Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,718 members, 7,824,042 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Preparing for GRE - Education (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (97042 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by joblinks1: 9:54am On Nov 18, 2012
Hallo House ,
Re: Preparing for GRE by jamebex(m): 11:48pm On Nov 21, 2012
@joblinks you can’t get a proper advice with just your GRE score, your overall profile will determine how competitive you are for any given school. Also note that since you are gunning for Pet Eng, your quantitative GRE is expected to be your highest score. So I suggest you post your complete profile that is- you GPA, GRE (separately that is Q&V) research experience if any.
Re: Preparing for GRE by joblinks1: 8:17pm On Nov 26, 2012
r
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 7:16am On Nov 27, 2012
Hi guys,

I wrote my GRE a week ago. When the questions started getting simpler (second set) I thought the first was the experiment section. I didn't know that was because I flunked the first section cry

Now, I'd like the veterans here to guide me. What are my chances of getting:

1. Admitted
2. a scholarship,

If I have a profile as this:

*GRE: V152 Q150

*GPA: 3.8/5.0

*background in Physical sciences, looking to do my masters in the Earth sciences, in the US/Canada

*Good B.sc thesis (Hydrogeophysics)

*and 6months work experience in an R&grin dept of an electricity company.

I wanted to open a fresh thread until I saw this. So, Ibn hasan, donedy et al, over to you!
Re: Preparing for GRE by jamebex(m): 6:54pm On Nov 27, 2012
@ job links your score translates to 690Q and 380V which are kinda low. Though your GPA is ok when converted to a 4.0 scale it do probably vary between "3.2 and 3.4" which doesnt stand out in the applicants pool. Your lack of research experience also is not good. Thus, i will suggest you retake the GRE and aim for the best possible scores- for an engineer anything 780+ which translates to 161+ and a verbal score of atleast 550 (156) aim higher to really stand out. Most importantly note that GRE score are not the most important part of your application, your research experience and/or potentials are. So while you focus on improving your GRE also put effort into crafting a very good SOP also make sure your recommenders are those who can write strong letters for you. On a side note which addmission cycle are you for?

@olu kenzo Sorry about your experience. High GRE score does not guarantee your acceptance but a low one does keep you out of consideration, it is therefore imperative that you get an above average score for your field, but your score is a bit low (450V, 630Q) thus even with a good research experience you might not make it to the review cycle. Though am not familier with your field i do suggest retaking the GRE to improve your score.
Re: Preparing for GRE by joblinks1: 8:51pm On Nov 27, 2012
@Jamebex... i will be considering sep 2013 since i will need to get a higher GRE score . i want to rewrite it . please do you have any clues as to achieve a higher score ?
Re: Preparing for GRE by jamebex(m): 8:57am On Dec 04, 2012
job links: @Jamebex... i will be considering sep 2013 since i will need to get a higher GRE score . i want to rewrite it . please do you have any clues as to achieve a higher score ?

Sorry for the late response. I was somewhat busy lately. Concerning your question, one word answer is practise. Just Practise, practise and practise different kind of question from prep guide that is close to what you will see on test day. But on a more personal term- how did you prepare for the last test? how long did prep? what is your background in quant and verbal? This will help focus your effort more on specific areas where you are a tyro and less on areas you are adept at.
Re: Preparing for GRE by jaidor: 9:45am On Dec 04, 2012
hello everyone, I need to know when the next GRE exam is coming up......and how to get the application form, pls help with the full details.
Re: Preparing for GRE by jamebex(m): 8:22am On Dec 05, 2012
jaidor: hello everyone, I need to know when the next GRE exam is coming up......and how to get the application form, pls help with the full details.
Do you mean the Paper GRE? Apart from the paper test which is not even available in Nigeria, GRE is done throughout the year monday through friday except holidays.
As for the application all you need to know can be found on ETS website www.ets.org/gre
Re: Preparing for GRE by conyema12(m): 5:22pm On Dec 09, 2012
I love this forum, and I respect all the contributions from the Gurus here like Jamebex et al,
Please i need your advice , I will be applying for a MSc or PhD in the US by Sept 2013.
I have CGPA 3.48/5.0 (BSc. Geology)
CGPA 4.75/5.0 (Msc Petroleum Geology)

