Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? (15342 Views)

7 Sins That Lead To Self-destruction: Christians Must Avoid. / Curious!! Breastfeeding Inside The Church, Right Or Wrong? / Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by patuwa2(m): 9:29pm On Jun 28, 2012
The major problem we are having is people reading and misinterpreting some crucial materials. Frosbel read the Catholic Cathecism and really misinterpret it. Some others above read the bible and totally misinterpret it to suit their denominations. Let the Words of Christ which says that the sins we forgive they are forgiven and the sins we retain, they are retained, let it remain pls. Its not the fault of the Catholic Church that Luther lost his priesthood. The priest also counsel when we confessed to them. Psychologically, when we confess out our sins to the priest or to one another, we will be free and happy. I dont see reasons why people will be using the words 'paedophile priest' here. Its no respect for God!

1 Like

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by 4evergod3: 9:30pm On Jun 28, 2012
okpurukata: The so called bible believing churches are busy squeezing their congregation for money and fighting openly over headship of their churches. Majority are pure business men. They are in it for what they will get, not to serve God or humanity. The church just beside my house collects all kinds of offering, seed offering, testimony offering, consultancy, tithe, general offering. At times when they call for offerings no one gets up again. Meanwhile the woman owner has suddenly grown in status.
How many of them can go to the villages and establish churches and truly do the work of God? Very few. That is why God will forever remain with the catholic chuch.
Love them, Hate them, they continue to spread (their own version of) the message of salvation. Shalom.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by okpurukata(f): 9:41pm On Jun 28, 2012
@forevergod3: what do you have to say about the latest divorce of Pastor Chris Okotie and his injunction that it shall not be discussed? Bible knowing and believing churches i indeed. BY THEIR FRUITS W E SHALL KNOW THEM. My brother God cannot be mocked.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by okpurukata(f): 9:50pm On Jun 28, 2012
Jesus himself told us that the greatest commandment is Love. How many times did he say your brother should offend you before you revenge? Answer by yourself. But what do your pastor preach, fire fire fire fire fire, bind bind bind. Bind. Fire fire fire fire fire fire .... MOST OF THE SO CALLED BIBLE BELIEVING CHURCHES DO NOT PREACH LOVE. There is no love for your neighbor as long as he is not worshipping in your church. I visited Rome last year and guess my biggest surprise?most of the people doing business at the Vatican are Muslims, Hindi, Budhists. I askedWHY? Our vatican guide said, in the words of the pope, The body of Christ ( the church) is for all people. Can that happen at Winners? Redemption camp? Even at Jehovah witness camp? The answer is NEVER.

Let us remove the log in our own eyes before removing the speck from another man's eye. This is my final word here.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by 4evergod3: 9:59pm On Jun 28, 2012
okpurukata: @forevergod3: what do you have to say about the latest divorce of Pastor Chris Okotie and his injunction that it shall not be discussed? Bible knowing and believing churches i indeed. BY THEIR FRUITS W E SHALL KNOW THEM. My brother God cannot be mocked.

My response to your above statement is what Jesus said in John 10:27 "My sheep hear my voice, I know them and they follow me". I will try to be the better person by not asking you a question in return. Otherwise I would have asked about what you thought about the rampant cases of pedophilia among catholic priests and members of the roman catholic order. And if you want instances i have so so many ranging from 1960 to 2011. Do you know that statistics state that 10% of Catholic priests were pedo..philes and still counting, 20 to 200 times more than general population.
The number of pedo..phile priests found so far in the U.S. Catholic Church is "extrapolated" to be as high as 10,969 according to Bishop Accountabillity.org, and they are still counting.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by 4evergod3: 10:05pm On Jun 28, 2012
okpurukata: Jesus himself told us that the greatest commandment is Love. How many times did he say your brother should offend you before you revenge? Answer by yourself. But what do your pastor preach, fire fire fire fire fire, bind bind bind. Bind. Fire fire fire fire fire fire .... MOST OF THE SO CALLED BIBLE BELIEVING CHURCHES DO NOT PREACH LOVE. There is no love for your neighbor as long as he is not worshipping in your church. I visited Rome last year and guess my biggest surprise?most of the people doing business at the Vatican are Muslims, Hindi, Budhists. I askedWHY? Our vatican guide said, in the words of the pope, The body of Christ ( the church) is for all people. Can that happen at Winners? Redemption camp? Even at Jehovah witness camp? The answer is NEVER.

