Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,612 members, 7,820,178 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

Comparing DSTV And HiTV - TV/Movies (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Comparing DSTV And HiTV (37536 Views)

Poll: I will rather subscribe to:

DSTV: 71% (118 votes)
HiTV: 28% (46 votes)
This poll has ended

Did CTL/Trend TV Just Win The Lawsuit Against NCC And HiTV? / 42 Fee Channels:-say Bye Bye To Monthly Subscription On Dstv,ctl,cmtv And Hitv. / Hitv Gives Out 100,000 Free Decoders To Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by kosovo(m): 7:22am On Dec 11, 2009
Hi TV how has 100% premiership exclusive rights.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by kosovo(m): 7:16pm On Dec 18, 2009
meant "now"
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by jesugbenro(f): 10:36pm On Dec 18, 2009
HI Guys,
I like to switch to hitv, can I still use dstv dish for hitv?
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by donaremu(m): 6:15pm On Dec 19, 2009
jesugbenro:

HI Guys,
I like to switch to hitv, can I still use dstv dish for hitv?
@Jesugbenro, you can use your Dstv Dish for HiTV, you only need to get a new decoder preferably STRONG decoder.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by kosovo(m): 9:55pm On Dec 19, 2009
Never knew it was that easy cheesy
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by swezenberg(m): 11:07am On Jan 17, 2010
As for me, I will try and get their decoders. All I watch on TV these days is EPL Champion's League, and all other soccer tournament. The moment HITv loses their right. I'll stop suscribing and go after any other that is serious about my taste. I think it all bothers on taste and quality.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by younggurl(f): 2:37pm On Jan 18, 2010
dstv, oga na master
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by RSA(m): 3:52pm On Jan 18, 2010
I will be happy if HiTV could operate in South Africa,DSTV need competion in SA bigtime.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Akosa67: 11:04am On Jun 12, 2010
DSTV
You are just playing with the Nigerian viewers.
I am quite sure that the Nigerian market for you whatever is larger than what you have out there in SA but you treat us with some measure of Levity.
I believe Goodluck will soon catch up with your pranks and give us something better.
To reactivate ones subscription is taking forever because your lines are inaccessible. The message to a number for auto reactivation just returned with "Sorry we are unable to process REAUTH request at this time. Please try again later or call, ".
This is just , unacceptable.
I sent e-mails to no avail.
Do something. shocked cool shocked
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by DisGuy: 10:08pm On Jun 12, 2010
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by atise: 1:51pm On Jun 13, 2010
please, I want to know if any of the channels (sports or Nigerian) on HiTv is currently showing the 2010 word cup?
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by folem: 9:53am On Jun 15, 2010
Akosa67:

DSTV
You are just playing with the Nigerian viewers.
I am quite sure that the Nigerian market for you whatever is larger than what you have out there in SA but you treat us with some measure of Levity.

DSTV only has 400,000 subsribers in Nigeria. SA figures are over 2.5 Million
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by soloqy: 9:56pm On Jun 15, 2010
folem:

DSTV only has 400,000 subsribers in Nigeria. SA figures are over 2.5 Million

If you believe that, you will believe anything. Figures are much much higher than that. They know why they throw out such low figures.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by philade: 8:13am On Jun 16, 2010
The number is the average paid subscription over a period. The number of ownership my be more than that but most people pay for the device and stop paying after expiration. From accounting point of view, relying on that figure may throw you off balance and may be poor for resource planning and other management decisions.
DSTV is making the entry level of the product acquisition attractive recently with promotions, but they need to reduce the subscription for higher customer retention.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Akosa67: 10:02am On Jun 16, 2010
[i]The number is the average paid subscription over a period. The number of ownership my be more than that but most people pay for the device and stop paying after expiration. From accounting point of view, relying on that figure may throw you off balance and may be poor for resource planning and other management decisions.
DSTV is making the entry level of the product acquisition attractive recently with promotions, but they need to reduce the subscription for higher customer retention.
[/i]

Interesting as this may seem, I/we refuse to buy this response as it bears no provable or acceptably verifiable fact. Bottom line is that Nigeria is just large and without control for such shortchanging.
Thanks all the same for ensuring that the world cup sports channels can only be viewed by Nigerians upon paying a whooping N9,500.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Nobody: 11:49am On Jun 16, 2010
If you believe that, you will believe anything. Figures are much much higher than that. They know why they throw out such low figures.

Where have u been on this forum?

The number is the average paid subscription over a period. The number of ownership my be more than that but most people pay for the device and stop paying after expiration. From accounting point of view, relying on that figure may throw you off balance and may be poor for resource planning and other management decisions.

That bolded part of your submission is key to ensure the success of their business model, but really the cost associated with service provision is a constraint.

I believe that to reduce prices now, a critical mass of subscriber threshold (active) will be required. That is a way to mantain a balance between quality and pricing
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by philade: 12:59pm On Jun 16, 2010
ilugunboy (m)

Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV

I agree with you and will love DSTV to do something about their pricing/service, but as long as the only competition we have is in the likes of HiTV FSTV Daarsat etc, they will always have a field day with the subscribers. If HiTV have most of the local stations as part of their package (this should cost next to nothing), the allure of people re-subscribing/obtaining DSTV during the world cup period will reduce as most local stations are showing the matches. I do not know who is in charge of their business strategy and tactics, but they should understand that most paying subscribers are men, and what triggers subscription is a live sport program. Music and movie channels may be incentive, but they do not trigger recurrent subscriptions.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by DisGuy: 3:08pm On Jun 16, 2010
Nigerian were so happy when HiTv with the help of nweke jnr wrestled the premiership off DSTV saying everyone will dump them now there is a local competenet competitor, now they want lower price for dstv??

the proof is in the pudding wink
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by soloqy: 10:25pm On Jun 16, 2010
ilugunboy:

Where have u been on this forum?

