and 419 stars. The fiction you copied From a kidergarten reporter about imagined blood money payment and the niger/ Nigeria border will remain a boring attempt at fiction writing. Everybody in the world knows how criminal Nigerians are. Majority do not know that these are just criminally minded Igbos spoiling our names

Yawn, I thought you said prostitution is a Southern thing? Why did you ignore that part and only answer the tail end of my posts?

Whining about what? Its good to know the White man has you speaking his words, probably warms his heart to know that he has a trained Black monkey saying nigger, how cute. Do you tap dance for the White folks too?

I looked it up, actually it was not. And of course the British would struggle, the Boers were Dutch Europeans who had access to the same weapons they did cheesy

There is the Aro-Anglo War which lasted 2 years
The Ekumeku War which lasted 31 years
The Aba Women's war that forced the British to change many of their colonial policies, removed the warrant chief system, gave women in the East more rights, and inspired other groups in the Eastern region to protest for their rights as well.

But to subdue West Africa, the British had to fight battles and two of the fiercest resistance wars against British rule are recorded in Nigeria and Ghana. In Ghana was the famous “Ashanti campaign” , something of the last stand by the Ashanti over the question of political and economic autonomy. In Nigeria, Lugard whom Taubman had appointed to oversee British interest had killed Atahiru, the Caliph of Sokoto and the Sokoto caliphate had collapsed, the Oyo and Benin Kingdoms had collapsed, and the powerful Ovonranwen exiled to Calabar; even the merchant princes, Jojo n'Opobo (Jaja of Opobo) and Nana of Ebrohimi, had been overwhelmed. But the British waged their longest campaign in Africa with the Igbo resistance of the hinterland. It took them thirty years from 1900-1930 and six military expeditions , the Aro, Ekumeku, Onitsha, Ahiara, Ikwo and the Ezza campaigns, to finally subdue the Igbo who adopted guerilla tactics ( Ndi Oluo-Ogbalaga) until Eze Nri Obalike was forcibly brought to the Awka courts in 1930.

Wasn't slavery just recently abolished in the North in the 1950's. Where nearly 30% of the population were slaves? So as the enlightened people of Nigeria, what took so long?

I saw one British officer awarded the Victoria Cross but that was for fighting the Ashanti tongue
Sources Please.

Emir Buhari (also Bohari, or Bowari; reigned 1848–50, 1851–63) renounced Hadejia’s allegiance to the Fulani sultanate centred at Sokoto in 1851, raided the nearby emirates of Kano, Katagum, Gumel, Bedde, and Jama’are, and enlarged his own emirate. Hadejia was brought back into the Fulani empire after Buhari’s death, but wars with neighbouring Gumel continued until 1872. In 1906 the British installed an emir, Haruna, and incorporated the emirate into Kano province. The emirate became part of newly created Jigawa state in 1991.
^^
This Buhari? Or another one

Sultan Attahiru probably is the only one out of the bunch you gave that actually had information, the rest were duds cheesy

All human civilizations were food gathers numbnuts, humans have to get their food to eat, it just doesn't walk onto your plate you know wink

Well in the North slave raiding was a big thing for the longest time, is that not a form of kidnapping?
419 stars? Ok kiss

The fiction I copied from the UN, which often the gold standard when it comes to information about countries, especially African nations? So Northern Nigeria is the biggest thing on the UN's agenda that it has to make stuff up about it? grin Wow how the mighty have fallen. What you don't like the fact that criminality knows no ethnicity kiss

So instead of challenging my sources, you accuse them of lying? And you are the civilized one?

Nagoma you are too funny, if you can win you deflect. If you can't deflect you insult. What's left?
So tell me 3 credible sources report on prostitution in the North, do you have any facts that says otherwise?

1 Like

Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by nagoma(m): 12:51am On May 05, 2012
@Crayola

1.Yes pros-titration is the oldest profession and exists in all communities but has different degrees of
Stigma and rejection on moral grounds. That is what I was talking about.
2. One of your problems is over dependence on google , while it is perhaps the best easy source of information ( and we should by all means use it) . It is not the only source. researched, reviewed and edited books before publishing give some of the most reliable historical and other data.
3. With the British decision to invade northern Nigeria in 1899 , the first state to fall was Bida followed by cities and kingdoms such as kwantagora , despite the dreaded warrior nagwamatse, Keffi and Zaria fell - I have no space or time to give you the war details.
The emir of Kano Aliyu Babba was fully aware of the happenings as letters were crisscrossing the length and breadth of the caliphate , carried by the swiftest horsemen - day and night.
The emir of kano lost many of his cohorts due to disagreement on whether to fight the British or not. He chose to present the best resistance against the invaders. as counted by the. British Captain Lewis of the Queens Royal Regiment - on that day 6th March 1902 the kano army fought with 2050 horsemen and 5000 foot soldiers. But Kano was defeated and the British Commander Leutenant Wallace Duffield Wright ( who later on became BrigadierGeneral Wright) was conferred with the highest British Empire medal for bravery - the Victoria Cross and theKano Expedition( as the British call it) was classified as Battle of Honour , as the British clearly risked defeat.
Needless to say the emir Aliyu did not stay to hand over surrender. Lugard himself came to kano and received the surrender from the Galadima of Kano Abbas - a cousin of the Emir Aliyu.Abbas was later installed as emir by the British. For your interest - Abbas was the Grandfarther of Emir of Kano Muhammadu Sanusi who reigned from 1953 to 1963 and Muhammadu Sanusi is the bra farther of Sanusi Lamido Sanusi the present CBN Gvernor.
4. I will tell you about the great battle of Hadejia where Buhari the Emir ( the same person in your story) personally fought the British to the end. Even when all his warriors were killed or injured and horses scattered by sound of cannon from the invaders bBuhari with his two sons confronted and continued to fight the British army inside Hadejia city until all the three of them were killed. Hadejia never surrendered to the British. Please find time to read - and not only from google.
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by DECOtech(m): 1:09am On May 05, 2012
I think it wld just turn out to be a case of actually exchanging or reshuffling of spouses amongst them divorcees over. Though I don't knw if any enlightened northern youth wanting to be married to a divorcee.
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by Crayola1: 1:17am On May 05, 2012
Okay Nagoma its clear you rather spit in the face of facts, with that "degrees" bs.

