Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,651 members, 7,823,844 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? - Sports (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? (42154 Views)

Weeds Overtake Rashidi Yekini’s House (Photos) / Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Sagamite(m): 4:12pm On May 05, 2012
Kayyy: @ sagamite, while you have a point, reality is most of these people using those funds to sponsor themselves abroad for treatment and the waste you call it are doing and would continue to do it as long as the status quo remains, it is the sorry state of our country, nobody is held responsible and they're not answerable to us at the moment (whether you agree with me or not), so if these people enjoy this benefits, how much more people that have shed blood and sweat for nigeria, the example of paul gascoigne in the UK as posted by someone below is a typical example of how you rally round a legend of the country. there was time where gascoinge was in the news for everything bad, neglected, but now he is appearing in the media once in a while after rehabilitation.

i'm also sure you remember maradona's weight issues and how the country rallied around him, and also how boca juniors brought him from no where and placed him in an important position in the club, that is what most people here are refering to.

Did you see the UK government using public funds to exceptionally cater for Gascoigne?

So because some cretins are exploiting our resources we should just start squandering it all anyway?

What is your argument?
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Kala11(m): 4:33pm On May 05, 2012
May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace[b][/b]
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by OBJlive: 4:52pm On May 05, 2012
This is one of those lies that could cause a virgin girl to take in without mating.Rashidi is my neighbour we had a swell time the other night discussing his days in active football and the dwindling fortunes of Nigerian football.The truth is Rashidi is not good in English Language which is the reason why he shy away from news men.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Nobody: 4:57pm On May 05, 2012
This was a topic on nairaland a year ago..www.nairaland.com/620338/rashidi-yekini-now-walks-streets
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by BlueMurder(m): 5:02pm On May 05, 2012
Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un. I am still trying to recover from the shock of the news of the death of this legend. Yeking/Gangling/Goalsfather, RIP. May Allah have mercy on his soul, amin.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Habibakasim(f): 5:23pm On May 05, 2012
Rip
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Nobody: 5:24pm On May 05, 2012
Rashidi Yekini was a legend in football.He was one of my greatest joys growing up because I always KNEW we had a chance with Yekini up front,no matter who his strike partner was.He was always the first name the manager put on the line up because he was such a great player from such a humble background.He had a good shot with both feet,and could conjure goals from free kicks,penalties or from normal open play.Yekini owned the penalty box,with his power play and aerial domination.In his prime he was such a joy to watch and totally unplayable for defenders.
I wish the government could spare a thought for his family and give him the national honor in death that they failed to give him while he was alive.
The first Nigerian to be named African footballer of the year.
The first Nigerian to score a goal at the world cup.
The first Nigerian to be a top scorer in an European league.(Portugal)
RIP Ye-king.
Thanks for all the football memories.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Musiwa51: 5:36pm On May 05, 2012
My tribute to Yeking and tear roll away
mo mo Yekini

Saying Good night to the King Yeking

A switch, a pass and a header
Right move, right place
Just at the point

Pass the ball
Throw it here
Are words that comes

Roger mills
Abedi Pele
Maradona
Know no other one

Tall and smart
Black and fast
He was the King Yeking

No word could describe who is the greatest soccer player Nigeria have ever had.

Adio Yeking

Ka ro ogi re have lost the great

Ki ni ti wa ba je lo run, ni ko ma ba won je

Omo to fi le wa ore

Okunrin ogun…Erin lakatabu

Oro alake, afonja ko si le, sugbon yekini wa be

Afonja Afonja Afonja

Afonja lo le. Okurin meta lo le.

O di gba o se

Adio Yekini so re o.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by safariman(m): 5:39pm On May 05, 2012
RIP Yekini, someone I know and admire, very humble guy
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by DonCarlos1(m): 5:44pm On May 05, 2012
Good nite Yekini. Thanks for making me happy thru football. Good night.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 05, 2012
RIP. sad
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by WhoIGoAsk: 6:44pm On May 05, 2012
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by DMainMan: 7:54pm On May 05, 2012
Na wa o. Ivorians are rueing d lost of Yekini whereas some nigerians are still abusing Yekini even in his death. Innalilahi wainalillahi rajiun. RIP
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by mamagee3(f): 7:57pm On May 05, 2012
May his soul rest in peace!!!

