Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,987 members, 7,835,307 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Preparing for GRE - Education (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (97183 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by flopath1: 5:38pm On Mar 29, 2011
Physicall:

Guys,glad to be back.I have just accepted two different offers-though with reasons.Anyone knows what consequences this is going to generate?

some schools can be very lenient with that, and just let you get off, but if they know that you are going off to another school it gets tricky. That's because they know you essentially played them. It's better to get off as soon as possible to prevent too much problem. Before accepting the second offer, why did you not sort yourself out with the other school?

VPersiee:

@flo_path

You are going to be in an harvard summer program? Thats great. I will be in one at MIT. Perhaps we will meet each other in Boston. And you have Goldman Sachs too? na u biko. In my experience, nigerians usually choose the research track or the corporate track, but you have doors to the two areas open. kudos to you and best of luck.

Yeah I should be going to the harvard thing as long as the international office approves my cpt thing. going to MIT. That's awesome dude, nice job!. do you know what you'll be working on? that internship is kind of a big deal . are you international too? I read your other post about going to a mediocre school. Truth is, your school is probably not even close to mediocre. The fact that you have had these opportunities means that it is still a good place to go to school. We can't all go to top publics or ivy leagues.
As for goldman sachs, I was really torn about that, but ultimately I have decided that finance is not for me, at least not now anyway. I talked to a guy recently and he really inspired me. The big thing I keep hearing over and over again is that I shouldn't go into anything for money. It's difficult not to think about money, especially for pple like me that don't have rich fathers, but I have decided to pursue somethin that is more fulfilling atleast.

My goal is to maximize my advantage so that if I eventually change my mind, it'll be easy to switch between programs.
Re: Preparing for GRE by tabarity: 6:22pm On Mar 29, 2011
flo_path1:

some schools can be very lenient with that, and just let you get off, but if they know that you are going off to another school it gets tricky. That's because they know you essentially played them. It's better to get off as soon as possible to prevent too much problem. Before accepting the second offer, why did you not sort yourself out with the other school?

Hey flo_path1, what do you think might be the consequences if the school gets to know that the person in question in planning to go to another school. Perhaps you want to share the story of a similar recent case you were aware of and what the end result was. I have a friend already in a graduate programme in the US already but intends to leave to another programme in another school in the US. He's even secured an admission. He once said he feels so bad that he might have to suddenly announce to his research supervisor that he is leaving. He is also skeptical about what might be the reaction of the school that has thus far supported him financially (tuition and stipend).
Re: Preparing for GRE by flopath1: 6:36pm On Mar 29, 2011
tabarity:

Hey flo_path1, what do you think might be the consequences if the school gets to know that the person in question in planning to go to another school. Perhaps you want to share the story of a similar recent case you were aware of and what the end result was. I have a friend already in a graduate programme in the[b] US already but intends to leave to another programme in another school in the US[/b]. He's even secured an admission. He once said he feels so bad that he might have to suddenly announce to his research supervisor that he is leaving. He is also skeptical about what might be the reaction of the school that has thus far supported him financially (tuition and stipend).

I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I am not personally aware of someone that has done that before, however, I'd imagine that it is possible to withdraw from the program and just leave. I think/pretty sure that this can be done. However, because it can be done doesn't mean it is the right thing. I don't want to judge, but to just carry go like that is not the best thing, because it is probably the research supervisor that is paying for all the expenses.

Here are the repercussions thta I can think of:

If the relationship goes south, he can't ever get a good rec from that prof. If he is in a small feild where all the major profs know each other then the guy is in yawa. The prof can also start to cultivate a bad opinion about naija students in general and just see them as people that come in and use them as stepping stone to other things. If it is a no name school that'll not affect him at all. He can probably do it.

The best way is probably for him to discuss it with his adviser, so that they can both come up with a reasonable way of working it out. It won't be easy but things like this are never easy fro anyone. If the adviser is correct guy, he'll help him as much as possible.
Re: Preparing for GRE by VPersiee: 6:23am On Mar 30, 2011
@flo_path

The folks at MIT are just organizing our travel. After that they will tell us which professor we will be working with and from there we will know what we will be working on. What are you working on? What is your IM or email? You said you need to approve your CPT; I took part in a research program last summer and I did not need CPT. The folks at MIT have also not mentioned CPT. I hope I am not forgetting anything i.e. CPT.

And yes I am international. You sound like someone I will like to talk to more.

