Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,587 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

Preparing for GRE - Education (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (96963 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by eesaah(m): 5:45pm On Feb 26, 2013
^^^
i am also preparing for the GRE test, please can you send me the soft copies of Grubers and also Princeton's Cracking the GRE you have?
Re: Preparing for GRE by spacebaba: 2:28pm On Mar 04, 2013
please gais if u ave a copy of grubers and priceton cracking the gre send it to me, spacekedet@gmail.com
Re: Preparing for GRE by jidesam168(m): 3:38pm On Mar 04, 2013
Pls i will appreciate if u can send it to my mail @ renaldsamod2003@yahoo.com
Re: Preparing for GRE by theHanafis(m): 10:24am On May 02, 2013
Re: Preparing for GRE by bigfrancis21: 6:59pm On May 05, 2013
theHanafis: Hi pals! I am new on this trend and I seriously need advice from every one especially the veterans.My Cgpa is 3.89 in mechanical engineering with no research experience.I'm planing to take my gre exams at the end of dis year or early Jan or Feb for Sep. 2014.pls I need ur advice and opinions for skuls in U.S

University of Rhode Island.
Re: Preparing for GRE by promkingzz(m): 10:29pm On May 12, 2013
Hello everyone, im new on this thread and im aslo planning to write the GRE exam anytime soon, somtime this year. haven read through some comments on this thread ive become a little nervous but i guess if others could ace theirs id also do good if i put my back into it. i made a 3.65 cgpa in computer science......looking to apply for an Msc in telecommunications or computer information systems.
Another question i wanna ask is; what do you think of someone switching from a bachelors in computer science to studying an oil & gas majors for masters?? is it even possible?
i must say im soo soo confused right now, i guess i just need some counselling and guardiance. i will appreciate if anyone here who is experienced could explain a few things to me.
which particular skools in the states are better to apply to putting into consideration my course of study and also moderate tuition fees.
your advice will be invaluable to me. thank you in advance.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bigfrancis21: 10:34pm On May 14, 2013
promkingzz: Hello everyone, im new on this thread and im aslo planning to write the GRE exam anytime soon, somtime this year. haven read through some comments on this thread ive become a little nervous but i guess if others could ace theirs id also do good if i put my back into it. i made a 3.65 cgpa in computer science......looking to apply for an Msc in telecommunications or computer information systems.
Another question i wanna ask is; what do you think of someone switching from a bachelors in computer science to studying an oil & gas majors for masters?? is it even possible?
i must say im soo soo confused right now, i guess i just need some counselling and guardiance. i will appreciate if anyone here who is experienced could explain a few things to me.
which particular skools in the states are better to apply to putting into consideration my course of study and also moderate tuition fees.
your advice will be invaluable to me. thank you in advance.

Check all USA universities with their application and school fees here
http://www.msinus.com/content/us-university-deadlines-application-fee-tuition-215/
Re: Preparing for GRE by theHanafis(m): 3:59pm On May 20, 2013
@francis 21 thnk u for d contribution,I wil check d skul later to find out more.
But do u think with a good gre score I will be able to get fellowship assistant or grant? n again I need ur advice on how to ace d gre exams cos I learnt dat eno easy n I'm really really scared n pissed,bin searching n lukin every corner on how to get d gre bible software but al efforts were abortive,I downloaded 1 recently buh it require password for final installation.I'm really confused rght now.pls ur coments wil highly be appreciated
Re: Preparing for GRE by bigfrancis21: 5:07pm On May 20, 2013
theHanafis: @francis 21 thnk u for d contribution,I wil check d skul later to find out more.
But do u think with a good gre score I will be able to get fellowship assistant or grant? n again I need ur advice on how to ace d gre exams cos I learnt dat eno easy n I'm really really scared n pissed,bin searching n lukin every corner on how to get d gre bible software but al efforts were abortive,I downloaded 1 recently buh it require password for final installation.I'm really confused rght now.pls ur coments wil highly be appreciated

Yes, a good gre score is highly important if you want to obtain financial aid. This is in addition to your undergraduate cgpa and statement of purpose. For research assistantship, having a research experience will definitely boost your chances of getting it.

