Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,310 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:40 AM

'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' (64628 Views)

My Names Are/is... Which Is Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by paris10: 5:46pm On May 23, 2012
The great lecturer/academician opens the door, saw the topic and hissed. But then he saw some intelligent answers to the question and smiled.

The below posts got it right.

chux76: My name is: Chukwuma Ekwemuka

My names are: Chukwuma Christian Benedict Ekwemuka

I hope the above explains it all.

mustspin: "my name is" when you want to introduce yourself officially with just your 1st and last name but "my names are" when you wanna introduce yourself informally by mentioning all your names and prolly nicks too

Seven (7) naive and olodo n'landers even clicked Like to this awful and unintelligent response below:

12 inches!:
"My name is" appears to be correct. Because we don't put a coma behind each name. For example, "My name is Akinbade Olusola Esther." But if u were to say "My names are" You should put a coma behind each name as there are more than one name. For example, " My names are " Akinbade,Olusola, and Esther" Nobody does that. So it appears incorrect. My 2cents.

Conclusion: Most Africans have more than one first names including a middle name to complement their last name (surname). Westerners tend to have one first name, one middle name and a surname. Middle name in western world is non-existence and do not always apply when addressing an individual. Do also note that your surname is not your name(s), hence, the word surname.

Example: If someone ask of your name, you simply say Mike. But if they do ask after your surname, then you provide it. This always takes the form of a singular noun e.g My name is Mike Nwanchukwu. Only Mike is my name and the other my surname. Therefore Mike is IS. But if Mike should add a second of his first names and then a middle name when introducing himself,it should read: My names are Mike Jonathan Olam'ma Nwanchukwu.

Hope understood you beautiful students of mine

1 Like

Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Emmy3(m): 5:46pm On May 23, 2012

NAME RULES
1) To write your name, use the format:
{firstName} {MiddleName} {Surname}

2) Your Name is usually a combination of ur real name & surname,
ur surname comes last EXCEPT where otherwise indicated.....
3) When asked Your name;
you are expected to say ur first name only!
Except an affix is attached to the 'name'...

I feel disappointed when I hear Nigerian Legislator saying: "My names are:"

1 Like

Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 23, 2012
Em-my:

NAME RULES

3) When asked Your name;

Utter tosh!! Nigerians like to mention all their full names, and using 'is' for a bunch of names is grammatically wrong...

2 Likes

Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by paris10: 5:52pm On May 23, 2012
shymmex: How can a Nigerian say: 'my name is'?? grin grin

Imagine an urhobo man saying my name is: obatsemukoroalopo mukoro oritse olukunmumkinmi grin

A Yoruba man saying my name is : Opeyemi Balogun Ogunjimi Olasupo Oladipupo grin

Or an Igbo man saying my name is: Ojukwu Emekachukwu Ofodile Isinachukwu Idozie grin

'My name is' will never work in the Nigerian context, everything about us defies normal logic...

So, it should be 'My names are' in Nigeria. cool

You are the true child of your parent. You absolutely nailed it. 98%, my rating to your post.

1 Like

Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Nonybb: 5:52pm On May 23, 2012
wales: My Name Na is the correct one !
LMAO

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Yzzey(m): 5:53pm On May 23, 2012
My name is Young C'zar.

1 Like

Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by ryom(m): 5:54pm On May 23, 2012
My name is...
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by paris10: 5:58pm On May 23, 2012
Em-my:

NAME RULES

3) When asked Your name;

You feel ashamed 'cause you do not pay close attention to how they introduced themselves. They always have many names, hence using ARE as to IS.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 23, 2012
"My names are" can never be correct while introducing yourself.

Your name is your identity and you have only one identity.

"My name is" is the same as "I am". It does not matter if you one "middle" name of four. Your name is your identity.

If your first name is Obi, middle name Sule and Surname Taiwo, these are not three different identities, they are the different parts that form your identity. Non of them can exist alone when identifying you. If you say, my name is Obi, you would likely here, Obi who?

