Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This (61704 Views)

I've Got An Interview To Attend But I've Chicken Pox. What Should I Do?? / He Missed An Interview Because……. / Job Interview With Ease, (if U Are About To Attend An Interview U Must Read This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by bolaoni(m): 12:28pm On Nov 13, 2007
So months back, there was a discussion here on why people don't get employed
and I was part of the contributors then. I wish I could see the thread once again.
There is something that touched me and that is the fact that most people that
attends Job Interviews don't know the right way to go about it.

The conclusion then is that most people are UNEMPLOYABLE!

Well, that is a problem but there must be a solution to that. Do you know the rules
of Job Interviews? Read the article below and you will see something you are
expected to do and not to do wink

Dos and Don'ts of Job Interviews

Are you in the process of trying to get a new job? If you have already applied for a few jobs, there is a good chance that you may end up having an interview scheduled soon, if you don’t already have one arranged. As you likely already know, a job interview is often the deciding factor in whether or not you get hired. That is why it is important that your interviews go off without a hitch. To ensure that they do, you may want to familiarize yourself with the most common job interview dos and don’ts, some of which are outlined below.

One thing that you will want to do is prepare for your interview. There are too many individuals who mistakenly believe that all interviews are the same. This is actually something that you do not want to do. Yes, many interviews are similar in nature, but they are not all the same. In all honesty, it depends on the job that you are being interviewed for and the employer in question. Instead of assuming that your job interview will be just like the last one, you are advised to expect something different, to help keep you on your toes. wink

Another thing that you will want to do is practice for your interview. As it was previously mentioned, many job interviews are similar in nature, despite being a little bit different. They are often similar based on some of the basic questions that are asked. For instance, some of those questions may be centered on your professional goals, your need to succeed, and so on. No matter how prepared you are for these questions, they can be difficult to answer in the moment. That is why you do want to prepare for your interview by doing a few practice runs, preferably with a friend or a relative.

As stated above, during the interview process, you will be asked a number of questions. These questions are what enables an employer to gain insight into you, your life, and your work habits. When responding to questions that you are asked or even when just making conversation, it is advised that you keep everything professional in nature. [/b]What you do not want to do is divulge too much information about your personal life. For instance, employers do not need to know how old you are or if you have any children. Also, do not badmouth any of your previous employers or bosses, as this will tend to make you look bad yourself.

When going for a job interview, [b]it is important that you are properly dressed
. What you do not want to do is wear jeans, sweatpants, or clothing that is too revealing. To increase your chances of getting a job, you want to look professional for your job interview. This not only includes your clothing, but your appearance as well. If you need to put on makeup or get a hair cut, go ahead and do so. When looking to hire a new employee, many employers want someone who can represent the company in a positive matter. That is why it is important that you do place at least a little bit of focus on your appearance.

Since the interview process is what is often the deciding factor in whether or not you are hired, you will want to make sure that your interview is one that is memorable, and in a good way. To do that, you will want to keep the above mentioned job interview do’s and don’ts in mind.

For more tips, visit: http://www.careerboostingtips.com
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by bolaoni(m): 2:46pm On Nov 14, 2007
This is another useful Interview tips for all wink

Have you recently landed a job interview, from one of the job listings that you applied to? If you have, when is your interview scheduled? If your interview is scheduled to take place in a few days or even in a few hours, are you prepared for it? What you may not know is that most job applicants aren’t. To make sure that you are prepared for your interview, you will want to continue reading on.

When it comes to hiring an applicant, there are many interviewers who do place a large focus on personal appearance. This focus on personal appearance doesn’t just focus on beauty, but hygiene as well. Employers want to hire workers who will give their business a good public perception. That is why it is important that you give that good perception, especially in an interview. When attending a job interview, you will want to make sure that you are professionally dressed, either in a pant suit or a dress. Make sure that your hair is well kept as well. In fact, you may want to think about buying a new outfit or getting your hair done before your interview is scheduled to take place.