The GRE is only hard for those who didn't prepare for it. If you prepare well for it, you'll do well in the exam. One thing I'll advice you is never to listen to side talks about any exam. Because the comments from someone about an exam depends on how well the person did. Someone who did well will definitely tell you that the exam is easy, just do this and that and you'll pass. And someone who didn't perform well will give you a thousand and one reasons why the exam is difficult. What were you expecting from him before? Those are not the type of people you should be seeking advice from.

As for acing the exam, I read on my own. I prepared in just one month. It was intensive though. I registered at the state library, went there a couple of times to read. Also did some reading at home as well. I used Grubers 2012 Edition + Barrons 19th Edition books to prepare. All that you need to ace the exam are contained in those books. And I would recommend them if you ask me.

You may not explicitly need the GRE bible book you're trying to get since the book contains list of GRE words which are also contained in GRE preparatory books such as Grubers, Barrons, Kaplans etc.

This thread is not active anymore. If you're a prospective US student, join us on this thread for every information you need:
https://www.nairaland.com/1229483/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part4/79
Re: Preparing for GRE by vandarsar(m): 6:27pm On May 22, 2013
Hi everyone, just gonna announce that, if you ever need to register a cheap toefl, gre and gmat exam, pls don't hesitate to contact me. My email: vandarsar@hotmail.com
Re: Preparing for GRE by acadasol: 3:03pm On May 26, 2013
I am also preparing for GRE General and Chemistry. I want to apply for PhD in Organic Chemistry. My exams are in October and hoping to send applications to 8 Schools by September. Anyone who is also preparing for GRE Chemistry should come on board so we could share ideas. Am using Nova Math Bible, Kaplan, Barron and the Official guild. I am targeting Perfect Score.
Re: Preparing for GRE by FindOut(m): 10:59am On Jul 17, 2013
orgasticdance: Useful thread. My test comes up in just over week. So far i have been using Manhattan and a bit of princeton review and magoosh. I've done about 5 online mock tests from manhattan and one from power prep, my quant scores are quite where i want them to be but my verbal is still relatively low(150-155). I'm applying against spring or fall next year if i miss deadlines. Verbal is just making me depressed, i consider myself pretty well read yet those hard tedious reading comprehension passages just make a mockery of every effort ive made to be a well rounded reader. I'm pressed for time, but does anyone have any practical strategy to help me boost my reading comp techniques going into the exam next week?

Do you have Grubers GRE? If not, send an empty message to selfstudy360@gmail.com. You'll get an instant reply containing GRE materials and Grubers is one of them. The Grubers is quite helpful for Verbal, especially the vocabulary aspect. Above all, keep studying examples and taking sample tests. I wish you all the best.

Cheers.
Re: Preparing for GRE by orgasticdance: 1:27pm On Jul 17, 2013
Find Out!:

Do you have Grubers GRE? If not, send an empty message to selfstudy360@gmail.com. You'll get an instant reply containing GRE materials and Grubers is one of them. The Grubers is quite helpful for Verbal, especially the vocabulary aspect. Above all, keep studying examples and taking sample tests. I wish you all the best.

Cheers.
Thanks
Re: Preparing for GRE by e4emma(m): 4:05pm On Jul 17, 2013
hello guyz! im new on this thread. im looking at taking my GRE test, but im still an under-grad, probably will b thru by november. im in my final yr with a c.g.p.a of 4.41(will b enterin a 1st class grad, yet to c my 1st cmesta result).
just abit confused on which sch 2 choose. im studying Eng.Physics in O.A.U...can one cope with the pressure! and pls has any1 gained admission while still in final yr under grad? pls i need answers.....i dnt want to make mistakes.
10q in anticipation.
Re: Preparing for GRE by orgasticdance: 4:53pm On Jul 17, 2013
^^Yeah this would be the perfect time to sit for the exams, if u have a little time on ur hands 2wks to a month should be enough to prepare for the gre. I don't know of anyone in nigeria who has gained admission while still in school. u may need to wait till your final semester results are out before sending in your transcipts. My guess is u can start the application process by writing the gre exams and sending ur scores to ur prospective schools. U have a solid cgpa, also focus on closing out strong. what programs are u looking at for ur postgrad?
Re: Preparing for GRE by e4emma(m): 11:37pm On Jul 18, 2013
thanks so much for the advice....o.k, guess i will give it a try! pls sir do u knw aw much the processes cost, i mean the form and the books! will rily need help on that....and do u ve a way u can help out?
as per the program, im thinking of anytin in electronics...
look 4ward to hearing 4rm u sir.
Re: Preparing for GRE by FutureDon(m): 8:25pm On Jul 25, 2013
^^^^

