Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,055 members, 7,810,946 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng (7865 Views)

Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? / How A Guy Was Fired By One Of The Biggest Oil Companies In Nigeria / She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Nobody: 8:42pm On May 14, 2012
Eziachi: Update: The cleaning company sent us a registered hand delivered mail before the of work this evening to apologise and in their own language, that they perfectly understood our corporate responsibilities to our clients ad hope to do business in the nearest future and we wrote them back and wish them well in the course of their future businesses.

Some one said that I should have sack the cleaner, we can't sack her because she is not our direct employee. That I knew today because, though a senior partner, I don't run the business day to day.
I don't even decide how much I am paid, Most staff, like my PR knew this more than me. Example, like last year I wanted to treat myself with a new car and she laughed at me and told me to forget it as I haven't got the cash unless I will do it through the corporate car lease, which I declined. But I thought I could afford it at the time without checking.
Some of you younger ones may knew your company more than your bosses.

Don't sweat it. Your action made sense.

1 Like

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by bigx(m): 9:13pm On May 14, 2012
Relieved... It actually gives this surge of Power grin
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by dROC1: 9:26pm On May 14, 2012
Should have spared the cleaning company
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Loveaflame(m): 10:04pm On May 14, 2012
You did well in sackin that cleaner.Frankly speaking you did not do well in sacking the agency except on the ground that the agency refused to sack that ill mannered cleaner.I have sacked many times on grounds of attitudinal menace and laziness.I don't feel bad because I can't allow anybody come destroy what I have laboured to build.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Nobody: 10:52pm On May 14, 2012
I have got four people sacked this year alone. I have written petitions that sparked three separate investigations with potential to get two or three guys fired. Don't ever tolerate bad service or mischievous mistake.

OP, you have done the right thing.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Nobody: 11:43pm On May 14, 2012
One lazy secretary wrote this (names redacted):

Prof.abc,

There were two students that complained to me regarding abcd and Bayooooooo. They were not in CLC at there scheduled time. They signed in on the check- in sheet but was not in the CLC. It is 2:29 pm now and Bayooooooo should be in the CLC from 1:55-2:45. (He is not there) The student said they were in the CLC over an hour, and neither abcd (12:50-1:40) nor Bayooooooo showed up in that time block. The students needed help with their schemes.

Best,
xyz

She did not copy me. The Professor, my research advisor, forwarded same mail to me with additional "why?" on top. I wrote the Boss with copious examples of students that I taught same day and asked some of the students to mail the Prof.

Then, I sent the following to the lady (I copied my advisor):

Dear xyz,

Top of the day.

Consequent upon your email to Prof. abc, I received an email, an euphemism for a query, from Prof abc yesterday to explain my purported absence from CLC between 1:55pm -2:45pm. That was not a well deserved query as I was there attending to students at the time you wrote your mail.

Besides, you did not make any effort to ascertain whether I was there or not before sending an email with a tone that effectively portrayed me as someone who is dishonest who just showed up to sign on attendance sheet and then disappeared without doing the work.

I write to protest in strongest terms your unfair commentary on my attitude to work which has always been with due diligence. To be sincere, I am not happy about it. Could you please explain why you did not verify before sending such an email?

Regards,
Bayooooooo

She did not respond to my mail. First reminder, no response. Second reminder, no response. I picked my golden pen again and wrote a follow up to Human Resources Manager and copied Dean of Arts and Sciences. I wrote another one for the chinese guy, just for him to append his signature.

I organise another petition complaining about her many useless mails with sole aim of tarnishing the image of international students. I collected twenty three (23) signatures and submitted same to Dean's office.

The woman was queried. She wrote more than 50 emails begging me to withdraw my petition, promising heaven and earth. I did not dignify any of her emails with response. Then, she threatened to deal with me. She was stupid enough to send SMS. I forwarded same to the disciplinary committee hearing her case and reported same to the Police.

Bottomline, the lady was fired.

1 Like

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Nobody: 12:07am On May 15, 2012
If I go to Walmart, Sweetbay, whatever to buy my usual stuff and a staff attended to me well, I would write a letter, hard copy, to his/her boss expressing appreciation and with a commendatory note to the staff for a job well done.

