Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,603 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? (33501 Views)

What Do You Have Against German Cars(passat Models)? / Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? / Japanese Cars Vs German Cars - Which Do You Prefer To Use In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by asala1: 8:46am On Oct 23, 2013
iheneme: What would you say about Mercedes 190?

Mercedes 190 was made in 1983, so which '83 toyota car is around now.

1 Like

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by babyboy3(m): 8:48am On Oct 23, 2013
laidthrice: That's so not true, a merc keep its forms @ all times, but you see a honda car and toyota car wrinkle and loose body shape, you can neva compare a merc to a toyota! Its like comparing a concorde jet to a sesna aircraft.

Mercedes Benz suffer from rust or corrosion

I'm not proud to have to post this but over the past few years I've noticed many MB cars here in the Northeast US with rust which I consider unacceptable. The W202, 203, 210 and 220 seem to be particularly rust prone.

I really love Mercedes cars as I was practically born into them. I've driven nothing else all my life except for a BMW during my college years. I've put over 500,000 miles on Mercedes automobiles. I'm particularly proud of an 800,000 mile 220D which I successfully drove cross country and back with no breakdowns. I'm also proud of a 450SEL which was driven to 330,000 miles with absolutely no engine work except for a timing chain replacement. I still have a 1971 220 bought new by my parents. This car is in pristine shape.

I am still the proud owner of mostly older cars: 1958 300d, 1963 220SEb coupe, 1971 220, 1971 280SL, 1973 220D, 1982 240D and a 2005 G500. I am however very hesitant to purchase anything new or newer from Mercedes based upon what I consider a pretty bad rust track record. It's too early to tell what the W204, 212, 221 etc models will do and honestly I'm not sure I want to find out. I would really like to continue to buy Mercedes cars but some reassurance would be necessary. Where I would get the reassurance I don't know!!

Here are some pictures I've taken over the past few months to illustrate my point. These are not what I would consider fluke occurrences as I've seen many, many more such cars which I did not photograph. These cars have rust everywhere - not just one isolated panel which could be attributed to poorly done bodywork. All these photos were taken in Massachusetts

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by 190theclown: 8:51am On Oct 23, 2013
iheneme: What would you say about Mercedes 190?

angry
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Treasure103(f): 9:44am On Oct 23, 2013
BENZ any day; any time; any where.

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by cocoduck: 10:42am On Oct 23, 2013
many poeple here know litttle about the auto industry there are feature cars and luxury cars ie lexus is owned by toyota lexus can compete with any car that germans can come up with. and the differences of the new cars are no longer clear cut as they used to be who da FVCK is sienna he know little or nothing about this.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by xyuche: 10:59am On Oct 23, 2013
Garman Cars are strong ,more durable and more expensive but it all depend on ur choice and financial capability. normality u r not suppose to use a car more than 3 years before going for a newer edition of ur choice model. I always advice poeple if you have the money go for mint ,at least the next 3 years so far you have a good maintenance culture,its only the oil you will be changing ,unless some that may develop some technical defects as a result of factory error.if you maintain a good Chinese mint car,it will last longer than Garman tokumbo car.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by saintNinoBran(m): 11:00am On Oct 23, 2013
I personally will prefer German cars because of it's durability, viability and strong, Japanese are only shine shine.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by iheneme(m): 11:32am On Oct 23, 2013
asala1:

My uncle's Toyota Crown is still intact. The interior condition is unassailable considering the age!
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 23, 2013
cocoduck: who da FVCK is sienna he know little or nothing about this.

Probably more than one who has to resort to verbal abuse to get his point across. I challenge you to defend your preferred marque, constructively, and without verbal abuse, or swearing.

Can you manage that?

smiley

2 Likes

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Beaf1: 11:44am On Oct 23, 2013
cocoduck: many poeple here know litttle about the auto industry there are feature cars and luxury cars ie lexus is owned by toyota lexus can compete with any car that germans can come up with. and the differences of the new cars are no longer clear cut as they used to be who da FVCK is sienna he know little or nothing about this.

Get the f^ck out of here. Attention seeker.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Beaf1: 11:47am On Oct 23, 2013
Siena:

Probably more than one who has to resort to verbal abuse to get his point across. I challenge you to defend your preferred marque, constructively, and without verbal abuse, or swearing.

Can you manage that?

smiley

^
Pls ignore this envious bast@rd.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by egariyi(f): 11:57am On Oct 23, 2013
wopy: This is the first time...... What an opportunity to b d first to respond...