"My names are" would be correct if you have double/multiple identities.

Racer is a model of Daewoo car. The complete identity of that car is neither Daewoo nor Racer alone, rather "Daewoo Racer".
So, Daewoo Racer is the name of the car, not names of the car.

I shudder when I hear people commit that blunder.

If you don't have multiple identities, then "my name is" and nothing else.

3 Likes

Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Folanky(m): 6:07pm On May 23, 2012
According 2 english rule, u dont pluralize an abstract(what u cant see,felt or touch)noun.ur name is abstract,so why should u use My names are,it is an aberration 2 d rule of english.

1 Like

Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by davades(m): 6:08pm On May 23, 2012
bandiejay:

lol

Bandiejay saw ur post on travel section,where r u nw ?
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Nobody: 6:11pm On May 23, 2012
Are u people just playing dumb? For goodness sake, name is a 'Collective Noun' on its own. Collective nouns we were taught, need not be put in plural form.

One can rightfully say, My name is 'Okitigbokunde Alex Ajene'.smiley
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Nickydrake(m): 6:12pm On May 23, 2012
My name, if i had agreed to it, would have been... tongue
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by joe4christ(m): 6:19pm On May 23, 2012
[size=15pt] The both are correct, if you doubt my assertion, then google it out yourself! [/size]
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by hakunajay(m): 6:26pm On May 23, 2012
Reference:

That's why you must watch what you feed the kids. With Nollywood running riot, pidgin firmly entrenched in the mass media and schools perpetually on strike, little wonder most people don't even know how to address themselves. My names are ??. As if you are some sort of manufactured product.

lol
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by nagoma(m): 6:29pm On May 23, 2012
My NAMES ARE Barack Obama. Pleased to meet with you my NAMES ARE David Cameron. Can you imagine that?

I am always embarrassed and actually go red in the face when Nigerians say - MY NAMES ARE-- AZZHOL D1CKHED BLA BLA.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Wallie(m): 6:29pm On May 23, 2012
See as how "old" people don turn a simple thing into a science project! shocked Some people even try to differentiate between first names and surnames! Didn't your teachers teach you collective nouns in primary school?

For example, you say:

Crowd of people and NOT crowds of people
Army of ants and NOT armies of ants
A pair of shoes and NOT pairs of shoes
A class of students
A board of directors, etc.

Your "name" is a phrase (more than one word), word, or symbol used to designate you. It is a "container" than includes everything used to designate you. It might contain one word like the Mongolians and Indonesians (they only go by first names) or contain multiple words like most African names. Or your name might just be a symbol like the artist formerly known as Prince.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 23, 2012
My name is.................right, our names are...............right 4 more than one person

1 Like

Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by paris10: 6:37pm On May 23, 2012
noblezone: "My names are" can never be correct while introducing yourself.

Your name is your identity and you have only one identity.

"My name is" is the same as "I am". It does not matter if you one "middle" name of four. Your name is your identity.

If your first name is Obi, middle name Sule and Surname Taiwo, these are not three different identities, they are the different parts that form your identity. Non of them can exist alone when identifying you. If you say, my name is Obi, you would likely here, Obi who?

"My names are" would be correct if you have double/multiple identities.

Racer is a model of Daewoo car. The complete identity of that car is neither Daewoo nor Racer alone, rather "Daewoo Racer".
So, Daewoo Racer is the name of the car, not names of the car.

I shudder when I hear people commit that blunder.

If you don't have multiple identities, then "my name is" and nothing else.

Great lecturer says this dude is another olodo. The subject matter is always the basis of formation of sentence. If subject matter is "My name" then a singular noun of "is" would be the preferred choice. But when the subject matter says "my names" then the modifier "are" is used. Your choice of modifier will always depend on the context of the word or words used.

Primarily, "are" is often used culturally.

