Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,844 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite (23009 Views)

GENESIS Chapter 3(who Should We Blame For Our Suffering Now ADAM,EVE Or SERPENT) / Pastor Dies On The Altar After Leading Prayer / Be Wise As 'serpents'. Really? But Satan is the 'Serpent! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by espn(m): 8:47pm On May 31, 2012
logicboy:

Typical cold hearted christian. I'm sure that you would say the to child slaves or people who have sufferred at the hands of christrians eg Oyedepo-slapped wich for jesus
hmmm stop defending ur religion..d same verse he followed was in ur bible..tel me wa it d old testament,new testament,king james version..which did he use..u guyz wld neva say d truth..it was a muslim..u guyz wld v opened ur wide dirty mouth and start blabbin nonsense..@logicboy no mind dem!awon alabosi..hypocrite..
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by 2good(m): 8:52pm On May 31, 2012
espn: hmmm stop defending ur religion..d same verse he followed was in ur bible..tel me wa it d old testament,new testament,king james version..which did he use..u guyz wld neva say d truth..it was a muslim..u guyz wld v opened ur wide dirty mouth and start blabbin nonsense..@logicboy no mind dem!awon alabosi..hypocrite..

Logicboy is the defender of Atheism on Nairaland. He is not a Theist
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by owobokiri(m): 8:53pm On May 31, 2012
Eediot pastor must have been on steroid.
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by Gentleboby: 8:55pm On May 31, 2012
Which one would you believe ?
The pastors that walked with Holy spirit or without.
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by oladayo042: 9:01pm On May 31, 2012
One don die for UI Zoo before. "Serpent-handling" Ke?
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by logicboy: 9:06pm On May 31, 2012
KamiLara:

@logicboy

Tantrums does not suit you. Get a grip of yourself and face up to reality

Do you really think we live in a fair world? Pfft!.

I read this earlier, and it made my stomach turn

Another woman with the same symptom had all four limbs amputated

It's not fair, right? but then what do I know in the grand scheme of things

which is why I said you just have to suck it up

Thehomer, because of things like these, too is not that much an admirer of God

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2152593/Debbie-Woolhead-survives-deadly-flesh-eating-bacteria-falling-gravel-path.html

There is no God. However, if you are still confident that there is a God, go and tell the amputee woman that it's God's plan for her to be like that and God sent you to her with all your limbs intact because God sent you.
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by ifeci: 9:08pm On May 31, 2012
harakiri(m): 8:29pm

Quote one verse in the bible that buttresses your "point". You people just cook up all sorts of dumb excuses to defend your delusions.

can u imagine this human beign asking me to quote "one"! u r obviously a deluded atheist! go sign up for some bible class and mayb u will get converted! Imagine! have u ever even read a bible before to ask me such?
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by logicboy: 9:15pm On May 31, 2012
ifeci:

can u imagine this human beign asking me to quote "one"! u r obviously a deluded atheist! go sign up for some bible class and mayb u will get converted! Imagine! have u ever even read a bible before to ask me such?

in other words, you have nothing to back yourself up. You fail
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by ifeci: 9:21pm On May 31, 2012
in other words, you have nothing to back yourself up. You fail

I have read your posts and you say there is no God? well, may you encounter God like Saul did.
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by Piyke: 9:24pm On May 31, 2012
harakiri: @Piyke

...but the bible is fiction so what are you talking about? Do you believe virgins can get pregnant without $exual intercourse? Do you believe a human being can be swallowed by a shark or whale and live in it's stomach for three whole days without air,food or water supply? It's all there in that book of fables you call "the word of god".

Really? And how do you know this? Do you have a biblical quotation to back up your bold statements or are you just making up excuses for your delusional beliefs like all the sheeple do?

Where is this written in the bible? Doesn't the bible frown on it's misrepresentation?

Name one person who has!!!

You know its quite clear that we're not on the same page and matters like this are not about winning an argument as its obvious we have different beliefs.
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by Idango(m): 9:26pm On May 31, 2012
This is what the man did wrong, God is not a show man. He is not a magician that you display in public for show. If that man accidentally got bitten by a snake and he beleive nothing will happen to him. He did it just like the man in ibadan who was killed by a lion. Does that mean God dont deleiver, he does and often. I have real testimonies to that, not hearsay. I am a living testimony.

1 Like

Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by logicboy: 9:28pm On May 31, 2012
ifeci:

I have read your posts and you say there is no God? well, may you encounter God like Saul did.

