Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,269 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? (15338 Views)

7 Sins That Lead To Self-destruction: Christians Must Avoid. / Curious!! Breastfeeding Inside The Church, Right Or Wrong? / Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by ocelot2006(m): 2:25pm On Jun 28, 2012
ijawkid: Why do they even have priests in d 1st place

Why then did Jesus die if priests will still be needed??

Jesus is now high priest but d catholics still insist they must still have priests.....

I don't blame them........

If Jesus is now almighty God then I think he needs a priest to mediate between man and Him,,,.....................

Now that is silly question.

Why do Protestant churches need pastors?
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Gabrielsylar(m): 2:27pm On Jun 28, 2012
Catholic are the most confused ppke on earth...my ex was a catholic...due to love I use to follow her to st.catholic church...but during communion she won't take...if I ask her why she will say “she has some sins to confess“ haba...my babe can't even tell me ehat she did wrong....I was pissed off...that what kind of sin is dat?well I will let go...later @ nite she will grab my johnson and feed on it like a vampire....then on friday she will go for confession and come back and feed again...on my lollypop..I will scream for pleasure amd tell her “go and confess so we can continue“...later I saw my self in hellfire and has to run to the true God for repentance..and sent her as.s packing....now am free....
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by 4evergod3: 2:28pm On Jun 28, 2012
4evergod3: The answer to all this in the study of the word of God. The bible clearly answers this question. The issue now is if Catholics [who are the reason for this topic] actually study the bible in the true light.

HEBREWS CHAPTER 4 BELOW ANSWERS THIS QUESTION.

1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

[b]8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.

15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

[/b]

This clearly states that every child of God now has direct access to God without any human mediator. The one and only mediator is Christ as he is and has always been the one who was tested in every way and was yet without sin

2 Likes

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jun 28, 2012
4evergod3:

This clearly states that every child of God now has direct access to God without any human mediator. The one and only mediator is Christ as he is and has always been the one who was tested in every way and was yet without sin

5 stars !!!

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jun 28, 2012
Omo see Anti-Christ you just one cause trouble do ur own leave other people alone
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Dranatomy: 2:36pm On Jun 28, 2012
It depends on the degree of your sin...
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Francuiz: 2:38pm On Jun 28, 2012
italo: Jesus Christ Granted the Apostles His Authority to Forgive Sins

John 20:21 - before He grants them the authority to forgive sins, Jesus says to the apostles, "as the Father sent me, so I send you." As Christ was sent by the Father to forgive sins, so Christ sends the apostles and their successors to forgive sins.

John 20:22 - the Lord "breathes" on the apostles, and then gives them the power to forgive and retain sins. The only other moment in Scripture where God breathes on man is in Gen. 2:7, when the Lord "breathes" divine life into man. When this happens, a significant transformation takes place.

John 20:23 - Jesus says, "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven. If you retain the sins of any, they are retained." In order for the apostles to exercise this gift of forgiving sins, the penitents must orally confess their sins to them because the apostles are not mind readers. The text makes this very clear.

Matt. 9:8 - this verse shows that God has given the authority to forgive sins to "men." Hence, whoever acknowledges that the apostles had the authority to forgive sins (which this verse demonstrates) must prove that this gift ended with the apostles. Otherwise, the apostles' successors still possess this gift. Where in Scripture is the gift of authority to forgive sins taken away from the apostles or their successors?

Matt. 9:6; Mark 2:10 - Christ forgave sins as a man (not God) to convince us that the "Son of man" has authority to forgive sins on earth.

Luke 5:24 - Luke also points out that Jesus' authority to forgive sins is as a man, not God. The Gospel writers record this to convince us that God has given this authority to men. This authority has been transferred from Christ to the apostles and their successors.

2 Cor. 5:18 - the ministry of reconciliation was given to the ambassadors of the Church. This ministry of reconciliation refers to the sacrament of reconciliation, also called the sacrament of confession or penance.

James 5:15-16 - in verse 15 we see that sins are forgiven by the priests in the sacrament of the sick. This is another example of man's authority to forgive sins on earth. Then in verse 16, James says “Therefore, confess your sins to one another,” in reference to the men referred to in verse 15, the priests of the Church.

