Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church (12419 Views)

A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup / Which Food Do You Enjoying Cooking Most? / Noodle Lovers - Bad Way Of Cooking Noodles! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by SamMilla1(m): 10:12am On May 12, 2012
A few days back, i was browsing through my memory and recalled when i was a kid, my wom would cook Rice and Stew on Sunday mornings. Then lock the food in the kitchen and tell us to go to Church, that we will eat after the Church.
What a punishment.lol.
How on earth did she expect us to concentrate on the sermon when there a steaming flavoured stew locked up somewhere with the chicken head which belongs to me. Why not just give me that one alone and leave the rice until after Church.

How many of you out there had a similar experience?
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by ifyalways(f): 10:26am On May 12, 2012
Hehehe.Sam did you get the chicken legs too?We call it 'walking-talking'(chicken head and legs) and that is my portion/birthright for every fowl slaughtered in our house.

@Topic,i share same memories.Mom would give us some miserable tea and bread for church and reserve the rice and stew till after service.Wonder whythey do so?guess its one of the things that make sunday rice "special".lol

1 Like

Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by recruitmnt: 11:18am On May 12, 2012
^^^ lool. I miss being the child.
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by armyofone(m): 12:27pm On May 12, 2012
smiley funny childhood memories Sam Milla

got to a point nne stop cooking the rice until after church smiley
then change to cooking the stew on saturday night but no rice.
no food in the morning because i have to take holy communion and drink wine grin
i found myself remembering the nice stew during Mass grin

1 Like

Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by Nobody: 1:13pm On May 12, 2012
Sam Milla: A few days back, i was browsing through my memory and recalled when i was a kid, my wom would cook Rice and Stew on Sunday mornings. Then lock the food in the kitchen and tell us to go to Church, that we will eat after the Church.
What a punishment.lol.
How on earth did she expect us to concentrate on the sermon when there a steaming flavoured stew locked up somewhere with the chicken head which belongs to me. Why not just give me that one alone and leave the rice until after Church.

How many of you out there had a similar experience?

Choi!!!
What a golden memory...
At a time, i always got home even before d end of sErvice,
because of dat, my mom switched to cookin after church.. Before d food would be ready, it'd almost be like 6 or 7, more because she attended a pentecostal church dat always closed around 4.
I and my brothers would go to unilag lagoon to hunt for crabs, by d time we're back, food dun done! smiley

2 Likes

Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by redcliff: 1:14pm On May 12, 2012
grin lol. This topic reminded me of my childhood. Seriously I miss those times too. They'l cook the rice down and prepare the ingredient for banga soup. When u r coming back from church on ur way u'l be so happy cos u know when u get home its some rice tinz going down...
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by tellwisdom: 1:16pm On May 12, 2012
Whats this suppose to mean?
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 12, 2012
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 12, 2012
Sunday rice used to hold special attractions. I also got the fould head. These oyinbo chickens don't taste same and everyboady eats chicken everyday these days. They've spoilt the fun. Mum made the stew early morning and cooked the rice after church service.
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by Abeyjide: 1:23pm On May 12, 2012
All dis thread about religion tins need to be avoided on nairaland cos som people dosent knw how to contibute on issues like dat.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by jeddyMay(f): 1:25pm On May 12, 2012
Remember those days!! because am d last born, chicken legs r permanently mine. No food on sunday morning, she will say 'its good to fast 2church, so dat one can be ministered to'.i can neva forget d sound of my tommy evry sunday, all d worms in me will play world cup, champions league, premiership, FA..... Name it bfor we get home for food.
D irony is dat, uptil date, i find it hard 2eat bfor goin 2church because its now a normal tin 2me.

3 Likes

Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by jeddyMay(f): 1:28pm On May 12, 2012
tellwisdom: Whats this suppose to mean?
Its not necesary u know and apart from dat, na by force most u comment

1 Like

Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by MissyB3(f): 1:29pm On May 12, 2012
Lol! Ol' memories! grin
The rice is not to be touched untill after church . . .Take your breakfast and run along.
I could hardly concentrate on anything . . . All I wanted was for the service to be over as soon as possible. cheesy

BTW, can the food section have this topic.
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by gulfer: 1:36pm On May 12, 2012
Just don't be late to service.
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by peter2012: 1:38pm On May 12, 2012
oh my God. this reminds me of childhood memories. But in my own case, our mother sometimes allows us to take tea and bread while we will eat rice after church.
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by peter2012: 1:40pm On May 12, 2012
tellwisdom:

Ur flat breasttt like shoulder pad angry angry
hav you seen her pics before?
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by peter2012: 1:41pm On May 12, 2012
jeddyMay: Remember those days!! because am d last born, chicken legs r permanently mine. No food on sunday morning, she will say 'its good to fast 2church, so dat one can be ministered to'.i can neva forget d sound of my tommy evry sunday, all d worms in me will play world cup, champions league, premiership, FA..... Name it bfor we get home for food.
D irony is dat, uptil date, i find it hard 2eat bfor goin 2church because its now a normal tin 2me.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by Butoneday2(m): 1:46pm On May 12, 2012
@sam, hehehe, hold it dia, why tempting me na, why remembering me of my past or do u want me to go back to my childhood age. @ topic, my mom also does dat wounda why dey do so. Infact during dat time going to church again na wahala, just com up wit storey.
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by tellwisdom: 1:47pm On May 12, 2012
peter2012:
hav you seen her pics before?

Are u interested in seeing it too?
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by Nobody: 1:48pm On May 12, 2012
Lol. Seems many of us had similar family idiosyncracies during our childhoods. Boy, those were the halcyon days. Rice and stew was a magical, ultra-special dish - to be enjoyed only on Sundays, birthdays, house parties, Independence Day, Easter, and most especially Christmas!

@ Topic
On many occasions sef, my 'Thatcher' mum would terrorise us with the wonderful aroma of the chicken stew right from when we return from church until evening (if we were hoping to have rice and stew for lunch, forgerrrit, na yeye eba and soup). I recall the rice and stew was always served in time for 'Tales by Moonlight' (around 6.30pm); sometimes we enjoyed the privilege of a second serving, later in the night while watching 'Mega Fortunes' on NTA (8.05pm). Those were the late 80's/early 90's; a golden era I tell ya. Adulthood sucks (lol).

4 Likes

Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by ayobase(m): 1:51pm On May 12, 2012
musKeeto: Who put this on frontpage?

[img]http://3.bp..com/-aE5euS4CmvA/T5B7iihSTvI/AAAAAAAAA_U/31f1p3ESeQk/s320/dog-slapping-man.gif[/img]

grin

Now u r loooking for d
big brothers wahala!
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by baslone: 1:52pm On May 12, 2012
This front page don turn junk yard!!!
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by kelz88(f): 1:53pm On May 12, 2012
bright007: With an appreciable number of commentors remembering how mum use to starve dem of rice and stew b4 going to church,it is really pathetic.You all came from either poor homes or homes where those in charge of affairs ŵėřē mentally sick
If not,I don't see any reason for those actions back then or maybe u should go and ask dem ŵĥŷ they did that.
What a silly conclusion to come to. In my house we always went to an early mass and there was no time to eat before going, and my mom believed in fasting before receiving communion. Nothing to do with poverty or folks being mentally ill. Someone like me doesn't have appetite at that time of the day and church was only like 2 hours anyways. Not like I attended some long hours Pentecostal church.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by ayobase(m): 1:54pm On May 12, 2012
bright007: With an appreciable number of commentors remembering how mum use to starve dem of rice and stew b4 going to church,it is really pathetic.You all came from either poor homes or homes where those in charge of affairs ŵėřē mentally sick
If not,I don't see any reason for those actions back then or maybe u should go and ask dem ŵĥŷ they did that.

Where did u grow up wet blanket.....

gist us!
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by Stallion84(m): 1:55pm On May 12, 2012
FRONT PAGE? What impression wld u give to first visitors?
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by ayobase(m): 1:56pm On May 12, 2012

Where did u grow up wet blanket.....

gist us!
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by Scetchmaster(m): 1:59pm On May 12, 2012
:D2morrow is another day can't avoid to miss bread and fried egg.Thank God :D2morrow is another day can't avoid to miss bread and fried egg.Thank God
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by dayokanu(m): 2:16pm On May 12, 2012
My own Sundays usually start with bread and tea plus two tablets of combatrin (Sunday-Sunday)
Re: Cooking Before Church And Eating After Church by Maxymilliano(m): 2:16pm On May 12, 2012
Unfortunately, some of us never had such luxuries. Having Rice and Chicken stew or Bread and fried egg on Sundays was a luxury way back then. I go to Church on empty stomach without any thought of what menu will await me at home after the service.

Glad that i can afford the most expensive menu for supper now

19 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Awesome Cakes By Sazzy's Place Lagos / Do You Normally Cry When You Slice The Onion (pic) / My Boyfriend Avoids My Cooking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.