I already said I had a source from a Hausa woman who talked about prostitution in the North. Didn't seem as stigmatized as you claim it to be. Instead of trying to divert just admit that you didn't know that prostitution was a problem in the North, and the fact that all the focus is all on the South based on said assumption had done more harm than good.

From a Hausa Habe woman:

There was no bori (15) dancing in our hamlet except for one of our slaves, Mada, a Gwari, who was sometimes possessed. We used to go to the compounds of the prostitutes in Zarewa town and watch them bon-dancing.

I often saw bori dancing at the compound of Magajiya, (10) the head of the prostitutes, (11) they were the bori-dancers. Among married women you would find one here and there, but most dancers were prostitutes. At Zarewa when we were young there were many prostitutes, they had their large huts in Magajiya's house. A man who went to their compound would take one of them home with him, and in the morning he would give her a little money and she would return to Magajiya's compound. There was Lemo's compound, Magajiya's and Auta's in the Butchers' Ward, they were all houses of prostitutes. The prostitutes came to the town and stayed two or three nights, then they went and some others came. We used to see their huts full of men and women. At night if a thief had stolen something he would sleep with a prostitute and give her money, then he would flee so as not to be caught; but the prostitutes didn't steal.
Some prostitutes ,,:ere the daughters of malams, some were the daughters of noblemen, some were the daughters of commoners; if their parents had arranged marriages for them against their will they ran away and became prostitutes. Then and now, it's all the same; there have always been prostitutes. Magajiya is their mother, when any of them get money they take her a little. A man will come to Magajiya and say 'I desire your daughter'. She says 'Bring your money'. Ifhe hasn't any money, she says 'She does not desire you'. If he has enough money she will desire him. If a prostitute comes to her house without anything, Magajiya will help her.

Lemo and Auta had prostitutes in their compounds, too. The men were always coming, they had their wives, they had their concubines, then they went out and had prostitutes too.
Sometimes a wife, if her husband is away, will steal her own body (12) and go off to other men; 'whoever sees her going along the road desires her, he sends a message by an old woman: 'I have come to greet you. How is the master of the house?' 'He is very well thank you, he has gone away to work.' 'When will he return?' 'Tomorrow.' 'Ap. See, here are some kolanuts, here is some money; so-and-so sent them to you.' 'I'll come tonight.' Then quickly, quickly the wife pays her visit and returns. In the compound of his bond-friend the man will borrow a hut and take her in; his own wives would beat the woman if they saw her in his compound! If the faithless wife has a co-wife she will say to her 'I am going to visit my family'. The co-wife will keep her secret. A married woman may have ten lovers, or even twenty-then or nowadays. She will go and tell her kawa about it. They desire men and they desire money. I never behaved like that.

Magajiya-a woman's title and in pre-Fulani days in Zaria a state title, with fiefs attached to it, usually held by the king's sister or daughter_ In Fulani times, however, womcn ceased to hold state titles, and Magajiya is now a title conferred on the woman head of the prostitutes in any area, whether a village area or district. In the nineteenth century she was responsible for collecting the tax on bori dancers under her
authority-4,OOO cowries per dancer.
(11) Prostitutes-H. karuwai, s. karuwa-lit. a profligate person of
)--either sex, but for fuller discussion sec Introduction, p. 25. B[b]aba's references to karuwai and their activities before the British pacification are interesting, in view of statements made by some Hausa recently in letters to the vernacular newspaper Gaskiya ta ft Kwabo that prostitution
was unknown in Hausaland before 1900.[/b]

I gave you two sources that said Northern women are often lured to the Middle East based on religion or job prospects. I even gave a source of a Northern Nigerian woman who runs a brothel on the Niger-Nigeria border due to implementation of Sharia law in Northern Nigeria. Who actively takes "prostitute refugees" from Nigeria, you really believe all these women are Southerners, if at all undecided

If I used Google shouldn't said books pop up so I can research? I looked and saw a few snippets here and there.

I was kind enough to source, you should do the same cheesy

I see that you have toned down your rhetoric wink

Lol I'm guessing you didn't know that food gatherer civilization who suddenly found themselves in the 20th century and so became drug couriers , kidnappers, and 419 stars gave the British hell, 30+ years to be exact. wink
You at least have to give credit on that grin
Re: Kano State Seeks Husbands For 1,000 Widows & Divorcees by aljharem(m): 1:23am On May 05, 2012
Crayola, it is Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Position On The Nnamdi Kanu-led IPOB Biafra Struggle / "Woman & Her Child In Detention For Protesting In Support Of Nnamdi Kanu". PICS / PDP Warns NYSC Not To Cover Up For Adeosun!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.