If the service is poor, I have a template already, all I need do is put his or her name there, quoting the day, date and time and forward same to his or her boss. All you need to get someone sacked is to have three of such convincing mails from different customers.

1 Like

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by olaadegoke(m): 12:39am On May 15, 2012
bayooooooo: If I go to Walmart, Sweetbay, whatever to buy my usual stuff and a staff attended to me well, I would write a letter, hard copy, to his/her boss expressing appreciation and with a commendatory note to the staff for a job well done.

If the service is poor, I have a template already, all I need do is put his or her name there, quoting the day, date and time and forward same to his or her boss. All you need to get someone sacked is to have three of such convincing mails from different customers.

Got me rolling grin grin
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Nobody: 1:21am On May 15, 2012
Sagamite:

I remember a time years ago that I was itching for Naija food and took a British-born Naija girlfriend to Mama Calabar in Hendon to get take away. If you see the way the woman that was serving us was giving her the bad eye when the girlfriend was ordering what she wanted? I could not figure out what the problem was apart from say the babe get British accent, fine pass am by far or because na say she no get man.

I was just shocked but decided to piss her off a big more with her miserable face by constantly kissing the girlfriend and joking how much I fancy her.

I don't know how you would be working for a restaurant and carry a face like if you are at the funeral of your child. Virtually all staff of Nigerian restaurants have this face and the owners tolerate it. Rubbish!

LOL you're too spiteful!! grin
But serves the lady right tho. smh.

lol@ red...reminds me of that waitress in the Nollywood movie "senseless". grin grin
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Nobody: 1:25am On May 15, 2012
bayooooooo: If I go to Walmart, Sweetbay, whatever to buy my usual stuff and a staff attended to me well, I would write a letter, hard copy, to his/her boss expressing appreciation and with a commendatory note to the staff for a job well done.

wow...lmao. this is serious! grin
smh.

1 Like

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Beaf: 1:39am On May 15, 2012
sholasys: Na wa ooo!!!, This is unprofessional at all. How did you engaged the business with the cleaner company? Was there any service level agreement (SLA)or contractual documents ? Contracts are usually base on timeline and terminating it abruptly must be stipulated and reason for doing so. Do you run an organised HR ? or One man business-like. How long has the cleaner company be working with you clinic ? do they have any service quality issue before. Will you pay them compensation ?. power tend to corrupt, and Absolute power corrupt absolutely. Madam may God for give you. If i am the MD of the company will institute case against you. HABA!!! How many pple have you render jobless bc of one sily girl. Pls reinstate them back else ........

Else you go do wetin?
The company that hired such a slowpoke (to borrow from Seuns censor cheesy) is 100% responsible for her quality of service. As we have learnt, the person she harrassed was both frail, old and ill. It will be a lesson to them never to send brain-damaged people to tend to the health of the vulnerable.

You never even know if her behaviour could have led to a patients death. What are jobs compared to life? The patients have families and might be bread winners. There is no time for jokes in health environments.

What do you think a death or harrassment suit would have brought the OP, his staff and that of the cleaning company?
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by olumdefire: 2:08am On May 15, 2012
my dad story was similar, but it was doctor vs patient. i will say this if not new in nigeria healthcare system if doctors can do it cleaner can as well do better
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Nobody: 5:43am On May 15, 2012
Beaf:

Else you go do wetin?
The company that hired such a slowpoke (to borrow from Seuns censor cheesy) is 100% responsible for her quality of service. As we have learnt, the person she harrassed was both frail, old and ill. It will be a lesson to them never to send brain-damaged people to tend to the health of the vulnerable.

You never even know if her behaviour could have led to a patients death. What are jobs compared to life? The patients have families and might be bread winners. There is no time for jokes in health environments.

What do you think a death or harrassment suit would have brought the OP, his staff and that of the cleaning company?

