Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. (22616 Views)

Buhari Seeks Senate Approval To Borrow N2.10 Trn / Dogara Seeks Senate’s Approval For Removal Of IGP / Power Supply: GEJ Seeks 'Honest Feedback' From Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by nuclearboy(m): 4:23pm On Jun 06, 2012
By going to the Senate for permission, GEJ has admitted he didn't hav e the right to change the name! In effect, his action transcended his powers as visitor!

It also admits that, regardless of the noise we have heard here about him (as govt) owning the university, he doesn't own it!

It says a lot about his state of mind when decisions are taken without due consideration for legality (except in arrears as in this case) and the rule of law!

Finally, I have ONE question - what if the senate refuses him this? I wonder what his army of paid NL supporters would then say
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 06, 2012
So there is MAULAG and MAUTECH. MAUTECH still sweet for mouth pass MAULAG sha!
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by israelbenzion: 4:24pm On Jun 06, 2012
Beaf:

It is evident that you come from a family of id!ots. A waste of DNA that can't even bother to read an article before venting idiocy with pride.
This is the full article (I don't expect an intellectual shrimp like you to get its full import though).

Swine.

Rabid Beaf on d rampage again. Dude, sumtimes u just shut d Bleep up and learn. U need not reply every time, esp if u are ignorant on d issue. Tot u said d name-change was final then? U still bawled like a dog wit rabies when some people were saying he ought to have sought parliamentary blessings first before changing d name. Now u hv seen it that his action is far from fianl. Wat if d Senate turns him down? And there is a s trong likelihood of dat happening.
Wen they turn him down what will be ur response then?
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Beaf: 4:26pm On Jun 06, 2012
I not for politics, who would be spitting on MKO's legacy. Its a disgusting thing to watch, I can only view thos taking part the same way I view earthworms.
How can anyone in their right mind say they are not proud for their institution to bear the name of a hero of our democracy?

Its mind boggling proof of the moral emptiness of vast swathes of our population! embarassed
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Dtruths(m): 4:26pm On Jun 06, 2012
ola_pluto: I simple case of acting before thinking. Nigeria is in for a long ride till 2015

Government by trials and errors
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Demdem(m): 4:27pm On Jun 06, 2012
the bottom line is there is nothing like MAULAG for now backed by law.
Till the NASS sanctions this, UNILAG still remains UNILAG.

I expect students, alumnis and all those who feel this name shouldnt be change should commence their lobbying at the NASS.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Beaf: 4:28pm On Jun 06, 2012
israel ben-zion:

Rabid Beaf on d rampage again. Dude, sumtimes u just shut d Bleep up and learn. U need not reply every time, esp if u are ignorant on d issue. Tot u said d name-change was final then? U still bawled like a dog wit rabies when some people were saying he ought to have sought parliamentary blessings first before changing d name. Now u hv seen it that his action is far from fianl. Wat if d Senate turns him down? And there is a s trong likelihood of dat happening.
Wen they turn him down what will be ur response then?

Are you the one going to change it back to Unilag? In case you do not know, the party of traitors, ACN has negligible presence in the Senate.
All other parties and the Nigerian public welcomes the name change to MAULAG.

It is final. cool
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Pukkah: 4:29pm On Jun 06, 2012
KwoiZabo: How will students enter a contract with the Federal govt. through their universities while gaining admission that they will graduate with a particular name on their certificates and halfway the name is changed. This is a clear breach of contract that must be resisted.

How does the name-change affect the award of degrees? Can't an institution or company, even a country, be renamed? As far as the entity remains, the contracts remain. Even if ownership changes, all erstwhile contracts become the burden of the successor-in-title. Simple.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Beaf: 4:29pm On Jun 06, 2012
careytommy: So there is MAULAG and MAUTECH. MAUTECH still sweet for mouth pass MAULAG sha!

Lol!

Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by floriana(m): 4:31pm On Jun 06, 2012
MAULAG is better. See Modibbo Adama University (MAD university) Lol.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by otokx(m): 4:31pm On Jun 06, 2012
The onus now rests with the senate to deny the request assuming all UNILAG alumni and undergraduates do their lobby well.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Bontee: 4:34pm On Jun 06, 2012
What i get from this issue is just that, it has been the normal process ( not the right way though ) to rename a university, stadium, road or any federal or state public facility without the due process. The people usually do not oppose this change and neither does the state or federal assembly oppose it because they would have consulted themselves privately. They would not have opposed also if the ruling party controls the state where the name change will take effect but the opposition to unilag name change was not expected. It might be that the state is in opposition hands, politicians in southwest were contacted and not the school. So when the protest came out in the open then they just have to revert back to the right process and not the normal process described above. In order not to leave a bad taste they went back to update the other normal process for the other schools who already went ahead with the name change to the right process as with unilag.

Lessons learnt is that we will now be going through the right process but the norm earlier is to do it the Nigerian way.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Beaf: 4:34pm On Jun 06, 2012
otokx: The onus now rests with the senate to deny the request assuming all UNILAG [b]MAULAG [/b]alumni and undergraduates do their lobby well.

So the Senate will suddenly change from a PDP one with David Mark as its head to one where MAULAG alumni have a say? Lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!
When people tell you GEJ consulted widely, doesn't it occur to you that he only consulted those who matter?

Dude, it would be the simple business of David Marks garvel coming down... Gboza!!! MAULAG forever! grin grin grin
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by nuclearboy(m): 4:35pm On Jun 06, 2012
@Beaf:

As at today, and without parliamentary backing, is it UNILAG or MAULAG?

That is the question!

The answer to that may teach you to be a bit less strident in your assertions and understand that not always is the president right! Because I keep wondering - what happens to him (and you) if the Senate says no? Egg in face, ehn?
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Beaf: 4:37pm On Jun 06, 2012
Bontee: What i get from this issue is just that, it has been the normal process ( not the right way though ) to rename a university, stadium, road or any federal or state public facility without the due process. The people usually do not oppose this change and neither does the state or federal assembly oppose it because they would have consulted themselves privately. They would not have opposed also if the ruling party controls the state where the name change will take effect but the opposition to unilag name change was not expected. It might be that the state is in opposition hands, politicians in southwest were contacted and not the school. So when the protest came out in the open then they just have to revert back to the right process and not the normal process described above. In order not to leave a bad taste they went back to update the other normal process for the other schools who already went ahead with the name change to the right process as with unilag.

Lessons learnt is that we will now be going through the right process but the norm earlier is to do it the Nigerian way.

You hit the nail on the head, bro.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Beaf: 4:37pm On Jun 06, 2012
nuclearboy: @Beaf:

As at today, and without parliamentary backing, is it UNILAG or MAULAG?

That is the question!

The answer to that may teach you to be a bit less strident in your assertions and understand that not always is the president right! Because I keep wondering - what happens to him (and you) if the Senate says no? Egg in face, ehn?

MAULAG cool
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Bontee: 4:37pm On Jun 06, 2012
otokx: The onus now rests with the senate to deny the request assuming all UNILAG alumni and undergraduates do their lobby well.

I don't think the senate would want to do that as it might lead to future disagreements with the executive, we all remember the cat and mouse game between obj and the senate during his time.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by maclatunji: 4:39pm On Jun 06, 2012
You cannot give what you don't have. GEJ has finally recognised that he had no power to change the name of those institutions and is now deferring to the Senate for approval. All UNILAG students need to do is 'Occupy NASS' for a thorough rejection of this proposed name change.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Nigerd(m): 4:40pm On Jun 06, 2012
Those that cried Foul over the rename are just doing that based on special hatred to GEJ..
If he renamed it Yaradua u will want to kill him...

and to the ill-fated DANA Air.. so many people were pointing accusing finger to him..
When Belview and Sosoliso Crashed... OBJ was not accused..
My Condolence...........