Let us remove the log in our own eyes before removing the speck from another man's eye. This is my final word here.

Lady when you want to go deep and acquire knowledge pls pls pls do let me know and by the grace of God you shall receive knowledge. Please stop trying too hard to start an argument which you cannot defend. You are only beating the air.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by 4evergod3: 10:14pm On Jun 28, 2012
@okpurukata

The percentage of paedophiles amongst clergymen in Ireland is thirty times higher than the percentage of paedophiles amongst the common people

The number of paedophiles among priests in Australia is 200 times the percentage of paedophiles in the secular population.

Can you pick the real number of those sexually abused by Catholic clergy in Australia?

15,227 or 110,007 or 145,549 or 62,243 or 130,137 or 33,681?

ANSWER: 130,137

Now ask me about Pastor Chris again.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by jify(f): 10:26pm On Jun 28, 2012
Everyone is trying 2 defend denomination n not d church (whole body of people who believe in Christ). But what if u get 2 heaven and it turned out dt u were wrong all along. For those of you tryin 2 defend ur pastor n ur pope remember that there is a possibility that their interpretation could be wrong. Let us forget about our pastors n our pope n focus on Christ. At d end of life, it is our relationship with Jesus that will count, not d practices as taught by our denominations; but if we had Jesus truly living in our hearts all along. Let us focus on true christianity which is not about church but life style n relationship. May God bless us all (christians, irrespective of which denomination you attend) AMEN
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by mollie12: 11:14pm On Jun 28, 2012
I've just been reading comments and I'm so weak.

So Catholics actually open and read their bibles shocked Wow. How someone can see how antichrist their religious system is and still remain in it is a HUGE mystery for me.

Catholics, just face up to the facts - a lot of your doctrines are highly unbiblical. And stop trying to point out specks in other denominations - every Christian with his/her brain rightly screwed on knows the churchworld is in a big mess. But your denomination will have to take the greatest blame because its been around the longest.

For those smirking about the bible being in the charge of the RCC and other christians having to feed on their dirt, well I'll let you know God is powerful enough to keep His Word pure and preserved- even in the care of corrupt persons. Before Christ came, the Israelites, and the books of the Old Testament by extension, were captured and put under the control of Babylonians, Assyrians (I think) and Grecians. Yet when Jesus Christ came he freely made reference to these texts, giving us a clear sign that they were still intact.

Catholics, my heart bleeds for you all! I was part of that system for a short period of time, but even as a child (which I was then) a lot of things didn't add up scripturally for me and I left. Its not about who's wrong or right - practically every denomination has its own shred of CRAZY, but having it SO entrenched and going as far as to use eternity to back it up (saying the rest of us are LOST) is just too much! And this is not exonerating the other churches. Especially Pentecostals - a lot of you guys need Jesus - the real one! Please lay off all the foolishness masquerading as spirituality in your congregations.

Please, just please, make up your mind to love God - love Him more than anything else - and let Him lead you in His truth. Human understanding will so fail you - you can whip up all the historical texts you want to prove that you guys are the real deal (and you'll probably have an edge there since the system is so old) but if God says its not of Him, it simply isn't. And its best to make that discovery on this side of eternity. God bless.

2 Likes

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jun 28, 2012
Fr0sbel: Regarding the forgiveness of sins, two critical doctrines must be examined. First, all sins must be confessed to a priest:

"One who desires to obtain reconciliation with God and with the Church, must confess to a priest all the unconfessed grave sins he remembers after having carefully examined his conscience." Pg. 374, #1493

"Confession to a priest is an essential part of the sacrament of Penance:" Pg. 365, #1456

"It is called the sacrament of confession, since the disclosure or confession of sins to a priest is an essential element of this sacrament. Pg. 357, #1424 (See also Pg. 374, #1493).

