Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,640 members, 7,801,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running (10808 Views)

Futminna Students In Sports Attire For Test Today (Photo) / Okonjo-iweala: ASUU Distributes Insulting Pamphlets About Me In Mosques / Osun Distributes Free Tablet-Computers To Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Wemmy6284(m): 9:42pm On Jun 12, 2012
salaksmana: I dey laugh oooo, Osundefender again, are the tablets programmed in Yoruba because most of the students don't even understand english, and will there be a training on how to use it because most of them don't even know what a monitor or mouse or keyboard is. As for the people asking for 170 model schools, Aregbe has been building a prototype (Salvation army primary school Osogbo) since October last year and he hasn't complete it, so don't even ask for 170 of those for now. "Opon-Imo" ROFLMAO.
How do u know dat most of dem cannot speak English..Some just talk anyhow,...
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jun 12, 2012
Wemmy6284: How do u know dat most of dem cannot speak English..Some just talk anyhow,...
U're d one ranting anyhow, I was born in Osun, raised in Osun & I'm also in Osun presently, I'm not like some people that stays in another state or even outside the country and start commenting based on what they see.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by kiyosaki1(m): 10:43pm On Jun 12, 2012
the governor is nothing but an opportunist that with no clue about good governance but only school in advance area boys university
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by koruji(m): 12:43am On Jun 13, 2012
That is how you people keep peddling rumours. The truth is out there for those who would not be blindfolded by PDP's folly. Read for yourself if you can:

The party said the latest in the series of lies being peddled by the PDP were attempts to give a false impression that the Aregbesola-led ACN government in Osun State is grossly mismanaging the state's finances as well as engaging in a borrowing binge for which Aregbesola had criticized the Oyinlola's government.

According to Oyatomi: 'In a spate of allegations, the PDP had alleged that the ACN took loans of N25 billion from First Bank within the first three months in office, and another N35 billion from an Islamic Bank. Nothing could be farther from the truth than these lies.'

He said further: 'The truth of the matter is that the PDP in Osun State is moribund. It lacks credibility, and its leadership is too pedestrian in quality to mobilize against the Aregbesola-led ACN government. That is why the South West wing of the party is resorting to lies to confuse issues and create doubts in the minds of the uninformed people.

'For the avoidance of doubt, at no time did Aregbesola speak against borrowing. He only criticized Oyinlola for taking a commercial bank loan on prohibitively high interest rate just about when he was on his way out of government, and spending everything on ghost projects or outright stealing of money.

'Let the Nigerian public be informed, especially the good people of the South West geo-political zone that if Aregbesola can liquidate a commercial bank loan of N18.38 billion and then save N34 billion within just 11 months of his administration, that is the kind of leader to be trusted to excellently manage a bond of N30 billion. PDP's lies cannot change that fact.

'These allegations are totally untrue and in parts are deliberate misrepresentations of facts to create the impression that the state governor is running the state's finances badly.'

The ACN spokesman said, though, that the ACN owed the Nigerian public and the people of Osun State in particular the responsibility to make bare the facts and debunk PDP's lies, saying Aregbesola's government did not borrow N25 billion from First Bank, saying the amount was a facility generously offered the government by the bank to refinance Oyinlola's loan of N18.38 billion.

He said: 'Interestingly, the facility was offered after the Aregbesola-led government had repaid N10 billion of the Oyinlola loan, and the only amount utilized by the government from the facility was N8.6 billion.

'It is absolute fallacy that Aregbesola's government has taken a N35 billion from an Islamic bank. The truth is that the PDP-led federal government actually sourced $500 million from the said bank to assist states in the federation. Osun State is fortunate to be one of those selected by the federal government to benefit, and our proposed share of that money is $60 million. However the federal government is yet to give Osun state a kobo from the said money.

Olalekan 0: You have no idea what's going on in Osun.Aregbe has borrowed over 90B meanwhile he was crticizing his predecessor for borrowing just 18B!
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by koruji(m): 12:52am On Jun 13, 2012
They have mentioned 100,000 to 150,000 students. Frankly, I think this is one of the more risky initiatives by Gov. Aregbesola.

It would need to be closely monitored and adjusted as it works out.

However, he has shown that he is more interested in accomplishing major initiatives than simply pocketing people's funds. So, kudos with monitoring.

Akanbi_edu:

I am interested in the number of students involved. Does anybody have an idea?