GERMAN CARS ALL D WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are your reasons! the poster stated his reasons/experiences. its not enough to say it sentimentally. pls provide reasons/experiences to confirm your position. Thank you!
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by PBundles(m): 12:19pm On Oct 23, 2013
Siena GTFO here! Did you have a 74 Mustangtongue God I love that car! I wanted to get one and refurbish it, Light Blue metalic the works, but they changed the tax ruling on old timers here making it very expensive to keep, but one day....................

Siena:

I love older Yank tanks. I owned a 1974 Ford Mustang back in the day, great car. I'll get another US classic hotrod at some point, love 'em.

The Americans build huge engines with big power, due to the much lower cost of gasoline. When it comes to handling though, the Euro models have the edge. Which is why even a US-spec Mercedes-Benz gets trounced by the equivalent model. US-spec cars have softer suspension, and are geared more towards comfort on long interstate trips.

Build quality of Euro cars is still unrivalled by that of the Americans. The gap has closed in recent years, but Europe is still ahead. The average American will own some reall nice hot-rod, or modern NA offering, but will still admit Euro boxes are better put together.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by asala1: 12:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
iheneme: My uncle's Toyota Crown is still intact. The interior condition is unassailable considering the age!
How many Toyota Crowns do you see on Nigerian roads or in Auto marts compare to 190?
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by PBundles(m): 12:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
Sorry to hear about this, but I beg to differ especially with the later models due to the spraying process. I have seen this on aother cars as well, but this was due to cars that were either involved in accidents and got retouched without proper anti rust processing or adding of strippings after wards.

baby-boy:

Mercedes Benz suffer from rust or corrosion

I'm not proud to have to post this but over the past few years I've noticed many MB cars here in the Northeast US with rust which I consider unacceptable. The W202, 203, 210 and 220 seem to be particularly rust prone.

I really love Mercedes cars as I was practically born into them. I've driven nothing else all my life except for a BMW during my college years. I've put over 500,000 miles on Mercedes automobiles. I'm particularly proud of an 800,000 mile 220D which I successfully drove cross country and back with no breakdowns. I'm also proud of a 450SEL which was driven to 330,000 miles with absolutely no engine work except for a timing chain replacement. I still have a 1971 220 bought new by my parents. This car is in pristine shape.

I am still the proud owner of mostly older cars: 1958 300d, 1963 220SEb coupe, 1971 220, 1971 280SL, 1973 220D, 1982 240D and a 2005 G500. I am however very hesitant to purchase anything new or newer from Mercedes based upon what I consider a pretty bad rust track record. It's too early to tell what the W204, 212, 221 etc models will do and honestly I'm not sure I want to find out. I would really like to continue to buy Mercedes cars but some reassurance would be necessary. Where I would get the reassurance I don't know!!

Here are some pictures I've taken over the past few months to illustrate my point. These are not what I would consider fluke occurrences as I've seen many, many more such cars which I did not photograph. These cars have rust everywhere - not just one isolated panel which could be attributed to poorly done bodywork. All these photos were taken in Massachusetts
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by omar22(m): 12:43pm On Oct 23, 2013
asala1:

The Celica, Corolla, Corona, Hilux, Landcruiser etc

Actually a 1980 Celica is a collectors items very expensive to get compared to a 190 or 200e

1 Like

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 23, 2013
PBundles: Sorry to hear about this, but I beg to differ especially with the later models due to the spraying process. I have seen this on aother cars as well, but this was due to cars that were either involved in accidents and got retouched without proper anti rust processing or adding of strippings after wards.

Bro, sadly I'll concur with Baby-Boy here. Mercedes-Benz rust like mad, even in none-accident repaired areas like around the sunroof, A-pillars around the windshield, and the A-posts that support the front door hinges.

Wheel arches literally rot, with the rears so bad, the inner wheel arch wells seperate from the outer skins. Boots rot around the lock, license plate screws. Early models with the side repeaters on the front wings rot around the repeater assemblies, the wings rot where the front bumpers meet the metalwork, the doors rot at the bottoms, in extreme cases causing the outer door skins to seperate from the frame, boot lids rot where the license plate lights fit, causing them to drop out, hanging from the wires.

Sills rot at the ends, doors rot where the side mouldings attach to the metalwork, worse with "padded" models, whereby moisture gets trapped between the plastic padding and the metalwork.