Catholicism orders members to confess their sins to a man, but the Bible reveals that those who have been born into God's family can go straight to God's throne to receive forgiveness for their sins:

"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. " Psalm 32:5

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

David confessed his sins to God when he prayed:

"Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me." Psalm 51:2-3

Here is why true Christians have access to God' s throne:

"Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus..." Hebrews 10:19

Because of the sinless blood that Jesus Christ shed on the cross, we have the authority to go straight to the throne of God for forgiveness.

The "first pope's" example

In the book of Acts, a man named Simon came to the alleged first pope, Peter, wanting to buy the power of the Holy Spirit. How did Peter respond to this sin? Did he suggest that Simon make a confession to him right there? No, Peter told him to repent and confess his sin to God and ask God to forgive him. (See Acts 8:18-22).

Can priests forgive sins?

The second part of this doctrine suggests that Catholic priests have the power to forgive sins:

"Only priests who have received the faculty of absolving from the authority of the Church can forgive sins in the name of Christ." Pg. 374, #1495 (See also Pg. 364 #1448 )

Here, too, Catholic doctrine opposes God's Word:

"Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only[/b]?" [b]Mark 2:7

Catholicism teaches that the priest is a mediator between God and man. (See Pg. 365, #1456). But the Bible recognizes only one mediator:

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;" 1 Timothy 2:5

Once again, the Catechism admits that these are not instructions from God, but traditions of men:

"The Fathers of the Church present this sacrament as the second plank [of salvation]..." Pg. 363 #1446

More bondage

"According to the Church's command, 'after having attained the age of discretion, each of the faithful is bound by an obligation faithfully to confess serious sins at least once a year.'" Pg. 365, #1457 (Emphasis author's)

There is that word "bound" again. The Church Fathers created another tradition which keeps people in bondage to the Catholic church.

What a powerful weapon to use against Catholics around the world. In essence, this doctrine says that if you leave the Catholic church, you will not be able to obtain forgiveness for your sins, which means you won't go to heaven.

Please remember, none of this came from God! These are all man-made threats. May God open your spiritual eyes and give you understanding, so that you may see the depth of the bondage this religion holds you in. May God show you that you don't have to be held captive to this religion any longer. Jesus Christ wants to set you free.

Conclusion

Millions of faithful Catholics blindly file into confessional booths, believing that the priest has the power to forgive their sins.

What about you? Where will you go to have your sins forgiven? To a sinful priest, as the man-made traditions of the Catholic church demand?

Or will you go straight to God Almighty, as the Bible teaches?

"Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD. Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications. If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand? But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared." Psalm 130:1-4

Source
What "spiritual eyes"?
1. Where u qouted David, was it new/old testament?
2. Who brought u d bible(esp new testament?) Is it u or Catholics
3. Its not by force, besides it for Catholics only, so ure "free" 2bring up ya own. Y bother 2 "convert" catholics? Go convert BH, they're not even christians
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by ceexcel(m): 11:51pm On Jun 28, 2012
For all those modafuckers! Live & Let live... LIVE D CATHOLICS ALONE! no need 4 arguements, every religion will see heaven, be it CHRISTIANITY, ISLAMIC, BUDHAISM, TRADITIONAL, etc, if it believes and practiceses LOVE.... REMEMBER GOD CREATED EACH AND EVERYONE OF US. with love we can make this world a better place. : Let LOVE lead d way.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jun 28, 2012
ceexcel: For all those modafuckers! Live & Let live... LIVE D CATHOLICS ALONE! no need 4 arguements, every religion will see heaven, be it CHRISTIANITY, ISLAMIC, BUDHAISM, TRADITIONAL, etc, if it believes and practiceses LOVE.... REMEMBER GOD CREATED EACH AND EVERYONE OF US. with love we can make this world a better place. : Let LOVE lead d way.

