Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,106 members, 7,811,110 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:53 PM

Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng (7866 Views)

Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? / How A Guy Was Fired By One Of The Biggest Oil Companies In Nigeria / She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by lurkee(f): 5:00pm On May 14, 2012
I guess it was not just about the woman, she was only the straw that broke the camel's back.

Good luck with your health.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Eziachi: 5:02pm On May 14, 2012
norrisman: What a plonker you are! What the woman did in no way warrants firing her let alone terminating the contract of the cleaning company. The woman asked a valid question as water and human waste are not disposed off in the same manner. Did you expect her to taste the liquid to find out what it is. I am not absolving the woman of blame but you have exhibited the same aggressive and rude Nigerian charateristics shown by the woman.

In any reputable organisation, the woman should have received at most a final written warning and put on retraining instead you abrubtly end a contract thereby punishing at least 5 people for the 'crime' of 1.

I hope you take a long look at yourself while you are sat there in your wheelchair.

Again, you are a complete tosser
I don't know what a tosser means, hopefully I don't qualified to be or not to be. I will expect her to be kind to a seek person who is half asleep and could have even come back later. Whatever that is on the floor is irrelevant, as I don't see her asking her own sick father/husband the same thing, same way. If its urine,its not toxic, neither do you install toxic waste inside a private hospital ward. If she knew whom I am might have acted differently, so its all about manners. Treat people, how you expect to be treated, irrespective of who they are.
I don't go to Nigeria often now, but I see your sentiment among any Nigerian elite class, who will never take responsibility for anything and next election, they vote their tormentors with a higher mandate.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by acidtalk: 5:14pm On May 14, 2012
Ah! Nigerians Una Over Sabi too much. Wetin?

The poster didn't seek for your advice, he only shared his experience and said you all shoul share yours. What's all the advice and condenmnation? I too know.

@Op, I have fired severally and all for the same reason as yours. Bad manners like to drag my business down.

Once a staff brings their personal frustration through the door of the work place, throw them out through the window as fast as you can, before they make you out of business (like the cleaning company).

No business man is concerned with "one bad egg amongst other good ones". If one single of your staff treats him badly, he will run your company down instantly.

That patient could have sued your company for maltreatment who knows?

I don't regret and can never regret firing poorly perfoming staff.

That why I believe and act one one thing - don't Hire who you Can't Fire.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Eziachi: 5:36pm On May 14, 2012
moderattor:
you over did it, accept it.
To be wicked, you dont have to break the rule, just enforce it to the letter when there is a kinder alternative.
Like I said, sacking people from their job is a horrible thing to do but sometime it will save you thousands and other job. I had bee updated that the family of the old guy was called and told what happened and apologised to them. And it was such a relief when they said, they will take no further (but you cannot say never).

Business in the U.K is not a kids business especially in the private healthcare. We can lose our license over this and words does go round too. The patient I understood now, is Scottish just like my wife, a former member of house of lords and he is 78, whose family are paying for the treatment.
Can you imagine if the media gets a wind of it, what the headline will be? Financially it will be the end of my family. Someone was saying if I knew what it takes to be a cleaners, yes I do. I arrived the U.K as a refugee and those days no income supports its today. My parents lost everything after the war. Manners and wickedness is not about what you do for a living.
Nigeria has no culture quality standard, that is I understood now why Ibori made it in Nigeria as governor for 8 good years.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by norrisman: 5:51pm On May 14, 2012
Why are you making it seem you run an NHS hospital. What you have is an old peoples home! The lady was rude...big deal. u really think that will end up on the pages of the Evening Standard? you must be deluded.

You sacked four people because of 1 rude staff and you feel it is justified. You sir, are a lunatic!

What you did is no different from a bank sacking 5 marketers becuase 1 of the five failed to meet his/her monthly target and thus the team failed to meet the combined team target.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by iykay4455(m): 5:52pm On May 14, 2012
norrisman: Why are you making it seem you run an NHS hospital. What you have is an old peoples home! The lady was rude...big deal. u really think that will end up on the pages of the Evening Standard? you must be deluded.

You sacked four people because of 1 rude staff and you feel it is justified. You sir, are a lunatic!