I have worked in one of the Oil Exploration and Production Multinationals.
I am currently working with an Oil servicing company.
I have good research experience.
I am currently preparing for my GRE

every contribution no matter how small will be welcomed welcomed
Re: Preparing for GRE by jamebex(m): 7:50pm On Dec 09, 2012
conyema12: I love this forum, and I respect all the contributions from the Gurus here like Jamebex et al,
Please i need your advice , I will be applying for a MSc or PhD in the US by Sept 2013.
I have CGPA 3.48/5.0 (BSc. Geology)
CGPA 4.75/5.0 (Msc Petroleum Geology)

I have worked in one of the Oil Exploration and Production Multinationals.
I am currently working with an Oil servicing company.
I have good research experience.
I am currently preparing for my GRE

every contribution no matter how small will be welcomed welcomed

You re welcome to the family bro! The house is just prosaic these days, guys are busy with stuffs like you know.....lol. Well as per advice i will say- First, read from page 1 of this thread to the last. You will be thankful you did because this thread is inundated with every bit of advice you will need.

Secondly, focus on geting stellar GRE scores. Since you will be applying by 2013 you have ample time to prepare. The higher your scores the better.

Start preparing for your Letters of Recommendation. What i mean is make sure you have a very robust rapport with your prospective recommenders the more they get to know you, the better.

Thirdly, you seem to have research experience that is fine. Are your work published? If not, try and publish. This is very important for PhDs and even the MSc. You'd be suprised @ the magic this can perform.

Fourthly, do you have any specific school in mind now! If not start now. Peruse their website and look for PIs whose research interest has nexus with yours. Your chances of been accepted to any program is signcantly increased if their is a prof. There who likes your research.

This is by no means peremptory, other veterans can still add their 2 cent.
Re: Preparing for GRE by conyema12(m): 4:08pm On Dec 11, 2012
jamebex:

You re welcome to the family bro! The house is just prosaic these days, guys are busy with stuffs like you know.....lol. Well as per advice i will say- First, read from page 1 of this thread to the last. You will be thankful you did because this thread is inundated with every bit of advice you will need.

Secondly, focus on geting stellar GRE scores. Since you will be applying by 2013 you have ample time to prepare. The higher your scores the better.

Start preparing for your Letters of Recommendation. What i mean is make sure you have a very robust rapport with your prospective recommenders the more they get to know you, the better.

Thirdly, you seem to have research experience that is fine. Are your work published? If not, try and publish. This is very important for PhDs and even the MSc. You'd be suprised @ the magic this can perform.

Fourthly, do you have any specific school in mind now! If not start now. Peruse their website and look for PIs whose research interest has nexus with yours. Your chances of been accepted to any program is signcantly increased if their is a prof. There who likes your research.

This is by no means peremptory, other veterans can still add their 2 cent.

Thank you very much, i really appreciate every bit of the advice.
I have started preparing for my GRE and i must say you really aroused my vocabulary sagacity...*winks*...lol..
I will seriously try to publish my papers like you suggested.

Actually I have 4 schools in mind; TEXAS TECH UNIV, UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON, WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY and UNIV OF NEW MEXICO in the order of Preference.

Plz whats the chances of getting a PhD admission?
If I apply for MSc. will both my CGPA (BSc and MSc) be used for the evaluation?

I forgot to mention that it is in Geosciences or Petroleum Engineering.

Thank you very much

Cheers
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 11, 2012
jamebex:
Do you mean the Paper GRE? Apart from the paper test which is not even available in Nigeria, GRE is done throughout the year monday through friday except holidays.
As for the application all you need to know can be found on ETS website www.ets.org/gre

Paper based test GRE is available in Nigeria.It's for specific locations and dates.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Datanet: 1:05pm On Dec 27, 2012
Hi all, need a quick info from the gurus in the house, how do u pay for the University Applications/ processing fees for MSc programmes. The various US schools website are requesting for a Credit Card payment option and its not accepting my debit card. It also wont allow me to send in my application unless i pay first.

how do you resolve this

Thanks

regards
Re: Preparing for GRE by 2good(m): 10:43pm On Jan 04, 2013
This thread is almost dead. I used to be active here between 2009 and 2010 and it was a good period to communicate with fellow aspirants like myself.
I wish you guys all the best.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bukahands(m): 7:35am On Jan 05, 2013
nice thread am preparing for the GRE this january and am studying with baron and grudgers.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bigfrancis21: 11:28pm On Jan 10, 2013
jamebex:
The paper-based test is also written in Nigeria! It is written thrice a year as it is done worldwide - feb, oct and nov. The next paper GRE comes up on feb 9, 2013. I wrote the one of Oct 20 last year at Aba. There are only three centers for the PBT in Nigeria; Aba (Dorithy Intl Secondary School Aba, Abia state), Edo and Lagos.
Re: Preparing for GRE by FutureDon(m): 6:11pm On Jan 13, 2013
Datanet: Hi all, need a quick info from the gurus in the house, how do u pay for the University Applications/ processing fees for MSc programmes. The various US schools website are requesting for a Credit Card payment option and its not accepting my debit card. It also wont allow me to send in my application unless i pay first.