Saul was a murderer of christians. Maybe if I killed you, god will appear to me. What's your address?
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by donigspain(m): 9:30pm On May 31, 2012
1. Even if it was later proved that the HOLY BIBLE is but a mere work of fiction; I will still REVERE it...©
2. Even if it was later discovered that JESUS CHRIST never existed; I will still acknowledge His DIVINITY...©
3. Even if it was empirically certified that CHRISTIANS are deluded, myopic and brainwashed sect; I will still gladly live my life with those 'TITLES'...©

If e dey pain u, kindly DIE off...®

»»myopinion««

1 Like

Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by 9zeros(m): 9:31pm On May 31, 2012
Piyke:

Kindly separate fact from fiction. The scripture you quoted does not suggest that christians should be playing with snakes as a sport which is what is shown by the video posted by kamilara. God's word cannot fail when followed according to spec. A lot of times people misunderstand the word of God and pay the price
So wat u're sayin is dat he would not have died if he was mistakenly bitten by d same snake?. Are u kiddin? hahaha!. guy, ur statement lacks simple logic.
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by logicboy: 9:35pm On May 31, 2012
donigspain: 1. Even if it was later proved that the HOLY BIBLE is but a mere work of fiction; I will still REVERE it...©
2. Even if it was later discovered that JESUS CHRIST never existed; I will still acknowledge His DIVINITY...©
3. Even if it was empirically certified that CHRISTIANS are deluded, myopic and brainwashed sect; I will still gladly live my life with those 'TITLES'...©

If e dey pain u, kindly DIE off...®

»»myopinion««

You're a slave. Slave to a religion that enslaved your Nigerian forefathers. When faced with the truth, you run to your white Jesus (Yes, Jesus is painted as a white man in your church) like a good slave.

There are only 2 things that pain me about this

1) There are too many Nigerians that think like you

2) You are not paying your tithes to me (I wont buy private jets, just bullet proof limos grin)
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by ifeci: 9:36pm On May 31, 2012
Saul was a murderer of christians. Maybe if I killed you, god will appear to me. What's your address?

well I wldn't argue wit you on this thread cos I hv deep respect for my religion, mark my Id and meet me on an unreligious thread and I will put u in ur place, I just hope that ur encounter with God wouldn't be ur painful exit from this world.
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by logicboy: 9:38pm On May 31, 2012
ifeci:

well I wldn't argue wit you on this thread cos I hv deep respect for my religion, mark my Id and meet me on an unreligious thread and I will put u in ur place, I just hope that ur encounter with God wouldn't be ur painful exit from this world.

Lol, you have a deep respect for a religion used to enslave your forefathers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM2vt2FD5sc
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by ifeci: 9:42pm On May 31, 2012
Lol, you have a deep respect for a religion used to enslave your forefathers?

well, u hv the power of choice and ability to control ur mind to believe wot u choose. my advise, use it wisely!
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by Ptolomeus(m): 9:43pm On May 31, 2012
ifeci:

It's very sad when I see a Christian angry that way.
Not good threat. It's not what our Lord Jesus Christ taught.
He taught to love our neighbors ... you should apologize.
You are a bad image for christians ...
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 31, 2012
Red necks! What else do you expect! The hypocrite is probably burning in hell now!
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by logicboy: 9:44pm On May 31, 2012
ifeci:

well, u hv the power of choice and ability to control ur mind to believe wot u choose. my advise, use it wisely!

But it is true! christianity came with slavery and colonization to Nigeria. Nigeria was never a christian country
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by stagger: 9:47pm On May 31, 2012
What a dumb ox of a man. Snakes only bite human beings when they are disturbed or feel threatened (e.g. if you are close to them or you step on them). They do not go chasing human beings. You leave them alone, they leave you alone.

And why was he not immediately taken to the hospital? Dumb factorial!
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by ifeci: 9:49pm On May 31, 2012
It's very sad when I see a Christian angry that way.
Not good threat. It's not what our Lord Jesus Christ taught.
He taught to love our neighbors ... you should apologize.
You are a bad image for christians ...

it depends on what u tag as anger, because there is nothing angry about my post. saying "I hope" means that I am wishing him well. it depends on how u read and understand. and in conclusion, u quickly judge me as a bad image! is that wot we were taught too?
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by Idango(m): 9:52pm On May 31, 2012
@logicboy
You are standing on a precipice, you will crash if you don't come to God. You are directly pointing your fingers at your creator and it is dangerous for you. Very dangerous.
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by donigspain(m): 10:00pm On May 31, 2012
logicboy:

You're a slave. Slave to a religion that enslaved your Nigerian forefathers. When faced with the truth, you run to your white Jesus (Yes, Jesus is painted as a white man in your church) like a good slave.

There are only 2 things that pain me about this

1) There are too many Nigerians that think like you

2) You are not paying your tithes to me (I wont buy private jets, just bullet proof limos grin)

A new 'TITLE' which I gladly will oblige.

