Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,998 members, 7,835,354 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister (12470 Views)

Buhari Orders Takeover Of Nigerian Airspace From Ghana / Osinbajo Did Not Shut Down Calabar- Vps Aide. / Ministry Receives N5bn For Clean Cookstoves Project, Says Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by kingsley147: 3:25pm On Jun 06, 2012
What is the actual cause of the crash,I really want to know
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by Basic(m): 3:27pm On Jun 06, 2012
lastpage: Well, henceforth, it is worthy to "pay attention" to VIP movement and avoid boarding a plane around their "tight" schedule!

At least it will save somebody the STRESS of staying airborne for such long periods, doing nothing!
Especially in our "Molue-Aircrafts"!

Can they please publish their schedule so we can "respect" their movement?
Hmmm......na wa O!

Lastpage!
Gbam!
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by habayommy: 3:32pm On Jun 06, 2012
farouqzaib: @Maasoap if what you say is true, then I have to raise the stupidity level of Nigerian politicians. IMHO, I doubt it had anything to do with the crash even if that is true. And please people should stop saying the plane was hovering in Iju. The only reason a plane has to hover is if it is awaiting clearance for landing from the control tower and until it gets it, it will be placed in a a holding pattern probably along with other planes around the airport (You will even be able to see them in the air). All these is medicine after death anyways. I just pray God gives those who lost anybody in the crash the strength to bear the lose.

@maasoap, thanks for the hindsight.
Some NLders need τ̅☺ be educated...Ɣ shud a plane be hovering i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Iju(abt 11 nautical miles from τ̅ђё airport) when waiting for clearance #just asking
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by doofanc: 3:33pm On Jun 06, 2012
lastpage:

Now tell me, what do you think the plane was doing, between 3:42pm, when it made its "last contact" with Lagos Radar Control Tower (it was already in Lagos airspace!)......and 4:47pm, when it crashed? (One hour, five minutes!)
I guess you would say it was "parked somewhere in the Skies"! grin grin

Mind you, l am not saying Dame is responsible for the crash, l just want it to b e clear and on record that THE PLANE WAS HOVERING FOR ABOUT ONE HOUR!
No more, no less!.

Lastpage!

there is obviously a typho in the article. the crash COULD NOT have happened at 4:47, ie few minutes to five?? Heck, by that time news of the crash had more or less saturated cyberspace.
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by Dede1(m): 3:36pm On Jun 06, 2012
If there are two functional airports in Lagos metropolis, the DANA flights should not have been allowed to hover for 50 minutes when the Pilot has sent a distress call to the tower. If the Ikeja terminal is shut down because of First Lady Dame Patience Jonathan, was MMA also out of bounds for a plane in peril of crashing? It is very asinine to pin the blame of DANA flight crash on Dame Patience Jonathan.

For sake of playing to the gallery of fools, if the Lagos State airspace (bear in mind the Lagos State does not have airspace) was out of bound to flights due to presence of First Lady Dame Patience Jonathan, is Ogun, or Oyo State airport also out of bound to incoming flights? What stopped the moronic dingbats who manage the control towers in Nigeria from sending a perilous plane to Abeokuta airport or the airport in Ibadan?
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by mustspin: 3:38pm On Jun 06, 2012
tochimas: @ls people should stop these senseless rumour,At what time did the plane leave Abuja and what time did it crash,Did you really think a plane in distress will be allowed to hover for One hour abi two hours as you are alleging ? After the pilot has radioed in for help. It would have been promptly cleared for landing. Said authoritative source.I never belived the rumour for once.
1. going by the Nigerian standard, the plane could av been left to hover around
2. i'll strongly doubt it those at the control tower can grant such a permission when it comes to VIP movement unless he's ready to lose his job
3. you need to understand that Nigeria is a place where nothing is done in the Right way, so you cant be so sur. . . but like they say, there's usually no smoke without fire
vicoloni: I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT THE REPORT ON THE BLACK BOX OF THE CRASHED PLANE BEING FLOWN TO USA OR UK WILL NEVER BE MADE PUBLIC!
my fear too
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by eche80(m): 3:39pm On Jun 06, 2012
why would the first lady leave lagos on Monday without visiting the crash site knowing fully well the president was coming for an on the stop assessment. what is so important in abuja that she could not spare time to visit the site with the president? after all the president cancelled his engagements for the day.
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by Googler(m): 3:43pm On Jun 06, 2012
@lastpage

The Federal Ministry of Aviation will like to clarify that nothing could be farther from the truth....... “The crash occurred at about 4.47pm on Sunday and its last contact with the Lagos Control Tower was at 3.42p.m. as has already been announced.