The price for the GRE test is currently $185. There are loads of free practice materials on the internet. However, I would suggest that you start by learning about the features of the GRE test itself (i.e. test content & structure).

You can start from here http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/about/content/
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 29, 2013
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 7:59am On Jul 29, 2013
Please I graduated with a 4.49 cgpa in accounting any hope for me to get scholarships in us?I missd first class by .1 which was 2 units
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 8:12am On Jul 29, 2013
tanimola22:

Haya mimi234, you are tired of applying to the big banks cool. hahaha

Okay, in my experience, Canadian institutions normally ask applicants coming from British styled institutions to have a minimum of 2:1. This goes to show that they are kinda familiar with the system. However, the real pains in the ass are the American institutions. Many American schools use this http://www.wes.org/gradeconversionguide/index.asp as a guide to convert British honours system to the 4.00 GPA system. In fact, you may employ the services of the company if you like.

Your 70<Class<100 should translate to nothing less than 3.70/4.00 because a 2:1 itself is equivalent to a 3.5/4.00. Don't ever do something like this 70/100 *4.
If you do so, you will grossly underestimate your achievement.

If I were you, I would put a GPA of[b] 3.89/4.00 [/b]on my CV and then refer any interested enquirer to http://www.wes.org/gradeconversionguide/index.asp. It is as simple as that. In fact, because A=4, you would not be off point if you put 4/4 on your CV. Without any loss of generality, first class honours=A=4 and so you are still on point. But don't do it.

Hope this helps.

Truly yours,
T22.
ma cgpa is 4.49 cgpa
Re: Preparing for GRE by planetshaker: 10:17pm On Aug 27, 2013
Just wanna say a big thank you to the veterans and greats of this thread...wherever they are now. You guys have left a legacy...SEFAGO,cezeozue,superbrain,etc. Thank you so much. If you guys ever read this thread again...please do let us know whats happening to you so we can continue to be motivated. This chat is dying...sorry, died, cos only inquirers were commenting....without any solid responses, like those of 2009, 2010. But, your trails continue to lead. God bless yall
Re: Preparing for GRE by planetshaker: 10:20pm On Aug 27, 2013
@cezeozue....you never told us if you eventually got the funding for MIT. I read through the entire thread in 2hrs just looking for the good news. YOu are an inspiration. I finished frm UNN too and knew you facially.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Xcely: 11:45pm On Aug 27, 2013
planetshaker: Just wanna say a big thank you to the veterans and greats of this thread...wherever they are now. You guys have left a legacy...SEFAGO,cezeozue,superbrain,etc. Thank you so much. If you guys ever read this thread again...please do let us know whats happening to you so we can continue to be motivated. This chat is dying...sorry, died, cos only inquirers were commenting....without any solid responses, like those of 2009, 2010. But, your trails continue to lead. God bless yall

Though I fall under the category of "inquirers", I concur with what you've said. I've been able to get so much info as regards the GRE by just going through the 2010/2011 threads.I am a final year student at a top 10 Nigerian Inst. (precisely the nation's best private Uni.), preparing to apply to the MIT next June. Already taken some ETS official practice tests and wound up an average score of 307. I also know cezeozue, hope you know he now works with google.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Timilehin3(m): 9:09am On Aug 28, 2013
acadasol: I am also preparing for GRE General and Chemistry. I want to apply for PhD in Organic Chemistry. My exams are in October and hoping to send applications to 8 Schools by September. Anyone who is also preparing for GRE Chemistry should come on board so we could share ideas. Am using Nova Math Bible, Kaplan, Barron and the Official guild. I am targeting Perfect Score.
pls can u send ur Gre materials to me @ temitimilehin@yahoo.com
Re: Preparing for GRE by electronic(m): 11:25pm On Aug 28, 2013
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 10:08am On Aug 30, 2013
I recently did my GRE and i have a few tips on improving GRE quant scorescheesy

