Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,854 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' (64661 Views)

My Names Are/is... Which Is Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Nobody: 10:13pm On May 23, 2012
Jimmy Boy: My Name is....,Period.

Your name is period? Lmao
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Camola(m): 10:15pm On May 23, 2012
My name is ......... Is the most suitable phrase and ease of use for beginners because names may be million but is refering to a single person.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by mdbissalla(m): 10:17pm On May 23, 2012
name is a collection of element(s) put together to make single set. as such, a single set should be refered as singular not plural. my name is = correct.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by bittyend(m): 10:18pm On May 23, 2012
mdbissalla: name is a collection of element(s) put together to make single set. as such, a single set should be refered as singular not plural. my name is = correct.

Name is singular but is item not singular? But why do people say items?
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by paris10: 10:18pm On May 23, 2012
Final post, get it now or you'll never learn. It's very simple.

Analogy:

* My orange is nice: Here, I am referring to one singular item. My name is John Bramo Utaka (formally referring to myself). Remember formal letters?

* My oranges are nice: Here, I am referring to more than one item or more items. My names are John Tractor Effiong Bramo Utaka (informally referring to myself). What about informal letters?

Depending on your use of English, you could certainly get away with murder.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Nickydrake(m): 10:18pm On May 23, 2012
omodapson:

See analogy, lwkm! You should know the difference between 'figure' and 'number' cool

I think it's a brilliant example. Unless you'd be nice enough to distinguish between 'number' and 'figure' in the context.

You're clearly among those who are confidently asserting that it's right to say 'my names are', which in itself belittles whatever analytical powers you imagine you possess.

1 Like

Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by bittyend(m): 10:19pm On May 23, 2012
English is a bastard language, with latin as its surrogate mother.

Both are correct, but it depends on the context.

Bittyend of Narnia. I'm a narcissist, and I know that. grin

Thank me later. cool
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by chucky234(m): 10:20pm On May 23, 2012
shymmex:

These people may have more than three names, but they use three name officially.. But that's not the case with most Nigerians, we love saying all our names at the same time - just like we love adding gazillion salutations infront of our names..

Normally, it's proper English to say "my name is" - but when you feel the need to say more than one first name or middle name - I think "my names are" should be the right thing...

That's why most people with compound surnames always use a dash to join them together to make it one..

Example: Ashley-Cooper, Chetwynd-Talbot, Douglas-Hamilton

You have to join it to make it one.
Another proper olodo,hyphen dont two names personal names rather it joins two family names to give a single family or surename. Especially when you want your children to have your name as surename but also want to keep your father's name then thats where the hyphen comes in,female celebrities who are already known with their family or surenames before getting married and feel like keeping the name can always use hyphen to join their surenames to their husbands' last name. Simple........
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by chucky234(m): 10:20pm On May 23, 2012
shymmex:

These people may have more than three names, but they use three name officially.. But that's not the case with most Nigerians, we love saying all our names at the same time - just like we love adding gazillion salutations infront of our names..

Normally, it's proper English to say "my name is" - but when you feel the need to say more than one first name or middle name - I think "my names are" should be the right thing...

That's why most people with compound surnames always use a dash to join them together to make it one..

Example: Ashley-Cooper, Chetwynd-Talbot, Douglas-Hamilton

You have to join it to make it one.
like I said earlier its proper to say
My names are when you me mention mord than one name but you be big olodo with that your explanation of compound names,hyphen dont two names personal names rather it joins two family names to give a single family or surename. Especially when you want your children to have your name as surename but also want to keep your father's name then thats where the hyphen comes in,female celebrities who are already known with their family or surenames before getting married and feel like keeping the name can always use hyphen to join their surenames to their husbands' last name. Simple........
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Nobody: 10:23pm On May 23, 2012
chucky234:
Another proper olodo,hyphen dont two names personal names rather it joins two family names to give a single family or surename. Especially when you want your children to have your name as surename but also want to keep your father's name then thats where the hyphen comes in,female celebrities who are already known with their family or surenames before getting married and feel like keeping the name can always use hyphen to join their surenames to their husbands' last name. Simple........