How you dey Ilugunboy? After I dumped hitv for DSTV, there was no attraction anymore for me on the hitv thread.
Yes the 9, 500 is quite steep so immediately after the world cup, i will downgrade to the 4,500. There is just too many things to watch on the premium bouquet and one cant get to watch all that. I mean, there are some channels that I have not watched for up to 10mins on the premium bouquet for four months now.

I think I will also get the  Chinese guys' package (Startimes) so whenever i dont feel like subscribng to DSTV i will just watch that. Their content is better than HITV's premium bouquet without the Premiership.

Guys,permit me to digress a little. Ilugunboy, I just read a thread where you talked about your inverter. I want to get an inverter but am not sure if the .8 kva will be okay for me for back up time of at least 7hrs on load of an LCD tv, laptop, two fans and two energy saving bulbs. Or do I wait and save the money for 1.4 kva with two batteries?
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Akosa67: 7:51am On Jun 21, 2010
I just read a thread where you talked about your inverter. I want to get an inverter but am not sure if the .8 kva will be okay for me for back up time of at least 7hrs on load of an LCD tv, laptop, two fans and two energy saving bulbs. Or do I wait and save the money for 1.4 kva with two batteries?

[i][/i]
Please I am interested in tthe Inverter hence would need info on the product.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Nobody: 10:41am On Jun 21, 2010
How you dey Ilugunboy? After I dumped hitv for DSTV, there was no attraction anymore for me on the hitv thread.
Yes the 9, 500 is quite steep so immediately after the world cup, i will downgrade to the 4,500. There is just too many things to watch on the premium bouquet and one cant get to watch all that. I mean, there are some channels that I have not watched for up to 10mins on the premium bouquet for four months now.

You have just really said my intention after the W/C.

I
think I will also get the Chinese guys' package (Startimes) so whenever i dont feel like subscribng to DSTV i will just watch that. Their content is better than HITV's premium bouquet without the Premiership.

What is this all about?. fill me in please. wink

Guys,permit me to digress a little. Ilugunboy, I just read a thread where you talked about your inverter. I want to get an inverter but am not sure if the .8 kva will be okay for me for back up time of at least 7hrs on load of an LCD tv, laptop, two fans and two energy saving bulbs. Or do I wait and save the money for 1.4 kva with two batteries?

The Luminous type an using presently can serve your purpose in the short run, but i will rather suggest you go for the 1.4kva. That should be in the region of 175-180k
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by soloqy: 10:45pm On Jun 22, 2010
@Ilugunboy , startimes is a new one that offers all that Hitv offers in their premium bouquet and much more at 1k per month. They promise that they would be adding many more channels. The only probs is that they only have setanta africa as the sports offering for now. There is no installation. Just buy the decoder and card and you can even watch it in your car on the way to the office(chai, see as i dey market for this people).

You can read more about them here : https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-425459.192.html and https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-436700.0.html .

As for the inverter, yeah i thought as much and so am saving for the 1.4kva with two batteries. I will get it at about 160k from the company am talking with.
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Nobody: 2:23am On Aug 08, 2010
dstv stil remains d best, hitv has onli few bowin channels, d onli fin dey giid in its sport, nd btw hu can tel me how 2 update my post on nairaland iym realli knew here, thnx alot
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by Wbong: 7:57am On Aug 12, 2010
dstv is better
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by joanana(f): 2:11pm On Aug 18, 2010
DSTV anyday anytime with or withouy EPL rits DSTV rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by joanana(f): 2:14pm On Aug 18, 2010
DSTV anyday anytime with or withouy EPL rits DSTV rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by urfriend(m): 2:17pm On Aug 18, 2010
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 1ST LEG PLAY-OFF

FK Partizan (SRB) - RSC Anderlecht (BEL) 7:45pm Hi Sports 2 LIVE

SC Braga (POR) - Sevilla FC (ESP) 7:45pm Hi Sports LIVE

SV Werder Bremen (GER) - UC Sampdoria (ITA) 7:45pm Hi Soccer LIVE

FC Salzburg v Hapoel Tel‐Aviv 10pm Hi Soccer delayed

FC Basel 1893 v FC Sheriff 10pm Hi Sports delayed

for more details pls visit http://www.hitv.com.ng/league_fixtures.php
Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by urfriend(m): 2:22pm On Aug 18, 2010
HiTV's new price structure :-

PREMIUM BOUQUET NOW 3,500 NAIRA,WHILE CORRECT BOUQUET NOW 1,900 NAIRA

Re: Comparing DSTV And HiTV by soloqy: 6:40pm On Aug 18, 2010
Urfriend,

Long time no read.

Please advise your people to merge the two bouquets into one till they are ready for it and get the subscription down to N2,500. Honestly, thats about the correct pricing for it(IMHO). Dstv family is 2,500 but do you know that you can watch Live french league on DSTV Family? Every saturday and sunday evening from about 7.30pm there is live french league match on TV5. Do you know that there is live Italian League on DSTV Family? Every match day of Italian league, switch to RAI on family and you will watch Italian league live.And its usually the best match of the day and not the grade b match ups that HITV always show. Do you know that you can watch some live Portuguese league matches on RTPi?I have never gotten their timing right so I cant tell you for sure which days but I have watched live Portuguese matches on RTPi.

I am highlighting these so you will be informed and know what you are up against. This time around convey these feedbacks to your management and let them not treat the customers with contempt.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Have You Seen The New Coca Cola Advert? It Insults Africans / Pictures Of Zack Orji, Segun Arinze, Ibinabo Fiberesima On Set Of 'Mary Slessor' / BBNaija Tega: I Have Spoken To My Husband & We Are Good

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.