Well, 2.45 to 3.42 to 4.47 - something needs to be explained there. But is this 4.47, is it an error? I mean, other accounts have consistently put the crash at between 3 and 4.

This from the "eyewitness account" thread:

Like a scene in a movie, the events of June 3rd 2012 is not one I can ever forget in a hurry. [b]It was 3.56pm [/b]and everyone had formed clusters around available TV set in preparation to watch the Nigerian National Football team play their Namibian counterpart in Calabar, a home match for the Eagles. Then came a loud scream from the grocery shop across my house, it was the owner shouting “Ki le leyi?” in Yoruba which by interpretation is “what is this?”

Now consider these:
1. Someone on telly said 3.40
2. There was a football match played that day which started at about 4pm. Crash obviously happened before match.
3. My colleague just showed me her phone - she sent out messages of the crash by 4.54 (that is, the news had already gone viral and spreading on BB by 4.54).

So I don't believe the crash happened at 4.47pm!
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by Seun(m): 3:48pm On Jun 06, 2012
Googler: @lastpage

Well, 2.45 to 3.42 to 4.47 - something needs to be explained there. But is this 4.47, is it an error? I mean, other accounts have consistently put the crash at between 3 and 4.

Now consider these:
2. There was a football match played that day which started at about 4pm. Crash obviously happened before match.
3. My colleague just showed me her phone - she sent out messages of the crash by 4.54 (that is, the news had already gone viral and spreading on BB by 4.54).

I believe the first post about the crash on Nairaland was posted just after 4pm
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by Googler(m): 3:53pm On Jun 06, 2012
Seun:

Thank you.

Besides, I don't believe for one second that even in the military era a plane load of people would send a distress signal and be left to hover for one hour even if the plane carrying Hitler and IBB and Useni and TY Danjuma was landing. Not that if it happened and I am the pilot I would obey the "don't land" signal - I would just go ahead and land the plane make NAF shoot am down!

1 Like

Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by jigawatts(m): 3:55pm On Jun 06, 2012
What I dont undastand is........ Why is d air-space ever closed. Last year, My mum flew on Arik and they were about to land in Abuja Airport but they dint land, they were looking at d airport but they kept hovering in d air for 50mins.... All because the president wanted to fly.
On this case, Its possible that madam wanted to leave on sunday and d air-space was alredi cleared down for her which made it impossible for d control tower to get d distress call ...... I dint wanna believe at first BUT why did madam Patience quickly leave Lagos on Monday after such huge tragedy...... PLS CAN ANYONE CONFIRM WEDA THEY CLOSE THEY CLOSE THE 'AIR SPACE' FOR ANYBODY IN OTHER COUNTRIES
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by flexdee(m): 3:57pm On Jun 06, 2012
G
Basic: Even if that was the case, do you expect anyone to say that was true?
Or can anyone explain why a plane should hover aimlessly in air for over an hour when the airport is just a few minutes distance away?
I still suspect something...
She could easily have postponed her flight till Monday when she heard that the airspace closure enforced in her favour had caused a crash. She may have postponed her trip to avoid suspicion.
This is just a suspicious thought, it may not be true afterall. Let no one quote me!
. Exactly what I'm thinking
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by omosexy1: 3:58pm On Jun 06, 2012
When I first read this yesterday I thought it was just a political game to always indict the first family. But from the media release I think there some atom of truth. She probably postponed her flight to monday due to the crash. Dame has been to Lagos on several occasions and I don't think she passes the night in Lagos because we always feel the traffic every time she visit.
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by Googler(m): 4:00pm On Jun 06, 2012
@lastpage

Seun:

Here:

Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by doofanc: 4:05pm On Jun 06, 2012
Googler: @lastpage

Now consider these:

its possible the media aide to the minister was misquoted or it was a typo from Nation newspaper.

