Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:06 AM

Comparing DSTV And HiTV - TV/Movies (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Comparing DSTV And HiTV (37442 Views)

Poll: I will rather subscribe to:

DSTV: 71% (118 votes)
HiTV: 28% (46 votes)
This poll has ended

Did CTL/Trend TV Just Win The Lawsuit Against NCC And HiTV? / 42 Fee Channels:-say Bye Bye To Monthly Subscription On Dstv,ctl,cmtv And Hitv. / Hitv Gives Out 100,000 Free Decoders To Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by vowiski(m): 8:45am On Aug 29, 2008
just as expected.
normal news.
anything new?
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by urfriend(m): 1:29pm On Aug 29, 2008
hi gboyesh ,send your complain via the hitv site www.hitv.com.ng.go to contact constomer care.it will be worked on faster there.thank u
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by gboyesh(m): 4:06pm On Aug 29, 2008
urfriend
Thanks will do, but oops sorry , i did it again (Brittney wannabe!!) hav/had already sent you another msg in the "hitv or hi rubbish" thread.
Disregard !!!!
My Bad!!! embarassed embarassed
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Fadajasi(m): 10:10pm On Sep 03, 2008
Oops!
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2008
na who dey compare dstv wit hitv sef, de person no dey fear oh, DSTV anytime anywhere wink cheers
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by kwachazz: 3:19am On Oct 23, 2008
Reading this thread i feel very sorry for urfriend and HiTV.
HiTV has had its five minutes of fame when it won the EPL rights and reduced subscription fees to 4k (Congrats for that) but beyond that i personally have been disappointed with hitv in every other aspect.
It is true that DAARSAT has spent a lot of money on new technology and infrastructure, but who said they will not spend even more money on content?
Perhaps HiTV’s lack of spending in the technical department is responsible for the poor picture quality, bad subscriber management system and limited capacity to add more channels?
As far as DAARSAT and content is concerned what i see is that there is not so much to buy right now and i am sure they have bought up a lot of what is available. Spanish league will not be sold till next year as will the premiership so what do you want them to buy so you will know they are serious about content?
I believe that the technology of any broadcaster is the foundation of its business. Yes content is king but with poor technical infrastructure it is like building a house on quicksand, you will implode and sink as HiTV is presently learning.
I spoke with a senior manager at DAARSAT last weekend and this is the latest jist from DAARSAT:
1. DAARSAT is still busy perfecting their technical delivery, customer service and getting more channels! Commercial launch is due on or before November 7th. Learning from HiTV’s mistakes they don’t want to come out to the market without ironing out issues they can handle before getting to the market.

2. They now have in excess of 50 channels positioning to be appealing to all members of the family, they literally have something for everyone from your grandmother that can't speak english to your kids wanting to become the next Jay Jay with a dedicated soccer school channel. They have also acquired some of the latest series titles released in the US on NBC network this month.

3. There are no live premiership games on the platform for now, but you can expect to see the Brazilian league, German league, French League, Turkish League, a number of top international matches including Brazil, Argentina, Portugal etc

4. You will see at least 6 premiership matches delayed the day after they are played, it is true that it is not the same as live, but it is the next best thing for now.

5. They have now also agreed to show the MGM Channel, which Hollywood film lovers will recognise for all the Oscars the MGM studios have produced

6. This one i know say Naija go vex and e never dey confirmed but i hear say them wan stop to dey show Nigeria International matches live for free to air television, say AIT na only delayed them go show from now on!!! Na only Daarsat subscribers go watch Nigeria Live from now O!!!!!!!!

7. The USP of DAARSAT partnership with Visafone is not aimed at offering subscribers internet access although this is a side benefit, it is aimed at creating a DAARSAT subscriber community which can make free calls amongst themselves all day, all night, all year for as long as they remain DAARSAT Subscribers.

I hope this information is helpful and gives a little insight into what Daarsat is offering!!!

OK the last channel list i am aware of is as follows:

AIT MOVIESTAR (MOVIE/DRAMA – A dedicated Naija movie channel making waves in the UK)
DAAR STARXPRESS (MOVIE/DRAMA – A series channel with the latest and hottest telenovelas, American series, Hollywood and Bollywood movies etc)
SAHARA ONE (MOVIE/DRAMA – An Indian movie channel)
SAHARA FILMY (MOVIE/DRAMA – An Indian movie channel)
B4U MOVIES (MOVIE/DRAMA – An Indian movie channel)
FOX CRIME (MOVIE/DRAMA – Top Crime and Investigation content from the Fox Network in USA)

FOX ENTERTAINMENT (MOVIE/DRAMA – Top entertainment series and movies from the Fox Stable in the USA)

LUX TV (LIFESTYLE – If you no get money and you get bad belle no just look this channel cause the efizee 2much)