Lev. 5:4-6; 19:21-22 - even under the Old Covenant, God used priests to forgive and atone for the sins of others.
ur so on point. The catholic church is so complete.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by tinkinjo: 2:45pm On Jun 28, 2012
By avoiding to appear too dogmatic,
Let the truth be told, there's no way one can say that he/she has truly confess his/her sins to God if he/she can't confess same to a fellow man.
Just like you can't say you love God when you don't love your fellow man.

This is common sense!
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by 4evergod3: 2:48pm On Jun 28, 2012
There is so much that is wrong with the catholic church and their worship. too much to be handled here. Most catholics just follow without asking questions or doing any research whatsoever.

Acts 17:11

Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Orikinla(m): 2:49pm On Jun 28, 2012
[size=28pt]It is written:

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

~ James 5:16
New International Version (NIV)[/size]

1 Like

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by 4evergod3: 2:51pm On Jun 28, 2012
Forgiveness of sins is in repentance and not doctrine. The catholics take confession as a doctrine which is why the sinful nature would never leave them alone. True repentance is what God commands and not hypocrisy via daily confessions and being asked to say 10 our fathers and 20 hail marys. The Mary thing even is another heresy that needs a whole new forum to tackle that one.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Pastorniga: 2:52pm On Jun 28, 2012
If you like confess if you like do otherwise. All of them have biblical backings. It depends on the approach. But all the sacraments are purely man-made. Pope-made. Vatican-made. China-made. Made in FRN
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jun 28, 2012
roqchiq: Its always advisable to avoid [color=#006600][/color]religious debates,however if you say WE catholics blindly file into a confession booth,based on tradition,and aganist the teachings of the bible,then i'll please remind you that this bible is a compilation of books,approved by the same catholics. They choose the books,what stopped them from slipping in a book that supported their traditions and doctrines? Have you ever wondered about that?
Faith is the strongest thing ever,the early christians didn't have the bible yet they managed to somehow get their acts together,all by faith.
If you don't believe in going to confession,then please don't,WE catholics are not advertising for followers,WE are not dangling any carrots in front of the world.
I am not going to quote any passages written by apostles of Jesus Christ to convince you. Personally,I always wondered why the early catholics let the 'Bible' out of their grasp,look at all the trouble that caused.just about anybody and everybody believes they can read and interpret the Bible.
Look beyond catholicism,islam,or whatever,to faith,love,peace, to the Creator,who is omniscient,omnipresence, let others be your mirror,be good inside more than outside, and remember that this world was here before you,and we all will eventually answer to our creator and there are things that can never be explained,that should never be explained,because any attempt to explain it would tear the very fabric of life as we (think) know it.
Finally,everybody keeps opposing WE catholics, and saying we're doing things the wrong way,but I strongly believe you'll be shocked if the ''real truth'' were to be told.infact the whole world would be plunged into some serious anarchy,because your very foundation will be ripped out from under u. So,be careful what you wish for.

God bless you! I don't know why all these people attack the catholic church.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jun 28, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
4evergod3: Forgiveness of sins is in repentance and not doctrine. The catholics take confession as a doctrine which is why the sinful nature would never leave them alone. True repentance is what God commands and not hypocrisy via daily confessions and being asked to say 10 our fathers and 20 hail marys. The Mary thing even is another heresy that needs a whole new forum to tackle that one.

you that feel you do the right thing are you sinless?
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by 4evergod3: 2:58pm On Jun 28, 2012
kkk17: [color=#006600][/color]

you that feel you do the right thing are you sinless?

This is my response to you:

1st Peter 2:24

He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by humblebee: 3:02pm On Jun 28, 2012
if i confess to the priest and then through Jesus before it gets to God.. that will take long mehn, i fit don die before God get the message.
SO I JUST TELL IT TO GOD STRAIGHT
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by iigiehon: 3:02pm On Jun 28, 2012
confessing to God (who already knows your sins) is the ultimate. but talking/confessing to a priest isnt bad, one can at least see it as a way of getting troubling thoughts out of one's mind
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by humblebee: 3:03pm On Jun 28, 2012
does that mean priests will confess to other priests or are they super?
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by adefash(m): 3:03pm On Jun 28, 2012
Lets eshew every discusion that will promote argument on religion.james 5:16"confes ur faults one to another..."one thing i no is if i was born in india,i'll posibly be washiping cow or snake;by islamic parents,i may posibly be a muslim.the religion dont know when it was founded i will now be disturbin maself over it.
rom 8:14 "for as many are lad by d spirit of god are sons of god"
u need to be led by the spirit to know what is wrong in the spirit.