2 Likes

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by koruji(m): 1:05am On Jun 13, 2012
Aggressive Kobjunkie here. Hey woman, you never rest!!! Everytime I read your post I must recalibrate, lest they appear as delibrate insults - which they are not.

Anyway, I am not trying to preach to anybody but giving my opinion on this initiative - and it is an initiative alright.

The FG never implemented its one-laptop-per-child policy - they gave samples to a couple of schools in Abuja and the money dried up as with most of their promises over the last few years. That doesn't mean that those promises are not good or desirable.

Like I mentioned somewhere else, and in fact implied in my two other posts, this is one of the riskiest initiatives Gov. Aregbesola has embarked on. It would have to be carefully considered before moving forward to distribute 100,000 tablets. Hopefully, this is a program that the Osun stakeholders will reconsider if it is not working out.

But, as I also said before the vision cannot be faulted. Implementation is always a different story.

As for the rest of the "epistle of Kobojunkie" it is simply too much.

Kobojunkie:

Go Preach that bull to someone else, will you? An Initiative of this sort has, to date, not benefitted our Education system. Osun is not the first state to attempt this. Many others, especially during the Yar adua years have attempted some of the same plans. What has become of those plans? And how many of them have positively impacted Educated in those states? I can confidently answer that question for you. NONE!!! Many of these have been temporary boosts for a handful, who at the end of the day have had to deal with the main reality, the education system remaining the same as it was before their receiving of these gadgets.
We have to remind ourselves here that this is tax-payer money being used here, and this ought to be used to re-build the education system as a whole, rather than purchase laptops/tablets to give out to students, who at the end of the day, need a good education system in place to help them make sense of these new gadgets and the power locked in them.

I think we have seen about enough of these "initiatives" to realize this is definitely not the way around our problem.
What majority of these programs seem to be focused on doing, and continue to do, is seek ways to cut AROUND the major issue, slap a band aid, or more on the sores in our education system. The more we pretend another one of these will change things, the more valuable funds, and time we waste. The kids are not getting any younger, and their futures are not waiting for us to get things right first.

Do you ever ask yourself, I mean before you post one of these lines of yours, whatever happened with the many mega/modern/ginormous plans of this sort in other states. Or are you one of those who believe the secret to success is in the doing the repeating the same old failed exercise, over and over, expecting a new outcome with each and every turn?

There is nothing path-breaking about his attempts, or your attempts to blow air up his arse here.

Please always bear in mind that when Government embarks on these so-called "initiatives", the tax-payer pays. These Governors are not using their allowances for these. It is money from the state that is applied. And if nothing substantial is gained at the end of it all, the people suffer it. This Governor, and others, will get his pay check, allowances and extras at the end of the day.

I can fault his vision, because, like the one's you claim maybe building 6 stadia for a state with no football team or N7 billion to demolish a hill , this 'initiative' seems to be born of a lack of ideas on how to best tackle the problems in our education system. I mean one can also blindly argue that the 6 stadia Governor is spending on improving sports in the state, and someone will tell us that too. But we all know that is crock, and so is your claim that spending state money buying a tablet for each student is spending money on improving education.
I don't understand why most every one of these governors keep coming up with about the same plan whenever it comes to tackling problems in Education, or whatever other sector. Building of classes (how many of them are even in near good shape to date since we have been reading of governors building new class units all over this country), distributing computers purchased with tax-payer money, distributing free textbooks, buying new school uniforms, building yet another privately run school (primary, secondary, university) only go to painting a new color over the problem, and not tackling it. And this has been revealed time and time again, as the indicators still point to a system still in decay.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by velo10: 1:36am On Jun 13, 2012
One Ipad each for a student for tst running? That's close to more than 50,0000. Wow the contractor don hammer.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by koruji(m): 1:43am On Jun 13, 2012
No, the test running is for only the School of Science SS1-SS3 levels. That is no more than a few 100s.

velo10: One Ipad each for a student for tst running? That's close to more than 50,0000. Wow the contractor don hammer.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Toosure70: 2:51am On Jun 13, 2012
spade: I think a wiser initiative would have been to purchase these computers as desktops, for the school libraries.
This idea of handing tablet computers to the students, seems stup.id, to be honest.
mr wise man, think about electricity
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Azcreativ(m): 4:00am On Jun 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:

This is an initiative? Really? What these kids, and tax-payers now need is for Government to spend already limited resources, not on IMPROVING EDUCATION ITSELF but purchasing Laptops for each and every student? So giving out about 100,000 tablets, bought with tax-payer money, is now considered an initiative?