Wrong !!
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jun 28, 2012
4evergod3:

My response to your above statement is what Jesus said in John 10:27 "My sheep hear my voice, I know them and they follow me". I will try to be the better person by not asking you a question in return. Otherwise I would have asked about what you thought about the rampant cases of pedophilia among catholic priests and members of the roman catholic order. And if you want instances i have so so many ranging from 1960 to 2011. Do you know that statistics state that 10% of Catholic priests were pedo..philes and still counting, 20 to 200 times more than general population.
The number of pedo..phile priests found so far in the U.S. Catholic Church is "extrapolated" to be as high as 10,969 according to Bishop Accountabillity.org, and they are still counting.

Well said. But unfortunately pedo is not what defines d Catholic Church, so u can focus on it all u want. D les n homo being practicesed round world 2day nkor? Or don't u read abt it? D bible u so like 2 qoute who brought it 2u? Was it Deeper life/Redeem/PastorChris?. U only throw stones @ a three wit fruits
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by chris51(f): 12:05am On Jun 29, 2012
Priests are sworn to secrecy & your secrets are safe, unlike telling a friend who will later betray you
The Priest prays with you & gives you relevant portion of the bible to read
This begins your healing process & you are mentally relieved
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 4:54am On Jun 29, 2012
[/quote]For those who are wondering how i could possibly know so much. I give the glory to God as a bible scholar and historian and also a bible school faithful I have access to these information.

(Quote) (Report) (Like) [quote]

My man you know absolutely nothing.Almost everything you posted here I have read before in Jack Chick's anti-catholic website.You only did copy and paste and didn't even bother editing.

You know absolutely nothing about the history of the bible.Here you are saying the old testament was concluded in 400BC.dat is absolutely ridiculous.

FYI the total number of scriptural writings that existed are not even known.Even the some of the canonised goes ahead to quote and refer you to some uncanonised and lost books like the books of enock,jasher,nathan e.t.c.

There was nothing like old or new testament in those days.The word testament was first used by Tertullian in the second century CE before it ended up being adopted by the church.The bible then did not exist as one document but rather as seperate independent scriptures.

The present jewish canon was only adopted in 100 CE @ the council of jamnia.There only decided to create a canon be cause of the arrival of the new christian faith.By so doing the adopted the 39 books that are in todays protestant canon denouncing Jesus and the entire NT.It must thus be noted that these council was jewish not christian.The christian councils that decided the books of the bible were the synod of hippo in 393CE and council of carthage 397CE.These councils approved the 46 books in the catholic OT and 27 books in the xtian NT.what the protestants are using today is a ybrid canon I.e a combination of the jewish canon and the catholic NT.
Mind you the council of jamnia did not believe in Jesus and thus had no input from the oly spirit
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by xynerise: 5:50am On Jun 29, 2012
@op. Read romans 20vs21
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by okpurukata(f): 7:20am On Jun 29, 2012
If only all the bible quoting and knowledge can improve the situation of things in our country. Corruption is at its highest. Sabotage, personal aggrandizement, back biting, ethnic ism, etc. no matter how religious we are, if it does not impact positively on the world and on others around us, believe me it is all balder dash.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by okpurukata(f): 7:32am On Jun 29, 2012
I charge you Frosbel and the other guy 4revergod3 to make conscious effort next month to convert one Muslim each or even one traditionalist each. At least you must have added to God's kingdom. LEAVE THE CATHOLICS ALONE. We did not cause your current problems. Focus n making your church and yourself better. I pray we all make heaven finally, which is the ultimate.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by lastpage: 7:51am On Jun 29, 2012
......and who will the "ar.se-hole phucking" Priest confess to? shocked shocked

"Mugun" jam "Asan-man"! grin grin grin

Lastpage
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by mapet: 8:19am On Jun 29, 2012
@ Frosbel,

You've simple starterd and gone about this debate the wrong way. I'm not too sure a direct condemnation of another demonination's practices will serve any good; at least it wont even make them accept your stand. I am not Catholic anyways and I believe we non-catholics, even with our contrarian/non-chatholic beliefs, should either hold on to what we believe or engage in matured debates. This is not a debate to me.......

Many new generation churches have been guilty of condeming other denominations from half baked knowledge. If you traced the path of what has been leading to the church continous splitting, it's seems fast becoming people wanting to move their agenda under the guise of the "call". These people teach half-baked and not well researched doctrines to their flock who comes to flaunt blurred knowledge and views.