@tabarity

The main disadvantage of bailing on your advisor is that you ruin your networks and relationships. If the student plans to work in academia, it becomes virtually impossible to be successful. As you go up the career ladder, who you know begins to matter more and more in what you can achieve. So the professor can decide to be vindictive and let the relevant people in the academic community have a negative impression of the student. Also the student will probably never be able to get a recommendation from that advisor.
Re: Preparing for GRE by flopath1: 11:01am On Mar 30, 2011
VPersiee:

@flo_path

The folks at MIT are just organizing our travel. After that they will tell us which professor we will be working with and from there we will know what we will be working on. What are you working on? What is your IM or email? You said you need to approve your CPT; I took part in a research program last summer and I did not need CPT. The folks at MIT have also not mentioned CPT. I hope I am not forgetting anything i.e. CPT.

And yes I am international. You sound like someone I will like to talk to more.

@tabarity

ok, this is interesting. I had always thought that I needed a cpt approval for it. anyway, I would check again. do you only need it for employment? were you getting paid for the research gig?
I haven't done summer research at another school before, so I don't know the process. I'll do some research on it and get back to you. I was also not sure that I needed to get the cpt thing, but I just wanted to be on a save side. the international folks in my school can be a bit paranoid. so did you just go for the research stuff the last time?

As for what I am working for on. I have a vague idea. The postdoc I'll be working with sent me like 5 papers to read last week and I haven't even opened it. From prelim knowledge, it is going to be on Bayesian learning applied to biological systems. In general, I'll probably be doing more on applied math/control theory in relation to biology. I don't have a specific area set in mind for now, I just want to go over there and explore opportunities. I am a little nervous. Hopefully things would go well.

My email is sojourn2greatness@gmail.com(I know the id is a lil egotistical but oh well, it is my pseudo-anonymous email). email me man, I'd definitely like to chat about stuff. do you know anyone in cambridge/boston area. I had a friend in high school(dint go to the same high school) who is at Harvard now, but the boy don bone my side, so I don't really know too many people over there.
time period is early june to late august. Am looking forward to it though because I am a big fan of the boston celtics.

It is getting a little quite here. where is everyone lately?
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 11:41am On Mar 30, 2011
It is getting a little quite here. where is everyone lately?

We are here o! Reading, learning and chiming in when our two cents will be worth something.

All things being equal, I'll be at MIT too in August. Its a pity that you and VPersiee might have left Boston by then. Congrats to you both on your achievements.
Re: Preparing for GRE by VPersiee: 1:22am On Mar 31, 2011
@cezeozue

I may not leave till just a week before my school resumes. We may still see.
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 3:31pm On Mar 31, 2011
Rejection number *** (I think I've lost count). Columbia.
Re: Preparing for GRE by VPersiee: 4:31pm On Mar 31, 2011
^^^

Accepted at MIT?
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 4:32pm On Mar 31, 2011
Yes, and that's the only reason why I am not weeping profusely right now.
Re: Preparing for GRE by VPersiee: 7:08pm On Mar 31, 2011
Congrats man! If you don get MIT, norrin do you.
Re: Preparing for GRE by tabarity: 9:52pm On Apr 01, 2011
^^We really do not discuss business matters here Mr. MD, kindly take your product to 'Alaba International Market' forum. Thank you grin
Re: Preparing for GRE by loma(m): 4:10pm On Apr 02, 2011
Spent the Weekend at the MIT media lab. They have just started what they refer to as the African Initiative. They are also looking to attract Africans as there is only one in the dept at present. Holla at me if you need any contacts.
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 9:20pm On Apr 02, 2011
Are they looking to attract African faculty or students to the media lab?
Re: Preparing for GRE by loma(m): 2:34am On Apr 04, 2011
Grad students
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 8:43am On Apr 04, 2011
So will they unofficially lower the bar for Africans? Or have a quota?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Gbenge77(m): 9:41am On Apr 04, 2011
Gre would be changing their format starting August 1.The Antonymn section will be scra.pped
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 6:34pm On Apr 04, 2011
I would never have imagined that I'll be rejecting an admissions offer from Stanford but then, na so life be.
Re: Preparing for GRE by GboyegaD(m): 6:44pm On Apr 04, 2011
In my case, I got admission into Applied Economics with Utah State University however without funding as they put a clause in the notification that my GRE result came in late. University of Wyoming said I am on waiting list as such, admission decision cannot be finalized on my case until April 15th when they will know those who rejected their admission. University of Wisconsin claimed that they rejected my application however, they are offering me admission to Masters without Funding and Purdue University just wrote few minutes ago that my application was rejected. I am not moved though because I am still waiting for response from some other schools.
One thing I know for sure, Fall 2011 God willing, I will be a graduate student in the US.
Re: Preparing for GRE by tutuwater(m): 3:06am On Apr 07, 2011
Newbie here, please can someone who did not register online outline the steps to register for the exam in nigeria. I have skimmed thru the ets website and could not see the procedure there. By the way i am awed by most of the profile on this thread.
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 4:48am On Apr 07, 2011
@tutuwater: Are you looking for the procedure for online registration? Because if you are not then you might as well visit First Logic on Oba Akran and register there.
Re: Preparing for GRE by tutuwater(m): 3:24pm On Apr 07, 2011
Thank u @ cezeoezue i might as well do with the online procedure.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Sintame: 4:12pm On Apr 07, 2011
Hi folks,

Great one you guys have done here! Was introduced here by a very good friend.