Before your interview, you may also want to make a trip to the store to purchase some needed supplies, if you don’t already own them. These supplies may include a notebook, writing utensils, and a thank you note. As for the notebook and a writing utensil, you may want to take notes during your interview. If you applied to more than one job listing, you may have multiple interviews scheduled. Taking notes during your interviews will help you keep all of them straight. Also, taking notes during a job interview makes you look as if you are more interested in the job. It is also shows a side of you that says “I am professional and always prepared.”

As for the thank you note, which was mentioned above, you will want to send a thank you note to your interviewer. A thank you note may also help to create a good, positive impression of yourself. With thank you notes, many have intentions of sending them, but not everyone ends up doing so. Having a standard thank you note already filled out and ready to go is ideal. In fact, you may also want to drop it off at the post off right after your interview has been completed. Of course, make sure that you don’t drop it off beforehand. Should the mail be delivered early or your interview needs to be rescheduled, you may be embarrassed with the early delivery of a thank you note, for an interview that never even occurred yet.

As you likely already know, job interviews are where hiring employers are able to learn as much as they can about you. This is often done by asking a series of questions. The questions that you are asked during a job interview will tend to vary, but most are likely focused around your goals and your work ethics. For instance, you may be asked to describe you strengths and your weaknesses, your goals in life, your desire to move up the corporate ladder and such. Even if these questions are expected to be asked, it can be nerve-wracking when they are actually asked. That is why you may want to do a number of practice interviews. These practice interviews work best with another person, like a family member or a friend, but you can also do them by yourself, like in front of a mirror. Practicing your responses before a job interview is one of the best ways to make sure that your answers come out exactly the way that you wanted them to.

The above mentioned preparation tips are just a few of the many that you may find useful, when it comes to preparing for a job interview. If you are hoping to schedule multiple interviews, you may want to invest in resource guides that focus on successfully mastering the interview process, as that interview process is often the deciding factor in whether or not you get hired.

Source:
Preparing For Job Interviews
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by Tammyo: 11:08pm On Nov 14, 2007
you two are simply the best.many thanks for the info!
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by Jezgirl(f): 11:51pm On Nov 14, 2007
Jus exactly wot i needed especially the note takin durin d interview, i've got an interview comin up with GlaxoSmithKline and as @ dis moment, i'm still nervous, altough i stil ave 2 weeks b4 d interview so i'll get d chance 2 practice.
Fanks alot @ d poster. kiss
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by bolaoni(m): 1:00am On Nov 15, 2007
@Tammy O, just one poster: bolaoni wink

@Jezgirl, all the best. Just GO for it with your all and success shall be yours.
I am awaiting your testimony soon. kiss
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by REZIGIRL(f): 8:33am On Nov 15, 2007
bolaoni u just too much. This is really good. Do u knw I had an interview just last week and I actually was taking some notes down when I asked the panel some questions, little did I knw that wht I was doing is actually professional.
I love this piece, I just hope every job seeker reads thru this article.
Thanks brother. Keep it up.
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by bolaoni(m): 8:54am On Nov 15, 2007
@REZIGIRL,

Just doing my bit to contribute to other's lives o.

If you know those that the piece will benefit, just click on the send button at the bottom of the thread and send it to them. You are doing them a lot of good by doing so wink

I am still making my research and will post more tips here.

All the best Ma'am
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by Swordsman: 12:00pm On Nov 15, 2007
You can add these as well to your reminders. I wish us all the best.

Success at Interviews

Questions to have thought about prior to interview stage

What do you know about the position?

What department/ group is it in?
Who will you be working for?
What does the position entail/ what duties are involved?
What skills are needed?
What are the main objectives of this role?
Who will be your customers? What do they need?

Why are you interested?

Can you utilise your skills?
Do they offer the career progression you desire?
Do they offer a team environment?
Can you get fully involved/ take on responsibility?

Why do you think you could do the job?

Do you have the correct typing speed?
Do you have the correct computer packages?
Do you have previous experience?
Have you got the right attitude/ are you enthusiastic enough?

What qualities can you bring to the role?

