Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,076 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

Preparing for GRE - Education (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (96972 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by Fido(m): 10:21am On May 25, 2011
REGISTER FOR YOUR GRE FOR JUST N30k.
Offer Last till the end of May. 2011,
Call or Sms 08025850136 for Info.
Re: Preparing for GRE by lailai2(m): 8:36pm On May 26, 2011
congrats, GboyegaD
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 9:09pm On May 26, 2011
------strolls in-----***************
leadzeal:

@webstra,

I believe those are the only two loc u can write your gre (i.e lagos and abuja).
@leadzeal,have you taken your GRE? I trust you did great!

------strolls out-----***************
Re: Preparing for GRE by SCYLLA: 9:59am On May 29, 2011
Hello guys,
Its been a while I practically disappeared from here. Anyway just to update those who might be reading in the future. I got a 1220 in my GRE 700Q 520V. Petroleum Engineering.
TEXAS A M - REJECTED!
TEXAS TECH - REJECTED!
LSU - REJECTED!
I largely knew it was gonna be like this, I did not know what taking the GRE again and maybe getting a 740 or 760 in a short span would tell the admissions committee. Anyways the last school University of Oklahoma told me a decision was posted May 4th to me via air mail. I waited till last week and emailed again complaining that I had not yet received the mail ( I paid a whooping 90 dolls for that application oh) and they should let me know what the decision was so I can be at ease. The admissions officer says ok let me forward your complaints to the person in charge, minutes later a reply comes and says if you want us to send you a new I 20 and admission packet you will have to pay 60 dolls for it via fed ex bla bla bla bla. I say slow down you have not told me what the decision is yet and she replies yes you were admitted.

UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA - ACCEPTED !
Not seen the I 20 yet sha but I have plenty mixed feelings. Anyway to anyone reading never give up, I know I did in my mind sha am still shocked.
Re: Preparing for GRE by tutuwater(m): 3:42pm On May 29, 2011
Congrat SCYLLA.
@ all
anyone know where i can get the grebigbook, powerprep kaplan cd.

Thank u in advance
Re: Preparing for GRE by Fido(m): 8:08am On May 30, 2011
Register for SAT, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL & PMP at the cheapest rates. Contact: 08025850136 offer last till June 30th.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 30, 2011
@myforumid,
is been a while. Saw ur post abt leaving for the visa section, congrates man.

Hmm, abt doin great in d gre, well my quant was nothing to write home abt. Anyway my scores,

verbal- 610
quant- 710. Took it abt 6 days ago.

Man, i don't knw wat to do,i really planned nailing it but what can i say. Am not certain of a high quant score in a retake, since those questns were nt strange to me. I really make silly mistakes esp @ d start.(i noticed it in powerprep practices) Need of ur 2cents of advice,a frank one wud b appreciatd.lol.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 7:57pm On May 30, 2011
@sylla,
what can i say , CONGRATES. Me wan ask whether na jazz, just kidding. Good u posted, before i go go 'hang myself', again just kidding,

'Bestest' of luck man.
Re: Preparing for GRE by ChiDalu1: 8:27pm On May 30, 2011
SCYLLA:

Hello guys,
Its been a while I practically disappeared from here. Anyway just to update those who might be reading in the future. I got a 1220 in my GRE 700Q 520V. Petroleum Engineering.
TEXAS A M - REJECTED!
TEXAS TECH - REJECTED!
LSU - REJECTED!
I largely knew it was gonna be like this, I did not know what taking the GRE again and maybe getting a 740 or 760 in a short span would tell the admissions committee. Anyways the last school University of Oklahoma told me a decision was posted May 4th to me via air mail. I waited till last week and emailed again complaining that I had not yet received the mail ( I paid a whooping 90 dolls for that application oh) and  they should let me know what the decision was so I can be at ease. The admissions officer says ok let me forward your complaints to the person in charge, minutes later a reply comes and says if you want us to send you a new I 20 and admission packet you will have to pay 60 dolls for it via fed ex bla bla bla bla. I say slow down you have not told me what the decision is yet and she replies yes you were admitted.

UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA - ACCEPTED !
Not seen the I 20 yet sha but I have plenty mixed feelings. Anyway to anyone reading never give up, I know I did in my mind sha am still shocked.

Congratulations Sylcca, University of Oklahoma has a very good Petroleum Engineering program. I also was rejected in some of those schools u mentioned, their shakara is just too much.