Check this;

1.You tell a Muslim to his face that "Allah" is not the way but Jesus....... will that make him drop on his knees and confess, even if you show him all the scriptures of "...no one comes to the father except by me"?
2. You tell a Catholic they worship Mary, yet the continous sounds of "Hail Marys" fill their prayer in the world
Lesson; Doctrine is very sensitive and you don't just jump into arguments on them.......

For me, my tots are these
1. I know whom and what I believe. I learn more of what I believe about him, I hope to become a scholar in my beliefs, I graciously share my when he leads me to...
2. Did you watch how Billy Graham handled Larry King's question on CNN when he put him on the spot on "If Muslims are going to heaven or hell?"....It was wisdom...big wisdom
3. I advise that it's better to continue to study to show yourself approved......lest you jump into unnecessary cross fire

1 Like

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by jamp: 9:28am On Jun 29, 2012
[size=14pt]I HAVE SAID IT BEFORE THIS ARGUMENT WILL NOT TAKE US ANYWHERE.

DO WE HAVE CATHOLICS TURN PROTESTANT OR PROTESTANT TURN CATHOLIC COS OF THIS ARGUMENT?

PLS CLOSE THREAD IMMEDIATELY
[/size]
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by italo: 11:46am On Jun 29, 2012
2000+ years of argument, hatred, persecution...

But we keep going, "the gates of hell will not prevail against us."
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jun 29, 2012
italo: 2000+ years of argument, hatred, persecution...

But we keep going, "the gates of hell will not prevail against us."

It's actually the gates of Hades , not gates of Hell grin

By the way Bro, the gates of death and the grave ( Hades <Hell> ) will not prevail against you and me when we believe in Jesus, we will be raised on the last day , this is what it means.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by davestead(m): 1:23pm On Jun 29, 2012
4evergod3:

And what to you is the right thing. Isnt the right thing telling the truth? isnt the right thing saving your brother or sister who is lost? isnt the right thing opening the eyes of the blind [both physical and spiritual]? Please i pray you kindly tell me what is your idea of "do the right thing" Or perhaps your idea of doing the right thing is for everyone to do what he or she feels is right and not what God says is right.
And who told you that WE are lost and needed to be saved? You better remove the plank in your eyes before looking for a speck in another person's eyes. One thing is clear, once the protestants starts to criticize other churches and they dont start from the catholic church, then they've not started. Why not leave us alone and worship your God in your own way? Hypocrites.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by blessed4ril(f): 3:26pm On Jun 29, 2012
roqchiq: Its always advisable to avoid religious debates,however if you say WE catholics blindly file into a confession booth,based on tradition,and aganist the teachings of the bible,then i'll please remind you that this bible is a compilation of books,approved by the same catholics. They choose the books,what stopped them from slipping in a book that supported their traditions and doctrines? Have you ever wondered about that?
Faith is the strongest thing ever,the early christians didn't have the bible yet they managed to somehow get their acts together,all by faith.
If you don't believe in going to confession,then please don't,WE catholics are not advertising for followers,WE are not dangling any carrots in front of the world.
I am not going to quote any passages written by apostles of Jesus Christ to convince you. Personally,I always wondered why the early catholics let the 'Bible' out of their grasp,look at all the trouble that caused.just about anybody and everybody believes they can read and interpret the Bible.
Look beyond catholicism,islam,or whatever,to faith,love,peace, to the Creator,who is omniscient,omnipresence, let others be your mirror,be good inside more than outside, and remember that this world was here before you,and we all will eventually answer to our creator and there are things that can never be explained,that should never be explained,because any attempt to explain it would tear the very fabric of life as we (think) know it.
Finally,everybody keeps opposing WE catholics, and saying we're doing things the wrong way,but I strongly believe you'll be shocked if the ''real truth'' were to be told.infact the whole world would be plunged into some serious anarchy,because your very foundation will be ripped out from under u. So,be careful what you wish for.
. Well said my dear!
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by elampiro(m): 4:02pm On Jun 29, 2012
Mathew 16:17-19. ''Behold you are Peter, upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, whatever you bind on earth is bound in heaven. Whatever you loose on earth is loosed in heaven.'' This is the authority of the Catholic church and the Pope. Here the Catholic church is bestowed extended authority far beyond the scripture. The Catholic church assembled the bible to serve as a guide. According to the bible, Jesus did many things that were not recorded. Some of them formed the tradition the tradition of the church as carried on from century to century till Lurther rebelled after more than 1,500 years of existense of the Catholic church. The Vatican city is seating on the grave of apostle Peter. The gate of hell will not prevail; heresies will come and go, errors and false prophets will come and go but the Catholic church will always hold firm.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by davestead(m): 4:08pm On Jun 29, 2012
mollie12: I've just been reading comments and I'm so weak.