A true african legend.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Nobody: 9:08pm On May 05, 2012
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Abagworo(m): 9:09pm On May 05, 2012
Niseamaka:

CAN YOU EXPATIATE ON THE BOLDED,PLEASE?. R.I.P YEKINI

www.nairaland.com/228155/etim-esin-sues-jj-okocha
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by sylve11: 10:41pm On May 05, 2012
I'll Never forget Rasheed Yekini, Best striker to wore the Nigerian Jersey. R.I.P sad sad sad cry cool
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Niseamaka(m): 10:54pm On May 05, 2012
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by mbulela: 11:58pm On May 05, 2012
Jarus: The insanity story was a rumour. He never lost his sense. He only became very religious in his last few years and became detached detached from worldliness,voluntarily gave out properties in charity, joined the ordinary men on the street mosques for prayers etc. Never lost his sense, those were what people, who expected him to be living high society life as an ex-international, saw and interpreted as insanity. He only became overly religious and detached from worldly fancies.

He was clearly not rich, but appeared contented. I know his two-storey building in our hometown, Offa. I guess that's where he will be buried tomorrow.

http://thenetng.com/2012/05/05/mother-confirms-yekini-battled-mental-illness-before-death/
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Ilekokonit: 2:10am On May 06, 2012
Only in Nigeria is Mental illness a Death sentence

How come Mental illness (something as common in ALL countries of the World) was allowed to claim Yekini's life. What a sad state of affairs Nigeria has degenerated to.

Frank Bruno the British former Heavy weight boxing champion has suffered severally from mental illness but the British National Health Service comes to his aid each time and nurses himback to health FOR FREE.
Bruno recently (April 2012) suffered a mini episode of Mental health issues and had the presence of mind to check himself into rehab. He has already been discharged.

ENOUGH OF THE STIGMATISATION of victims of a debilitating BUT TREATABLE ILLNESS. Our whole society is guilty of stigmatising people with mental illness as mad when in actual fact there is nothing like madness. The correct classification for the condition is Mental Illness. Rashidi's death is a shame to our Country Nigeria and especially for those close to him in the hour of his need who should have known better than to leave him to his fate.

If someone had called the Health authorities and told them of his state then maybe they would have taken him (even if forcibly) to a hospital and give him the anti-depressants and treatment he needs to get better and Rashidi will still be with us today.

But for where ? when the Minister for Health in charge of the health of 160 Million people is busy stealing from the healt budget just like the rest of the LOOTOcrats that have held us by the jugular for too long.

Rest in Peace Rashidi and I hope you now have the peace that Nigeria could not give you.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by tjadeba(m): 2:42am On May 06, 2012
Kayyy: @ sagamite, while you have a point, reality is most of these people using those funds to sponsor themselves abroad for treatment and the waste you call it are doing and would continue to do it as long as the status quo remains, it is the sorry state of our country, nobody is held responsible and they're not answerable to us at the moment (whether you agree with me or not), so if these people enjoy this benefits, how much more people that have shed blood and sweat for nigeria, the example of paul gascoigne in the UK as posted by someone below is a typical example of how you rally round a legend of the country. there was time where gascoinge was in the news for everything bad, neglected, but now he is appearing in the media once in a while after rehabilitation.

i'm also sure you remember maradona's weight issues and how the country rallied around him, and also how boca juniors brought him from no where and placed him in an important position in the club, that is what most people here are refering to.

I agree totally with you..am sure the two examples you mentioned above would have long gone into oblivion if they were to be Nigerians.The Maradona example is a nice illustration of how to recognise our heroes.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by LordReed(m): 8:48am On May 06, 2012
According to this report:

http://thestreetjournal.org/2012/05/the-sad-end-of-rashidi-yekini-how-he-spent-his-last-days/

Rashidi Yekini was not mentally ill merely eccentric and if the account of him being seized is true a post mortem should be done and his death properly investigated.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Sagamite(m): 9:19am On May 06, 2012
It is amazing when people form opinions based on ignorance. This neighbour surely is very ignorant to mental health issues.