Note: Collective nouns cannot be used to modify a sentence when names are being introduced e.g it is grammatically erroneous to collective say my name is John Utaka Ifibio Malubu, but it can still be used to pacify the audience.

Ps: First name, middle name and surname is still pronounced "is" e.g My name isFestus Karma Obama, while 2 first names, middle and surname is pronounced "are" e.g My names are Festus Malu Karma Obama
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by andyanders: 6:58pm On May 23, 2012
It is a wrong English Language to say "my names are" My name is Mr, Green Bell.

Or Our names are, Mr & Mrs Green
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by chucky234(m): 7:10pm On May 23, 2012
For those saying "my names are" is a Nigerian English,all mumu and olodos

British people also make use of the above phrase and thats to say its more appropriate to use "my names are" whenever you add your middle name after your first name.

For those of you who foolishly concluded that name is an entity and a personality,how come you are always provided with option or space that says your "names" or other "names" whenever you are require to fill a form in the bank,offices,hospital and schools.

In summary "my name is" is correct when you say my name is Mike Adeola while "my names are" is correct when you say my names are Badluck Ebele Jona
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by princeparis(m): 7:11pm On May 23, 2012
See people dey advertise ignorance and illiteracy for Nairaland! Why should people believe "my names are" is correct english even when we have six years olds saying the correct thing in their backyard! They who are fathers saying jargons. Wonder what some people teach their young ones. When have you seen an English introduce himself using such foul language. My name is James Edward Tudor III, not my names are James Edward Tudor III. Unless you get Multiple Personality Disorder.!!!
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by sylve11: 7:12pm On May 23, 2012
My names ''were'' sounds more correct to me undecided undecided undecided cool.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Tos87(m): 7:12pm On May 23, 2012
the both have been proven correct by Englissh Scholars.......FULLSTOP.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by ezurus: 7:18pm On May 23, 2012
We are learning, as far as english is concern. No one is perfect, some of us must have been tought that my names are is the correct answer and some other person's teacher can as well say my name is remain the correct. What I want to know is this, is it right using the 2?
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by BaBaMike: 7:28pm On May 23, 2012
ballabriggs: "My names are" sounds Igbotic.

Tru Talk. Lol
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by BaBaMike: 7:36pm On May 23, 2012
When the subject is "my names" which is a plural and therefore "are" is used. If the subject had to be "my name" then "is" would be used because the subject is singular.

1 Like

Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Ohislee(m): 7:40pm On May 23, 2012
In what ever situation you find yourself and you re confused on which of the phrase to use, just say I AM. But out of the two phrase, I would pick, My name is as the correct one, irrespective of the numbers of names you have.
Example: my name is- singular
our names are- plural
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by kingjoe(m): 8:09pm On May 23, 2012
I DONT WHY IT IS DIFFICULT FOR PEOPLE TO TAKE CORRECTIONS,IS IT AS A RESULT OF PRIDE OR UTTER STUPIDITY,A NAME IIS A COLLECTIVE NOUN AND CAN NEVER NEVR NEVER BE IN PLURAL.THE CORRECT PHRASE IS MY NAME IS . NO MANY WORDS ARE IN YOUR NAME
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Omelem(f): 8:10pm On May 23, 2012
abeg oh!'my name is' nt 'my names are'
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by tunde233(m): 8:15pm On May 23, 2012
Since the time the Britons were here,
and we were taught by them. The acceptable
form is MY NAME IS. The invention of MY NAMES ARE
which someone told me is correct
obviously is Nigerian invention.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Nobody: 8:39pm On May 23, 2012
I'm F*cking lost here. Did your teachers not teach some of you here 'collective nouns' or were they calling their lovers in class??
NAME is a collective noun..IN 'plain english' a name is what you call yourself(better still what you were/are called by your parents. For heaven's sake they can be a thousand it is still called NAME. The sum total of whatever you are called.
'My names are' ko....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie Buying Corn By The Roadside In Anambra State / Three Virgins / Caleb (Non-human Fiction) By Safarigirl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.