Good examples of characteristics:- Well organised, team player, works well to deadlines, can perform under pressure, enjoy a challenge, highly motivated, patient, flexible attitude, confident, enthusiastic, hardworking, good communicator!
Good examples of skills: Advanced on PowerPoint/ Word/ Excel etc. A strong background in maintaining databases. Have supported large teams of up to 30 people. Has experience of undertaking project work.
Try to think of three qualities that relate to the role/ company and ALWAYS think of examples of where/ when you have used these skills – i.e. In my current role, it is essential that I produce the weekly report by Friday afternoon, therefore, I am used to working to strict deadlines.

What do you know about the company?

How long has it been established?
How many employees does it have?
Is the company expanding?
Who are the company’s competitors?
What does the company do/ what is its principal business activity?
What is the company’s mission statement?

Good questions to ask at the interview

What type of person would best fit the role?
Why has the vacancy arisen?
Is the company expanding?
Is there room for promotion/ progression?
What type of person would fit into your organisation/ department?
Who else would I be working for/ with?
How many people are in the department?
What will my typical day entail?
What responsibilities would I have?
Is there the opportunity to use my initiative?

Popular questions asked at interview

Tell me about yourself.
Ask the interviewer what they would like you to cover. Educational achievements?
Software experience?

What are your strengths?
Again, think of your three main skills and ALWAYS give examples of where/ when you
have used them.

What are your weaknesses?
Study the job specification and company profile and decide on a weakness that is not essential to the role/ company. Good examples:
The job spec states that there will be an occasional amount of audio typing. Your response: Having read the job specification, I understand that I will undertake an amount of audio typing. I haven’t used audio on a regular basis but I am a quick learner and more than happy to develop this skill.
You will be working for a team of twenty people. Your response: I’ve not actually worked for a team as large as this but I am confident that I have the right organisational skills to make a success of this role.
The company is a management consultancy. Your response: I haven’t actually worked for a management consultancy before but I am confident that I can make a success of this role as I have good experience within customer-focussed roles and strong communication skills at all levels.

You are therefore letting the client know that you have read and understood the requirements of the company/ role, have related your experience to these requirements, have the confidence and ability to be successful and are more than willing to ‘make a go of it’! The client will forget there was ever a weakness in the first place!

What do you know about the job?
Relay to the client that you understand what will be involved in a typical day to include
software used, who you will be supporting, what probable deadlines you will have to
meet, along with the characteristics you will need (calm under pressure etc.).

Why are you interested in this position?
Good examples:
Will be able to fully utilise my software experience.
Working for a larger organisation/ team.
Taking on more responsibility.
A busier, more involved role.
Chances to use ones own initiative.

Why are you leaving your current position?
Because you want to secure the above opportunities.

How do you feel about working overtime?
State that you’re committed to completing the task in hand and therefore understand that
this cannot always be done within standard office hours. Give examples of where you
have willingly undertaken overtime in the past.

If I were to approach your boss/ colleague, what would s/he say about you?
Good examples:
Easy to get along with.
Willing to muck in.
Reliable.
Cheerful to be around.
Gets the job done!

What would you be most remembered for in your last job?
Use any of the above examples or relay a significant achievement during your time with
the company.
I secured a contract worth £x, which enabled a new support team to be established.

What special achievements have you had in your current role?
Have you set up new systems, developed a more efficient filing system, trained a new
employee or successfully completed training courses? Try and relate your answers to the
role that you are applying for.

What special achievements did you obtain in school/outside work? How have these helped you in a working environment?
Were you a successful member of an organisation (Queens Scout/ Army Cadet)? What
sporting achievements have you had? Charity/ volunteer involvement? Evening classes?

Why should we employ you?
Another way of asking for your strengths/ qualities.

Give me ten words that best describe your personality?
You should know these by now!

Where do you see yourself in five year’s time? What are your aims for the future?
As before, more responsibility . . . . . . . . . . etc.

What do you know about the company?
Again, you should research this before the interview.

Why do you want to join this company?
Are they progressive, forward-thinking, expanding?

If you turned the clock back, what would you do differently in your career?
Try and be positive about what you have achieved so far. Have a purpose/ reason for why
you have done things.