Well said. It will serve as a warning to other lazy workers.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Sagamite(m): 8:33am On May 15, 2012
MsDarkSkin:
LOL you're too spiteful!! grin
But serves the lady right tho. smh.

lol@ red...reminds me of that waitress in the Nollywood movie "senseless". grin grin

Spite and revenge are orgazmic for me. cheesy

bayooooooo: One lazy secretary wrote this (names redacted):

She did not copy me. The Professor, my research advisor, forwarded same mail to me with additional "why?" on top. I wrote the Boss with copious examples of students that I taught same day and asked some of the students to mail the Prof.

She did not respond to my mail. First reminder, no response. Second reminder, no response. I picked my golden pen again and wrote a follow up to Human Resources Manager and copied Dean of Arts and Sciences. I wrote another one for the chinese guy, just for him to append his signature.

I organise another petition complaining about her many useless mails with sole aim of tarnishing the image of international students. I collected twenty three (23) signatures and submitted same to Dean's office.

The woman was queried. She wrote more than 50 emails begging me to withdraw my petition, promising heaven and earth. I did not dignify any of her emails with response. Then, she threatened to deal with me. She was stupid enough to send SMS. I forwarded same to the disciplinary committee hearing her case and reported same to the Police.

Fcking well done!
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 15, 2012
I've fired one before. She was not friendly to clients, sleeps in the office and yawns when a client comes in, she doesn't smile except the day I interviewed her which was one of the reasons I employed her. I tried to change her but never, she'd never change. I felt great after the sack.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by josite: 3:46pm On May 15, 2012
to be candid.you overreacted by sacking the company.all you ought to have done is to report the erring cleaner and demand she be redepolyed away from your clinic permanently and further insist only well trained staff be depolyed to your company.as u said it depends on the terms of the contract,it may be the offence of a staff entitles you to terminate by contract.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by viewlekan: 9:42pm On May 15, 2012
josite: to be candid.you overreacted by sacking the company.all you ought to have done is to report the erring cleaner and demand she be redepolyed away from your clinic permanently and further insist only well trained staff be depolyed to your company.as u said it depends on the terms of the contract,it may be the offence of a staff entitles you to terminate by contract.

Sacked the company?? Or you meant he terminated a binding contract that was violated by the actions of one the company's employees. You suggested that they asked for the "redeployment" of this worker to another organisation, same worker that incidentally displayed an intolerable behaviour? So that her incompetence can be replicated elsewhere?? Surely,you must be having a laugh!

Fairplay to the OP and it will be an opportunity for the company to revise their hiring model- to only employ workers that are suitable for the role they are employed for and share the company's Missions and goals if they have one. In todays world, the quality of service is paramount and customers have an array of choices; to keep them such behavior is untenable. I would tear up the contract too because I have customers to satisy.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Nobody: 10:33pm On May 15, 2012
^^ Only people who have never had to make a business decision in their life don't get this.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by jpphilips(m): 11:58pm On May 15, 2012
Ibime: Eziachi,

First of all, my sincere prayers for your return to full health. You are one of my cherished elders on NL.

Second of all,

It is very necessary to sack underperforming staff. . . however. . .

You shoulda got the cleaning company to redeploy the lady and put them on final warning before withdrawing the contract. The owner of the cleaning company is a business man just like you and the actions of this lady cost the company fixed income even though they had little jurisdiction over the ladies actions. If contracts were torn up everytime an employee misbehaves, nobody would have any contracts in UK. You have to raise complaints with the company and they will deal with the lady themselves. If they continue sending substandard staff, then you hammer them.

exactly my thoughts, and i thought in that light because it happened outside Nigeria, if it were in Nigeria where Nepotism rules, then terminating the contract is the right play.

on a second thought, does one really need to warn a serious minded company not to hire "charge and bail" staff? what if the action of the cleaner on the patient cost the owner his operating license, will the contracting company be liable?

either way, i think you did the right thing
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by jpphilips(m): 12:09am On May 16, 2012
bayooooooo: One lazy secretary wrote this (names redacted):

this is a clear case of a system devoid of Nepotism, if it was Nigeria and the lady in question is either fockin the prof or highly recommended, nobody will read your rejoinder.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Memoirs Of A Job Hunter / 516 Police Personnel, Others Participate In Fitness Exercise In Enugu / Prospect Of CIMA (Chartered Institute Of Management Accounting) Holders In NG?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.