1 Like

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by olyivy(f): 3:04pm On Jun 28, 2012
4evergod3: Forgiveness of sins is in repentance and not doctrine. The catholics take confession as a doctrine which is why the sinful nature would never leave them alone. True repentance is what God commands and not hypocrisy via daily confessions and being asked to say 10 our fathers and 20 hail marys. The Mary thing even is another heresy that needs a whole new forum to tackle that one.
Wow!!!

So we now know its catholics who sin the more. You people need to be[b] really [/b]born again and not that charade you carried out in your church with pastor and congregation looking.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by chinedumo(m): 3:07pm On Jun 28, 2012
[size=13pt]Powerful quotation[/size]
Orikinla: [size=28pt]It is written:

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

~ James 5:16
New International Version (NIV)[/size]
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by adefash(m): 3:10pm On Jun 28, 2012
The simple dos and donts in the bible that are not controversial,how many of them do we keep?
do not steal,do not comit adultery,do not furnicate,do not tell lies, and so on,how faithful are we to them? evenif u are convinced by the holy spirit that u must confess ur sin to reverend father u wont still confess it.u will be looking for ppl's fault.the simple "seek ye first the kingdom of god amd its righteousness..." u no gree follow,so why are we looking for the complicated ones?

1 Like

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by jaybim: 3:10pm On Jun 28, 2012
I taya 4 dis poster o... Y r u drinking expired panadol 4 anoda man's headache na Have catholics bn complainin to u bou havin to confess to a priest...?? U obviously do not hav any constructive tot in ur empty head so Y nt try fillin it wit water... @ Italo u try joor.. People are always antagonistic towards things they cannot comprehend

1 Like

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by chinedumo(m): 3:11pm On Jun 28, 2012
According to the Church's command, 'after having attained the age of discretion, each of the faithful is bound by an obligation faithfully to confess serious sins at least once a year.'" Pg. 365, #1457 (Emphasis author's)

There is that word "bound" again. The Church Fathers created another tradition which keeps people in bondage to the Catholic church.

What a powerful weapon to use against Catholics around the world. In essence, this doctrine says that if you leave the Catholic church, you will not be able to obtain forgiveness for your sins, which means you won't go to heaven.
[size=15pt]

This is dangerous

Good job poster
Frosbel: You didn't tell us which book you refereed to, is it the catholic Encyclopaedia?
[/size]
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by mikron(m): 3:13pm On Jun 28, 2012
dude confessing their sin to a priest or father is not even the one that is anoying but the fact that they always worship a mere human MARY the mother of GOD, for crying out loud mary shld not be calld virgin anymore cos my bible told me she went on and gave birth to other children aside our lord. Abi person wey born about 5 children na still imaculate virgin the way catholics like to call her? Read:
matt 1: 24-25
pslm 69: 4-9
mark 6: 2-3
matt 12: 46-47
it is also written in the bible that thou shalt not bow to or serve any graven image.
This the catholics do with ipunity. Bowing to mary,'s image in wat they call the GROTTO.
The bible also directs us to seek God directly n to confess our sins not thru mary like the catholics always do. Calling her their mediator.
I comment my reserve
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jun 28, 2012
Such hypocrites in this thread. You claim that confession of sins to priests (who by the way are given the power to do such by Christ) is wrong and blasphemous and that every believer is a priest unto himself, yet you daft protestants still ordain pastors and bishops to lead you, worship your general overseers and lick his/her footprints up, carry all your life problems to him and maintain a very strict and uneasy hierarchy whereby the general overseer has control of every aspect of his church and can never be unsit from that position.

You protestants are lost judging from the way you people tear away from each other and how each mini-god pastor has his/her own doctrines that can be changed at will. You should retrace your steps back to your origin (Catholicism) and beg God for forgiveness for deceiving yourselves all along.

Protestants are just irritants. Catholics no send you, don't need your membership and do not give a hoot what you think of them. We view you all as lost.