What made you choose those particular GCSE/ A Level/ Degree subjects?

Why did you decide not to go into further education?
Were you ready to tackle the working environment? Keen to step onto the career ladder?
Able to secure an opportunity that lead to in-house study?

What is the hardest thing that someone has asked you to do?
Have you worked alone on a big project? Organised a big event from scratch? Stood in
for a more senior member of staff? Trained a new employee? Met with clients alone?

What is the biggest decision you have made?
To return to university? To relocate for a new job? To move to a new company?

What challenges you? What motivates you?
Responsibility? Opportunity to use own initiative? Busy, hectic environment? Own
projects? Working to deadlines? Achieving targets?

What type of people do you work best with?

What book/ newspaper are you reading at the moment and why?

What do you have to have in the office to operate effectively? What couldn’t you operate without in the office? What do you expect from your employers? What do you expect to achieve within this role? What training would you expect?

Situational Questions

What would you do if ……….?

How would you react if ……….?

Give an example of where you have experienced a stressful situation in the workplace.
How did you handle that stress/ what steps did you take to resolve the situation? How
could you minimise this risk for the future? What did you learn from this experience?

Give an example of when you have had to perform within strict deadlines? How did you
perform? What did you learn from this experience?

You are in the office on your own. There is nobody to contact and the computer system crashes. Clients are urgently waiting for a proposal. What do you do?

NOTE: You must think about the type of situations they may ask you about. It would normally be something relevant to the position:-
Dealing with managerial staff.
Dealing with subordinates.
Handling customer queries or complaints.
A situation where you need to utilise your communication skills and common sense.

Dressing for interview

Please take into consideration the following points when dressing for interview:-

Wear a dark business suit - black, grey or navy
Skirt suits are preferable
An ironed, business shirt is preferable to a Lycra top!
Do not have bare legs - wear tights or stockings
Wear clean, polished, dark coloured corporate looking shoes
Keep jewellery to a minimum - less is more!
Keep make up on the conservative side
Chewing gum is a definite no-no!
Make sure that your mobile phone is switched off during your interview

Remember, the average interview lasts between 30 minutes to 1 hour – not very long in the realm of life! Why miss out on that new job that will offer you better prospects/ more money/ more responsibility due to nerves! As long as you’ve prepared for your interview, you should concentrate on ‘selling’ yourself! Ask yourself, ‘Why should they recruit me?’ If you don’t know, then you haven’t prepared yourself properly! Go get that job!

Always arrive ten minutes early for an interview.
Always allow yourself enough time for the interview - if you are rushed and stressed, your best attributes will not be on show!
Call your consultant as soon as the interview has finished - she will want feedback to give to the client.

Reasons why candidates are most rejected for jobs:

They did not show enthusiasm
They did not understand the job fully
They did not know enough about the company
They did not give examples of when they had worked under pressure or how they prioritised their time
They were not consistent enough in their answers (this usually happens when two interviews have taken place and the candidate has attended two separate interviews)
The candidate came across very well at first interview but not as well on their second meeting (a common misconception when the candidate feels that the job is theirs after the first interview)
The candidate was too nervous
Presentation was not adequate
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by Alx(m): 1:39pm On Nov 15, 2007
you have done a great job this are simply tips most of us going for interview dont know, the [font=Lucida Sans Unicode]lord is your muscles, keep up the good work. God bless u. cheesy[img][/img]
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by shescute4(f): 12:11am On Nov 16, 2007
@bolaoni & swordsman,thank you. u've both been of immense help.God bless u.
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by bolaoni(m): 12:24am On Nov 16, 2007
shescute,

Thanks a bunch. Hoping the tips will do you a lot of good. Print them if you have to and share with numerous others that the tips will be helpful to wink
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by Tammyo: 5:59am On Nov 16, 2007
bolaoni, i think ur advice is good.just printed out all this stuff
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by bolaoni(m): 10:08am On Nov 16, 2007
Tammy o, just study them intently and let them be a part of you. Keep coming back to this
thread because I will be sharing some great tips as I get them. wink

All the best to you and all the numerous job seekers kiss
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by same410(m): 1:04pm On Nov 16, 2007
Hi Bolaoni
to support the good work u are doing, i am making the following books available to mebers of this forum from today up to sunday.