ART CHANNEL (LIFESTYLE – the art of film making, music composition and inspiration for artists, musicians, designers, architects and the creatively inclined)

GAMZAKI CHANNEL (LIFESTYLE – Housa channel)
FAAJI TELEVISION (LIFESTYLE – Yoruba channel)
AIT (GENERAL INTEREST)
NTA (GENERAL INTEREST)
CHANNELS (GENERAL INTEREST)
MBI INTERNATIONAL (GENERAL INTEREST)
GATEWAY TV (GENERAL INTEREST)
NICKOLODEON (KIDS/TEEN – kids channel)
FOX BABY TV (KIDS/TEEN – Highest rating baby channel from children under 4years in the world)
KIDSCO (KIDS/TEEN – kids channel)
FUEL (KIDS/TEEN –top skateboarding, bicycling stunts etc)
EURONEWS (NEWS –European perspective)
BBC WORLD (NEWS – British perspective)
AL-JAZEERA (NEWS – Arab perspective)
FOX NEWS (NEWS –American perspective)
AIT NEWS (NEWS – African perspective)

AIT PARLIAMENTARY (NEWS – Live Senate, House of Reps and State Assembly sessions – government transparency and power to the people channel)

AFRICA BUSINESS CHANNEL (FINANCIAL NEWS – Nigerian and African business and industry news update)

CNBC AFRICA (FINANCIAL NEWS – African business and industry news update)

AIT SPORTS (SPORTS – live german, French, brazilian and Turkish league football, club tv channels including Everton TV, Portsmouth TV, Inter Milan TV, Juventus TV, Roma TV and top international football including matches of Nigeria, Brazil, Argentina, Portugal etc)

AIT SPORTS 2 (SPORTS – all other sports including NBA)
FOX SPORTS (SPORTS – American sports, Bolton TV,)
SETANTA AFRICA (SPORTS – Boxing, Arsenal TV, Tottenham TV, tennis etc)
EUROSPORTNEWS (SPORTS – sports news)
QUEST TV (FASHION – Nigerian fashion TV)
FASHION TV (FASHION – International fashion TV)
B4U MUSIC (MUSIC – Music channel)
SOUND CITY (MUSIC – 24 hour Soundcity channel)
PRIMETIME AFRICA (MUSIC – 24 hour rebranded and new kennis music tv channel)
MTV BASE (MUSIC)
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MUSIC (MUSIC)
MCM TOP (MUSIC)
MCM POP (MUSIC)
C-MUSIC (MUSIC)
SCITECH TV (DOCUMENTARY – Science documentaries)
DISCOVERY WORLD (DOCUMENTARY – General documentaries)
DISCOVERY TRAVEL & LIVING (DOCUMENTARY – travel, culture and lifestyle programming)
LOVE WORLD (RELIGIOUS – God dey o!)
DOVE MEDIA (RELIGIOUS – In God we trust!!)
VATICAN TV (RELIGIOUS – Roman Catholic)
ISLAMIC CHANNEL (TBA) (RELIGIOUS – Islam education and enlightment programming)

I also understand there is now

MGM Channel (Movies – Dedicated channel to the best films from the Hollywood MGM movies studios)
Soccer Academy TV (Sport – A source of inspiration and a skills course for children wanting to learn to play like their soccer heros)

PS. the www.daarsat.com website is a temporary website which will give anyone all the information they need about daarsat, to register as subscribers, dealers etc. DAARSAT say they are launching their state of the art website early next year.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by urfriend(m): 4:33pm On Oct 23, 2008
hi it's daarsat you should be worring for,because you are the one that has spent all that large amount and if you can't match that in terms of getting more top class contents then you and daar are in big big trouble.it's one thing to spent money is another to last over 10years,etc.daar should just watch it,
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by opuro(m): 5:12pm On Oct 23, 2008
ol boy go and solve you hi rubish wahala and leave daasat alone
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by sartorius(m): 7:11pm On Oct 24, 2008
new channel on hitv
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Dclique(m): 7:30pm On Oct 24, 2008
We are stil waiting for kidsco and d rest o!
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Dclique(m): 7:32pm On Oct 24, 2008
There iz no new channel yet,we stil dey wait.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by darznets(m): 4:41pm On Oct 29, 2008
Urfriend or whatever you call ourself, i think you guys at HITV needs to bury your head in shame. I was one of the few Nigerians that was over excited and expectant when the news of dislodging the monopoly of DSTV came up, i even went ahead to defend you guys in my office against the fears of my colleagu that HITV will set standards.

I waited patiently to subcribe to you hype of "proudly Nigerian" thing. It was only God that saved me that i didnt fell in for you EPL right and others.

I strongly believe HITV did not do its home work well. Urfriend, you always want us to believe that its only you people in HITV that knows what PayTV is all about. Many of us had lived in western world where PayTV is the other of the day, so please stop selling us that "crap".