Your spelling skills are atrocious, yet you want to talk about what you don't know lol...

About female celebrities, clown.. People have double barrel names, and it's not just celebrities...

Your surname is meant to be one, and if you feel the need to have gazillion names as your surname - you have to make it one with a dash...
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by paris10: 10:32pm On May 23, 2012
Andro Blaze:

Paris10 I challenge you to bring an excerpt from any of the popular English dictionaries in the world that recognises "my names are" in the context you lot are pushing. As I have proven to Shymex, Nigerians are not the only human beings in the world that are born with more than 3 names.

For the last time, this is an ENGLISH argument, no one is saying my names are is not right in any other culture in this world, but we are speaking English Language here.

And please do not bring any Indian references for me.

You cannot say "This is my name" and mention five names to me. No, those are your names sir! Africans with four or more names can categorically say "These are my names".
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Timijo(m): 10:40pm On May 23, 2012
Wallie: My “name is" is the most correct form even if you want to list your alias because "name" is a collective noun for your person. Your "name" is whatever people call you even if it "Zebrudia Okonkwo 430." The only time I could see using "names" is if you're purposely trying to denote that you have a variety of names that different people know you by.
Wallie: My “name is" is the most correct form even if you want to list your alias because "name" is a collective noun for your person. Your "name" is whatever people call you even if it "Zebrudia Okonkwo 430." The only time I could see using "names" is if you're purposely trying to denote that you have a variety of names that different people know you by.
Name is not a collective noun but a proper noun but "my name is" is the correct one.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by chucky234(m): 10:43pm On May 23, 2012
shymmex:

Your spelling skills are atrocious, yet you want to talk about what you don't know lol...

About female celebrities, clown.. People have double barrel names, and it's not just celebrities...

Your surname is meant to be one, and if you feel the need to have gazillion names as your surname - you have to make it one with a dash...

Your moronic brain,you talk about spelling skills on an informal forum. Shame on you,its a forum and alteration of words are allowed anywhere around the world. Beside I does 100% of my typing on a touch screen phone,be sensible Shamemex(Shymmex)
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by philipstanley(m): 10:52pm On May 23, 2012
My name is.........and......... Is de correct phrase cos ur name is a singular no matter how many names u say i.e ur first name, surname or others are till refering 2 u which u are a singular. Bt in de sense of MY NAMES ARE..... it means ur hav several names and these names are indicated wit a comma e.g my names are John, Moses, Mike etc in dis sense de are not use 4 formal or in public de are normally informal
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by MRADOLUDEHINWA(m): 11:30pm On May 23, 2012
My name is, is correct if the person mention only his or her first name only, cos his/her surname is not his/her own name but a family name, e.g mr name is Oludehinw Akingbade(note that name above has no 's', which mean it is singular). My names are, is correct if the person concern mention his/her first and second besides his/surname, e.g my names are Oludehinwa Akingbade Daniel. (note name above has 's') for more call 08160811916
Uniquexty: Intelligent pals, if u want to introduce urself, do u start with 'my name is....' or 'my names are' drop ur answers and reason
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by logica(m): 11:42pm On May 23, 2012
ballabriggs: "My names are" sounds Igbotic.
LMAO. I honestly don't know who taught the English teachers that started this mess.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by AjanleKoko: 11:45pm On May 23, 2012
My Names Are. Another classic Nigerian phrase. Similar to the equally popular one, Where are you going to grin
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Ghogs(f): 11:46pm On May 23, 2012
My names r Greg Stella Tega or my name is Greg Stella.u use are for more than one name.also "are" does'nt go wit titles Eg my names r Barr. Stella,wrong.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Tinyemeka(m): 12:01am On May 24, 2012
I don't ever bother about the naming ceremony. You shouldn't too. Simply introduce yourself thus: "I am Tinyemeka Gandoki Adedere". QED.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Ardedaryor(m): 12:06am On May 24, 2012
waoooo!!! intrestin reply by wonderful *peeps* but i will rather us MY NAME IS
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by dedeman: 12:50am On May 24, 2012
my name is;proximity concord
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by dedeman: 12:58am On May 24, 2012
chucky234:
like I said earlier its proper to say
My names are when you me mention mord than one name but you be big olodo with that your explanation of compound names,hyphen dont two names personal names rather it joins two family names to give a single family or surename. Especially when you want your children to have your name as surename but also want to keep your father's name then thats where the hyphen comes in,female celebrities who are already known with their family or surenames before getting married and feel like keeping the name can always use hyphen to join their surenames to their husbands' last name. Simple........
d number of name of u're mentionin doesnot really alter d verb. my names are in anyway is not a correct English
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Nobody: 1:35am On May 24, 2012
shymmex: How can a Nigerian say: 'my name is'?? grin grin