1. 201 Best Questions To Ask On Your Interview
2. Dynamite Answers to Interview Questions

Interested members should go www.waymakerz..com for the download information.

Please d books are for educational purpose. Not for sale.

Cheers

SB
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by obyann(f): 3:45pm On Nov 16, 2007
many good people in Nairaland. well done to you guys cool
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by Sandscape(m): 5:18pm On Nov 16, 2007
Great tips!
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by dapsins69(m): 6:18pm On Nov 16, 2007
you guy's are the best.May God bless You all.
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by bolaoni(m): 11:10pm On Nov 16, 2007
@same,

Great gesture there. That is so wonderful of you. I hope a lot of people will take advantage of it wink

I have visited your blog and it is GREAT.

Let's keep contributing our quota to the development of our people. kiss

You can check these new posts out:

Four Interviewing Mistakes To Avoid

The Top 10 Tips for a Successful Job Interview

More Great tips are still coming on this thread. This will be the official job interviews thread.
Refer this thread to your friends because if everyone put into use all the great tips that have been shared here, then SUCCESS is definitely sure.

Keep on keeping on guys wink
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by Dmajesty(m): 8:58am On Nov 17, 2007
Every year, young, energetic, and vibrant graduates are being pumped out of NYSC in two batches. Many of them travel here and there in search of greener pasture in several multinational companies, private companies, banks etc. but only a few remain lucky after several attempt. Is it because the barber does not know how to barb or that the blade is not sharp? Thorough research has discovered that the fault is from applicants and not the employers. I have some free packages to help you secure your dream jobs in any part of Nigeria and offshore of Nigerian coast. Details, http://getthejobs.webs.io

Cheers, ONE NIGERIA FOREVER!
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by bolaoni(m): 11:06pm On Nov 17, 2007
Dmajesty:

I have some free packages to help you secure your dream jobs in any part of Nigeria and offshore of Nigerian coast.

I didn't see the free packages man. Can you specify where they are on your website?

May be you start a new thread for your package wink
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by bolaoni(m): 11:19pm On Nov 17, 2007
Another great job interview tips here:

Three Qualities To Captivate Interviewers

This is about a young guy that went to his uncle to get advice on how he can
the job he desired. This is an excerpt of the Uncle's advice to him:

If you do nothing else, his uncle said, concentrate of making these three points during your interviews:

* First, demonstrate an understanding of the company’s competitors and why the company should focus on its customers.

* Second, be ready to explain why employees need to work together to complete jobs and provide examples of when you’ve successfully worked in teams.

* Third, show when you’ve been creative at work, personally taken responsibility for and owned a problem and quickly completed tasks.

Job candidates in general can benefit from this advice. To succeed with interviewers, you must exhibit business behaviors that show you’re focused on the customer, can be an effective team player and will perform tasks and assignments efficiently and independently. The following tips can help you adopt these concepts and become more effective during job interviews.

1. Focus on customer value.

Employees who understand the dynamics affecting customers and the marketplace focus on important goals when doing their jobs. By never losing sight of the customer while showing that you know your company’s niche, your career will benefit and your organization will reap rewards.

2. Be an effective team player.

To impress hiring managers, use your network of contacts to learn about the importance of teamwork at prospective employers. To borrow from the film and Broadway play, “Six Degrees of Separation,” you’re never more than six people away from someone you want to contact. Try out this premise and you’ll learn that it’s true. Also think about when you’ve worked on a team to improve business results and be prepared to tell interviewers about the value you and your team provided.

3. Show you can work creatively and independently.

When interviewing potential employees, company managers assess their ability to take ownership of problems, think creatively and perform jobs quickly. Functional skills are important but in today’s market, “it’s creativity and speed that counts,” says Ms. Simmermacher.

During interviews, many employers also try to determine if candidates are creative and could solve problems independently. Tony Salvaggio, president of Computer Aid Inc., a business and technology consulting firm in Allentown, Pa., says the company knew that finding employees with these capabilities was critical when it was founded 16 years ago.