Yekini’s neighbours disputed claims that he was mad. One of the people who shared fences with him said “if he was mad, he would not go and engage a labourer to cut the grass in front of his compound when it is due, a mad man will not put on his generator to watch European Champions League games and how would a mad man drive a car and go to the stadium to do exercise? Someone who is mad will definitely not be able to coordinate such activities.”
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Jyde89: 4:06pm On May 06, 2012
Rashigo the king of goal's. A terror in the midst of foe's, a torn in their flesh they know. Rashigo the king of goal's. The gladiator that see's know intimidator, the predator that know's no anaiolator. High up in the sky as your name hoisted our flag, straight into their heart as your presence sinked our fear. When ever you grace the pitch with your boot's, in hermony we lift our voice in your praise. Yekini Yekini Yekini, we shout at the top of voice. For at the end of the day we know that vain will not be our lot. Yekini Yekini you castrated cameroun, Yekini Yekini you gagged Gahna. Yekini Yekini you iced ivory coast, Yekini you zapped zambia. It's been year's since the pitch you left, still your greatness non could test. Other's might mourn the demise of a legend,but i choose not, i choose not to mourn the mortal body of an immortal soul, i choose not to path my tears for an example of a fufilled life. I choose not to mourn the man that live's on forever in my heart, i choose not to mourn the pacesetter for them all. Rashigo the king of goals. The anchor of a great generation, the commander of all strikers in the nation. Even in death,you remain the best.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Jolomisan(m): 4:44pm On May 06, 2012
RIP GREAT HERO OF NIGERIA FOOTBALL
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by LordReed(m): 4:39am On May 07, 2012
Sagamite: It is amazing when people form opinions based on ignorance. This neighbour surely is very ignorant to mental health issues.

Yekini’s neighbours disputed claims that he was mad. One of the people who shared fences with him said “if he was mad, he would not go and engage a labourer to cut the grass in front of his compound when it is due, a mad man will not put on his generator to watch European Champions League games and how would a mad man drive a car and go to the stadium to do exercise? Someone who is mad will definitely not be able to coordinate such activities.”

I suppose many mental ill people go about their daily lives driving themselves and taking care of their houses.

BTW how many mentally ill people do you know who died as a result of their mental illness?
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Sagamite(m): 6:05am On May 07, 2012
Lord_Reed:
I suppose many mental ill people go about their daily lives driving themselves and taking care of their houses.

Your point is?

So people with mental health issues cannot drive or take care of their house?

Lord_Reed:
BTW how many mentally ill people do you know who died as a result of their mental illness?

Someone told you I work in a mental hospital?

So a person with mental issues can not die young?
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by texazzpete(m): 7:05am On May 07, 2012
Lord_Reed:

YES! Yes they do!

I beg you, stop airing your ignorance in public. You think the only mental illness is the one exhibited by those men that roam the street and eat garbage?!

Please read below and educate yourself so you will stop shaming yourself in a public forum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by Bolarge1(m): 9:21am On May 07, 2012
WE HAVE LOST THE GREATEST STRIKER NIGERIA HAS EVER PRODUCED.

R.I.P YEKING!

Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by honeric01(m): 1:12pm On May 07, 2012
texazzpete:

YES! Yes they do!

I beg you, stop airing your ignorance in public. You think the only mental illness is the one exhibited by those men that roam the street and eat garbage?!

Please read below and educate yourself so you will stop shaming yourself in a public forum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder

Sorry but is there anyone living in Nigeria without one mental disorder or the other? it takes a MAD man to live in Nigeria.
Re: Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? by honeric01(m): 1:16pm On May 07, 2012
Throughout the time he was on his own allegedly "mad" he didn't die until his family members came to kidnap him by CHAINING him both hands and legs.

I smell foul play here, i think the family might have killed him, maybe they were afraid he was going to give out all his assets to charity, thereby leaving them with nothing to share. this is my theory and i owe no one any further explanation.

He was all fine on his own until he was taken away bonded in chains with blood all over him (witnessed by neighbors) on Easter day. Nigerians and their wicked act, maybe that's why the country is so CURSED with bad and remorse-less leaders.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Eden Hazard Blamed For Chelsea’s 6 – 0 Loss To Man City / Breakdown Of Inter Miami FC's Astounding Offer To Leo Messi / Funny Exchange Between Asisat Oshoala And Monday Gift.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.