What you did is no different from a bank sacking 5 marketers becuase 1 of the five failed to meet his/her monthly target and thus the team failed to meet the combined team target.

Isn't that a little bit harsh?
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Sagamite(m): 6:00pm On May 14, 2012
Eziachi: In the last one year, my health has taken a big hit and practically on a chair now, hoping it will be temporary. Despite many orthopaedic surgeries, I had to go into knife again last Wednesday to have my root valves fixed and my very much dilleting aorta needs changed. It was a success according to my surgeon, who also is my partner in the practice.
This morning I was doing a brief walk with the physiotherapy as I hold her hand for support on the corridor and that was when I overheard a conversation between the hospital cleaner (a lady) and an inpatient frail on guy who just had a hip replacement as I later learnt.
This what I heard:
Cleaner (With an aggressive booming voice: What was that on the floor?
Patient (Probably half asleep: Am sorry, beg your pardon?
Cleaner: I said what was that on the floor, your urine or water?
Patient (confused, stammering) I don't real know, my pants seems dry, am terribly sorry!
Cleaner: Can you sit over there,I want to move the bed, mind your foot (with chewing gum in her mouth)

I could not believe what I had just witnessed and both myself and the physio lady, who knew who I was, was looking at each other in amazement. I gently knock on the door and went in. I ask the cleaner, if there is any particular substance on the floor that she doesn't clean? To be harassing/embarrassing a frail old man at 7.30 in the morning?
She looked at me in my pyjamas and said, what has it got to do with me busy body? Mind your business (It was then I that I knew she must be a Nigerian with the busybody lingo thing)
The old patient sat there confused but relieved, doesn't know whom I am and neither was the cleaner as she carried on. I went back to my room and then told the physio not to discuss what just happened with anyone and I was straight on the phone with my son and the third partner and told them what happened, that I want that lady fired in the next 10 mins and I was annoyed when they told me that they don't know her as a person and our HR might do because we use agency cleaners, Now losing my cool, I demanded that the cleaning company she belonged to be fired and let them start the process hiring, training our own in-house cleaners, whom you knew who they are and where they live.

Eventually against two young partners who thinks they knew better, I got my way. The cleaning company's contract has now been terminated with immediate effect without any legal bust up. For now the staff had to be temporary cleaners, until we get at least 4 in house cleaners. This business was my brain child, which I had sacrificed a lot in the last ten years and won't have anybody mess it up. Now over to you.

Well done!

Some Nigerians don't deserve employment!

1 Like

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by norrisman: 6:05pm On May 14, 2012
iykay4455:

Isn't that a little bit harsh?

I live in the UK and know what it is like working for morons like this guy. His partner and son/daughter are more reasonable human beings and you can see from their reaction to the situation but he insisted on having his way.

If the lady brought physical harm upon the patient, I will understand the meaures he took but that lady is just a product of her formative enviroment (Nigeri). Dont you see how angry people are in Nigeria? add that to the sadness of working as a cleaner in a cold foreign land. The woman was wrong being rude to a customer and unless she was a repeat offender, did not deserve to be sacked let alone the cleaning company's contract terminated.

I digress but I remember a frustrated market woman in Oshodi giving me adirty slap just because I was walking on the sidewalk meant for human beings and mistakenly knocked down one of her Okin biscuits. I could have kept on walking but I stopped and picked up the biscuit, cleaned it on my jeans and said, sorry madam. As I put the biscuit back on her table, she landed a heavy slap on my face. I was shocked! I was going to go all physical on her until, a conductor who had seen the whole event ensue, said to me 'the mana, file ko ma lon tie, Oshodi la wa' meaning ' buddy, forget about waht just happened, Oshodi is a dangerous place'. I walked away with tears in my eyes but on reflection, I concluded the woman was only a product of her enviroment.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Nobody: 6:27pm On May 14, 2012
^^^ If you would read his post, He DID try to get the stoopid woman singled out.
But apparently this was a hard thing, even though it really shouldn't be, even if she's from the agency.

So,fueled by, I would say a moderately filling cup of observing her coworkers not caring for the job as much either, it was a logical business decision to move on to another agency that makes more stringent requirements on it's staff. There is always competition.