“We can provide all the training and coaching necessary, but it boils down to people understanding what they have to do and then doing it well,” he says.

To convey your creative abilities, focus on interesting accomplishments during your career and how they supported a company’s goals. Managers are more likely to hire candidates who are creative and get things done quickly than those who only discuss their functional skills.

This is just an excerpt of the key points in this article. Detailed post is at the link below:

http://www.careerboostingtips.com/three-qualities-to-captivate-interviewers/

Watch out for more important tips in days to come. Remember to print this articles and
STUDY THEM.

Love you

wink
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by bolaoni(m): 11:59am On Nov 19, 2007
I just posted this on my blog @ naijamotivation.com and decided to share
with you. I don't know what position you are in now, but this words will uplift
your soul and give you the courage to trudge on.

It is well wink

Don't Quit

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won if he'd stuck it out.
Don't give up, though the pace seems slow -
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man;
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor's cup,
And he learned too late, when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out -
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are -
It may be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit -
It's when things seem worst that you mustn't quit.

Author Unknown

Will be posting more great tips later.

Cheers wink
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by diyobdw(f): 1:32pm On Nov 19, 2007
wink well done
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by bolaoni(m): 4:38pm On Nov 19, 2007
Hey!

Madam, how you dey? long time no hear. Thought you have disappeared from Nairaland.

How dey go now?

Just to let you know, MindJuice is looking WONDERFUL!

I've told you before, you are a GEM.

Getting in touch with you soon and I promise, NO INTERVIEW! grin grin grin
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by bolaoni(m): 9:05am On Nov 20, 2007
Another great time for sharing wink

Learning to Read An Interviewer’s Mind

All jobs solve problems. That’s the secret to landing a new job. Identify the employer’s problem and show the hiring manager how you’ll solve it.

Most job seekers don’t follow this approach. They concentrate on their own skills, experiences and past job duties. They never really connect with the employer’s needs.

“So many of the resumes that I see offer just a traditional listing of past titles, employers and work duties,” says Sharon Willen, a career counselor at Growth Connections Inc., a career counseling and training firm in Huntington, N.Y. “That’s a job history. It really doesn’t speak to the next employer’s needs.”

Her advice? “Grab their interest by showcasing something from your background that really connects with what they do. Get [an] employer to think, “I want this person doing that at my company.” To follow this advice, you need to do some research to learn what the employer does.

Linda Commodore, director of career services at the Westbury, N.Y., campus of the Chubb Institute, a computer-training company known for its high graduate-placement rate, says, “For candidates entering a new job market, it’s vitally important to understand the employer’s needs.”

For career changers, Ms. Commodore adds another twist. “First, upgrade your technical skills. Then go back to the companies and industries that you already know. Sell yourself as an insider who can also deliver the cutting-edge skills that this employer needs right now.”

The Candidate as Consultant

Think of yourself as someone who goes into a company, and helps it meet its challenges. As a job seeker, consider yourself a business consultant. You work with employers to create the best ways to manage departments, prepare reports, design marketing campaigns or whatever it is that you do.

Find the employer’s problem. Why are they hiring in this position? Is there software that needs debugging? Staff that needs managing? Once you know what the employer wants, it’s easier to make them want you.

Consider the candidate who interviewed for a junior position involving scheduling and handling records and documents at a company that creates transportation links under New York’s Grand Central Station. In describing the job, the hiring manager complained about having three hundred employees but no way to control them. “What we really need,” he said, “is someone who can get all these people working together.”

The candidate was quickly able to demonstrate exactly how his background in managing large defense contracts made him the perfect candidate to organize this department. Now he’s the company’s new logistics manager — a different position than the one he originally interviewed for.

To identify what your next employer needs:

1. Read between the lines of the job posting. Isolate the skills, experiences and personality being sought. Then compose a problem statement for that job. For example, “This employer needs someone who can connect with mid-sized clients and cultivate new business for the product division of their multinational company.”