Politics.. Playing Politics with reality, will not make us Grow as a NATION..
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by ypzilanti: 4:40pm On Jun 06, 2012
Beaf: This was changed since last year, but the people did not ehxibit the sort of idiocy we are experiencing from MAULAG students.
Why they would spit on MKO's legacy is beyond me.
The FG owns the place and the students are mere tenants:

The students there did not know their rights or did not care. Unilag students chose to challenge him and he is quickly retracing his steps to do the right thing now.

Does he think he is the maximum ruler of Nigeria? Abi na military hangover dey do am.

You said before that he did not require any legal stamp for this action. Now you are hailing him that this was all part of his grand scheme in the first place. Shey if he says he is not naming the University after Abiola again you will come here and tell us he has shown that he has a listening ear.

How much are you being paid? Remember that no matter how we benefit from PDP, we are all victims of the system in the end.

You will make your millions but still drive on potholed roads.

If you are in trouble, police will not answer you.

If you enter plane, you are not sure it will not crash because someone collected money to turn a blind eye to the planes air worthiness.

The list of things wrong in this country is endless.

A lot is not the president's fault per se due to the fact that he has only been in power for two years, but we are not seeing any progress. All the performing governors in Nigeria start showing you their intention within the first year in power. Four years is not a long time. Soon half the year term will be gone and we will start campaign for the next term in office with nothing on ground to show but sentiments, pleading for tribal solidarity, and asking for more time to complete what we will be assured is in some masterplan that took four years to craft.

5 Likes

Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Beaf: 4:42pm On Jun 06, 2012
maclatunji: You cannot give what you don't have. GEJ has finally recognised that he had no power to change the name of those institutions and is now deferring to the Senate for approval. All UNILAG students need to do is 'Occupy NASS' for a thorough rejection of this proposed name change.

I thought they went to court too? Maybe they should come with the bunch of area boys that helped seize bridges too.
MAULAG is here to stay. cool
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by onthefence: 4:42pm On Jun 06, 2012
Beaf:

It is evident that you come from a family of id!ots. A waste of DNA that can't even bother to read an article before venting idiocy with pride.
This is the full article (I don't expect an intellectual shrimp like you to get its full import though).

Swine.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=164467:jonathan-seeks-senate-approval-to-rename-unilag-2-others&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8

It will do all namecalling fools like you a lot of good to take a look at this website and learn not to act or think like animals: http://mautech.edu.ng/

MAULAG is here to stay. Die if you like.

What is the rant all about? Your Principal has realised his folly and has done the right thing and you are still bleating like the goat you are.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by doctokwus: 4:43pm On Jun 06, 2012
Uhm,Uhm,may God help us all
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Bontee: 4:44pm On Jun 06, 2012
Beaf:

You hit the nail on the head, bro.

That is just the way it is and i don't know why people are pretending like they are not aware of it, its a waste of time in the Nigerian setting to be debating how to change the name of a university that belongs to the government. Just do the consultation behind the scenes, announce the changes and if there is any opposition ( guess this is the first one in this new democracy ) then get the senate to approve it simple.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Beaf: 4:44pm On Jun 06, 2012
onthefence:

What is the rant all about? Your Principal has realised his folly and has done the right thing and you are still bleating like the goat you are.

My brother, after your long wahala, it will still be MAULAG.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by tiarabubu: 4:46pm On Jun 06, 2012
Moddibo Adama was a jihadist, one of Dan Fodio's key lieutenants. he is responsible for the forceful islamization of the tribes in the area now known as Adamawa and the displacement of many others to what is now Cameroun.

Adamawa State is named after Adama. Why the heck does GEJ now feel he needs to rename the Yola University again?