How long is this "INITIATIVE" going to last?

I am 100% for improving our education system, and getting our students up to speed technology-wise, but this is no way to go about it, especially when we consider the resources are not unlimited. Purchasing computers for students in a crappy system will not do anything to actually improve the system. Only you will have students with expensive computers, still locked in to a crappy education system.

If we must introduce technology, states that have the funds are overdue for a library system. Studies from all over the world have shown that having well equipped libraries to cater to students of all levels, helps not only equip but motivate students.
Ɣou are technologically declined, how much do Ɣou think those tablets will cost?
1. If proper account is given TђC̶̲̥̅̊ chipping cost shouldn't be more than 15k from china.
2. Their battery life will be up to six to eight hours (no need to buy generator).
3. Their will be no much need for paper consumption(think cost of paper in terms of money, pollution and waste) e-learning rules TђC̶̲̥̅̊ world.
4. Student can learn faster and the state is on TђC̶̲̥̅̊ verge of technological explosion. The IT industry is a multi billion $ industry(think India)
5. Returns on investments in so many ways that will make this page bigger.
Oga wise up and see beyond your nose n stop been a critics. What have Ɣou done in your own way to better TђC̶̲̥̅̊ little office God has given Ɣou?

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by a1solution: 4:02am On Jun 13, 2012
Its a good strategy for the governor, it saves cost against next election. if he builds libaries as sujested pple at home wud not know he has done sumtin but with this customised tablet with govs name boldly written on top by next election instead of spending money printing posters the tablet wud serve atleast 90% of that purpose to save cost nd win more votes. politics is calculating now and future ok my pple!
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Azcreativ(m): 4:15am On Jun 13, 2012
Oga, shut your mouth, how many of those guyz in China who designed ur phone can speak english correctly. U ain't just thinking right. I reside in Ogbomoso, running a program in Ladoke University of Tech. I did my OND @ Offa, kwara state n Degree @ LASU, believe me guys from those areas will beat Ɣou hands down academically.
salaksmana:
U're d one ranting anyhow, I was born in Osun, raised in Osun & I'm also in Osun presently, I'm not like some people that stays in another state or even outside the country and start commenting based on what they see.

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by ziccoit: 6:55am On Jun 13, 2012
salaksmana:

Since you are 100% Osun, we can as well assume you too don't understand English Lang. You must have received both your sec and prim education in the state. Right?

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Nobody: 7:20am On Jun 13, 2012
Az-creativ:
Oga, shut your mouth, how many of those guyz in China who designed ur phone can speak english correctly. U ain't just thinking right. I reside in Ogbomoso, running a program in Ladoke University of Tech. I did my OND @ Offa, kwara state n Degree @ LASU, believe me guys from those areas will beat Ɣou hands down academically.
Ogbomoso and Offa. I can't argue with you since you only met those who even bother to further after secondary school. Come to Osun and I will show you what I'm saying, you said china pupils don't understand english, can't you open your eyes and see that I asked if those tablets are programmed in yoruba, china have computers programmed in there language. U're the one that should shut up.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Nobody: 7:24am On Jun 13, 2012
ziccoit:

Since you are 100% Osun, we can as well assume you too don't understand English Lang. You must have received both your sec and prim education in the state. Right?
Yeah, but I happened not to be among the MOST. Is education quality dropping in your area or increasing?
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 13, 2012
Toosure70: mr wise man, think about electricity
They will also need electricity to charge those tablets, the last time I saw electricity here in Iwo is about a week+, I travelled through Okuku, Ikirin and Osogbo yesterday and I didn't see light in any of those places (though this is a Naija issue), if he shouldn't installed desktop in libraries because of electricity (according to you) where would they get the light to charge there tablets, generator? Students are studying in an uncomfortable environment and the best thing to do for them is to give them ipads that will eventually be turned to games and browsing gadgets, 100 students for a test run after months of the promise, very soon he'll come out and say it's suspended because they didn't handle it well or we're still coming to other students. Hmmmmm almost 2 years now, only time will tell.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by niyitogun(m): 9:12am On Jun 13, 2012
spade: I think a wiser initiative would have been to purchase these computers as desktops, for the school libraries.
This idea of handing tablet computers to the students, seems stup.id, to be honest.