We all have scopes of reasoning according to our size and where we are in life.
You attack the man because you do not understand his scope of being and reasoning since you have not gotten there yet. (mo' money mo' problems grin )
If I am to relate his scope to the size of most of you, it would be similar to you switching your phone service provider if you are not getting the right amount of service from them and they always cut your calls and their customer service is always rude. Think of it this way and better understand the situation.

1 Like

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Sagamite(m): 6:29pm On May 14, 2012
norrisman:

I live in the UK and know what it is like working for morons like this guy. His partner and son/daughter are more reasonable human beings and you can see from their reaction to the situation but he insisted on having his way.

If the lady brought physical harm upon the patient, I will understand the meaures he took but that lady is just a product of her formative enviroment (Nigeri). Dont you see how angry people are in Nigeria? add that to the sadness of working as a cleaner in a cold foreign land. The woman was wrong being rude to a customer and unless she was a repeat offender, did not deserve to be sacked let alone the cleaning company's contract terminated.

I digress but I remember a frustrated market woman in Oshodi giving me adirty slap just because I was walking on the sidewalk meant for human beings and mistakenly knocked down one of her Okin biscuits. I could have kept on walking but I stopped and picked up the biscuit, cleaned it on my jeans and said, sorry madam. As I put the biscuit back on her table, she landed a heavy slap on my face. I was shocked! I was going to go all physical on her until, a conductor who had seen the whole event ensue, said to me 'the mana, file ko ma lon tie, Oshodi la wa' meaning ' buddy, forget about waht just happened, Oshodi is a dangerous place'. I walked away with tears in my eyes but on reflection, I concluded the woman was only a product of her enviroment.

So his business should suffer because of a woman being a NASTY product of her environment?

Really?

If the woman can not function in the UK, maybe she needs to go back to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by violent(m): 6:31pm On May 14, 2012
norrisman: Why are you making it seem you run an NHS hospital. What you have is an old peoples home! The lady was rude...big deal. u really think that will end up on the pages of the Evening Standard? you must be deluded.

You are CRAZY!

Is it your money? Is it your business? Are the workers working for free? You are MAD!!!!

The lady was rude, big deal? Yes, fucccking BIG DEAL! You don't insult your clients, it dosen't even take someone with less than a half wits to know that!...will it appear on the pages of evening standard? who fuccccking cares mo[i]r[/i]on!!!

Life isn't fair, get on with it or hang yourself in your fucccking closet! If the lady's employers valued their jobs they wouldn't have recruited a sad loud mouthed scumbag who insults seniors....she got fired and those who recruited her too....and who the fuccck are you sir to dictate what right someone has, to do what he wishes with his business?

1 Like

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Afam4eva(m): 6:32pm On May 14, 2012
Sagamite:

So his business should suffer because of a woman being a NASTY product of her environment?

Really?

If the woman can not function in the UK, maybe she needs to go back to Nigeria
Gbam. She thinks the UK is like Nigeria where she can misbehave and get away with it.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 14, 2012
Sagamite:

Really?

If the woman can not function in the UK, maybe she needs to go back to Nigeria.

cool cool
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Sagamite(m): 6:38pm On May 14, 2012
violent:

You are CRAZY!

Is it your money? Is it your business? Are the workers working for free? You are MAD!!!!

The lady was rude, big deal? Yes, fucccking BIG DEAL! You don't insult your clients, it dosen't even take someone with less than a half wits to know that!...will it appear on the pages of evening standard? who fuccccking cares mo[i]r[/i]on!!!

Life isn't fair, get on with it or hang yourself in your fucccking closet! If the lady's employers valued their jobs they wouldn't have recruited a sad loud mouthed scumbag who insults seniors....she got fired and those who recruited her too....and who the fuccck are you sir to dictate what right someone has to do what he wishes with his business?

He wants the OP to tolerate the typical of black businesses' poor customer services that is rampant in the UK. And to them it is normal and acceptable.