--download the ets power prep software from the ets gre website and write one of the tests to get a sense of what ur quant level is. Preferably, do the two and average ur scores( i found PP 2 significantly more difficult thats y i suggest doing both and averaging ur scores)
-- what ur score is and ur ambition would determine the amount of prep u put in.
-- if ur score level is low, say in the mid 140s or lower. Your problem would be largely conceptual. For concepts, i think the following books provide the best overview of the math concepts tested on the exam.

-- Manhattan GRE Quant books ( work thru all five or six of them)
--Cliff notes math review for standardized tests
-- ETS quant guide ( Do every problem plus the paper tests)

Once you've had the concepts down pat, u'll need to blast through lots of questions to solidify the concepts in your mind.
-- Manhattan has a book called the 5Lb book of gre practice problems, it has roughly 1000 quant questions. Work through them.
-- If you have a little more time you can work through problems from other quality sources like Kaplan, Nova GRE Bible or Princeton review, but i feel manhattan's problems were adequate.

After u've tuned up your math iq, u'll need to do a bunch of mocks to familiarize urself with the gre test interface. I'm a nervous test taker, and it was essential for me to get this gre thing to a subconscious level. And it's also important for ur mental stamina. The GRE is a 4 hour long adaptive exam that by the time u get to the last section which would be very difficult if u've been doing well, ur mental energy reserves would have been depleted. And questions which on a normal day would have been solveable become hard/trickier. Therefore integrate a good dose of mock practice to ur regimen, may save you come test day. Here are some of the high quality ones in my opinion.

- Magoosh* ( Over 1000 high quality quant and verbal problems) all online downside is it's not cheap. 100 bucks for the premium package cry
- Kaplan there's a cracked code for 5 tests i found floating on the internet. Kaplan quant is very very good
- Princeton Review ( Not hard enough, but fair) There's a cracked code for this as well.
- Manhattan *( 6 tests) Not free, but if u pay for an ecopy of one of their books u get access to all 6 tests.

So there u have it. Quite a truckload of work, but honestly quant is a learnable if u put in the work. Pirated copies of all the resources i listed here are floating around the internet apart from the ones i asterisked. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 14, 2013
Maths Tutor Available for All Maths subjects. Also SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT, JAMB, Aptitude tests for companies. Over 10 years experience. Can work with students from secondary school to University level. Text or call 0708 783 9910. Or email fosibodu@gmail.com
My name is Folarin and you will excel after working with me.
Re: Preparing for GRE by FutureDon(m): 7:45pm On Nov 07, 2013
Only God knows how many times I've read this whole thread, even without ''preparing for GRE''. The information here is priceless, I wish the thread would become more active smiley
Re: Preparing for GRE by planetshaker: 1:33am On Nov 20, 2013
Are pips aware of the latest development concerning ETS reviewing nigerian centers? If u need to write the GRE asap due to looming deadlines, u can write in Ghana. Doesn't take too much to write there
Re: Preparing for GRE by egonwanne: 8:48am On Nov 26, 2013
acadasol: I am also preparing for GRE General and Chemistry. I want to apply for PhD in Organic Chemistry. My exams are in October and hoping to send applications to 8 Schools by September. Anyone who is also preparing for GRE Chemistry should come on board so we could share ideas. Am using Nova Math Bible, Kaplan, Barron and the Official guild. I am targeting Perfect Score.
please am preparing to write GRE next month and I onli av kaplan's GRE..don't knw if u can inbox any of the materials you have ....

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (Reply)

Top 10 Cheapest Universities In Nigeria. / Ekiti State Student Dies In Boyfriend's Hostel In Osun Poly (Graphic Pix, Video) / N3m As Tuition Fees At Children International School, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.