Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,309 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? (12847 Views)

#5 Reasons Why You Should Use E-banking In Nigeria / GTBank's Internet Banking Services...totally OVER-HYPED! / Putting Sanusi's Islamic Banking In Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by ocheejemb: 6:56pm On May 08, 2012
luckgames:

Sorry, I have seeing token compromised
You manage risk, nothing is secured like you said
Problems are not from email address but download and attachment
All IT Professional, Security Professional and Auditors
Does is make it harder to discourage hackers

Please how was the token compromised?
Ive always wondered how that token thing works...my guess is that it generates a pseudo-random number for you every time based on somekey, and the IB host checks if the token you submitted could have been generated by that key?
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by luckgames(m): 7:03pm On May 08, 2012
oche_ejemb:

Please how was the token compromised?
Ive always wondered how that token thing works...my guess is that it generates a pseudo-random number for you every time based on somekey, and the IB host checks if the token you submitted could have been generated by that key?

Yes it does generate pseudo-random number
Dude trust me it got hack
I have close to 18 years in the area of IT, Security and Information auditor
I have used 4 tokens in the last 12 years
We had to get all People with token to return them for new once
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by danielng: 7:08pm On May 08, 2012
As part of the security measures....please don't quote the banks you use. These guy you are afraid of might have a means of searching for names that match accounts with banks data. Its a warning....the Internet is not as secure as we think. Beware of the type of information you pass.

You are only required to share your experience and advice.

Thank you all.
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by Jiokeh(m): 7:44pm On May 08, 2012
Internet banking in Nigeria and even anywhere in the world is safe as long as you observe the rules. I have been using GTBank mobile phone app since last year and it has all been uhuru. I also use the Internet bank service of Access bank and GTBank to do series of transactions and I have never had cause to regret it. To put your mind at rest on your Internet banking transactions, I'll suggest the use of tablets as they are not prone to attacks like the PC (most especially windows PCs). An iPad, Blackberry Playbook or a Mac is your best bet as they have near perfect anti hack architecture. However, as someone has rightly mentioned, your best security is you. Shine your eyez well well.
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by Nobody: 7:47pm On May 08, 2012
Please can anybody tell me how to activate GTB mobile banking, do I need to go to the bank?
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by Jiokeh(m): 8:49pm On May 08, 2012
t.adewara:
Please can anybody tell me how to activate GTB mobile banking, do I need to go to the bank?
No adewara, you don't need to go to GTBank. If you have downloaded their mobile application - the GTMobile java app, follow the instructions and make sure the mobile number you will enter during the setup is the number on you GTBank account details. Basically the number you receive your alerts on. After you have set it up, you can now add in your wallet your GTBank Naira debit card. It's a piece of cake actually.

1 Like

Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by purefella(m): 12:00am On May 09, 2012
oche_ejemb:

Sorry but doesnt that mean the Lady's bank details and all would be right there in his statement, making it very easy for her to be reported to the bank and the police? And also I dont think that such vital information would be cached, i have to input in my login details every single time on GTB's Ib site

Most people have their login details save as draft and the account the gal sent the money to was her own account because the bank provide picture of her when she withdrew the money through atm and sorry sir if you think if someone sent out your money you can trace him or her with the account that is a foul!!! You can open almost 10 intercontinental or first bank account with any identity and wrong details!!!! .fraudsters are always a step ahead
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by Damolux01(m): 8:40am On May 09, 2012
Could some1 pls explain how the GTB IB works?...as in do I still need to go to the bank to make deposit or does it affect withdrawal alone?
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by BNGDr(m): 9:50am On May 09, 2012
abhosts: If you are not an Internet Savvy person, here is a tip for you:

Open both a Savings Account and a Current Account with the same Bank.

Leave most of your Cash in your Current Account with no Internet Banking or ATM Facility.

Activate Internet Banking on Your Savings and only fund it with Cash just enough for your Online Transactions.