»»singshymn««
When I survey
the wonderous cross...
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by maigaskiya1: 10:02pm On May 31, 2012
2good:
A "serpent-handling" West Virginia pastor died after his rattlesnake bit him during a church ritual, just as the man had apparently watched a snake kill his father years before.

Pentecostal pastor Mark Wolford, 44, hosted an outdoor service at the Panther Wildlife Management Area in West Virginia Sunday, which he touted on his Facebook page prior to the event.

"I am looking for a great time this Sunday," Wolford wrote May 22, according to the Washington Post. "It is going to be a homecoming like the old days. Good 'ole raised in the holler or mountain ridge running, Holy Ghost-filled speaking-in-tongues sign believers."

Robin Vanover, Wolford's sister, told the Washington Post that 30 minutes into the outdoor service, Wolford passed around a poisonous timber rattlesnake, which eventually bit him.

"He laid it on the ground," Vanover said in the interview, "and he sat down next to the snake, and it bit him on the thigh."

Vanover said Wolford was then transported to a family member's home in Bluefield about 80 miles away to recover. But as the situation worsened, he was taken to a hospital where he later died.

Jim Shires, owner of the Cravens-Shires Funeral Home in Bluefield, told ABC News that Wolford died Monday. Wolford's church, the Apostolic House of the Lord Jesus in Matoaka, will host a viewing Friday and a funeral service Saturday morning. Wolford will be buried at the Hicks Family Plot in Phelps, Ky.

Officials at the Panther Wildlife Management Area had been unaware of Sunday's event until they were notified by callers after the service.

"We did not know that this event was happening, and if we had known about it or if we had been asked for permission, permission would not have been granted," Hoy Murphy, public information officer for the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, told ABC News.

Hoy said West Virginia state park rules prohibit animals other than dogs and cats on the property.

While snake-handling is legal in West Virginia, other Appalachian states, including Kentucky and Tennessee, have banned the practice in public spaces.

Snake-handlers point to scripture as evidence that God calls them to engage in such a practice to show their faith in him. Mark 16: 17-18 reads, "And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

Wolford told the Washington Post magazine in 2011 that he is carrying on the tradition of his ancestors by engaging in snake handling.

"Anybody can do it that believes it," Wolford said. "Jesus said, 'These signs shall follow them which believe.' This is a sign to show people that God has the power."

Wolford said watched his own father die at the age of 39 after a rattlesnake bit him during a similar service.

"He lived 101/2 hours," Wolford told the Washington Post Magazine. "When he got bit, he said he wanted to die in the church. Three hours after he was bitten, his kidneys shut down. After a while, your heart stops. I hated to see him go, but he died for what he believed in.

"I know it's real; it is the power of God," Wolford told the Washington Post Magazine last year. "If I didn't do it, if I'd never gotten back involved, it'd be the same as denying the power and saying it was not real."

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/serpent-handling-west-virginia-pastor-dies-snake-bite-173406645--abc-news-topstories.html
trouble slep nyanga go wake am
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by Nobody: 10:02pm On May 31, 2012
stagger: And why was he not immediately taken to the hospital? Dumb factorial!

Because he had faith as small as a mustard seed.......but maybe he needed faith the size of Mt Everest on this particular night.
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by logicboy: 10:02pm On May 31, 2012
Idango: @logicboy
You are standing on a precipice, you will crash if you don't come to God. You are directly pointing your fingers at your creator and it is dangerous for you. Very dangerous.

God can suck ma d1ck
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by stagger: 10:06pm On May 31, 2012
Martian:

Because he had faith as small as a mustard seed.......but maybe he needed faith the size of Mt Everest on this particular night.

What is faith? When is "faith" actually stupidity in disguise?
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by Ptolomeus(m): 10:08pm On May 31, 2012
ifeci:

it depends on what u tag as anger, because there is nothing angry about my post. saying "I hope" means that I am wishing him well. it depends on how u read and understand. and in conclusion, u quickly judge me as a bad image! is that wot we were taught too?
You are challenging, and wishing evil.
What's more, then try to lie and say it was not assault or threaten his intention.
You committed a sin!

Repent!
Or you will burn in eternal hellfire!
Alleluia!
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by 2good(m): 10:10pm On May 31, 2012
stagger:

What is faith? When is "faith" actually stupidity in disguise?

There is no time faith is stupidity in disguise because the bible didn't give a condition for faith
Re: 'serpent-handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite by Ptolomeus(m): 10:11pm On May 31, 2012
Idango: @logicboy
I think you have already fallen into the precipice.
The precipice of ignorance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Worshipers Fight At AIPCA Church In Kenya Over Who Should Lead Day's Service / The Seventh Day Adventist Church: What Do You Know About Them? / Angelina Oyakhilome's 80th Birthday: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome's Mother Celebrates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.