Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? (33497 Views)

What Do You Have Against German Cars(passat Models)? / Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? / Japanese Cars Vs German Cars - Which Do You Prefer To Use In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by agohavivi(f): 6:49pm On Oct 22, 2013
IF IT'S NOT PANADOL IT CAN NEVER BE THE SAME AS PANADOL. GERMAN CARS ARE DECADES AHEAD OF JAPANESE ALTHOUGH THERE'S A PREFERENCE FOR JAPANESE CARS IN NIGERIA COS THEY ARE CHEAPER, HAVE LOWER FUEL CONSUMPTION AND THEIR PARTS ARE EASIER TO ACCESS. IF BOTH HAD SAME GOING RATE IN WHOLE AS WELL AS PARTS, NNA, THE GERMAN BRAND WOULD DEFINITELY BE MY BRAND ANY DAY, ANYTIME.

2 Likes

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Memyselfu2009(m): 6:54pm On Oct 22, 2013
Japanese london use or German London use as long as London is there am good 2 go
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 22, 2013
There's two type of cars. German cars and others

1 Like

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by erico2k2(m): 6:55pm On Oct 22, 2013
ik.swiss:
Please anyone knows any site I can check up on for cars in Germany cos I heard is not expensive over there....
mobil.de or autoscat
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by PassingShot(m): 6:59pm On Oct 22, 2013
Area_boy:

Thank you my broda..

Duno what the madness about German cars really is. Build quality? comfort? Reliability? driving experience? (ok, i know driving exp will have to go to the Germans)

Get a Lexus and you'll have all that and more smiley tongue

So I need a luxury Japanese car to enjoy all that? But you do not need a luxury German car to have it all.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Freiburger(m): 7:00pm On Oct 22, 2013
erico2k2:
mobil.de or autoscat
mobile.de or Autoscout24.de smiley
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 22, 2013
baby-boy:
BMW's SUV idea and technology was first copied from Land Rovers Freelander which was developed by Honda

So in short, the Japanese nurtured an idea, came up with a mediocre SUV, then the Germans came along, took the Japmobile apart, then built an SUV that's light years ahead of the Honda CRV in every way. So they came out on top!

If this allegation is true, it's an even bigger slap in the face of the Japanese, from the Germans! grin

Back to reality. The Landrover Freelander share many similarities with the Honda CRV, the Freelander's AWD transfer box was Japanese-sourced.

BMW's X5 shares no similarities, the engine / transmission for instance is mounted longitudonally, compared to the Honda CRV's transverse layout. The only link between BMW and Landrover was the diesel engines. Landrover Freelander was fitted with the BMW 2.0 common-rail diesel engine from late 2003 in the first generation facelift car, then with the second generation Freelander, the BMW 2.2 DOHC 16V common-rail diesel was used.

Honda and Rover had an alliance circa 1983, with the 1st generation Honda Accord sharing the same basic bodyshell, engines, transmission, suspension and interior trim with the British-owned Triumph Acclaim, which was later bought out by Austin-Rover. Subsequent Rover and Honda models shared lots of similarities, both body and mechanical:

1985 Honda Civic / Ballade = Rover 213/216.
1986 Honda Accord = Rover 600.

BMW bought out Rover, which later became defunct. BMW retained the MINI brand. During BMW's ownership of Rover, the Rover 75 was born. Due to the alliance, the Rover 75 shared rear suspension components with the BMW E39, despite the mainstream 75's being FWD. The Ford Mustang-powered Rover 75 was the range-topper, and RWD, bringing it closer to the BMW E39.

So the link is clear today:

BL (British Leyland) - Honda.
Honda - Rover.
Rover - BMW.

As far as I'm aware, there was no joint collaboration between BMW and Honda, during the build of the BMW X5 and Honda CRV.

2 Likes

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by ikeyman00(m): 7:02pm On Oct 22, 2013
@@@

it not as easy for some of u lots to come out to talk about ur germany box match in ur back garden

go round UK auto parts cars honda and toyota rarely come to shop

so wats all that talk about germany parts last longer

talk to me cool

Jap has since gone into premium to sale cars worldwide

1 Like

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by babyboy3(m): 7:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
agoha_vivi: IF IT'S NOT PANADOL IT CAN NEVER BE THE SAME AS PANADOL. [b]GERMAN CARS ARE DECADES AHEAD OF JAPANESE [/b]ALTHOUGH THERE'S A PREFERENCE FOR JAPANESE CARS IN NIGERIA COS THEY ARE CHEAPER, HAVE LOWER FUEL CONSUMPTION AND THEIR PARTS ARE EASIER TO ACCESS. IF BOTH HAD SAME GOING RATE IN WHOLE AS WELL AS PARTS, NNA, THE GERMAN BRAND WOULD DEFINITELY BE MY BRAND ANY DAY, ANYTIME.