Let him be working for me and dare insult or be rude to my customers and see how I will put fire up his arse.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by violent(m): 6:42pm On May 14, 2012
norrisman:

Who gives a shyt if you lived in a hell hole? How would you like it if some blonde at a cafe called you a silverback gorrilla? I'd bet you'd be foaming through the mouth and threatening legal action!

Dumbass, the fact that someone's from Nigeria should not mean they could get away with being irresponsible!

1 Like

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by violent(m): 6:44pm On May 14, 2012
Sagamite:

He wants the OP to tolerate the typical of black businesses' poor customer services that is rampant in the UK. And to them it is normal and acceptable.

Let him be working for me and dare insult or be rude to my customers and see how I will put fire up his arse.

LOL!!! grin grin
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Smilenw(f): 6:46pm On May 14, 2012
This reminds me- about a decade back, I had to attend a meeting @ short notice. I needed some hard copies filed away in another wing and didn't have the time to go and get it myself. Called up a subordinate who was in that wing and asked him (who should have been older than me) if it was possible to bring it over. He said he was busy. What went against him was he forgot to put the phone back properly and blurted out loud enough for me to hear 'that small girl wants a man to be at her beck and call? in her dreams'. I managed to sit through the meeting and then walked up to his reporting manager, who incidentally reported to me, and asked for an explanation. He seemed to support the guy. They obviously had a problem with a woman as their senior, and that too someone younger to them. I took a deep breath and informed them that they were not required in my department. They expected it and seemed ok with it. These guys had the nerve to walk upto me n say 'wait till you get back home ' Nothing happened. Do I feel guilty? Not till this minute ! These kind of people need to pay for their arrogance...
What you did was the right thing though I would have suggested sacking just the cleaner and issuing a warning to the company. The rest of their staff and the owner of that firm didn't have to pay for one person's un professionalism. Let's hope the man will be careful with the kind of people he employs hereafter.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by sholasys: 6:56pm On May 14, 2012
Eziachi: Just woke up to look at your posts. As an elderly man, who is a father, grandfather, husband e.t.c I did reflect on the impact on everyone involved before terminating the contract. We were fortunate that we had it inserted in the contract that disrespect to our customers will result in tearing the contracts without any advance warning. Cleaning business is one of those business very easy to start in England and make loads of money without doing much to your customers and staff.
One thing I had learned from my father was never to allow sentiment to over crowd your sense of business decision or you are finished. He did sack my mum's brother once and they did not speak to each for weeks, until my mum realised that my dad did value his reputable employees more than her lousy brother who does nothing but boss people about.

I made my mind up when I realised that we are paying this company 25 pounds sterling per hour/per cleaner (including VAT) to supply us six cleaners per week and from my understanding, they will pay their workers just above the minimum wage and all the time what I saw this people does is chat among themselves without doing much.

Now I believe four in-house cleaners will do far better job and get paid better with free healthcare for them and three nominated other members of their families residence in the U.K and plus a 21 days full paid holiday entitlement like their suit wearing co-workers.

Your response is very matured and your plans for the new cleaners are fantastic. It annihilate my sentiment and shows your are a good manager.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by norrisman: 6:58pm On May 14, 2012
Illiterate Nigerians and big man syndrome. If its my staff, I will sack her blah blah blah! In the UK, they have employment tribunals. They have ACAS. Workers are workers and are not slaves. They have rights! The dementia suffering OP will be doing himself a big diservice hiring inhouse cleaners if his modus operandi is summary termination. He is better of sticking with cleaning companies usinf contractors as they dont have a lot of the employment rights enjoyed by permanent workers.

Which one of you perfect people has never made a mistake at work before. For all you know, the lady in question could be one of the nicest people in the world and the 'oga' omly saw her on her worst day.

The downfall of a man/woman is not the end of his/her life. The OP may have actually done the woman a favour. I love my manager who sacked me from my first 'proper' job in the UK. The guy changed the course of my life completely and O will forever be grateful yo him. Thanks Steve!
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Sagamite(m): 6:58pm On May 14, 2012
violent:

LOL!!! grin grin

I remember a time years ago that I was itching for Naija food and took a British-born Naija girlfriend to Mama Calabar in Hendon to get take away. If you see the way the woman that was serving us was giving her the bad eye when the girlfriend was ordering what she wanted? I could not figure out what the problem was apart from say the babe get British accent, fine pass am by far or because na say she no get man.