Literally, there's no part of MB's that are not rust-prone. I love MB's, but in terms of rust, the Japanese have better quality steel, or rust protection. Heck, even the Korean models are better rust-proofed. I tend to keep my cars a long time, otherwise I would have a late model MB on my driveway, alongside my Audi's and Beemer. If I was going to own one from brand new, and keep it for 3 years, I would pick MB over Lexus. If longer, then I would go for Lexus, or an older classic MB, which seem to resist the Red Terror better than later models.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
dante23:

Calm down sir, The lamborghini and the bugatti are owned by VW which therefore makes them GERMAN.

The same way Landrover is owned by Tata which makes Landrover Indian? Or because Volvo is owned by Geely makes Volvo Chinese? Or because Nissan controls Renault makes Renault Japanese? I don't buy it. Those Supercars are as Italian as macaroni. Ownership of a car company does not trump heritage, design source and base of operations.

Italian cars are the best on the planet. German cars are small boys compared to Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Bugatti, Alfa Romeo, Pagani etc.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by omonnakoda: 1:29pm On Oct 23, 2013
asala1:
How many Toyota Crowns do you see on Nigerian roads or in Auto marts compare to 190?
Toyota Crown is not the same generation as 190 but with the Mercedes W123
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W123
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 23, 2013
peterjero:
Research very well my brother, nothing beats a BENZ you know who makes MAYBACH EXELERO(world most expensive custom car)? Benz . BMW manages Bentley, mini cooper. VW manages Lamborghini. So respect German cars, all we need is money and knowledge to make them happy. German car rules

That BMW manages Bentley/Mini does not trump its heritage and history as a British car maker. That VW manages Lamborghini does not change its Italian roots and operational base. Fiat owns and controls Chrysler. Does that mean Chrysler is Italian?

1 Like

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 23, 2013
kalokalo: The same way Landrover is owned by Tata which makes Landrover Indian? Or because Volvo is owned by Ford makes Volvo American? I don't buy it. Those Supercars are as Italian as macaroni. Ownership of a car company does not trump heritage, design source and base of operations.

I agree. Ownership of a marque may change, but the heritage remains the same.

kalokalo: Italian cars are the best on the planet. German cars are small boys compared to Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Bugatti, Alfa Romeo, Pagani etc.

Italian cars are the best on planet Earth? I disagree with this.

Mainstream Italian cars, like Fiat, Lancia and Alfa Romeo compete against the mainstream German marques. These Italian cars are high maintenance, and can be described as fragile. The average comparable Japanese car may not match the performance of the Italian rivals, (which are argueably real driver's cars) but are streets ahead in terms of durability. As a daily driver, An Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS is highly strung, a Toyota Corolla Sport, BMW 120 M-Sport or Audi A3 1.8T Sport isn't.

The supercar sector has been dominated by the Italians - Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bugatti, Pagani, Maserati for many years. Then the Nissan Skyline R32 / R33 came along, narrowing the gap. Today, the Nissan GTR is a formidable contender, a sport Grand Tourismo, with 4 seats and performance to seriously threaten the Italian masters. Very few Italian supercars are practical as daily drivers, and definitely not for a family. Then there's the Porsche, which is as practical as it gets, especially the Panamera, which has supercar performance in a 5-door, 4 seater body. It will also outlive the Italians.

Down the road from me is Verdi Ferrari, all they cater for is supercars. Google them, and see what they're up to. Italian supercars spend a lot of time undergoing surgery, as they break often. I like them, but as a daily driver (and sole means of transport) not practical. If you're referring to outright pace, then a Caterham 7 will run rings round the average Italian supercar.

2 Likes

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by instinctg(m): 2:52pm On Oct 23, 2013
^^^^ Spot on !
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by omar22(m): 3:15pm On Oct 23, 2013
Siena:

I agree. Ownership of a marque may change, but the heritage remains the same.

Italian cars are the best on planet Earth? I disagree with this.

Mainstream Italian cars, like Fiat, Lancia and Alfa Romeo compete against the mainstream German marques. These Italian cars are high maintenance, and can be described as fragile. The average comparable Japanese car may not match the performance of the Italian rivals, (which are argueably real driver's cars) but are streets ahead in terms of durability. As a daily driver, An Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS is highly strung, a Toyota Corolla Sport, BMW 120 M-Sport or Audi A3 1.8T Sport isn't.