Well I have to start by saying, I admire his zeal for investing in education-kudos to him for that.. However it all depends on the cost of the tablets with regards to the value they bring, purchasing. computers in the school library my not serve the same purpose in the sense that, they would only be available during school hours for use- but with the tablets they could be used @ home to study or even @ night by the smart ones, also the the tablets can still go on working for some hours without electricity after they've been charged so the do not need constant power like the computers..luckily osun state has the best electricity supply in the south west- I stand to be corrected - so charging the tablets might not be as big a challenge when compared to other parts of the country ..also according to the post, all necessary textbooks and syllabuses are already on them, so they would help as most of the students can't afford this textbook...
...I won't be so fast to castigate this initiative since its a pilot project but would patiently wait to  how it plays out, perhaps we have to start from somwhere as rome wasn't built in a day - kudo's to the governor.

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Nobody: 9:28am On Jun 13, 2012
its not a new initiative. gov Fayemi of Ekiti did that 4 months ago and it was nt a test run. it was for real and a samsung laptop for that matter. i think its a silly idea. upgrade the school library to an ICT centre and stock it with lots of desktop computers in stead of dashing out tablets that would be stolen or sold by their siblings.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by adyby(m): 9:43am On Jun 13, 2012
salaksmana:
Don't you think that this initiative is born out of the fact that the gov realised that most of you can neither speak nor write good English which made him to convene Education summit in Osogbo and the outcome of which reccommended this?

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by adyby(m): 10:14am On Jun 13, 2012
salakobaba:
They will also need electricity to charge those tablets, the last time I saw electricity here in Iwo is about a week+, I travelled through Okuku, Ikirin and Osogbo yesterday and I didn't see light in any of those places (though this is a Naija issue), if he shouldn't installed desktop in libraries because of electricity (according to you) where would they get the light to charge there tablets, generator? Students are studying in an uncomfortable environment and the best thing to do for them is to give them ipads that will eventually be turned to games and browsing gadgets, 100 students for a test run after months of the promise, very soon he'll come out and say it's suspended because they didn't handle it well or we're still coming to other students. Hmmmmm almost 2 years now, only time will tell.
Bros, you don't assume that every initiative will definitely fail. When it fails then all of us here will contructively criticise him for the failure. You see, we have seen enough of failed promises in that state and let me be sincere with you many of us are happy with him because, atleast, he is better than Oyinlola that borrowed N18b to build 6 stadia in the state. This is after having spent over 6 years as a gov without any state owned football club. Just imagine that! If you are following events in Osun state, you will recall that OYES received more criticism than this, and now World bank and some states in the North came to Osun to understudy it. The pay is too small though, I challenge you to make independent findings on this, those guys are happy doing it.

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 11:59am On Jun 13, 2012
I'm sorry I have to say this all again. I keep seeing NLrs that have purposely refused to reason, and some jump into the ship of a not well thought out arguement; may be because the first few postings did same.

I will do two things here;
1. I will go back to page 1 and start deconstructing some arguements 1-by-1. Thank God it's my lunch hour
2. I'll tell you how this initiative is actually a global initiative with the global goal of connecting every school and part of the MGD

well I can only laff and the arrogance with which some people display ignorance....

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 12:15pm On Jun 13, 2012
Madam,

Humour me.
1. What makes it not an Initiative? (short of asking you to go familiarize yourself with the meaning) In fact you sound confused when trying to be logical. What money will a government use for Initiatives? Is there any rule that forbid's government use of tax-payers money?
2. I think equity in this context demands you unwramp some of your seeming suggestions which are largly vague and not specific. "Improving Educations itself" specifically how? Name other alternatives? Point is when you decide to look at issues like these in isolation, then you come with half-baked and not thorougly processed assumptions. This is beyond typing in haste and I dare say hate, just becos you don't like Aregbesola.
3. Do you know this model is being done in countries like Kenya, Rwnda, Mynar, Nicaragua, Madagascar, Paraguay, Iraq, Napal, Afghanistan, Peru, Uruguay etc for starters. what is common to all these countries = 3+rd world
4. Do you know this model is actually part of the MDG? Let me give you an example. When India started their IT/Internet penetrance as part of the MDG, they gave internet free of charge to all women for 5yrs......
5. I believe you have good suggestions and intentions, especially looking at the underlined. But how you see this initiative and well equipped library as alternative, beats my imagination. Library and this laptop per child initative are actually complimentary. They can't replace each other.
6. Many NGOs and government bodies are encouraged to either donate or actually do this project in their domain. I think you need to familiarize yourself with the education aspirations of the MDG and initiatives to make it achievable. Just blasting intiatives in sheer ignorance is down-right low.