I was just shocked but decided to piss her off a big more with her miserable face by constantly kissing the girlfriend and joking how much I fancy her.

I don't know how you would be working for a restaurant and carry a face like if you are at the funeral of your child. Virtually all staff of Nigerian restaurants have this face and the owners tolerate it. Rubbish!
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by sholasys: 7:00pm On May 14, 2012
violent:

What rubbish are you spewing? So you understand that contracts can be terminated abruptly given that the reason for doing so is well stipulated....and something does not click in your head that bad service could be enough reason?

The cleaner company has a responsibility to ensure that all their staff are well trained to deliver the highest standards and quality of their service, anything short of this is their responsibility as well. The cleaner company is being paid to deliver an agreed service...and if you are not satisfied with the quality of service being delivered, you are well within you right to severe relationships with them!!!...compensation? what stooopid compensation?

How many people has he rendered jobless? who gives a shyt? undecided If in the unlikely case that healthcare regulators have happened to pay an unscheduled check on the clinic and they were privy to the conversation, who do you suppose would be at risk losing their license?

home training is good, if you lack it, one can be Synonyms as their name
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Nobody: 7:05pm On May 14, 2012
Smilenw: This reminds me- about a decade back, I had to attend a meeting on a short notice @ work. I needed some hard copies filed away in another wing and didn't have the time to go and get it myself. Called up a subordinate who was in that wing and asked him (who should have been older than me) if it was possible to bring it over. He said he was busy. What went against him was he forgot to put the phone back properly and blurted out loud enough for me to hear 'that small girl wants a man to be at her beck and call? in her dreams'. I managed to sit through the meeting and then walked up to his reporting manager, who incidentally reported to me, and asked for an explanation. He seemed to support the guy. They obviously had a problem with a woman as their senior, and that too someone younger to them. I took a deep breath and informed them that they were not required in my department. They expected it and seemed ok with it. These guys had the nerve to walk upto me n say 'wait till you get back home ' Nothing happened. Do I feel guilty? Not till this minute ! These kind of people need to pay for their arrogance...
What you did was the right thing though I would have suggested sacking just the cleaner and issuing a warning to the company. The rest of their staff and the owner of that firm didn't have to pay for one person's un professionalism. Let's hope the man will be careful with the kind of people employs hereafter.

Arrogance is typical of the average Nigerian person.
Can you imagine requesting someone else IN THE OFFICE refer to them as "uncle/aunty x" or some other stupid thing just because they happen to be older than the person.
They tend to lack humility and love the feeling of subjugating others and abhore when given the same treatment.

As to the action of the OP, He did say it was well noticed that pretty much all the employee cleaners acted in some regard with lackadaisical attitudes towards their work...if not neccessarily yelling at the elderly. so I guess he also just needed a change of Air.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by violent(m): 7:13pm On May 14, 2012
Sagamite:

I remember a time years ago that I was itching for Naija food and took a British-born Naija girlfriend to Mama Calabar in Hendon to get take away. If you see the way the woman that was serving us was giving her the bad eye when the girlfriend was ordering what she wanted? I could not figure out what the problem was apart from say the babe get British accent, fine pass am by far or because na say she no get man.

I was just shocked but decided to piss her off a big more with her miserable face by constantly kissing the girlfriend and joking how much I fancy her.

I don't know how you would be working for a restaurant and carry a face like if you are at the funeral of your child. Virtually all staff of Nigerian restaurants have this face and the owners tolerate it. Rubbish!

Your experience is quite hilarious though. I think i'd probably have walked away. Kissing the girl in her presence just adds to her headache!

Unfortunately, I have also been a victim of such hollow and irritable service at Nigerian restaurants on countless occasions. Just last weekend i was out with a couple of friends to eat at a place called Odua 77...You wouldn't believe that after waiting for more than 45 minutes shocked for the food, this chic came out with a totally different order...and guess what? she wasn't apologetic....afterall amala and poundo are one and the same!....i did give her a piece of my mind though!

sholasys:
home training is good, if you lack it, one can be Synonyms as their name

You are an iddiot! read your initial response to the post again and tell me if you had demonstrated initiatives of a person with proper home training!
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Sagamite(m): 7:26pm On May 14, 2012
violent:

Your experience is quite hilarious though. I think i'd probably have walked away. Kissing the girl in her presence just adds to her headache!