The supercar sector has been dominated by the Italians - Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bugatti, Pagani, Maserati for many years. Then the Nissan Skyline R32 / R33 came along, narrowing the gap. Today, the Nissan GTR is a formidable contender, a sport Grand Tourismo, with 4 seats and performance to seriously threaten the Italian masters. Very few Italian supercars are practical as daily drivers, and definitely not for a family. Then there's the Porsche, which is as practical as it gets, especially the Panamera, which has supercar performance in a 5-door, 4 seater body. It will also outlive the Italians.

Down the road from me is Verdi Ferrari, all they cater for is supercars. Google them, and see what they're up to. Italian supercars spend a lot of time undergoing surgery, as they break often. I like them, but as a daily driver (and sole means of transport) not practical. If you're referring to outright pace, then a Caterham 7 will run rings round the average Italian supercar.

Theres a reason why they have dominated F1 245 race wins out 800+ by cars with an Italian engine (Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and Maserati)
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Oct 23, 2013
^^^ You're right there, Omar. But how many of us are lucky (or rich enough) to have an F1 car parked on our driveways?

We're talking about road cars, bro, that you could walk into a dealership to order. A car that you could drive to Wallmarts or Tescos for a spot of shopping. smiley
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by omar22(m): 3:32pm On Oct 23, 2013
Siena: ^^^ You're right there, Omar. But how many of us are lucky (or rich enough) to have an F1 car parked on our driveways?

We're talking about road cars, bro. smiley

Just talking about Speed and power (Super sport car) nothing rivals the Italians, on the other hand Le Man have been dominated by Audi powered engines.

So which one will you choose?

McLaren F1 or Ferrari Enzo

or Bugatti or Pagani Zonda

Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by rhames(m): 3:38pm On Oct 23, 2013
German Machine anytime anyday.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by ALGAMISH: 4:55pm On Oct 23, 2013
German all the way!
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by erico2k2(m): 5:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
ikeyman00: @@@

it not as easy for some of u lots to come out to talk about ur germany box match in ur back garden

go round UK auto parts cars honda and toyota rarely come to shop

so wats all that talk about germany parts last longer
Howmany honda n toyota do U see compared to Vws n Audis.

talk to me cool

Jap has since gone into premium to sale cars worldwide
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by cocoduck: 5:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
Beaf!:

^
Pls ignore this envious bast@rd.
nA you be bastard. envious of what. my papa na Japanese?

but ' ichiban ' the quality of various car brands today are no longer clear cut as they used to be. have you seen the latest avensis. rav 4 or even small cars like Nissan leaf these are feature cars. then if you go into luxury cars then you compare Mercedes with lexus,infinty etc more but for me I love Toyota cars because of their second hand value. (I deal in auto spare parts) moreover it also depends on the level of maintenance you give to the car. I have seen a 1996 Honda crv that looks and sounds like it is just coming out of the factory. SO brother Toyota siena And cow meat (nta nta ) do some more research. I love Toyota hummer.
Re: Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? by PBundles(m): 5:54pm On Oct 23, 2013
Wont argue with you bro, you got the cars specs thing down. I have been following your posts, RESPECT.

But in your opinion why the big difference in models ( old ones vs new).

Siena:

Bro, sadly I'll concur with Baby-Boy here. Mercedes-Benz rust like mad, even in none-accident repaired areas like around the sunroof, A-pillars around the windshield, and the A-posts that support the front door hinges.

Wheel arches literally rot, with the rears so bad, the inner wheel arch wells seperate from the outer skins. Boots rot around the lock, license plate screws. Early models with the side repeaters on the front wings rot around the repeater assemblies, the wings rot where the front bumpers meet the metalwork, the doors rot at the bottoms, in extreme cases causing the outer door skins to seperate from the frame, boot lids rot where the license plate lights fit, causing them to drop out, hanging from the wires.

Sills rot at the ends, doors rot where the side mouldings attach to the metalwork, worse with "padded" models, whereby moisture gets trapped between the plastic padding and the metalwork.

Literally, there's no part of MB's that are not rust-prone. I love MB's, but in terms of rust, the Japanese have better quality steel, or rust protection. Heck, even the Korean models are better rust-proofed. I tend to keep my cars a long time, otherwise I would have a late model MB on my driveway, alongside my Audi's and Beemer. If I was going to own one from brand new, and keep it for 3 years, I would pick MB over Lexus. If longer, then I would go for Lexus, or an older classic MB, which seem to resist the Red Terror better than later models.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Would You Buy This 1914 Peugeot L45 2-seater Racecar For N2.7 Billion? (photos) / Benz vs BMW vs Audi: Pure German Machines! / Hyundai Launches Car With A Roof-based Solar Charging System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.