[size=15pt] i was asking myself the same question. The answer I deduced from this is GEJ is looking for friends and alliances. Question is, for what? 2015? watch out. yesterday the Fulani oligarchy, today is the yoruba club, tomorrow will be the turn of the east side boys. [/size] odumegwu ojukwu university Nsuka.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by nuclearboy(m): 4:46pm On Jun 06, 2012
Beaf:

MAULAG cool

In psychology classes, this would be called a "defense mechanism" - DENIAL!

For if it is MAULAG, why is he prostrate before the senate now to save his face? You and him both suffer from Delusions of Grandeur. As Yorubas would say "omo oju ori Ola ri"
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by maclatunji: 4:49pm On Jun 06, 2012
Beaf: ^

I thought they went to court too? Maybe they should come with the bunch of area boys that helped seize bridges too.
MAULAG is here to stay. cool

Citizens have the right to lobby their parliament O evil propagandist. GEJ should have waited for the court case to be concluded, why is he reversing his 'Presidential Proclamation on Democracy Day' by seeking the approval of the Senate?
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by ypzilanti: 4:50pm On Jun 06, 2012
Beaf:

All the performing governors in Nigeria start showing you their intention within the first year in power. Four years is not a long time. Soon half the year term will be gone and we will start campaign for the next term in office with nothing on ground to show but sentiments, pleading for tribal solidarity, and asking for more time to complete what we will be assured is in some masterplan that took four years to craft.

Shey after four years he will tell us he was busy fighting with Unilag students over name change and thats why we dont have development.

This time he will tell us that he did not have singlet when he was young, and some people will vote for him.

I hope Mr. President proves my disbelief in his capability wrong, cause in the end even though I did not vote for him, I affected by his cluelessness.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Bontee: 4:52pm On Jun 06, 2012
Lagos — A Biblical saying that "sweet is the memory of the just" came to play on Monday when an honour was done post-humously to late Anthony Olufunso Williams seven months after his brutal murder. The popular Western Avenue in Lagos was renamed "Funsho Williams Avenue" by Governor Bola Tinubu of Lagos State.

Some Nigerians have reacted to this honour bestowed on this gentleman and strong politician in Lagos State, who many believed would have become the governor of the state come May 29, 2007. In cases like this, there are also mixed reactions. While few praised Tinubu for bestowing this post-humous honour to his once political opponent, few others felt it has political undertone and queried why the honour is just coming seven months after his dastard killing right inside his bedroom at his 184B, Corporation Avenue, Dolphin Estate.

Its the norm in Nigeria and i think it will pass eventually through the senate as who is going to travel to abuja to protest the name change.
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by israelbenzion: 4:54pm On Jun 06, 2012
Beaf: This was changed since last year, but the people did not ehxibit the sort of idiocy we are experiencing from MAULAG students.
Why they would spit on MKO's legacy is beyond me.
The FG owns the place and the students are mere tenants:

The only evident idiocy is d one u display. What u call idiocy is d singular trait that raises d West(Yorubas) above all others in terms of political awareness. In any other part of d country, that illegality wud have been swallowed. But it can't 'fly' in d West, trust them. If all parts of Nigeria were 'Westernised', we wud hv had a more robust democracy.
I hail these students. These r d new face of Nigeria.
Mind u, the argument has always been: y did he not follow due process?
And I bet u, the Senate will turn him down. Just watch. N u will die wen it happens. Punkhead!
Re: GEJ Seeks Senate Approval To Rename UNILAG And 2 Other Federal Universities. by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jun 06, 2012
Beaf:

With a choice of id like 12 inches, your people must be regretting tour birth. Dunce.

Let's get this str8...I dnt really like u...I think u're very senile and dumb jst like GEJ who happens to be ur role model

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

APC Governors' Forum To Sack Okorocha For Incompetence / VP Yemi Osinbajo Visits Abia State (Photos) / PDP To FG: Ensure That Fani-Kyode Does Not Die In Detention, Nigerians React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.