how do you resolve this

Thanks

regards

If your debit card aint working, I suggest you lookup 'Zenith Bank Websurfer' or Zenith Bank Buxy Card' online as I don't have up-to-date info on them any longer. They both work efficiently and you don't have to be a Zenith Bank account holder before you can get one. Also, you could always use them to order additional test scores. Good luck with your applications.

2good: This thread is almost dead. I used to be active here between 2009 and 2010 and it was a good period to communicate with fellow aspirants like myself.
I wish you guys all the best.

Yeah, you used to be very active on this thread back then.

bukahands: nice thread am preparing for the GRE this january and am studying with baron and grudgers.

Lookup this website, loads of RC practice questions.
http://codecoax.com/grerc/

1 Like

Re: Preparing for GRE by 2good(m): 6:34pm On Jan 13, 2013
FutureDon:

If your debit card aint working, I suggest you lookup 'Zenith Bank Websurfer' or Zenith Bank Buxy Card' online as I don't have up-to-date info on them any longer. They both work efficiently and you don't have to be a Zenith Bank account holder before you can get one. Also, you could always use them to order additional test scores. Good luck with your applications.

Yeah, you used to be very active on this thread back then.

Lookup this website, loads of RC practice questions.
http://codecoax.com/grerc/

I already finished my MSc studies in Petroleum Engineering and working with an oil and gas operator in Europe. This thread brought back some memories when I flashed back to 2009/2010.
Re: Preparing for GRE by FutureDon(m): 7:52pm On Jan 13, 2013
2good:

I already finished my MSc studies in Petroleum Engineering and working with an oil and gas operator in Europe. This thread brought back some memories when I flashed back to 2009/2010.

Hehe, I got you, memories of antonyms, RC and quants.

What a great achievement, well done!! I initially thought you are somewhere pursuing a doctoral degree. I want to be like you when I grow up o cheesy
Re: Preparing for GRE by bigfrancis21: 10:52pm On Jan 13, 2013
2good:

Cool. Stories like this are what I like to hear. They inspire others. Fire on bro.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bukahands(m): 10:20pm On Jan 20, 2013
@futuredon thanks,
@bigfrancis thank bro for d materials
Re: Preparing for GRE by collyno200(m): 9:17am On Jan 28, 2013
hello peeps in the house! Nice thread indeed.I am getting set for my gre, taking it last week in feb.I am preparing with barrons also studied with kaplan.Earlier someone asked about how to go about registration.I think registration was the easiest for me,what i did was to open an account wit gtb.I requested 4 thier mastercard paid in about 30k into my account about 28k was deducted when i cheked my balance.I called prometric and did the registration on phone everything took less than 5mins.just have up to 800 on ur phone. I hope that helps
Re: Preparing for GRE by bukahands(m): 11:02pm On Jan 28, 2013
collyno200: hello peeps in the house! Nice thread indeed.I am getting set for my gre, taking it last week in feb.I am preparing with barrons also studied with kaplan.Earlier someone asked about how to go about registration.I think registration was the easiest for me,what i did was to open an account wit gtb.I requested 4 thier mastercard paid in about 30k into my account about 28k was deducted when i cheked my balance.I called prometric and did the registration on phone everything took less than 5mins.just have up to 800 on ur phone. I hope that helps

Thank you, it surely those help
Re: Preparing for GRE by spacebaba: 10:11pm On Feb 05, 2013
waoh dats nice but can u construe further on how you did d registration with ets and prometric
Re: Preparing for GRE by EINSTEINPG: 5:26pm On Feb 16, 2013
Can someone with bsc degree in computer engineering do masters in petroleum engineering in nigeria?
Re: Preparing for GRE by spacebaba: 8:31am On Feb 17, 2013
please guys how can i register for the gre myself
Re: Preparing for GRE by tosinomolara: 10:14am On Feb 18, 2013
Dear Nairalander,