PayTV is not rocket science my friend,
- why do u have to wait till you roll out before thinking of "superfast" activation software?
- why do u have to wait till now to start thinking of effective & efficient customer service?
- you want to spend the next two years searching for new channels to add to your bouquet while the subcribers continue to pay?

I am a witness to the launch of GTV in Ghana, which started about the same time as HITV. They have almost all they needed to provide efficient service ready, no wonder many Ghanians are dropping their DSTV for GTV.

You did not do your home work properly, HITV erronously believe that majority of Nigerians subscribe to Paytv solely because of football.

HITV is a big shame!!!
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by coolguyz(m): 7:46pm On Oct 29, 2008
guyz,, i think we need remove sentiments. i'm a subscriber to HITV and cant say i'v bn satisfied but wen u knw wats involved in copyrights law then u may understand the slow pace of them listing new channels.
if only we knw the enslavemnt DSTV has done over nigeria wt the buying of exclusive ryts of some stations and programmes.
Now that frm next season, they wld also hv lost the champions league ryts to HITV, lets see if there wnt be a further drop in subscription base. Pple dnt buy payTv for football alone, yes but the programmes u may want are currently under license wt others. u cant expect DSTV to allow CNN run on HITV as it allows CTL to show cos it doesnt see it as a real contender. lets just face facts, without supporting HITV, i bliv they hv at least done smthing to shake DSTV well, ask DSTV staffers and they'l tell u as days pass, they brainstorm over the encroachmnt of HITV to dia mkt. HITV need deliver more and not get carried away wt the current subscriber base they enjoy as evidence of us being satisfied wt their service

Now to daarsat, i like wats happnd, nt just cos i'm nigerian but cos of wat dey'v promised us and bliv dey'l deliver and eagerly wait dem to roll out soonest so we can put them on their toes as well to get premium services at good price. my only worry is dt it shldnt be a matter of 40 stations sha, shld be quality stations. i'm sure lots of us out there are waiting to hook up on it and those of us wt 2 payTVs, i can bet i knw the one they'l drop first, its DSTV!

i dnt hate DSTV but those guys there are just ******* no wonder 80% of their staff are corps members and are rip-offs. that monopoly need be broken!
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by vowiski(m): 6:21am On Dec 12, 2008
http://www.trendtv.tv/, abeg wetin be that.
for close to 2 years, that site has been like that.
has daar started operation?
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by idiat(f): 2:06pm On Dec 12, 2008
u can now chat with HITV customer service reps through their website www.ehlnigeria.com, i tried it and my activation issue was resolved.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by kaycee212(m): 2:50pm On Feb 05, 2009
Dear friends

I am kayode by name,I am an installer, if you are having any problem with your HITV,DSTV OR MYTV and if you want to install any kind. you can call me on this number 07030094580

thank u
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by kaycee212(m): 3:40pm On Feb 05, 2009
ayusman16, where are u from, an sure u are not a Nig cos if you are a Nig than you have to be proud if you country. how can we open our eye and let south African take all our money. for your infor HITV is just 2yr now and DSTV as been in system over 15 yr or more.

Pls let see what HITV as 4 us.

thank u
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by kaycee212(m): 3:52pm On Feb 05, 2009
saintkola, am sure u dont have any one at home
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Mustay(m): 2:18pm On Feb 06, 2009
kaycee212:

ayusman16, where are u from, an sure u are not a Nig cos if you are a Nig than you have to be proud if you country. how can we open our eye and let south African take all our money. for your infor HITV is just 2yr now and DSTV as been in system over 15 yr or more.

Pls let see what HITV as 4 us.

thank u

Bet you never read the whole of this thread before posting or you didn't see this: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-106379.1536.html