I cant believe you just wrote that?
for 3 decade in the small car industry, coupe, GT, FWD or AWD etc has been rule by the Japanese car industry

1 Like

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Nadoson: 7:10pm On Oct 22, 2013
bashorunbazok: Its a tough question for me.I believe Japanese cars are more fuel efficient and ofcos their spare parts are readily available. However, my ultimate love for Mercedeez, BMW and Audi would make me go with German machines. Talk about German machines, talk about elegance, talk about class. wink
I'v been hearing people complaining of high cunsumption of petrol in mercedes cars but ignore its wort. For instance, if car owners of German & Japanes cars are to record his expensis on each car per year, u'l will know that German cars are far better economically, Lets bring it down, any spare parts fixed in Mercedes cars last longer than two years because of its geniuenty, efficiency & durability.
While a Japanes spare parts can brake down/damage withing the space of hours or days it fixed, so German cars is far better of Japanes cars.
FEATURES OF GERMAN & JAPANES CARS.
* GERMAN= Durability, Efficiency & comfortability.
*JAPANES= More of Comfortability only.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by peromosele: 7:12pm On Oct 22, 2013
Well to me I felt that german cars are stronger interms of engine durability compaire to there japaness counter part. But the japaness cars respond more to easy maintanance, and to the best of my knowlage I strongly believe that the japaness cars are more friendly to water than the german cars. Because is only the person that staying in niger delta area that can give the correct answer between the two cars.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by 0monnakoda: 7:15pm On Oct 22, 2013
These Assumptions about Japanese/German do not reflect modern reality. Take Nissan for example it is part of the same company as renault and they share a lot of technology. I think the division is artificial. In terms of Size Toyota is the biggest car company in the world and offers good value for money.

Many car companies outsource engine manufacture and german cars do not necessarily have german engines or parts these days
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Oct 22, 2013
Originalsly: True..the GTR is a breed all by itself. I think Nissan cars are usually faster than other cars in the same class. The Maxima is a family sedan and also very fast...how fast should someone be driving with his family?...the Maxima would clock 120mph and you would think you're cruising at 90. Where do you want to go with your family at such speeds?...Heaven?

The Nissan Maxima is a family sedan. So is the Audi RS6. Or the BMW M5. Which car will be trailing here?

Asking why anyone would be pushing their cars to the limits with their families on board shouldn't really apply here. Every production car will break the speed limits in their respective countries of build. It's up to the individual driver's to rein in those horses under the hood. Whether they will is anybody's guess, and is more of a moral issue than anything else.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by eightsin(m): 7:18pm On Oct 22, 2013
I kindaa av a tin for german cars (bmw precisely) bt i've got none @moment... Plan on getting a japanese car for now till i save enuf for a very good German
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by babyboy3(m): 7:18pm On Oct 22, 2013
Siena:

So in short, the Japanese nurtured an idea, came up with a mediocre SUV, then the Germans came along, took the Japmobile apart, then built an SUV that's light years ahead of the Honda CRV in every way. So they came out on top!

If this allegation is true, it's an even bigger slap in the face of the Japanese, from the Germans! grin

Back to reality. The Landrover Freelander share many similarities with the Honda CRV, the Freelander's AWD transfer box was Japanese-sourced.

BMW's X5 shares no similarities, the engine / transmission for instance is mounted longitudonally, compared to the Honda CRV's transverse layout. The only link between BMW and Landrover was the diesel engines. Landrover Freelander was fitted with the BMW 2.0 common-rail diesel engine from late 2003 in the first generation facelift car, then with the second generation Freelander, the BMW 2.2 DOHC 16V common-rail diesel was used.

Honda and Rover had an alliance circa 1983, with the 1st generation Honda Accord sharing the same basic bodyshell, engines, transmission, suspension and interior trim with the British-owned Triumph Acclaim, which was later bought out by Austin-Rover. Subsequent Rover and Honda models shared lots of similarities, both body and mechanical:

1985 Honda Civic / Ballade = Rover 213/216.
1986 Honda Accord = Rover 600.

BMW bought out Rover, which later became defunct. BMW retained the MINI brand. During BMW's ownership of Rover, the Rover 75 was born. Due to the alliance, the Rover 75 shared rear suspension components with the BMW E39, despite the mainstream 75's being FWD. The Ford Mustang-powered Rover 75 was the range-topper, and RWD, bringing it closer to the BMW E39.

So the link is clear today:

BL (British Leyland) - Honda.
Honda - Rover.
Rover - BMW.

As far as I'm aware, there was no joint collaboration between BMW and Honda, during the build of the BMW X5 and Honda CRV.

Am not saying they had a joint collaboration, BMW didnt want to develop their own technology, buying Rover Group PLC was a short cut into the 4x4 and small car industry!