Unfortunately, I have also been a victim of such hollow and irritable service at Nigerian restaurants on countless occasions. Just last weekend i was out with a couple of friends to eat at a place called Odua 77...You wouldn't believe that after waiting for more than 45 minutes shocked for the food, this chic came out with a totally different order...and guess what? she wasn't apologetic....afterall amala and poundo are one and the same!....i did give her a piece of my mind though!

Customer service Naija styleee! grin
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by tanimola22: 7:27pm On May 14, 2012
2buff:

Arrogance is typical of the average Nigerian person.
Can you imagine requesting someone else IN THE OFFICE refer to them as "uncle/aunty x" or some other stupid thing just because they happen to be older than the person.
They tend to lack humility and love the feeling of subjugating others and abhore when given the same treatment.

As to the action of the OP, He did say it was well noticed that pretty much all the employee cleaners acted in some regard with lackadaisical attitudes towards their work...if not neccessarily yelling at the elderly. so I guess he also just needed a change of Air.

Lol, are you serious?
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Nobody: 7:31pm On May 14, 2012
tanimola22:

Lol, are you serious?

Yes na! Or you don't know your people?
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by tanimola22: 7:49pm On May 14, 2012
2buff:

Yes na! Or you don't know your people?

Haha. This is extremely serious O. Uncle ke, hahaha.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by otokx(m): 7:57pm On May 14, 2012
we have had to lay off 2 staff at the cybercafe due to general lull in business, they tried to make the management feel bad especially the supervisor who recommended the 2 but truth be told it was for the best though the supervisor felt a little pain in the heart initially.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Nobody: 8:04pm On May 14, 2012
this norrisman fellow seems to be only suited to selling okin in oshodi , not working in a structured business environment

what nonsense, justifying unprofessional behavior and outright misconduct

i had a similar experience a few years back, with a contractor who tried to pull a fast one on me

i told the guy as long as i am in my coy, he would never work there . i can't work with people who will get me in trouble.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Eziachi: 8:34pm On May 14, 2012
Update: The cleaning company sent us a registered hand delivered mail before the end of work this evening to apologise and in their own language, they said that they perfectly understood our corporate responsibilities to our clients and hope to do business in the nearest future and we wrote them back wish them well in the course of their future businesses.

Someone in his/her post said that I should have sack the cleaner. Unfortunately we can't sack her because she is not our direct employee. That I knew today because, though a senior partner in the business, I don't run the business day to day.

I don't even decide how much I am personally paid annually, Most staff, like my PA knew some of this basic facts more than I do.
Example, last year I wanted to treat myself to a new car and my PA laughed at me and told me to forget it as I haven't got the cash, unless I will do it through the corporate car lease, which I declined.
But I thought I could afford it at the time without checking.
Some of you younger ones may knew your company more than your bosses.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by chydian: 8:41pm On May 14, 2012
Given the circumstance, the OP's actions were right. In Nigeria we are sentimental about our businesses and this creates a web of inefficiency. We lose sight of the fact that customers are necessary for the survival of any business. I do recall an incident at work when a tenant of a luxury property in Ikoyi reported that cleaners (outsourced) slept in the gym room during working hours. When my boss heard about it - an apology was sent to the tenant and the cleaning company was dismissed. They were advised to retrain their staff and several months later were reconsidered. The way I see it, the actions of the poster saved the firm its reputation, improved customers’ patronage and kept the jobs of serious minded employees. The calibre of certain clients (as a result of their influence) can make or mar a business. Dismissing the cleaning company was the least damage the firm could endure.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

516 Police Personnel, Others Participate In Fitness Exercise In Enugu / Prospect Of CIMA (Chartered Institute Of Management Accounting) Holders In NG? / Did You Eventually Fulfill Your Future Ambition?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.