God Bless
Nice one. But I feel it should be the other way round. Activate internet banking on your current account so you can transact with other banks. It seems transactions on savings accounts are limited on internet banking.
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by souleymon(m): 10:12am On May 09, 2012
Internet banking in Nigeria is safe due to the provision of a token which is linked to ur account for online transaction.
I do internet banking on all my banks.1st bank is superb.
U can print ur statement of account online.
Access bank seems slow in loading
Gt bank does have login Problems
Ecobank regets password at times
Skye bank doesnt use token except passcode
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by chucky234(m): 11:51am On May 09, 2012
Been using GTB internet services for years and yet to experience any fraudulent activities on my account,I have been able to transfer funds successfully to US,Europe and Asia over the years.
I does all my transaction on a single BB phone and its safe for me since I does 99% of all my internet activities with phones. Never respond to any email alerts from your bank instead visit the nearest branch to confirm the alerts.
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by Nobody: 2:03pm On May 09, 2012
Jiokeh: No adewara, you don't need to go to GTBank. If you have downloaded their mobile application - the GTMobile java app, follow the instructions and make sure the mobile number you will enter during the setup is the number on you GTBank account details. Basically the number you receive your alerts on. After you have set it up, you can now add in your wallet your GTBank Naira debit card. It's a piece of cake actually.

Thanks
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by meetagape(m): 4:57pm On May 09, 2012
GUARANTEE TRUST BANK(GTB)
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by Seedorrf(m): 11:37pm On May 09, 2012
Instead of internent Banking.Another Option is Mobile Banking using ur Phone and u can make a lot of money being an agent to any of the mobile banking service providers(pocket Moni,Paga,Fortis,Eco mobile etc) call 08030778600 for details
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by mightlove(f): 9:30am On May 10, 2012
@poster:very safe except if you let out you logon details and security device.
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by lawbabs: 12:18pm On May 10, 2012
Internet banking is quite safe. Just be sure of your Bank's website. There are counterfeit websites that will allow u put ur details online. Once you put in you security details and click "GO" or "LOG IN", ur details have been captured and they can have access to your account information through the genuine site of the Bank.

So, yes internet banking is only safe if you take this precaution. Don't follow a link to your bank's website. Type in the website's URL on the address bar of ur internet explorer to be double sure that you are in the right website.

Meanwhile, I use Skye Bank and GTBank's internet banking. I love their multi-layers security checks and platforms. I am sure you will be glad to use them. You can try any of the Banks out.

Nice day.

J
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by hubreality(m): 11:15pm On Sep 01, 2012
The innovations of Internet banking in Nigeria is quite safe considering the 'token' device given by the local banks to customers. Many of Nigerian banks now offer the services, but GTBank and Zenith seem to be most effective.
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by newdawn09(m): 3:40am On Sep 02, 2012
I use GTB{one of d best banks} to pay online for importing laptops from China and i got my laptops in Ibadan without any complain. I even confirmed from my Chinese supplier if he got his money,he said yes. Just dont use public PC and guide jealously your log in pins.
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by Holuwayungmoney: 6:39pm On Mar 31, 2013
i need help on how to activate wema banks internet banking..pls
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by Desanta(m): 3:02pm On Apr 01, 2013
Holuwayungmoney: i need help on how to activate wema banks internet banking..pls

Go to you bank, fill a form, go home and wait for an email containing your access code/user name and your initial password which you must change to something more personal. You will be charged a one time fee for token.
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by ultrazone(m): 12:36pm On Feb 03, 2015
mmm
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by Desanta(m): 12:46pm On Feb 03, 2015
ultrazone:
I'm interested in GTBank online banking. Please do I need a token device for GTB internet banking service?

Yea you will need to get a token from your bank.
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by tiamiyukunle69(m): 11:55pm On Feb 03, 2015
ultrazone:
I'm interested in GTBank online banking. Please do I need a token device for GTB internet banking service?
of cos you need a token.
Re: How Safe Is Internet Banking In Nigeria And Which Bank(s) Will You Recommend? by betaessays: 4:38am On Sep 09, 2017

(1) (2) (Reply)

We Buy Itunes Card Any Amount No Story When It Cums To Payment / I buy-Itunes GiftCard, Amazon & other gift card in Exchange for cash or Bitcion / CAC Delists 44,000 Companies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.