Whateva the case, it certainly could not been 4:47pm; it happened at least an hour before then.
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by fesse(f): 4:13pm On Jun 06, 2012
There are things we should not play with like this dana air crash. Innocent souls are gone cry cry cry cry and some silly oppositions are playing politics with this.....Let's wait for the truth to emerge.
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by iykak47: 4:17pm On Jun 06, 2012
eche80: why would the first lady leave lagos on Monday without visiting the crash site knowing fully well the president was coming for an on the stop assessment. what is so important in abuja that she could not spare time to visit the site with the president? after all the president cancelled his engagements for the day.
Off point. Did Lagos state first lady accompany her husband?
If i may ask,have you visited the crash site? Stop appointing fingers.
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by Akshow: 4:30pm On Jun 06, 2012
iykak47: Off point. Did Lagos state first lady accompany her husband?
If i may ask,have you visited the crash site? Stop appointing fingers.
Doesnt it sound wierd 2 u dat she sneaked out of d state afta such heavy natiomdal tragedy? 4 less tragic ocurence, she paid condolence visit, bt 4 d wan rait unda ha nose, she declines. Dias sumtin fishy. And y shud d poster visit d crash scene? Is e d presidnt?
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by dayokanu(m): 4:44pm On Jun 06, 2012
Or could it be that Patience Jonathan actually left Lagos on Sunday as against the Monday they wanted us to believe?

And she was the cause of the flight delay
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by asidere(m): 5:13pm On Jun 06, 2012
Hello nairaland,i read through this post and i was very confused,please educate me about airspace closure or closing of an airspace.Is it closing the runway so that a plane cannot land but the airspace is very large
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by POTUT(m): 5:28pm On Jun 06, 2012
It is odd the first lady did not put off her return to Abuja to join her husband at the crash site. That is the proper thing to do as a first lady.

The other suspicion of the airspace being shut down for her about the time the Dana airliner went down is a technical speculation that only the blackbox recordings will either dispel or affirm.

In the absence of any other cogent explanation, the first lady's timing of her return trip was inappropriate.
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jun 06, 2012
GP15: Come to tink of it, Something doesn't add up. That woman (Dame) went everywhere with Jonathan during the campaigns and after. Why would she den hurriedly leave on Monday when he was visiting the crash site? Didn't they visit hospitalized victims of the Abuja blasts together? According to her media aide, she left Lagos at exactly 1:15pm on Monday. Jonathan had already arrived Lagos at the time to visit the crash site. And we are to believe she left just like that? Without visiting the site? Something is CERTAINLY NOT RIGHT here.
hmmmmm
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 06, 2012
As at this moment, the following people need to be pacified:

1. The opposition
2. The trade unions
3. Boko Haram
4. The North
5. The patriots of Nairaland

It is obvious that we have a very quick way of achieving this: if only the first Lady will admit/accept/swear that she "caused" the DANA crash, that will surely pacify them. And we all in Nigeria shall live happy ever after.

I am therefore appealing to the First Lady, to appear on CNN, and admit before the whole world that she alone was "responsible" for the crash. She needs to do this asap so that we can have peace in this country and move forward.

I perceive that if my appeal is ignored, that Nigerians (especially) of Nairaland ethic minorities might start committing suicide until she admits. Hence, so that we dont loose any Nairalander, the First Lady should be lady enough to admit.
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by Beaf: 6:24pm On Jun 06, 2012
godfadda6: If a captain makes a distress call at 11 nautica miles (quoting minister of aviation) that's 20kilometers of the airport, there is a radar to show location before it lost contact, why wasn't all the NAMA, NEMA and all contact to tell them there was a mayday distress call?

In as much as we shouldn't politize the death of these people, we should not fail to realise that so many things are wrong with the system, presidency, FAAN, NAMA and all.....

Whether the airspace was shut or not, if a distress call was made at 20KM, that means the aircraft is approaching final decent into the lagos area, why shldnt the "rescue" team be ready.........