So Catholics actually open and read their bibles shocked Wow. How someone can see how antichrist and satanic their religious system is and still remain in it is a HUGE mystery for me.

Catholics, just face up to the facts - a lot of your doctrines are highly unbiblical. And stop trying to point out specks in other denominations - every Christian with his/her brain rightly screwed on knows the churchworld is in a big mess. But your denomination will have to take the greatest blame because its been around the longest.

For those smirking about the bible being in the charge of the RCC and other christians having to feed on their dirt, well I'll let you know God is powerful enough to keep His Word pure and preserved- even in the care of corrupt persons. Before Christ came, the Israelites, and the books of the Old Testament by extension, were captured and put under the control of Babylonians, Assyrians (I think) and Grecians. Yet when Jesus Christ came he freely made reference to these texts, giving us a clear sign that they were still intact.

Catholics, my heart bleeds for you all! I was part of that system for a short period of time, but even as a child (which I was then) a lot of things didn't add up scripturally for me and I left. Its not about who's wrong or right - practically every denomination has its own shred of CRAZY, but having it SO entrenched and going as far as to use eternity to back it up (saying the rest of us are LOST) is just too much! And this is not exonerating the other churches. Especially Pentecostals - a lot of you guys need Jesus - the real one! Please lay off all the foolishness masquerading as spirituality in your congregations.

Please, just please, make up your mind to love God - love Him more than anything else - and let Him lead you in His truth. Human understanding will so fail you - you can whip up all the historical texts you want to prove that you guys are the real deal (and you'll probably have an edge there since the system is so old) but if God says its not of Him, it simply isn't. And its best to make that discovery on this side of eternity. God bless.
You actually started making up excuses as to why you left your faith by calling the CATHOLIC church satanic and antichrist. Who gave you the right to judge? You must be a hypocrite. Most of the things you mentioned here at the initial state didn't make sense at all. Why? Because you were trying to give excuse as to why you are no longer a catholic. You left because you couldn't defend your faith, there is no excuse about that and not because of all the mumbo jumbo you mentioned earlier. People should not speak of what of they dont know about. Even the lots of you that quote the Catholic Catchism doesn't understand it one bit yet they go on adding to their ignorance. Please dont pity me cos I know what am doing and am worshipping my God the way it seems right to me, if you dont agree, then it's your loss not mine.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by davestead(m): 4:10pm On Jun 29, 2012
mollie12: I've just been reading comments and I'm so weak.

So Catholics actually open and read their bibles shocked Wow. How someone can see how antichrist and satanic their religious system is and still remain in it is a HUGE mystery for me.

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by 4evergod3: 5:04pm On Jun 29, 2012
elampiro: Mathew 16:17-19. ''Behold you are Peter, upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, whatever you bind on earth is bound in heaven. Whatever you loose on earth is loosed in heaven.'' This is the authority of the Catholic church and the Pope. Here the Catholic church is bestowed extended authority far beyond the scripture. The Catholic church assembled the bible to serve as a guide. According to the bible, Jesus did many things that were not recorded. Some of them formed the tradition the tradition of the church as carried on from century to century till Lurther rebelled after more than 1,500 years of existense of the Catholic church. The Vatican city is seating on the grave of apostle Peter. The gate of hell will not prevail; heresies will come and go, errors and false prophets will come and go but the Catholic church will always hold firm.