Congrats once again!
Re: Preparing for GRE by SCYLLA: 9:05pm On May 30, 2011
Guys the thing still dey do me like film trick I wan take eye see that I 20 bad bad.
@Chi.Dalu
Which school did you get into?
Re: Preparing for GRE by beejaei: 5:15pm On Jun 01, 2011
Where can I find someone to write my GRE for me?
Re: Preparing for GRE by tabarity: 6:22pm On Jun 01, 2011
^^The best (and, of course, the most expensive; yet cheap) guy that will do it for you is living right within you. wink
Re: Preparing for GRE by beejaei: 11:38pm On Jun 01, 2011
WHat?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 9:51am On Jun 02, 2011
hmmm. This is interesting, I tried visualizing the possibilities, but only one seems to b making a lot of sense, If you re an identical twin.(since fingerprint is yet 2 b incorporated into it), But guy u dey reason, saw a lot of ur kind while in sch, lol, But still i must admit it is quite creative, Thumbs up.lmao
Re: Preparing for GRE by beejaei: 10:30am On Jun 02, 2011
what? that is even less comprehensible
Re: Preparing for GRE by myforumid3: 5:08pm On Jun 02, 2011
-----strolls in---------
leadzeal:

@myforumid,
is been a while. Saw your post abt leaving for the visa section, congrates man.

Hmm, abt doin great in d gre, well my quant was nothing to write home abt. Anyway my scores,

verbal- 610
quant- 710. Took it abt 6 days ago.

Man, i don't knw wat to do,i really planned nailing it but what can i say. Am not certain of a high quant score in a retake, since those questns were nt strange to me. I really make silly mistakes esp @ d start.(i noticed it in powerprep practices) Need of your 2cents of advice,a frank one wud b appreciatd.lol.
Frankly speaking, I dont know what to advise, but I guess the gurus in the house wud suggest that you retake it again if you can esp. if you want to be certain about your admission chances after paying a whole lot in app fees.

Getting into pet engr schs in the US now is very very competitive (infact, I suspect politics don enter), I thought finishing the best grad student of my class(top 1) and getting a great gre score would give me an easy ride with funding into many if not all my chosen schs but I was wrong.

You may ve to get Scylla's favour to get admit in any usa pet engr schs wif your math score but I sincerely wish you success weda or not you decide to retake the gre cos I cant guarantee if you wud ve an improved score. The prep alone is time and energy sapping but it may just be worth it.
Hope my 2cents encourages you to make the right decision.
Success bro.

------strolls out---------
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jun 02, 2011
@myforumid,
yep, i get ur point, and it was really frank indeed and insightful as well, My options(a retake or sticking with d one @ hand) re still wide open, I appreciate d time u took in putting those keen advice down. Thanx man. And success.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Fido(m): 10:24pm On Jun 13, 2011
REGISTER FOR YOUR GRE FOR JUST N29k.
Offer Last till the end of May. 2011,
Call or Sms 08035770887 for Info.
Re: Preparing for GRE by rapheal2k9: 9:27pm On Jun 27, 2011
Hello All,
Please where can i write TOEFL in Lagos.
Re: Preparing for GRE by dipo2much(m): 11:21am On Jul 20, 2011
Thread too quite.

Now that the GREs are taking a different form commencing from Aug 1st, new revised materials should be made availabe. For now, its only the PrepsoftII that's available on †нє GRE site that seems to be in tune with the new form of the exams.
I will be taking the new form of the exams soon and will be buying textbooks cos studying soft copies will be limited to electricity supply.
Anybody seen hard copy barrons that cater for the new GRE form?
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 6:37pm On Jul 23, 2011
^
I have not seen one yet, but it is pretty cheap, at $10.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764146165/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&tag=happscho-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=0764146165

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071700528/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=happscho-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=0071700528

You should definiely look at the ETS website first and get all their materials though before Barron. Most of those test prep companies have no clue about the exact format of the new exam, so choose wisely. I have had horrible experiences with test prep from private companies. Unfortunately, I am busty right now, if not I would have tried to get a copy of the Barron book and see how the new test looks. The Kaplan books are the most useless. I cannot emphasise their uselessness enough.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 7:08pm On Jul 23, 2011
e be like say wetin SAFAGO and co dey yan na true, African students are far below the pecking order in the scheme of things, weda admission to competitive programs or funding. God dey my broda. We go yankee together.
Na faith, nothin else

I never insinuated that. I said that its just more difficult for most Africans to get into top US PhDs because the opportunities available to us are too limited to make us competitive. GRE- which a lot of Nigerians do well in, is one of the least important aspects of an application. Also they might be skeptical about the rigor of the African educational system and might assume that Asian or European Universities are stronger. Note that you are competeing with some of the most accomplished students in the world.

That of course does not negate the purpose of this thread, you still have to do well in the exam grin.

Anyways it has been quite a quiet cycle. a bit more quite than during my time. Very few students applied to or got into Top US PhDs. there is not even sufficient sample on NL to form a good idea of the difficulty of Nigerians in getting into top US PhDs.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 7:15pm On Jul 23, 2011
This has info on all the ifnormatiion you might need in regards to the new ETS GRE

http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/about

What Is Changing About the Test Questions
New Questions That Better Reflect the Kind of Thinking You'll Do In Graduate or Business School

The GRE® General Test measures the skills you need to succeed in graduate or business school, regardless of your field of study. The GRE® revised General Test more closely aligns with the types of skills that are required to meet today's demanding graduate and business school expectations.