Very important questions. The way we do things in Nigeria is just shambolic; you would find that the very same theme in questions as to why a faulty plane could load passengers and take off. A lot of sanity needs to be brought into the avaiation system. Above all, the CEO and other top officials of Dana Air need to be jailed as an example.
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by Beaf: 6:26pm On Jun 06, 2012
oddy4real: This post you are about to read is from a friend. Look at it with an unbiased mind and it should be clear that all the stories trying to link Dame P. with these deaths are both cruel and illogical. I received a number of BBs that explicitl...ystate that it was the First Lady's VIP
movement that was directly responsible for the crash...
Dear friends, this is NOT TRUE!
Here are a few objective facts to buttress my point:
I disembarked from the SAME plane @ about 2pm that afternoon when it arrived into Abuja. If we allow about 50mins for passengers to disembark and get the plane
cleaned, refueled and re-loaded, it would have taken off back to Lagos @ c.2.50pm. The crash happened at about 3.43pm - about 3mins to landing. The flight time for that route (which I do @ least 2ce a week) is 55mins. Meaning that sadly, the ill-fated flight was into its 52nd/53rd minute when it went down. Where therefore do the 2hrs waiting for VIP movement come in?? My dear friends, it is important that we do not make the situation any worse for the bereaved by
spewing out lies. Many of you know that whilst I do what I do, I am no Govt appointed FB praise singer. I am writing this as an independent who was privy (1st hand) to some of the tragic realities of the day. May Good Lord have mercy on the souls of the departed.

Very informative. Thanks.
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jun 06, 2012
Beaf:

Very informative. Thanks.
Always fast to jump behind GEJ..oloriburuku, and he claims he's not Reno
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by oddy4real(m): 7:13pm On Jun 06, 2012
ogbeche77:
Always fast to jump behind GEJ..oloriburuku, and he claims he's not Reno
Na wa for you o. Are you here to know the truth or to vilify GEJ at all cost?
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by bilaya(m): 7:27pm On Jun 06, 2012
pek: Let us marry logic with common sense here: the first lady was in lagos when they aircraft crashed on sunday?! She left on monday without visiting the site?! Her husband visits the site but she wasnt there with him. Her actions are not in tandem with Dame patience i know. Have we considered the possibility that the airspace was shut for her departure but when the crashed happen she had to postpone her journey for obivous reasons. Is this not plausible?
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by brabus(m): 7:31pm On Jun 06, 2012
Basic: Even if that was the case, do you expect anyone to say that was true?
Or can anyone explain why a plane should hover aimlessly in air for over an hour when the airport is just a few minutes distance away?
I still suspect something...
She could easily have postponed her flight till Monday when she heard that the airspace closure enforced in her favour had caused a crash. She may have postponed her trip to avoid suspicion.
This is just a suspicious thought, it may not be true afterall. Let no one quote me!

Thank you o jare! Now why is it taking ages to know the cause of the crash. At least they have the cockpit recorder.

Abi dat one too no dey work? Or maybe it ran out of disk space?

May God help us from blood sucking monsters
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by Beaf: 7:46pm On Jun 06, 2012
^
What do you mean its taking ages to know the reason for the crash, bro?
Firstly, the reason for air crashes can take months to resolve. Secondly, its already everywhere in the news that both the planes engines failed as it was lining up to land. All that is left to devulge is why the engines failed (after which the Dana Air phuckers go to jail).
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by edicolove: 8:00pm On Jun 06, 2012
I was speaking with a political scientist yesterday and he was giving us an elaborate analysis of Nigeria and why things might not improve except there is some kind of divine intervention. It confirmed what I have always said everywhere.

The problem of Nigeria is not corruption but something more fundamental. It is the basic fact that we are a false marriage gone awry. That is the reason for corruption and other vices. This thread just confirmed it again. We are suddenly back to politics. We against them. Those who have vowed that the nation will be made ungovernable, are making good their promise. You have to give it to them, they are doing a pretty damn job!

University name change to MKO: they succeeded in turning it into a bad thing.

Plane crash from a useless airline: its got to be the presidents wife.

Its very boring now though and I think its a plus for GEJ eventually because when you throw all the kitchen sink so early in the fight, what will you do in the 11th and 12th rounds? Keep throwing your punches. You are only making the guy stronger and helping him win sympathy votes. At the end, you be so ashamed, you'll not be able to show your face in public! A country where people fight when they are not in power and call themselves social critics fighting for the masses; until they get power. Sad.
Re: Airspace Not Shut Down For First Lady, Says Minister by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jun 06, 2012
First and foremost, this is not an issue that should b debated. Its very silly to even give it a thought. The story is simply false & not true.... Those that are. In support of this rumour should first find out d meaning of an Airspace closure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Begs Oil Firms Not To Sack Workers / Anambra Govt Bans Use Of Motorcycles After 7pm / Imo: "My Successor Has Nothing To Do" – Rochas Okorocha Brags(Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.