Thanks for all your postings. I am in need of a tutor to prepare for my GRE exam.I am currently on vacation and I reside at VI extension not far from The Palms on Island.I don't mind any flexible period that will be convenient for my Tutor. Duration is 6 weeks from now because my Exam is in April.Please email me : tosinomolara2012@gmail.com.I have an attractive package for wages.Tutor must have taken exam before and have an impressive score of at least 1350-1500 on the old scale.Thanks
Re: Preparing for GRE by log1(m): 12:53pm On Feb 18, 2013
tosinomolara: Dear Nairalander,

Thanks for all your postings. I am in need of a tutor to prepare for my GRE exam.I am currently on vacation and I reside at VI extension not far from The Palms on Island.I don't mind any flexible period that will be convenient for my Tutor. Duration is 6 weeks from now because my Exam is in April.Please email me : tosinomolara2012@gmail.com.I have an attractive package for wages.Tutor must have taken exam before and have an impressive score of at least 1350-1500 on the old scale.Thanks
Believe me, you dont need any tutor to sit you down for GRE preparation. Since you have once passed through the university and hav written numerous tests and exams 'alone', i believe you can do it. Just go and get all necessary materials like Barron, Kaplan, Guber and practise with online questns stimulation. I doubt anybody could have the luxury time to be a GRE tutor. If you insist on getting a tutor. Since you stay in Lagos, try and look around because am sure there would be a coaching centre around, and again you can even get a personal home tutor.
Re: Preparing for GRE by FindOut(m): 12:55am On Feb 19, 2013
tosinomolara: Dear Nairalander,

Kai, i'm tempted to take this offer o! Lol.

Like log1 said above, you don't really need a personal tutor to get a good score on the GRE especially if

1) You have a good command of english, written and spoken, and your vocabulary level is above average (will need boosting though) at the very least.
2) You do quite well in maths.
3) YOU ARE SMART, CAN EFFECTIVELY APPLY LOGIC & CAN ENGAGE YOURSELF IN CRITICAL THINKING.
4) YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME AND STUDY MATERIALS AS WELL.

3 and 4 are quite important.

I wrote the GRE in January and had a score of 160/170 in Verbal (english), 157/170 in Quantitative & 4.0 in the essay section, so well, I think I'm almost qualified.lol. & No, i didnt go to ANY study centre & I didnt get a personal tutor. Though, having taken the SAT thrice about 5-6 years ago & scored really well (especially at the last attempt), i'd say I was at a slight advantage.

I assume you know what the new test looks like. Right? So what are your strong points and weak points i.e. areas you are fairly good at and areas where you might need some help? In short, how would you describe yourself going bu 1& 2 above?
Re: Preparing for GRE by tosinomolara: 8:35pm On Feb 19, 2013
Thanks for all your responses. I understand with some good effort and study materials one can meet the target.In my case, I am quite weak in Maths and I need to improve on my speed. I also could easily be distracted but with a coach and the fact that am paying, I'll be focus and discipline.I really need to brush on my maths. I am using Kaplan and Barrons to prepare at the moment. Let me know any other material or application I can download.Thanks. Still would not mind to have a Tutor even if it is for revision.
Re: Preparing for GRE by FindOut(m): 12:19am On Feb 20, 2013
tosinomolara: Thanks for all your responses. I understand with some good effort and study materials one can meet the target.In my case, I am quite weak in Maths and I need to improve on my speed. I also could easily be distracted but with a coach and the fact that am paying, I'll be focus and discipline.I really need to brush on my maths. I am using Kaplan and Barrons to prepare at the moment. Let me know any other material or application I can download.Thanks. Still would not mind to have a Tutor even if it is for revision.

Visit this thread to request for e-materials https://www.nairaland.com/994108/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part3/246. I have soft copies of Grubers and also Princeton's Cracking the GRE on my system but unfortunately, they are too large to send out. the guys on that thread tho, will send you zipped copies of the materials I have and maybe more.. If you don't get it by tomorrow, I'll search my mailbox for the zipped files and then send to you.

Then visit this link http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/powerprep2 to download the PowerPrepII software from ETS. Install on your computer and for now, take the diagnostic test. You get to have a feel of what the test looks like exactly.

My strong points are in Verbal, but I equally worked for and achieved a good score of 157 in math, thanks to strategies I learnt, and which the books and probably I as well, can teach you. i sent you a mail yesterday tho, please check and reply (tho i see you've answered some of my questions here). Cheers.

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (Reply)

Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video) / N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.