YOU ARE MISGUIDED! THIS IS THE SCRIPTURE IN ITS TRUE LIGHT.

[b]Then Jesus answered Peter:

"... thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." Matthew 16:18

Catholicism contends that the Lord was referring to Peter as the rock, and has since built the entire Catholic religion upon that premise. But all other pertinent Scriptures declare that Jesus was referring to Himself as the rock, not Peter:

"... for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ." 1 Corinthians 10:4

Jesus is not only the rock, He is the chief cornerstone of the church:

"And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;" Ephesians 2:20

Back in the Old Testament, it was prophesied that Jesus, whom men rejected, would become the cornerstone of the church:

"The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner." Psalm 118:22

Even Peter, allegedly the first pope, confesses that Jesus Christ is the cornerstone of the church:

"...by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth... This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner." Acts 4:10-11

"... the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner," 1 Peter 2:7

According to Scriptures, Peter is NOT the rock:

"For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God?" Psalm 18:31

"... I will publish the name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God. He is the Rock..." Deuteronomy 32:3-4

"Truly my soul waiteth upon God... He only is my rock..." Psalm 62:1-2

"But the LORD is my defence; and my God is the rock of my refuge." Psalm 94:22

Who is the head of the church

Despite all these Scriptures, Catholicism still claims that Peter was the rock and his successors are the head of the church:

"The sole Church of Christ (is that) which our Savior, after his Resurrection, entrusted to Peter's pastoral care, commissioning him and the other apostles to extend and rule it... This Church, constituted and organized as a society in the present world, subsists in (subsistit in) the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successors of Peter and by the bishops in communion with him."

But the Bible declares that Jesus Christ, not Peter or his successors, is the head of the church:

"And he (Christ) is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he (Christ) might have the preeminence." Colossians 1:18

"And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him (Christ) to be the head over all things to the church," Ephesians 1:22

"But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:" Ephesians 4:15

The biblical "church"

When the Bible uses the words "the church," it always refers to all those who trust in Jesus Christ alone for salvation, not just to members of the Catholic church:

"Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord..." 1 Corinthians 1:2

The Apostle Paul wrote:

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;" Ephesians 5:25

Paul was not a Catholic, yet he knew that Christ loved him and died for him. Certainly, no one would dare say that Paul was not a Christian because he was not a Catholic.

Would anyone suggest that God only loves Catholics?... or that He only died for Catholics? Such would be the case if the Catholic church was the only church.

Paul also proclaimed:

"And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us..." Ephesians 5:2

Can non-Catholics be Christians?

As the "one true church," Catholicism claims the right to determine who is or is not a Christian:

"All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church.

In other words, if you have not been baptized into the Catholic church, you are not a Christian. These are not my words, but the words of the official Catholic Catechism.

But according to Scripture, it doesn't matter if the Catholic church has accepted you or not. If your faith is in Jesus Christ alone, then He has already accepted you:

"To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he (Jesus) hath made us accepted in the beloved." Ephesians 1:6

Conclusion

At this point, you must make a few decisions:

Is Peter really the rock? The Catechism says he is, but God's Word says he is not.
Is the Catholic church the one true church? The Catechism says yes, but the Bible says no.
Do you really believe that all non-Catholics will burn in hell?
Once again, the answers to each of these questions will be determined by which you choose to believe... the traditions of men, or God's Word. Jesus asked the Pharisees a question which all Roman Catholics should ponder:

"Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?" Matthew 15:3[/b]
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jun 29, 2012
4evergod3:

"... thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." Matthew 16:18

Catholicism contends that the Lord was refer
ring to Peter as the rock, and has since built the entire Catholic religion upon that premise. But all other pertinent Scriptures declare that Jesus was referring to Himself as the rock, not Peter:

"... for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ." 1 Corinthians 10:4

"And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;" Ephesians 2:20

Back in the Old Testament, it was prophesied that Jesus, whom men rejected, would become the cornerstone of the church:

"The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner." Psalm 118:22

Even Peter, allegedly the first pope, confesses that Jesus Christ is the cornerstone of the church:

"...by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth... This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner." Acts 4:10-11

"... the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner," 1 Peter 2:7

"... I will publish the name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God. He is the Rock..." Deuteronomy 32:3-4

Despite all these Scriptures, Catholicism still claims that Peter was the rock and his successors are the head of the church:

"The sole Church of Christ (is that) which our Savior, after his Resurrection, entrusted to Peter's pastoral care, commissioning him and the other apostles to extend and rule it... This Church, constituted and organized as a society in the present world, subsists in (subsistit in) the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successors of Peter and by the bishops in communion with him."