Here's a look at what is changing on the three test sections — Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning and Analytical Writing.
Verbal Reasoning: No More Antonyms and Analogies. More Focus on Reading.

The GRE revised General Test places a greater emphasis on higher-level cognitive skills. Featuring new types of questions, the Verbal Reasoning section of the revised test more closely reflects the kind of thinking you'll do in graduate or business school, and better measures your ability to understand what you read and how you apply your reasoning skills.

Here's what is new for the Verbal Reasoning section:

* Antonyms and analogies have been removed from the test, so there are no questions that test vocabulary out of context.
* New Text Completion questions test your ability to interpret, evaluate and reason from what you've read. Text Completion questions test this ability by omitting crucial words from short passages, requiring you to fill them in by selecting words or phrases.
* New Sentence Equivalence questions test your ability to reach a conclusion about how a sentence should be completed while focusing on the meaning of the whole sentence.
* There are more Reading Comprehension questions on the test, including new types of questions, such as selecting multiple correct answer choices instead of just one, or highlighting a sentence within a reading passage to answer the question.

Get a quick view of the Verbal Reasoning Question Types.

Take a closer look at the Verbal Reasoning section.

Since there are substantial changes to the Verbal Reasoning section of the GRE revised General Test, the score scale for this section is changing, too. Learn more about score scale changes.

The revised Verbal Reasoning section measures your ability to:

* analyze and draw conclusions from discourse; reason from incomplete data; identify author's assumptions and/or perspective; understand multiple levels of meaning, such as literal, figurative and author's intent
* select important points; distinguish major from minor or relevant points; summarize text; understand the structure of a text
* understand the meanings of words, sentences and entire texts; understand relationships among words and among concepts

Learn about changes to the paper-based test.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 7:16pm On Jul 23, 2011
Analytical Writing: More Focused Responses. Less Generalization.

The Analytical Writing section is not changing dramatically. However, you'll need to provide more focused responses based on the tasks presented, so you can more accurately demonstrate your skill in directly responding to that task.

You will still write two essays, one where you evaluate a logical argument, and the other where you express your views on a critical issue.

Here's what is new for the Analytical Writing section:

* For each essay task, you will be given one topic rather than a choice of topics.
* Tasks are now more specific, and responses will be measured to ensure you can integrate critical thinking and analytical writing by fully addressing the tasks you’re presented.

Get a quick view of the Analytical Writing Question Types.

Take a closer look at the Analytical Writing section.

The revised Analytical Writing section continues to measure your ability to:

* articulate complex ideas clearly and effectively
* support ideas with relevant reasons and examples
* examine claims and accompanying evidence
* sustain a well-focused, coherent discussion
* control the elements of standard written English

The changes to these three sections incorporate the kind of tasks and thinking you'll do in graduate or business school — and provide more reliable results to the schools considering you for admission.

Ready to Register? Registration for the GRE revised General Test is open now! Reserve your place today >
Re: Preparing for GRE by ibnhasan: 11:46am On Aug 27, 2011
@myforumid3

pls i'll like to know your reasons for not wanting KAUST. I 'm thinking of applying there for fall 2012 admissions. i'll appreciate your advice on how to secure an admission there. THANKS
Re: Preparing for GRE by GboyegaD(m): 3:05pm On Aug 27, 2011
ibn hasan:

@myforumid3

pls i'll like to know your reasons for not wanting KAUST. I 'm thinking of applying there for fall 2012 admissions. i'll appreciate your advice on how to secure an admission there. THANKS

Hi Hassan,
I will suggest you send in an e-mail at da.gbost63@yahoo.com cos the guy don dey very busy and I do not think he still browses nairaland.
Re: Preparing for GRE by ibnhasan: 6:53pm On Aug 27, 2011
@ GboyegaD : Thanks a lot. That'll be helpful.

Pls do you know where I can get Barron's new GRE or the GRE bible in Lagos or Abuja. I have been searching with no success. And i want write the exam in September. Thanks
Re: Preparing for GRE by ibnhasan: 7:00pm On Aug 27, 2011
@ Sefago:

In one of your posts u said University of Alberta waives application fee for Nigerians. I checked their site but there was no mention of anything like that. Please can you explain further. Thanks
Re: Preparing for GRE by GboyegaD(m): 9:53pm On Aug 27, 2011
I do not have an idea however, you can drop your email address if you want the old materials.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 11:02pm On Aug 27, 2011
ibn hasan:

@ Sefago:

In one of your posts u said University of Alberta waives application fee for Nigerians. I checked their site but there was no mention of anything like that. Please can you explain further. Thanks

That was nearly two years ago I think. They have updated their list and removed nigeria probably

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (44) (Reply)

Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video) / N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.