Imagine an urhobo man saying my name is: obatsemukoroalopo mukoro oritse olukunmumkinmi grin

A Yoruba man saying my name is : Opeyemi Balogun Ogunjimi Olasupo Oladipupo grin

Or an Igbo man saying my name is: Ojukwu Emekachukwu Ofodile Isinachukwu Idozie grin

'My name is' will never work in the Nigerian context, everything about us defies normal logic...

So, it should be 'My names are' in Nigeria. cool

Well, technically, upon meeting someone you don't bombard them with all your names!
The average individual would just say their first and last and that should suffice.

1 Like

Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Nobody: 1:41am On May 24, 2012
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Nobody: 1:47am On May 24, 2012
"My names are" sounds Igbotic.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Dermie: 1:47am On May 24, 2012
Ma Lame Na, is correct.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Nobody: 2:00am On May 24, 2012
PStylish: Wow!
Its been an interesting discussion.Its just that I didnt expect the thread to go this far.
Its all too simple.
'My name is' will forever be right whether you have 1 or 1000 middlesnames and nicknames.
Even the phrase 'my names are' sounds very irritating to the ear.I have never made the mistake of saying such trash in my life. Maybe Shymmex and co are just arguing for the fun of it in a bid to prolong the thread unnecessrily.
My names are Petr,Onye,Yoruba,ThankGod,Junior & Stylish.Chikena.

When I first saw the thread I didn't expect it to go this far either. It seemed liked such a simple topic and everyone would agree on "My name is" and case closed. But no, Nigerians, we will argue about bread and water if we have to. There're valid points on both sides, which makes it all the more interesting and proves we all reason differently. Context is still everything though.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by SamAfrik(m): 3:58am On May 24, 2012
omodapson:

See analogy, lwkm! You should know the difference between 'figure' and 'number' cool
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by Aringon(m): 4:17am On May 24, 2012
"My name is" is the right grammar as per using it to introduce yourself in a gathering whilst "my names are" could be used in a court of law where you have different names given to you maybe by your father, mother, grandmum oor grand-dad. Eg you could be called Adekunle by your dad,Niyi by your mum, Omo by your grandmum and Wills by your grand-dad. The court will wants all your name listed in case any witness(s) coome(s) to mention any of those names.

It will be very wrong for a sane or educated person to stand up in a meeting, training, seminar and introduce him/herself by saying "my names are"

1 Like

Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by SamAfrik(m): 4:37am On May 24, 2012
Using d e.g of phone no(s): its true we cld say my phone nos are...but only wn u av DIFFERENT numbers, on DIFFERENT networks which are totally DIFFERENT & seperate. Its abt d phones & nt d owner.
So use my 'names are' only if u can b seperated.
Re: 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' by SamAfrik(m): 4:48am On May 24, 2012
^^^ Aringon's explanation sounds logical.
Your name is ur ID and that shd simply carry 'is' and not 'are'.
And av nt heard this gramatical blunder frm other nationalities outside naija.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Fit Be Second Jesus(sex Na Food 2)the Return Of Spana By Youngzubi / Chimamanda Adichie Buying Corn By The Roadside In Anambra State / Three Virgins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.