2. Research the employer. Study its web site and other internet or library resources. Or talk to current or former employees. Is it conservative or freewheeling? Did it just get a new contract?

3. Be observant and keep your eyes and ears open when you interact with recruiters and interviewers.

Being attentive paid off for a national tradeshow coordinator who decided to switch careers after her last employer reorganized. In an interview with a pharmaceutical company, she listened closely when a recruiter described an opening in product sales. “You need someone who can create a rapport with each customer,” she said when he finished. “Someone who can juggle multiple product lines and get results without supervision.”

“I’m doing the same thing right now — in my job search,” she said. Then she highlighted the same strengths in her own background. She got the job. Her secret? She listened to what the employer really wanted and was able to fill those needs.

Solving employers’ problems makes you an insider who speaks their language and understands their company. It’s as if you’re saying, “I know what goes on in your office every day. Here’s how I can help you.”

Apply this approach to other areas of your job search, including the jobs you target and your resume. Solving problems will turn your resume package into a business proposal because your skills will answer their needs. Your interview will become a consulting meeting as you sit with hiring managers and help them meet their challenges.

Source: http://www.careerboostingtips.com/learning-to-read-an-interviewers-mind/

Remeber to print out and study as usual wink
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by diyobdw(f): 9:23am On Nov 20, 2007
bolaoni:

Hey!

Madam, how you dey? long time no hear. Thought you have disappeared from Nairaland.

How dey go now?

Just to let you know, MindJuice is looking WONDERFUL!

I've told you before, you are a GEM.

Getting in touch with you soon and I promise, NO INTERVIEW! grin grin grin

AM back now! cheesy Thanks for the comment cool - hope you liked the free motivational ebook that came from Mind Juice?
- expecting ur buzz cheesy

@topic
wink
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by paulomivi: 11:04am On Nov 20, 2007
Please,big brothers,kindly help me with zenith bank test format.I have the test on the 21st November 2007,at 152 Ikorodu
Road,lagos.By 12 noon.
pls help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by bolaoni(m): 11:29am On Nov 20, 2007
diyobdw:

AM back now! cheesy Thanks for the comment cool - hope you liked the free motivational ebook that came from Mind Juice?
- expecting your buzz cheesy

@topic
wink

So you caught me subscribing abi? Well, that is great. I have read the book before
but won't mind reading it again. Powerful stuff.

Will definitely holla soon, we'll have to see anyhow

Keep up your great work. Naija is changing for good
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by diyobdw(f): 3:03pm On Nov 20, 2007
wink yeah i did!
I'm like glad you like the gift.
I guess u could, be must have found the abundant pot too-just kidding,i mean-[url]http://www.mindjuicezine.com/resources/#Free%20ebooks[/url]
Najia is growing and with pp like us around our kids got a better future grin
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by bolaoni(m): 10:30am On Nov 21, 2007
Great one from you Ma'am.

U got Chicken Soup? shocked shocked shocked

I have been looking for this for years! kiss kiss kiss

Back to the main topic wink

Well guys, I just added some gifts to the website.

Why?

I believe preparation is very vital in one's life. How do you get prepared? READING and STUDYING!

I am going to start another thread on reading good stuffs and how that has helped me
choose the path less traveled by all. I have made so many discoveries through reading
and that has helped me NEVER to seek for employment anywhere.

I will add more great interview tips later but rush to www.careerboostingtips.com to get the
gifts I have for you today. Your life will definitely not remain the same again. wink
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by bolaoni(m): 11:23am On Nov 21, 2007
The post on the importance of a book is here for all to read.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-95277.0.html

wink
Re: Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This by Frankies(m): 4:53pm On Nov 21, 2007
@ balaoni and swordsman

Those points are very valid but you forgot onething.

Anyone sitting infront of a panel should not think that the members of the panel are gods. They are human beings just like you. Infact they bathed that morning just like the way you did.

Just be relaxed and composed, you will be suprised the way intelligent answers will be entering your mind.

You will end up leaving them convinced that you are most suitable for the job.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! / Anheuser-busch Inbev Global Management Trainee Recruitment 2018 / Sterling Bank Invitation For Online Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.