Well, i'v just begun to take action on my grad -school plans, but as it is, i'll be writting the new Revised GRE in view of fall 2012 admission. What prep approach do you guys advice?

Secondly, I'm applying to MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley and Gatech. What application-package stategies do i adopt to aid acceptance?

Pls, cezeozue, flo-path, VPersiee, tabarity, SEFAGO, et al. respond.

Thanks for your responses.
Re: Preparing for GRE by flopath1: 4:27pm On Apr 07, 2011
Sintame:

Hi folks,

Great one you guys have done here! Was introduced here by a very good friend.

Well, i'v just begun to take action on my grad -school plans, but as it is, i'll be writting the new Revised GRE in view of fall 2012 admission. What prep approach do you guys advice?

Secondly, I'm applying to MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley and Gatech. What application-package stategies do i adopt to aid acceptance?

Pls, cezeozue, flo-path, VPersiee, tabarity, SEFAGO, et al. respond.

Thanks for your responses.

I am probably not the best person to answer this but I'll give it a try. I think Ceceozue would do a better job giving you advice, given that he has just gone through the process. I am sure you know how competitive it is to get into the schools you are applying to. You also need to work on your statement of purpose because you need to be able to show that you know what you are doing.

GO to the school's websites, look critically at the research going on. Look at the Lab websites and check out the profile of the people working in those labs. If they have people with background similar to yours, you'll want to point that out in the application. You should also know the core courses that the department you are looking at requires. Highlight your grades in those courses to show technical proficiency.

Here is a link: If you have 1 hour or so, watch the videos and you should have answers to a lot of the questions you might have.

http://web.mit.edu/msrp/myMSRP/dinner_seminar2.html

What area are you planning on going into? did you do your undergrad in naija or somewhere else?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Sintame: 5:23pm On Apr 07, 2011
flo_path1:

I am probably not the best person to answer this but I'll give it a try. I think Ceceozue would do a better job giving you advice, given that he has just gone through the process. I am sure you know how competitive it is to get into the schools you are applying to. You also need to work on your statement of purpose because you need to be able to show that you know what you are doing.

GO to the school's websites, look critically at the research going on. Look at the Lab websites and check out the profile of the people working in those labs. If they have people with background similar to yours, you'll want to point that out in the application. You should also know the core courses that the department you are looking at requires. Highlight your grades in those courses to show technical proficiency.

Here is a link: If you have 1 hour or so, watch the videos and you should have answers to a lot of the questions you might have.

http://web.mit.edu/msrp/myMSRP/dinner_seminar2.html

What area are you planning on going into? did you do your undergrad in naija or somewhere else?

Thanks for your reply.

I'm planning for Energy and Power option of Mechanical Engineering. Had my under grad in a federal school in naija, Graduated summa cum laude,

Guess you schooled or are schooling in yankee(?) What's the approach that you guys adopt to get those terrific acceptances?
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 6:57pm On Apr 07, 2011
@sintame: I wish I knew, I can only say pray hard and give it the best shot you can. The best shot would include smashing your GRE & TOEFL/IELTS, getting the best recommendations from established profs, applying early, contacting profs in the programs you are applying to and writing one heck of a statement of purpose.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Sintame: 8:18am On Apr 08, 2011
@cezeozue: did u say contact the Profs you want to work with?(!). I tot that was counter-productive. Besides, what should i be telling them?
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 9:20am On Apr 08, 2011
Yes. That was what I meant. I doubt that it is counter-productive especially if your email demonstrates interest and a firm understanding in their work.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Sintame: 2:40pm On Apr 08, 2011
cezeozue:

Yes. That was what I meant. I doubt that it is counter-productive especially if your email demonstrates interest and a firm understanding in their work.

O.k.

But does that mean that all the Profs sit on the admission panels?
Re: Preparing for GRE by cezeozue: 3:06pm On Apr 08, 2011
I don't think they all do but its my understanding that if a prof really wants you, you will most likely get in. BTW, "prof" includes assistant and associate profs
Re: Preparing for GRE by Sintame: 4:22pm On Apr 08, 2011
Cezeozue, thanks for your responces. Can you give me an idea of what a winning S.O.P should contain?

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (44) (Reply)

20 Popular Slangs Used By University Students In Nigeria / N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos / The Ten Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.