Kobojunkie:

This is an initiative? Really? What these kids, and tax-payers now need is for Government to spend already limited resources, not on IMPROVING EDUCATION ITSELF but purchasing Laptops for each and every student? So giving out about 100,000 tablets, bought with tax-payer money, is now considered an initiative?

How long is this "INITIATIVE" going to last?

. I am 100% for improving our education system, and getting our students up to speed technology-wise, but this is no way to go about it, especially when we consider the resources are not unlimited. Purchasing computers for students in a crappy system will not do anything to actually improve the system. Only you will have students with expensive computers, still locked in to a crappy education system.

If we must introduce technology, states that have the funds are overdue for a library system. Studies from all over the world have shown that having well equipped libraries to cater to students of all levels, helps not only equip but motivate students.

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 12:18pm On Jun 13, 2012
To be honest, I think you should check what you call stup.id, becos your alternative is even the more stup.id. When you're the world is moving towards ubiquitos computing, mobility and quick access, you're talking about some big box? Please.......
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 12:25pm On Jun 13, 2012
I think you're simply naive...... we shouldn't resort to blaming our leaders all the time for this sake of it, especially for something we don't understand......

"What would studednt use computer tablet for in secondary school" is a very ridiculous question. If you have a tablet yourself, what is more important? the tablet or the apps that allows you to do the necessary and desirable things. The article/report says these tablets will be loaded with necessary apps that addresses the identified learning gaps i.e. curriculum, ebooks, subjects, past questions.

I think some of you guys are erroneously thingking this is Ipad3...... these are just customized stripped-down version of the original thing. As far back as Y'ardua days, the proponent/NGOs were looking at a $100

alj harem: Misplaced priority, confused set of leaders

What would student use computer tablets for in secondary school ?

What students would need would be a library with standard computer, renovate the schools to good standards etc not give each student a tablet.

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 12:29pm On Jun 13, 2012
You're right....they are cheap, affordable for the government and we have to start one way or the other. unfortunately people don't realize how we need to invest in knowledge development in our school children. Yes with hurdles, and those are milestones to improve the initiative.
all4naija: Indeed, if these tablets are connected at cheap price they become useful tools in acquiring knowledge. We are living in information age. It is a very good thing but with some hurdles.

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by emmasege: 12:30pm On Jun 13, 2012
salakobaba:

Thank u my broda, i happen to come from that axis as well. I personally don't have any interest in his policies because he tries to "over-do" things or better put he takes things to the extreme. So much was promised but with little or nothing to show for it, and yet propaganda would not let us rest. what again baffles me about this man is that he seems to forget the yoruba adage that says "mo ja mo sa la fi nmo akinkanju l'oju ogun i.e. a valiant soldier is one who knows when to fight and when to retreat. I have seen other ACN govs including Fashola and Oshiomole eulogising/fraternising with the FG when duty demands. I even heard Amosun appreciating FG/president recently for giving them the approval to carry out a certain project, but this is not the case with our own aregbe who seems to be more catholic than the pope i.e more ACN than tinubu himself. Has he forgotten that Osun is not and can't be self-sufficient like Lagos. I just hope he's able to deliver at the end of the day, otherwise he would have succeeded in alienating Osun from Abuja while he flees to Lagos where he came from.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 12:32pm On Jun 13, 2012
The stocked library that has been there since the 80s, what happened to them. There are no guarantees, and we can't continue to do the same thing and expect different results, else we become idi.ots. We need to try new approaches, new and better ways of doing things and getting better results
Onyenna:

Seconded....... This is the best idea.... very good library full of computers to meet the student needs instead of buying tablets year in, year out...... Simple.....

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 12:34pm On Jun 13, 2012
Good thinking. I hope with the test, they collect such data, especially list of sites visited during the test, hours of usage per day, battery durability etc... these are the things that will form the areas of improvements
Zeus Zuco: Hmmmm not bad I see it as a form of e-learning one major suggestion should be these tablets should be customized in a way students can't play games with them, watch movies etc. Music is allowed and when browsing certain websites are prevented from opening. Hence the aim would be deafeated.