This forum is opinionated.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by saintkola(m): 1:24am On Feb 07, 2009
screw u kaycee. i gat hitv @ home & dstv in my hostel ok.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by OYIBN: 10:08am On Mar 02, 2009
Not everybody is interested in Football. Hi Tv should try and increase their content. I can't subscibe to them because they don't have CNN And Al Jazeera channels. They should also do more in the area of Documentary channels. What will happen to them if they are outbidded on all the football channels they have - EPL, UEFA CHAMPIONSHIP, ETC. It is a shame though because DSTV is a rip-off and really need stiff competitors. I wonder how Daar Sat fits nto the equation.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Nobody: 9:57am On Aug 29, 2009
Pls i need help. I bought a hitv decoder plus an eurostar dish. The installer keyed in free to air channels which comprised mostly of religious channels. Now every thing is gone. I can't view not even a single channel as all are scrambled. Please how can i get hitv channels and other free to air.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by kosovo(m): 8:06am On Sep 20, 2009
polls shows defining numbers!
     [size=20pt] DSTV = CLEAR WINNER![/size]
thanks grin
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Ak4all(m): 3:32pm On Sep 20, 2009
I agree with the first poster
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by OYIBN: 5:47pm On Sep 20, 2009
Like Kwachazz writes, HiTv has had their 5 mins of fame. I however don't agree with darznets that writes that HiTv did not do their homework well. They did. However any company that thinks it can build a business model on opportunism is bound to fail. On other Nairaland threads I have consistently faulted Hitv's business plan which is built on football. They tried to cash in on DSTV's greed which ensured Nigerians who are football lovers could not watch matches because Dstv placed the channel in its premium bouquet which was beyond reach financially for an average football fan. HiTv had nothing else to offer other than football. The question now arises: what happens when the football season is over? What happens to people that are not football lovers. HiTv offered its bouquet at N4,000 and abuses rained on DSTV. Now subscribers have to cough out N6,000, for what? I asked myself, why can't I find an extra N3,000 and subscibe to DSTV Premium with so many channels including football. For how long will HiTv continue to survive on Football? DSTV has woken from its slumber and are offering so many channels on its Compact bouquet for N4,500 if you are not a football freak. It is only time before DSTV sends HiTv into the scrap book of history. Very simple - just outbid them in the next round of bidding for EPL and it is bye-bye HiTv. For how long will their subscibers be willing to pay N6,000 to watch football? Even the commercial operators are complaining - HiTv is asking them to pay N20,000 per month. HiTv came to hoodwink Nigerians into believing they can offer football cheaply - is N6,000 per month subscription cheap?
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by TheMaster: 9:44pm On Sep 20, 2009
If HiTV did not come in you would have been paying N12k or more for DSTV. Remember how they used to increase subscription regularlyCompetition is always good and you have to encourage it. DSTV did not get this good within 2 years. Let's continue to positively criticize HiTV and hopefully they will improve. When you come into an existing market, you have to carve a niche for yourself and grow from there. It is normal. You can't fight on all fronts from day one, Their strategy may be to profitably serve football lovers for a start and grow from there. HiTV has secured champions league which keeps them for another 3 years even if they lose EPL next year while they continue to strategise. Nigeria is a big market, there will be enough room for many players, if you have something to offer. In any case, I prefer a Nigerian company to make the profit, if you know what I mean. For clarity, I don't work for HiTV. Am simply interested in their success!
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by azeezbaba(m): 11:28pm On Sep 22, 2009
Majority of HITV subscribers subscribe to HITV becos of premiership and Champions League and nothing more. Although, 6K per month is too much to watch premiership nd Champions League in a month but i can bet it with you that Nigerians are so crazy about Premiership that they wont mind paying 6k/month to watch it on HITV.

My subscription has expired now and am thinking of where to get another 6K to subscribe. Chei, HITV no go kill person oooo
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 23, 2009
azeezbaba:

Nigerians are so crazy about Premiership that they wont mind paying 6k/month to watch it on HITV.

No!, SOME Nigerians you should rather say and NOT all Nigerians are ready to pull out 6k/month to watch just football content (not that they can't afford it, it just that they can't justified such amount on that type of shallow content platform).

It makes more economic sense for me to add just 3k/month and watch premium content and the 20% football Dstv has on offer.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by zenus(m): 4:51pm On Sep 24, 2009
I prefer DSTV 2.5K to HiTV, cos dstv is more entertaining than HITV, but if u give me money to purchase or subscribe, i think i can run to FTA
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by wanitas(f): 1:42pm On Sep 28, 2009
Sorry, ?HItv, it's not all about football, DSTVs content is way beta
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by kosovo(m): 5:45am On Oct 21, 2009
has anyone tried accessing trendtv/ctl website?
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by senga: 10:10am On Nov 23, 2009
The Master
Congratulations to Hitv, $150 million over three years, not cheap (last time $28 million); plus 107 million Euros for the Champions league (about $155 million over two years).

If my maths are correct minimum outgoing for these two alone per year is over $125 million (approximately 22.875 Billion Naira), now with say 600,000 subscribers which is believed to be the saturation of football viewers in Nigeria. This would mean that 3177 Naira on each subscriber per month would go towards paying only for the football.

From my contacts Hitv is paying fees to other channels on a max of 150,000 per month, if that is the case 12,708 Naira per month per Subscriber will be going to pay for the football alone.

What I am saying is what chance do subscribers stand on getting a reduction on their fees? - none. In fact I guarantee now they have the monopoly on the EPL watch the football packages go up, they must. The 12K you say that the subscribers would be paying for DSTV will come to Hitv, its simple maths.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

BBNaija "Munch It Mania": Mercy And Ike, Team Merike Wins ₦2million And A Dinner / BBNaija: Khafi Replaces Gedoni With A Teddy Bear (Photo) / Gruesome Zombie Scenes By Special Effects Artist. Viewers Discretion Adviced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.