2 Likes

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by mikron(m): 3:17pm On Jun 28, 2012
dude confessing their sin to a priest or father is not even the one that is anoying but the fact that they always worship a mere human MARY the mother of GOD, for crying out loud mary shld not be calld virgin anymore cos my bible told me she went on and gave birth to other children aside our lord. Abi person wey born about 5 children na still imaculate virgin the way catholics like to call her? Read:
matt 1: 24-25
pslm 69: 4-9
mark 6: 2-3
matt 12: 46-47
it is also written in the bible as one of the 10 commandments that thou shalt not bow down to or serve any graven image.
This the catholics do with impunity. Bowing to mary,'s sculpted image in where they call the GROTTO.
The bible also directs us to seek God directly n to confess our sins to God and that he is just to forgive us our sins not thru mary like the catholics always do. Calling her their mediator.
Hail mary pray for us sinners. Lol. Mary na God?
I comment my reserve
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by 4evergod3: 3:20pm On Jun 28, 2012
olyivy:
Wow!!!

So we now know its catholics who sin the more. You people need to be[b] really [/b]born again and not that charade you carried out in your church with pastor and congregation looking.

you obviously lack understanding. I will pray for you but not by chanting hail marys which your Vatican calls Gregorian chants. I never said catholics sin the more. What i meant was as long as they refuse to repent and just go about confessing their sins daily or once a month or yearly as a doctrinal ritual then sin would never leave them alone. Read between the lines sister.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by ozoebuka1(m): 3:28pm On Jun 28, 2012
reasons why confession of is a perfect idea1. when u want to sin and remember that u will confess that sin to somebody, u have no other option than to 4get about the sin. 2. May i remind u guys that , any sin u 4give in this world wil be 4given in heaven and any sin u didnt 4give in this world wont be 4given.... That is Gods word to his apostles and our apostles 2day are priests! 3. Every other church in this world that is not a catholic is like that prodigal son in da bible that left his fathers house the earlier they return, the better 4 them! Catholic wil never fall even if satan come out by himself and start to fight us because catholic was made by Jesus and he said that no power wil be able to defeat us! Thank God that am a catholic and its a pity that most of dont know how fortunate they are just because they are a catholic.

1 Like

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by benemeka: 3:28pm On Jun 28, 2012
we catholic dont send anybody. we dont even want your membership. I dont know why u guys cant allow us practice our faith. am very proud to be a catholic. I love Virgin Mary! IF I like i bow for her, i dont give a dawn for your critics

2 Likes

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Super1759: 3:29pm On Jun 28, 2012
Abeg make una leave catholics,there wahala too much.I have a frnd who is even a mass servant.one day.he bleeped 2 girls and we even ate sm1's meat.when a priest in our compund came back.he went 2 confess.afta,I asked if he told the priest what we did.he is"am I mad? I only told him.I lied and stole what doesn't belong 2 me..and other sins I can't remember" that's all.he blessed him.I was mad! Is dis repentence when u lied upon the sin u commited? Even d priest tried a seducing act on ma cousin when she went 4 confession(she told only me cos we are reali close)
During the election.I worked with inec and we do stay in the priest compound.mehn,I can't jus say what I saw there.lets stop fooling ourselves.the bible said a broken and a contrait heart,he won't oberlook.not when ur talk 2 ur fellow man 2 help beg 4 mercy.and later pray ² mother mary ² forgive u...wtf..infact I still believe in the scripture that said"comdemnation will start from the house of God"let ur conscience judge u all
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Tos87(m): 3:33pm On Jun 28, 2012
[quote author=Gabriel_sylar]Catholic are the most confused ppke on earth. You are a big monkey,infact a sick dog,riff-raff,religion bigot.i can see that you are in here to flaunt your inate madness..is not your fault i beleive the madness is heridetry.you are high with confusion and you better start knowing ur stand before it is late...no wonder lots of ur kind now wants to be part of the catholic family..cos i believe u wil stil come bak to ur nomal self..we dont need media adverts to achieve that on-like those of ur new generation and warehouse churches.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

When Faiths Collide (lordnicklaus Vs Otemanuduno) / We Won't Resign, Pastor Iluyomade, Wife Tell Pastor Adeboye / OAP Freeze's Biblical Misinformation On Collection Of Tithes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.