But the Bible declares that Jesus Christ, not Peter or his successors, is the head of the church:

"And he (Christ) is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he (Christ) might have the preeminence." Colossians 1:18

"And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him (Christ) to be the head over all things to the church," Ephesians 1:22

"But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:" Ephesians 4:15

The biblical "church"

When the Bible uses the words "the church," it always refers to all those who trust in Jesus Christ alone for salvation, not just to members of the Catholic church:

"Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord..." 1 Corinthians 1:2

The Apostle Paul wrote:

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;" Ephesians 5:25

Paul was not a Catholic, yet he knew that Christ loved him and died for him. Certainly, no one would dare say that Paul was not a Christian because he was not a Catholic.

Would anyone suggest that God only loves Catholics?... or that He only died for Catholics? Such would be the case if the Catholic church was the only church.

Paul also proclaimed:

"And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us..." Ephesians 5:2

As the "one true church," Catholicism claims the right to determine who is or is not a Christian:

"All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church.

In other words, if you have not been baptized into the Catholic church, you are not a Christian. These are not my words, but the words of the official Catholic Catechism.

But according to Scripture, it doesn't matter if the Catholic church has accepted you or not. If your faith is in Jesus Christ alone, then He has already accepted you:

"To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he (Jesus) hath made us accepted in the beloved." Ephesians 1:6

Conclusion

Is Peter really the rock? The Catechism says he is, but God's Word says he is not.
Is the Catholic church the one true church? The Catechism says yes, but the Bible says no.
Once again, the answers to each of these questions will be determined by which you choose to believe... the traditions of men, or God's Word. Jesus asked the Pharisees a question which all Roman Catholics should ponder:

"Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?" Matthew 15:3[/b]

Another copy and paste from jack cick's website.Can't you ever make up your own rebuttal?it appears you are very intellectually hollow and merely regurgitates gibberish you read on the internet.

Now Peter's name was originally Simon but Jesus changed his name to Peter which means rock.Jesus's portrayal as the chief cornerstone does not in any way vitiate peter's position.Besides all those bible passages you copied from jack chick's website has got nothing to do with mattew 18 other than the mention of the term "rock".

Jesus before he ascended to heaven formally handed over the care of his sheep to st Peter.In the gospel of John ,he thrice asked him to take care of his flock.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jun 29, 2012
4evergod3:

ring to Peter as the rock, and has since built the entire Catholic religion upon that premise. But all other pertinent Scriptures declare that Jesus was referring to Himself as the rock, not Peter:

The biblical "church"

The Apostle Paul wrote:

Paul also proclaimed:

Conclusion

Another copy and paste from jack cick's website.Can't you ever make up your own rebuttal?it appears you are very intellectually hollow and merely regurgitates gibberish you read on the internet.

Now Peter's name was originally Simon but Jesus changed his name to Peter which means rock.Jesus's portrayal as the chief cornerstone does not in any way vitiate peter's position.Besides all those bible passages you copied from jack chick's website has got nothing to do with mattew 18 other than the mention of the term "rock".

Jesus before he ascended to heaven formally handed over the care of his sheep to st Peter.In the gospel of John ,he thrice asked him to take care of his flock.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jun 29, 2012
4evergod3:

The biblical "church"

The Apostle Paul wrote:

Paul also proclaimed:

Conclusion

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"Ephraim Ononye Heals A Lady With Sickle Cell, Changes Genotype From SS To AA" / We Won't Resign, Pastor Iluyomade, Wife Tell Pastor Adeboye / Is It True? Churches Asking You To Surrender Your Entire January Salary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.