Honda owned, 20% stake in Rover, but felt betrayed by BAe by selling Rover to BMW instead of Honda, that's when Honda pulled out of Rover. And thats when BMW changed the Rover 600 series with the Rover 75 model

BMW buying Rover Group PLC gave them a huge advantage the X5 is built from Land Rovers technology
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by omoeso(m): 7:24pm On Oct 22, 2013
Enough said... Now you guys should ask yourself this simple question, why do so many multi-millionaires/billionaires use german cars. Also, notice most presidents and head of states prefer german cars as official cars. Very simple....absolutely un-comparable!
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Bizibi(m): 7:25pm On Oct 22, 2013
Mercedes is the best,i thought it was a gas guzzler but it is good on fuel whn i started driving ml 350
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Oct 22, 2013
baby-boy:
BMW buying Rover Group PLC gave them a huge advantage the X5 is built from Land Rovers technology

Ah-ha! Now we're talking. BMW built the X5 with technology gleaned from the original Land Rover Defender. Similar driveline layout, though the X5 uses a central differential like the Discovery. The Landrover Defender has no centre differential, so the AWD set-up is very different, switchable between AWD and RWD. The X5 is permanent AWD, like the Discovery.

The Honda CRV had nothing to do with the BMW X5, which is the point I was trying to get across earlier.

1 Like

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by babyboy3(m): 7:29pm On Oct 22, 2013
omoeso: Enough said... Now you guys should ask yourself this simple question, why do so many multi-millionaires/billionaires use german cars. Also, notice most presidents and head of states prefer german cars as official cars. Very simple....absolutely un-comparable!

The luxury car market is dominated by the German car industry

The Sport car / 2 door / Coupe market is dominated by Japan
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by cocoduck: 7:31pm On Oct 22, 2013
japan. perfectionists. in Japan. used German cars cost very little when compared to Japanese cars and I don't think they are stupid. the difference between these products are not clear cut as they were. for me Toyota or Mazda. or Nissan gtr
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 22, 2013
baby-boy:

The luxury car market is dominated by the German car industry

The Sport car / 2 door / Coupe market is dominated by Japan

It's easy to see Japan as being dominant when it comes to Sports / Coupes. Because that's where Japan really seem to concentrate their efforts.

The Germans have infiltrated every corner of the motor industry. Which is why today, we have Sporting variants of full-size luxury sedans, mid-size family sedans, wagons, hatchbacks etc. And of course, the obligatiory coupes and roadsters.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by cocoduck: 7:41pm On Oct 22, 2013
Siena:

It's easy to see Japan as being dominant when it comes to Sports / Coupes. Because that's where Japan really seem to concentrate their efforts.

The Germans have infiltrated every corner of the motor industry. Which is why today, we have Sporting variants of full-size luxury sedans, mid-size family sedans, wagons, hatchbacks etc. And of course, the obligatiory coupes and roadsters.

you Know very little about automotive industry.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by babyboy3(m): 7:45pm On Oct 22, 2013
Siena:

If am correct, the small car sales in the last 20 years only VW Golf and Renault Clio has competed with the Japanese models
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 22, 2013
cocoduck: you Know very little about automotive industry.

You're correct, sir. I know nothing. I'm sure you're well versed in every facet of the Automotive Industry, and are here to educate me.

Where do I sign up for classes?

3 Likes

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by sammyv(m): 8:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
German nah d best ooo!! Take it or leave it.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by dante23: 8:05pm On Oct 22, 2013
iheneme: [size=13pt]Japanese is a combo of ruggedness + comfort, while the Germans concentrate mainly on ruggedness. Check out the dashboards of most German brands, particularly Mercedes - they develop stretchmarks after some time[/size]

The truth is that the japanese cars that were built at the same time as those german cars developing stretch marks have long been buried and forgotten.

2 Likes

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by itsmayiela(m): 8:17pm On Oct 22, 2013
Siena:

You're correct, sir. I know nothing. I'm sure you're well versed in every facet of the Automotive Industry, and are here to educate me.

Where do I sign up for classes?
oga siena, u dont need to answer dis novice. Am sure he is new on NL and doesnt know about Siena

on d matter of japanese/german cars,i dont knw wich is beta but i can only use cars dat come frm d country of d inventor of motor cars.....abeg, mak una remind me dat country again
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Konnektions146(m): 8:29pm On Oct 22, 2013
cocoduck:

you Know very little about automotive industry.

You need to apologise to the entire Car-Talk section for this blunder.

Please try and investigate a personality before u comment on anyone here.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Oct 22, 2013
i would have said german but japan?
Saw this car on top gear, i was like WTF!!!
Its 2014-Peugeot-Onyx

1 Like

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by ziccoit: 8:54pm On Oct 22, 2013
Konnektions146:

Lol
The guy doesn't know the Lord of cartalk section on NL. He indeed needs to apologize for this blunder.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Freiburger(m): 9:02pm On Oct 22, 2013
Konnektions146:

I wonder why people just jumps into a topic and throw out garbages.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by lumeneng22: 9:08pm On Oct 22, 2013
You wan supply to NCCA or NAMA? You can ask innochris this time not coscharis.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Experience With A Passat 2.0 (This Whole Thing Happened In 2008) / Would You Buy This 1914 Peugeot L45 2-seater Racecar For N2.7 Billion? (photos) / Benz vs BMW vs Audi: Pure German Machines!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.