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 12:41pm On Jun 13, 2012
Gbaade,

1. "Can this initiative be sustained?" is a good question. Yes it can if we collectively put in the required drive. The original proponents of the initiative are leveraging on donations from world bank, IMF, Federal and state government, private sectors and individuals like you or I. If a government cannot afford to spend about 20k per student in a space of 3yrs, then what social benefit should they get? besides states governments have been paying for WAEC, NECO etc exams since 1999 todate......

2. What you call crappy waste of money is identified in the MDG as one of the ways to bridge the knowledge gap between the school children in the advance countries and the 3rd world. Please google "Did you know? and watch some of the stats and idea

gbadexy: Sincerely speaking, this is a misplaced priority.
Can this initiative be sustained with every senior student having one yearly? What happens to the tablet after they passout of school,what is the unit cost and is there a service center for it.
I have never commented about the man but I am disappointed in him for this crappy waste of money.

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by docjuli(m): 12:43pm On Jun 13, 2012
Akanbi_edu:

Did you miss the part that says

"Installed in each of the computer tablets are the soft copies of all the subjects being offered in secondary schools with different text books and lesson notes, as well as past questions of West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), National Examination Council Examination (NECO), as well as Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME)."

The tablets are obviously meant to aid learning and not some gift.

How many students are we talking about here?

Nooooooooooooo. Anyway, it is not too late for me sha. I have a project like that but mine is just past question papers and all info about Nigeria reproduced in a 10' Tablet.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 12:43pm On Jun 13, 2012
@emmasege,

I'd rather we stay on the topic of discussion that you to vent your anger on Aregbesola overdoing things, not partnering with FG and wanting to be independent; else you've not said anything wrt the discussion at hand
emmasege:

Thank u my broda, i happen to come from that axis as well. I personally don't have any interest in his policies because he tries to "over-do" things or better put he takes things to the extreme. So much was promised but with little or nothing to show for it, and yet propaganda would not let us rest. what again baffles me about this man is that he seems to forget the yoruba adage that says "mo ja mo sa la fi nmo akinkanju l'oju ogun i.e. a valiant soldier is one who knows when to fight and when to retreat. I have seen other ACN govs including Fashola and Oshiomole eulogising/fraternising with the FG when duty demands. I even heard Amosun appreciating FG/president recently for giving them the approval to carry out a certain project, but this is not the case with our own aregbe who seems to be more catholic than the pope i.e more ACN than tinubu himself. Has he forgotten that Osun is not and can't be self-sufficient like Lagos. I just hope he's able to deliver at the end of the day, otherwise he would have succeeded in alienating Osun from Abuja while he flees to Lagos where he came from.

2 Likes

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by emiye(m): 12:48pm On Jun 13, 2012
This is a laudable initiative. !!!!!

i believe this is meant to work like a mobile library for the students.

A typical desktop workstation is way costly to set up than this, and limits the student access to just 8am - 3pm on school days. It is way different from a desktop computer, as there is virtually constant access to the information 24 hours from Sunday to Sunday, except when the battery is down.

I dont think they will be provide internet access on the tablet to those who fear that might encourage students watching indecency. The State government can then configure the tablet to be read only, such that information can not be deleted or stored by the students on the tablet except by the manufacturer.( that way no student can download music or games)

Imagine a situation where a science students has Modern biology , Ababio chemistry, P.n Okeke Physics e.t.c all the 9 textbooks for the 9 subjects on a single tablet A teacher can even give out assignments on their mobile textbooks

The tablet also has advantage than a laptop, as it would be more compact, easy to carry and charge.

Service centres need to be opened across the states for repairs, and students need to be adequately trained on how to operate and handle the tablets with care.

I see great success with this initiative, but they must thread with caution, poor project planning means a great loss to the state

My greatest fear is the fund,This will set the state bottomline back by roughly 10 billion Naira [/b]all other cons by some posters mentioned can be easily surmounted.

i believe the average population of a s.s1 - s.s 3 class should be 500 students, and Osun state should have roughly 500 state owned government schools. That equals 500 * 500 = [b]250,000 tablets

Those tablets with the functionalities might cost over N30,000.

250,000 tablets * N30,000 = N7.5 billion Naira. Other expenses like spares, service centre, training will push the total cost to the N10 billion.

N10 billion is no small money for a state like Osun state to gamble with, there are other pressing educational needs in the state in the primary and junior secondary arm of the state schools

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Maduka University Enugu Makes History With Matriculation Of Over 600 Students / Should Part-Time Study Be Abolished? / What Will Be Your Reaction If This Happens To You(pic).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.